Easy Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chick Peas

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 3, 2010

Hello friends!

My revived Salt & Vinegar obsession lives on! I am so excited to tell you about this next recipe tonight. Unfortunately, it is not a clue for my overseas trip in September (didn’t have time to make it), but it is a great recipe regardless.

IMG_5225

Easy Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas

Adapted from Homemade Salt & vinegar Chips and Green Beans.

Ingredients:

• 1.5-2 cups cooked chickpeas (one 15-oz can), drained and rinsed*
  • 2.5-4 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.

2. Add chickpeas into pot and cover with vinegar. Add a dash of sea salt. Open a window and turn on range hood fan to air out the soon-to-be potent vinegar smell. <– you were warned!

3. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Let sit in pot for 15-20 minutes, uncovered.

4. Preheat oven to 400F. Carefully drain chickpeas in a strainer and discard vinegar. Place chickpeas on lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Massage with fingers until fully coated.

5. Roast for 25-35 minutes, stirring once half way through. Keep a careful eye on them after 20 minutes of cooking to ensure they don’t burn. Enjoy as a high protein snack or as a side to a lunch or dinner. Cool on pan for 5 minutes. They will crisp up as they cool.

*Note: I assume you could also use dry chickpeas and cook them in vinegar from scratch. Also note: When I brought the cooked chickpeas to a boil, some of the peas split open and some of the skins came off. Not to worry if this happens-it will turn out regardless!

IMG_5226

I loved these! The salt & vinegar taste was amazing and really came through.

\IMG_5227

Crunchy, crispy. Divine.

High in protein to boot!

IMG_5230

In the OSG recipe vault!

I had the S & V chickpeas along with some BBQ’d veggies…

IMG_5066

So much green! Eric used his olive oil + S & P + wrap in tin foil BBQ trick again.

IMG_5059

Food baby ensued. ;)

Operation Beautiful Book Release

IMG_5243

Caitlin’s long-awaited Operation Beautiful book is officially released today in stores! Caitlin will also be on The Today Show this Thursday at 8:30am. Be sure to tune in if you can.

ob_2_small2This Friday, I will be the last stop on Caitlin’s Virtual Book Tour.

I will be talking about a body-image topic that is very near and dear to my heart: Happy Weights. How do we come to terms with where our bodies are happiest? How do we know when we are there? How do we learn to love our body the way it was meant to be? How do we stop fighting against our Happy Weight? I have LOTS to say about this topic!

I will be talking about all of these questions on Friday, so stay tuned for a fun discussion and book giveaway!

I have more work to take care of tonight. I’m hoping to end the evening with our favourite new show- Lie To Me! Eric and I are HOOKED. We are only 3 episodes from being caught up to this current season. It is basically my ideal show- psychology research + gripping plots + great cast. We can’t get enough! It gets better with each episode.

Oh, I just realized I forgot to give you a clue for where I am going in September…

Au revoir, chick P!

Page 3 of 3«123
Jenny January 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hello!
I have gabonzo beans in the pot as we speak!! I will let ya know how they turn out. Thanks again for recipe. As long as it works I will blog about it! :)

Emma Pliska January 6, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I tried to make these and they came out WAAYYY too vinegar-y. I boiled them and let them sit in pure distilled white vinegar for 30 minutes, was I supposed to dilute it?

By the way, I just stumbled upon your blog and I LOVE it!

Robyn January 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

I really liked this recipe–it’s fantastic for satisfying salt cravings. The texture was much better when the chickpeas are straight out of the oven. Mine lost a lot of their crispiness once they were stored in a Tupperware container. Would love to work out a way to keep them crispy. Anyone tried re-heating them?

Kate March 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

It looks good, but be forewarned it makes your kitchen really smell strongly of vinegar, or as my son said “Terrible!!”

ScottishMrs April 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi there, I tried this salt and vinegar chickpea recipe because it sounds delish but mine didn’t cook through properly. Maybe you could help me figure out where I went wrong. I boiled 1 can of chickpeas in 3.5 cups of white vinegar with a dash of salt, let it sit for 30 minutes after removing from heat, tossed them on a pan, sprayed them with olive oil, sprinkled salt on them, and popped them in the oven at 425 degrees. I turned them twice but by the time they were in there for 30 minutes all of the outer ones were burnt to a crisp and they all have mushy/grainy centers :(.

EveryDayGirl April 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Wow, great recipe! I featured it on my blog today. Thanks for sharing!!

Grace May 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I made these today and they’re amazing !

Kimberly May 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love! love ! the strong flavor of the SS&V Kettle chips. After the 30 min soak they smelled like peas I strongly dislike peas!!! I soaked them another 30 min… and added a bunch more salt. Still they smelled funkie… over all I soaked them 3 hours this worked! I roasted them a tad longer for more crunch…. We loved them… nice flavor. I used caned peas, I may try this with dry beans next time.

Diane Lord June 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Do you keep these in the fridge? Also do you have a recipe for vinegar and sea salt almonds?

Penny June 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

I love salt and vinegar chips, so I wanted to love these, but to me, they just tasted like chickpeas with a lot of vinegar on them :(
Thank you for the recipe!

janet @ the taste space July 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for sharing, Angela. It is fun to dig into your archives… finally made these and they were good. :)

I posted mine here:

kristen August 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Made this today. Checked them after 20 minutes and they were pitch black.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

Im so sorry to hear that Kristen! I’ve edited the recipe to reduce the temp and cook time. I just made these in a different oven (since I moved) and the cook time was much less. I’ve changed it to 400F and cook time of around 30 minutes or so. I hope your next batch goes better if you try them again!

ann September 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm

just wanted to say how addictive and amazing these are !!!! i followed the recipe and it worked out perfectly for me!

thank you so much for another wonderful recipe angela. every time i make one of your recipes everyone begs me for it. this is going to spice up my lunch salads for the week (if i can manage to not eat all of them tonight). :)

Lily September 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hi! My chickpeas did not turn out crispy :-/ They have a hard outer layer and a mushy inside.
I left them in for 50 minutes and turned it up to 425 for the last 10 minutes. They’re very golden brown, just not crispy.

Any ideas of what I did wrong?

PillyVeg November 20, 2013 at 2:53 am

This recipe looks delicious! I just have a quick (dumb) question – do you need to drain the chickpeas before you combine them with the vinegar and bring them to the boil? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Yes you do drain them before -enjoy!

Tina Bairstow December 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Going to try the chickpea recipie. How should they be stored and how long will they last?

Lisa March 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Just made these since I had some leftover chickpeas I made the other day and I was reading the reviews for your book on Amazon where a few people mentioned them! I did not think I wold like them so much- but yum!!! Easy and delicious. Thanks! Your book looks beautiful and if I am not lucky enough to win it I will be ordering it for sure.

Venu Sanz Chef March 7, 2014 at 7:38 am

Hi Angela!
do you really boil chickpeas in almost 1 litre of vinegar???? Sounds like a lot to me!!!! is it right???

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2014 at 9:03 am

yes thats correct!

Bre May 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

So….what happens if they don’t get crispy? Any suggestions as to how to use them?

Jeannemarie June 25, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi, love the recipe. FYI though, you would not want to use dried chickpeas and cook them in vinegar as the vinegar would prevent them from softening. You always want to soften/soak/thoroughly cook dried beans before adding an acid component (vinegar, tomatoes, BBQ sauce, lemon…) as the acid would prevent them from softening so you would end up with “woody” beans. If you choose to use dried beans, cook them first and after that, add the acid. Otherwise, looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

great tip, thanks!

Clare July 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

Anyone comment on if these store well or not? And how best to store them? I would love to bring a batch up to the cottage…

Melanie July 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm

These salt and vinegar chickpeas are divine.

This site makes me so happy, I can’t wait to try everything!
My next adventure will be your banana peanutbutter muffins. I don’t have oat flour though, would you think all purpose would suffice or is it oatmeal or no deal?

Paige September 2, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Oh my goodness! I’ve always wanted to make the recipes you post, but this is my first one! They were super easy ingredients and super quick to whip up and they are to die for!!:) Can’t wait to make something new!

Sarah Beam January 19, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Sooooooo good. I made these for snack this afternoon, and my kids and I absolutely loved them.

Stephany May 28, 2016 at 7:46 am

Hello Angela, do you think it would be fine using apple cider vinegar instead of the white?

Angela Liddon May 31, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Hi Stephany, I haven’t tried it myself, but other readers have and they reported back that the results with ACV were delicious! So I bet it would be a lovely twist. :) If you give it a shot, please let me know if you like it!

Mary December 9, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I love your recipes but this one – salt/vinegar chickpeas did not result in what you described in terms of texture. My peas have not dried out. This is the second time I’ve made them….love the taste but I expected them to be crunchy. Got any ideas? I put them back in the oven for another 30 minutes.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Hey Mary, I’m sorry to hear yours didn’t get crunchy! I haven’t experienced that issue before. My first thought was to suggest baking them longer, but it sounds like you did try that. I also find they only stay crispy for a short amount of time (for example if you transfer them to a container they will soften). Maybe try increasing the oven temperature a bit too. I hope you have better success next time!

Mary April 7, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I think someone suggested that she dried her chickpeas off before baking them. Maybe if you air dry them for awhile they will crunch up better than my experience. Must try that one! As for losing crunch… I’m thinking there must be residual moisture in the peas after they’ve baked … which is why they don’t stay crunchy. What do you think?

Bob March 28, 2017 at 8:10 am

This sounds wonderful but I have a question actually….what is the serving size? Also, in regards to Mary’s response above…are these supposed to be crunchy? If so, is there something additional that we should do? Thanks.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hi Bob, In answer to your first question, the recipe contains around 3 servings. As to the crunchiness: yes, they should be crispy, though I find they only stay crispy for a short amount of time (once you transfer them to a container for storage, they will soften, for e.g.). I personally haven’t encountered trouble achieving “crispiness” before, but if you find you do have that issue, I’d suggest baking them longer or perhaps increasing the oven temp a bit too. If you give the recipe a try, I hope you have success with it and that you enjoy the results!

Beryl Krinsky March 28, 2017 at 8:32 am

Hi! Do the chickpeas stay crispy in storage, if you want to save them for a few days? How long would they stay crispy and fresh in air-tight storage. Thank you.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Hey Beryl, I find these only stay crispy for a short amount of time, and once they’re transferred to a container for storage, they tend to soften after a bit. I recommend letting them cool completely and then storing them in an airtight container in the freezer, for up to 5-7 days. Then, to reheat and crisp them back up, simply toss the frozen chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast them at 400F for 5-10 minutes.

Karen March 28, 2017 at 10:26 am

I love the concept of this recipe but I’m wondering about substituting at least part of the white vinegar for apple cider vinegar? Not sure I would boil chickpeas if they are canned…maybe just soak as directed and I think possibly air drying before baking could help to ensure they come out dry and crispy. Please let me know your thoughts on the vinegar substitute! Thanks for so many wonderful recipes!!

Angela Liddon April 6, 2017 at 11:49 am

Hey Karen, I haven’t tried the recipe with ACV myself, but a couple readers have, I think, and they’ve reported back great results. So I suspect you’d find it a delicious twist! :) If you decide to experiment, I’d love to hear how you like it.