Friday FAQs: Spice mix uses, smoothie freezer packs, coconut milk differences, and more!

Purple Monster Protein Smoothie 02899 3

Whew, what a whirlwind start to September we’ve had! Between home renovation setbacks, caring for a sick toddler, and the launch of my new cookbook, things have sure been lively. But I’m happy to say Oh She Glows Every Day has now hit shelves across North America (why is releasing creative projects into the world so darn scary?), the little one is in good health, and the reno situation is…well, a typical reno situation, hah. But all of that aside, we’re super excited for this month as Adriana turns 2 in a couple weeks and my due date is just days after. There’s no doubt that this month promises to bring some big changes in the Liddon household. I’m basically feeling every kind of emotion you can imagine right now.

Before I get to this week’s Friday FAQs, I’d like to let you know about some retailers carrying Oh She Glows Every Day. In the US, you can currently find the book at Barnes & Noble and Sam’s Club. In Canada, you can find the book in Costco, Chapters/Indigo, and Loblaws! More to come soon.

Last but not least, I’d like to share this week’s #osgeveryday blog tour posts. I can’t thank these lovely bloggers enough for their kind words. Be sure to check out the links below for some recipe sneak peeks, giveaways, and Q+As!

Q1. Hi Angela. These new veggie burgers look great. I have a question about the sweet potato—in the directions you write that it works out to about 4 cups, but when making the patties you only use 2 cups of cooked potato. Is this because you are accounting for some “shrinkage” during the cooking process? Hehe. Thanks in advance!! I love your first book and can’t wait to buy the second.

A. Thanks, Melanie! Yes, you are totally correct…there’s shrinkage! Haha. 4 cups raw sweet potato (or squash) translates to just over 2 cups cooked. I hope this helps clarify. Feel free to make extra and serve it alongside the burgers!

Q2. Wondering—will your Oh Em Gee Veggie Burgers hold up on the grill??? I’m looking for something that can hold up to grilling as my parents love making hamburgers and I need an alternative for my husband and myself. :) Thanks!

A. Hi Becky, I haven’t tried it yet, but I think they would! I’d suggest prebaking in the oven for 15 minutes, and then grilling on each side for a few minutes over medium heat. If you give it a try, please let us know how it goes!

Q3. Hi Angela! Love your site and cookbook. It’s helped me a ton since I met my (vegan) boyfriend almost 2 years ago. I’ve been dying to ask, do you have any more specific suggestions for using the 10-Spice Blend? I see you’ve written “pasta, potatoes, soups” but any other recipe besides your 10-Spice Vegetable Soup?? Thanks!!

A. Hi Kayla, This is such a great question! The wonderful thing about the 10-Spice Blend is that it’s so versatile; you can get really creative with how you use it in your kitchen. Aside from the 10-Spice Soup (which is an OSG cult fave!), you could use it to kick scratch tomato sauce up a notch, or add a new twist to roasted potatoes or Lightened-Up Crispy Baked Fries (The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 203), kale chips, Crispy Baked Onion Rings, Pan-Seared Garlic Tofu (OSG Cookbook, p. 197), or Perfect Roasted Chickpeas (OSG Cookbook, p. 220). I love adding a tablespoon or so to Endurance Crackers, and sprinkling it over toast topped with avocado and hummus. You can also try it in my Oh Em Gee Veggie Burgers and Metabolism-Revving Spicy Cabbage Soup (Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 139).

Q4. Hi Angela, great suggestions for make-ahead meals! One question…what do you mean by a ‘smoothie pack’??

A. Hey Allison, By a smoothie pack I mean that I freeze some of the non-liquid smoothie ingredients in a freezer bag. It’s a fun little trick for make-ahead smoothies! For example, you can turn my Green Tea Lime Pie Smoothie Bowl into a freezer pack. Simply place the spinach, banana, avocado, and matcha into a small freezer bag, then press out the air and seal. This can be stored in the freezer for 1 to 2 weeks. When you’re ready to use, simply add the coconut water, lime juice/zest, and maple syrup into the blender along with the contents of the bag. Blend on high until smooth (adding ice only if necessary).

Q5. I loved your homemade Bailey’s recipe, but I think I messed up somewhere by using normal coconut milk in a carton for the “light” coconut milk. Do you think that’s why it wasn’t as thick as it should have been? Thank you though, for this amazing recipe!!!

A. Hi Sierra, If you mean the cartoned coconut milk (the kind typically found near soy or almond milk in the grocery store), I do think that’s the likely culprit! Like soy and almond milk, this type of coconut milk is really more of a dairy milk replacement that is best consumed as a beverage or used in smoothies, over cereal, and so on. It’s typically watered down and contains other additives as well, and so it tends to be lighter/thinner than even the “light” canned coconut milk. In my recipes I will specify canned coconut milk, and also indicate whether I used full-fat or light. Another possibility as to why it was thin is that the liquid needed to be cooked down longer than it was. So you could always try throwing it back on the stovetop and simmering it a bit longer until the volume reduces. I hope you still enjoyed the Homemade Bailey’s, though, even if it wasn’t quite as rich!

Comment of the week:

With the release of my new cookbook, I’ve received so many warm, enthusiastic messages that I can’t pick a single one to highlight. Some of them seriously brought me to tears. Thank you to everyone who’s picked up a copy of the book, placed it on a wishlist, signed it out at the library, or simply shared their support for this latest adventure. You helped make Oh She Glows Every Day a reality and I couldn’t be more grateful. :)

PS—That cute little spice mix at the top of this post is the Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix! It takes minutes to throw together and you’ll be sprinkling it in everything from oatmeal to smoothies to pies and more.

1 Carrie September 9, 2016

Angela, thank YOU for letting me part of your new book’s blog tour. It is everything the last book was and MORE: beautiful, inspiring, and an absolute masterpiece. Congrats on a job well done and best of luck with all of the changes happening in your life right now. XOXOXO!!!

2 Kristina September 9, 2016

Hi Angela!

Congratulations all around for all of your exciting news! I curious if your new cookbook has both an American and Canadian version like your first cookbook? I live in the US currently, but I made sure to pick up a Canadian copy of your first book because, well, it felt more like home to me!

Blessing to you and yours!

– Kristina

3 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

Hey Kristina! This time around both the Canadian and US covers are the same. :) Thanks so much for the support – I hope you enjoy the book!

4 Jackie September 9, 2016

Hi Angela,

Just wanted to let you know that I love your recipes….blog, app, cookbooks! There is not a single thing I have tried that hasn’t been amazing :)

I have been wanting to ask you, but haven’t been sure the best place to comment, what kind of pan do you use for pancakes? I have a nonstick that I really want to stop using but can’t bear to have my pancakes stick to my stainless steel pan. Any suggestions??

Thanks and keep the recipes/updates coming!!
Jackie

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 9, 2016

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about that 10-spice blend of yours, Ange! I go through a ton of the Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning Blend from Costco and love it, but I think some change would be good for a while. I’m pumped to post my cookbook review on Monday and can’t wait to check out the posts from other bloggers. Happy weekend! :)

6 Jessica September 9, 2016

I just received my copy of Oh She Glows Every Day…WOW! What a stunning book and you look more beautiful than ever.

7 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

Aw, thanks Jessica!

8 fritzi redgrave September 10, 2016

Just to let you know that I received your book in the mail yesterday and can’t wait to go shopping for some of the ingredients. I also bought n

9 fritzi redgrave September 10, 2016

I also bought an electronic copy for use when I am on the go!

10 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

I hope you love it, Fritzi! Thanks for your support. :)

11 Tiffany27 September 10, 2016

Angela!!!! I have your cookbook of course and I made the Every Day Lemon-Garlic Hummus. For the first time in my existence I have successfully made homemade hummus. I am feeling myself!!!! I’m making hummus for family and friends like a psycho lol. Thank you so much. Good luck with everything and thank you so much for creating your delicious and easy meals for us.

12 Rita Marie September 10, 2016

Hi Angela!

LOVE the book! I am already obsessed! I have made the Overnight Hot oatmeal Power Bowl (delicious), chili cheese nachos (hands down the best nachos ever), and the peanut butter balls. I cannot wait to continue exploring and being inspired by your wonderfully tasty and gorgeous dishes.

Rita

13 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

Thanks so much for the kind words, Rita! Your comment brought a smile to my face.

14 Julia September 10, 2016

Still loving this Friday series :D
So excited about OSG Everyday, I’m asking for it for my birthday in a couple weeks :)
Also I finally made the crispy almond butter cookies from the first cookbook (exactly as written except for chia egg instead of flax egg) and they were DELICIOUS and my whole family enjoyed them. Will definitely make those again and excited for more recipes from the new book :)

15 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

So glad you enjoyed those cookies, Julia! I hope you love the new book when you get it–happy early birthday! :)

16 Ruth September 10, 2016

Congratulations on the new cookbook! Also, I am so excited to try the new recipes in the app that have recently been added.

I have been watching the progress of my OSG Every Day cookbook order from Amazon since the release on Tuesday, and when I discovered it would most likely arrive on Friday after I left for a duathlon in another state, I was so bummed. However, what a good reward for my post-race return, right? As expected, the book had not arrived by the time I left. In the meantime I did my race (and got 1st in my division…haha, I was the ONLY person in my division!); my morning fuel was your basic overnight oats (chia, cinnamon, oats, banana, liquid).

I’ve just gotten home and am going to open my waiting package! I made the Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Coconut Curry from the pre-release PDF for dinner the other day, and my omni roommate loved it. The flavors are so well blended. Can’t wait to try some more of your creations!

17 Kristie September 10, 2016

I haven’t been able to make them yet, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for including the recipe for my all time favorite glo bars in your new book! That recipe alone is worth the price of it to me :).

18 Jennifer Ebbs September 10, 2016

Thanks for mentioning those that sign it out at the library. I signed out your 1st cookbook which led me to buying it. I work at a library and I put a hold on the new one months ago (advantages of being staff!) and just got it today!

19 Carolina Bertolucci September 11, 2016

I just got your book (beautiful!!) and this morning I made the orange creamsicle smoothie. Holy #%$$@ it’s good!!!! :D <3 Congrats on the baby and the amazing gorgeous new cookbook.

20 Angela Liddon September 12, 2016

Thanks Carolina!! So glad you loved that smoothie – it’s a fave around here for sure!

21 Lucie September 11, 2016

I’m so excited about your new book Angela! Congrats!!! And thanks for the pre-bake tip with the veggie burgers, I’ve had more than one batch fall apart on me on the grill :D

22 Ceilidh September 11, 2016

Hi Angela! I love your blog and the Oh She Glows cookbook has many of my all time favourite recipes! I recently purchased Oh She Glows everyday and so many recipes look delicious! I am a little disappointed that so many recipes contain a hefty amount of nuts, because of how expensive nuts tend to be. Do you have any suggestions of where to buy nuts to get them at the best price? And also, would it generally be okay to substitute a different kind of nut than what is in the recipe so I wouldn’t have to buy so many different kinds?
Thank you so much!

23 CycleAZLindyB September 12, 2016

Hi Angela, just a quick question. Is there any other color you could use for the links we click on? The light green is almost impossible to see. I and maybe a few of your other older readers would appreciate an easier to see color. Thanks for considering that change.
Lindy B.

24 Jennifer Berkey September 12, 2016

I am so gonna try one on my own! Ingredients are so accessible. Perfect!

25 Christine September 12, 2016

Hello Angela,
I have been a fan of your blog since your tofurkey days. Although I am no longer vegan myself I still try to eat vegan/vegetarian 80% of the time as well as organic and healthy non-processed foods. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog and recipes, one of my faves. Did I mention how much I love your blog? LOL. Anyhow, I bought your new cookbook and yesterday I made your chia strawberry vanilla “jam”. Mine was blueberry, strawberry, pomegranate because that is what I had. I added a tad more maple syrup but it was awesome. Today I turned it into the oat crumb bars with a few modifications. Used hazelnuts instead of sunflower seeds (it is what I had), also used 1/2 lite olive oil and 1/2 butter for the coconut oil. They are beyond delish. Browned nicely probably due to the butter. I am making your lentil-mushroom bolognese for dinner tonight. Cannot wait to try more recipes. Good luck on your upcoming birth.

26 Jo September 12, 2016

Angela,
Just had to let you know how much I love your new book. I have loved every single recipe I have tried over the years, so your hard work realllllly shows. The book is easy to follow, unpretentious, and stunning. I am a new mom now and your recipes (and baby wisdom) are now a part of our family. Sending out the positive vibes for a great birth experience for baby Liddon #2!

27 LiseE September 13, 2016

Love your new Oh She Glows Everyday! First recipe I tried was the Ultimate Flourless Brownies. Secretly, I could not imagine you possibly topping your previous recipe in your first cookbook! Wow! Was I mistaken! Amazingly delicious! Unfortunately I ran out of cocoa to make a second batch (we are a family of 4) and had to improvise with the second batch using cacao powder. It turned out to be so delicious, very deep in flavor and not as sweet. I had my family, sister in law and niece try both brownies for a head to head taste test, and they love both brownies for different reasons. Wow, a home run both ways! Love your recipes and will continue cooking and baking away! Thank you for creating another successful cookbook!

28 Lucia - A Teaspoon of Sunshine September 13, 2016

Hello from Spain, Angela! I have been following you since 2012 when I became vegan and my brother introduced me to your blog. I absolutely love your recipes and your writing, have your first book which is used very often and will be ordering the second one too :) And I finally plucked up the courage to start my own blog this year after being inspired by you for so long… Sending you lots of positive energy for the birth! Lucia

29 Angela Liddon September 15, 2016

Thank you so much for the sweet comment, Lucia! Congrats on starting your blog; I’m wishing you the best of luck with it and will have to check it out sometime soon for sure :)

30 Joyce September 13, 2016

Got the new cookbook last Wednesday and was cooking up a storm this weekend. Absolutely love the strawberry oat bars, sunflower seed butter and almond hazelnut milk! This was my first time making homemade nut milk and was surprised how easy and delicious it was. I have been eating the protein packed kale salad for lunch this week and enjoyed the ice cream smoothie bowl for breakfast with my son yesterday! This is a great cookbook!

31 Angela Liddon September 15, 2016

Thanks so much for the lovely comment Joyce! I’m so happy to hear you’ve started cooking your way through OSG Every Day already, and that everything’s been a hit!

32 Christine in Mass September 14, 2016

Angela,

I have a quick question that I can’t seem to find the answer for on the Internet. I made your mocha glo bars (yummy), but I think I put in too much coffee. I grind my coffee at the store and therefore measure out already ground coffee. The mocha glo bars call for 2 TB of whole bean that you *then* grind. What is the ground equivalent to whole bean when it comes to coffee?

Thanks.

Christine

33 Amanda Bettess September 16, 2016

I used 2.5 Tbsp of ground coffee and it was perfect.

34 Megan September 15, 2016

This new cookbook is amazing! I have made probably over 10 recipes so far and my mind is blown once again. The fudge is unreal! The new burger recipe is also a hit with the family. Oh and the new cheese sauce which made the chili cheese nachos and mac and peas back to back. What you do is nothing short of amazing! This new cookbook did not disappoint. I love making these recipes for non vegan friends and family they simply can’t believe it’s vegan when it tastes so good. Thanks for making me look good :)

35 Jessie September 15, 2016

Hi Angela,

I got your beautiful new book at the store, how exciting!

I noticed the note in it that says nutritional information is listed on your website. Can you please point me to where to find it for the recipes in the book?

Sorry if you’ve already addressed this.

Thanks!

36 Angela Liddon September 16, 2016

Hey Jessie, Certainly! The nutritional info can be found here (a PDF will open). Just in case you misplace it, you can also find the link on page xiii of Oh She Glows Every Day under the “Nutritional Information” heading. I hope this helps!

37 Natasha September 15, 2016

I love your first book. I haven’t used it nearly as much as I should. I just picked up your new book and loved leafing through it! I am super inspired to try so much! I also wanted to say how much I appreciate having a photo for each recipe!

38 Angela Liddon September 15, 2016

So glad you like the new book, Natasha! I’m super happy there’s a photo for each recipe too. I find it’s so inspiring when trying to decide on a new dish to try!

39 Jan September 16, 2016

Hi Angela. Just bought your new cookbook and I am SO excited. The recipes look wonderful! I have one question for you: what is the crispy rice cereal that you call for in your Glo bars? Is there a healthy brand that you recommend? I don’t like the thought of using the traditional Rice Krispies cereal because of the refined grains, sugar and salt. Is there an alternative that you could use instead?

40 Angela Liddon September 26, 2016

Hey Jan, I love the Whole Foods 365 brand of rice crisp. Hope this helps and thank you for the kind words about my book!

41 Sarah September 16, 2016

Hey Angela,

Your Oh She Glows Every Day cookbook is gorgeous! Congrats on a job well done! I love your first cookbook as well (it’s almost falling apart, I’ve used it so much) but I thought it was really cool to see your progression between the two: your new cookbook has a cleaner (more simplified?) look to it.

Also, I really appreciate how specific you are when listing your ingredients and tips – for example, specifying ‘canned’ and ‘light’ coconut milk versus the carton variety. It makes it so much easier to follow your recipes and feel confident we’re using the right ingredients.

I made your High-Rise Pumpkin Cupcakes this past week and good godfrey! SO GOOD! I brought one into work to share with my Mom (another die-hard pumpkin fan) and she said they were the best pumpkin cupcakes she’s ever tried! Thanks for the recipe!

Speaking of pumpkin – if you don’t mind me asking, where did you get the jar in the picture above holding your pumpkin pie spice? It looks like it would be much easier to clean if you can take the lid right off (as opposed to the ones that have permanent latches)…

Thanks!

~ Sarah

42 Sherry September 18, 2016

I know I’m late to the party, but I finally made your 10-spice Vegetable Soup and I just had to leave a comment about how good it is! Yum! I could eat this everyday for the next week, and given that it made such a large batch I think I just might. Thanks for all the lovely recipes.

43 Angela Liddon September 19, 2016

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Sherry!! :)

44 Christine in Mass September 19, 2016

Today’s OSG food that I made this weekend: banana muffin tops for my morning snack, French lentil stew for lunch, afternoon snack is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough snack bars and dinner will be the OSG enchilladas. What did I eat before your cookbooks? LOL.