Chilled Double Chocolate Torte

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 9, 2010

IMG_5272-2

I think I jinxed myself yesterday talking about the cold because today we are under an extreme cold weather alert. The only upside to this cold weather is that there is usually some beautiful sunshine to go with it so today is really bright and clear outside!

Since I posted about my chocolate torte experience on Sunday, I have been excited to go into more depth about how to make it. After trying The Coup’s chocolate torte, I was determined to create my own version free of tofu. I’m not really a fan of tofu in my desserts and I figured I could make one without it.

I absolutely fell in love with this torte and it was one of the rare occasions that I nailed the recipe on the first shot. Actually I think that is the only time it has ever happened! I was pretty excited that it turned out because I made it, along with the other 3 Coup recipes, on the day before and morning of the deadline for the challenge! It was a pretty crazy weekend to say the least. ;)

Not only is this torte free of tofu, but it contains a certain green ingredient that is packed with healthy fats and vitamins.

Any guesses?

torteresized

[print_this]

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte

Crust adapted from The Coup Cookbook.

Crust ingredients:

• 1 cup + 6 tbsp whole grain spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup white sugar OR 1/2 cup sugar + 1/3 cup Sucanat
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup

Filling:

• 2 cups avocado flesh (approx 4 medium avocados), pitted and scooped out
  • 1/3 cup almond milk (revised amount)
  • 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or almond butter)
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, sift together the dry crust ingredients (spelt, cocoa powder, baking powder, arrowroot powder, sugar and salt). In a medium bowl, whisk the wet crust ingredients (oil, maple syrup, milk). Add wet to dry and stir well.

In a 10 inch springform cake pan, scoop on the crust batter and spread out with a wet spoon or wet hands. The batter will be very sticky so you will have to keep wetting your spoon/hands. Spread out as evenly as possible and bake for 25 minutes at 375F.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling by placing all filling ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor. Process until smooth.

Once the crust is done baking, remove from oven to slightly cool off for about 5-10 mins. Now melt your chocolate chips in a small bowl and place melted chocolate into food processor mixture. Process until smooth. Scoop this filling into cake pan on top of crust. Smooth out as much as possible and then place in the freezer for 1.5-2 hours to firm up.

Remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes before serving chilled. Serves 10-12. Place leftover torte in the freezer wrapped and placed in a seal container. I’m not sure how long it lasts in the freezer, but I would guess 1-3 weeks if sealed properly.

Note that this torte should be served chilled as it looses it’s firm shape when at room temperature. Eric and I also agreed that it tasted much better chilled.

[/print_this]

If you guessed this torte contains avocado, you are correct! This chocolate torte filling packs in a whopping two cups of avocado. But, you’d never know it…

IMG_5246

First things first, preheat the oven too 375F and gather up the dry crust ingredients.

IMG_5219

Sift together in a big bowl:

IMG_5225

Gather the wet ingredients (almond milk, maple syrup, oil) in a small bowl and whisk.

IMG_5229

Add wet to dry and stir.

IMG_5232

Spread into a greased 10 inch springform cake pan.

IMG_5236

The crust batter will be very thick! Do not fear. Spread it around evenly as much as possible.

IMG_5238

That’ll do.

IMG_5239

Now bake the crust for 25 minutes at 375F.

Meanwhile, let’s make the delicious chocolate filling!

Gather up the 2 cups avocado flesh, almond milk, peanut butter, vanilla, arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, and kosher salt. Don’t grab the chocolate chips yet as we don’t need them right now.

IMG_5247

Process until smooth! This chocolate ‘pudding’ will taste incredible.

IMG_5259

Once your chocolate base is finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Take a knife and carefully circle it around the base.

Meanwhile, melt your chocolate chips.

IMG_5269

Mmmmm. Now add this melted chocolate into the food processor and process until smooth. It will taste like HEAVEN!!!

Your filling is now ready to be spread over the crust!

IMG_5271

If you don’t feel like making the entire torte you could always just make this chocolate filling and eat it as pudding.  :) It is that good.

IMG_5275

Smooth it out.

IMG_5277

Now freeze the torte for 1.5-2 hours until firm. Once firm, take a knife and circle it around the edges once again, going very slowly.

Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes and then open up the springform pan carefully and serve immediately! This torte is meant to be served cold, so don’t let it sit at room temperature to warm up (especially because there is avocado in the filling and you don’t want it to spoil).

IMG_4963

The result is an incredibly delicious, rich chocolate torte!

IMG_4993

Place any leftovers into a sealed container and pop it into the freezer until you get your next craving. I’m not sure how long this keeps in the freezer, but I would guess that if sealed properly it would keep a couple weeks.

I don’t think I need to tell you that Eric is obsessed with this torte. Last night he had two huge slices and was pretty much in chocolate ecstasy . :)

IMG_4980

The filling has a pudding-like texture that is creamy, incredibly smooth, and chocolaty. It goes great with the Coconut Chai Latte too. :)

IMG_4983

Today is the last day you can vote in round #9 of Project Food Blog! I appreciate your support in helping me advance tomorrow. :)

I am off to work on my holiday Glo bakery orders today. Have a great Thursday!

Page 4 of 4«1234
Deanne April 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hello,

I just wanted to send in some feedback. I made the chilled double chocolate torte for my entire family for Easter this weekend and it was so embarrassing. The torte tasted horrific. The avocados in it made it absolutely disgusting. It tasted like eating chocolate on avocados. I am honestly still sick today. I have felt nauseas since Easter Sunday. The entire family tried it and no one liked it. I was so embarrassed. I looked up so many recipes and decided on that one since this website said it was a favorite. I am really disappointed now b/c I was hoping to use this website often for recipes but now I’m scared to try anything else on here if that was a crowd favorite! I honestly still want to throw up. I’m very discouraged. I don’t know where to find vegan recipes now that I can count on. I haven’t had any luck. I feel like this is why people go back to eating animals. It’s very sad. I strongly suggest thinking twice before posting something and saying it’s good b/c it could be the recipe that converts someone back :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

Hi Deanne,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m so sorry to hear that you and your family did not enjoy the torte. That makes me feel horrible. I’m surprised by your reaction to it because the feedback I’ve had has been so positive, but of course not everyone’s taste buds are the same. We found that you can’t detect the avocado when made according to the directions. I will have to respectfully disagree with you about not being able to use this site for vegan recipes. While I don’t think that every recipe will please everyone, I do think there are many options that could please someone new to this lifestyle. I do appreciate your feedback and hope you will give other recipes a shot. Take care! Ange

PS- I moved this comment to the original post.

Deanne April 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi Ange,

Thank you for the quick reply. I feel awful that I made you feel bad by my comments. I shouldn’t have said anything. I think I was just frustrated b/c I have felt nauseas since then just thinking about the dessert. I do apologize for being harsh and in all honesty am SO thankful for your site and that you offer vegan recipes for people. I wish everyone did that. I will give some other recipes a try and I’m sure they will be delicious. But I do agree, not everyone will like every recipe. Thank you for providing cruelty free options for people. I hope you have a great day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2012 at 7:37 am

Thanks Deanne. I understand it’s frustrating when recipe don’t turn out as you’d hope. Goodluck if you try out others! Take care

Raechelle May 19, 2012 at 10:55 am

Love this and can’t wait to try! Question though that I haven’t seen above – is there any way to leave out the peanut butter? What is a good replacement, if anything? Can you taste it in the final product? This would be a MAJOR turn off in my house, sadly. (Even though I love PB!) Please help – would love to know how to do this minus the PB! You are truly amazing! Thank you so much for this recipe! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

Yes I think it would work without it. If I remember it was just 1 tbsp right?
Or you could use another type of nut butter. Be sure to serve the torte cold!

Jackie June 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Is it necessary to use the peanut butter? can you detect a peanut taste in the final product?

Also I’m a huge OSG fan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I couldn’t detect a peanuty taste. If I can remember there was only a table spoon or 2, so it can probably be left out.

Jackie June 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Woops just read the comment above me! Sorry for the duplication

Kellye June 29, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I looooooove this recipe! I have to admit, I have even used the filling as frosting– it pipes beautifully through a pastry bag, and it holds up nicely when I frost cupcakes with it!!! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Wow I had no idea…I will have to try this! Did you have to chill it first?

Ashley November 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Love love love this recipe. I made it yesterday to take to my mom’s for Thanksgiving. Everyone who ate it absolutely loved it. My sister, a baker, kept saying, “I taste something. I can’t quite make it out.” Eventually, she figured out that it was avocado (because I was keeping mum lest I scare away people…), but she said she loved the “zippy” flavor of the avocado combined with the rich chocolate. No one else could tell (or they kept saying they tasted banana). I left with just a quarter of the tort, which is awesome, considering there were about a million desserts to pick from!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thats so great to hear, thanks for letting me know!

Helena November 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I’ve been wanting to make this recipe FOREVER. Im pretty sure it must taste amazing with cocoa!

Only I thought ‘hm, maybe I can make it with carob powder insteat’ (my dad’s allergic to cocoa). WORST idea ever. Please, anyone who’s thinking carob in this recipe- don’t even go there. Tastes disgusting.

So I’m off to make your pumpkin pie now and try to forget the carob-avocado-cake ever happened. (I WILL make this recipe with cocoa one day!)

Sonja December 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I made this torte and I was disappointed in this recipe. The avocado flavor was present in my final torte, leaving it with a strange smell and flavor. It looked beautiful, but didn’t meet expectations.

Andrea February 28, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Angela, I made your no bake version of this chocolate torte a while back and absolutely fell in LOVE with it! It was so amazing. Ever since, I’ve been wanting to try this version to compare! Well, I made it today and it is just delicious. It’s hard to pick a favorite version, because they’re both so good! When I started making this today, I had 5 avocados and wanted to measure the 2 cups of them out first to make sure I had enough. Well, two of the avocados were bad and I couldn’t use them, so I only had 1 1/2 cups of avocado flesh. Not wanting to go to the store, I decided to mash up a banana to give me 2 cups of “flesh” total. It totally worked! You can taste the banana in the torte, but I actually like it! Thanks for another awesome recipe :)

Mariel May 2, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I tried this using 1 cup of almond meal and 6 all purpose flour, it worked out lovely!

Mariel May 2, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oops I meant 6 tbsp all purpose flour!

Maxine June 15, 2013 at 4:39 am

Just made it for a delectable dessert,….oooooh much more filling then I expected (especially since I couldn’t resist that chocolate pudding when pouring it) I made it in a 7.5 inch pan because my mum prefers a tall thick slice of cake, turned out beautiful, fancy enough for a restaurant!

Suzanne June 28, 2013 at 12:45 am

I’ve tried it,but made it with gluten-free crust!!! and it was the very very best chocolate torte I’ve ever had. I made it for my mum’s anniversary and she loved it so much that it was gone on the other day! Thank you very much for this another delicious recipe.

Jules July 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm

OMG…I made this and it was soooo delish. My friend didn’t believe I made it. Great recipe. Everything i’ve made from your site is so good. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes.

Leanna October 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi Angela, thanks for the yummy recipe. I made it for my veg potluck and it was devoured. I am going to make it this Thanksgiving however one of the guests has a nut allergy. I’ll sub rice milk for the almond milk but do you think pumpkin seed or sesame seed butter would be the best sub for the peanut butter? Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hey Leanna, I would probably suggest sunflower seed butter (Sunbutter is a great brand). Pumpkin and tahini are quite bitter, so I’m not sure about those. Good luck!

Jammy November 24, 2013 at 1:38 am

Yum, but avocados are so expensive(2$ or 3$ for one), and I can’t find vegan choc chips. the ones that are available is exorbitant.

Faye December 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Hi Angela,

I’m not too familiar with spelt flour. Would whole wheat pastry flour work? Or all purpose?

By the way, all your recipes are making it really hard for me to decide what to make for my family Christmas party!

Faye December 12, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Oh and also, is the 2c of avocado flesh mashed or cubed?

Rachel December 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Just made this for the second time tonight–so good! Unfortunately, I realized too late I only had 1 avocado (instead of 4). I used the 1 small avocado I had, but subbed in soaked cashews, dates, 1 lb of spinach, and an extra 1/3 cup chocolate chips. It was AMAZING! Couldn’t taste any of the “mystery” ingredients nor the telltale aftertaste of avocado oil.

beth December 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I made this for today…and its weird….but it really roze up…compared to your pictures. we havn’t had it yet and i just realised i forgot to run the knife around it..it will probably be a massive disaster but what would i have done wrong to make it rise up? it went to the top of the 10inch pan!.

Michael February 16, 2014 at 12:42 am

While staying in the “cabin” and avoiding the snowstorm outside I made this chocolate torte. It is brilliant. I love all the textures and flavors… and the cake is nice and moist. I think I might be glowing now from eating this creation.

Rana Hanna February 20, 2014 at 8:52 am

I made it today, but the avocado tasted so funny I couldn’t bare it :( maybe you should put a lot less !!

Anne March 12, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Non-vegans could use cow’s milk (rather than almond, etc.) in the pudding/filling without problem, right?

Vanya Dineva December 7, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I just made this torte, absolutely amazing! None of my guests could guess the main ingredient for the filling is avocado. Everyone loved it.

Katarina May 13, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Hello!

My name is Katarina and I come from Slovenia (smaller country near Italy). Today is the frist time I visited your blog and it is fantastic, tasty,.. :)
I have one question about this recipe (Chilled Double Chocolate Torte) – where does the name “torte” come from? I am interested, because in our country the word for “cake” in “torta”, so it is simmilar to your name” torte” – the only difference is in the last letter.

Best wishes,
Katarina

Joana G May 21, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Hi Angela!
I am going to be making this tomorrow and I was wondering if you think it’s ok to use normal flour instead of the spelt flour?
I love your website and I already tried lots of your recipes. Till now my favourite is the creamy tomato pasta! Sooo delicious!
Thanks! :-)