Project Food Blog: Entry #1

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 15, 2010

20100915-rollerbladingthumb

Once upon a time there was this little girl,

She loved pink, polka-dots, and rollers that made her hair curl.

She was always happy, smiling, and enjoying her youth,

But somewhere along the way she lost her truth.

Soon this girl was a teenager and she lost her glow,

She struggled with an eating disorder but wanted no one to know.

During this time she forgot about her life passions and dreams,

When she thought about a career choice she wanted to scream.

The problem was she didn’t know what to do,

So she became a professional student, got her masters too,

She thought the key to happiness was a high paying career,

But the joke was on her at the end of tax year.

IMG_7199

She started working at a research job,

Unhappy, she would often drive home and sob.

On Halloween day of two thousand and Eight,

She started this blog and wished for a new fate.

Her blog became a passion, an escape from her pain,

She connected with others and felt a lot more sane.

After 4 months of blogging she got the courage to quit,

She was sick of this job making her feel like…the pits.

As she walked down that hall, her heart was in her throat,

She knew what she had to do to keep herself afloat.

With a quick, deep breath she said I’m Outta here,

and then she went home and had a few beer.

Quitting is hard, but not being happy is worse,

and for many days you count the pennies in your purse.

But the reality was this girl fell in love with her blog,

When she explained to others they looked at her in a fog.

This girl said goodbye to the troubles of her past,

She said with a smile, don’t let the door hit you in the

[Yes, she’s crass!]

This girl who used to eat fat-free foods galore,

was now cooking, baking, and even eating yummy s’mores!

20100831-IMG_1811

IMG_2766

Yes it’s true, she fell in love with food.

And she even started to smile at herself in the nude.

Her passion for health, the environment, and animals grew,

So she became a vegan and she felt brand new.

20100911-IMG_2882

IMG_9163

Then one day it hit her like a ton of bricks,

She should start a vegan bakery, somehow it all clicked.

She would write, and bake, and create delicious meals,

With a dash of love, inspiration, happiness, and zeal.

IMG_2976

I am happy to say this girl is in a good place,

And some say you can now see the glow upon her face.

The moral of the story is to never accept what you think is your fate,

For sometimes you must pave a new road and go create.

IMG00192-20100725-1025

The reason for my wordy rhyme or two,

Is a fun contest and here’s the clue.

I hope you had fun with this rhyme that I made,

Many thanks to my writing teacher from third grade.

~Project Food Blog, Entry #1: ‘Why I should be the next Food Blog Star’

To see all of my Project Food Blog entries, see the links in this final post

Page 4 of 4«1234
sippitysup September 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Came to check out the competition. You look strong! Good Luck! GREG

katie September 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I cried. This was really cute :)

KimLivesHealthy September 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I love the poem! This makes me want to go back and read more of your earlier posts & About Me stuff to hear the full story of your transition to full-time blogger!

Angie September 16, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Fabulous post! I loved every line.

Have an amzing time in Paris!

Heather McClees September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Angela,
I want you to know that I felt like I was looking in a mirror when I read this. You truly have no idea how much I needed to read this. I used to have an eating disorder and fell in love with food and vegan eating 2 years ago. My family thinks I’m crazy, nuts and pitiful for loving food so much. I could read recipes and stay in a kitchen all day. The truth is though, the kitchen is where I healed from fearing food. It’s where I learned who I really was. I started blogging last January,and I felt like the part of my soul that was missing from what I knew I wanted to do, and what I could do, actually met each other finally. It was if my dreams had touched my abilities for the first time in my life and all the emotional baggage just fell away. Recently, I’ve had 2 life tragedies and my health has taken a nose dive south due to stress. My family often thinks I’m crazy for sticking with staying at home to write instead of going to work to find a full time job. As a senior in college in Nutrition, I’ve decided to get my Masters in Psychology and I’ve been contemplating jobs recently. I went on an interview today for a full time job with all the perks and felt sicker than I have in my life. I knew I didn’t want it because it meant no time for my blog or me. At 26, it sounds foolish, but what I really want is a part time job at Whole Foods I interviewed for where I could contribute to a world of health that I love and still have time to write while I’m in school. Sometimes dreams seem so silly when we say them to others, but they are louder in our hearts than we could imagine.

Thank you eternally for this post. You helped me make up my mind and do what I knew I needed to do from the beginning. God bless you and I’m voting for you:) Your childhood pictures looks so much like mine!:) It’s hilarious

PS- My dream job is to write a recipe book, blog full time and open my own vegan and allergen friendly ice cream shop:) I know if we met, I’d feel like I wasn’t so crazy afterall:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

Thank you so much for your comment…you are an amazing girl and you have such a great spirit. I wish all the best for you in the future. xo

Natalia - a side of simple September 17, 2010 at 10:04 am

Beautiful <3

Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) September 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Awww I loved this poem! Good luck :)

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) September 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Great and inspiring poem!! Loved the glimpse into your life and how you overcame your struggles. Rock on, girl!!

Kristin September 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Very inspirational! Best of luck!

Kayla September 21, 2010 at 8:17 am

I just voted for you! :) Good luck!
Here’s the link for everyone else who wants to vote for Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010 at 9:03 am

thanks!!

Phoebe September 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

Great Post! Good Luck with the rest of the competition! (I’m in it too.)

Lindsay September 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Beautiful! I just gave you a vote! You can check out my entry here: http://tinyurl.com/2ec2hlq Thanks and Good Luck!!

Joan Nova September 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Wow – you got the most comments of anyone! Well-deserved for clever entry. I’m casting one of my votes for you.

notyet100 September 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm

i am so glad to knw that u followed ur dream,.;-)

@lickmyspoon September 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I love your creative take on the first challenge. With your passion and drive you are going to go far in this competition. Best of luck. You’ve got my vote.

Karen September 5, 2017 at 8:20 am