New York: Part 1

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 28, 2011

If you guessed we’re in the Big Apple, you’d be right!

IMG_0266

We lucked out with the weather this weekend; it’s been warm and sunny with highs reaching 15-17C!! Who knew? Today is supposed to reach 20C! Peeling off layers is always a nice surprise.

IMG_0264

IMG_0143

We’ve been getting quite the workout too. No need for the hotel exercise room while staying in NYC. Walking and the subway have been our sources of transportation with the occasional cab when it’s midnight and our legs feel like bricks. I absolutely love to walk, so it’s been a nice break from regular workouts.

IMG_0122

When we arrived on Saturday morning, we had a bit of a rocky start to our trip. We flew in on a prop plane on Continental Airlines and when we were boarding the plane they made everyone check “carry-on” suitcases under the plane. We weren’t thinking about our valuables in the carry-on because it caught us off guard, but once on the plane we immediately had a bad feeling about it. When we got to the hotel we discovered that our laptop (which was in Eric’s carry-on) was damaged badly. So now, I’m blogging on half a screen and the rest of the screen is super fuzzy. Doh! Hopefully we can get some sort of compensation from the airline, but I doubt it. So if you see a bunch of weird characters or typos, don’t blame me. ;)

Anyways, we’re staying at The Warwick Hotel. It’s an older hotel, but we got a great deal on it through Hotwire and saved a lot of money.

IMG_0026 IMG_0024 IMG_0025

Then we were off on foot to explore! Eric’s work droid has come in very handy for Google Maps. ;)

IMG_0009 IMG_0006

Isn’t technology great? He was able to plan all our destinations on a map.

…such as Central Park:

IMG_0078

We’ve been enjoying the photography on this trip as usual. :)

By the way, someone asked me where my boots are from. I recently picked them up at PAYLESS SHOES….I don’t usually have good finds there, but this season I did. The boots are made for walking….literally!  My brown jacket is from Le Chateau. Both HQ pleather. ;)

IMG_4826

IMG_0082

IMG_0083

Then we explored

IMG_0088

IMG_0090

IMG_0092

Much more happened on Saturday, so a Part II will be coming up.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have vegan doughnuts to eat!

IMG_0336

Page 3 of 3«123
Melissa November 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I also had some luck at Payless this fall~ black wedge “shootie” and knee high black suede wedge boot!!! I may have to go back for the brown boots!!! I love your haircut~ so glad you decided to go for it!!!!

Melissa Darr November 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Bummer about the laptop! Look forward to see more of your yummy recipes when you get back! :-)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I’m so glad you’re having fun. Come to LA next time, okay? ;)

Samantha November 29, 2011 at 12:20 am

I have those exact boots and I LOVE them! I never have good luck either! They were having a BOGO sale too and I couldn’t find another pair so I walked out with boots and half priced socks haha :)
Is that a Babycakes NYC cupcake in the last picture?! I feel like that frosting is totally theirs! Not that I follow their frosting swirls…Because that wouldn’t be normal…

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 29, 2011 at 1:21 am

Gorgeous!!! You totally lucked out with the weather!! Don’t they get snow now?! WTF???

I think I’ve gotten 1 pair of good shoes from Payless all the times I’ve been in there! Good Job!

Have a blast dollface!!
xxoo

Kathy November 29, 2011 at 2:17 am

That sucks, having Eric’s laptop broken. Hope the airline does something about it; it was on their plane that created the damage!

esmemerrie November 29, 2011 at 3:08 am

Fun! I was in New York but never made it to Central Park! Looks like I have a reason to return! And I can’t believe that boots from Payless are comfortable to walk in! Good to know :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 29, 2011 at 3:46 am

I hope you have a great trip – looks fantastic so far!

Katrina November 29, 2011 at 6:43 am

This sounds so fun!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 29, 2011 at 7:33 am

So jealous! I want to go to NY! Be safe, take picures of Macy’s!!

Kerri Conger November 29, 2011 at 8:03 am

I have rarely shopped at Payless but saw a pair of grey “suede” boots on their commercial that i had to have. I went in the store and walked out with the ones i went in there for AS WELL as the exact same boots you have on for just $50 (BOGO + a coupon i found online)! I wear the boots like yours almost all the time and love love love them so now i am a payless convert. They also have large calf sizes on most of their boots online and you can ship to store from their website for free! You have gotta act fast, these brown boots were a fast sale item for Payless (the lady there told me that they cannot keep them in store) and they were all out online last month.

Great post & pics, love that you are repping these boots… Now im off to find that jacket, what a great match!

Nicki November 29, 2011 at 8:04 am

These. pictures. are. gorgeous!!! Can you tell me where you got those jeans? I’m looking for a good fit for boots that are comfortable…those look great on you!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 29, 2011 at 8:10 am

I can’t wait to read more! Awesome boots! *boot envy*

(I accidentally typed booty envy! HA!)

Danielle November 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’m so in love with the boots! I’ll have to start looking there again, I never found good stuff there in the past. Have fun in NYC! This time of the year is amazing there.

[email protected] November 29, 2011 at 9:23 am

I am devoted to Payless…only because they have my size (11). I am envious of your trip. I haven’t been to New York for 10 years. Can’t wait to try all the vegetarian restaurants! Enjoy!

Lia November 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

I hope you enjoyed the city while you were there, and I certainly hope you enjoyed the vegan dining! Don’t mind the elbows in your sides and the glares. They’re just newyorkers ;P

Hayley @ Oat Couture November 29, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh thats crappy! They should definitely compensate you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed, what a pain though! At least you are in one of the most amazing places ever!! I am ridiculously jealous! ;) Hope you two have a great time!! :)

eileen November 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm

We were just in NYC too!!! Next time you go, stop to see New York Dosas …a vegan food cart located at Washington Square Park….a warm and friendly, hard working Dosa guy that serves up the greatest lunch in New York.

Maria November 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Where’d you get the donuts? Did you go to Babycakes NYC?! If so please share details! Its on my places to visit next time I’m in NYC.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

yes I did :) I will blog about it soon!

Jolene (Homespun Heritage) November 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm

NYC is so much fun! Seriously, one the of the best places on earth to explore!

Maddy November 30, 2011 at 1:25 am

I can already tell those are babycakes donuts :) MY FAVORITE! Just nibbling on a cinnamon sugar one as I type :)

Britt Beck December 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm

My absolute favorite vegan snack is hummus… Sooo many different flavours, and so many different things you can dip in it! The thought of it makes my mouth water! Have fun in NYC!