Cashew Sour Cream

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 13, 2016

4.8 from 35 reviews

Cashew Sour Cream

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

Rich and tangy, this vegan sour cream is the perfect complement to My Favourite Vegan Chili or any Mexican entrée. Be sure to soak the cashews (either overnight or using my quick-soak method) before you begin.

Yield
2 cups (500 mL)
Soak time
1-8 hours
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups (225 g) raw cashews, soaked
  • 3/4 cup (190 mL) water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • Scant 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Directions:

1. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time. For a quick-soak method, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 1 hour. Rinse and drain.
  2. Place the drained cashews in a high-speed blender.
  3. Add the water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until super smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
  4. Transfer into a small, air-tight container and chill in the fridge. It makes 2 cups. The cream will thicken up as it chills. The cream will keep in the fridge for about 1 week. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month. I like to freeze it in silicone mini muffin cups. Once solid, transfer the cups into a freezer-safe zip bag for easy grab and go portions.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 2 tablespoons (30 mL) | Calories 80 calories | Total Fat 6 grams
Saturated Fat 1 grams | Sodium Fat 65 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 4 grams
Fiber 0 grams | Sugar 1 grams | Protein 3 grams

There are 16 (2-tablespoon) servings per recipe.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Page 2 of 2«12
Diane November 12, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

A staple in my house!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017 at 7:35 am

Thanks Diane, so happy you love it!

Snfy November 29, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Yummy. I made this for chili topping. It was great served this way. Waiting for my daughter to taste test. She doesn’t like nuts seeds etc. hope she liked it. I loved it

Sharon December 2, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Hey, do you think almonds would work as well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2017 at 8:06 am

Hey Sharon, Oh good question. If using almonds, I would be sure to use the skinned (blanched) kind and be sure to soak them well. If memory serves me correct the almonds don’t tend to get quite as creamy and smooth as the cashews.

Silvia Roldán December 14, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Hi, can I use lime juice instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2017 at 11:16 am

Hey Silvia, I haven’t tried it, but lime juice might be fun…especially if pairing with Mexican cuisine! Enjoy

Stacy January 8, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made this and liked the spatula clean! Can’t wait to make sour cream coffee cake with it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 9, 2018 at 8:30 am

Sour cream coffee cake…I love the way you think :)

Mary January 11, 2018 at 12:34 am
Recipe Rating:

Every time I make this, I think – why don’t I make this more often?! So delicious. Had it tonight with our favorite tofu and parsnip green enchiladas – a great addition! Many thanks for your wonderful recipes, Angela..

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Oh that sounds like a fab combo. Thanks Mary!

Devon Winkler January 11, 2018 at 9:45 am

This was not good it tastes nothing like sour cream and smelled awful:(

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Aw so sorry to hear that, Devon!

Mindi January 15, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Recipe Rating:

I loved the flavor of this but had a hard time getting it to thicken even post refrigerator, maybe less waster next time?? Also has anyone tried the mayonnaise? I followed the recipe to a T and the flavor was great but super runny, any suggestions? Overall loving these recipes, some of the absolute best out there.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2018 at 9:06 am

Hey Mindi, I’m sorry you had a hard time getting this to thicken. Yes it does sound like too much water was the issue. How much did you use?

As for the mayonnaise, did you change anything in the recipe? I find it’s one of those recipes that has to be followed to a tee as it’s pretty finicky.

Kaitlin January 22, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Hey! I just made this tonight. It tastes really good but the texture is really grainy (to help you visualize it, it almost looks like curdled milk). I followed the directions using the quick soak method and blended everything in my Ninja blender for several minutes. It’s nice and thick but definitely not smooth. What could I have done wrong? Thank you for your time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2018 at 8:14 am

Hey Kaitlin, Oh so sorry to hear that! Some blenders aren’t able to blend nuts smooth so my guess is that it’s the blender.

Paula August 13, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

Kaitlin, I just made this using my Ninja blender and it came out fantastic. I did the quick soak method with boiling water and left the nuts two hours to soak while I was off doing other things. The secret to using the Ninja with nut spreads and butters is to take your time. If it looks ‘curdled’ you need to blend it longer. Your Ninja will do it, it just takes more time. Once it gets smooth, take it out & refrigerate it. The day after you make it the spread will get even smoother as the nuts further break down and the flavors marry. Thank you for this recipe, Angela! I am currently doing a sour cream recipe cook-off to see which recipe I like best. So far, this is the winner.

Dani Smith January 23, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Easy and delicious!

Kyle January 26, 2018 at 9:20 am
Recipe Rating:

I bought your Oh She Glows Everyday cookbook a while back and last night decided to whip up your cabbage soup recipe with this sour cream. The soup was amazing but the sour cream was the closest to the real thing I have had! I loved it so much I came here to find other recipes I can use it in!

Thank you for what you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Hey Kyle, Yay, that’s so great to hear! Thank you for letting me know, and a big thanks also for supporting my cookbook. I hope you find more hidden (or non-hidden) gems!

Sharon January 27, 2018 at 11:53 am

I am obsessed with this. I’ve eaten this cashew sour cream, along with sciracha, on just about everything over the past month. Pasta, tacos, breakfast hash, burritos, soups, avotoast – you name it. I’ll be making this pretty much forever.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2018 at 9:58 am

“I’ll be making this pretty much forever.” hahah love it!! Thanks Sharon. And yes it’s SO good on avocado toast isn’t it?

Sheila February 16, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Is there a alternative/substitute for the cashews?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Hi Shella, You can try using 3/4 cup soaked raw sunflower seeds instead, but the flavour will change quite a bit. If you try anything out please let me know how it goes. :)

Eric February 22, 2018 at 3:45 pm

I love cashew sour cream – and I thought I was doing the healthy thing by using it as a substitute for real sour cream. Im not a vegan – I just want to be healthier and I’m trying to lose weight. I was very surprised and disheartened to learn that cashew “sour cream” has over TWICE the calories of real dairy sour cream. I guess there is no magic bullet when it comes to cutting calories. I will still eat it, but a lot less often than I have been knowing its something of a calorie bomb :)

Mia March 7, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

Ok, this was DELICIOUS! So glad to have found a recipe that is plant based & super yum!

Rachel Rogers March 21, 2018 at 2:45 am

Made this tonight to top my quinoa meat tacos and man! It was perfect! It would even work in lasagna with a couple extra seasonings. Yummy stuff and easy!! 👍👍

Rebekah March 21, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made this tonight and it was exceptional…well done!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2018 at 7:36 am

Thank you Rebekah!

Kelly April 12, 2018 at 6:24 am

This is actually so good! I’m surprised with how good it actually tastes and I think I might like this more that actual sour cream! I added a bit more lemon juice to get more of that sour taste. This goes perfectly with chili!!

Audrey @ Unconventional Baker May 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Recipe Rating:

Made a batch of this sour cream tonight and it worked a treat as a homemade alternative! Thanks for the quick and simple recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Audrey! So happy you enjoyed it.

Val May 9, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

I have had such cravings of late for sour cream. I went to your site and crossed my fingers you would not let me down. As always, you did not :) Wonderful recipe!! If I want more sour, would I add a wee bit more lemon juice and vinegar? Don’t want to waste my expensive cashews on trial and error ;) Thanx again for a truly satisfying condiment.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2018 at 7:11 am

Yes you can definitely add a bit more lemon and vinegar…i would just add them in very small increments :) Thanks for your kind words, by the way!

Lauralyn May 21, 2018 at 1:06 am

I’m so looking forward to trying this recipe!
Are there any other types of vinegars that I could use as a substitute?

Thank you!!

Ti August 2, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Made a batch and just love it! Super tasty!

Thanks