60 Second Homemade Berry Sorbet & Progress Pictures

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 21, 2012

Did you guys catch this comment from Danielle yesterday?

“In our last apartment our sneaky cat opened the bathroom cupboards under the sink, finding a small hole that led from our apartment to the neighbors. Imagine our neighbors surprise when he got out of the shower that morning only to find a strange cat on his counter! Long story short, he ended up setting our cat free outside but we tracked him down eventually thank goodness!”

I just love that story. Cats are crazy!!

IMG_8302

Today, I have more progress pictures for you and a delicious 60-second recipe to finish it off! I’m getting creative this week with quick and easy recipes since I’m not in the kitchen much.

Here are more “progress” pictures (and I use that term loosely) of the living/dining room:

IMG_8259

I think the saying, it has to get worse before it gets better, applies here.

IMG_8258

Can you handle that progress?

IMG_8283

Our living/dining area is on pause right now as we wait for furniture to arrive. Friday can’t come soon enough, I tell ya! We ordered a small dining table & chairs, a TV cabinet, a side table, and a wine cabinet from our favourite furniture place in Burlington. I can’t wait to get it all set up so I can unpack the boxes and we can put up the art work & décor. We’re going to see some major progress this weekend, mark my words!

I spent all day yesterday at the old house. One thing I’ve learned from this move is to never underestimate how long it takes to remove every single item from a house. I cleaned out every single drawer, cupboard, nook, and cranny and I still have to wash the floors and vacuum tonight. It’s hard to unpack in a new place when you’re still taking care of the old one.

Here’s one pile of the Goodwill donation:

20120320_102110

Eric and I also worked on wood boards that we’re antiquing for my food photography.

20120320_114053

I hope to do a how-to post on it at some point…it’s a really easy DIY project! So far, we’ve made three different boards. The first one was a huge fail until we figured out the proper technique to use. Once we figured it out, it’s simple to do.

20120320_114035

Once we were back in the new place, I got to work yet again. I think skipping my workouts this past week has given me more energy for moving tasks…I was on fire yesterday and worked straight until 10pm.

One thing I love about this new place is that it has central vac. I’m finding it so handy. We had a central vac in the old house, but I found that I never used it because it was stored in the basement.

IMG_8295

I pulled out the fridge and stove and vacuumed/cleaned behind them…it wasn’t pretty!

IMG_8285

As you may have noticed, the kitchen has a mirror backsplash. I can see how this will be a challenge to keep clean once I’m making recipes again! I tend to splish and splash everywhere…

IMG_8290

I also washed the kitchen floor with my homemade water & vinegar mix. The other floors will have to wait until the furniture is set up.

IMG_8294

I put up a towel hanger on the back of the bathroom door that I picked up from Canadian Tire:

IMG_8265

I also put up a hook on the inside cabinet for my oven mitts:

IMG_8270

I added a utensil holder (to save drawer space) and kettle on the countertop:

IMG_8281

As for the kitchen storage, it’s an absolute wreck right now. I’ve taken a bunch of pictures and hope to get your input at some point. I really don’t know how to maximize the space! There are a few super deep cupboards that make it hard to reach things stored in the back.

Here’s a teaser pic:

IMG_8274

I ended the day with another homemade sorbet creation. This one was super thick and had a consistency of sorbet. Hit. the. spot.

IMG_8254

60 Second Homemade Berry Sorbet

By

Thick, delicious, and healthy homemade sorbet in just 1 minute flat

Yield
1/2 to 3/4 cup
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (I used dark sweet cherries, blackberries, and blueberries)
  • Just enough almond milk to make it come together (I used 6 tbsp)
  • 1/2 scoop Vega chocolate performance protein powder (optional)
  • a few frozen banana chunks, for sweetness

Directions:

1. In a blender (or a food processor may work too), process all ingredients until thick and creamy. Add the almond milk a little bit at a time, as needed. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information

Calories 130 calories | Total Fat 1 grams
Fiber 5 grams | Protein 14 grams
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Nutritional info:

(entire serving, with protein powder): 130 kcals, 1 gram fat, 13 grams carbs, 5 grams fibre, 8 grams sugar, 14 grams protein.

(entire serving, without protein powder): 70 kcals, 1 gram fat, 9 grams carbs, 8 grams sugar, 1 gram protein.

IMG_8255

Now that’s a great way to end a day!

Page 2 of 2«12
Caroline March 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Just did the sorbet (without vega) after my 40km bike ride. Mmmmmm!

Angela March 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Glad you enjoyed it & way to go on that bike ride!!

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan March 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It looks like your house is coming along! I love the sorbet recipe — so perfect for warmer temperatures– plus its easy to make!

Moni Meals March 21, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Such Progress already! you are making me look really bad. hehe. I am a slow mover for the most part, it is so stressful too. How are you holding up? from what I can see…perfectly!

Now that is how you make a smoothie…done and done!

Angela March 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Pretty good, thank you for asking! I’ve been a bit sad over leaving the old house, but for the most part, I’m just really excited to live in a new area that is close to so many things. The country was great, but it was a bit isolating for our taste.

Adrienne March 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’ve been so busy the past couple weeks, I totally missed that you were moving! I feel so out of the loop! I must catch up on all my missed reading. :)

Angela March 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I could see how this post would come as a bit of a surprise ;)

Bre March 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Wow, that sorbet looks so yummy! I’ll have to try making that for sure!

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday March 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Your place looks like it is coming along nicely. I’m right up there with the umpteen moves and part of me is kind of liking living vicariously through your photo updates…seeing how everything is finding its place.

The berry sorbet is so easy, I can’t believe I never tried this before…perfect for a warm spring day! And a healthy treat for kids who keep begging for ice cream.

Jamie March 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Haha-that is exactly what I put in my morning smoothie, right down to the vega protein powder! Just with more almond milk. It’s delicious, quick and easy :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Kitties are crazy, but that’s why I love them. :)

I like homemade sorbet, but I never order it out. When I’m out having dessert, it’s gelato or ice cream for me!

Michelle @ Esculent Dreams March 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

my favorite way to make a quick and healthy no-bake dessert! :) good luck with the rest of the move, and btw those boards look awesome!!!

Angela March 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks Michelle, I’m not sure how they will look in a photo, but hopefully decent!

Sarah March 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

That sorbet looks so yummy! I just may have to whip some up for dessert! All of your running posts have inspired me to get back into it, but I wasn’t sure how to fit that in, because most of my exercise has been taking my kids for walks, because I know that they need the exercise too. Well, I have figured out the solution. The last few days, I have put my 6 year old on her bike, and now I have to chase after her! LOL! Great exercise for the whole family!!

Robyn March 21, 2012 at 5:34 pm

okay, you may already know about this place, but before i moved a couple of years ago, i didn’t know it existed. SOLUTIONS (there’s one at dundas & winston churchill) has all kinds of neat little adjustable shelves and rack type things that may work for your kitchen storage.

[email protected] March 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Sorbet looks great! I love central vac in your new place!

Full-Flavored Life March 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yum!! I love dark sweet cherries, this looks so good!

Michelle March 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Angela,

Check out this post from Cupcakes and Cashmere on kitchen organizing. She has some amazing tips! http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/kitchen-confidential/

Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2012 at 6:44 am

thanks!

Urban Wife March 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Ok, so after I saw this post in the morning I decided that tonight after dinner I would indulge with this sorbet. I only had frozen raspberries on hand and some fresh mint but it turned out nicely. The only downside were all the raspberry seeds but it was well worth it even with the added “crunch”. Thanks for the inspiration and best of luck with getting all settled in your new home. :)

[email protected] March 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

You’re place is looking like mine! I’m also moving this week (my boyfriend’s upstairs putting something together right now while I sneak on my computer to browse the internet). The sorbet looks awesome and I need to stock my freezer asap.

Mallory March 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hi. I was wondering what you do about vitamin B-12. I’m a vegetarian and mostly vegan, but for the past couple of months I have been feeling very low energy, dizzy, anxious and just not myself. Because of this, I am thinking about not being vegetarian anymore. What are your thoughts?

[email protected] Ramble March 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I find the best way to keep a backsplashe clean is just with water and paper towel or a microfibre cloth. No streaks!

Lisa March 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Yummy!! I have a cooking challenge for you…. I’ve come across these recipes called “mug cakes” and I’d love to see you create an easy fun dessert like this in a healthy/vegan way! If anyone can do it, you can :)
-http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/11/10/10-tasty-mug-cakes-that-you-can-make-in-just-minutes/

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2012 at 6:43 am

Hey Lisa,

hehe I have tried making them before for the cookbook..nothing really wowed me yet. Im now without a microwave so we’ll have to see if we end up getting one or not.

Kami March 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Hi Angela! One tip I found from America’s Test Kitchen recently was to store other pans/things on a baking sheet in the cupboard, and that allows you to slide out the baking sheet to reach the stuff! I will definitely be in a similar situation soon when I move into a studion apartment from a 2bedroom apartment. Hello teeny kitchen!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 22, 2012 at 6:34 am

I have to laugh, we posted a very similar recipe today, I guess great minds think alike. It looks like your unpacking is coming together nicely. Have a great day!!

Amanda March 22, 2012 at 7:34 am

When we lived in California we had a cat that would climb through cracked windows of neighbors cars and sleep. One of them drove to work before noticing! Luckily he was nice enough to drive her back and drop her off!
The sorbet looks great!

LizAshlee March 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

It’s coming along! It looks like a beautiful space!!

Emily (Edible Psychology) March 22, 2012 at 8:09 am

My goodness, Angela! I am just catching up on reading. Congratulations on your new home – I am guessing you have some mixed feelings, but it sounds like the right thing. Best wishes with the rest of your unpacking, and I am looking forward to trying your sorbet recipe!

~Emily~

Ashley March 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’m trying to figure out what you were watching on the tele. Humm…
Might bump into you at Organic Garage and Whole Foods…. =) Happy moving in!

Julia Jones March 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

I was just about to put up a similar soft-serve that I made for dessert the other day. Trying to move all of us (including twin 5 year olds) off of dairy and while Mom and Dad don’t find it hard, the kids would like some cheese and ice cream. This worked well to scratch that ice cream itch and I felt so good about serving it to them. Delicious for all of us! I used more banana, less almond milk and a rice based protein powder, but it was essentially the same deal. Happy fruit dream!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) March 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yum! I made a smoothie just like that the other day and it was DELICIOUS!

Kathy March 22, 2012 at 11:37 am

Did you say you guys bought this new house, or you are going to rent until you find a place you want? I can’t imagine having to move again. My house is filled and it would take me months to pack stuff up. Might be fun to start over, but the packing would not be.
Love the kitty picture. Cats can manage to get in quite the predicaments. The berry smoothie sounds yummy. Was wanting to buy the vega mixes, but they are quire expensive. Is there a substitute you can use that has protein?

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love fruit sorbets (even more than ice cream sometimes!). It’s like a smoothie in disguise ;)

Bri Carpenter March 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

We have two deep corner cupboards in our kitchen that look similar to yours. I barely use them because it is so annoying trying to get things out from the back! Its such a waste of space sometimes but is good for storing big items like a crock pot that you only use half the year.
Good luck with the rest of your move, I love the big floor to ceiling doors/windows in the living room and the openness of the main floor!

oceanside orthodontist March 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Berries and sorbets, a heavenly combination! The instructions are easy enough to follow and there’s only quite a few ingredients, I’m definitely going to try this one soon. Good luck, hopefully you’ll be sorted out with your new house very soon ;)

Janae Wise March 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Angela, I’m really jealous of the in-the-wall vacuum cleaner. Someday…

Don’t you love berry smoothies? I think the banana really makes it even more delish. Adds a creaminess. And I’m pretty sure you’re getting plenty of exercise with all that moving 8)

Kait March 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ok…what the heck is central vac???????? I don’t get it!

Shira March 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wonderful looking sorbet! And even funnier cat musings :)
We’ve got our fair share of ridiculous cat stories up our sleeves too – (and we don’t even have one!) – turns out cats are funny and are somehow even funnier when they don’t belong to you (but like to act as if they do!) Lots of personality that’s for sure!

Sherry Markin March 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

I love your cat… I too have two Bengels…they are so particular about their change of space being disrupted, your house is beautiful and great decorating!! Looks like Sketchy will fit in nicely!! love this website and recipes.
S.

Laura Peill March 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Oh man . . . just made a strawberry version of this with vanilla protein powder. Definitely a keeper recipe and one I foresee making often as the weather warms up! Thanks for sharing this!