Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5458

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5462

After my ambitious triple-blog-post week just after Arlo was born, I lost the motivation to write. I even had a few recipes and photos uploaded to my drafts folder, but I just couldn’t write the actual posts.

Knowing how fast this time goes by, I yearned to simply be present. I slowed down, which felt absolutely amazing. I worked when the inspiration was there and didn’t when it wasn’t. I soaked up our sweet baby boy. I savoured the confidence and ease of being a second-time mom (what a difference). A rollercoaster of hormones hit me early on, and I struggled with the blues on and off. I nursed and pumped and nursed some more. Eric and I mumbled incoherent words, back and forth, in the middle of the night (why is it so impossible to string words together at 3am?). I kissed Arlo’s head, cheeks, and feet a million and one times, and it has yet to feel like enough. I don’t think it ever will.

We witnessed Adriana transform into a little girl right before our very eyes. One night as I rocked her at bedtime—with her long legs falling off the side of the rocker, my arms burning under the weight of her body, and her bossy words instructing me what songs to sing and not to sing (“NO thank you, MOMMY!”)—it struck me that I was not cradling a baby anymore. I fought back tears. It had been a while since I rocked her, as my 3rd trimester bump had gotten in the way. Now she was basically a teenager disguised as a two-year-old.

Our basement renovation is almost wrapped up, so we’ve taken up dancing, the four of us, in the unfurnished rooms while listening to Christmas music. Adriana clutches her baby doll in her arms, just like I do with Arlo. We also play hide and seek. Often, the basement fun abruptly ends in tears as Adriana has a penchant for running into walls. Ouch. Boo-boos are kissed, and we explain, once again, why it’s a bit too soon for her to pick up her baby brother. So she hovers about an inch over his face, just trembling with excitement, sneaking in kisses. “He’s looking at you!” she yells with delight as he stares into her eyes.

I never want to forget these moments.

Even though I haven’t been writing as much, I’ve been cooking every chance that I get. A couple months ago, Pulse Canada contacted me about partnering with them to develop and share a recipe in celebration of the International Year of Pulses. If you can believe it, I’ve never created a sponsored recipe; most offers I’ve received didn’t feel like authentic reflections of me and the Oh She Glows brand. But pulses…well, I didn’t have to think twice. Peas, beans, lentils, and chickpeas? You know I’m down with that. As I’ve shared on the blog before, Canada is one of the world’s leading producers of pulses (in fact, we’re the #1 producer of peas and lentils, which I think is super cool). There are a whopping 22,000 pulse farmers in Canada (high fives), and our pulses are consumed in over 150 countries. (“Our pulses”? Okay, now I’m talking like I grew them myself or something!) On a personal level, I eat pulses every single day, and I adore their flavour and versatility. Red Lentil Hummus, Chickpea Pancakes, No Bake Chickpea Cookie Dough Bars (a recipe I never got around to finalizing!), Lentil-Walnut Taco “meat”…the sky’s the limit with what you can create!

Aside from being super nutritious and easy on the wallet, pulses are friendly to the environment, too. Their carbon footprint is lower than almost any other food group.

Pulse Canada has created the “Pulse Pledge” encouraging people to commit to eating pulses once a week for 10 weeks and reduce their carbon footprint all at the same time. It’s totally free, and you can sign up with me here. (Spoiler alert: I’m killing it, lol.)

A big thanks to Pulse Canada for sponsoring this post. I’m delighted to finally share my newest pulse-based stew recipe with you below!

A couple housekeeping notes:

Be sure to check out my Instagram post on Friday for some super exciting Black Friday news (hint hint: big app sale, a free holiday cookie app bundle, and Android news!).

Lastly, I’m thrilled to let you know that Oh She Glows Every Day has made it to the final round in the Goodreads Choice Awards. Thank you so much to everyone who has voted and helped to get the book this far! Voting for the final round is open through November 27th; if you’re game to cast one more virtual ballot (or maybe your first!), I would appreciate the support more than I can say. :)

image

veganstew

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5424

Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 59 reviews

Butternut squash, red lentils, and sweet potato are wrapped in a lightly sweet and creamy coconut and tomato broth accented with spicy notes of turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and garlic. Apple cider vinegar provides a tangy brightness to bring everything together. This stew tastes better the next day once the flavours have had a chance to mingle; if you can make it the day before serving, I’d highly recommend it! This recipe was created for Pulse Canada, and was inspired by Deliciously Ella.

Yield
11 cups (2.75 quarts)
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the stew:
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups/280 g)
  • 3 to 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups (400 g) peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash*
  • 1 large sweet potato (450 g), peeled and diced (2 1/2 cups/340 g)*
  • 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can light coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup (100 g) dried red lentils, rinsed**
  • 3 tablespoons (45 mL) tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more if you like heat
  • Fine sea salt, to taste (I use 1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt)
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 teaspoons (15 mL) apple cider vinegar, or to taste
  • 1 bunch chard, stemmed and finely chopped***
Optional accompaniments:
  • Fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
  • Cooked rice
  • Garlic powder and chili powder

Directions:

1. To a large pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
  2. Add the squash and sweet potato and stir to combine. Add a pinch of salt and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer.
  3. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with juices), coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. (If you are spice-shy, feel free to add half the amount to start and increase from there after cooking, to taste.) Stir well to combine.
  4. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, stir again, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash and potato are fork-tender. Reduce the heat if necessary.
  5. Add the apple cider vinegar to taste. Adjust the other seasonings if desired.
  6. Optional step: Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the stew for only 2 to 3 seconds (any more and you’ll blend too much of the veggies). This thickens the broth.
  7. Stir in the chard, and cook for another couple minutes until the greens are wilted.
  8. Scoop some cooked rice onto the bottom of a bowl and then ladle the stew overtop. Garnish with minced cilantro or parsley and a good dusting of garlic and chili powder, if desired.
  9. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, and they freeze beautifully too.

Tips:

* Make sure to dice the squash and potato very small (about the size of almonds), as this will expedite cooking. Also, if you are short on time, you can skip peeling the butternut squash as the skin is edible. (I don’t recommend skipping peeling the potato, though.)

** You can swap the red lentils for 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed).

*** You can swap the chard for 5 ounces of baby spinach or a bunch of kale (stemmed). I recommend chopping the greens into small bite-size pieces for easier eating.

cozybutternut-sweet-potato-red-lentil-stew-5455

1 Michael Blackman November 23, 2016

Hi looks like a really nice recipe BUT misleading because not in the “The Oh She Glows Cookbook.”

2 Ashley December 21, 2016

I don’t see how this is misleading. She never says this is in the cookbook. She simply references her cookbook in the post, she also mentions her baby in the post but I wouldn’t assume he comes in the cookbook simply because he’s mentioned in the post.

3 JUstin December 30, 2016

LMAO

4 Sherryn Adair January 2, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I think it is in the most recent cookbook? Also, I made this last night and O-M-G did it cure what ails me: an accumlated 2.5′ of snow, wisdom teeth removal recovery and a post-2016 hangover. I used the lite coconut milk but added just the cream from a refrigerated can of full fat coconut milk to make it creamier; today I added coconut aminos and it was the BOMB! Very healing, satisfying and prepping everything first made clean up a snap! Thanks, Angela.

5 Kassy | Enjoying Earth November 23, 2016

This recipe looks fabulous. I can certainly relate here– I love my peas, chickpeas, beans, and lentils. I end up throwing together a big bowl of steamed squash, sweet potatoes, lentils, and rice at least a few times a week this time of year, so spinning it all into a soup is such a fun new variation that I’m excited to try. Congratulations on your first sponsored post!
Thanks so much, Angela!

6 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you, Kassy!

7 gauri November 23, 2016

Hearty congrats on being in the finals and best luck :) Loved this recipe. Pulses are daily in meals at my home and this one looks very tempting to be tried out. Thank you :)

8 Bev November 23, 2016

Great recipe, cannot wait to try. All the best for the finals, I have voted again!

9 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for your support, Bev!

10 Bev December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This went down a treat on Sunday and all my guests remarked on how delicious it was! It will be a favourite for sure and made many times. Thank you Angela

11 Margaret November 23, 2016

Thanks for your post and reminder to vote for your cookbook (I did :-).I’m glad to hear you’ve been slowing down a bit and valuing the moments before they become memories. I don’t eat lentils enough, though I love your Ultimate Green Taco Wraps. I need to try this one, too.

12 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks so much for your support and kind word words, Margaret :)

13 Heather L November 23, 2016

Recipe look great! (And I voted!)

14 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you for the vote, Heather! :) I appreciate the support so much.

15 Melanie W November 23, 2016

Mmmm. I know what I’m making next week – I even have all the ingredients! I’d love to vote, but the book is on my Christmas list so sadly I don’t have it yet. I can say that your first book is the most heavily used out of my extensive collection! I can’t wait for the second one.
Enjoy the baby and the slowing down – we will be here when you show up!

16 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for your kind words, Melanie! I hope you love the new book when it arrives on Christmas morning, and that you enjoy the stew when you give it a try. :)

17 Jen November 23, 2016

Could I use chickpeas instead of red lentils?

18 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Jen, Yes, definitely! Please see my note at the bottom of the recipe for a chickpea tip. :) I hope you love the stew!

19 Jo November 23, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Tried this recipe tonight. We loved it!

20 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Jo!

21 Kate November 23, 2016

So glad to see you’re back! I just wanted to share how much my family and I are enjoying Oh She Glows Every Day. I ordered it the moment it was available to pre-order, and these last few months have really gotten me inspired for cooking again, largely because everything we’ve tried in your book has been such a success (most recently used recipes: 9-spice mix, pumpkin snacking cookies, dusted w/ confectioner’s sugar, and cabbage lentil soup — all in the last few days). After a couple years of limited time and energy, my love for cooking was waning. Your blog and book are such a delight. Your book is my go-to lately for meal planning and inspiration. Best to you and your family!

P.S. As an Android user, I’m hopeful that your app might be available soon too given your hint today!

22 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Oh, thanks so much for the heartfelt (and heartwarming!) comment, Kate. I’m so pleased to hear you and your family have been enjoying my new cookbook! :)

23 Mike November 24, 2016

I am feeling a bit under the weather and this looks so amazing and good. As someone who is a Vegan wow does this look tasty

24 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it! Sending you a ton of get well wishes, too. :)

25 Kati | black.white.vivid. November 24, 2016

This is such a beautiful recipe. And just voted too :) x Kati

26 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for the support, Kati! :)

27 Alma@ Freelance Content Writer November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Great dish, could not wait to attempt. All the most effective for the finals, I don’t eat lentils enough, though I enjoy your Ultimate Green Taco Wraps. I need to try this, as well.

28 Tori//Gringalicious.com November 24, 2016

This is so my kind of thing! Omg, I adore sweet potatoes with curry!

29 Karen November 24, 2016

This looks like such a great recipe! And congrats on the good news. Although I have missed your posts, I am so glad to hear that you have slowed down to enjoy the precious moments in your family. This of course is so important, so don’t worry about us over here! Enjoy this season. <3

30 Ruth November 24, 2016

Yay, I’ve been eyeing this on Snapchat!! I’m all for pulses, so the theme is awesome! I read a book called “The History of Beans” which I highly recommend to anyone who likes pulses.

Definitely voted, and definitely will be checking Insta tomorrow!!

31 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thanks for the support, Ruth!

32 Susan November 24, 2016

What a gorgeous stew! I’m a lentil addict, so this will be working its way into weeknight repertoire sooner rather than later. Congrats on making it to the final round of the Goodreads Choice Awards.

33 Angela Liddon November 24, 2016

Thank you, Susan! I hope you love this soup when you get a chance to give it a try. :)

34 Chef Sous Chef November 24, 2016

This looks so good. I love the addition of the chard. Congrats on the Goodreads nomination.

35 Jane November 24, 2016

Just voted – best wishes for your success! I’m going to make this recipe this weekend. Can I use squash that was store bought, still raw but nicely cubed which is now living in my freezer.

Arlo – what a wee dote (an old I rish expression for someone you’d be doting on and how could you help not)🚼

36 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your support! Also, I love that phrase “a wee dote” too; I’ll have to throw it into a convo with our Irish relatives sometime and see if I impress them! haha. ;) I don’t see why frozen squash wouldn’t work, but I have to admit, I’ve never added frozen squash to a soup before! If you try it out, please let us know how it goes.

37 Jane December 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I DID try the soup with the frozen squash but it occurred to me that adding frozen raw squash to the recipe at the beginning could make it more watery. So I put everything but the squash together and started cooking. I defrosted and cooked the squash by steaming it and added to the rest of the stew by checking what stage the sweet potatoes had reached – when they matched, in went the squash to pick up the lovely flavours. Worked out a charm and have just finished a bowl of it for lunch – delicious! Thanks for getting me to think outside the box.

Jane

38 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Wonderful!! Thanks for reporting back :)

39 Kristi November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

As a mom of three, including one born the same week as Arlo, I’m glad you chose to slow down. Life is too fast and mental health is important too!!! Ive been a long time fan and love your cookbooks. My husband always teases me and says, is this recipe from your friend,Angela? I just felt like writing today to encourage you as a new mom and fellow “friend” in the food world!

40 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Aw, thank you so much for the kind, encouraging words, Kristi! Congratulations to you and your family on your new addition. :)

41 Izabella November 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and loved it! Even my husband had seconds and is taking it for lunch tomorrow! Thank you!

42 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Oh, I’m so happy to hear it was a hit, Izabella! Enjoy the leftovers :)

43 Vilma November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

That’s a great meal for a cold winter evenings :) love it!

44 Lisa November 25, 2016

Angela congrats on new baby, and good for you slowing down and taking time to enjoy your little ones! This recipe looks wonderful. Do you think it would be as good with regular brown lentils. I wish you the best, and I’m going to vote!

45 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Hi Lisa, thank you so much for the warm congrats! Red lentils are great in soups and stews because they break down when cooked, and help to thicken the broth. Brown lentils should work too though, but keep in mind they’ll retain their shape a bit more and alter the texture of the soup slightly. Please let me know what you think, if you give the swap a try!

46 Jane Ross November 25, 2016

Sent a response yesterday – have both your cookbooks, can I use frozen squash and what a lovely baby Arlo is – my post isn’t included with others dated yesterday. Did I not send it correctly? I thought I hit the submit button but maybe not.

47 Terri MacAleese November 25, 2016

Yay for stew and super YAY for the Android App. I cannot tell you how excited I am for the app. I totally feel I have been missing out. Like I knew about the party but was not invited. Love the video, the cookies look Delish!
This stew is going in my belly this weekend. I just have to get my hands on the light coconut milk.
Congrats on becoming a family of four.
You Rock Angela.

48 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

I hope you enjoy the stew this weekend, Terri! And I hope you absolutely LOVE the app once the Android version is ready. :)

49 Camille - Plaidandblueberries November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this for lunch today, my mom and I loved it ! Thank you for your amazing recipes!
And, of course, I voted :)

50 Angela Liddon November 25, 2016

Thank you for the support, Camille! I’m so thrilled you and your mom enjoyed the stew.

51 Tana Gilberstad November 25, 2016

ALWAYS love to read your stories – you’re one of the greatest story tellers today. Looking forward to the pulse pledge. Happy eating!

52 Marion November 25, 2016

I just got your new cookbook from the library. Had to wait a bit for it as it is so popular!
I love the sound of this recipe and am going to try it, but I have to comment on the pictures in your book (and the last book too) They are so amazing and yummy looking, you just want to try everything.
I am also impressed with the glass canning jars and other containers, bowls, glasses that you use, but especially the canning jars. I like the way they can stack (mason jars don’t always stack so well. May I ask where you got them? you should put that information in with your bibliography the way some magazines do. I got a set of dishes that I just loved that way from Eaton’s (going back awhile) because I saw them being used in a food presentation in a magazine. I believe it was Chatelaine!
Thanks very much and love the new book

53 Nicole November 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I love those “stackable” canning jars, too! I searched, found and purchased them at Crate and Barrel, they are called Weck jars if you are loving the same ones I am!

54 Emily November 25, 2016

Looks delicious- so nice to get an update. Will you be posting Arlo’s birth story? :)

55 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Hi Emily, thanks so much for the question! You can read Arlo’s birth story here. :)

56 Tally erp 9 tutorial November 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

That looks too good to be true! 😯💕

57 Katie November 26, 2016

Can’t wait to try this! Because I’m lazy, do you think I could throw this in the crockpot?

58 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Hi Katie, I haven’t tried it in the crock pot myself, but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work! If you experiment, please report back–I’d love to know how it goes. I would probably attempt using the lowest heat setting to make sure it doesn’t dry out the first try. :)

59 Scarlet November 26, 2016

This looks great and the cilantro looks like a great flavor contrast to the sweetness of the squash and sweet potato. Yummy spice blend too!

60 La Fruta November 26, 2016

Sign me up for the newsletter

61 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Hi there! I’m so pleased to hear you’re interested in receiving our newsletter. You can sign up here: http://ohsheglows.com/newsletter/.

62 Michelle November 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this recipe tonight as an after hike meal. The company I was with did not want to have any onion or garlic in the recipe so I gave it a try without those items and this recipe turned out wonderfully! Very creamy mouth feel and very satisfying over a bowl of brown rice. Very nicely done Angela. Another incredible recipe!

63 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Thanks for sharing, Michelle! I’m so happy it still turned out well without those spices. :)

64 Sue November 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thank you for another great recipe! I have both of your cookbooks and I love them both.

Oh, I voted! I’ll try and vote again tomorrow!

65 Angela Liddon November 28, 2016

Thanks so much for the support, Sue! I’m so happy you’re loving the cookbooks (and this stew!).

66 Why Become Vegan November 27, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I can say whole heatedly that you need to follow the tip of cutting the squash into almond sized pieces. I forgot to do that and had to cook it a lot longer and keeps testing it to see if it was done.

67 Courtney November 28, 2016

Angela this looks delicious! Could I leave the tomatos out? My lo is having acid reflux issues:-(

Also, I’m amazed at how you could have been writing my very own story…my sweet boy was born October 24th and we are also trying to soak it in! The minute we came home from the hospital we realized our little girl was not so little anymore. She is 2 years 5 months and bossy too😬. I seriously ugly cried a few times realizing how big she is and even though ADORING our sweet boy, missing all the sweet days I had with my sweet girl. I too had baby blues for a couple weeks so that didn’t help. Big sister loves brother and we love that! I’m just trying to survive as a mom so I can’t imagine how tired you must be! Hope you are doing well!

68 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Hey Courtney, Congrats on your new baby boy! Yes, it’s all about survival right now..glad we’re not the only ones! ;) As for leaving out the soup you definitely can try it. I would probably add a bit more broth in its place. The tomatoes lend acidity to the soup so you might find that it needs a little “brightness” added back to it without them (such as more vinegar until it pops). Just add it slowly to taste and you should be fine! Or maybe you’ll enjoy the flavour without tweaking anything at all.

69 Charlene November 28, 2016

I made this on the weekend and it was fabulous.

70 Amanda - Create N Plate November 28, 2016

This looks so hearty and delicious! I’m so glad that you took the time to slow down and experience the special moments in your life. So precious!

71 Unicorn1933 November 28, 2016

Can I roast the sweet potatoe and butternut squash cubes and then add them to stew?

72 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Oh, I think that would add a really lovely smoky flavour to the soup. Let me know how it goes if you try it out!

73 Christine Lacey November 29, 2016

Welcome back! We are glad to see you!

I am going to try this recipe on Thursday when I work from home. Now I’m at the office enjoying one of your lentil soups from the second cookbook. What is my afternoon snack, you ask? Why, it will be the chocolate chip cookie dough balls from the first cookbook.

Livin’ La Vida Oh She Glows Life!

74 Kimberly November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is amazing! My whole family loved it, even the toddlers. Loving your new book – voting now! Good luck!

75 Sara November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this yesterday and it was sooooo good! Everyone loved it…kids included!

76 Lori November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

My family and I tried this last night… sooo good, my two year old actually asked for seconds :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

77 Melissa November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I love love love your blog and I have been following it for years (especially during your pregnancy with Adriana, as I was just a couple of weeks behind you), but I have never once made anything. It all looks amazing and I have definitely been inspired, I am just not much for following recipes. But, my toddler and I are in a food rut and this recipe called out to me. I bought every ingredient (even though I never do that…I usually think, “eh…those five ingredients I don’t have can’t be that important”) and followed your instructions exactly. It was amazing. I probably won’t eat anything else until the whole batch is gone. I can’t wait to try more!

Congratulations on your little beauty, Arlo.

78 Deb November 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Just cooked this for dinner! Everyone absolutely loved it. The chard and apple cider vinegar was just amazing in there. When the three year old and six year old down it fast you know it’s a winner!!

79 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

So true! I’m beyond happy to hear it was a hit with everyone :)

80 Teresa November 29, 2016

Hey Angela! I don’t know if you know this already, but your book made it into Chapters Christmas video/ad. :) https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/holiday-guide/
It makes my heart happy to see it there. We have both your book and your app, and your recipes are among our favourites.

Have a wonderful holiday season.

Teresa

81 Angela Liddon December 16, 2016

Hi Teresa, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me this sweet message and let me know about the Chapters holiday guide! (That makes MY heart happy!) I’m wishing you and your family all the best of the holiday season. :)

82 Iga | Dietmap November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I have never seen a recipe mix ingrediens like this. Amazing! Im in love, thanks!

83 Meredith November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This was so delicious – I can’t wait to make it again!

84 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

Glad it was a hit, Meredith!! :)

85 Verena November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I replaced the sweet potato with a potato because I had no more sweet potaotes left and it was still sooo delicious!
Thank You for this great recipe!

86 Angela Liddon November 30, 2016

Happy to hear you enjoyed the swap, Verena!

87 Survivor November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Hi I was wondering if any of your recipes can be made medicated? And which one would you recommend? Do you have a favorite recipe that I could convert. Either butter or coconut oil would work for me on the medicated part🍁. I have a mmj card for Cancer ALL Luekemia. Thank you in advance

88 Martha November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is delicious. Made it for dinner tonight on a damp New England night. Used garlic, onion, sweet potato, butternut squash and chard from my CSA share. I opted for the chickpea variation and didn’t make the rice. This will be a regular in my home.

89 Ashley November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this for dinner tonight and it is baby approved! My 10 month old gobbled hers up before I got to sit down and eat mine :) I didn’t find it spicy at all! Next time I will definitely sub out lentils and try chickpeas. I didn’t have veggie stock so I just used water, and I’m pretty sure the coco milk I used wasn’t light, but it wasn’t too heavy at all. I did notice that the potatoes and squash were fork tender way before 30 min so I just reduced heat. Loved this so much, I will be adding it to our comforting and healthy soup rotation! Now to have a double chocolate one bowl cookie for dessert :)

90 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

So happy to hear it was a hit with everyone, Ashley — especially with your little one! :)

91 Jocelyn November 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight. So easy and so good!

92 Angela Liddon December 1, 2016

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Jocelyn! :)

93 Cindy December 1, 2016

Hey! This looks absolutely amazing. I love all the colours and the yummy ingredients! Can I use lentils AND chickpeas? How many servings does this make, Angela? :)

94 Angela Liddon December 5, 2016

Hey Cindy, You could definitely swap the lentils for chickpeas (see bottom of the recipe for tips on that!) or use a combo of the two. Go wild! :) Soups are so forgiving. The recipe as written makes 11 cups, so I would say it serves 5 (I usually allot 2 cups per bowl).

95 janine December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and it was delicious. A little soupy though, I think I will cut down on the liquid next time to two cups instead of three. The flavour was spectacular though. Oh the other thing is when I added the chard it wasn’t chopped finely enough. Next time I will do that too! Love it though and will make it again

96 Cindy December 5, 2016

Great tip about adding a little less liquid. I like things more stew-y than broth-y so I will follow that suggestion!

97 janine December 5, 2016

It was not as liquidy the next day

98 Samantha Allen December 1, 2016

You just saved my dinner! I am 38+ weeks pregnant and having a weird afternoon. I was going to order out but decided to check your website. Thank you! It was amazing. My children loved it. Not too hot and not too spicy. Your recipes that we have tried have all been a hit!

99 Merk December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! I decided on spinach instead of chard, because I had a box of chopped, frozen spinach in the freezer, and chard is selling for $3/bunch even just at the big box grocery stores here.

Although I found it adequately stew-like as it was, I did blitz it for a few seconds to get it thicker.

100 Kamala December 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is a very south Indian vegeterian recipe. Meaning that lentils are regularly mixed with greens and veggies in south Indian cuisine for the daily dose of protein.

101 sheryl Hertel December 2, 2016

Great Recipe!! I won’t lie. I forgot I did not have turmeric or cayenne but it was STILL delicious! I made ground turkey on the side for my husband and he loved it as well.

I used spinach and it worked perfectly!

102 Randi December 2, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely beyond delicious. With rice, even my husband loved it. And leftovers are even more amazing. Next day it thickens up to a glorious eating experience. Well done!

103 Laurie in BC December 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

As I write my 13-month old baby is asleep and this stew is simmering on the stove. I’m saddly a single mum; however, I’m glad to write that I used fresh squash from my local, loving food bank, as well as a can of chick peas and a can of coconut milk from there too! The can of diced tomatoes that I used was a jar I canned myself this autumn with organic tomatoes that a farmer gave me. (He didn’t just give me the tomatoes, he brought a whole box of tomatoes right to my door along with jars for canning! I couldn’t believe this act of kindness!) Unfortunately, there weren’t any sweet potatoes available at the grocery store, so I used a yam instead. (Next time, please add a kid-friendly idea. Thanks.)

104 Brooke December 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Great flavor! Seems as though two cups of broth would have been enough though. It’s a bit watery.

105 Neen December 3, 2016

Hey Angela! Just wondering if it would be okay to leave out the coconut milk? I’m not a fan of coconut anything. Could it be substituted for something else? Loving these warm fall recipes!

106 Rana Quadri December 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is incredible! Thank you so much for the recipe.

107 Kathy December 4, 2016

It’s a cold, rainy day here, and this stew hit the spot! I just realized that I omitted the tomato paste by accident, but it still turned out great. And, best of all, my usually skeptical boys tasted it and even asked for seconds! Thank you for another great recipe.

108 Denise December 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I loved this recipe. I used my immersion blender as you suggested and it gave it a great consistency. Can’t wait for leftovers!

109 Erika December 5, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and boy was it easy AND delicious (win!). I love the cumin-turmeric-chili spice combo. Definitely comforting. Another OSG success =)

110 Savita @ Chefdehome December 5, 2016

I love my lentils and crazy for spices. this stew loaded with veggies is sure calling my name. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Can’t wait to try this and of course your book too!

111 Lizzie December 6, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this on the weekend and it was a hit with the entire family–including the 6 year old. I used frozen butternut squash (President’s Choice brand) and it worked out fine! I subbed kale instead of chard—and I always put a stick of celery in my soups/stews, so that went in, too. I used a 28oz can of diced tomatoes because I could not abide putting half the can in my tiny fridge–just added an extra tablespoon or two of paste to compensate and it was great! The flavours were lovely and mild–my husband loved the bright “tang” that the cider vinegar lends to the dish. I’m getting three meals’ worth out of the recipe (froze a batch and the left-overs gave us meal #2). A+

112 Christine December 7, 2016

Making this right now. Flavors are lovely but just 1/2 cup of lentils? I know they’ll bulk up when they cook but it still doesn’t seem like enough.

113 Frank Kristopoulos December 8, 2016

Just read your recipe and it is awesome. I could not wait to taste. I always love to read yours stories. I will prepare this tonight. Whereas it is not more heavy dish so basically me, my family any other persons mostly favor your recipe. Thanks for your sharing recipe and always share your recipe with people.

114 Angela Liddon December 8, 2016

I hope you enjoy it, Frank!

115 Leah December 8, 2016

Hi, I made this for dinner last night. DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe.

116 Angela Liddon December 8, 2016

Hi there Leah, I’m glad you enjoyed the stew!

117 Ranee Franti December 9, 2016

This is such a beautiful recipe. I have been following your blog page for many years. I read your recipe lest week and I wanted to surprise to my sweet baby who is now 14 years old. His birthday was on 7th December. So basically I cooked for him and also my family. So I can’t believe me that they are really tell me that it is awesome. So that time and now I am sooooo happy and I want to thank you for sharing this recipe.

118 Rosenoisettes December 9, 2016

This stew seems so very comforting and flavourful, I love it !

119 kimberly December 9, 2016

Can these be made in a crockpot?

120 Angela Liddon December 16, 2016

Hi Kimberly, Yes, I tested this recently, and the stew works great in the crockpot! I just threw everything in except the greens, and cooked it on high, covered, for 4 hours, followed by 1.5 hours on high uncovered. Then, I used the immersion blender very briefly to thicken it into a stew texture, and added the greens at the very end.

121 Kimberly December 16, 2016

Great! Thank you so much! Definitely going to try it. I love using my crockpot in these cold months.

122 Brittany December 11, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Just tried this for dinner this weekend and it was delicious!! Thanks for the recipe, Angela!

123 Emily December 12, 2016
Recipe Rating:

My 20 month old ate it. 5 stars.

(I make a few meals a week, try different things, and she rarely eats anything I cook. She’s picky. When a meal makes the mark — I’m in SINCERE gratitude!!)

124 Victoria Taylor December 13, 2016

Hi Angela,

This time of year brings out some of the most lovely veggies. What a great way to mix the season together. I enjoy this even in warm Miami. Thank you for sharing! Best of luck.
Victoria

125 Val Graves December 13, 2016

This looks so good. I think I’ll make it tomorrow for dinner. We are having guests over so this will be perfect. How would you go about making this in the crockpot?

126 Hannah December 13, 2016
Recipe Rating:

What a delicious, satisfying meal this made (plus a snack, plus standing at the fridge inhaling it cold.) I found the level of spice perfect for my family. My 2-year old asked for seconds, even! I will be making this again soon.

127 Maria December 14, 2016

Heerlijk gerecht! Delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing, Angela <3

128 Catherine December 14, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is a delicious recipe! I will certainly be making this again and again. :)

129 Angela Liddon December 14, 2016

So glad to hear you liked it, Catherine!

130 Lucy December 14, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Hi, Angela! This recipe is honestly incredible! I have never commented before but have been following you for the longest time. Your recipes have been such a life saver for me because of several food intolerances plus my family love them too!

131 Angela Liddon December 14, 2016

Aw, thanks so much for leaving this comment, Lucy! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe so much, and also that my other recipes have been a hit with both you and the fam. :)

132 Bethany December 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I stumbled on this recipe trying to find a last minute dinner idea with ingredients we already had on hand. What a gold mine of a find! Absolutely delicious. We made a large pot full and ate off of it for days and were heartbroken when the pot was empty ;) This was delicious, hearty, tasty, and un-complicated. Thank you for sharing!

133 Erin December 15, 2016

Just made this tonight! My husband and I love it! Definitely will be in our list of favorites!

134 Emilie M. December 18, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was mind-blowingly good! I’m trying to return to veganism after a long time away, and recipes like these fill my need for meaty, hearty winter dishes. Thank you so much for all that you do!

135 Angela Liddon December 19, 2016

Aw, thanks so much for the kind words, Emilie! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe. If you try another of mine, I hope you love it just as much!

136 Tara December 18, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I tried this tonight and both my husband and I loved it. It’s a new favourite and we’ll be making it again. It’s very flavourful and savoury, perfect for a cold night! We used baby kale and spinach. I did find that the prep took longer than expected, though.

137 Angela Liddon December 19, 2016

I’m so glad you both enjoyed it, Tara! We can’t get enough, and it’s definitely a new favourite around here too. Hope you stay warm out there! :)

138 Nita December 18, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Wow! Made this tonight. It’s fantastic! We are not vegan but making an effort to trend toward vegan. I’m constantly impressed by your recipes and looking forward to trying all of the ones on your newest app I downloaded.

139 Angela Liddon December 19, 2016

Thank you so much for your support, Nita! I hope you LOVE the app, and the recipes you try from it, of course! :)

140 Staci December 20, 2016

How can I adapt this for a slow cooker?

141 Angela Liddon December 20, 2016

Hi Staci, I tested this recently, and I just threw everything in except the greens and cooked it on high, covered, for 4 hours, followed by 1.5 hours on high UNcovered. Then, I used the immersion blender very briefly to thicken it into a stew texture, and added the greens at the very end. Hope this helps!

142 Christine December 20, 2016

This was ridiculously good! I used chickpeas instead of lentils and served with Jasmine rice. Oh my! Angela, your recipes have never failed me. Just WOW! I just ordered your first book as a gift for my mother (I own it of course!) and your second book as a gift for me :)

143 Angela Liddon December 20, 2016

Hi Christine, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the stew! I hope your mother loves the cookbook (and that you love your new one!). I’m sending you both warm holiday wishes! :)

144 Kristen December 21, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this a few weeks back and it was delicious. It made a lot so I froze it. I am serving the rest tonight. It froze beautifully and will be perfect for this chilly night.

145 Angela Liddon December 22, 2016

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the stew, Kristen. Hope it helps keep you warm!

146 Susie December 23, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This stew is AMAZING. If anyone is wondering about using a slow cooker, I threw everything into the crock pot and let it cook on high for 3-3.5 hours and it came out beautifully. I could not get over how delicious it was; definitely my new favorite cold-weather recipe.

147 Angela Liddon December 23, 2016

I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Susie! :)

148 Patricia December 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Loved this recipe — have made it twice now. Interesting taste note: I prefer to have only 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar instead of 2 or 3 — I like the sweeter taste.

149 Brooke December 27, 2016

Angela

This recipe looks delicious! Can you use green lentils instead of red?

150 Angela Liddon December 28, 2016

Hi Brooke, Yes, you can! Just keep in mind that green lentils will retain their shape a bit more than the red lentils, which break down when cooked and help to thicken the broth a little, so the texture of the soup will be altered slightly. Please let me know what you think, if you give the swap a try!

151 Rae December 27, 2016

This looks absolutely delicious and I think I even have almost all of the ingredients needed to make this! My family is currently staying with me for a visit so I am seriously considering making this for dinner this week!

Rae | Love from Berlin

152 Angela Liddon December 28, 2016

If you give the stew a try, I hope everyone loves it, Rae! I know we can’t get enough of in my household. :D

153 pauline December 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

this recipe is fabulous.. my hubby and I ate it over a bowl of angel hair pasta. thank you for sharing this recipe. :)

154 Angela Liddon December 28, 2016

Hi Pauline, I’m glad you and husband enjoyed the stew!

155 Love Alongside Nutrition December 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

That was one of the best recipes I have ever made for my family. Yum, yum, yum!

156 Ozum December 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I am writing this review while eating this stew and oh it’s soo good on a cold chilly day… I added red curry paste, soy sauce, lemon juice and curry powder. I also used spinach instead of chard. Thank you!

157 Diane December 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this a couple of nights ago and we loved it!! Only thing I changed is I used half the cumin as my husband and I aren’t big on cumin. I wasn’t sure what to expect but everything I’ve tried of yours so far has been a hit so I gave it a go, glad we did! And you’re right, its even better the next day as the flavors melded together. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into your work, it is very much appreciated!!

158 Barbara December 30, 2016

I am making now. It’s all in the pot simmering. It smells absolutely fantastic! If I could make one suggestion, it would be to revise the list of ingredients so that you include the size of the butternut squash and sweet potato pieces right in the list, rather than below the recipe instructions. I missed it and I did my best to go back and re-chop things, but I know it’s not all almond size shaped. Thanks!

159 Amanda Bettess January 2, 2017

I love this! Made it last week and froze half… looking forward to those leftovers for my work lunches this week! This recipe is so unique in flavor, and it’s addicting! And I’m so glad to see the crockpot directions! That will make a perfect cozy lunch to come home to after church. Thanks for this Angela. I’m a huge fan of your blog and books. Happy New Year!

160 Angela Liddon January 3, 2017

Happy New Year, Amanda! I’m so happy you’re loving the stew recipe…enjoy those leftover lunches. :)

161 Priyanka | The Last Cookie January 3, 2017

I love stews this time of the year and this one looks and sounds so delicious! Love all the spices you’ve used.

162 Angela Liddon January 3, 2017

I agree, stews are just so perfect in the winter months! If you give this one a try, I hope you enjoy it, Priyanka. :)

163 Mandy January 3, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I’m eating this now and it’s amazing. Mmmmmm!

164 Angela Liddon January 3, 2017

Yum! Enjoy ;)

165 Grace January 3, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this over the holidays for my half vegan and half non vegan family and it was a big hit! The flavors are spot on and it definitely hit the spot on a cold winter night. This will be in my family’s rotation from now on. Aside from subbing the chard for kale, I followed the recipe exactly and it was simple and easy to prepare. Winner!

Angela – I would love to see crockpot recipes from you! ;)

166 Angela Liddon January 4, 2017

So glad to hear it hit the spot for everyone, Grace! It’s definitely a perfect winter dish to keep you warm. :)

167 Mazzy January 5, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made this last night – it was absolutely divine and perfect for a rainy winter evening.

168 Angela Liddon January 5, 2017

I’m glad this stew hit the spot, Mazzy! Hope you stay dry and warm out there.

169 Amy January 5, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and it is going in my “keeper” folder. Really delicious. I only made two changes. First, I added ½ tsp. curry powder, just because my family likes curry.

Second, I changed a couple of steps in the recipe– I added the spices to the onions after they were soft and let them “bloom” while continually stirring. Then I added the tomato paste, stirring briefly before before adding the squash and potatoes. This helped the tomato paste develop a deeper and less-raw flavor. I do these steps every time I make a dish like this and it always helps to bring a richness and depth to the food.

As always, Angela, your recipes are a hit in my house. Thanks for all you do to share this great food with us! :)

170 Angela Liddon January 6, 2017

Thanks so much for sharing those great tweaks, Amy! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. :)

171 Garage Gym Planner January 6, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This is a perfect recipe for me to try with sweet potato :)
Thanks for sharing.

172 Christina January 6, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and it was a hit with the whole family (including my kids of 3 & 1). I followed the recipe exactly but left out the chili powder to avoid it being too spicy for the kids. It was still delicious for all and perfect for the freezing weather we have here at the moment. Thanks again for another delicious recipe & happy new year!

173 Madeline January 6, 2017

Great post! Super cute and heart-warming. Almost made me cry haha! :) Looking forward to making this tomorrow for some hungry apres-skiers, <3

174 Heather January 7, 2017

Hi! Thank you so much for all your recipes–I’m a big fan! I received your newest cookbook for Christmas and continually suggest your recipes to vegan and non-vegans! Yesterday I made your muffin tops from new cookbook-so quick and easy! I also made your banana protein granola bars which I freeze for on the go breakfast–one of my faves! Quick question for this one- I have seen in comments where you suggest cooking in Crock Pot on high for around 4 hours then uncovered for additional time. The other day I saw on Instagram stories you did double batch overnight on low for 12 hours. Do you prefer one method over other? Does either have a better taste? Also this may be silly question but should I saute onion and garlic before putting in crock pot? Thanks for your help!

175 Ashley January 7, 2017

It came out a little more like soup instead of stew. I used the immersion blender but I’mnot sure where I went wrong. Still delicious!

176 Teresa January 8, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was delicious! It reminded my husband and I of butter chicken.

177 Kelly January 9, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made this on the weekend. Delicious.

178 Angela Liddon January 9, 2017

Glad to hear you liked it, Kelly!!

179 Sharon Chumm January 9, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela, I just finished making this recipe, it is so good! The only change I made was to add a little more cayenne pepper. This is a keeper, a real awesome comfort food! Thank you so much, I love your recipes. Thanks, Sharon

180 Angela Liddon January 10, 2017

Hi Sharon, thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I’m so happy the soup was a hit.

181 Jennifer January 9, 2017
Recipe Rating:

My whole family loved this recipe – even my husband who tends to find butternut + sweet potatoes a little too sweet and cloying for his taste. The way the red lentils and coconut milk combine to thicken the stew is genius. I used a potato masher instead of my immersion blender to smash up the ingredients a bit, I find that makes it easier to not over-purée. Topped it off with a dollop of plain Greek yoghurt. YUM!!!

182 Angela Liddon January 10, 2017

It’s so great to hear the stew was a hit with everyone, Jennifer! Using a masher is such a great idea, too.

183 Nancy January 10, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely Delicious! I was a little sceptical, but made it for dinner, as I wanted to try a plant based meal. Everyone loved it! This recipe is a keeper! Can’t wait to try more recipes from the cookbook!

184 Angela Liddon January 11, 2017

Oh, I’m so happy to hear this stew won you over, Nancy! I hope you love whatever recipe you try next just as much.

185 Colleen January 10, 2017

So this is the first recipe I have ever tried and although I have experimented w/one vegan recipe from another source – I don’t recall it as enjoyable. Well this one is definitely where I should have come. Fed this to me, my husband and my daughter… this recipe is unbelievably good. Only change I made was to add the heat to taste… thank you for advising that. So good!

186 Angela Liddon January 11, 2017

I’m so happy to hear it was a hit, Colleen! I hope if you try another of my recipes, you love it just as much. :)

187 Lauren R January 10, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Hey, I’m a big fan of your books, blog and app. Made this tonight. It was amazing and had a perfect little kick to it. Thanks for posting!! Can’t wait to freeze some and have it in a few weeks as well!!

188 Melissa January 11, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Insanely delicious. Don’t hesitate. Just make it. And then make it again.

189 Whitney B January 14, 2017

This looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it! Based on your recent Snapchats, it looks like you use your slow cooker to make this as well? What are the instructions for making this stew in the slow cooker?

190 Angela Liddon January 18, 2017

Hi Whitney, I just threw everything into the slow cooker except the greens and cooked it covered on high for 4 hours, followed by 1.5 hours on high UNcovered. Then, I very briefly used the immersion blender to thicken it into a stew texture, and added the greens at the very end. Hope this helps!

191 Whitney Bekkers January 21, 2017

Thank you, Angela!

192 Bridget January 15, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made it for a potluck. It was a hit. So yummy! I used full fat coconut milk ;)

193 Talya January 18, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made this last night and it was delicious! I roasted the butternut squash first just for fun and it was great. Thank you for the recipe!

194 Angela Liddon January 19, 2017

So glad you enjoyed it, Talya!

195 Janet January 20, 2017

I stumbled on this recipe and looks great except of the Coconut milk, nowadays healthy cooking has a lot of Coconut/coconut milk product in it. I am highly allergic, what would be a good substitute? I have been using almond milk.

196 Angela Liddon February 1, 2017

Hi Janet, I haven’t tested any swaps for the coconut milk yet, but you can definitely try almond milk. I think cashew milk might lend a nice creaminess too. I’m sure it goes without saying but be sure to use unflavoured (no vanilla) and unsweetened milk. Another thing you could try is using half almond milk and half cashew cream (blend soaked cashews with water until smooth). Please let us know if you try anything out!

197 Michelle January 22, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this for a family potluck. It was a huge hit! I had 3-4 people ask for the recipe (so I directed them here!). I’ve made it a few times since too. It is delicious, nutritious, and pretty easy to make. My boys (3 and 1) liked it (even the time I forgot to cut back the heat for them).

198 Angela Liddon January 23, 2017

Oh, I’m so pleased to hear everyone loved it! Grinning ear to hear over here. :)

199 Tonya A January 22, 2017
Recipe Rating:

What FABULOUS stew – it was positively delicious and so warming on a dark and dreary winter’s day. I made one change – I substituted Penzey’s “Now Curry” spice blend as it had all of the spices listed in the recipe, plus my favorite fenugreek and cardamom. It was a big hit – even for the non-vegans in my family! Definitely going into my recipe rotation.

200 Angela Liddon January 23, 2017

What a great idea, Tonya! I’m so glad the recipe was such a hit with everyone. Keep warm out there!

201 Emily January 22, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made it tonight – so delicious and easy! Perfect for a chilly NYC evening. We had it with brown rice on the side and cilantro on top. Can’t wait to eat the leftovers – I’m sure this will get even more delicious the next day. Thanks for the great recipe!

202 Angela Liddon January 23, 2017

I’m glad it was a hit, Emily! This stew has definitely become one of our faves for chilly winter nights. :)

203 Ariel January 23, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This is a fantastic recipe! I swapped the lentils for canned chickpeas in the last ~10 mins of cooking and used baby spinach because that’s what I had. Served over white rice. A perfect, nourishing meal that I will be making again.

204 Heidi Wolff January 24, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this recipe without any of the tomato products. Best soup ever!

205 Melanie January 30, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Yummy recipe! I used my Instapot pressure cooker; it worked great.

206 Andrea January 30, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Hate to admit this on your website…but I am a meat eater. I have followed this website over the years and incorporated some of the recipes to spice it up and add meatless options to my diet. I made this recipe over the weekend because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand and it was delicious and incredibly satisfying. Just what I needed on a cold January day.

207 Caroline Edwards February 2, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely delicious- thanks for the recipe.

208 Sarah February 3, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This was so tasty and quick to make. I had a good friend over last night who loved it and filled up her Pyrex for lunch today. This was my first recipe from your blog (I am new to vegan cooking) and I can’t wait to try more this weekend and share this with my friends and family. Thank you!!!

209 Angela Liddon February 3, 2017

Oh, I’m so happy to hear you both enjoyed the recipe, Sarah! I hope you love whatever recipes you try this weekend just as much. :)

210 Morgan February 4, 2017

I was cooking up a storm tonight and only just realized that I was making 2 of your recipes simultaneously without realizing! Your chana masala is my go-to work fuel lunch, and I’m loving this soup for snowy days. I’m a meat & dairy eater but it’s so nice to find yummy vegan recipes to supplement my diet. Thanks!

211 Gina February 7, 2017

I found your recipe on http://www.soulemama.com. I am trying your recipe tonight! So excited!

Mind if I ask what kind of wooden soup bowls you are using? They are beautiful!

Thanks!

Gina

212 Angela Liddon February 15, 2017

Thank you Gina! The bowls were purchased second hand, so I’m sorry I don’t know where they were from originally. I hope you enjoy the soup!

213 Michelle Gillespie February 9, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This was delicious. Both my husband and I loved it. The only changes I made was to add minced ginger in with the garlic, used chicken broth because that’s what I had on hand and used Mae Ploy Yellow Curry Paste for a Thai/Indian fusion. This is now my favorite curry!

214 Rachel Potter February 9, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Just made this last night and it came out amazing! Very easy and delicious soup recipe.

215 Rachael Soules February 9, 2017

We LOVED this recipe. I left out the diced tomatoes and the chili powder because i didn’t have any, and it was still amazing. A great winter comfort food dish!

216 Erika February 14, 2017

This recipe is so delicious and ignited my obsession with turmeric! After making this stew 3 times in a month, I really wanted to share the recipe with others, so I recently blogged about it on A Healthier Upstate (https://www.ahealthierupstate.org/hidden-gems/hidden-gems-turmeric/) – a health and wellness blog for the upstate New York community. I wanted to thank you for inspiring this story!

217 Angela Liddon February 14, 2017

Thanks so much for your kind words and lovely post, Erika! :) I’m so thrilled you loved the soup.

218 Carol February 17, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This is delicious! Thank you!