No-Bake Vegan Halloween Recipes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 26, 2011

IMG_3899-2

Every Halloween I have grand plans to make “scary” Halloween food.

This year, I have my eye on:

mka101544_fal05_brain_cup_xl2034_recipe_02_xl

I’m all over the scary food right now.

[P.S. – Kitty litter cake? Really? I might barf. times ten.]

Anyway, I dream about all the scary food I’ll make and then it occurs to me that I really just want chocolate in mass quantities.

I don’t care if it scares me, in fact, I doubt chocolate could. Well, unless it’s shaped like poo or even worse, in a litter box. That’s pretty scary. The same goes for Eric playing Christmas music a week before Halloween.

Sigh.

IMG_3940 IMG_3968

Give me luxurious chocolate, Green Monster shots, “scary” Dollarstore decorations,  and a couple easy, no-bake recipes?

IMG_3850

I can do that.

IMG_3926

[print_this]

Vegan Double Chocolate Pudding Cups

• 1 batch of my favourite vegan pudding (or double it if you need more)
  • Shot glasses or parfait glasses
  • Natural cane sugar
  • Food coloring (the Wilton ones I have are vegan)
  • Coconut/chia seeds, to garnish (optional)

1. With a food processor, make the vegan pudding.

2. To make coloured sugar, add about 1/4 cup of sugar into a bowl. Now add about 5-6 drops of your desired colour. Mix well with a spoon or hands until combined (I put gloves on to avoid staining).

3. To rim glass, dip end into water and then dip into the coloured sugar mixture. Twist glass until coated evenly.

4. Add pudding and top with coconut and coloured sugar.

[/print_this]

IMG_3863

Man, I love this pudding. This is an example of avocado in a dessert that works!

See, scary?

IMG_3936

Oh my what nice eyes you have…

And because I’m all about balance, something GREEN!

A Green Monster on Halloween, how appropriate.

IMG_3956

[Please avoid the glaring obvious that these look like Christmas shots instead of Halloween. I blame Eric playing Christmas music.]

Mini Green Monster Shots

Made extra sweet for Halloween!

Yield: ~2.5 cups

Ingredients:

• 3 frozen bananas (peel before freezing)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1-2 cups spinach
  • chia seeds, if desired
  • ice, if desired

1. Chill shot glasses in freezer. Throw ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Rim with sugar (as explained above) and fill with green monster smoothie.

IMG_3952

Get this. I chilled the shot glasses in the freezer beforehand. DO IT!

IMG_3968

Get what else. I discovered I could make my own coloured sugar.

IMG_3977

All you do is add food colouring drops to the sugar and mix well until combined. Instant coloured sugar! How did I not know this?

This is supposed to be orange, but clearly the colour wheel is not my forte.

IMG_3979

Dip the glass in water and twist around the sugar mixture until evenly coated. Or something.

This would be fun for kids!

IMG_3980

You know what kids would love even more?

Drinking something called a Green Monster, made extra sweet just for Halloween.

IMG_3963

Yup, I totally slammed 5 shots in a row after this photoshoot. Hard core, I know.

So there you have it, two no-bake vegan Halloween recipes that won’t take up too much of your time.

Now you can plan that costume you’ve put off all week, or maybe that’s just me.

Help?

IMG_3975

Bottoms up!

~~~

winnercookbookSorry for the major delay, but the winner of the cookbook giveaway is #642- Katie L. Congrats! Katie wrote, “Hey Angela!! I love your recipes, I make them on a weekly basis (this week I made pumpkin pie brownies and pumpkin gingerbread)! This book looks great! Thanks for showing me how to make great vegan food!”

Thanks for participating!

Page 2 of 2«12
Kinley October 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

Now those are shots that I would consider taking!!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner October 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

oh.my.goodness…. that big bowl of chocolate pudding looks divine!!! SO GOOD!!

Cait's Plate October 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

LOVED this post! You just got me SO excited for Halloween!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 27, 2011 at 9:13 am

I looove these ideas! I might be going to a finger food potluck Halloween party on Friday and I wanted to bring something vegan! Keep these recipes coming! The brain cupcakes are absolutely adorable.

Beth October 27, 2011 at 9:32 am

Your pudding & decorated shot glasses are inspiring me to whip something up. The Kitty Litter Cake on the other hand had me turning away and thinking “ewwwww”.
Pumpkin Poop (http://kitchenfrau.blogspot.com/2011/10/healthy-fudge-with-wicked-alias.html) on the other hand doesn’t seem so bad – probably because I know that pumpkins don’t really poop.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

haha pumpkin poop!

Beks October 27, 2011 at 9:38 am

WHY did I go to the link for the kitty litter cake? Ugh! Better question: WHY would ANYONE MAKE such a thing?!

Your monster shots are awesome, though. I love green monsters. need to get stuff to make more. It’s amazing how low I feel when I’m not drinking them regularly. I guess they’re just awesome that way. :-)

Alix October 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

Yum, really cute ideas! I love spinach smoothies–they’re really good with coconut water instead of milk, too. Also I’m glad to hear that someone else is getting excited about Christmas music…

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life October 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

oh my goodness, i could never eat the cockroaches or kitty litter cake! ew!!

Erica @ Cupcakes and Coffee Breaks October 27, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love those brain cupcakes, so cute! I decided to make the easiest halloween treats ever this week and just add mint extract and green colouring to a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe… green cookies, yum!
I also have to agree that the kitty little cake is just too much for me…

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

That pudding looks AMAZING. I am super jealous. I’ll have to make some myself.

maggie October 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

Made your pumpkin pie pudding…just had to share it with you!!! Thanks for the recipe again :)

Maggie
www.mybreakfastblog.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Beautiful pictures too :)

ellen October 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

what a fun post!

Moni'sMeals October 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

You are seriously AMAZING. This is so creative and fun. it is spoooootacular! (sorry Cheesy me I know!)

Now can I have the BOWL of pudding please??

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 27, 2011 at 11:02 am

As a cat owner, kitty litter cake is SCARY!! :-D

Regarding making the green smoothie shots into a cocktail…I would think vodka would be the least overpowering, flavor wise. Alternatively – and would definitely need some experimentation to flush out – but I think a spiced rum or an expensive gin could work too. Just don’t get cheap gin…it’s like drinking a Christmas tree!

Now that pudding…you could crumble a cookie on top of it to make it look like dirt! I can see it now: serving your guests dirt and ground up shrubbery (green smoothie)! Sounds like a good time! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I love your creativity!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

Too cute! Much healthier than jello shots. ;)

[email protected] and spice October 27, 2011 at 11:49 am

Very cute ideas! Those brain cupcakes look so real, haha checking the links out now!

Becky October 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Wow, brilliant! This may be the only day of year (besides maybe St. Patrick’s Day?) that I could trick my friends into willingly drinking Green Monsters! Halloween is quickly becoming the healthiest day of the year…

[email protected] October 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm

woww you’ve really outdone yourself Angela! haha I love those green shots, they’re so cute. And I think that eyeball idea is so funny–I hope you really do make those. :D

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

wow i love all of these!! i clicked on the recipe for stuffed roaches and saw the roach puree recipe -uck!!! even knowing what is in it i could never eat it!! thanks for sharing :)

Antonia October 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Everything looks amazing. Especially the bowl of chocolate pudding. I’m going to try it very soon.

Tatomme @ Fresh Potater October 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm

You read my mind…As I was waiting for your site to load I was thinking “Hmmm, I really hope she has some halloween treat ideas!!!” And then there it was. I can’t wait to experiment with these.

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live October 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Ha! I’ve made a kitty litter cake before! So gross looking, but so much fun. Never knew tootsie rolls could be so gross :)

Ellen Clifford October 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m such a lightweight I can’t do alcoholic shots, but it would be so fun to slam down a shake. Any chance to feel like a badass…:)

Judy October 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Love the green smoothie shooters – great idea for the coloured rims too.

Those apple teeth are pretty disturbing. Have you seen/made the witch finger cookies?? So creepy!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm

So I may have made the mistake of clicking on that link you gave to Kitty Litter Cake…seriously, anyone who actually HAD cats and had to clean the litter tray every day would never think of putting that into edible form. So gross.

Thank goodness your chocolate pudding shots saved me from nausea :). They look delish!

laura October 27, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Mmmm pudding!
I love that Eric is spreading the christmas cheer. Green/red shots could be for christmas too :) ( i know you metioned it) haha.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness October 27, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I wish I could say that Eric is crazy for playing Christmas music so early, but I’m just as guilty…

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Is that bad that I thought it said “Testicle Pot Pie?” Hmm, that would be a weird combo.
Anyway, thanks for all the awesome recipe ideas. I especially like the green monster shots. Good times :)

lou October 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm

can you please check the recipe page for the pudding. it says 1 cup melted. melted what??

RachelSD October 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Yum, your green monster shots look good AND scary! :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I am in LOVE! :D

Rachel October 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

LOVE the mini green monster shots…!

LizAshlee October 28, 2011 at 7:54 am

Freaking adorable!! I love this post!! :)

Lindsey October 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

I had an Einstein moment and I want to share with you!!

I, too, have the GOL Raw protein powder, its the only vegan protein powder that I could stomach the taste, but was still having times when the texture was too chalky for me. The solution: Add one scoop to your delicious Green Monster smoothie with a few mondifications: i doubled the spinach..(but I always do that) and then add 1/2 cup cannellini beans ( I did it in place of the almond butter cause I was out of it). It does help with the chalkiness of the powder. It wont go away completely but it does help. And with the modifications it provides a whopping 35 grams or protein…more if you keep the almond butter…not bad huh?

Hope this works for you

Tracey October 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

Cute ideas! I think I’ll make the pudding this weekend!!

[email protected] October 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for posting the pudding recipe. I have a craving for it with vegan brownies crumbled inside like I used to do with my Snack Pack and Little Debbie Brownies :) Happy Halloween!

char @ char on a mission October 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’m so into scary halloween treats right now too. Like how ugly are these guys, that they’re actually cute: http://www.bhg.com/halloween/recipes/17-frightfully-good-halloween-cupcakes/#page=2

Now I REALLY want to go make halloween cupcakes!!

SueAnn October 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm

The pudding looks wonderful! I will never think of avocados the same again. Thanks for not using tofu, I’m not a tofu kind of girl myself. I took a look at the stuffed cockroaches, and anyone that can bite into one of those is more woman than me.. uggghhh.

Irina October 29, 2011 at 4:27 am

eewwwww the kitty litter tray cake is disgusting!!! Might be the most disgusting food I’ve ever seen.
On a more positive note, the chocolate shots look absolutely delicious. I am a bit weary of trying avocado in puddings, but that just looks so good i have to try it

Heli March 20, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I need serious help here. Can you suggest some natural organic food coloring? I have been trying to find with no success.