The Green Monster Movement is now updated featuring our first ever submission by a MAN, a green monster milkshake, a pre-half marathon recipe, and much more. Green Monster lovers UNITE! :D Please note I am still about 1 month behind on submissions- your patience is appreciated!
Here is a tip for those of you who hate to cook-
Have a glass of wine while you cook and the experience suddenly seems enjoyable, if not, down right thrilling! ;)
Have two and you will have the confidence of Gordon Ramsay.
I used to hate cooking until I discovered this little trick…
I love Wolf Blass Chardonnay. The Aussies make great wine, don’t they? I drank a wee bit too much of this while I was waiting for Eric to get home from work Saturday night…
This is perhaps one of the most simple, yet extremely fabulous, soups I have ever made. When I looked at the short ingredient list I thought, This is my kind of soup.
Simple, easy, quick, healthy. I don’t like fussy cooking. No patience.
Red Lentil Soup…With A Twist!
- 2 T coconut oil (use Olive Oil if you are omitting the coconut curry sauce)
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 t sun-dried tomato + pepper flakes (I use PC brand, no salt added)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 heaping cup of uncooked lentils (I used PC red organic lentils)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 t sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley flakes
- 1 cup Coconut Curry Sauce (optional, but boy did it ever make this soup come alive!)
- Splash or two of Wolf Blass Chardonnay (optional…but come on, is it really) ;)
Note: T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon
Directions: Add oil (either Olive or coconut oil- your choice) and chopped onions into a pot on medium heat. Cook until they caramelize nicely (see below). Next, stir in the broth, bringing to a boil. Add in the lentils and rice and simmer for about 30-40 minutes until tender. If you used a salty broth you will likely not need to use the extra salt, however I used the no-salt added bouillon cubes so I added about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to make the soup really ‘pop’. Serve with crushed pepper, parsley flakes, coconut flakes, and slivered almonds if you dare…You can even drizzle it with olive oil.
Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
One of my favourite veggies to eat- caramelized sweet onions! So delicious!!
It made quite a big pot, but next time I would probably double (or triple) the recipe (and freeze leftovers) because I loved it so much!
Definitely in my top 3, if not my favourite, out of the soups I have made.
Rocking the wedding cutlery! ;) Life is too short not to!
Our table pre Halloween decorations…
Mmmmm. Fall soups are the best!!!! Warmed my heart, mind, body, and soul.
Dessert was a Pumpkin Chia Spelt Scuffin (on-a-stick!) ;) My stash is depleting quickly…
Such a happy lil guy, isn’t he!?
Would you like a chance at winning your very own Garmin Forerunner watch or a Trader Joe’s Gift Pack!?
Click ‘continue reading’ for the details!!!!
An Awesome Raffle and the Chance to Support a Great Cause!
Hello fellow Oh She Glows readers! My name is Stacey and this December I will be running the St. Jude Memphis Marathon as a St. Jude Hero to raise money for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. My goal is to raise $2500.00 for St. Jude and Angela has graciously agreed to help me by hosting a fundraiser on Oh She Glows with me.
A few facts about St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital:
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital was founded in 1962 by the late entertainer Danny Thomas. Its mission is to find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases through research and treatment.
- St. Jude has treated children from all 50 states and from around the world.
- The daily operating cost for St. Jude is nearly $1.4 million, which is primarily covered by public contributions.
- St. Jude pioneered a combination of chemotherapy, radiation and surgery to treat childhood cancers.
- St. Jude is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance. No child is ever denied treatment because of the family’s inability to pay.
- St. Jude has developed protocols that have helped push overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent when the hospital opened in 1962 to more than 70 percent.
Before I get into the raffle details, I thought that I would tell you a little bit about myself. I am 32 years old and I started running about 8 years ago. My first distance run was a full marathon with Team In Training. It was a great experience and I fell in love with running. Unfortunately, a few years later, I fell off the running wagon as life got super busy and I let physical fitness fall to the bottom of my priority list. When I turned 30, I was finally getting back into the swing of things so I set a goal of running a half marathon in all 50 states. (Side note: I am running a full marathon for St. Jude, but I will include it as my half marathon for
Now, back to the raffle and the opportunity to support St. Jude!
Here’s how the raffle will work…
By clicking this link below and making a donation on my behalf, you will be entered in to the prize drawing based on the amount you donate.
Your $5 donation will enter you in to the drawing for the Trader Joe’s Goodie Bag!
Your $10 donation will enter you in to the drawing for the Garmin 305 Forerunner!
Your $15 donation will enter you in to the drawing for both prizes!!!
The Trader Joe’s Goodie Bag ($50 value) contains the following items:
· A Reusable Trader Joe’s Shopping Bag
· Sea Salt Pita Crackers
· Sesame Seaweed Rice Balls
· Trek Mix Snack Packs
· Sweet and Spicy Pecans
· Dried Flat Bananas
· Creamy, Salted Almond Butter
· Almond Windmill Cookies
· A PB&J Chocolate Bar
· Dark Chocolate Crisps
· 4 Fruit Bars
· Tricolor Egg Pasta Ribbons
· Eggplant and Garlic Spread
· Peanut Butter filled Pretzels
· Mini Peanut Butter Cups
· Dark Chocolate Edamame
· Green Bean Snacks
The Garmin 305 Forerunner ($199.99 value) is an amazing GPS watch that you can use for running, walking and cycling. My training runs have become so much more fun since I got one of my own! (This picture is of my watch. I will be sending the winner a brand new, unused Garmin J)
HOW TO ENTER
To enter this amazing raffle and support St. Jude, click this link to be directed to my donations page.
Click the Donate Now button and enter your donation amount and personal information. (This is for tax purposes- St. Jude will send you an official acknowledgement of your donation for your records.)
In the personal message portion of the donation screen please enter OSG. This will prompt an e-mail to be sent to my personal address. I will use this e-mail as your entry in the raffle- so please don’t forget this step!
OTHER RAFFLE DETAILS
· The raffle will begin on Monday, October 26, 2009.
· Entries will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Wednesday, October 28, 2009.
· The winner for both prizes will be determined by the Random Integer Generator on www.random.org.
· The winners will be announced by Thursday on Oh She Glows.
· I will mail the prizes within 2 days of receiving the winner’s addresses.
· Both prizes are available for shipment to the U.S and Canada.
· I look forward to raising money for St. Jude and want to thank everyone in advance for their help in supporting such a great cause- especially Angela!