Ask Angela: 12 foods I eat every day, freezing cupcakes, and more!

I know what you’re thinking: Ask Angela? What happened to my Friday FAQs?! I decided to do a little name change for this series. My alternate title contender was “Ask Angela and I’ll try my very best not to steer you toward an epic cooking fail”. Lol. But that title proved to be a little long. ;) Semantics aside, it’s business as usual over here! Although I gotta say the above photo has always made me chuckle…I don’t think there’s ever been a time outside of that photoshoot when you would’ve caught me casually lounging in bed with breakfast while working away on my computer. It seemed like a fun idea at the time, though!

Anyway, there were some great questions that came in over the last week and I’m excited to share them with you below. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Q1. Hi Angela! One of my goals for 2018 is to eat more plant-based foods as part of my daily routine. That got me thinking…can you share the plant-based foods that you tend to eat every single day? I think this would help me since I’m low on time as a new mom and would also help me to include more “plant-based regulars” on my grocery list each week.

Hi Kayla, what a fun idea! I’d love to share. There are many foods that I eat every single day, and you’re so right about it saving time when things are busy. Some of the foods I tend to reach for every day are:

Leafy greens: I try to eat leafy greens in some form every day, whether they’re thrown into a smoothie or sautéed with garlic, pink salt, and olive oil as a savoury snack or side.

Raw walnuts: I love grabbing a couple handfuls of walnuts when I’m rushing out the door! They’re a great, filling go-to snack on the run.

Grapefruit: The immune-boosting benefits of grapefruit make them a daily go-to for me in the wintertime.

Avocado: I enjoy at least one large avocado every single day…#obsessed. But with three avocado-loving family members in the house these days, our supply tends to run out quickly!

Flax wraps: I eat one of Wrap it Up Raw’s raw flax wraps every day for lunch. I’ll roll one up with mashed avocado, sauerkraut, pink salt, hemp hearts, and any leftover roasted veggies I have on hand. It takes 2 minutes to make, and I love how rich in fibre, healthy fats, and protein these wraps are.

Sauerkraut: I love to add sauerkraut to my wraps or salads for a crunchy, tangy boost. It’s also great for the digestive system.

Seasonal produce: We try our best to eat with the seasons, so in the winter I stock up on winter squash, citrus, kale, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, parsnips, beets, etc.

Almond butter: I’d love to say that I always have a supply of my favourite homemade almond butter on hand, but I try to stock a few quick store-bought alternatives in the pantry since life is so busy these days. My go-to brand is Whole Foods 365 roasted almond butter. If my blood sugar is running low and I have no time to prepare food, I’ll often grab a big spoonful of it for a quick boost. Arlo seems to take after me because now when he sees the jar come out of the pantry, he’ll scream until I give him some too. (And then proceeds to use it mostly as a face and body butter instead!)

Lentils: Lentils are a super cheap source of protein and fibre and are a staple in our house. I love throwing them into soups and pasta or on top of salads or wraps.

Matcha green tea powder and/or organic coffee: Hello, antioxidants! I make a matcha tea or French press coffee every single day without fail. Nothing (nothing!) can get in the way of this daily ritual. Now if only it were still warm when I finally get to drinking it….

Dark chocolate: I always, always have some chocolate after dinner. #YOLO! My favourite bar is Green and Blacks Organic 85%.

Beet chips: I’m in a major beet chip phase right now that I don’t see ending anytime soon!! I love Hardbite’s Drop’n Mad Lightly Salted Beets Chips. They’re one of my favourite splurges as of late.

As an added bonus, many of these foods are great for my skin and will give it a boost from the inside out (deep-fried beets aside, perhaps, lol)! Also keep in mind that this list will change with the seasons…maybe I can do an update in the spring or summer. I hope it gives you a few ideas for your next grocery shop. Good luck with your goals!

Q2. I would like to make your Fail-Proof Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Buttercream for a vegan family member but won’t have time to prepare them the day of, or even the day before. Would the cupcakes freeze well, do you think? Thank you!

Hey Natalie, Yes, the cupcakes freeze quite well! I suggest cooling the cupcakes fully before wrapping them up. If I’m storing them for more than a few days, I like to tightly wrap each individual cupcake in plastic wrap and then place all of them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Stored this way, they should be fine in the freezer for 4 to 6 weeks or so. To thaw, simply pop them into the fridge overnight, or place them on the counter for a faster option.

Q3. Hi Angela, I’m so looking forward to making your Vegan Brownies and have a question about the recipe instructions. Should I melt the Earth Balance Buttery Spread before I measure it for my batter?

Hey Dena, This is a great question! I always measure vegan butter, coconut oil, cacao butter, coconut butter, etc. from solid unless otherwise specified. Another thing to look out for is how it’s indicated in my ingredient list:

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

When the “melted” instruction comes after the ingredient (in this case after coconut oil), it means to measure the coconut oil from a solid state/room temperature and melt it after measuring.

1/3 cup melted cacao butter

Rarely will I ask you to measure butter substitutes from a melted state, but you might spot this instruction here and there depending on the recipe. The above example is asking you to melt the cacao butter first and then measure out 1/3 cup.

These are things you’re probably already aware of, but it’s always nice to point them out from time to time in case others are wondering the same thing. Thanks so much for clarifying!

Q4. I’m making your Next Level Vegan Enchiladas tomorrow night for a family gathering! Do you think regular sprouted spelt flour would work instead of white spelt flour in the Enchilada Sauce? Thanks in advance!

Hey Rita, You can absolutely use whole-grain spelt flour, but I might suggest sifting it first to get the larger spelt grains/flecks out of it. I also think other flour alternatives could work, but you may need to play with the amounts a little to achieve your desired consistency.

“Another toddler snack idea is to mix puréed fruit and veggies with yogurt (I use whole milk yogurt but I’m sure a vegan yogurt would work as well) and drip/drizzle it on a baking sheet that’s oiled or lined with a silicone baking mat. Then I freeze the yogurt/fruit drops on the sheet for a few hours before transferring them to a jar to keep in the freezer. My toddler of 18 months loves these.”

What a GREAT idea!! Thanks Stephanie! I’ll be trying this for sure, especially as Arlo is cutting a gazillion teeth right now. Too bad I can’t give these to him in the middle of the night. ;) I may try it with my Super Thick Coconut Yogurt as I have some frozen coconut meat to use up. Thanks for sharing!

1 Sandra February 9, 2018

Hi Angela! I love the rebranding of the series to “Ask Angela”, I think that’s a great idea! I’ve wanted to ask you for ages whether you have an Instant Pot and whether any of your recipes would be suited for it? What with this Instant Pot craze going on now, I’d love to be able to make your delicious recipes quickly in this new gadget!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

Hey Sandra, Aw thank you! I don’t have an Instapot, but I’ve been considering buying one for a while now. I guess I just worry that the recipes won’t taste quite as good in the Instapot (I’ve read reviews comparing traditional cooking methods with the Instapot and the traditional cooking methods won flavour-wise). But I agree, it would be super handy to have if my recipes did work…might be worth trying at least! This is a really great question for Ask Angela too because we could ask blog readers to weigh in and share if they’ve tried any of my recipes in the instapot! I’ll definitely keep you posted if I get one. :)

3 Megan February 9, 2018

Do you have a go-to brand of pre-made sauerkraut, or do you make your own? Thanks!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

Hey Megan, I like to try different brands, but the one I always come back to is Bubbies. Classic!

5 Kathy February 9, 2018

I’ve successfully made the enchilada sauce with cassava, tigernut and almond flours, but found cassava and tigernut too grainy. I wonder if it would be better sifted before mixing? I have also wondered if cashew cream would thicken it (but probably change the texture).

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

Thanks for sharing your flour swaps Kathy! Now I’m dreaming of a cashew cream-infused enchilada sauce. Whooooaaaa.

7 Kendra February 9, 2018

Hey Angela, great tips as always! I’m looking for some ideas and inspiration. My husband and I, along with our 13 month old, are going on a 10 day work/vacation trip in a few weeks. I would really rather not eat out for every meal since that does scary things to our food budget. We’re driving and will have a mini fridge in our hotel, so some storage space but not a ton. Any ideas for a couple meals I could make in advance and bring with for the first few days at least? And what would you say your best travel friendly snacks are? Thanks for the help!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

Hey Kendra, Thank you! :) Oh these are great questions. My tester Nicole and I will do some brainstorming!

9 Danielle February 20, 2018

We are on vacation now and have the same issue. Since we travel often (not with a toddler), but do want healthy options, we typically plan ahead and do some of the following:
1) Dry snacks for the car that are easy to grab in snack sized baggies (take up less room than tupperware and the small size keep you from eating too much or your kid from making a mess if they have more than they want too eat).
2) We usually rent an Airbnb or an extended stay hotel with a larger fridge where possible so when we get there we can take advantage of at least breakfast and one other meal in the room/house. When we first get to the location, we find a local store and stock up on what will fit in the fridge. Make sure to pack the bare minimum of utensils (a paring knife and peeler, maybe a small cutting board) for quick to grab veggie snacks. Fruit makes a great snack for in the room also. Be careful which fruit you take in the car, some don’t travel well, depending on the heat and getting squished/bruised.
3) Breakfast is the easy meal to eat for us on the go, with dry cereal, bread and PB&J, granola, etc.
4.) pack water in your cooler and a a few treats like carrots and hummus-or find one thing each person likes for the cooler. Don’t pack too much perishable food for on the road–we find it usually it gets wasted (i.e. water logged) before you can eat it all. People want out of the car and need to stretch. Save the eating in for when you get to your destination.
These tips have helped us along the way! Have a great vacation. :)

10 aimee February 9, 2018

I love the list of daily foods, lots of those are my favorites too!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

Thanks so much, Aimee! It’s nice to have those healthy go-to’s, for sure!

12 wendy February 10, 2018

We love the Wrap it Raw flax wraps too! So yummy with some hummus and fresh veggies. thanks for sharing your daily go-to’s.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2018

So glad you love them too…I’m so hooked! My freezer is always stocked, lol.

14 mary February 10, 2018

I think you’re wonderful.
Thanks

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 12, 2018

Right back at ya Mary! ;)

16 Jacqueline Astemborski February 10, 2018

Hi – i love some of your baked recipes but i have noticed that use a lot of bananas which I don’t like to use due to the environmental effects. Is there something else i could use instead? Thanks.

Also, I am intrigued by the wraps. Do you know if you can purchase them in the US? Thanks.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 12, 2018

Hey Jacqueline, The raw flax wraps are only sold in Canada from what I saw on their website. Maybe they’ll expand in the future! ;) As for bananas, it really depends on the recipe. If you have a specific one in mind I’m happy to help troubleshoot though.

18 Jennifer February 10, 2018

Great Post! Thank you for sharing. How do you make your Matcha tea? I also struggle in making Matcha tea as it always separates.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 12, 2018

Hey Jennifer, I usually add the Matcha into my mug and a bit of hot water…then I whisk it until it’s smooth. Then I add the rest of the water and a bit of creamer and whisk that in until combined. Sometimes I make Matcha “lattes” in the blender, but it does separate.

20 Melanie February 12, 2018

Since you love dark chocolate and I love it as well, you might want to try Hummingbird Chocolate, made in Almonte, Ontario. Very few ingredients, Fairtrade, organic and all that good stuff, plus no soy lecithin (for health reasons I avoid soy). Thanks for all the inspiration and practical advice. Take care.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2018

Thanks for the tip about Hummingbird Chocolate, Melanie! I’m going to look them up now. You don’t need to twist my arm to try new chocolate I tell ya. ;)

22 Tanya February 17, 2018

Response to Q6 in your e-newsletter: Yes. I have had in instant pot for about 8-10 months. It doesn’t always make things faster. The saute function isn’t always great for it is often too hot (or on low – too low) – so I usually use a fry pan. But it can make the food more flavorful for it pressures the flavors through the food. Any legumes cook much faster and are very palatable and don’t have to soak or cook for hours. I recently started following Two Sleeves International where food is more nutritionally balanced. Full of flavor. And delicious. I don’t like to cook with a lot of simple starches (pasta, white rice, etc) or creamy fatty foods which a lot of the mainstream IP sites seem to provide.

23 mangahere February 17, 2018

24 Emma O February 20, 2018

Hi Angela. Love your recipes. Just a note about Green and Blacks, because I see them being promoted in the US a lot. Green and Blacks was a small, ethical, fairtrade, organic, UK brand. However they sold to Cadbury in 2005 (with guarantees that the organic, fairtrade ethos would be protected). Cadbury was later acquired by Mondelez (Kraft) – they have now ditched independent fair trade certification for Green and Blacks in favour of their own in-house (unregulated) ‘fairtrade’ mark and have recently launched a range of non-organic products under the Green and Blacks brand. The original owner of Green and Blacks now says that he regrets the sale. Fairtrade/organic certification for Green and Blacks wasn’t the only thing Mondelez ditched either, they also reneged on an agreement to keep Cadbury’s original factory in Keynsham open – wtith the consequent loss of jobs. As a former G&B fan, it really galls me to see Kraft still capitalising on that organic/fairtrade/ethical image when the reality is anything but. (Rant over!)