5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 28, 2011

This weekend we were packing to go away to our friend’s place and I almost forgot that I promised I’d bring something sweet for our potluck breakfast.

What’s a girl to do when she only has minutes to spare?

And what the heck do I bring for a potluck breakfast that would last for a 3 hour car trip and overnight?

And also please the non-vegan crowd?

Clearly, vegan overnight oats would have worked (for me!) but I’m not so sure everyone else would be down with my craziness. I wanted to avoid that awkward moment of silence as I try to explain to them why I packed a Tupperware full of mushy oats. No one wants an awkward potluck breakfast. Certainly not me.

So I stuck to my plan and I made something sweet that would be the perfect fit for a breakfast…

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Dates Squares!

IMG_3540

In a moment of total clarity, I remembered these Raw Vegan Date Squares that I spotted from Karen. They seemed like the perfect treat that I could whip up in minutes, no oven required.  I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t turn out, but I was soooooo happy with the outcome!

I’m not sure if I will ever go back to ‘normal’ date squares after trying this simple version. I loved them, my friends loved them, and there wasn’t a crumb to be found after breakfast. I’d say they went off pretty well!

IMG_3494

[print_this]

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Adapted from KB Blissologist.

print this recipe!

Crust:

• 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
  • 1.5 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Date filling:

• 25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (~2.5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Line a square pan (I used 8in x 8 in) with two pieces of parchment paper going opposite ways. In a food processor, process the almond, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the dates and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. You can add a tiny bit more oil if the dough is too dry. I didn’t need to though! Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.

2. Grab your pitted and roughly chopped dates and water and process in the food processor until a paste forms. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often. You can add a tiny bit more water if needed, but you want the paste quite thick. Scoop out the date mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.

3. Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside and gently press down with fingers. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.

IMG_3521

I am happy to report that these were enjoyed by all and there were no awkward moments during the potluck. Love that.

IMG_3537

Have a great Monday!

Page 5 of 5«12345
chloe February 27, 2014 at 11:38 pm

OMG I just made these and they are SOO delicious! Thank you for this!!

Tina March 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm

What can I sub for almonds not suppose to eat them or peanuts any other but suggestion ?
What about coconut ?

Tina March 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Think I can use almond flour I bought from store in place grinding my own ?

Mandy May 13, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if using refined coconut oil mattered or does it need to be liquid coconut oil? This is my first time buying and using coconut oil for a recipe so I’m not sure if I bought the right kind..Thanks :)

Marilyn June 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I cannot believe how good are all your recipes! I made those bars today and I made the pumpkin tart that is in your book last week for a birthday lunch and they all came out amazing. I know that every time I try one of your recipes, it’s going to be a success! Thanks for everything you’re doing! :)

sarah June 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm

any known replacement for oats?

Teresa July 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I’ve made these twice already! Super delicious and easy :)
Thanks for the great recipe :)

demi July 8, 2014 at 7:43 am

can I use regular sweet dates as I catn find medjool?thanks

Anne-Marie July 29, 2014 at 9:37 am

Just made these last night. They were awesome!! Even the kids loved them! thanks Angela :)

Kristi August 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

These just might be my favorite recipe from your blog. They are delicious as is, but also very versatile! I have made them 3 different ways, and am sure I will come up with other versions in the future! The first time I made them I followed the recipe, as is, and fell in love. For Easter this past year I decided to mix it up a little and made them following your recipe, but I replaced the water in the filling with fresh squeezed lemon juice mixed with a very small amount of coconut sugar. They were a big hit. Everyone thought they were very refreshing and it was the first plate to be emptied. More recently I tried a chocolate version, combining my love for the date bars and your brownie bite recipe. I followed your date bar recipe adding dark chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to the filling, then after putting everything together I melted dark chocolate chips with coconut oil to drizzle around the top of the bars. This recipe does not last very long in my house. Needless to say I am very grateful to have found this date bar recipe!

Malia November 10, 2014 at 3:41 pm

These are soooo yummy! My kids beg me to make them! The only difference is that I use pecans instead of almonds…super delicious too! Costco has a great price of Medjool Dates and almonds and pecans…I also double the recipe because we are a family of 8! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe that we all adore!

Lizzie November 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Are these sweet? And can you substitute the coconut oil with anything else?

Michelle December 22, 2014 at 8:35 am

Do you think other oils beside doc it could be used?

Emma December 30, 2014 at 7:42 am

OH MY GOODNESS!! Talk about healthy food that tastes so unhealthy! I love these so much. Will definitely add this to my recipe collection.

Michelle March 10, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I love these date squares, they are my go to recipe when I need a dessert!! All of my non-vegan friends think these are the greatest date squares ever too. Can’t wait to make them for my party tomorrow night! :)

Mary Lou March 14, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Hi there , this recipe looks great just wondering if I could use a different nut other than almonds? Cashews , pecans or walnuts? Almonds is the only ingredient I am missing :( I love all of your recipes and I’m assuming this will be a winner as well!

Thanks,
Mary Lou

Sandy April 15, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Hi, was just wondering how many serves this recipe would take.

Sandy April 15, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Sorry just saw 12-16 serves when I went into print recipe. I made this yesterday and not much left. My family of four loves it and so do I. Just found this website and will be trying alot more recipes..Thankyou.

Laura April 19, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Absolutely LOVE these date bars!! I appreciate the simple ingredients and quick prep time. I reviewed the recipe here: sweetgreens-blog.com!

christy May 17, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I just made these today and they turned out well. Thank you for the recipe.

Gemma June 3, 2015 at 11:21 am

What could you use instead of oats if your allergic?

Betsy June 11, 2015 at 12:42 pm

you might could try buckwheat which is a seed that is suitable for people with gluten sensitivities or puffed rice cereal like rice crispies but only lightly crushing the rice cereal or keeping it whole then mixing it in with the nuts dates salt and coconut oil for the crust.
just an idea now I wanna try the rice cereal.

Lynn February 7, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Hi Gemma, Just stumbled across your question. I wasn’t eating oats for awhile and found quinoa flakes. They work like a charm:)

Betsy June 8, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Gosh these are so yummy! When I was making them I had trouble with wanting to eat it all before they were done lol. I added cashews in with the almonds and a little cinnamon too worked well. Dates have quite a bit of sugar but they are really nutritious and if you consume a couple of dates and eat a curry leaf or two with them it can help with anemia.
thanks for this awesome recipe!

Taavi July 2, 2015 at 7:11 pm

OMG! I made these a few days ago and have already devoured them all. They are so addicting! Thank u for sharing this recipe, this is definitely my new favorite on the go snack. I took them hiking & they were perfect for it :)

Anne-Sophie November 9, 2015 at 7:49 am

Wow! I love all your recipes… You’re the reason my mother coocks vegan ;) (cookbook is amasing). I just had a couple of questions: in your recepies that asks for almonds/almond flour, can i sub regular flour or oat flour or from another nut? And you said you are going to do a second cook book… When is it due??

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2015 at 10:47 am

Thanks for your kind words!
Usually almond flour or meal can’t be subbed without completely revamping the recipe. So I can’t say for sure if it would work unless I tested a different combo in a specific recipe. Sorry about that! :)
My next book is due out early fall 2016 :) Thanks for your excitement!

Miriam December 14, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Brother in law cannot have nuts. Any recommendations as a replacement for the almonds in the crust?

Shawn February 5, 2016 at 11:23 am

I had the same question as Miriam. My son is allergic to nuts. What about making these with sunflower and pumpkin seeds? Thoughts anyone?

Cat March 6, 2016 at 2:49 pm

In case anyone’s interested: 2,000 calories in the whole batch. How do I know? Because my husband and I finished these. In one day (in about 12 hours, actually). And I wanted to know how much we’d eaten lol.

Dom April 2, 2016 at 8:46 am

What a fantastic recipe, made it twice already! Looked bake shop worthy :) Love the subtle coconut flavour that comes from the oil, and how great to only have 5 (all natural) ingredients. Ran the whole recipe in my Vitamix and it was easy (though I struggled a bit to get the chopped dates to crumble and blend with the oats and almonds as it made one big clump at the bottom of the Vitamix, but shaking things out a bit with a wooden spoon or running it in two batches fixed the issue). Assembling it was very easy thanks to the clear instructions, and vegans and non-vegan friends alike loved the end result.

jane May 30, 2016 at 2:24 am

HI Angela
I had been looking for ideas for a raw date bar. I made your recipe and absolutely love it. The balance of everything works perfectly and needs no tweaking! I’ll be making it weekly!
Thank you!

Angela Liddon May 30, 2016 at 1:39 pm

So glad this recipe hit the spot, Jane! :)

Aoife June 16, 2016 at 6:31 am

Thank you for these! They have become a staple in my house! Medjool dates aren’t available where I live, so I used dried pitted dates which I soak in hot water for a bit to soften them. I pat the ones for the topping dry with kitchen paper before adding to the processor. I use the water they soak in for the filing. Using dried dates requires more dates – I put about 14-15 in the topping and 30 odd in the filling.

Kate godfrey July 7, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Hi

For coconut oil assume the measurement is once it is melted? probably silly question!

Thanks

Kate

Toni September 12, 2016 at 7:11 am

Just wondering if I could sub almond meal for any of the almonds. I bought a big bag and need to use it. I have made these following your directions, and they were amazing. I couldn’t believe there was no sugar. Thanks

Angela Liddon September 12, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Hi Toni, I can’t see why not! As long as the dough sticks together nicely it should be fine. :)

Heather October 16, 2016 at 3:07 pm

I made these and they were nummy, but I had extra crust (or a shortage of date mixture) so I smeared raspberry preserves on that end and those were delicious. The kids loved them. Thanks for the easy recipe with figs or raspberry jam. XO, Heather

Angela Liddon October 17, 2016 at 8:24 pm

So glad to hear the preserves worked out, Heather! (Sounds delicious!)

Tess November 2, 2016 at 8:26 am

Turned out great! So delicious.

Angela Liddon November 2, 2016 at 8:34 am

I’m glad they were a success! :)

Alice November 29, 2016 at 12:21 pm

These look lovely!! How long do you suppose these would last for?

Casey January 21, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Would it be ok to use roasted cashews instead of almonds? These look absolutely delicious but cashews are the only nuts I have right now.

Angela Liddon February 1, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Hi Casey, I haven’t tried using another nut yet, but I can’t see why cashews wouldn’t work! Roasted cashews will add a toasted, light sweetness which might be really nice. Please report back if you try it out!

Lynn February 7, 2017 at 10:09 pm

These dates squares are the best. I make them often as they are easy and everyone loves them:) I had a bunch of dried apricots in my freezer, so thought I would throw some in with the dates. They turned out heavenly!!! Love your recipes Angela….thank you for all your dedication and hard work. We all appreciate you so much.

Kristopher May 2, 2017 at 12:29 am

I WILL be making these tomorrow. I just rediscovered sun dried dates. I also bought some sun dried figs and might try a batch with those swapped in for dates. The mass and consistency is pretty close.

Kristopher May 3, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Turned out pretty well for my first try. The suggested ingredients were seeming a bit dry so I doubled the qty of dates and added some water. Added some freshly minced pecans and walnuts to give the mix more bulk.

I dashed some cinnamon on top right before eating and loved it.

Susan December 31, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Thank you so much, in Rhode Island you can get date bars in almost any bakery but they always have a crisco or something taste but better than nothing. But in Florida, forget it, I haven’t seen any. I love the simplicity of it. I didn’t have all the correct ingredients, roasted almonds instead of raw, and only about 20 dates but I tried it anyway. Soooooo good. Can’t wait to do it again with the correct ingredients.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2018 at 8:27 am

Hey Susan, Oh I hear you about the bakery bought date squares. I bought one from a restaurant over the holidays and it didn’t taste nearly as good as these (too much white sugar which was over powering). I also think this recipe would work well with all different kinds of nuts…love the roasted almond idea. Happy new year!