Chocolate Raspberry Dreams Breakfast Parfait

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 21, 2016

chocraspberryoats

Way back in the day, I used to be all about creating breakfast parfaits. Do any of my long-time readers remember the onslaught of breakfast parfait recipes I posted around 2009/2010? Boy, was I on a roll with those parfaits. (Side note: how the heck have I been blogging so long?) Since becoming a parent, I’ve usually put parfaits on the back burner, labeling them as a bit fussy or too time-consuming for our fast-paced, toddler-needs-breakfast-yesterday mornings. After feeding Adriana, it’s all I can do to inhale a lightning-fast smoothie or plain-Jane overnight oats while standing at the counter. But recently it hit me: Breakfast parfaits don’t need to be fussy at all. In fact, I can prepare a couple things in the evening, and then all I have to do in the mornings is find a spoon. Even better, I make a big batch so it provides a multiday breakfast (unless I decide to power through an entire batch in a single day, which, trust me, has happened recently!).

For those of you with little mouths to feed, you might want to give this recipe a shot with them, too. My awesome recipe tester, Nicole, recently made it with her daycare kids, and she reported back that “they licked the bowls clean!” Adriana also thinks these parfaits are fun to eat (and oh so grown-up!), so she’s been asking to try them out. (Mind you, some days that means a couple cautious bites before proudly declaring, “ALL DONE!!” but I’ll take what I can get at this precarious age!)

Here’s how you can prepare these parfaits in advance: One evening (or two, if you’re feeling ambitious) each week, make this big batch of overnight oats, chia jam, and Coconut Whipped Cream (or simply thaw a tub of So Delicious Coco Whip!) After the oats set and the jam cools, layer everything into jars. In the morning, it’s there waiting for you as a breakfast or snack, and it’ll keep for a few days. So easy, so good, and so perfect for summer!

chocolateraspberrybreakfastexplosion

chocolateraspberryovernightoats

4.9 from 19 reviews

Chocolate Raspberry Dreams Breakfast Parfait

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, soy-free

By

This summer-friendly breakfast can be made the night before and assembled so it's ready to go in the morning! (And trust me when I say that you'll be dreaming of this while you sleep!) The batch makes enough for about 4 servings so you can enjoy it on several occasions. The chocolate overnight oats are mild-tasting and slightly bitter (depending on how much sweetener you use), so the zingy raspberry jam and lightly sweet coconut whip are essential when serving to boost the flavours. To highlight a contrast of textures, add some fresh or frozen raspberries and toasted nuts, too.

Yield
Serves 4
Soak time
2 hours or overnight
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

For the Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (makes 1 cup):
  • 1 (300 g/10 oz) bag frozen raspberries
  • 2 tablespoons (20 g) chia seeds
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) pure maple syrup, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder (optional)
For the Chocolate Overnight Oats (makes 3 cups):
  • 1 cup (100 g) gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup (55 g) chia seeds
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) unsweetened almond milk
For the topping:
  • Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream or So Delicious Coconut Whip*
  • Fresh or frozen raspberries
  • Sliced toasted almonds or hazelnuts

Directions:

1. For the Raspberry Chia Seed Jam: Add the frozen raspberries, chia seeds, and maple syrup into a medium pot. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 7 to 9 minutes, until the raspberries break down. (It will still look a bit runny, but it will thicken as it cools.) Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, if using, and additional maple syrup, if desired. Allow the jam to cool on the counter, uncovered, for about a half hour before covering and chilling in the fridge.
  2. For the Chocolate Overnight Oats: In a large container with a lid, whisk together the oats, chia seeds, maple syrup, and cocoa powder until combined. Add the milk, and whisk until no clumps of cocoa powder remain. Secure lid and let it sit on the counter for 2 to 3 minutes. After sitting briefly, shake the mixture (or stir) again to combine. This just helps prevent the chia seeds from clumping up. Chill in the fridge for a couple hours, or overnight.
  3. Prepare the Coconut Whipped Cream, or if using, thaw the store-bought coconut whipped cream in the fridge or on the counter. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
  4. When the chia jam and oats are ready, layer them into jars or bowls along with the coconut whipped cream. Add your desired toppings, and enjoy! The parfaits can be made in advance and enjoyed for a few days.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 of 4 parfaits | Calories 320 calories | Total Fat 11 grams
Saturated Fat 1.5 grams | Sodium Fat 180 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 50 grams
Fiber 16 grams | Sugar 16 grams | Protein 9 grams

Nutritional info is based on 4 servings.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

• * To change up this recipe, feel free to swap the Coconut Whipped Cream for Banana Soft Serve.
  • Make it nut-free: Swap the almond milk for a nut-free non-dairy milk, and omit the nut topping.

healthy mama kale salad 02824 (1)

Gaby July 21, 2016 at 8:48 am

Yay! The parfaits have returned! Chocolate + raspberries are always a win (as are all your recipes actually) so I can’t wait to try this out :)

Rachel @ Mesa Cooking Co. July 21, 2016 at 9:31 am

Love the name of this parfait – it is totally enticing!! The ingredients you included in here are just superb. This sounds totally amazing and like one seriously good breakfast!! Will be trying VERY soon – pinned :)

Angela Liddon July 21, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to try it out, Rachel! We’re loving it here. :)

Jill July 21, 2016 at 9:44 am

Thanks for a new recipe! I’ve missed your daily posts.

Gauri July 21, 2016 at 2:37 pm

That looks super delicious! Wondering where to buy SO delicious coconut whip in Canada? Can you let me know? Thanks in advance.

Stephanie July 22, 2016 at 11:13 am

When I’m at home, I usually get it at Whole Foods and I’ve seen it at certain select higher-end grocery stores (e.g., Sobeys) in the freezer section around the “gluten-free” and “organic” section.

Jenn July 26, 2016 at 11:30 am
Recipe Rating:

I recently found the So Delicious Coconut Whip in Canada at my local Superstore. Look in the frozen foods section by the gluten free breads and dairy-free ice cream. It’s delicious!!

Keshia White July 21, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Chocolate for breakfast? Sign me up! Love this idea. It’s a great way to indulge while still being healthy.

Keshia White
www.queenlifeblog.com

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 21, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Long time reader here; I totally remember the breakfast parfaits! LOVE ’em!

Sara July 21, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Not sure why I’ve never thought to incorporate coconut whip into breakfast…YUM. These are absolutely stunning!

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:30 am

It’s sooo good, Sara! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do if you give it a try.

Akino July 21, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I’m always on the lookout for new and fun breakfast ideas and these look absolutely delicious! As a huge chocolate raspberry fan I’m so excited to try this out :)

Akino | akinokiki.blogspot.ca

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:28 am

I hope you love it, Akino!

Michelle July 22, 2016 at 6:02 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I love raspberries.

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:25 am

I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a try, Michelle!

Amy July 22, 2016 at 7:51 am
Recipe Rating:

I am obsessed with Raspberry and as a parfait, this is dreamy

Amy | www.yankfied.com

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:25 am

I definitely agree–the dreamiest! :)

Kerry July 22, 2016 at 8:22 am

This looks delicious. The ads are starting to make the blog not as enjoyable though. particularly the Ballpark frank ad that was popping up over the recipe.

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:24 am

Hi Kerry, thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! We try really hard to moderate the ads that appear on the blog, to ensure they reflect my vision for Oh She Glows and plant-based lifestyle, but occasionally things like this sneak through. So it’s super helpful when my readers give me a head’s up!

Rachel July 22, 2016 at 10:31 am

Sounds and looks delicious! I think I will make it with strawberry jam though. I am hit or miss for raspberries. :)

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:20 am

Yum! I’m sure strawberries would be delicious with the chocolate oats! :)

Tiffany27 July 22, 2016 at 11:10 am

My GOD this sounds delicious. Will be making this weekend.

Steph July 22, 2016 at 11:11 am
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much for this excellent, easy and delicious breakfast idea. Yesterday was my partners birthday and the weather where I am temporarily staying in Michigan was unbelievably hot! ANYWAY, I spent a whopping 3 1/2 hours in the kitchen cooking up a delicious OSG plant-based dinner for my partner as well as some Banoffee birthday pie to celebrate the big 3-0 with him which was very well received ;)! Nonetheless, I WAS NOT going to be stuffed in that hot kitchen this morning so I quickly threw this breakfast parfait together last night while I was on a role and woke up to a delicious treat this morning that was both appreciated by me and my partner! DELICIOUS! Thank you for your inspiring recipes <3

Angela Liddon July 22, 2016 at 11:19 am

Wow, I don’t blame you for wanting a break from the kitchen heat, Steph! So glad this recipe was right on time, and that you and your partner enjoyed it. Stay cool! :)

Kathy July 22, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Oh, I am so drooling. Can’t wait to try this! I wonder how it would taste if I used cauliflower rice as my “oats?” I’m not able to do grains, even GF oats right now, and I miss my OSG parfaits/VOO’s. Thoughts, anyone?

p.s I made the Crazy Good Coconut Oil “Chocolate” Bark earlier this week and it is addictive…good thing I made a double batch.

Nicole W July 22, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Hi Kathy,
I have been on an elimination diet with a nutritionist for the past several months that denied me grains of any kind (I feel your pain!) but if you are allowed quinoa, which isn’t a grain but a seed, I think this recipe would be really good. You’d need to cook the quinoa and reduce the almond milk a bit…or, just leave out the oats entirely and make a chia pudding … hope that helps! I’ve made this recipe twice so far…my household can’t get enough of it!

Kathy July 22, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Nicole W., thank you so much! Yes, that’s me, too. It’s really helping in all areas (no grains/beans) but really throws a wrench into a lot of my OSG staples. I’m definitely checking to see if Quinoa is something I could reintroduce at some point.

Signe July 24, 2016 at 10:21 am

Wow this is a must try!
Looks so good! :)

Andrea July 25, 2016 at 3:00 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this for breakfast – delicious! I left out the coconut whipped cream and added half a banana, shredded coconut and cacao nibs.

I think that pureed peach would also pair up nicely with the raspberry jam. I once made a similar recipe and it turned out great.

Theresa July 26, 2016 at 2:11 am
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much for this recipe, Angela! My son is two weeks old and preparing breakfast while holding him has been a challenge, so I really needed to find healthy breakfast recipes that I could prepare the night before. This parfait just made my day…so nutritious, delicious, and easy to make!:)

Angela Liddon July 29, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Theresa, I can so relate to “preparing breakfast while holding” your kiddo! My 22-month-old still loves to be picked up so she can watch me cook. ;) (Who knew food prep could be a workout too?!) But yes, prepping breakfast in advance is so key, and I’m so glad you’re enjoying the parfaits! It’s a nice change from the typical smoothie or bowl of oats. Congrats on your little one, by the way! I’m so excited to have a newborn in my arms again soon. :) Soak him up.

Kathy July 26, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I made this last night and couldn’t wait to have it today for breakfast. It is soo good, and I ended up having some at lunchtime and dinner too :) I love how easy it was to prep, and it was a very satisfying, light, and yummy. I didn’t have coconut whip, but I used coconut yogurt and it worked just fine! Thank you for another amazing recipe.

Angela Liddon July 27, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I’m glad it was a hit, Kathy! (And I admit: sometimes I find it hard to stop eating it too, haha!)

Ashish Khadke July 27, 2016 at 2:50 am

I will surely try it.
It looks damn yummy.

Heidi Kokborg July 27, 2016 at 3:13 am

This looks so good, Ange! I need to make this as soon as I come back from vacation. I love that you make the overnight oats with chocolate. It’s so good!

Zombidle July 27, 2016 at 4:19 am
Recipe Rating:

Cool dessert, I cooked it last week and this was perfect for the season.

Anna Lee July 27, 2016 at 12:54 pm

These look fantastic! And the suggestion to switch the coconut whip for banana soft serve, brilliant. I’m gonna have to run to the store to get some raspberries asap!

Lori July 28, 2016 at 6:20 pm

OMG, my 1.5 & 3.5 yr olds are loving reg overnight oats right now and they are going to FLIP when I make chocolate ones! Thank you for the idea!

Angela Liddon July 29, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I hope they love it, Lori! :D

Karina July 29, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Recipe Rating:

One of the best breakfest ever!!!

Marianne August 10, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Recipe Rating:

I have been a fan of yours for 3 years Angela, since I changed my diet and you definitely helped me on the way. I have been an oatmeal-hater my entire life and then, I decided to give it a last try with this recipe… Wow! I now eat this 3 times a day: breakfast, snacks, deserts… name it! I tried it with blueberry jam and strawberry jam, but so far, raspberries have been the best. Plus, my one-year-old eats it too! Thanks so much for doing what you do Angela and good luck with the last bout of your pregnancy.

Angela Liddon August 17, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Marianne! I’m so glad this recipe changed your mind about oatmeal. :)

Ask Helen August 14, 2016 at 2:36 am

Wow! This looks so delish. I will try it using blueberries as well. Thanks for the recipe. :)

T.D. August 17, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and had it for breakfast this morning. I will definitely keep this on rotation. I had to make two alterations for what I had on hand, but it still came out delicious. Even my husband liked it. I don’t think he knew he was eating chia seeds and I wasn’t about to tell him.
My alterations were vanilla almond milk and regular whipped cream. I’ll be searching for gaur gum free coconut milk on my next shopping trip.

Angela Liddon August 17, 2016 at 4:31 pm

So glad it was a hit–even with the husband! ;)

Gabrielle August 20, 2016 at 7:30 am
Recipe Rating:

That reciepe is sooooooo amazing ??????? i love its good combination i love ur reciepe tooo

Angela Liddon August 23, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Glad you liked it, Gabrielle!!

Arika Zimmerman August 20, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Recipe Rating:

Thanks so much for the recipe! It was a hit in my house. My 4 year old was a fan! That’s no easy feat. :) Transitioning to a different eating style has not been hard with yummy recipes like this one. Thanks again!

Angela Liddon August 23, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I’m glad it was a hit, Arika! (Even with your little one!!)

Misit Dubois August 29, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much for this, it was AWESOME.

Angela Liddon August 29, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Laurie September 4, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Hello from the Interior of British Columbia! Raspberries are still in season here!?
So, I’ll be using freshly picked raspberries for this recipe. How many cups do you think I’ll need??

Laurie September 5, 2016 at 10:48 pm

FYI-
10 oz of frozen raspberries = 1 1/4 cup

Christina Tonello September 15, 2016 at 10:43 am

Looks delicious, can’t wait to try it tomorrow! Great start to the day! :)

Angela Liddon September 15, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Christina!

Abigail Rowse October 3, 2016 at 5:21 am
Recipe Rating:

Angela, I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that this recipe has changed my life. I’ve been vegan for 9 months now but struggling to be healthy (I’ve been addicted to vegan junk food!).

This recipe is so easy and delicious. It takes so divine you can’t believe that it’s healthy. I’ve been eating it every single day as I’ve found it’s the only breakfast that keeps me full until lunch. Ever. Also, it’s so nutritious that it keeps me making positive choices all day long!

I don’t make the coconut topping to save the time. I add ground flaxseed, hazelnuts, and sometimes extra fruit. I’ve also tried this with frozen mixed summer fruits and this works wonderfully too!

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANGELA! I’m raving about this to everyone I know.

Stephanie S November 3, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Could you use steel cut oats instead of rolled oats?
I have a bag that I’ve been staring at for months… thanks!

Taylor Seaman November 23, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Hey Angela! Been following your recipes for quite some time and they’re always so amazing! I’m really excited to give this one a try for the coming week as I’m starting a second job and want something super filling and healthy and QUICK! My only question is about the oats; I don’t tend to use any quick cooking oats of any kind so I’m just wondering how you would recommend going about cooking my oats first to use in this recipe.

Thank you so much for all the amazing ideas! Looking forward to hearing from you ;)

Angela Liddon December 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Hi Taylor, Sorry this response is a tad delayed. :) For this recipe, there’s no need to cook your rolled oats first—simply combine with the other ingredients listed in step 2, and let chill in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. And you’re good to go! Good luck with the new job!!

Aj December 12, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Recipe Rating:

Is it possible to use other frozen fruit instead of raspberries? What about strawberries?

Angela Liddon December 14, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Hi AJ, definitely! I think strawberries and chocolate would be a wonderful combination. If you give it a try, I’d love to hear how you like it.

Jen January 7, 2017 at 4:14 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night for breakfast. I enjoyed the over night oats. They weren’t too sweet or chocolaty, just the right amount for breakfast. My husband didn’t really like them, but he can be pretty picky sometimes.

Michelle January 22, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Recipe Rating:

My boys (aged 3 and 1) loved this! They can be picky about breakfast items, but they devoured this. It would make a good dessert too!

Angela Liddon January 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

Definitely, Michelle! I love the idea of this as a dessert.

Chris February 10, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow! nice recipe. I love Parfaits!

Hannah March 5, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Do you have a nutritial breakdown of th contents? Thanks!

Angela Liddon March 6, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Hey Hannah, I’m sorry, I don’t! But if you enter the recipe into an online tool like caloriecount.com or nutritiondata.com, or even an app like MyFitnessPal, you should be able to find out the nutritional breakdown fairly quickly. Hope this helps!

Heather July 31, 2017 at 11:44 am

I usually wake up and think, “Oh boy, coffee!”, but this morning is was “Oh boy, parfait!” Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Marta June 16, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much for this recipe!! It is so yummy! I have made it around 20 times since my daughter sent me your recipe!! So easy and I keep ingredients for this on hand at all times!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2018 at 7:53 am