Chia Seed Breakfast Bowl

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 18, 2013

chiaseedporridge-2058

My skin is not a happy camper lately.

I don’t know what’s up, but I know it’s ticked off. Angry. Inflamed. What’s the problem? That, my friends, is anyone’s guess. When a girl has puffy, itchy eyes and rashes on her face, it’s time to slow down and pay attention. If you’ve ever been the detective for your own strange skin reactions, you know just how daunting this process can be. Everything is questioned.

Not surprisingly, my family doctor suggested an allergy elimination diet and to examine my environment for possible culprits. I’ve switched our detergents, soaps, shampoos, and I’ve retired make-up for the time being. That was the easy part. The elimination diet and food journaling, on the other hand, are proving to be rather difficult as a recipe developer. It’s my worst nightmare actually.

chia seeds-0744-2

Of course, skin flare ups could be from a billion things, including stress. I’m a big fan of stress-relieving practices, but I’m not so good at carrying them out in my own life. When life gets crazy and deadlines are looming, I often left my own health slide in the process. I know I’ve said it a million and one times, but I need to work on this.

As I’m leaving my doctor’s office she says, “Above all, DO NOT stress about the rashes. Stress is the absolute worst thing for your skin.”

[Is it just me or do you get more stressed out when someone tells you not to stress? ahh]

She’s so right though. I need to take a chill pill.

chiaseedporridge-2071

Of course, breakfast is a natural way to start the day on the right foot. I’m a big fan of breakfasts that can be made in advance, such as Green Monsters (just give them a good stir in the morning), raw buckwheat porridge, vegan overnight oats, and this chia pudding. Even though they take just a few minutes to throw together before bed, I’d fallen out of the habit of prepping them. But man oh man, it makes such a difference to wake up to a nutritious breakfast ready to be enjoyed!

The recipe below makes 2 servings so you can share it with a loved one or wrap up the leftovers for your next craving, which if you are like me won’t be far off.

rawchiaseedporridge-2079 rawchiaseedporridge-2080rawchiaseedporridge-2084 rawchiaseedporridge-2088

Chia Seed Breakfast Bowl

I like mashed banana in this because it thickens the mixture while adding a lot of volume. If you aren’t a banana fan, you can omit it, but you might need to reduce the milk and I also suggest adding in your own sweetener and/or other fruit in its place. This porridge is especially creamy when made with Homemade Almond Milk. The thickness of the chia pudding will vary based on the kind of almond milk you use, so you can add more if necessary. If your pudding is too thin for you liking you can add more chia seeds and let it sit for 10 more minutes. Finally, if you aren’t a fan of the tapioca-like texture of chia seed pudding, try blending it until smooth.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

Chia mixture

• 4 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 – 1.25 cups almond milk (it’s great made with Homemade Almond Milk)
  • 2 small bananas, chopped small
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • two pinches of cinnamon

Toppings:

• 2 tbsp raw buckwheat groats, soaked
  • 2 tbsp raisins, soaked
  • 2 tbsp whole raw almonds, chopped and soaked
  • couples pinches of cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp hemp seeds

1. Mash bananas in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in chia seeds. Whisk in the almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until combined. Place in fridge overnight to thicken.

2. Add buckwheat groats, raisins, and chopped almonds into another bowl. Cover in water and soak overnight in the fridge or on the counter.

3. In the morning, place your desired amount of chia pudding into a bowl. (Note: at this point, you can blend your chia pudding if a smooth texture is desired, but I don’t bother). You can add more almond milk if you want to thin it out in the morning. Or, if it’s too thin, add more chia seeds to thicken it up. Drain and rinse the buckwheat/almond/raisin mixture. Sprinkle on top of chia mixture along with a pinch of cinnamon and a tablespoon of hemp seeds. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired. Store leftovers in the fridge for 1-2 days.

For nutritional info, see here.

chiaseedporridge-2065

Have you ever dealt with a strange skin reaction or allergy? What did you do?

Page 5 of 5«12345
Lyndsay July 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

This looks so good! I bookmarked it on my laptop to try this week:) I just got into eating chia seeds, they freak me out a little bit since they look like mini reptile eggs. But so far they have been tasteless in all of my meals!

Yes I have had awful skin rashes and breakouts, and it took me my whole life to figure out that I am highly intolerant to dairy. But there are countless things it could be for you , I have learned not to look up my symptoms on the internet because with most cases, I should have already been dead ha-ha.

I hope someone helps you figure this out! All I can think of is an allergy/intolerance to something you may have been eating. Have you ever gotten allergy tests before?

Maggie July 29, 2013 at 7:00 am

This is absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to eat it again. It is super easy to make and definitely worth the before bed prep.

Meghan August 28, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Could you freeze this, in small batches? Without harming the consistency, I mean. I am switching to the blood type diet for O type (kind of like the paleo diet) and this was a recommended recipe. I like to cook ahead of time so I dont have to think about it, and Ive always froze things.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hi Meghan, Im sorry I don’t know – let me know if you try it out!

Sherry August 30, 2013 at 9:59 am

This was my first try at one of your recipes, Angela, and it’s a good one and oh so easy. I had concocted my own version of this but had not thought of the grouts. I tried it for breakfast this morning and really enjoyed it. Easy to switch out dried fruit and other nuts for an equally good taste.

LB September 11, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I’m actually having skin rashes and hives on my face, tongue and legs BECAUSE of chia seeds. Just thought I would let you know that the chia seeds may be the culprit of your skin problems, too!

Sunny*~ October 10, 2013 at 12:27 am

Easy to find out! Kinesiology- Muscle Test! Your body will tell you everything you need to know through cellular memory. You are a Divine Being. All the answers lay within you. Whilst your doctor only guesses! :>)
Your body through M-Testing will tell you what is causing skin probs or any other problem you may have. It will through M-Testing tell you also for example what you should be having n not having and how many times a week. For .E.G Your muscle may lock up for a yes to fish.. Then test which fish. Then test how many times a week is neutral without causing any inflammation , then how many times a week for ultimate health. Fish has only been used as a E.G. I have helped a lot of people through Muscle Testing. No more guessing ! Just fact from the one whom knows best ~*You*~ the Divine Miraculous You ARE and have always been.
Also barley powder made up to a paste is awesome for irritated, red flared up skin. It cleanse, rejuvenates and Alkaline s it! Bright n glowing!
Wishing Abundance of Health Happiness and complete Joy :>)
Sunny.

Sunny*~ October 10, 2013 at 12:32 am

P.S~ Seen a lot of difference sticking to your Blood types too. Just because something maybe healthy like banana, mango, tomatoe, egg plant, oranges etc.. Does not mean it is in alignment with your Blood type make up. For EG Blood type A’s have ultimate health when these mentioned foods are withdrawn. As they act as a inflammation rather then giving health. yet other blood types can thrive off them. Check your blood type and check the list for your diet. Overall the best indicator is Your muscle being tested for what is RIght FOR ~*YOU*~ . We are all different period. With diff constitutions. :>)

Skye (NZ) December 10, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Hi there,
Wonderful blog, recipes, stories… Love the nourishing, healthy, tasty theme.
I recommend milk thistle (and other liver herbs) for helping the skin, as well as good ferments for the gut.

Sarai December 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I’m totally having this for breakfast tomorrow :D

Kamini January 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Yum. I made this last night for breakfast today and felt like I was treating myself. It was so good. The only thing that confuses me is the nutritional info. My sources tell me chia seeds have 8 gms of fat in one ounce/2 tbsps, bananas have 0.4 gms of fat, and a cup of almond milk is 3 gms. So the total fat grams in one serving should be max 12 gms not 19 as your info states? Did I calculate something wrong? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi there, I think mine is higher because I included the toppings in the nutritional info. Hope this helps!

Kamini January 11, 2014 at 10:59 am

Oh duh…of course. Got it, makes sense. Thanks.

HANNA February 11, 2014 at 3:05 am

hi
how do u stop bananas from going black when they are mashed up in advance?? My pudding just looked black in the morning…yak…

Deeksha May 2, 2014 at 4:40 am

Hey Angela,

I stumbled across ur blog while looking for Chia seed benefit & recipes. Thanks for all the information. I still haven’t tried it and since u’ve written the entry almost a year ago, you must be using Chia seeds regularly in your diet. Have you noticed any difference in your energy levels, weight?

Since it isn’t easy get these in India, I would really like to know the benefits from someone who has already used it before I start investing in them. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks & loved ur other recipes as well! Subscribed ur blog on Feedly.
Deeksha

Lizzie May 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Hi! I’m going to prepare this dish for breakfast tomorrow and can’t wait to taste it! Could you please clarify the purpose of soaking raisins and chopped almonds? That is new to me and I’m curious to learn about the reason/benefit. Thanks in advance!

Bill May 26, 2014 at 8:39 am

I’ve been looking for alternative breakfasts that are tasty and filling and this one is awesome. The drizzle of maple syrup sealed the deal. Every day I look to make better choices and my breakfasts are now a better choice. Thanks for a great recipe!

Kristin June 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

This was..okay. The flavor was decent but it looks horrible. Mine didn’t come out like the photo–it turned into a medium grey-brown color that scared everyone I showed it too. I probably won’t make this again.

Donna August 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I was wondering about the banana darkening overnight – could it be added before serving for a better presentation?

Mel July 6, 2014 at 11:14 am

I love all the recipes with chia seeds. I have developed an intolerance for bananas. What you recommend as an alternative to mix with chia seeds?

Nicole July 18, 2014 at 8:26 am

I have have fairly severe adult acne, and constantly have allergic skin reactions. I’ve been the heaty medication route, and it was one of my biggest regrets. Right now, Im using seabuckthorn seed oil once a day on my face (just a few drops of the oil, not a cream made with it), and now have next to no acne. Wish I had known about it 10 years ago.

Ashley August 14, 2014 at 1:51 am

Hi! I have had a very strange reaction and it was an auto-immune response to an over worked gut. I had leaky gut. At thus point in time I was eating gluten-free and vegan. I searched out help by doctors and specialists and no luck. I had allergy tests, still nothing. Than I finally webt to see a naturopath and she tested me with their food sensitivity screening. To my dismay, my doctor recommended me following a strict GAPS diet. I did this for a year, had a lot of cleansing of my gut and I have been free from joy strange skin reaction!

Nicole October 8, 2014 at 3:32 am

Thank-you, so much for posting this!!

I’m on an elimination diet at the moment as well and I’m seriously struggling.
Having delish fodmap friendly recipes like this pop up in my feed really helps :)

Thanks again
Nicole

Samantha October 9, 2014 at 9:50 am

I can’t tell you how much I love this recipe! I had tried a different chia seed pudding recipe last year and it was horrible. On a whim, since I love your other recipes, decided to try this one since it had the addition of mashed banana. It’s totally changed my view on “chia seed pudding”! I love it. This morning, I added a spoonful of pumpkin, chopped pecans, and cinnamon on top and it was delicious! thank you!!

Kristi Borst October 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Chia seeds are a recent addition to my diet. This recipe was recommended to me by a nutritionist. I love the topping suggestions, along with the realization that I can personalize this very easily with other toppings that I love.

In response to your and all of the other posts about chronic skin problems:

My calling is intuitive energy healing, and I have helped people with skin rashes which dermatologists, allergists, acupuncturists, and even Lahey Clinic couldn’t resolve. Their answer was eating only chicken and veggies or going on prednisone.

I urge individuals with long-term or chronic skin flare ups to consult an energy healer near them or who does distance healing.

Kristi

Christie November 12, 2014 at 7:35 am

Thanks for this recipe. I’m really enjoying it with finely chopped organic apple instead of the banana and walnuts (my favorite nut) instead of almonds. I was thinking about how you usually put a bit of salt in oatmeal and added a little sea salt to this too. I think it added a nice touch. This breakfast really replicates the oatmeal experience for me without messing up my blood sugar like oatmeal (unfortunately) does. And I feel great afterwards! Looking forward to trying it with pumpkin soon.

Your blog is so beautiful and inspiring…one of the happiest places on the Internet for me!

Hayley November 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I love your blog. I just enjoyed the chia seed breakfast bowl, for my breakfast. I cannot wait to try another recipe.

Hayley

Hayley November 27, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hayley

Vicky December 16, 2014 at 6:27 am

Hi Angela,

Could it be that you’re allergic to nickel? It’s in healthy natural foods in abundance.

Vicky x

Diane February 25, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Vicky-
It is actually because of a systemic reaction on my hands from a nickel allergy that I ended up looking at this blog. I’m trying desperately to find something good to eat and am holding my bag of chia seeds wondering if they’re ok.This recipe looks great except that I can’t eat any of it. No nuts… Was wondering about the chia seeds though.

Carrie December 16, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I’ve recently started mixing up seed ‘porridges’ or ‘mousse’ for breakfast. Hemp, chia and cocoa soaked overnight. Whipped up in the blender in the morning. Then topped with fresh fruit and nuts. Yummy! Great breakfast alternative when I want to avoid grains.

Belinda January 29, 2015 at 1:49 am

I know this is about food, but our family has a great new solution for acne. Melt 2 Tlbs. coconut oil and add 5-6 drops of melaleuka essential oil. Pour into recycled chapstick container and allow to solidify in a cool place. Treat acne twice daily-we have consistently seen results within 24 hours. Back to glowing!

Caroline February 20, 2015 at 12:38 am

I have eczema flare-ups and allergies in summer and I have found that Chia seeds cause a major reaction with my skin which is a shame because it is listed as a cure and is rich in omega 3, but not for me, and maybe you too. Also, my daughter gets hives and she had the worst reaction ever to this, her mouth became misshapen and for longer than usual after I served her the seeds in a meal. However, I haven’t tried sprouting the chia seed, so that might be an option for you but I am not going to risk it. Also dairy causes some occasional eczema issues for me too. My eczema presents with rashes on my face with some raised swelling under the eyes, and my neck has the more traditional raised, very itchy, red, dry skin. I hope this is helpful

Sophie March 11, 2015 at 2:40 am

Hi Angela, I love chia pudding, this recipe is great! I haven’t had a chance to read all 247 (!!) posts from the last few years, but my friend who introduced me to this blog has a Chia allergy! In looking into the symptoms they can manifest in rashes, hives and possibly diarrhea & vomiting in extreme cases. Due to their high level of Omega 3 they can thin blood and reduce blood pressure which is usually a good thing unless you are about to have surgery or already have low blood pressure!

Just wanted to share incase it helps anyone :) would love for you to check out my FB page www.facebook.com/sosweetsofine or instagram sofeed THANKS!! :)

Cassie March 16, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Chia seeds are awesome! Would this work with chia powder?

Emily May 2, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I absolutely love this recipe! The mashed banana really gives this chia seed pudding the extra oomph for a breakfast bowl. Also I added a heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder to the recipe and it was SO delicious, I definitely recommend it to all fellow chocolate lovers out there!

Siubhan May 6, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Hi, this looks delicious. Only thing is… I don’t like bananas! Any alternative suggestions? Also, why do you soak your almonds?

Christina July 9, 2015 at 9:31 am

I this recipe but I recently have an allergy to banana. Are there and recommended substitutions? I love your blog it has me feeling some find recipes that can eat with Crohns.

Mari September 11, 2015 at 9:48 pm

hi, I get adult acne around my jaw. It’s do to egg allergy and potatoes. My skin would break out painfully and not heal. Now I can tolerate potatoes and local farm eggs.

Catherine January 12, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Just wanted to thank you for this recipe. I make it once a week and it brightens up my breakfast so thanks! I top it with almonds but I’m going to try raisins this year too.

Fiona March 17, 2016 at 4:40 am

Hi I’m a very fussy eater I only eat chicken and tuna I won’t touch any other meat or fish, I don’t like mushrooms, olives or cottage cheese so a diet is quite difficult for me as they always contain these ingredients any suggestions thank you

Lynn May 13, 2016 at 4:16 pm

This recipe was my first attempt using chia seeds. The only modification was using coconut milk instead of almond milk. After 8 hours in the refrigerator there was still a crunch to the seeds, rather than the tapioca consistency I was expecting. Is this normal or should they become completely gel-like? If they stay somewhat crunchy, I’m not a fan of the texture. Could I grind them first to avoid this issue? Please offer suggestions, since I bought 2 lbs. and would like to enjoy them while getting the health benefits. Thanks.

Angela Liddon September 16, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hey Lynn, I’m so sorry for the delay on getting back to you on this! I just saw your comment today. I personally haven’t ever noticed a crunchy texture after soaking my chia seeds, so I’m not really sure what the cause might have been. But, if you find yourself not enjoying their texture, you could try blending them up as in this recipe from Oh My Veggies. I hope this helps if you decide to try chia seeds again in the future!

Amy May 31, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Hello, I was wondering if someone could please help. I made this for the first time a few weeks ago and it was delicious, I then started adding Maca into it and switched my almond milk a couple of times. The texture started looking a bit like gelatin after my first attempt, I thought it was the Maca but I stopped adding Maca and it is still looks ad has the texture of gelatin. Does anyone have any suggestions about why this is happening? Thanks!

Octobre September 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm

this looks delicious. I was just wondering how strongly Is the banana flavour? I’m not a huge fan of bananas but this looks like the perfect dish for me. Thank you so much :)

Angela Liddon September 16, 2016 at 5:46 am

Hi there! The strength of the banana taste may depend a bit on the ripeness of your bananas, and your sensitivity to it. I really like adding mashed banana because it thickens the mixture, making it super creamy while adding a lot of volume. But if you aren’t a banana fan, feel free to simply omit it! You might find you need to reduce the milk a bit, and I’d suggest adding in your own sweetener and/or other fruit in its place. A lot of readers have used applesauce in the place the of the banana; I’d recommend checking out some of the other comments for other great ideas! :) Hope this helps!!

Ellie July 8, 2017 at 12:25 am

Delicious! Used 1 cup to 4 tbsp chia seed and 1 large banana and it was perfect consistency. Let it sit overnight for 12 hours before eating.

Didn’t use any vanilla essence; didn’t miss it at all. Thanks for the recipe!