With a homemade enchilada sauce so easy and tasty, you’ll never buy store bought again! Use this sauce in my Next Level Enchiladas.
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour, all-purpose flour, or white spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 scant cup (8 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt or other fine sea salt
- In a medium pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat or simply add the oil and increase heat to medium.
- Stir in the flour until a thin paste forms.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, and cayenne pepper until combined. Cook for a couple minutes over medium heat until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste followed by the broth. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer over low-medium heat. Stir in salt to taste and continue simmering until thickened for about 5 minutes, or longer if desired.