Crazy Cravings

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 29, 2010

IMG_5663

Oh, romaine, one of my favourite veggies. So versatile. The little black dress of vegetables, no doubt.

Was it ever beautiful outside today. I only wished I could have gone outside to enjoy it. I did make lots of progress with my orders today so I am feeling happy about that. I hope to be caught up by the weekend with a couple hours to spare for desk work. I need to get working on the Farmer’s Market stuff too! Time is flying this Spring.

I find the warmer weather makes me crave salads in a crazy way. Big salads.

IMG_5685

Crazy, not-sure-I-can-fit-this-in-my-stomach-but-who-cares big salads.

IMG_5666

My newest thing is crushing some Mary’s Crackers over my salads. The crackers absorb a tiny bit of the salad dressing, soften up, and taste quite lovely in the mix!

IMG_5664

My 3 Minute Vegan Parmesan Cheese (this lasts forever!):

IMG_5668 IMG_5669

IMG_5676

Deliriously Crazy.

IMG_5684

Spring Has Sprung Salad

Ingredients:

I will eat my big salads in nothing but a HUGE bowl. :mrgreen:

IMG_5671

To keep the light and refreshing theme going, a juicy grapefruit to finish off:

IMG_5694

Tonight’s question: Does your diet change at all when the temperature rises? What foods do you eat most of and does the heat affect your hunger levels?

~~~

Updates:

• I’m glad you are enjoying the new 1,000 Words series. I like to think of it as a mid-day mental vacation. :) Hopefully you will enjoy the photography and the posts will soothe your senses during those hectic days.
  • Regarding the site being slow as molasses: Eric and I are planning a huge blog host move this weekend. OSG has outgrown my current host and the site has been painfully slow as you have probably noticed. I hope you will understand if there are a few hiccups in the process! ;) I’m hoping for a smooth transition this weekend, although Eric is doubtful, lol.

Eric and I are going to grab a quick bite to eat for dinner and get out on our bikes while the sun is still up. I’m not feeling highly motivated to bike tonight after baking all day, but I know once I get out there my mood will perk right up. Plus, I get to test out my new helmet (which fits like a GLOVE by the way!). Yay for helmet fittings. :)

Have a great evening!

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.  ~John Lubbock

Page 2 of 2«12
Jess @ MTL Veggie April 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Romaine: “The little black dress of vegetables, no doubt.” So true!
With warm weather I start enjoying citrus flavors again like lemony dressings/seasonings as well as fruits like grapefruits and oranges. Plus I find it easier to drink more water, which is a huge plus :)

Sarah for Real April 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I loved the 1000 Words! It’s so nice of you to think of us :)

Oh yes I crave bbq when the weather changes! Grilled vegetables and a nice cheesy burger!

I’m usually less hungry in the summer too, but I think that’s just because I get so busy.

Allison April 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I have a coaster with that John Lubbock quote on it! I think I found it at a winery a few years back and couldn’t *not* pick it up…love it!

Therese April 29, 2010 at 8:56 pm

My diet definitely changes with the seasons! Hearty, hot, comfort foods in the winter and light, crisp fare in the summer! Yeah!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 29, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I also crave produce in the summer! I’m thinking [subconsciously] it’s because you need more water & that’s what fruits & veggies offer? lol that’s just my hypothesis :D

Jil April 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

My diet definitely changes – cold cereals and sandwiches…and the whole thinking twice about if using the oven is really worth heating up my apartment. haha

Lizz @ leading the good life April 29, 2010 at 9:34 pm

As soon as it gets warm, I crave iced tea like crazy!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I made the parmasan today, from memory and made it with sunflower seeds instead of sesame seeds… no wonder it wasn’t as good as you said!! hehe :)

Amber K April 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm

With summer brings my HUGE cravings for ice cream. To give in or not? That becomes the question pretty much daily!

Wei-Wei April 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Mmm, huge salads! I definitely crave fruit in the summer. Juicy, cold fruit… Mmm! (actually I kind of crave that all the time, but mostly in the summer! :D)

And hurray for the move! Good luck, and remember to back up all your data ;)

Wei-Wei

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin April 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm

My tastes totally change with the season! I’m craving salads like crazy lately, as well as juicy fruit! Also, I’ve wanted ice-cold, fresh-squeezed lemonade all week!

Good luck with the blog move!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 29, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Good luck with the blog transfer! Mine was a pain in the a**. What host do you use now and who are you switching too?

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 29, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I crave lighter, colder and more raw foods as the weather gets warmer. I was on a wonderful smoothie and salad kick, but then our weather decided that it was sick of the sun :(

I love, love, love that quote :)

Lisa April 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I crave barbecued anything (well, veggie). BBQ veggie burgers, veggie dogs, red and yellow peppers, corn. I also crave tortilla chips, mangoes, and salsa.

Katie April 29, 2010 at 11:22 pm

mmm… romaine = lettuce wraps!

And yes! My appetite changes with the seasons – for the better in the summer, worse in winter. Summer I crave cool, refreshing, HEALTHY things – specifically fruits, veggies, and smoothies!! … and ice cream :)
Winter, I crave comfort foods! (I live in Iowa, so we get crazy cold,snowy,unpredictable weather). I have to be creative to make sure I get my fruits and veggies in a WARM way (baked apples, roasted veg, sneak spinach into casseroles etc).

Mama Pea April 30, 2010 at 12:20 am

You know I crave me some Hugh Jass daily!!!

bitt April 30, 2010 at 12:43 am

I am a much bigger fan of red leaf than romaine. Romaine is too crunchy or something.

My diet does change with the weather. I like warm tea and soup when I am really cold and popsicles when I am really hot. But most of the time i just like raw foods–lots of salads and smoothies. I dislike when it’s TOO cold because smoothies are not as appetizing.

Marina April 30, 2010 at 12:57 am

I have been craving salads like crazy lately! Finally the warmer weather came, and with it, fresh veggies and fruits, and I want to take full advantage of that :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 30, 2010 at 1:11 am

When it gets hot out, I always crave fruit! And more foods that are rich in water content.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 30, 2010 at 1:13 am

I love romaine too and your salad looks awesome :) I eat salad all year round, but when summer comes I get more creatve with them :)

jenn April 30, 2010 at 1:29 am

My appetite changes with the seasons as well. In the winters in chili and soups. In the summer it’s salads and fruits.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 30, 2010 at 2:09 am

salads and fruit for summer. well fruit is year round, but i most notice the “seasons” at breakfast. I love some steaming hot oatmeal and tea when its cold but in the summer… too hot :(

Christy April 30, 2010 at 5:39 am

Don’t you just love how pretty fruits & veggies can be?!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

I love romaine lettuce! I need to work on getting big salads to fill me more- I totally crave more fresh fruits & veggies in the spring and summer!!

xo
K

Lauren April 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

Yep, my body wants different things when it gets warmer! Definitely lots of raw vegetables- especially light, water filled ones like cucumber and celery. I also light something lighter for breakfast- like a protein shake and fruit. I tend to not want oats as much in the summer. Your salad looks so colourful! :)

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 30, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love salads! If I could I’d eat salads for lunch and dinner everyday! I definitely feel a change in my eating habits when the weather changes. I like to eat cool things in the summer, especially living in Texas. It was 86 degrees yesterday, hot and humid enough for cool fruits and cool salads. I don’t like to eat soup or stews as much in the warmer months either. I’m so grateful for the VOO, because eating warm oatmeal doesn’t cut it when it’s 105 outside.

Erin April 30, 2010 at 11:17 am

Oh, yes, my appetite definitely changes in warmer weather. I crave fresh foods, lots of fruits and veggies, I don’t eat as much oatmeal or baked goods, and I drink less coffee and tea (I’m going to brew up some iced tea today so my tea intake doesn’t suffer!). So summer definitely = healthier for me!

Mo April 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I could live on salad and that one looks delicious! I also have been putting crushed Mary’s crackers on mine. They are good to the last drop…..er, crumb!

Sadly it never gets THAT warm or cold here, so my food cravings don’t change drastically. I always want salad though….it’s an obsession.

Susan May 1, 2010 at 11:31 am

When the weather gets warm I don’t want anything that has to do with the stove or oven! The past few summers I’ve lived on the top floor of a brick building and it’s been unbearable. I’m all about using the microwave or keeping my meals cold :) I crave simpler foods with fewer ingredients too.

I’m cutting waaaaay back on my dairy consumption – thanks for reminding me of the parmesan cheese! I’ll definitely be trying that ;)