Edamame Hummus

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 12, 2012

edamame hummus -8538

I don’t say this often, but I occasionally reach my tolerable upper limit for sweets. After working on the dessert chapter for my book while simultaneously creating holiday cookie recipes for the blog, these words have come out of my mouth more than a few times lately.

You know what I can’t eat too much of? Hummus, that’s what. I don’t think I’ve ever said to myself, “gee, I think I overdid it with the hummus”. It’s just not possible (or maybe I’m not eating enough hummus. Hmmm).

Humour me for a moment while I tell you what drives me absolutely insane. The other week, I’m standing in the checkout line skimming a women’s magazine and the writer advises us dear hummus lovers to stick to a 2 tablespoon serving of hummus at holiday parties because “those healthy calories can really add up”. What the hell. I’m pretty sure I can squeeze more than 2 tablespoons onto one lonely toasted pita wedge. It was a miracle my annoyance didn’t burst that magazine into flames right then and there. The nerve.

[I clearly have some unresolved issues from reading too many teen magazines as a gullible teenager. Breathe.]

In honour of taking a short break from the holiday cookie madness, I’d like to show you this feel-good green appetizer that I made for a recent Christmas party. Based off my favourite food group, hummus (which forms the base of my food pyramid), this edamame spread is a familiar twist on an old classic using traditional hummus ingredients like garlic, lemon, tahini, and olive oil. It’s absolutely fool-proof. Add a pinch of smoked paprika on top and you have a festive red and green holiday appetizer thrown together in minutes flat.

I encourage you to enjoy much more than 2 tablespoons of this healthy green dip! We sure did.

edamame hummus -8541

Edamame Hummus

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 heaping cups

Ingredients:

• 1 (500g) bag frozen organic shelled edamame (equal to 3 cups thawed/drained)
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I used 4T)
  • 1/4 cup tahini (stir well before measuring)
  • 2-4 tbsp water, to thin as needed (I used 3T)
  • 1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste (I used 3/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds, optional
  • 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper, optional
  • To garnish: smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, edamame

1. If starting with thawed edamame, rinse and drain before using. If starting with frozen edamame, simmer in a pot of water until edamame is heated through. Rinse and drain before using. You can also remove the skins of the edamame for a slightly smoother spread, but I didn’t bother. Set aside a handful of edamame beans for garnish just before serving.

2. With motor running on food processor, drop in 2 garlic cloves to mince.

3. Next, add edamame to processor and process until somewhat smooth, stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl as necessary.

4. Add in the lemon juice, tahini, and water and process again until smooth. Don’t be afraid to let the processor run for a few minutes and get it really smooth!

5. Add salt to taste along with optional cayenne pepper and ground coriander. Process again until combined.

6. Scoop into a serving bowl. Garnish with smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, a generous drizzle of olive oil, and reserved edamame. Serve with crostini, toasted pita chips, crudités, and/or crackers.

edamame hummus -8547

If you’d like to check out my other favourite hummus spreads, see these recipes below:

The hummus that changed everything                     Red lentil hummus

IMG_4667_thumb IMG_0744

Cheezy Hummus:

IMG_8924

Happy 12/12/12!

Page 3 of 3«123
Johanna December 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Angela, i just made this recipe and it was amazing! Can´t believe it is so good and so simple! thanks!!!I

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know.

Alister December 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

2 tablespoons ? Never!. That is why hummus is called vegan crack. I am thawing edamame as I write this.

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans December 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

This hummus looks so good!
That magazine article is ridiculous, articles like that make me mad, totally promoting an unhealthy mindset when it comes to food! Plus I’m not sure it’s even possible to limit hummus consumption to 2 tablespoons!

Lil December 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Hi Angela!

I love your blog! I’m a college student and struggling to recover from some disordered eating habits of my own right now, and I just wanted to let you know that on my bad days I find myself coming to your blog for some extra motivation! Your posts always seem to remind me that food should be fun and healthy, and reading your readers’ comments helps to put everything into a positive light. Thanks and I look forward to seeing whats in store for the holidays!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Hey Lil, Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. Goodluck with your own recovery!

Lil December 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Thanks!

Becca December 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Ugh, of all the foods that magazine could “counsel” us on with regards to holiday eating… hummus?! Why oh why must they pick on this healthy food?!

How about suggesting that people limit themselves to only 2 tablespoons of butter on their mashed potatoes …or what about only consuming 2 tablespoons of frosting out of the bowl while making frosting for sugar cookies :P ha ha

Elliana December 17, 2012 at 12:23 am

I can’t agree with you more!!!! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE hummus. I ate an insane amount when I start. I usually just eat hummus straight. It is soooooooooo delicious. I need to stop making or buying them, because I got stuck one time. My stomach was upset. :-(
But still, HUMUSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :-)))))) LOVE YOUR IDEA. :-)))))))

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen December 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

“What the hell. I’m pretty sure I can squeeze more than 2 tablespoons onto one lonely toasted pita wedge. It was a miracle my annoyance didn’t burst that magazine into flames right then and there. The nerve.”

Bwahahahahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa *catches breath* bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! This was hysterical and oh so true! I’ve never understood the whole 2 tbsp per serving thing. I could easily eat an entire bucket in one sitting without feeling bad about it at all. Also, I *love* these pictures! That pink matched with the gorgeous green of the edamame is absolutely superb.

Nathalie December 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This sounds great! Is there a chance this could me made ahead of time, frozen and then thawed on Christmas day for serving before dinner? I have so much cooking to do on Christmas day (many different people & diets to cover).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

Im not sure if hummus can be placed in the freezer and thawed….I would try googling it first! Im sure it would be fine.

Lidi December 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The hummus sounds amazing but the pictures are even better. Just yesterday I was reading your post on how to build a light box. Out of curiosity, did you use the light box for these photos?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m afraid my light box didn’t make the move last spring! We just dont have the space for it in our new place unfortunately. I shoot everything beside my window, all taken with natural light.

Mae December 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I made this for lunch today to have with whole grain crackers. Mine turned out a little bland until I added Tapatio sauce and sprinkled the top with chipotle powder. It was then delicious. Plus, it looked very Christmasy — green and red.

lana357 December 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love your entry! I wholeheartedly agree with you, the only thing that stops me from eating heaping portions of hummus for lunch and dinner is that my stomach can only tolerate so much beans.

I made the edamame hummus last night and brought it to a dinner party – it was a hit! I used about one more Tbsp of lemon juice and added a little olive oil. Nom nom nom.

Heather L December 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yum! Made this to have something healthy for lunch today. Totally yum, and the colour is such a nice springy green…takes me away from the -25C we a having here. :):)

Stacy L. December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I made this recipe for a meeting where most of the people attending think anything veggie is gross and…..everyone LOVED it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Glad to hear that!

Dawn Angel December 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm

First, I’m so excited that someone else has hummus as a food group!
Second, I’m excited to try the edamame hummus.
Also, the photography of your food is gorgeous. It’s made me hungry the last 2 hours I’ve been browsing. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thank you Dawn! Enjoy :)

Dora December 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I wish that you would mention how much you like a strong lemon flavor when you are writing your blogs. For this recipe, I used 2 tbsp just in case, and that was just right. The lemon flavor was a high note, but not overpowering. Having used quite a few of your recipes, I can let you know that I never end up wanting more than half the amount of lemon juice that you use. I remember having a number of ruined recipes before I started halving the LJ as standard practice, so I feel like a friendly reminder to your readers that you enjoy a very strong lemon flavor wouldn’t go amiss. At least they would know to add the LJ tbsp by tbsp until they achieved the flavor strength of their preference.

Maggie January 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm

This is great! I accidentally bought a bag of edamame that was only half of what the recipe calls for. I kept everything else the same and it still tasted great! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen January 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Tahini and I don’t always get along . . . Could I omit or exchange it for something else?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Hmm I’m really not sure! Tahini is a tough one. It would probably be ok without it, but it just wouldnt be as creamy or have that kick to it so you might need to play around with the rest of the ingredients. Also, I would skin the edamame as it will yield a creamier result overall.

Amy January 16, 2013 at 9:09 am

This recipe is great! Just made it for my toddler’s lunch with a variety of veggies and crackers. His container looked like a rainbow…so pretty! Any idea how long this should last in the fridge? Would like to take the rest to playdate this weekend. Thank you for this recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

I think it should last for 5 days or longer?

Geosomin January 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I am absolutely addicted to this. It’s become my go to healthy snack/dip.
Thanks!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 31, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Made an awesome slightly modified version of this today to have with my low carb stuffed grape leaves…omg so good!
I will pretty much be making these every time I make the grape leaves from now on.
Thanks so much for the recipe!:)

Katie February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Made this last night to go with our go-to Asian-inspired Gingered Tofu and Kale. Added half a ripe avocado. Delicious! And made so much! Not very “Asian,” which I guess I shoulda realized, but will definitely be making again. Having for lunch today with baby carrots.

Marianna February 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi Angela,
I love hummus and I really want to try your recipe.
I have a question, can I use fresh edamame instead of frozen? Do I need to boil them beforehand?

Thank you!!!
Ciao, Marianna

Corinne February 22, 2013 at 11:04 am

Edamame hummus sounds great! A new change to the traditional. I’ve never known anyone to stop at 2 tablespoons…

Carmen February 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! I am so inspired by your pictures! I just started a healthy eating blog last year…Thanks for sharing those recipes! I have a beetroot hummus recipe I think you will enjoy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Thank you Carmen! I will check out your blog. :)

Jean March 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I just made this and cannot stay out of it!!! It is absolutely awesome. Thank you!

Marisse July 12, 2013 at 12:42 am

I made this tonight! Haven’t tried it yet but it looked and smelled great :) Altered the recipe a bit by using 2 tbsp of hemp seeds instead of tahini, hopefully it tastes alright!

Nicole August 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

That’s a horrible rule to follow… after your 2 tablespoons, you are clearly still going to be craving more food. At most holiday parties that would mean turning to cheeses and other things not as healthy as hummus. Those magazines are just trying to think of new things to say that haven’t been said yet, most of it is ridiculous.

I love the idea of this hummus by the way! I agree, my tummy can never get enough hummus. However, sometimes after finishing off half a container my mind tells me its time to put it away. Especially knowing the price of the containers! …50 cent hummus time :)

susanj September 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Holy moly this was GREAT! I just made a half batch today and I almost ate it all!. I am making this again next weekend to bring to a party for the 1st New Orleans Saints football game of the 2013 season. Cant wait for everyone to try it.

Amelia September 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

Very beautiful photos. Will try your recipes ! Which food processor would you recommend for making hummus as smooth as yours (& even for raw veg juice pulp drink) ? Thanks !

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2013 at 10:44 am

I use a 14-cup Cuisinart processor – love it, however you don’t need one that large (they come in small sizes too) goodluck!

Melanie October 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm

We also don’t limit hummus intake at my house. My kids have been known to eat it with a spoon :) I made this version today and it’s delicious. I added Herbamere and about a quarter cup of nutritional yeast. Yum!

Sherri March 7, 2014 at 4:50 pm

This recipe was a hit! I am hardcore omnivore (I don’t think I can ever give up meat)- so even looking up a vegan recipe is very foreign to me. I had a dinner party a few weeks back and one the guest was vegan and a celiac and she not only was able to eat it, but enjoyed it. Also my 2 year old LOVES this dip with crackers and veggies!!!

Robin August 14, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Angela
I absolutely love your recipes and cookbook! I am getting ready for my first grill out in my new house and was looking for appetizer recipes. I know I saw a 7 layer dip that looked amazing but I cannot find it now. I wrote down that it was on your website. Can you point me in the right direction or is that not one of your recipes? Thanks so much for your help! And let me know if you have any other recommendations for grill out recipes! :)
Robin

Kristen September 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm

A bit late but Google ohsheglows 7 layer dip and you’ll find what you’re looking for. And it does look yummy

Kristen September 10, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I didn’t have any coriander seed and therefore left that out but this is actually the second time I’ve made this recipe. We are big fans of it. I added roasted garlic to it. Delish!! Thanks for posting yummy recipes!

Kenbul October 3, 2014 at 1:37 am

can i substitute hummus for my carbohydrate? pleas reply it asap..
thank youu..

Olivia February 13, 2015 at 1:13 am

I live in an area where it is quite difficult to find chickpeas, but so easy to buy packets of edamame. I am so glad I tried this because it is the yummiest dip I’ve ever tasted! Thank you so much!!

Cynthia April 14, 2015 at 5:54 pm

I just made this delicious looking hummus and it turned out rather dry. Is there a reason you do not add any oil? In regular hummus there is usually some oil added to make it creamier. Although my is smooth, it’s a bit dry even though I added 5 TBl spoons of lemon juice and 5 TBL spoons of water. Please advise! Thank you!

Pia June 21, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hi. Can I make this without the garlic? Will it alter the taste as much? Looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks

Sarah April 20, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I’ve made this four times since discovering the recipe two weeks ago. Slightly altered to suit my crazy IBS stomach, but I love it so much — thanks!

Angela Liddon April 21, 2016 at 11:36 am

I’m glad to hear the recipe’s become such a fav, Sarah!