Friday FAQs: What to serve with vegan Caesar salad, subs for cashews, nutritional info for #osgeveryday, and more

potatoandblackbeannachos-3286

Mid-September already! Can you believe it? This week has been quite an adventure. From thinking I was in labour yesterday (and maybe freaking out just a little) to the renovation mayhem, I’m certainly hoping for a relaxing weekend. Today is a full moon eclipse though, so we’re on high alert. *insert suspicious eyes emoticon*

Before getting to today’s Friday FAQs, I’d love to pass along this week’s roundup of #osgeveryday blog tour posts (last week’s can be found here). Once again, a big thanks to these awesome bloggers for all their support. Be sure to check out the links below for recipe sneak peeks, giveaways, and fun Q+A’s!

And last but not least, I’m winding down Friday FAQs until October as I gear up for baby’s arrival. Please keep your questions coming, though, as we’ll be plugging away at future FAQs!

Q1. This Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad looks delicious! I’m having people over for dinner Sunday and will definitely try it. It looks like it’s probably not big enough to be a stand alone entrée though. What would you recommend as a gluten-free accompaniment or entrée to go with it?

A. Hi Christina, So happy to hear that you’re going to try out this salad. I definitely have some suggestions for you! Soup and salad is always a classic pairing, and some gluten-free/gluten-free-option soups that I think would make particularly great accompaniments to the Vegan Caesar Salad include my Summer Harvest Tortilla Soup (The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 135), 10-Spice Vegetable Soup, and Cream of Tomato Soup (The OSG Cookbook, p. 141). My Favourite Vegan Chili would also work well—caesar salad and chili were always served together in my house growing up. Another lighter pairing option I’d recommend is my Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli. For entrées, you could again go the classic route and serve the salad as a pasta accompaniment (for a killer tomato sauce recipe, I highly recommend my Fail-Proof Marinara Sauce, p. 175 of Oh She Glows Every Day) topped with my Cashew or Pepita Vegan Parmesan (OSG Every Day, p. 267).

Q2. Hi @ohsheglows, 1. If subbing sunflower seeds for cashew in cream sauce, is the process the same? And 2., would you recommend the sub in your All-Purpose Cheese Sauce (OSG Every Day, p. 251)? Husband can’t eat cashews.

A. Hi Kate, Yes, I’d say that the process is the same for making sunflower seed cream as it is for making cashew cream! The only difference is that you’ll need to use a bit less of the sunflower seeds (so if, for example, you’re making my Golden French Lentil Stew [OSG Every Day, p. 145], instead of blending 1/2 cup of pre-soaked raw cashews with 1/2 cup of water, I’ve found that you’ll only need 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of pre-soaked raw sunflower seeds). I haven’t tried substituting sunflower seeds for cashews in the All-Purpose Cheese Sauce yet. I think it would likely impact the flavour, though, so for a nut-free version I’d recommend simply omitting the cashews since the recipe only calls for a small amount. While the sauce won’t be quite as rich, it’ll still taste great. If you decide to experiment with swapping in sunflower seeds, please let me know how it goes! I’d love to hear how it turns out.

Q3.  Hi Angela, I got your beautiful new book at the store, how exciting! I noticed the note in it that says nutritional information is listed on your website. Can you please point me to where to find it for the recipes in the book? Thanks!

A. Hey Jessie, Certainly! The nutritional info can be found here (a PDF will open). Just in case you misplace it, you can also find the link on page xiii of Oh She Glows Every Day under the “Nutritional Information” heading. I hope this helps!

Q4. These burgers look delicious and I can’t wait to try them! My husband doesn’t tolerate black beans very well, though. Is there another type of bean that I could try in this recipe? I’ve ordered your new cookbook and I’m counting the days until it arrives!

A. Hi Jane, I do think you could use another type of bean—kidney or cannellini beans come to mind as good options (although I have yet to try them out!). Please let us know if you try anything out and thanks for all your support!

Comment of the week:

“Love your new Oh She Glows Everyday! First recipe I tried was the Ultimate Flourless Brownies. Secretly, I could not imagine you possibly topping your previous recipe in your first cookbook! Wow! Was I mistaken! Amazingly delicious! Unfortunately, I ran out of cocoa to make a second batch (we are a family of 4) and had to improvise with the second batch using cacao powder. It turned out to be so delicious, very deep in flavor and not as sweet. I had my family, sister-in-law and niece try both brownies for a head-to-head taste test, and they love both brownies for different reasons. Wow, a home run both ways! Love your recipes and will continue cooking and baking away! Thank you for creating another successful cookbook!”

Lise, I love the “head-to-head taste test”! We’ve had many of those in this house (actually, we did during the testing of this very recipe!). I’m so happy the brownies worked with cacao powder and that both versions were such hits. Thanks for letting us know, and for your excitement for the book!

PS—The image at the top of the page is my Potato and Black Bean Nachos recipe! Hello, weekend comfort food.

1 Connie September 16, 2016

Angela, I have a question for a future (post-baby) Friday FAQs: My daughter and I have a complete aversion to nutritional yeast – I’ve tried, and something about its scent, perhaps, just puts us off. As we’re not vegan, I’m assuming I can sub parmesan in most of your recipes for the yeast? Or, in some cases, cashew cream? Any guidance on this?

Thanks, and best wishes to you and your family on the imminent arrival of your little one!

Oh, and I’m absolutely making those nachos this weekend!

2 Connie September 16, 2016

Forgot to mention that I LOVE the new cookbook! Already made the Lentil and Mushroom Fusilli and the Apple Pie Oatmeal and loved both – Pumpkin Pillow Cookies are in line for this weekend!

3 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Hey Connie, depending on the recipe I think regular Parmesan might work (although I must admit my knowledge using this ingredient is very little, hah). It would depend on the recipe, but if it’s only a tablespoon or two I can’t see why not. :) Thanks for your well wishes and kind words about the new book, too!

4 Connie September 26, 2016

Thanks Angela. I must say, I was surprised to see a response with today’s date, as I assumed you’d be in the midst of labor roundabout now! I’m pulling for September 28, as that’s my twins’ birthday (-: Thanks for your thoughts on the substitution.

5 Carolyn September 16, 2016

Hang in there!!!

6 Heather September 16, 2016

Ceased salad + pizza! 🍕

7 Heather September 16, 2016

Ummm.. “Caesar” ☺️

8 Liza September 17, 2016

Hi Angela, love both books and your app!! Thanks for providing nutritional info this time around. Do you think there could be a misprint on the carbs in the 6 vegetable and cheese soup. It says 291g of carbs and this seems way high. Thanks so much, you have revolutionized how I eat :)

9 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Oh yikes! Thanks for mentioning that. I will contact my nutritional analyses person and find out. :)

10 haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 17, 2016

ooohh yum!! can’t wait to try that brownie recipe!!!!

11 Laura @ Raise Your Garden September 20, 2016

Same here. I must have missed it. Right now, I’ll allowed zero flour so I have to be on blogs to find recipes that are okay. Love subbing cocoa powder. So intriguing!

12 Elana Postnikoff September 17, 2016

Hi Angela,
So many of your delicious looking baking/breakfast recipes call for rolled oats, which I can’t eat. Talk about frustration!!! What would be a good substitution for them? Really want to try all the overnight oatmeal recipes in OSG Everyday. ps. Have tried the Pear Vanilla Mint Green smoothie a few times post-workouts and it rocks!

13 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Hey Elana, Oh I’m so happy you are loving the smoothie recipe! In terms of subbing oats, that is a tricky one for sure. For oatmeal recipes—either stovetop or overnight—you can get really creative with your choice of grains if you are up for experimentation. (I’ll be honest, I don’t know of a direct swap for the oats in overnight oats, but I should definitely test a recipe in the future!) Quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, and millet, for example, can all be tried out and each will add its own unique flavour profile to the dish. You can choose to use the alternative grains whole (cook them first, with the exception of buckwheat which can simply be soaked), or buy them flaked. You may have to experiment a little to get the right consistency and thickness! But don’t worry—porridge-type recipes are usually pretty forgiving. They can be thickened up with chia seeds too. You could also make a chia seed pudding (oat-free!), and use the overnight oatmeal recipes in OSG Every Day for topping/mix-in inspiration! I also have a Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge that is quite tasty. I hope this helps!

14 Carrie September 17, 2016

I’ve been following your blog for a few years and now have both of your cookbooks. I love just about everything I’ve made from all your recipes, but I have to say the new cookbook does not disappoint. The Vanilla Super Seed Granola is seriously delicious. And I’ve had (and made) a few granolas. It’s so decadent and the coconut is so perfectly cooked it melts in your mouth. Yum. More like dessert for breakfast. I also made your Mile High freezer fudge which my husband and I devoured. In the oven now are the Flourless Peanut Butter cookies and if the baked version is anything like the unbaked version we’re in for another big treat. Okay, I’ve made a lot of sweet things (I have a problem:)) but I promise I have a green smoothie every morning (which was also inspired by your recipes)! Kudos on the new cookbook. You continue to outdo yourself!

15 Victoria September 18, 2016

I just wanted to let you know that the Italian Marinated Tofu from OSGE is phenomenal. I had it with your lemon tahini dressing on a salad and oh my gosh it’s my new favorite way to eat tofu.

16 Angela Liddon September 19, 2016

Thanks, Victoria! I’m so happy to hear you like the new recipe. :)

17 Gem (Breakfast and salads) September 18, 2016

I love this Friday FAQs series. Have a qn, can you suggest more alkalising green smoothie recipes?

18 Sheryll September 19, 2016

Hey Angela, just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE your new cookbook. It is beautiful! Never thought I could be so excited over a cookbook – not only are the recipes fabulous but just browsing through it brings me so much pleasure. Great job!

19 Angela Liddon September 19, 2016

Thanks so much for the kind words, Sheryll! I’m glad you’re enjoying it. :)

20 Jessie Snyder September 19, 2016

This is such a neat idea for a post Angela! Loved reading through all of these. And thank you again for allowing me to post about your book! Such a total treasure. You’re comment on my post made me flip too – you are too sweet. Hope you have the most gorgeous week lady – xx.

21 Diana September 19, 2016

A beautiful new book! We’ve already had the sundried pasta and the pesto potatoes! So good! For substitutions on the burgers (made them from the website two weeks ago) I accidentally bought canned black lentils instead of black beans (way to not read the entire label), but decided to just roll with it and they came out great, although they did need a little more cook time-thinking it was from the reduced starch content!

22 Caleb September 19, 2016

Hey, I just made the marinated lentils from the cookbook… delicious! However, I was thinking it could use a bit of spiciness. What would you recommend?

23 Tiffany September 19, 2016

Hello Angela-Our vegan family of 5 just bought your new cookbook this weekend and are devouring it, literally! We have made a few recipes that we know will be added into our meal routine. I love your photos and was wondering if you would share what bread you enjoy. I see it it many pictures and it looks delicious. Didn’t know if it was something you make or a brand you love. We aren’t gluten free but we do enjoy dense seeded bread. Thanks for sharing all your amazing creations!

24 Angela Liddon September 20, 2016

Hi Tiffany, I am so happy you and the fam are enjoying the cookbook so far! Honestly, I can’t remember anymore what breads we used for the cookbook photography, but my current fave is by Thornbury Bakery in Ontario (Original Chia kind). It’s vegan, gluten-free, and absolutely amazing as a base for avocado toast! I store a loaf in the freezer so I always have some on hand. :)

25 Tiffany September 19, 2016

We made the brownies as per the kids request and they are spot on perfect! I reduced the chocolate bar to 1/3 of the bar because I was concerned of my already wild kids having too much caffeine, turned out great! Thanks

26 Janeen September 19, 2016

Hi!

I have tried probably ten of your recipes or so, and they have been absolutely fantastic. I’m a single mom with a full-time job and three kids under five, so I really need my dinners to be quick to prepare (I think you’ll see what I mean when you have two little ones running around in the near future!!). I was wondering if you or any of your readers can suggest some of your quickest and most easy-to-prepare recipes that I can try, either from your blog or your first book (which I just ordered).

Thanks, and best wishes for an easy delivery and recovery!

27 Marissa September 20, 2016

Hi Angela,

I’m 18 and I live in Ontario too! You have inspired me so much. I became a vegan in June and I only cook recipes from you. I think your recipes are the best! I missed your Snapchat for your Pumpkin Protein Smoothie on September 13th (I saw your story on Instagram saying the recipe is on snapchat). Would you be able to reply to me with that recipe? Besides the Ice Cap Protein Smoothie you posted yesterday on Snapchat are there any other recipes you posted on Snapchat? I created Snapchat yesterday just incase you post recipes there. I always save any recipe you post. I would appreciate it so much if you replied to me!

Thank you!
Marissa :)

28 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Hey Marissa, So lovely to hear from you! I’m considering posting the recipe on Snapchat again, and possibly the app! So keep your eyes peeled. :) ;)

29 Cara September 20, 2016

Just joining the chorus of ‘Love the new cookbook!!’ Yesterday I made the flourless PB cookies–YUM! (I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually found them a little too sweet … if I reduce the sugar, will it totally mess with the texture? It will, won’t it? I might see what happens next time … ) Also, made the lentil-mushroom fusilli–loved it! I was so full and satisfied afterward I didn’t even feel like dessert! (That, um, nEVER happens :-) ) Thanks, Angela!

30 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Thank you so much Cara! I haven’t tried reducing the sugar so I’m really not positive! If you try anything please let us know how it goes. :)

31 Pure Ella September 20, 2016

Always enjoying your updates Angela :)
ps. I can’t get enough of your new book – simply stunning!
*hugs* ella

32 Angela Liddon September 21, 2016

Aw, thanks, Ella!

33 Stephanie September 20, 2016

Hello Angela,
I love Friday FAQs and have a question.
We have a new baby that hates to be put down, even when she’s sleeping. Do you have any suggestions for no-cook, slow- cook or recipes that easy to prepare while holding a baby?
So far we have enjoyed smoothies, glow bars, gazpacho, salads, Elvis bars and book but am at a loss for dinner ideas.

34 Stephanie September 20, 2016

*v o o, not book

35 Marina September 20, 2016

Hi Angela! Congratulations on your new book success.
Do you have any good recipes with amaranth at the moment? I’m trying to incorporate it into my diet but haven’t found recipes that would hit the nail on its head really.
Thanks so much! Good luck with finishing the renos on time and have a smooth delivery!

36 Brad Cruise September 20, 2016

congrats for new book. can you point out the recipes having bulk protein as you have delicious ideas

37 Roshani Khanna September 21, 2016

Oh my gosh this looks so good! I am over here drooling over this dish right now. I am all over this. I can’t even stop starring.

38 Amanda September 23, 2016

Hi Angela!

I just received your book in the mail, and I love it!!! In the app though, I was wondering if I could substitute cooked or soaked quinoa for the rice crisp cereal in your New Mama Granola bars, and other recipes for that matter. Also, could I combine the quinoa with flax,chia,or hemp seeds to achieve a similar rice crisp texture? I know I’d be losing out on the aerated quality of the crisps, but would any of these be a good replacement? Would amaranth work? Lol sorry for all these questions.

39 Teresa September 25, 2016

We absolutely love the “soul soothing African peanut stew” recipe. It is full of surprising delicious flavors. I am wondering if this stew freezes well? We are going camping and I thought it would be a fabulous meal to share with our family in the chilly weather.