Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 25, 2012

twix recipe vegan-7480

muhahauha

I don’t know why, but that just felt appropriate to open with being 6 days from Halloween and all.

Evil cackles are the perfect compliment to many situations, don’t you think?

Such as:

– When you’re bored at work and want to make coworkers think you’re up to something (aren’t you always??) See Dwight Kurt Schrute III.

– Ditto above, but for your significant other/family members.

– Obviously, evil scheming is one of them, which I did lots of as a teenager with my sister Kristi and girlfriends. (Don’t worry sis, your secrets are safe with me…..unless I ever write a novel. mhauhauha!)

– When you hide behind a wall and then jump out to scare your pet or husband (not that I do this or anything…)

– When you send your spouse to work with salty cookies…on April Fools Day

– When kids ring your doorbell on Halloween

– When you make a killer dessert recipe

When to avoid witch cackles: going through airport security or customs, when the officiate asks if anyone objects to the marriage, in church, after serving food to your guests at a dinner party (Halloween excepted), near any newborn, during a GRE, at a job interview.

Use at your own risk.

Last week, a couple of you asked me if I could revamp my Vegan Twix bar recipe. I like the way you think because I was already planning on doing so! The original recipe was very tasty and decadent, but the shortbread crust was fairly crumbly and contained a ton of vegan butter. It also required baking the crust and making caramel from scratch.

For this version, I made the recipe lower in fat, gluten-free, faster, and improved the crust. After the Homemade Rolos were such a hit with many of you, I knew I wanted to use date caramel again. The crust ended up driving me a bit crazy though. I used oat flour, agave, and just a touch of coconut oil. While it held together perfectly it was way too dense and the flavour was too earthy for a Twix recipe.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7452

I also knew I didn’t want to make a soft, fluffy crust. To me, a Twix bar has to have a crisp crust! Then Eric suggested I use rice crispies for the crust. Genius. It’s easy, fast, and just a few ingredients. Most of all, you don’t bake the crust which saves a lot of time. The crispy texture turned out to be the perfect compliment to the gooey date caramel and hardened chocolate coating. I don’t think I need to explain any further…

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7436 vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7441 vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7447vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7445

You can thank Eric for this one. (He says he will accept boxes of Homemade Twix bars.) ;)

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7470

Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Email, print, or text this recipe

Yield: ~16-18 bars

for the crust:

• 1 & 1/4 cup GF crispy rice cereal (I use Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup*
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the date caramel: (adapted from Homemade Rolos)

• 200-210 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 1 & 1/4 cup pitted dates)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tbsp almond milk, or more if needed
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the chocolate coating:

• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)

1. Line an 8-inch pan with two pieces of parchment paper. In a small pot, add the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until combined. Add pinch of salt. Pour into a large bowl with rice crisp and stir well.

2. Scoop the rice crisp mixture into pan. Wet hands slightly and then spread the mixture evenly and press down firmly until smooth. Place in freezer while you make the date caramel.

3. Soak dates in water until soft (only if necessary) and drain. Place pitted dates, peanut butter, milk, and salt in the food processor and process until almost smooth and a big ball forms.

4. Spread caramel layer over top of the crust until it’s as smooth and even as you can get it. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.

5. Melt the chocolate and optional coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Spread chocolate on top of the caramel and place in the freezer for about 3 minutes only.

6. Remove from freezer (chocolate should be slightly firm, but not completely set) and slice into rows and then in half. Freeze again until set for about 10 minutes. Store in fridge or freezer.

Substitution Notes: 1) The brown rice syrup can probably be subbed for honey (if you include honey in your diet). Agave won’t hold together as well since it’s not as “tacky”, but it will hold together when kept in the freezer. It will fall apart at room temperature though. 2) You can sub peanut butter for sunflower seed butter as a nut-free option.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7464

I wrapped up two at a time in orange candy wrappers (from Bulk Barn) and secured them with kitchen twine. Not spooky, but so darn cute and festive.

Page 4 of 4«1234
seo December 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site,
as i want enjoyment, since this this website conations actually nice funny information
too.

ben January 10, 2014 at 10:19 am

dates are not vegan. google it.

Jen @Virtually Vegan Mama January 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Made these today and they are great..Twix are my ultimate favorite…thanks for this!!!

Jen

Caroline February 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

These are absolutely fantastic!They are yummy!I can’t wait to make them again.x

Adriana Smith March 28, 2014 at 3:37 am

These are delish!!
Absolutely love ’em!!
I used 1 cup puffed quinoa and 1/2c chopped peanuts in place of the puffed rice cereal-yummy! Close to a snickers…
Mahalo Angela

Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I made these for a friend as a thank you for dog sitting for us. It’s always a bit scary trying out a new recipe on someone else, but she kindly shared some with my husband and I and they turned out great! I used honey instead of brown rice syrup, and I think next time I’ll soak the dates longer to make them easier to blend. (How long would you recommend? Your recipe didn’t say…) Other than that turned out great! I’m amazed and impressed with people who can take something unhealthy they used to love and say, “I could make something like that!” Caramel out of dates?! Who would’ve thought?? Kudos!

Steph April 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Made these last night and they are awesome! I don’t mean to split hairs here, but I think witht the peanut butter, they are much more like Whatchamacallits than Twix. Also, I had some trouble with paper sticking to the bottom layer…Any advice there? But still, overall, A+.

Deborah April 18, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Just finished these. I have so far just tasted individual layers, but love the date caramel! Bottom layer is satisfying and nice and crunchy. I just received your book and am taking Empowered Noodle Bowl to Easter Brunch.

Lenka April 20, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I made them this morning and brought them to a picnic with some friends, they were a huge success!!! There were a lot of ohh and ahh sounds, and some of the descriptives I heard were divine, orgasmic, a religious experienced, incredible…. Thanks for this recipe!! …and so many others…

Gwen July 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Oh my gosh these are amazing – my very picky 8 year old loves them!!!! I made them with almond butter because he doesn’t like peanut and they are sooooooo crazy good. Thank you!!!!

Kaley Morris December 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Holy crap, these are good!
I just made them for my girls xmas party. Allergies: dairy, gluten, peanuts, mangos. None of the girls thought that a dessert could be made that all could enjoy.
I used WOW soy butter and honey.
They taste magical.
Thanks!
P.S. Salt and vinegar chickpeas are in the oven and I made the pb cookie balls the other night… all amazing!
YOU RULE!

Lieke December 19, 2014 at 4:11 am

Again, another amazing dessert recipe! This is so much fun to make and I love the idea of a healthier and even tastier Twix bar! I just chocolate rice crisps for the bottom and extra dark (80% cacao) chocolate for the top layer. I also put a little more melted chocolate on the top than the recipe calls for, because I’m a chocolate fanatic. Will definitely be making these again! These were also an absolute hit with my friends.

Autumn April 7, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Another amazing recipe. The date caramel is a keeper. Loved it!

Alexandra May 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

I have made these twice now and they are so crazy good! I made them with wholegrain rice crispies and a mixed nutbutter, which worked really well. The first time I added coconutoil to the chocolate, but found it to coconutty for my taste, so the second time I simply omitted it and it worked just as well. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe, I am such a fan, everything I have tried works out so well: I had a bookpresentation and ordered two beautiful vegan cakes, but to cut back on the costs I also made your carrotloaf with sweetened vegan creamcheese on top and everone simply devoured it, liking it better than the professionally made cakes!

malherbe October 18, 2015 at 11:38 am

hi,
can’t have brown rice syrup, would maple syrup work? Would love to make these, they look awesome!

Beth November 12, 2015 at 12:54 am

These taste absolutely amazing!! Can barely tell they are vegan would definitely reccomend making these!

Tanya Kern January 31, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Hi Ang,
Would it work if I substituted maple syrup for the brown rice syrup? I’m making the crispy twix bars
Thanks , Tanya :)

Momma Mesa April 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I just tripled this recipe to share with friends at church. They turned out…AWESOME! I used almond butter instead of peanut butter. I was concerned that the brown rice syrup wasn’t sticky enough to hold the cereal together, but it did! They cut beautifully. Thanks for the recipe!