Vegan Peppermint Patty Slice

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 7, 2017

Who’s ready for an easy vegan holiday dessert? I know I am! I’ve had this one in my holiday recipe holster since first creating it this past summer, and have been dying for the right time to share it.

A quick note about this recipe: The pictures make it look HUGE, but it’s actually a small dessert with fairly dainty portions. I use a small 4×8-inch loaf pan. If you use a standard-size (9×5-inch) loaf pan, the dessert will have less height (but no less delicious flavour!). Hey—I’ve never complained about dessert in any shape or form, but I wanted to mention it so you don’t find yourself puzzled over a smaller-than-expected finished product.

Be sure to read my tips in the headnote and at the bottom of the recipe. You know I love to give you flexibility in your own kitchens, so this recipe is bursting with my testing notes and modifications. I actually had to cut myself off from writing more!! #nerdalert

5 from 9 reviews

Vegan Peppermint Patty Slice

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw

This peppermint patty is a showstopping dessert that's coloured naturally with spinach—though only you and I will know its nutritious secret! As an added bonus it’ll only set you back 15 minutes of prep. The filling calls for at least 4 hours of freezing time, so I like to whip it up before bed to pop in the freezer overnight. This way, all I have to do the next day is add the ganache on top and freeze it for another 10 minutes. If you’re making this dessert around the holidays, it’s delightful served with a crushed candy cane topping. My standby, year-round topping is raw cacao nibs, which also add a lovely (and nutritious!) crunch. The crunchy topping really completes the dessert, so I don’t recommend skimping on it, and be sure to serve additional cacao nibs or crushed candy cane on top of each slice before serving. Lastly, it’s important to use a very small loaf pan so the dessert has height. I use a 4x8-inch loaf pan by Baker’s Secret. You could also try making individual servings by filling a silicone cupcake mold.

10 small slices

• Pinch fine sea salt
For the chocolate ganache:
  • 1/2 cup (90 g) non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) full-fat coconut cream****
  • Dash fine sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs or crushed candy cane, plus more for serving
  • Fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)

1. Line a small (approximately 4x8-inch) loaf pan or 6-inch cake pan with plastic wrap so the slab will be easy to lift out after freezing.
  2. Add all of the filling ingredients (cashew butter, maple syrup, melted oil, almond milk, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, spinach, and salt) into a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth. Make sure no chunks of spinach leaves remain. Taste and add more peppermint extract if desired.
  3. Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Place the pan on a flat spot in the freezer and freeze for 4 to 5 hours, until the filling is solid. There’s no need to cover it unless you plan on keeping it in the freezer longer than 8 hours.
  4. When the filling is solid, prepare the ganache topping. In a medium pot, combine the chocolate chips, coconut cream (make sure water is drained before adding), and salt. Melt the chips over the lowest heat setting, stirring frequently, until smooth.
  5. Remove the filling from the freezer and, gripping the plastic wrap as a handle, lift it out of the pan. Flip the filling onto a large plate and peel off the plastic wrap.
  6. Pour the ganache over top of the solid filling, starting in the centre, and allow it to cascade down the sides a bit. Immediately scatter the crushed candy cane or cacao nibs all over the ganache. Return it to the freezer, uncovered, and freeze for about 10 minutes, until the ganache is firm.
  7. Slice and garnish with fresh mint, if you’re fancy! Sprinkle additional cacao nibs or crushed candy cane on top of each slice and enjoy immediately. Return leftovers to the freezer right away as the dessert does soften as it sits.

* Instead of cashew butter, you can use 1 1/4 cups (180 g) of soaked raw cashews. Soak them in boiled water for 1 hour, rinse, drain, and add them into a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) along with the rest of the ingredients. If your blender has a hard time blending nuts smooth, I suggest that you use the raw cashew butter version instead. You can also use homemade raw cashew butter. To make your own, simply process raw cashews in a heavy-duty food processor until smooth. I don’t recommend using roasted cashew butter as it gives the slice a strong nutty flavour.

** The intensity of peppermint extracts vary by brand, so 1 1/2 teaspoons is intended as a guide—please add it slowly to taste.

*** I only recommend using spinach if your blender is good at blending leafy greens smooth. If your blender tends to leave spinach chunks in smoothies, I would suggest omitting the spinach in this recipe just to make sure you aren’t going to find spinach chunks in the slice. Or see my tip about using a food processor below.

**** Coconut cream is the solid white cream in a can of full-fat coconut milk. Chill the can overnight before using to ensure the coconut cream is solid. I like to open a mini can (160 mL) of full-fat coconut milk for this recipe; this way, there isn’t a lot left over to use up. The remaining amount is just perfect for throwing into your next smoothie!

No blender? No problem! If you have a heavy-duty food processor you can make the filling in the processor, just be warned that the spinach doesn’t break down fully (my version had some very fine green speckling resembling mint sugar), and you’ll want to run the processor for a good while to help the spinach break down as much as possible.

If you don’t have cacao nibs or crushed candy cane on hand, feel free to top the ganache with finely chopped dark chocolate.

OSGMOM December 7, 2017 at 9:13 am

Peppermint and Chocolate, my all time favourite dessert combination!!! and this is Healthy :) I can’t wait to make it! Nutritious Yumminess :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2017 at 11:15 am

My own love for mint and chocolate must be genetic then. I remember always going crazy for those chocolate-covered mint sticks around the holidays.

Laura @ Raise Your Garden December 7, 2017 at 9:55 am

Angela, You have blown my mind with this dessert down to the ganache. Mint desserts are my favorite. But wow, this lovely has such elegant visual appeal. I love the fresh mint on top!!! It’s an intrusive plant and has taken over my side yard and I STILL have some. So if anyone wants any…..please pop over and take all you want =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2017 at 11:14 am

You might want to throw some fresh mint right into the filling too. I meant to try that myself, but ran out of fresh mint.
I hope you enjoy it, Laura!

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) December 7, 2017 at 10:16 am
Recipe Rating:

Yay for the ideal holiday table dessert!

My daycare moms, children, teens and I all fell for this decadent dessert. It was so quick to make…simple and straightforward, that the luxurious result took me by surprise!

We were so lucky to be the first to taste this recipe this past summer and it was another taste test that had the children struggling to get hold of their moms’ portions…but the mommies were NOT letting go! It worked perfectly with the cashew butter and with the soaked cashew option. It was irresistable with crunchy cacao nibs, but I am looking forward to making it festive with crushed candy canes :)

I know they are going to be happy when they see this post…none of them could wait for the recipe to come out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2017 at 11:13 am

Thanks Nicole! To think we were sitting on this recipe for months and evil…hahah. Thanks for all your help with testing.

Becky December 7, 2017 at 10:55 am

This looks delicious, but my first thought when I saw it was pistachio, not mint. So now I really want to try this, but make it pistachio flavored! Thanks for sharing! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2017 at 11:11 am

Oh I love this idea, Becky! Pistachios are so good…I don’t buy them enough.

Aimee December 7, 2017 at 12:02 pm

This look at amazing!! Is there anything that can be aubstituted for the cashew butter? Would soaked almonds work? Or pine nuts? Allergies…*sigh* Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2017 at 9:05 am

Hey Aimee! I haven’t tried it yet, but if I was going to try a nut-free version I would probably use 3/4 cup soaked raw sunflower seeds.

Devyn December 7, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Do you think i could swap out the peppermint extract for fresh mint leaves and then put a bit less spinach?

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) December 8, 2017 at 11:56 am

Hi Devyn!

Fresh mint works wonderfully in this recipe.

We have a patch of Chocolate Mint growing in our garden. To meet the demands for this dessert from my kids, I have made it many times, often swapping out the mint extract (or even leaving it in!) and using 1/3 cup packed mint leaves. No need to reduce the amount of spinach. It turned out lovely! In fact, this recipe turns out incredibly well every time, whether I use soaked cashews, cashew butter, mint leaves, mint extract…it’s a keeper!

If you are using a stronger flavoured mint, such as spearmint, you’d want to start with 1/4 packed cup and add more to taste. With fresh mint, the flavour intensifies as the patty chills. Delicious!

Bess December 8, 2017 at 9:16 am

How long will this keep out of the frig ?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hi there, Not long at all…it starts to soften quickly. I’d say no longer than 10-15 minutes to be sure!

BETH December 8, 2017 at 9:27 am

Do you have an alternative to cashews? For those millions suffering from IBS, cashews are the only dominant nut that is high in FOD-MAPS (specifically oligos [GOS & Fructans]).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hey Beth, I haven’t tried it but I would probably try 3/4 cup soaked raw sunflower seeds! If you try it out please let me know how it goes.

Abby @ Heart of a Baker December 8, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Ohh I can’t WAIT to try this one! It seems like I always focus on chocolate and gingerbread things, but never make enough mint desserts!

Isadora Guidoni December 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Recipe Rating:

This looks so good! I’m not that good at the kitchen, but I’m gonna have to try this myself. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Danielle December 9, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Do you have a suggestion on what to use instead of coconut oil? We don’t use any oil in our house, but this looks delicious! Would it turn out ok without it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2017 at 8:05 am

Hey Danielle, The coconut oil is used to help the freezer dessert solidify, without it I’m afraid it would be too soft. What about trying cocoa butter? It’s stronger in flavour though so I’m not sure about the taste.

Olya December 9, 2017 at 5:49 pm

This looks amazing!

Angela December 9, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Tried this tonight and they were amazing!! I am a huge mint chocolate fan and it completely satisfied my craving. It’s so nice to have healthy recipes to share for the holidays and that everyone can enjoy. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2017 at 8:00 am

Hey Angela, Glad to hear you’re a big chocolate-mint fan like me! So happy it was a hit.

Lisa December 10, 2017 at 1:56 am

Oh my gosh, when I saw the pic I knew I had to make this, absolutely loved it, so creamy and not sweet, leaves your mouth feeling minty fresh! The crushed candy canes are a must! Just a beautiful dessert❤️

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2017 at 7:59 am

Hey Lisa, I’m so happy you made it and loved it! Thanks for letting me know.

Mackenzie @ Nibble to Nourish December 10, 2017 at 11:04 am

This will definitely be making an appearance on my dinner table this holiday season! I love that you’ve incorporated baby spinach for some sneaky veggies….my family will never guess there’s spinach in it haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Hey Mackenzie, Glad to hear you’ll be making it!! I’d love to know how it goes. :)

Annalise December 10, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Love the colors here! This reminds me of a semifreddo; love the idea of the crunchy nibs on top!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2017 at 8:34 am

Thanks Annalise! Yes, the nibs on top are key! Need that crunch.

Christine M Notermann December 10, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Has anyone used this recipe for other ice cream desserts? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2017 at 8:28 am

Hey Christine, These fillings do tend to be pretty versatile from what I’ve found. What were you thinking of using it for? Curious minds want to know! haha

Gulia Arno December 11, 2017 at 4:40 am
Recipe Rating:

This looks so yummy and delicious! I’m definitely going to give it a try! Lots of love!

Leslie December 11, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Recipe Rating:

These are amazing, make them now!! I made this recipe for a holiday party this weekend and they were a huge hit. Everyone loved that they were green because of spinach, and I was told they’re essentially salad, so they’re healthy, right?! I only had roasted cashew butter, not raw, so mine turned out darker green than the photos, but still beautiful. This recipe made 2 dozen mini cups which I did in a silicone muffin pan. They popped out easily once they were completely frozen. My husband took a few skiing with him as well, and while they melted from not being in the freezer all day, they were the perfect high energy snack. I plan to make more of these since I still have candy canes left over. So good and super easy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hey Leslie, Oh I’m so glad it was a hit and I LOVE reading all your tips/modifications. That’s great it worked with roasted cashew butter, too. Thanks for your review!

Tara Leigh December 12, 2017 at 3:36 pm

It looks so good! I’d like to try this – I have all the ingredients at home. Do you think I could use an oiled non-stick-christmas-tree-shaped pan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2017 at 9:21 am

Hey Tara, I would recommend lining it with plastic wrap if you can…otherwise it’ll be hard to remove. I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know how it goes. :)

McKel Hill December 13, 2017 at 5:50 pm

THIS. So so so impressed with the creativity and the ingredients – must try soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2017 at 8:13 am

Thanks McKel! :)

Christine December 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm

My favorite plant – based dessert recipe so far! I made in cupcake tins and garnished with crushed peppermint candies. I need to make another batch for Christmas now because my husband and I have eaten the entire first batch. Yum!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2017 at 7:47 pm

I’m so happy you love it so much…wow!! Thanks Christine! Have a wonderful Christmas

Whitney December 21, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Hi! Can I use coconut cream in a can instead of coconut milk??? Also if so should I chill it over night as well?

Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Hey Whitney, Do you mean instead of the 6 tbsp almond milk? If so, I can’t see why not. I think you’d need to chill it for roughly the same time.

Nancy Lee December 23, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Recipe Rating:

Finally, a way to trick my kids into eating spinach! Muahah.

Seriously though, it looks delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm

haha for real!! ;) I hope you all enjoy it!

Julie Bigras December 23, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Hello Angela, just made the greenixture tastes so good! I m just wondering how i’m supposed to cover it in the freezer, as I m going to make and pour the chocolate mix on it tomorrow, so it will be more than 8 hours in the freezer…I put a Saran wrap without it touching the mixture..and why is it important to cover it if it’s more than 5. Hours in the freezer? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2017 at 8:35 am

Hey Julie, So glad you’re trying this dessert! Frozen desserts like this one tend to get some frost on the top if they’re in the freezer for extended periods of time, and I find covering them helps prevent this a bit. (Either way it’s not a big issue as it’ll be covered with chocolate anyhow!). I hope you enjoy the slice!

Margy December 25, 2017 at 3:06 am

Looks amazing! I love chocolate and mint. Do you think there is a way I can make this sugar-free? Using Stevia or something?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 26, 2017 at 8:23 am

Hey Margy, I’m sorry but I’m not sure. I don’t bake with stevia (it gives me headaches) or other sugar-free sweeteners. Sorry I can’t help!

Lori December 27, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Hi Angela,

I made this for Christmas. It was delicious! Thank you so much for posting this.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2017 at 7:08 am

Hey Lori, So happy that you tried it out for Christmas. Thanks for letting me know how it went! Merry Christmas!

Cassandra Wilson December 30, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Is there something that can be used in place of cashews? Cashews are my son’s anaphylactic allergy

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2017 at 11:38 am

Hey Cassandra, I’ve swapped the cashew butter for 3/4 cup soaked raw sunflower seeds and it worked. The flavour changes a but but still a nice option! Hope this helps.

Lise January 1, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I am allergic to cashew. Any other nuts I could replace cashew with? This looks yummy and I want to try it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2018 at 8:42 am

Hi Lise, I’ve swapped the cashew butter for 3/4 cup soaked raw sunflower seeds and it worked. The flavour changes a but but still a nice option! A reader also said almond butter worked nicely. Hope this helps. :)

Erika January 1, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow, I made this for a fitness bootcamp to start off the New Year and it came out incredible! So dense and similar to a fudge consistency. Smells amazing and I actually used almond butter and it was a hit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2018 at 7:49 am

Hey Erika, Oh I like the way you think…I need to go to your fitness bootcamp! lol. So glad it was a big hit. I agree with you on the fudge consistency. I’ll have to try it with almond butter. So far I’ve tried cashew and soaked raw sunflower seeds (I used about 3/4-1 cup with success).

Alanna from The Electric Soul January 2, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Recipe Rating:

All I can say is WOW! This recipe is absolutely amazing. I made this recently for a holiday party and it was a HUGE hit (amongst many people who had no idea it was vegan) =) Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2018 at 10:21 am

Hey Alanna, Yay, that’s great news! Thank you so much for letting me know. :) Happy New Year!

Annabelle January 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Recipe Rating:

I posted this on my Pinterest site. I love it and have made it 3 times over the Christmas holidays. We chunked it up and served small blocks as the recipe doesn’t make that much.

I used cashew butter the first time then the soaked cashews the other two and I didn’t see much difference. The last time I made it without the chocolate coating and I think I like it better that way. It is very rich and delicious. We played with the amount of peppermint extract and 1 or 1.5 tsp. worked well.

Funny thing… the omnivores had a hard time believing there was spinach in this dessert. It is so little and the other flavors are strong that it just colors it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Hey Annabelle, Oh I love your feedback so much. Thank you! No one ever believes me that there is spinach in it too. It’s such a fun conversation starter. ;) Thanks for the pin too!

Sasha January 24, 2018 at 6:40 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this today (using soaked cashews instead of cashew butter). It is fantastic! It is already my husband’s favorite dessert.

I have yet to try a bad recipe from this site. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Hey Sasha, Oh wow, that’s so exciting…thank you! I’m so happy you’ve loved the recipes so much. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Autumn March 10, 2018 at 10:41 pm

This was SO delicious! I am already dreaming of pouring the filling into popsicle molds and coating with homemade magic shell to make “dilly bars” OSG style!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2018 at 10:48 am

OMG what a great idea!! How good would that be?

debbe patterson March 17, 2018 at 1:02 pm

I have just made this peppermint dessert and as usual it was amazing. I put them in cupcake wrappers , removed the papers when frozen and then put the ganache over top and sprinkled with crushed chocolate. I made them into individual desserts for ease of serving. It reminded me of your pumpkin dessert with the sunflower butter. I have never been disappointed with any of your recipes, they are always crowd pleasers. Everyone in my family, except my husband the last hold out, is a vegan so your recipes are always a welcome part of all of our family gatherings. Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Hey Debbe, I can’t thank you enough for your support and kind words! I’m so flattered that you and the family make so many of my recipes. :) I love that you make this slice into mini servings too…it’s so easy that way!

Christy March 17, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Made this tonight and it was phenomenal. The texture was creamy like nothing else (creamier than ice cream, gelato, brie, etc). I didn’t want to spend $5 on peppermint extract so I used my peppermint essential oil (20 drops), the flavor was perfect. The ganache was not glossy or pourable though, I wonder if it would work better melted in a double boiler instead of right in the pan? Thanks for an excellent recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hey Christy, So glad you loved it! I go nuts for anything chocolate and peppermint…so refreshing, isn’t it? About the ganache, mine was pretty thick and I wouldn’t call it pourable..I had to scoop it out of the dish (check out that photo action shot if you’d like). Also, it’s important when you add the coconut cream not to add any coconut water along with it as water can “seize” the mixture. Hope this helps!