Vegan Recipe and Snack Ideas for Camp and Travel

by Terra Arnone on May 15, 2018

An OSG reader, Rebecca, asked me if I could recommend some cooler-friendly Oh She Glows recipes she could take on the road for an upcoming camping trip. This question has been a popular one over the years, so I thought the long weekend would be a great excuse to brainstorm a list of camp- and travel-friendly foods to inspire you!

In my early twenties, I would “camp” (I use that term lightly!) pretty regularly, but the food my friends and I packed in those days was a little different from what I stock my cooler with today. Okay, A LOT different! Lol. Back then, as long as I had potato chips and fruity coolers, I was a “happy camper”! Oh to be 21 again. Don’t worry, though, I’ve accumulated a few years of wisdom since then. I consulted OSG’s recipe tester Nicole to help put this post together as she often travels with my recipes in tow. I think the two of us have come up with some fun ideas for you! As always, please feel free to chime in with your tips and tricks too.

The recipes below can all be made in advance, and many of them also tend to keep well in minimal storage without too much fuss. At the bottom of this post I also recommend some tasty store-bought options for when you don’t have time to make everything you might have hoped to for a trip…because if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably find yourself scrambling at the last minute to get everything ready!

Milks and Fresh Breakfast Options

I love making pre-portioned single servings of dry Vegan Overnight Oats packets to take with us on trips. Simply bring a few single-serve, shelf-stable plant-based milks along and mix them in with the oat packets when ready to enjoy.

Looking for eco-friendly reusable bags? Check out these reusable velcro pouches shown in the photo above.

Granola or Muesli

We love munching on my Ultimate Nutty Granola Clusters (The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 31) and my Roasted Hazelnut-Almond Granola Clusters (Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 71) when traveling, plus these clusters should keep fresh in an airtight bag or container for a few weeks.

Fruit and Veggies

Bring your favourite fruits and veggies, choosing varieties that tend to travel well and don’t mind sitting at room temperature—this should help save cooler space for other meals that require refrigeration. Apples, oranges, firm avocados, and cucumbers are usually safe bets. Avoid thin-skinned fruit like peaches or pears as they tend to bruise easily.

Dried Fruit and DIY Trail Mix

Energy-dense dried fruits are another great option for camping! Dried apricots, mangoes, and cherries are some of my favourites. You can also make a DIY trail mix by adding dried fruit like raisins and dried cranberries to a container with your favourite mixed nuts.

Crackers

I love having a good seedy cracker on hand for snacking. My Endurance Crackers are hearty, filling, and energizing! Just be sure they’re packed on top of other foods so they don’t get crushed by anything in transit. Bring a container of nut or seed butter and a small pouch of hemp hearts for a satisfying, protein-packed snack that needs no refrigeration.

Protein Bars or Energy Bites

My Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites, Cookie Dough Balls V (Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 93), and Triple Almond Energy Balls are perfect to munch on between meals. For another option, try my Classic Glo Bars (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 215), or Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars—those two tend to be big hits as well. Nicole recommends the Mocha Empower Glo Bars (Oh She Glows Everyday, p. 69), saying: “Away from home for 10 days with a toddler? You may need that invigorating combination of chocolate and espresso!” Haha.

Coffee/Tea

Speaking of coffee and tea…I’d love to hear your tips on camping while still getting your coffee fix. Please share your method if you have one! Maybe a make-ahead DIY Coffee Concentrate could work?

Power Toast and Wraps

The 9-Spice Avocado Hummus Toast (Oh She Glows Everyday, p. 39) is a great light meal option! Serve it with Super Power Chia Bread (The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 229). Pack a few avocados, a small container of 9-spice Mix, and hummus (keep chilled) for a quick meal. Ifyou don’t have time to make the power bread, just pack a few of your favourite wraps from home. I love Wrap It Up Raw’s flax wraps—they freeze wonderfully too.

Soups and Fresh Mains

If you have a really good cooler situation going, you could also consider making a salad/soup—my Chickpea Salad and Go-To Gazpacho (also found in Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 147 and the app) both travel well. The gazpacho can be guzzled cold straight from a mason jar—super refreshing! If you’re able to bring a bag of salad along, you could whip up a jar of my Shake and Go Balsamic Vinaigrette (Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 273) as well. Tetra packs of baked beans always work in a pinch (and you don’t need a can opener or a cooler!). I love these Vegetarian Baked Beans by Pacific brand.

Another idea is to pack the ingredients for a super easy balsamic chickpea salad. Bring some small tetra packs of chickpeas (I buy Pacific brand), balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar you love), olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bring along a collapsible strainer and a bowl, and you’ve got the gear for a quick salad: simply drain and rinse the chickpeas then add them to the bowl along with the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper (to taste).

Sweet Treats

My Flourless Thumbprint Breakfast Cookies, Blissful Basil Power Biscotti, and Banana Bread Muffin Tops can all be made ahead and frozen. Our editor, Terra, packed the Banana Bread Muffin Tops for mountaintop snacking on her month-long hiking trip through Switzerland. Terra added a touch of rosemary oil (which she uses as a natural preservative) to the batter, and the tops kept beautifully during her trek!

I recommend eating the most perishable items first, if possible. This may also be a situation in which it’s worth stocking up on some store-bought, less perishable options because not all foods will last in a cooler for too long. (Unless of course it’s going to be COLD where you’re camping—in that case, maybe a little DIY Hot Toddy is in order! Yassssss!)

Running out of prep time before your trip? Here are some store-bought plant-based foods that should keep well through your travels!

Photo credit, photos 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10: Ashley McLaughlin

mary May 15, 2018 at 7:21 am

These are great ideas for the snacks, especially if you are with children

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2018 at 9:35 am

Thanks Mary :)

Jessica May 15, 2018 at 9:00 am

Can you tell us a bit more about the rosemary oil? Did she infuse cooking oil with rosemary, or did she use essential oil? How much did she use? Thanks for this post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 7:14 am

Hey Jessica, Terra said she estimates that she added about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary essential oil (but she didn’t measure it) to the apple sauce she used in place of virgin coconut oil, then mixed and baked as instructed. :) Hope this helps!

Mer May 15, 2018 at 10:09 am

Great advice! I recently travelled Iceland with my fiance and two friends. We brought a cheap french press with us and bought a bag of coffee grounds. Then we just boiled water and brewed coffee every morning. It definitely made sense to bring since we were staying rurally without the option to buy coffee most mornings, and things are so expensive in Iceland that we probably saved $20/day between us by making our own coffee.

Barb May 15, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I am a backpacker, so quick, easy to carry meals are super important in my world. My solution is my food dehydrator. Any time I have leftover soups, stews or chili, into the dehydrator it goes. I also dehydrate fruits and veggies to snack on. Marinara dehydrates beautifully, and angel hair pasta cooks up quick in the back country. For bread, I carry pita or sandwich thins, as they are sturdy and take up little space. Instant brown rice is also a staple in my camping gear. Mixed with dehydrated veggies and a packet of sweet and sour seasoning it becomes a quick stir fry over the campfire.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 7:02 am

That’s so interesting Barb! Thanks for sharing :)

Jenny May 15, 2018 at 12:56 pm

We love bringing your recipes with us when vacationing or camping! Our family has two Celiacs, so we tend to bring our own food wherever we go. Our favorites from previous camping trips are definitely the Cookie Dough bites from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, and the Crispy Quinoa Cakes from this blog. I also love making your falafel and serving on it’s own, with some lemon-tahini dressing, or adding to mason jar salads with your Goddess Dressing. Another favorite is your Lightened Up Goddess Salad- I actually love this hot or cold, so I don’t mind it hanging out in the cooler for a couple days!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 7:03 am

Thank you Jenny!! That’s so great you’ve packed so many of the recipes! I agree with you on the goddess bowl…I always eat it hot when it’s first made (when the speltberries are warm) and then enjoy leftovers chilled.

phoenix May 15, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I’m not really a morning person and always need my coffee first thing. Some friends have recommended the Aeropress (sustainable with a reusable metal filter; good for travelling because small, easily portable, and made of plastic; many argue that it makes better coffee than my beloved French press). I’m ready to try one out!

Ali May 15, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Such a fun post! I usually just do tea when camping but my boyfriend loves coffee so he always brings his coffee set up. He makes pour-over at home, so we do the same when camping! We grind the beans before we leave home and bring filters and a silicone cone from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Depending on the type of camping we’re doing we either bring a kettle or use our small camping pot. It’s easy and there’s very little sacrifice on flavour :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 7:05 am

That’s so cool MEC has silicone cones! Pretty genius for camping. Do you find it imparts any flavour in the coffee?

Ali May 17, 2018 at 9:40 pm

No, I’ve never found that! I have a silicon ice cube tray that seems to do that to what ever I put in it, but I’ve never noticed that the cone affects coffee.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2018 at 8:11 am

Aww interesting! :) Thanks Ali

Lauren May 15, 2018 at 3:45 pm

I wish you’d post more new recipes like minimalist baker rather than a collection of older recipes. I always look forward to a new recipe from you but lately I have been leaving your blog and app disappointed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 7:45 am

Hi Lauren, Thank you for your feedback! We work so hard on all of our content so this is disheartening to hear, but I totally understand your preference for new recipes. It’s something I’ve been giving a lot of thought to and I appreciate you weighing in, especially as we’ve been trying a lot of new series over the past several months! I will keep this in mind going forward, thanks!

EMILY e PELLETIER May 20, 2018 at 12:12 am

I don’t know how you do what you do with two kids! You’re doing beautifully, I always look forward to reading your posts and appreciate highlights on old recipes because I forget about them all!

Coffee! We bring a Bialetti to make americanos when we are camping. If we had a stainless steel french press i’d be open to bringing that, but my track record with breaking french presses is an indicator that it should stay home ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2018 at 6:44 am

Thank you Emily…what a sweet thing to say!

Glad to see another Bialetti fan. I need to check one out. :)

BeingIsabella May 15, 2018 at 4:25 pm

This is an excellent list of snack and recipe recommendations. A lot of people are worried to become vegan because they think there won’t be anything to eat while on the road and away. While this fact is becoming increasingly untrue with the amount of vegan options available nowadays, you could always make it easier for yourself and pack some in advance. I’m gong to share this with all of my friends :)

www.beingisabella.com

Anne-Marie May 15, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for the tips! For the coffee, we bring ground coffee in a container and we use a Bialleti, on a grill over a fire or on a bbq, we always have a good and strong coffee to start our days!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:54 am

That sounds fantastic :) I love that everyone has their own method…no one should have to go without! haha

Amanda May 16, 2018 at 9:25 am

For coffee I travel with my French press! I just boil the water on the camp stove. It’s worth it to be able to enjoy the sounds of the campground waking up woth a nice cup of coffee. Mmm

I also have made burritos (leaving off the avocado) and successfully warmed them on a skillet on the camp stove too. We usually get a box of vegan pancake mix that just needs water and have that for breakfast one morning. Overnight oats are a popular item too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:53 am

Love these ideas Amanda, thanks for sharing! Never would’ve thought to bring a pancake mix..genius.

Meg May 16, 2018 at 11:39 am

Great post!

Last year I made your veggie burgers ahead of time, then wrapped and froze them for our yurt camping trip. We ate them on the 2nd night by which time they had thawed, we reheated them quickly in a frying pan over a propane burner and were good to go.

For coffee, we pre-grind coffee beans, boil water on site, and use a Java press like this one.
I’ve also made cold brew, added a ton of ice, and packed it in an insulated growler when space wasn’t an issue. It stays ice cold all weekend!

I like the idea of a concentrate, though I like my coffee strong, so I don’t want to dilute much. On cold mornings, I’d probably quickly reheat it in a pot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:49 am

Oh yes I was wondering about the cold press option too. I hear you though I like coffee hot in the morning, even in the summer. Can’t wait to check out the Java! I’m so glad the veg burgers worked for you for your camping trip too.

Margaret May 16, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Here’s a coffee trick quite popular in some parts of Europe as an everyday method. Pre grind coffee beans into a container. Put your desired amount into your mug at camping and fill with hot water. Let it sit so the grinds settle to the bottom, a few minutes. Then add milk or sugar if needed, stir then let it settle again. You’ll have to be careful once you reach home the bottom of the mug but we love using this idea, it’s minimal and so easy. I suppose you could take a small strainer if you prefer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:46 am

Wow, so easy!! I so need to try this. Thanks Margaret!

Caroline May 16, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Hi Angela, loving all the colorfull pictures in your updates .

I am writing and wondering , what the possibility would be to get your special recipes for holiday weekends, or holidays in general maybe a few weeks before the actual holiday event ; i am always so excited to get your recipes but i find by the time i receive them, my menus and grocery planning has been prepared , even to get them a few weeks sooner would be so awesome :)

thanks Angela

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:45 am

Hey Caroline,
Thank you! And I totally see what you’re saying. Thanks for mentioning it as timing of posts is something I debate about a lot!

Kim May 17, 2018 at 3:54 am

Love your photos. They just make me to try out your recipe immediately. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:43 am

Thanks Kim! Most of these are by my second book’s photographer Ashley McLaughlin (noted at the end of the post). She has such a nice style. :)

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) May 17, 2018 at 9:15 am

I’ve come to face the fact that I always am, and probably will always be, over-caffeinated :)
Being on the run all day, I need something more than a green smoothie to keep me energized (I usually have an all-day sized green smoothie from your app or a double batch of your Green Matcha Mango Ginger Smoothie from Oh She Glows Everyday alongside *gulp* several cups of coffee!).

When we are heading out on the weekend or are vacationing, I have to use my own dishes/bring my own meals/no restaurants due to a medical issue and I loooooove my Bobble coffee press cup. It s a double walled “to go” cup with a french press style insert, both stainless steel and a silicone lid. You spoon coffee grounds into the bottom of the cup, add boiling water, give it a minute (or 10, depending on your momentary caffeine need) then simply press the insert into the cup and it presses the grains and strains them out. Pop on the lid and away you go! Only downside is the lid isn’t “knock over” proof, which is tricky when you have little children :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2018 at 8:56 am

heh I always knew we were kindred spirits ;)
The Bobble coffee press cup sounds so fun! I remember you mentioning this before and I’m off to google it now.

Nicole W. (Oh She Goows Recipe Tester) May 18, 2018 at 9:55 am

I forgot to mention the best part…it keeps your coffee hot for absolute hours! I have to pop an ice cube into it if I want to drink any right away (I always want to drink it right away ha ha!) and the long heat retention is a life saver when chasing down kids or a deadline at work :) I just wish it came in fun colours. It does look sleek and professional, I admit.

Ann-Marie May 17, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Thank you Angela for this great post! My husband and I are going camping with Arnaud , our 7 months old baby next week-end, so it’s relly helpful. We can tell you put a lot of love in this post.
For coffee, we like to bring instang coffee from Starbucks (Starbucks via). It’s so good, it’s impossible to tell it’s instant coffee. While we don’t like this compagny and think it produces a little bit of garbage, it’s a compromise in camping to enjoy such a good hot beverage (especially after a night with a baby…!).
Like Barb (in the comments above) we used to plan our meal with a dehydrator (we were then wild and free!). It’s such a delicious and cheap option. Legumes like chickpeas can dehydrate so weel. We made a version of your “Cream of tomato soup” (Oh she glows cookbook) this way with sun dried tomatoes and lot of dried herbs. For a quick curry, we liked to use dried coconut milk powder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2018 at 8:54 am

Hey Ann-Marie, Thank you for your kind words! And that’s such a good point about instant coffee…when you need easy it doesn’t get much easier than that. :) Wishing you a great trip with baby Arnaud! I hope he sleeps like a log for you (hehe).

Dani May 17, 2018 at 9:03 pm

I signed up for the newsletter but I am not getting it and it is not going to my spam folder either.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2018 at 8:12 am

Hey Dani, Happy to help! We don’t send the newsletters out too often (once every 1-2 months currently), so maybe it hasn’t been sent out yet. That said we do have one coming up in the next week so keep your eyes peeled. :)

Stef May 18, 2018 at 9:57 am

Thank you for these great suggestions! And, I love seeing everyone else’s comments/ideas too…our family goes tent camping several times throughout the summer and although we’ve got a pretty solid system down for set-up, equipment and meals, I’m always looking for new ideas. One thing I can say for sure…every camping trip we’ve taken the last 2 summers has started off with a big cold jar of your gazpacho and chick pea salad (and yes, a cold beer). Since we usually loosen up a bit with snack foods/sweet treats while camping, I like to make sure we at least start the trip off on the right dietary foot – and both the soup and salad travel and keep well. Side note – although we’re from the NYS, our favorite go-to camping spot is in Ontario!!! Thanks Angela, have a great weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I think that’s a great approach! It’s no fun being perfect all the time anyway, lol. That’s so fun that you travel with my gazpacho and chickpea salad. Pop some crackers in there and it’s an easy little meal. Happy camping :)

Alex.li May 19, 2018 at 6:41 am

Vegan food is good for health because there are a lot of health benefit of it. I always make vegan food for my child.Thank you very much for sharing some good recipes and tips. Trying to make Power Toast and Wraps.

Hippie Homeowner May 19, 2018 at 7:58 am

This is perfect! I’m always on the go and have trouble finding good vegan snack recipes! Thank you!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2018 at 6:45 am

Thanks so much…I’m glad it’s helpful!

Meghan May 19, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Coffee! The Aeropress (lightweight and easy to clean) along with the Jetboil stove (it literally boils water in 2 minutes) are your best friends for camping. Pre-grind some beans at home and take the grounds with you. Throw some almond milk Bailey’s in there and you’re good to go!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2018 at 6:45 am

Sounds like you have your system down pat…love it. And almond Baileys while camping sounds like the ultimate luxury. nice!

Ttrockwood May 20, 2018 at 1:41 am

Good coffee is not optional in my life. I pack coffee grounds and the filter that sits ontop of your cup, pour hot water over it periodically.

Massaged kale salad is a great make ahead to bring since it keeps fine in a cooler several days.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2018 at 6:42 am

haha so true :)

And good call on massaged kale! I hadn’t thought of that.

Allison May 23, 2018 at 11:16 am

Last summer for a canoe trip (where I had a cooler), I made several of your recipes that worked great camping. First, I made your 5 Minute Pantry Dal and then also made some quinoa. At camp, I just heated then on my camp stove and they were great. I also made the pumpkin seed taco “meat” from your app. I brought a can of refried beans and some corn tortillas and made tacos. So tasty! When I go backpacking and have to worry about weight and whether things are perishable, I have made your Cinnabon granola. It is great with powdered milk or just plain.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2018 at 9:21 am

Hey Allison, That’s so great! Thanks for sharing :)

Melissa May 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm

I’m not sure why it never occurred to me but packing single serve packets of overnight oats mix is a great idea for breakfasts when travelling! I usually like to have a little something to eat when starting my day and granola bars get a bit old fast. I’ll have to try this next time.

Nutrition Stripped May 25, 2018 at 8:04 am

Such a great round-up! Granola is my go-to snack.