High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 8, 2010

20100908-IMG_2684

Eric loves mashed potatoes.

I mean, he really loves mashed potatoes.

He has been hinting on a daily basis that mashed potatoes would be a great way to ‘use up’ our stock pile of red potatoes courtesy of our Plan B CSA.

I said, ‘Sounds good, when ya making them?’ ;)

I have successfully evaded his hints for the past few weeks as I dreamed about making another batch of Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips. Who needs mashed potatoes when you can make chips?

It’s not that I don’t like mashed potatoes. Really I do. I just love them when they are creamy, garlicky, smooth ‘n chunky, skins and all. Buttery, salty, piled with salsa or ketchup. It is fun to dress them up.

They are total comfort food.

However, my issue is that by the time I remember to add them as a side dish, it is already too late and I don’t have enough time to cook them. I tell myself, ‘I will make them tomorrow’ and then they get buried under veggies, forgotten about for weeks. Then I start to see snake-like sprouts trying to escape from the crisper and I run in the opposite direction like a little baby.

I also never think to use potatoes as a main dish because they lack protein and staying power.

I vowed to change that by amping up the protein.

Watch out Eric, you better be careful of what you wish for. ;)

20100908-IMG_2659

[print_this]

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

These mashed potatoes have a delicious buttery and garlicky flavour and lots of texture from the potato skins. The boast a whopping 11 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre per serving. Use them as a main dish by adding some cooked veggies and toppings like ketchup, salsa, BBQ sauce, or buttery spread.

Ingredients:

• 10-12 large organic red potatoes
  • 3-3.5 cups cooked navy beans (two 15-oz cans)*
  • 1/4 cup soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread
  • 2 tbsp unsweet. almond milk
  • 4-5 large cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground paprika
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • other herbs and seasoning, to taste

Directions:

1. Wash potatoes with a potato scrubber, chop into large chunks, and toss into a large pot. I prefer to leave the skin on, but you can peel if desired.

2. Fill pot with water until potatoes are covered. Cook on medium-high heat for about 30-35 minutes until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl.

3. Drop in garlic cloves into a food processor (running) and process until finely chopped. Add drained and rinsed beans, salt, paprika, and process until mostly smooth.

3. After cooling potatoes for a few minutes, take a potato masher and mash until desired consistency is achieved. Now add your milk and Earth Balance and keep mashing.

4. Add processed bean mixture to potato mixture and mash until smooth. Sprinkle with black pepper, other herbs, and additional sea salt.

5. Serve with Earth Balance, salsa, ketchup, or BBQ sauce, and a serving of cooked veggies to round out the meal.

Note: You can also swap the beans for 1 cup of red lentils. Simply stir in cooked lentils as you mash the potatoes.

Nutritional Info: (Serves 8). Per serving, approx: 336kcal, 7 gram fat, 11 grams fibre, 11 grams protein, 2 grams sugar.

[/print_this]

20100908-IMG_2667

Add some elbow grease and work out those arms! ;)

20100908-IMG_2668

Add almond milk…

20100908-IMG_2669

and Earth Balance (or what you have on hand!)…

20100908-IMG_2670

We are huge fans of leaving the skins in the mashed potatoes. It adds a great texture and more nutrients (although I wouldn’t suggest leaving the skin on if you use non-organic as potatoes are part of the dirty dozen and are high in pesticides).

Drain beans.

20100908-IMG_2664

Process 2 cans of navy beans (3-3.5 cups), garlic, salt, and paprika in food processor until almost smooth…

20100908-IMG_2675

The bean mixture will taste amazing. Spoon some into mouth.

Yum.

Add bean mixture to potato mixture and mash ‘em up!

20100908-IMG_2677

Wheeeee.

20100908-IMG_2678

Sprinkle with remaining paprika, black pepper, and more salt.

20100908-IMG_2686

I left them a bit chunky because Eric likes them that way. It’s a texture thing when they are too smooth, I guess. ;)

20100908-IMG_2690

Adding navy beans to mashed potatoes is a great way to make them protein rich and sneak in some nutrition without anyone being the wiser.

They are now high in protein and delicious.

20100908-IMG_2680

Eric and I used these potatoes as the main dish for our meal. I added some cooked veggies and stirred them in. It was delicious and very filling! Eric thought they were awesome and he had no idea they contained beans! Success.

20100908-IMG_2679

I will see you tomorrow morning. :) I will be talking about what activities I did post-10k race to expedite the recovery process! Enjoy your evening.

Page 3 of 3«123
Tracey September 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Mashed potatoes is something I rarely make also, but Chris looooves them. He calls the smushed taters, haha, he’s a little kid at heart. I will have to try this recipe out, it looks great and will hopefully please his need for “smushed taters” and my need for a nutritious meal.

melissa roby September 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I started reading your blog about a month ago….although I don’t post it on my blog…I find our pasts are pretty similar…I have spent so much time and energy wasted on distorted thoughts about my body and food…as I get older it does get better…I am realizing life is too short and there is soooo much more in life worth my focus….you have given me inspiration every day though….thank you!!!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm

What a great idea to add beans! I would never have thought of that ! I can’t wait to try this!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm

LOOOOOOOOOVE this idea :D The only thing that would make it better is a head of roasted garlic ;) mmmmmmmmmmm

T September 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I made these tonight, so good! I wouldn’t have known there were beans in them. Definitely making these from now on!

Afrina May 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi!

This sounds amazing ! I was wondering If I could substitute anything for the earth balance ? I’m experimenting with a dairy- free diet due to dairy sensitivity, but I also don’t have any earth balance on hand and I don’t want to buy one for one recipe. Would coconut oil work? or maybe olive oil? but the texture would be off right?..let me know :) Thank you !

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Im not sure, the EB definitely gives it a very buttery flavour that I love! I would try a bit of extra virgin olive oil, however the flavour might be pronounced.

Jude June 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love making limas and potatoes. Might try this idea with them.

Brandie September 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I had JUST cooked up a new batch of navy beans today and came on to search a recipe to make them for dinner, and I’d actually planned on making mashed potatoes too – I LOVE me some mashed potatoes, could eat them every day! – and I came up on this post. I had to cut the recipe down, cause it’s just me and my lil man (he’s 4) but they are SO. FREAKING. GOOD! Thank you so much for having shared this. :)

(Even after cutting it down I’ll have leftovers for at least 3-4 days, so get to enjoy them again and again!)

Sherry October 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Can this be frozen for latter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

Im not sure, I haven’t put mashed potatoes in the freezer before. Does anyone know?

van November 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Great idea for mashed potatoes! Definitely trying it this year! Thanks!

Anna November 20, 2012 at 7:34 am

Was thinking to skip white potato for Thanksgiving this year,but after this brilliant idea I can’t wait to try. Thank you so much for sharing.

kally November 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Please help me adapt this recipe. You gave me advice for the squash and kale dish and it was great. i can’t use the Earth Balance because of medical reasons, what else do you think might work? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hi Kally, You can use any butter sub of your liking. Becel also makes a vegan butter spread. Earth Balance has a soy free one as well which is what I use.

kally November 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

can’t use any of those spreads, so I am going to go ahead and try it with a bit more oil. Thanks for your reply.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Ive seen some mashed potato recipes with oil so you should be fine! Enjoy :) you could also try cashew cream

kristian November 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I just made these last night. They came out amazing and my non vegan boyfriend loved them! Im trying to find vegan recipes that my non vegan BF will like. The only veggies he eats are broccoli, carrots, corn, green beans, potatoes, peas and iceberg lettuce. His diet basically consists of cereal and store bought chocolate chip cookies and lots of milk. Im not trying to pressure him into becoming vegetarian or vegan, i just wish he ate a more well rounded diet. Any suggestions?

alaina January 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Just was looking up some confirmation to what I thought was an original thought — white beans+kale+mashed potatoes= good times. Thanks! Trying to figure out cheaper protein meals for my gluten allergic husband and I. Saw on the news that, as I guessed while watching my garden suffer the 2012 drought here in northern Indiana, the price of meat is only going to go up this year. Thanks again:-)

Gina January 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Been loving your blog for a couple of years now, (I’m dairy free because my gut told me i had to be) but just finally trying to go vegan. I think this mashed potato recipe just might change my life :)

Pam February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You didn’t mention how many carbs are in this recipe?

Brooke Premo March 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I just had my wisdom teeth out and I feel like I can’t satiate my hunger with blended soups and broth, so I’m making these tonight! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Camille June 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I know I’m late to this posting, but thumbs up on the navy bean mixture! That could be a meal in and of itself. #garliclover

Allie November 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I already add parsnips to my vegan garlic mashed potatoes to make them healthier, and now I cannot wait to try them with Navy Beans! I think I will try both and see how it turns out.

Rachel November 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What “other herbs” do you use and how much? That’s a bit too vague for me….

Susan December 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

I made these for Thanksgiving, not telling the table of guests that they were anything but normal mashed potatoes and they were a hit! Later, I told people they had no milk or butter and it had a whole can of beans and they couldn’t believe me! I am now affectionately calling these “pink potatoes” because the paprika in them, but this is my new go to potato recipe. Thank you for creating and sharing. YUM! I actually made these the day before and reheated in the over in time for the meal, and they were great!

Joanne February 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I just recently found your website and I love it! This recipe is a really great idea. If I need a mashed potato filler, I usually go for some cauliflower, but this is even better because it’ll fill you up faster. I’m going to add white beans to my loaded mashed potatoes next time.

SoHo February 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I just made these and while I like them they are VERY beany. I would likely make them again but reduce the amount of beans to 1.5 cups of cooked navy beans. Great recipe!

Haley September 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

These were seriously good. I did end up adding about 1/2 teaspoon more salt as well as some garlic powder. But wow! I would recommend to anyone who doesn’t own a Vitamix or another high end blender to just mash the beans in a bowl and minces the garlic by hand. My blender was not up to the task, so I had to transfer the beans to a mini food processor which also had a tough time blending the beans. I ended up adding almost 1/2 cup of water to the mixture to get it going but it still took too long! The water didn’t affect the end result. Mashed potatoes were smooth and tasty. :D

ivy October 8, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Do you think these mashed potatoes would work well in your Shepherd’s pie recipe? I wonder if baking them will dry them out? I love the idea of adding protein into the potatoes.

Solange October 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I guess if you were in a blazing hurry and had leftover hummus in the fridge this would be the best way to use it up! :-D

Heidi November 24, 2015 at 10:03 am

These look delicious and I am making them for Thanksgiving – is it possible to make them in advance without compromising the flavor? If so, how would I reheat them? Is a crock pot an option? Love your book – my husband is not vegan but eats what I make. He likes everything from your book that I have made so far – I have made the majority of the recipes!

Lindsey November 26, 2015 at 9:06 am

Hi Angela! First of all, I LOVE this recipe; I’ve made it for the past 3 Thanksgivings, and it’s always a huge hit! Tonight I’m splitting my time between two Thanksgivings and was going to try to make this in the afternoon to save time. How would you suggest reheating this if it’s made in advance? (Note: I have no access to a crockpot, just lots of large pots). Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Chris December 25, 2015 at 11:47 am

Is this correct?
1/4 cup soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread
2 tbsp unsweet. almond milk

I feel like the quantity might need to be swapped.

Olivia November 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

I despise washing dishes, especially my food processor so I thought I would try using my immersion blender for the beans. Worked fantastic!!! I knew it woudln’t do the garlic so I just added a few cloves to my potatoes instead, and it mashed up wonderfully, it turned out great. This recipe has been a staple for a while, glad I could make it easier and quicker. Thanks for this and all your other great recipes. Now if you could just create a protein packed gravy… ?