Mashed chickpeas create a texture very similar to flaked chicken and the sauce gets a boost from a creamy eggless mayonnaise. I’ve also added a hefty amount of crunchy vegetables like celery, green onion, pickles, and bell peppers to give it a great crunch and loads of fibre. Serve this salad in pieces of Boston or Bibb lettuce, in a wrap or sandwich, or on crackers. If you have a picnic or road trip in store you’ll be happy to know that it packs well. Recipe is lightly adapted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook.
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) store-bought or homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons (7.5 to 15 mL) fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until flaked in texture.
- Stir in the celery, green onions, pickles, bell peppers, mayonnaise, and garlic until combined.
- Now, stir in the mustard and dill, and season with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, adjusting the quantities to taste.
- Serve with toasted bread, on crackers, wraps, or on top of a basic leafy green salad. Or just enjoy it all on its own!
- If you’d like a soy-free version of this salad, be sure to use soy-free vegan mayonnaise. Vegenaise makes a great soy-free version.