Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5458

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5462

After my ambitious triple-blog-post week just after Arlo was born, I lost the motivation to write. I even had a few recipes and photos uploaded to my drafts folder, but I just couldn’t write the actual posts.

Knowing how fast this time goes by, I yearned to simply be present. I slowed down, which felt absolutely amazing. I worked when the inspiration was there and didn’t when it wasn’t. I soaked up our sweet baby boy. I savoured the confidence and ease of being a second-time mom (what a difference). A rollercoaster of hormones hit me early on, and I struggled with the blues on and off. I nursed and pumped and nursed some more. Eric and I mumbled incoherent words, back and forth, in the middle of the night (why is it so impossible to string words together at 3am?). I kissed Arlo’s head, cheeks, and feet a million and one times, and it has yet to feel like enough. I don’t think it ever will.

We witnessed Adriana transform into a little girl right before our very eyes. One night as I rocked her at bedtime—with her long legs falling off the side of the rocker, my arms burning under the weight of her body, and her bossy words instructing me what songs to sing and not to sing (“NO thank you, MOMMY!”)—it struck me that I was not cradling a baby anymore. I fought back tears. It had been a while since I rocked her, as my 3rd trimester bump had gotten in the way. Now she was basically a teenager disguised as a two-year-old.

Our basement renovation is almost wrapped up, so we’ve taken up dancing, the four of us, in the unfurnished rooms while listening to Christmas music. Adriana clutches her baby doll in her arms, just like I do with Arlo. We also play hide and seek. Often, the basement fun abruptly ends in tears as Adriana has a penchant for running into walls. Ouch. Boo-boos are kissed, and we explain, once again, why it’s a bit too soon for her to pick up her baby brother. So she hovers about an inch over his face, just trembling with excitement, sneaking in kisses. “He’s looking at you!” she yells with delight as he stares into her eyes.

I never want to forget these moments.

Even though I haven’t been writing as much, I’ve been cooking every chance that I get. A couple months ago, Pulse Canada contacted me about partnering with them to develop and share a recipe in celebration of the International Year of Pulses. If you can believe it, I’ve never created a sponsored recipe; most offers I’ve received didn’t feel like authentic reflections of me and the Oh She Glows brand. But pulses…well, I didn’t have to think twice. Peas, beans, lentils, and chickpeas? You know I’m down with that. As I’ve shared on the blog before, Canada is one of the world’s leading producers of pulses (in fact, we’re the #1 producer of peas and lentils, which I think is super cool). There are a whopping 22,000 pulse farmers in Canada (high fives), and our pulses are consumed in over 150 countries. (“Our pulses”? Okay, now I’m talking like I grew them myself or something!) On a personal level, I eat pulses every single day, and I adore their flavour and versatility. Red Lentil Hummus, Chickpea Pancakes, No Bake Chickpea Cookie Dough Bars (a recipe I never got around to finalizing!), Lentil-Walnut Taco “meat”…the sky’s the limit with what you can create!

Aside from being super nutritious and easy on the wallet, pulses are friendly to the environment, too. Their carbon footprint is lower than almost any other food group.

Pulse Canada has created the “Pulse Pledge” encouraging people to commit to eating pulses once a week for 10 weeks and reduce their carbon footprint all at the same time. It’s totally free, and you can sign up with me here. (Spoiler alert: I’m killing it, lol.)

A big thanks to Pulse Canada for sponsoring this post. I’m delighted to finally share my newest pulse-based stew recipe with you below!

A couple housekeeping notes:

Be sure to check out my Instagram post on Friday for some super exciting Black Friday news (hint hint: big app sale, a free holiday cookie app bundle, and Android news!).

Lastly, I’m thrilled to let you know that Oh She Glows Every Day has made it to the final round in the Goodreads Choice Awards. Thank you so much to everyone who has voted and helped to get the book this far! Voting for the final round is open through November 27th; if you’re game to cast one more virtual ballot (or maybe your first!), I would appreciate the support more than I can say. :)

image

veganstew

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5424

Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 17 reviews

Butternut squash, red lentils, and sweet potato are wrapped in a lightly sweet and creamy coconut and tomato broth accented with spicy notes of turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and garlic. Apple cider vinegar provides a tangy brightness to bring everything together. This stew tastes better the next day once the flavours have had a chance to mingle; if you can make it the day before serving, I’d highly recommend it! This recipe was created for Pulse Canada, and was inspired by Deliciously Ella.

Yield
11 cups (2.75 quarts)
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the stew:
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups/280 g)
  • 3 to 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups (400 g) peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash*
  • 1 large sweet potato (450 g), peeled and diced (2 1/2 cups/340 g)*
  • 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can light coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup (100 g) dried red lentils, rinsed**
  • 3 tablespoons (45 mL) tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more if you like heat
  • Fine sea salt, to taste (I use 1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt)
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 teaspoons (15 mL) apple cider vinegar, or to taste
  • 1 bunch chard, stemmed and finely chopped***
Optional accompaniments:
  • Fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
  • Cooked rice
  • Garlic powder and chili powder

Directions:

1. To a large pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
  2. Add the squash and sweet potato and stir to combine. Add a pinch of salt and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer.
  3. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with juices), coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. (If you are spice-shy, feel free to add half the amount to start and increase from there after cooking, to taste.) Stir well to combine.
  4. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, stir again, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash and potato are fork-tender. Reduce the heat if necessary.
  5. Add the apple cider vinegar to taste. Adjust the other seasonings if desired.
  6. Optional step: Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the stew for only 2 to 3 seconds (any more and you’ll blend too much of the veggies). This thickens the broth.
  7. Stir in the chard, and cook for another couple minutes until the greens are wilted.
  8. Scoop some cooked rice onto the bottom of a bowl and then ladle the stew overtop. Garnish with minced cilantro or parsley and a good dusting of garlic and chili powder, if desired.
  9. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, and they freeze beautifully too.

Tips:

* Make sure to dice the squash and potato very small (about the size of almonds), as this will expedite cooking. Also, if you are short on time, you can skip peeling the butternut squash as the skin is edible. (I don’t recommend skipping peeling the potato, though.)

** You can swap the red lentils for 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed).

*** You can swap the chard for 5 ounces of baby spinach or a bunch of kale (stemmed). I recommend chopping the greens into small bite-size pieces for easier eating.

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5455

1 Kassy | Enjoying Earth November 23, 2016

This recipe looks fabulous. I can certainly relate here– I love my peas, chickpeas, beans, and lentils. I end up throwing together a big bowl of steamed squash, sweet potatoes, lentils, and rice at least a few times a week this time of year, so spinning it all into a soup is such a fun new variation that I’m excited to try. Congratulations on your first sponsored post!
Thanks so much, Angela!

2 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you, Kassy!

3 gauri November 23, 2016

Hearty congrats on being in the finals and best luck :) Loved this recipe. Pulses are daily in meals at my home and this one looks very tempting to be tried out. Thank you :)

4 Bev November 23, 2016

Great recipe, cannot wait to try. All the best for the finals, I have voted again!

5 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for your support, Bev!

6 Bev December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This went down a treat on Sunday and all my guests remarked on how delicious it was! It will be a favourite for sure and made many times. Thank you Angela

7 Margaret November 23, 2016

Thanks for your post and reminder to vote for your cookbook (I did :-).I’m glad to hear you’ve been slowing down a bit and valuing the moments before they become memories. I don’t eat lentils enough, though I love your Ultimate Green Taco Wraps. I need to try this one, too.

8 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks so much for your support and kind word words, Margaret :)

9 Heather L November 23, 2016

Recipe look great! (And I voted!)

10 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you for the vote, Heather! :) I appreciate the support so much.

11 Melanie W November 23, 2016

Mmmm. I know what I’m making next week – I even have all the ingredients! I’d love to vote, but the book is on my Christmas list so sadly I don’t have it yet. I can say that your first book is the most heavily used out of my extensive collection! I can’t wait for the second one.
Enjoy the baby and the slowing down – we will be here when you show up!

12 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for your kind words, Melanie! I hope you love the new book when it arrives on Christmas morning, and that you enjoy the stew when you give it a try. :)

13 Jen November 23, 2016

Could I use chickpeas instead of red lentils?

14 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Jen, Yes, definitely! Please see my note at the bottom of the recipe for a chickpea tip. :) I hope you love the stew!

15 Jo November 23, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Tried this recipe tonight. We loved it!

16 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Jo!

17 Kate November 23, 2016

So glad to see you’re back! I just wanted to share how much my family and I are enjoying Oh She Glows Every Day. I ordered it the moment it was available to pre-order, and these last few months have really gotten me inspired for cooking again, largely because everything we’ve tried in your book has been such a success (most recently used recipes: 9-spice mix, pumpkin snacking cookies, dusted w/ confectioner’s sugar, and cabbage lentil soup — all in the last few days). After a couple years of limited time and energy, my love for cooking was waning. Your blog and book are such a delight. Your book is my go-to lately for meal planning and inspiration. Best to you and your family!

P.S. As an Android user, I’m hopeful that your app might be available soon too given your hint today!

18 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Oh, thanks so much for the heartfelt (and heartwarming!) comment, Kate. I’m so pleased to hear you and your family have been enjoying my new cookbook! :)

19 Mike November 24, 2016

I am feeling a bit under the weather and this looks so amazing and good. As someone who is a Vegan wow does this look tasty

20 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it! Sending you a ton of get well wishes, too. :)

21 Kati | black.white.vivid. November 24, 2016

This is such a beautiful recipe. And just voted too :) x Kati

22 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for the support, Kati! :)

23 Alma@ Freelance Content Writer November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Great dish, could not wait to attempt. All the most effective for the finals, I don’t eat lentils enough, though I enjoy your Ultimate Green Taco Wraps. I need to try this, as well.

24 Tori//Gringalicious.com November 24, 2016

This is so my kind of thing! Omg, I adore sweet potatoes with curry!

25 Karen November 24, 2016

This looks like such a great recipe! And congrats on the good news. Although I have missed your posts, I am so glad to hear that you have slowed down to enjoy the precious moments in your family. This of course is so important, so don’t worry about us over here! Enjoy this season. <3

26 Ruth November 24, 2016

Yay, I’ve been eyeing this on Snapchat!! I’m all for pulses, so the theme is awesome! I read a book called “The History of Beans” which I highly recommend to anyone who likes pulses.

Definitely voted, and definitely will be checking Insta tomorrow!!

27 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for the support, Ruth!

28 Susan November 24, 2016

What a gorgeous stew! I’m a lentil addict, so this will be working its way into weeknight repertoire sooner rather than later. Congrats on making it to the final round of the Goodreads Choice Awards.

29 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you, Susan! I hope you love this soup when you get a chance to give it a try. :)

30 Chef Sous Chef November 24, 2016

This looks so good. I love the addition of the chard. Congrats on the Goodreads nomination.

31 Jane November 24, 2016

Just voted – best wishes for your success! I’m going to make this recipe this weekend. Can I use squash that was store bought, still raw but nicely cubed which is now living in my freezer.

Arlo – what a wee dote (an old I rish expression for someone you’d be doting on and how could you help not)🚼

32 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your support! Also, I love that phrase “a wee dote” too; I’ll have to throw it into a convo with our Irish relatives sometime and see if I impress them! haha. ;) I don’t see why frozen squash wouldn’t work, but I have to admit, I’ve never added frozen squash to a soup before! If you try it out, please let us know how it goes.

33 Kristi November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

As a mom of three, including one born the same week as Arlo, I’m glad you chose to slow down. Life is too fast and mental health is important too!!! Ive been a long time fan and love your cookbooks. My husband always teases me and says, is this recipe from your friend,Angela? I just felt like writing today to encourage you as a new mom and fellow “friend” in the food world!

34 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Aw, thank you so much for the kind, encouraging words, Kristi! Congratulations to you and your family on your new addition. :)

35 Izabella November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and loved it! Even my husband had seconds and is taking it for lunch tomorrow! Thank you!

36 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Oh, I’m so happy to hear it was a hit, Izabella! Enjoy the leftovers :)

37 Vilma November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

That’s a great meal for a cold winter evenings :) love it!

38 Lisa November 25, 2016

Angela congrats on new baby, and good for you slowing down and taking time to enjoy your little ones! This recipe looks wonderful. Do you think it would be as good with regular brown lentils. I wish you the best, and I’m going to vote!

39 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Lisa, thank you so much for the warm congrats! Red lentils are great in soups and stews because they break down when cooked, and help to thicken the broth. Brown lentils should work too though, but keep in mind they’ll retain their shape a bit more and alter the texture of the soup slightly. Please let me know what you think, if you give the swap a try!

40 Jane Ross November 25, 2016

Sent a response yesterday – have both your cookbooks, can I use frozen squash and what a lovely baby Arlo is – my post isn’t included with others dated yesterday. Did I not send it correctly? I thought I hit the submit button but maybe not.

41 Terri MacAleese November 25, 2016

Yay for stew and super YAY for the Android App. I cannot tell you how excited I am for the app. I totally feel I have been missing out. Like I knew about the party but was not invited. Love the video, the cookies look Delish!
This stew is going in my belly this weekend. I just have to get my hands on the light coconut milk.
Congrats on becoming a family of four.
You Rock Angela.

42 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

I hope you enjoy the stew this weekend, Terri! And I hope you absolutely LOVE the app once the Android version is ready. :)

43 Camille - Plaidandblueberries November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this for lunch today, my mom and I loved it ! Thank you for your amazing recipes!
And, of course, I voted :)

44 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Thank you for the support, Camille! I’m so thrilled you and your mom enjoyed the stew.

45 Tana Gilberstad November 25, 2016

ALWAYS love to read your stories – you’re one of the greatest story tellers today. Looking forward to the pulse pledge. Happy eating!

46 Marion November 25, 2016

I just got your new cookbook from the library. Had to wait a bit for it as it is so popular!
I love the sound of this recipe and am going to try it, but I have to comment on the pictures in your book (and the last book too) They are so amazing and yummy looking, you just want to try everything.
I am also impressed with the glass canning jars and other containers, bowls, glasses that you use, but especially the canning jars. I like the way they can stack (mason jars don’t always stack so well. May I ask where you got them? you should put that information in with your bibliography the way some magazines do. I got a set of dishes that I just loved that way from Eaton’s (going back awhile) because I saw them being used in a food presentation in a magazine. I believe it was Chatelaine!
Thanks very much and love the new book

47 Nicole November 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I love those “stackable” canning jars, too! I searched, found and purchased them at Crate and Barrel, they are called Weck jars if you are loving the same ones I am!

48 Emily November 25, 2016

Looks delicious- so nice to get an update. Will you be posting Arlo’s birth story? :)

49 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Hi Emily, thanks so much for the question! You can read Arlo’s birth story here. :)

50 Tally erp 9 tutorial November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

That looks too good to be true! 😯💕

51 Katie November 26, 2016

Can’t wait to try this! Because I’m lazy, do you think I could throw this in the crockpot?

52 Scarlet November 26, 2016

This looks great and the cilantro looks like a great flavor contrast to the sweetness of the squash and sweet potato. Yummy spice blend too!

53 Michelle November 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this recipe tonight as an after hike meal. The company I was with did not want to have any onion or garlic in the recipe so I gave it a try without those items and this recipe turned out wonderfully! Very creamy mouth feel and very satisfying over a bowl of brown rice. Very nicely done Angela. Another incredible recipe!

54 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Thanks for sharing, Michelle! I’m so happy it still turned out well without those spices. :)

55 Sue November 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thank you for another great recipe! I have both of your cookbooks and I love them both.

Oh, I voted! I’ll try and vote again tomorrow!

56 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Thanks so much for the support, Sue! I’m so happy you’re loving the cookbooks (and this stew!).

57 Why Become Vegan November 27, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I can say whole heatedly that you need to follow the tip of cutting the squash into almond sized pieces. I forgot to do that and had to cook it a lot longer and keeps testing it to see if it was done.

58 Courtney November 28, 2016

Angela this looks delicious! Could I leave the tomatos out? My lo is having acid reflux issues:-(

Also, I’m amazed at how you could have been writing my very own story…my sweet boy was born October 24th and we are also trying to soak it in! The minute we came home from the hospital we realized our little girl was not so little anymore. She is 2 years 5 months and bossy too😬. I seriously ugly cried a few times realizing how big she is and even though ADORING our sweet boy, missing all the sweet days I had with my sweet girl. I too had baby blues for a couple weeks so that didn’t help. Big sister loves brother and we love that! I’m just trying to survive as a mom so I can’t imagine how tired you must be! Hope you are doing well!

59 Charlene November 28, 2016

I made this on the weekend and it was fabulous.

60 Amanda - Create N Plate November 28, 2016

This looks so hearty and delicious! I’m so glad that you took the time to slow down and experience the special moments in your life. So precious!

61 Unicorn1933 November 28, 2016

Can I roast the sweet potatoe and butternut squash cubes and then add them to stew?

62 Christine Lacey November 29, 2016

Welcome back! We are glad to see you!

I am going to try this recipe on Thursday when I work from home. Now I’m at the office enjoying one of your lentil soups from the second cookbook. What is my afternoon snack, you ask? Why, it will be the chocolate chip cookie dough balls from the first cookbook.

Livin’ La Vida Oh She Glows Life!

63 Kimberly November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is amazing! My whole family loved it, even the toddlers. Loving your new book – voting now! Good luck!

64 Sara November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this yesterday and it was sooooo good! Everyone loved it…kids included!

65 Lori November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

My family and I tried this last night… sooo good, my two year old actually asked for seconds :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

66 Melissa November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I love love love your blog and I have been following it for years (especially during your pregnancy with Adriana, as I was just a couple of weeks behind you), but I have never once made anything. It all looks amazing and I have definitely been inspired, I am just not much for following recipes. But, my toddler and I are in a food rut and this recipe called out to me. I bought every ingredient (even though I never do that…I usually think, “eh…those five ingredients I don’t have can’t be that important”) and followed your instructions exactly. It was amazing. I probably won’t eat anything else until the whole batch is gone. I can’t wait to try more!

Congratulations on your little beauty, Arlo.

67 Deb November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Just cooked this for dinner! Everyone absolutely loved it. The chard and apple cider vinegar was just amazing in there. When the three year old and six year old down it fast you know it’s a winner!!

68 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

So true! I’m beyond happy to hear it was a hit with everyone :)

69 Teresa November 29, 2016

Hey Angela! I don’t know if you know this already, but your book made it into Chapters Christmas video/ad. :) https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/holiday-guide/
It makes my heart happy to see it there. We have both your book and your app, and your recipes are among our favourites.

Have a wonderful holiday season.

Teresa

70 Iga | Dietmap November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I have never seen a recipe mix ingrediens like this. Amazing! Im in love, thanks!

71 Meredith November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This was so delicious – I can’t wait to make it again!

72 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

Glad it was a hit, Meredith!! :)

73 Verena November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I replaced the sweet potato with a potato because I had no more sweet potaotes left and it was still sooo delicious!
Thank You for this great recipe!

74 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

Happy to hear you enjoyed the swap, Verena!

75 Martha November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is delicious. Made it for dinner tonight on a damp New England night. Used garlic, onion, sweet potato, butternut squash and chard from my CSA share. I opted for the chickpea variation and didn’t make the rice. This will be a regular in my home.

76 Ashley November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this for dinner tonight and it is baby approved! My 10 month old gobbled hers up before I got to sit down and eat mine :) I didn’t find it spicy at all! Next time I will definitely sub out lentils and try chickpeas. I didn’t have veggie stock so I just used water, and I’m pretty sure the coco milk I used wasn’t light, but it wasn’t too heavy at all. I did notice that the potatoes and squash were fork tender way before 30 min so I just reduced heat. Loved this so much, I will be adding it to our comforting and healthy soup rotation! Now to have a double chocolate one bowl cookie for dessert :)

77 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

So happy to hear it was a hit with everyone, Ashley — especially with your little one! :)

78 Jocelyn November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight. So easy and so good!

79 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Jocelyn! :)

80 Cindy December 1, 2016

Hey! This looks absolutely amazing. I love all the colours and the yummy ingredients! Can I use lentils AND chickpeas? How many servings does this make, Angela? :)

81 janine December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and it was delicious. A little soupy though, I think I will cut down on the liquid next time to two cups instead of three. The flavour was spectacular though. Oh the other thing is when I added the chard it wasn’t chopped finely enough. Next time I will do that too! Love it though and will make it again