Ask Angela: Our go-to vegan sunscreen, freezing vegan taco “meat,” a reader poll, and more!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 6, 2018

Happy Friday, friends! Before diving in, I want to share some fun news in case you missed our newsletter yesterday…The Oh She Glows Plant-Based Recipe App has been nominated for a WEBBY AWARD! It felt like such a long shot when I applied a few months ago (apparently they had over 13,000 applications come in from around the world!), but then I thought of all the praise and encouragement you’ve given our app and decided to just go for it—no harm trying, right?! I’m still in complete shock over finding out we were nominated, and so proud that we’re the only 100% plant-based app in our category. I gotta say it feels pretty awesome to be reppin’ the veggies. :)

If you enjoy our app, I’d be so grateful if you took a minute to vote for us! I can’t thank you enough for your support and for all of the encouragement that has been coming in this week. :)

Q1. Your Triple Almond Energy Balls are so delicious and healthy that I had to make them twice in the past two days! My only question is how you make the toppings stick to the balls and stay put? I can’t get the coconut to stick as much as I’d like to.

Hey Mary, Oh good question! I find lightly wetting the energy balls helps the shredded coconut, ground nuts, and hemp hearts stick when rolling. I just added this tip to the recipe directions as I realized I forgot to mention it. Enjoy that triple almond goodness! They are a favourite around here.

Q2. With the weather getting warmer, I’m wondering if you can share which vegan sunscreens you would recommend (including one for the kiddos)? #AskAngela

Hey Leslie, Our whole family uses the same vegan sunscreen and we love it! It’s a clear SPF 50 spray by Alba Botanica. I actually wrote about it on My Favourite Skin Care Products page here in case you want to read more. I hope this helps!

Q3. How do you store nuts in your house? In the fridge, or in the pantry using an airtight container? Also, do you use ground flax seed often? I bought a large bag at Costco and I hate the strong flavour it imparts on my baking. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Hey Liz, We usually buy nuts in small quantities from bulk bins as we need them, so I don’t tend to freeze them as I’m not buying large enough amounts to need longer storage. If I was going to, though (say if there was a sale on!), I would freeze a stash in an airtight bag or container. Also, I hear you on ground flax…I find the flavour of some brands’ pre-ground flaxseed off-putting—almost like it’s spoiled or rancid. I use Bob’s Red Mill brand when I don’t have time to grind my own. You can freshly grind flaxseeds in a blender or coffee grinder and then store those in the freezer or fridge. See if you like the flavour better when ground fresh. If that doesn’t help you enjoy them, you may be able to swap ground chia seeds in baking (chia seeds absorb more water, though, so you may need to use less than called for) depending on the recipe.

Q4. I am wondering whether your Ultimate Green Taco Wraps with Lentil-Walnut Taco Meat can be prepared in advance, and frozen. As for leftovers, do you reheat those in the microwave, or on the stove top? Thanks.

Hey Grace, I haven’t tried freezing the taco meat before, but if you try it please let me know how it goes. I can’t see why it wouldn’t freeze just fine! As for reheating, we don’t have a microwave so I would opt to reheat the thawed “meat” on the stovetop along with a splash or two of oil to add some moisture back.

Q5. I’d really like to make your Flourless Bite-Sized Breakfast Muffins, but don’t have a silicone muffin tin. I’ve been wanting to buy one anyways, so is there a brand you’d recommend before I do? So many of the ones I see online don’t get great reviews. Thanks!

Hey Rosie, For sure! Mine are Wilton brand. I like them well enough, though I do find that I need to wash them by hand as they come out with a white residue when I put them in the dishwasher.

Q6. Hi Angela, I have an Ask Angela question about non-stick frying pans. My husband and I are looking for an extra-large workhorse frying pan—something that I can cook a million veggies on high heat in. We both work full-time, and I only have 20 minutes to get dinner on the table with two little kids who want to hug my legs the whole time. I’d like to invest in something that will last for years—we’re willing to spend more for a pan that is going to be used every day. Please give us the gold standard recommendation! (PS: No cast iron please because we can’t keep up with the maintenance. Sad but true.)

Hey Stephanie, I love this question! It’s funny because I’ve been on the hunt for that “gold standard” my whole life it seems. Right now I’m using a 12-inch Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri and a stainless steel wok by Calphalon, but I wouldn’t say that either of them are the workhorse you’re probably looking for. I thought this would be a fun time to ask fellow OSG readers if they have any suggestions for us. So, does anyone out there have any recs to share? Please feel free to chime in on Facebook, Twitter, or the comments below. We’re all ears!

“I’ve tried my fair share of your recipes and love them all, but I must say your new Nutty Crusted Butternut Squash Bowl is a new favourite (currently eating the leftovers)! Something about the flavor and texture almost reminds me of chicken fingers, but better? I don’t know maybe I’m crazy but they’re absolutely delicious! I whipped together a quick sauce to dip them in and I was so pleased with the results that I thought I would share! If you’re a fan of spice, I highly suggest whisking together some tahini, lemon juice, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and warm water. Super simple and the pairing of sweet squash & spicy sauce is to die for! Thanks for sharing. Xx”

Hi Cayley, we were on vacation visiting my parents when I saw your comment, and I couldn’t help reading it out loud! We all think your dipping sauce sounds ah-mazing…and so simple too. I love that you can make the squash on its own, and a dipping sauce to go with it is pure genius!! Thanks for sharing your idea. Enjoy the leftovers!

Psst…to celebrate our 2-year app-iversary, The Oh She Glows Recipe App is on sale for 99 cents until April 11th! You can download our app in the Apple Store or Google Play Store.

Anne April 6, 2018 at 10:01 am

I just voted! :) You are currently in 1st place!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 11:52 am

Awesome news!! Thank you so much, Anne :)

Grace April 6, 2018 at 11:02 am

I received a Lagostina stainless steel frying pan as a wedding gift 8 years ago and that thing has never let me down. I also use a Lodge cast iron frying pan. Between the two of those (which are both used constantly), I’m golden. I’d highly recommend them both.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for the frying pan tips!

Molly April 6, 2018 at 11:04 am

As for the frying pan question, I have found the Scanpan to be a real winner. It can go in a hot hot oven or dishwasher and it stays nonstick. It is not inexpensive but I got mine on special at Sur La Table and it has lasted over a year! I find most non-sticks poop out around the 6 month mark. I do cook ALOT though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Thanks so much for the rec, Molly!

Cayley Humphreys April 6, 2018 at 11:33 am

Okay, I’ll admit it… I did a little happy dance a let out a squeal when I saw that my comment was the comment of the week (it’s the little things right? lol). And I’m so honored that you shared it with the fam! I made the squash AGAIN this past weekend as my contribution for Easter dinner (with the “magic” dipping sauce of course) and it was a huuuge hit. I’m talking like the plate was empty in a matter of minutes, meat-eaters and all! I love getting people excited about plant-based cooking. Just like you said in your newsletter Angela… “go veggies go!! *arm flex*”. Congrats again on the Webby award – you’ve got my vote! Enjoy the weekend. Xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 11:52 am

Hey Cayley, Aww so glad you saw the COTW. :) That’s such awesome news the wedges were such a hit at Easter! I can’t wait to whip up some dipping sauce.

Louise April 6, 2018 at 11:42 am

Hi Angela,
Congrats on the nomination! I will vote for the app later :) – I bought it the moment you released it for Android :D
I have a muffin question – I just bought two mini muffin pans (silikon from wilton because I identified them on you flourless bitsized muffins). Now besides you bite-sized muffins I want to make some mini cupcakes with your fail proof chocolate cake recipe (the one also featured in your first book) but I would love to mix in some vanilla dough. Any suggestions about adjustments for the baking time and temperature if baking the dough in a mini muffin pan? And do you have a go-to fail proof vanilla cake recipe or suggestions how to turn the chocolate recipe into a vanilla mix? (just leaving out the cocoa powder sounds to easy)

Thanks in advance and I am really happy the Friday FAQ aka AskAngela is back in the blog :)

Have a great weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hey Louise, Thanks for the Ask Angela love! I have tried (sooo many times) baking a vegan vanilla cake recipe, but I’m so picky I didn’t end up sharing any of them. They were all a bit too gummy for my taste. So I’m sorry I don’t have one to share with you at the moment. One of my attempts was leaving out the cocoa powder, by the way…didn’t work for me! :) As for baking cupcakes in a mini muffin tin, they would bake faster but I’m not certain on a bake time. I would check them starting around 20 minutes and every 1-2 minutes after that. Hope this helps!

Lesley S April 6, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for all you do Angela, you were the first site that came up on my first search for vegan recipes a handful of years ago and I’ve been following ever since. Just wanted to chime in and say the taco ‘meat’ freezes great. I cook for just me and I put in it single serving packages and freeze – it’s perfect!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Hey Lesley, Aww thank you for the kind words! :) And I’m so glad to hear you’ve tried freezing the taco meat. Such a great idea to freeze individual servings! Perfect for a salad topping.

Kristen April 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm

OMG…do you have a recipe for the Magic Dipping Sauce?!? It sounds soooo good! I would love to make it with your squash! My Birthday is tomorrow so your recipe is a special request! Thank you so much for ALL you do! I also voted! #1 in my book! Congrats! ❤️

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Happy Birthday Kristen!! :) Thank you for the kind words and for voting! I’m sorry I don’t have Cayley’s sauce recipe, but it sounds like you can’t go wrong if you mix the ingredients she mentioned to taste–tahini, lemon juice, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and warm water. I would add some salt as well (unless the hot sauce has it). I wonder how sriracha would taste in place of the frank’s too. Can’t wait to try it. Have a great b-day!

Cayley April 8, 2018 at 9:05 am

Aw Happy Birthday Kristen! For my self proclaimed “magic” dipping sauce, Angela said it exactly right. There are no exact measurements, I just threw all of the ingredients in a bowl, whisked it together and tasted/added as I went – I always find the best recipes come from doing using this far from perfect method lol. And yes! Adding some salt is always a good idea. I will say that I find using a good tahini quality is important too since some of them can be very bitter compared to others. Check Angela’s last “thing I’m loving lately” to see the brand she uses. I hope you enjoy her squash recipe (& sauce) as much as I do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 7:29 am

Thanks for following up, Cayley!

Danielle April 6, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Frying pan recommendation: my husband and I swear by Heritage The Rock (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/heritage-the-rock.html) pans they’re incredibly durable and they go on sale regularly.

Side note: loving the Ask Angela posts!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 7:36 am

Thanks Danielle! :)

Kristen April 6, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Angela, Thank you so you so much! So just so you know how incredible you are here is a snapshot of our staple rotation meals becasue of you! And what we want to try! You make a major positive impact on our health and well being! Again Thank you so very much! And having everything in the App is a dream! You have a talent that is appreciated and valued! ❤️

Breakfasts

Zucchini bread tops
5 minute oatmeal power bowl
Carrot cake oatmeal
Hidden green protein smoothies
Flourless thumbprint breakfast cookies

Lunch

Endurance crackers, hummus, cucumbers, blueberries, strawberries, and pistachios

Dinner

Our perfect veggie burgers and whitewater burger sauce using Sir Kensington vegan mayo
Speedy Teriyaki veggie bowls
Roasted butternut squash with almond pecan parm
Smaskhed potatoes with avocado garlic aioli
Adrianna’s fave 10 minute pasta
African peanut stew
Cauliflower mashed potatoes with gravy and mushrooms

Snacks
Crispy peanut better chocolate chip cookies
Jumbo chocolate chunk cookies
One bowl vegan banana bread with glaze

Dessert
Foolproof chocolate cupcakes

Thanksgiving

Sweet potatoe crumble casserole

If we have a cold

Hot detox tonic
Restoring citrus tonic

On the List to make and try…

Best shredded Kale salad
Blueberry banan muffins
Crowd pleasing vegan Caesar salad
Pumpkin pie smoothie bowl
Brownie breakfast bake
Banofee pie
Nutrient packed guacamole
Ultimate flourless brownies
2 layer raw chocolate brownies
Nutty crusted butternut squash bowl

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 7:51 am

Hey Kristen, Wow, thank you!! I’m so thrilled to hear about everything you’re making. You’re on fire!! haha. And I love that you make the loaded nachos for dinner…we do that too from time to time and it’s always a hit. Thank you for all of your support…it really means the world to me. :)

Kristen April 6, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Forgot to add Loaded Nachos with your delicious cheeze sauce as a fun dinner! LOL! BTW…we make an freeze your veggie burgers as an incredible dinner treat that is easy! We invest the time to make a big batch…wrap them in freezer paper, put them in a labelled freezer bag and then have an awesome and wholesome dinner treat on a busy school night! ❤️

Christine April 7, 2018 at 7:33 am

Walnut Taco Meat- reader question 04.06.18. For my daughter’s high school graduation party we had a vegan taco salad bar. We made the Life Affirming Nacho Cheese sauce from your first cookbook (recipe x4 but minus the chips and in a crockpot to keep warm) and the Walnut Taco Meat (recipe x4). They were both a hit! There were leftovers, I froze them in serving sized containers and I defrostes in the fridge and microwaved. Just a fabulous as the day we originally made it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 7:34 am

Hey Christine, omg your vegan taco salad bar sounds like a dream!! Awesome idea for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Felicia Menten April 7, 2018 at 8:01 am

Hi there – I have frozen the lentil walnut taco meat many times, and it reheats / thaws just perfectly! I freeze the portions in a muffin tin, then pop them out and store them in a freezer bag, so I have all of these lovely individual servings ready to go whenever I want one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2018 at 3:17 pm

That’s such a great idea Felicia, thanks for sharing!

Brenda April 7, 2018 at 11:07 am

Do you have any plans on expanding the Oh She Glows app so all us Kindle Fire users will be able to buy it? I own your 2 cookbooks, receive your newsletter but feel left out of the loop since I can’t get the app!! Love your recipes and you wouldn’t believe how shocked my doctor has been about how quickly my health has turned around for the better! Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2018 at 7:37 am

Hey Brenda, Congrats on all of your health changes…that’s so awesome to hear! And thank you so much for your support…I’m truly grateful. :) We don’t have any current plans for Kindle Fire, but I will be sure to announce if we do in the future!

Julie April 7, 2018 at 11:43 am

Here are some brands for safe cookware. Perhaps you can find your workhorse pan in one of those.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Julie!

Rose April 7, 2018 at 11:47 am

Hey Angela and Grace – I love, love, LOVE your lentil walnut taco meat and let me tell you – it freezes beautifully! When I thaw and reheat, I do, in fact use the microwave. Go for it, Grace!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Nice!! Thanks Rose :)

Hannah April 9, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I’m a little late to the party, but this Zwillig nonstick is my current obsession/go-to pan. It’s safe for high heat (even low-ish heat in the oven), has a lacquer which makes it scratch-resistant, and will nicely brown veggies or tofu. It is also amazing with eggs (if you eat them), easy to clean, and it’s a very reasonable price! But if you want to splurge and really beat up a pan with zero ramifications, All-Clad all the way :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 13, 2018 at 8:09 am

Thanks Hannah!

Kristina April 9, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Almond and walnut farmer here! I just want to chime in and say that for long term storage, it’s best to keep nuts in the freezer. Of course, we stockpile nuts during harvest (it’d be pretty silly to buy them from the store later), and we freeze about 50# each or more in the Fall to eat all year. They will get rancid just sitting on a pantry shelf all year. Keep the nut recipes coming, I need to use these things up before October, lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2018 at 7:53 am

Thanks Kristina!

Brittany April 10, 2018 at 9:40 am

Hey Angela! I bought your app 2 years ago when it first came out (LOVE, by the way) and purchased a couple bundles also. I recently switched from iPhone to Android and it didn’t transfer over. Do you know if there is a way to do this or do I have to repurchase it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2018 at 7:59 am

Hey Brittany, Aww thank you so much for your support! I just talked to Eric and unfortunately because the Apple Store and Google Play Store are totally different, they do not let you transfer purchases across iOS/Android platforms. Sorry about that! I can probably send you a free download code though :)

Clara April 10, 2018 at 10:41 am

Dear Angela,
I absolutely love your cookbooks and I make the recipes constantly.
Last week I made your All Purpose Vegan Cheese Sauce and I love it! But now I can’t get the cheesy smell out of my blender. I washed it a million times – in the dishwasher, by hand… but the smell won’t go away. Do you experience this too? Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the cheese smell?
Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2018 at 7:26 am

Hey Clara, Oh no I’m sorry to hear that about your blender! I haven’t experienced this. Did you try adding a tiny bit of dish soap and warm water and letting it blend for a while? I wonder if Vitamix has some tips on their website too!

Bailey April 11, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Funny you should ask about go to pans. My husband and I were talking about this last week. I whole heartedly suggest a cast-iron brainer (4 quart). Mine is staub. I got it as a wedding gift 7 years ago. We use it 5 nights per week and love it! Getting used to to cast iron takes a little time but is well worth it. You can use it as a fry pan (that is how i usually use it).
Link for image:

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 13, 2018 at 8:02 am

Thanks So much Bailey…I’ve heard great things about the staubs!

Angela S April 16, 2018 at 8:18 am

Was browsing the beachbody blog today, and your endurance crackers recipe was featured as a substitution for chips and crackers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2018 at 7:17 am

Hey Angela, Thanks for sharing! I will check out the article :)

Isabelle April 17, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Aw I love this style of post! Learnt a lot thank you!
Isabelle xx