Introducing Glow Getter: Entrepreneurs making waves!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine’s Day! Whether you’re celebrating with friends, family, or a special someone today, I hope you have a great one. And if all else fails, I have a feeling my Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies, Pink Power Detox Smoothie, or Cheerful Vegan Nachos will give your taste buds the lovin’ they’re looking for. ;)

This morning I woke up with a bit of nervous energy washing over me! We’ve been working hard on a brand new Oh She Glows series these past few months and today is the day I get to finally share it with you all. It wasn’t easy keeping things secret, I tell ya! The Glow Getter series is our way of spreading the love to fellow wellness entrepreneurs: inspiring, plant-powered business owners who share their daily rituals and secret recipes for success. I can’t think of a better duo to kick off our Glow Getter series than Pippa and Neige Blair, founders of Canadian natural deodorant brand routine. Over the years I’ve tried countless all-natural deodorants, and I was honestly starting to lose hope until I found routine. Now it’s all I use! (A special shout-out to my sister Kristi for introducing me to the brand!)

Pippa and Neige Blair are sisters-in-law from Calgary, Alberta who “believe armpits are lovely and deserve the best.” From the first moment I checked out routine’s website, the pair’s playful personalities jumped off the page. Each routine product name features a fun nod to pop culture favourites—Sexy Sadie, Blackberry Betty and Johnny’s Cash, to list a few—and product descriptions with pizzazz: “A vegan formula (no beeswax) with top notes of cedar, pine and lumberjack, with bass notes of rock n’ roll” (Johnny’s Cash). Who knew shopping for deodorant could be so much fun?!

After her first daughter was born, Neige became passionate about ensuring her growing family had only the best all-natural products in their home and began developing essential oil-based products for baby, home and body. She soon realized the product most lacking in mainstream retail was all-natural deodorant, and set to work creating her very own to sell. For six years Neige worked to perfect her product, sharing results with family and friends all along the way. She created one base recipe that she would make from memory, gradually tweaking ingredients until the overall consistency felt just right. Over 30 variations of routine cream later, Neige’s devoted legion of guinea pigs (the human kind, that is—routine doesn’t test on any animals!) finally convinced her to share routine with the world, and in 2011 Neige brought routine cream to Calgary’s Market Collective for the first time. Getting ready for the big day, Neige enlisted her sister-in-law Pippa, a marketing expert who’d previously worked with brands like Nike, Rogers, and Hudson’s Bay before rerouting careers to enroll in nursing school. The two stayed up until 2am printing and pasting labels onto each beloved jar of routine, and from there a dream team was born! Are you inspired? I sure am!!!

Their hard work certainly paid off: routine was an instant hit at Market Collective. Available in sleek and stylish bathroom-counter-ready tubs, routine cream’s packaging is fully eco-conscious to boot! Full-size jars are made of glass and filled to last 3-6 months, and both those tubs and the box they’re wrapped in is entirely recyclable. In 2015 the pair’s all-natural product became available to ingredient-conscious shoppers across Canada at Whole Foods; in 2017, the deodorant won Cert Clean’s “Best Natural Deodorant Award” and just this November, Neige and Pippa were listed in Avenue Magazine’s Top 40 Under 40 segment. To say that Pippa and Neige are two Canadian entrepreneurs absolutely killin’ it is an understatement, and I’m so proud to kick off this series with them today.

One of my favourite things about this new series is the fun rapid fire survey we developed to get to know our featured entrepreneurs. Below, Pippa and Neige chime in on their 2018 goals, go-to exercise, favourite munchies and more. Take it away, Glow Getters!

I hope you’ve loved getting to know our first Glow Getters as much as we have—we’d love to hear what you think of the new series in a comment below! Thank you so much to Neige and Pippa for sharing their lives and path to success. It’s been so inspiring getting to know you two!

Laura von Hagen February 14, 2018 at 11:08 am

Hi Angela,

This was a great article and I loved the the Rapid Fire Q & A. Do you have an applications process for your Glow Getter Program? I am a Naturopathic Doctor with a special interest in hormones and fertility and would love to chat with you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 7:27 am

Hi Laura, Thank you so much! It was so fun to put this series together. We don’t have an application process for Glow Getter; I simply reach out to organizations or brands that I’ve been supporting over the years, and that I’m interested in finding more about. Your work sounds so interesting though…I’ll definitely check out your website. :)

Erin February 14, 2018 at 12:58 pm

What a coincidence! I have also been trying for years to switch to a natural deodorant and just couldn’t find one that worked well enough. A few weeks back I discovered Routine, and I’m in love. The fact it’s developed by two Canadian women makes it even more awesome!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 14, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Hey Erin, I’m so happy you discovered it too! I wish I had found it YEARS ago!

Erin February 14, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Haha, me too! I am contemplating the sample pack so I can test out all the different scents and pick my fav.

Erika February 15, 2018 at 10:30 am

The sampler pack is a wonderful idea. I’ve never seen a deodorant company so innovative! Haha The little containers are great to keep in your purse or for traveling!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 5:07 pm

It really is! They are so innovative, and even their FAQ page is super helpful. I just love how their minds work. ;)

Kelly February 14, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Love it! A well written and entertaining article about an inspiring team. Is their line available in the states? Looking forward to the next one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 7:21 am

Thank you Kelly! It was so much fun to put together. :) And they ship all over the world!

Kristen February 14, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Hi Angela…Happy & Healthy Valentine’s Day! I am going to order this tonight! I have tried so many brands and have been on the hunt for years! Love the new post! But, I. Loooove ALL of your posts and recipes!!! And BTW…love the Hurraw lip balms you shared…ordered everyone some for Valentine’s Day! And they are crazy about them!!! ❤️, Kristen ❤️

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 7:18 am

Hey Kristen, Thank you for the love! I always feel a bit nervous sharing my fave products because everyone is so different, but I’m so happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed some. I’d love to hear what you think of routine! I’m obsessed with the various scents.

Connie February 14, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Oh my goodness, the timing on this! My 13-year-old daughter and I have been on a quest for the last month to find something that will not result in irritation for her. We were about to give up and try to make our own, but now I’m all over trying this out – very excited! And I love the concept of this series!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 7:15 am

Aww I’m so happy the timing was good for your search Connie! I hope you find one you love.

Bonnie February 15, 2018 at 8:02 am

Love this post! What a great concept!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 8:46 am

Thank you Bonnie! We’re really excited for it too.

Erika February 15, 2018 at 10:26 am

I was wondering if you’ve discovered Routine! I can’t get enough of it. I struggled with finding a natural deodorant and tried a dozen over the last year. Now I’ve got my whole family using it. I picked up the sampler pack and never looked back!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 5:08 pm

I hear you…I have probably tried a dozen brands over the years too. Some left me stinky, some were oddly sticky…lol. Not routine.

Karen February 15, 2018 at 10:53 am

Love the new series! How admirable of you to shine the spotlight on fellow entrepreneurs. Thanks for everything that you do! I check www.ohsheglows.com like I check my e-mail every day.. sometimes multiple times. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 7:19 am

Aww thank you Karen! That means the world to me. :)

Jamie February 15, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Love this new series, and I LOVE Routine – I’ve been a fan for a while now! My fave is A Girl Named Sue. :)

Can’t wait to see who else you feature!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 5:06 pm

I’m so glad to find fellow routine fans! I almost gave up hope on finding a natural deodorant I love…wish I found it a LONG time ago, but so happy to have a go-to now. :)

Kelly February 15, 2018 at 2:14 pm

FANTASTIC new series! Congratulations to these two amazing women, and to you for showcasing them!
Can’t wait to read about your next Glow Getter!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Thank you Kelly! So glad you enjoyed the first feature.

meg February 15, 2018 at 4:07 pm

I love everything about this series! What a brilliant idea and I absolutely LOVE Routine. I swear I tried every deodorant under the sun and I have been a huge supporter of theirs for just over a year now! If you are ever looking to expand your series to the health and wellness space, I am a physio that has created a community of women that do home-based workouts that are very rehab-specific to regain strength and connection to their bodies postpartum. The response has been wonderful and I would love to have you join in sometime! Keep up the inspiring work – you have revolutionized our kitchen :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Hey Meg, so glad you are a fan too! And I love to hear about what you’re doing in the postpartum wellness space. I’ll definitely check out your website! Thanks.

Jennifer - Flora and Forest [Real Flower Jewellery] February 15, 2018 at 6:48 pm

OHHH! I LOVE their deodorant. I have a problem with my sweat glands being blocked by regular deodorant and this is one that just does the trick! No reactions, love the scents and it works GREAT! Love this series, Angela! So amazing. :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 7:17 am

Thank you Jennifer! Glad to hear you’re a fan too. I’m obsessed.

Nicole MacPherson February 16, 2018 at 9:43 am

I used to buy routine on the playground from Neige – I’ve loved seeing her go from that to this! It’s been such a great success story and I’m thrilled for her and Pippa!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 10:05 am

That’s so fun you used to buy it long ago!

Layna February 16, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Hi Angela,
Just wanted to say THANK YOU – for all that you share – of your talents, your daily life (ups and downs!), and experiences. Everything that you share is always thoughtfully put together and spot on – whether it be a recipe (or a whole book or app!) or a product recommendation.
You are really off to a rockin’ start in 2018! Love it all.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Layna this brought tears to my eyes (no joke!). I can’t thank you enough…truly! There have been many ups and downs since juggling OSG with two kiddos and I am just really grateful for your enthusiasm as it’ll keep me going when I have self-doubt. big hugs!

Ben Rosenthal February 16, 2018 at 8:22 pm

How are you selecting businesses to feature as Glow Getters? I’d love to glow in on the fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 11:01 am

Hey Ben! You got it…Glow Getters features some of my favourite entrepreneurs that I’d like to get to know more in depth.

mangafox February 17, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Jennifer February 18, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I am excited about this awesome new feature! As a long-time reader of your blog, what a great way to branch out and include businesses with real people :) One of my goals is to buy less stuff from commercial/big box places and get to know small, hand-crafted businesses. I’ve been on the natural deodorant hunt for a while now too, and am excited to receive my routine order. And so happy they ship to the US! I look forward to your next post, Angela! (ok, all of your posts really…who am I kidding…)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much Jennifer! I’m super excited for the series too. :)

amanda February 18, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for this article! I too have been on the lookout for and have tried various natural deodorants and haven’t had the greatest success. I love the fact that this is a Canadian product and the ingredients seem to be carefully thought out and sourced. After reading your post I went out and bought my first jar of Routine the other day and gave it quite a test at work where I’m running around a lot. I was genuinely impressed, it actually works! Yay! Plus I’ve found a store that will refill the jar, a big plus as I’m trying to cut down on packaging as much as possible. Win win!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 10:57 am

Amanda, this makes me so happy! Whohoo. I’m so glad you’re liking it so far. I was super surprised by it too. I find it works better than my old non-natural “go-to” brand so for me that is huge.

andrea February 22, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Love this series idea! And will have to check out this deodorant…so fun to learn about natural products that actually work!

dozer February 23, 2018 at 9:36 am

Sounds amazing- just ordered some today! I have been looking for an all natural deodorant forever and have been sorely disappointed by the offerings. Tom’s seems to disappear within an hour. I’m excited to try this!

dozer March 1, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Update- I’ve been using it the past few days and love it! Brought me through biking to work, all day on my feet, and post work run. And I typically use a strong generic deodorant. Thanks again, I’ll be spreading the word!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2018 at 7:34 am

Yay!! That’s so great. I’m so glad you share my positive experience with it.

Irina April 5, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for highlighting them, Angela! I’ve been unhappy with my natural deodorant and didn’t want to go back to regular ones. So I gave them a shot (even paid the shipping price to US). I’m impressed! Love the sample Sexy Sadie — and will definitely be going back to buy the full jar. I can’t believe these actually work better than standard chemical-y deodorants!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2018 at 8:09 am

So happy you love it too! :)