The Hummus That Changed Everything

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 4, 2010

20101115-IMG_0504

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG_0452

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG_4656

[print_this]

The Homemade Hummus That Changed Everything

Adapted from Barefoot Contessa.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups cooked chickpeas, liquid reserved and set aside
  • 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/3 Cup tahini
  • 7-8 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or water)
  • 4-8 drops of Tabasco sauce (amazing), to taste
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
  • Paprika, for garnish

Directions: Place all ingredients into a food processor (except the salt) and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Now add in salt gradually, stopping to taste as you go. I find the salt preference of hummus varies a lot by the person, so be sure to adjust it to your needs. Also, if you use unsalted chickpeas, you may need more salt. Scoop into a bowl and drizzle with a good quality olive oil and garnish with paprika. Makes about 2 cups and lasts for about 4-5 days in the fridge in a sealed container.

[/print_this]

IMG_4633

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG_4638

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG_4640

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG_4649

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG_4661

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG_4665

Just perfect.

IMG_4667

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG_4671

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

Page 4 of 4«1234
AR Fan January 27, 2014 at 4:15 pm

The recipe name says it all for me, too! I’ve tried so many hummus recipes but never found one that just ‘hit the spot’ until I made this one. Now, it’s my favorite hummus! Ceamy lusciousness on bread with slices of tomato and avocado… Mmm, good!!! Thanks so much, Angela, for passing on the perfect hummus recipe!!!

Fran January 31, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks for the recipe … I tried it and LOVED it. I also skinned each chickpea before tossing in the food processor to achieve a super smooth hummus texture. It was a little time consuming, but it only took 15 minutes and made a noticeable difference. If squeezed just right, the chickpea slides right out of the skin. This was yum!!

John May 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I had previously given up on making my own hummus, but after finishing off my hummus for the week in 4 days (at a price of $5.99), I decided I had to give it another try. I must say, this was without a doubt the best hummus I’ve ever tasted. This is coming from someone who has been to the Middle East several times and frequents Middle Eastern restaurants regularly. Hummus is of course in the eye of beholder, and there are so many different recipes with different consistencies and flavors, but I just love this one. It is on the thicker side, and the store-brand hummus it reminds me of the most, both in flavor and texture/consistency, is Athenos original hummus.

Anyways, I highly recommend this recipe, and I enjoy your blog a lot, keep up the great work!

Scarlett May 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I made this tonight and it is DELICIOUS.

Jessica Fig August 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

This is my new go-to hummus recipe! I have made it a few times with different variations. Today I did half white (cannellini) beans and half chickpeas. Last time I removed most of the chickpea skins, but this time I did not. Both times it yielded a very smooth hummus so I am not sure if skinning the chickpeas is completely worth the time. I love dipping raw veggies or crackers in this hummus – SO GOOD :) I have also been having mixed greens salads with lots of fresh veggies, quinoa, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a dollop of this hummus on the side. Thank you for another great recipe!

Susan August 16, 2014 at 6:22 am

I love this hummus. I had hoped to use it for lunches this week but the first batch has gone already! Need to make another one.
Thanks

Deborah H August 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I love this hummus! What really makes it taste special to me is that you left out the cumin and so the clean fresh taste of the hummus can shine :) I also made a batch of your spiced pita chips (from the OSG cookbook)… AMAZING! I think that I heard angels sing when I took my first bite!!!

Tamara September 17, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I’ve made hummus for years but as easy as it is to make, I’ve never been happy with my “recipe”, no matter how much I doctored it up. Who knew that the trick for me, anyway, was to leave out the cumin and add some hot sauce? I tried this tonight and I didn’t have any hot sauce in the house but I used siracha and it came out great! Thank you so much!

Ali Morris November 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm

This really is the hummus that changed everything. I thought I hated hummus until I tried this recipe. Store bought hummus is bland and awful, this is pure magic. Thank you :)
p.s I love hummus

sarah November 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This was amazing hummus – have made it twice now. I didn’t even add the salt this time and it was still amazing. Will be making over and over. Thank you!!

Karrie December 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm

OK, I just *finally* got around to trying this recipe and WOW! I think it is better than Fontaine Sante!! Thank you so much!!

Sandy July 21, 2015 at 8:57 am

Hey just thought I’d add that as I was missing tobacso, I used plenty more of a Trinidad hotsauce, left the shells, 7 tbsp of lemon is enough and ITS AWESOME
Thanks so much!

Taylor DiFonzo September 7, 2015 at 4:39 pm

I’m 17 and I am trying to make a slow transition into going vegan. I made this hummus and some homemade pita bread today and it was soooo good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It only took like 7 minutes to make :D

Suzan Vasica December 27, 2015 at 1:17 am

Is 7 to 8 “tbsp” of lemon juice a typo? I made this hummus and omg that’s lie not far off 1 cup lemon juice. It was so sour I had to add some agave to make it edible. Was still quite lemony but was easy to eat. Was quite nice after that. When I me this again I think I’ll greatly reduce the lemon

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi Suzan, 1 cup has 16 tablespoons in it so 7-8 is much less. :) Hope you didn’t use a full cup – yes that would be tart!

Suzan Vasica December 30, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Angela I actually counted 8 tablespoons of juice into a measuring cup and it was not far off one cup. I think the US Standard measurements compared to Australian standard measurements made mine so much more. Our 1 tablespoon is 20ml and 1 cup is 250ml. Yes I did put it all in lmao. When I asked my sis she said just put it in hahaha. But all ended up well. We added some Agave to take much of the tartness away so was tangy but quite nice. I made it again today for New Years Eve, and this time just used the juice of 2 lemons lol. Still may add more next time jaut not as much as first time Its a yummy recipe and I haven’t bothered looking up any others

Gauri January 27, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Perfect taste!

Laura April 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I think the recipe means 7-8 tsp lemon juice vice Tbsp. Ours is runny and very lemon-flavored! :)

Sheebu May 1, 2016 at 4:56 am

Oh my god I love hummus so much,and this would save me so much of money! So simple and easy! Thank you for sharing!

Lucy May 8, 2016 at 11:43 am

This is delicious. First recipe I’ve made of yours and it’s great. I found it a little too much tahini for my taste though, so going to try less next time. I bought some ready made stuff in case I mucked it up, but I wish I hadn’t bothered, it is awesome! Thank you! :D x

Angela Liddon May 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Aw, I’m so glad the recipe was a hit, Lucy! I hope you enjoy whatever recipe you try next just as well. Happy cooking! :)

Edi May 26, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I love hummus so much! I used this recipe and omitted oil. So good!

Risa June 16, 2016 at 4:12 am

I MADE THIS!!!!! and i loved it so so much!!!! thank you!! ! It was so pretty w the paprika on top too.

Angela Liddon June 16, 2016 at 7:25 am

So glad you enjoyed it, Risa!

Leanne February 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm

OMG! I was searching for “better than LaFontaine hummus” and guess what I found! Made it exactly and it was FAB!! Love all the comments for future variations! Thanks!! Super DELICIOUS!

Angela Liddon February 27, 2017 at 11:59 am

Glad you’re enjoying it, Leanne! Have fun experimenting with those variations, too.

Jon May 18, 2017 at 5:53 pm

This hummus recipe is fantastic! Thanks! One idea that I came across recently for making the hummus a little creamer and blending the flavors even better is to add just the tahini and lemon juice to the food processor and process till smooth and creamy. I stop the processor and scrape the sides and then blend again to make sure it is really smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients. That is how I made this version and it turned out great!

Angela Liddon May 19, 2017 at 8:38 am

Thanks for sharing, Jon!

margaret ruskiewicz June 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’ll have to try this again with half the lemon. I made it with freshly juiced-juicer style lemons, not squeezed, and man it knocked my socks off! I tried masking it with some cumin. I had it in the food processor, then transferred it to the vitamix that instantly made is smooth as silk :)

Janet July 21, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Do you find it best to remove the “skin” from each chickpea?

Angela Liddon July 28, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’ve done this before, and it definitely results in a smoother hummus. However, it’s quite time-consuming so I don’t do it very often. :) Apparently if you have a Vitamix it makes really smooth hummus (I have yet to try it though!).

Doreen September 28, 2017 at 12:39 pm

It is perfect… with some extra garlic :P

ralph November 5, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Have been trying hummus recipes for months looking for something that is as good as you get at a middle eastern restaurant. Nothing has come close until now. Not only is this as good as any I’ve had I would say even better.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2017 at 7:11 am

So happy to hear this Ralph! Happy hummus eating ;)

Annie January 31, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I tried this today,and it was fabulous,my husband just loved it, definitely wort saving.Thanks for sharing, Blessings.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2018 at 6:13 am

Hey Annie, I’m so happy you loved it so much! Thank you for trying it out. :)