All Day Glow Green Smoothie

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 18, 2016

alldayglowgreensmoothie-4054

Lately I’ve been trying to find ways to eat more veggies—which I realize may sound a bit funny coming from someone who eats plant-based—but it’s all too easy to get into ruts, especially when things are busy. It’s just so convenient to grab something from a box sometimes!

Pregnancy also makes my food obsessions and aversions much more pronounced, and trickier to navigate on a day-to-day basis. I’ll love something one day and loathe it the next (except cookies…I constantly have to resist the urge to bake cookies). There’s a virtual stack of recipes that I’ve developed this year and totally loved at the time, only to want nothing to do with them the next day. It’s been a bit frustrating as a recipe developer, feeling so hot and cold about my usual favourite foods.

In an effort to up my veggie intake, I made a pledge to myself on my birthday this past Monday to consciously set aside some time each day for veggie prep. That morning, feeling super inspired, I threw all the healthy ingredients I had into the blender. Usually when I toss all kinds of random things in, it comes out tasting like utter garbage, but I think birthday magic was on my side because this smoothie blew me away. Afterward, I wrote down my best guess of the “recipe”, tested it in the afternoon, and was shocked to discover I’d pretty much nailed the smoothie’s proportions. The best part is that this recipe makes a huge batch—enough for a big serving in the morning with breakfast (I love pairing it with avocado toast), and another as a snack in the afternoon. It also keeps well until the next day (which I think is due to not having any banana in it!), so you can save the other half for the next morning, too. I love knowing that I’m getting in so many extra veggies throughout the day. You can’t go wrong with 5 cups of green smoothie ready in about 10 minutes.

alldayglowgreensmoothie-4046

I’m in love with this smoothie’s unique flavour combination (think: refreshing, tangy, and lightly sweet), not to mention how amazing—almost euphoric—I feel when I drink it. I read up on the ingredients a bit, and I’m not surprised this makes me feel so darn good:

Fresh turmeric: Anti-inflammatory and fights free radical damage to the brain. It contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant. Also has pain-relieving properties.

Cilantro: Detoxifying and helps remove heavy metals from the body. Also antibacterial, immune-enhancing, and aids digestion.

Parsley: Diuretic aid rich in antioxidants. Contains vitamin K, which helps support healthy bones.

Red Leaf Lettuce: Source of folate and soluble fibre. The deep pigment in red lettuce leaves means that it contains an extra boost of antioxidants. The watery nature of lettuce helps flush toxins from the body. Also thought to have a calming or sedative effect on the body.

Lemon: Antibacterial properties. High vitamin C content. Lemon boosts digestion and is alkalizing and detoxifying.

Avocado: Contains healthy monounsaturated oil. The flesh and oil are anti-inflammatory. Also thought to help keep joints supple and may boost fertility.

Mango: High in vitamin C and beta-carotene, which can help boost the immune system. Contains prebiotic dietary fibre, which helps feed good bacteria in the gut.

Source: Healing Foods: Eat your way to a healthier life (DK Books, 2013)

Impressive, to say the least! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.

(And thanks to my mom for these gorgeous b-day flowers!)

alldayglowgreensmoothie-4022

4.9 from 19 reviews

All Day Glow Green Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

This refreshing and tangy smoothie happened by total accident. I created it on my birthday as I was looking to feel my absolute best, and I had resolved to eat more veggies in the year ahead. So I threw in all of the healthy ingredients I had lurking in the fridge, and I was absolutely astounded by how delicious it turned out. I'm not sure if I've ever created such a powerhouse smoothie before! This one is jam-packed with nutritious ingredients like fresh turmeric, cilantro, parsley, lemon, avocado, green apple, lettuce, coconut water, and more. Keep in mind this is a large batch that just fits in a 64-ounce high-speed blender, so if your blender is smaller you might want to make a half batch. I love to have a glass first thing in the morning, and another in the afternoon. Since there's no banana in it, it also keeps well until the next day when stored in an airtight container. Be prepared to feel that "all-day" glow!!

Yield
5 cups
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (250 mL) coconut water
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) mango juice (I love Happy Planet Organic Mango juice)
  • 2 large (400 g total) Granny Smith apples, cored and roughly chopped
  • 2 cups (70 g) packed red leaf lettuce or romaine
  • 2/3 cup (18 g) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/3 cup (15 g) packed fresh cilantro leaves*
  • 1/2 cup (70 g) frozen mango chunks
  • 1/4 cup (50 g) packed avocado
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
  • 2 small, pinky-sized pieces (12 g total) peeled fresh turmeric**
  • 5 to 6 large ice cubes, or as needed

Directions:

1. Add the coconut water and mango juice into a (64-ounce) high-speed blender. (If your blender is on the small side, you may want to make a half-batch.)
  2. Now add the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high until super smooth. If you have a Vitamix, use the tamper stick to get things moving. Taste and adjust sweetness if desired. If it's too tart, feel free to add a bit of liquid sweetener.
  3. Serve and enjoy! Place any leftovers into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I love to enjoy half in the morning, and the other half in the afternoon.

Tips:

• * The cilantro flavour in this smoothie is quite pronounced. If you aren't a cilantro fan, feel free to swap it with more romaine or fresh mint (start with 1/4 cup of mint).
  • ** Fresh turmeric root is becoming more and more common in grocery stores these days; keep your eyes peeled for it in the produce section. It can also be found on Amazon, and in select health food stores and Indian and Asian grocery stores. Look for firm turmeric that is unblemished.

alldayglowgreensmoothie-4048

Lynn | Heavenlynn Healthy May 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Oh this green smoothie looks and sounds amazing. I have been using the turmeric root especially in hot tea this past winter, and I use it more and more often now. It’s so good. By the way, I love your app, Angela! Congrats on its release.
Healthy greetings from Germany!
xx
Lynn

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:56 am

Thanks for the congrats, Lynn! I’m so happy to hear you’ve been loving the app. I hope you enjoy the smoothie if you give it a try!

ashley May 18, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve been following you for about a year now and love your recipes, your little stories, and your take on life! I even started a blog of my own which along with some of my own recipes, features my progress as I cook ALL the recipes from your cookbook. You’ve liked a few of my Tweets on the subject, which was such a thrill for me :) This week is the last week of my self-titled “#osgcookbook challenge” and I’m super excited – just 3 recipes to go!
I wanted to ask you – do you have any suggestions for substitutes for the apples in a lot of your smoothies? I have an allergy, so I’ve been using pears, but I’d love to explore other options. Thanks in advance!

Laura ~ Raise Your Garden May 19, 2016 at 6:23 am

Use pears here too and they work well (just because I have a high-producing pear tree though) No allergies to apples.

Anyhow, I’m so glad you mentioned the avocados boost fertility, huuuuuge issue for me and I’m trying to eat the fertility diet to increase my chances. If there are any other foods that might help me, please let me know!

Love the cilantro and parsley in here….always looking for more ways to incorporate nutritious herbs in my diet.

And Happy Belated Birthday Angela! The flowers your mom sent you are so pretty. How thoughtful =)

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Hey Ashley, I’ve been following your #osgcookbook challenge for a while now, and I’m super impressed by all the dishes you’ve made and shared! Thank you so much. I hope that even more people find your challenge now, and are inspired to do the same. As for subbing apples, I think pears are a great swap, but if you want to mix it up you can try changing up the flavours with mango, peaches, oranges, plums, grapes, or berries. Each fruit will change the flavour of the smoothie, so it kind of depends on the recipe, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those really! Let us know what you come up with.

Vanessa May 18, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Hi Angela! I just wanted to point out, since I imagine there are a lot of new and expectant mothers following you, that for women who already have low-supply issues with their breastmilk, intake of parsley and mint can further impact milk production. You may want to make a note that breastfeeding mothers should leave out the parsley and mint if they have any concerns about their supply.

Which reminds me: any plans to do your own lactation cookie/smoothie/bar recipe?? Congrats on your growing family!

Angela Liddon June 8, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing that, Vanessa! :) And I would love to make some lactation-friendly recipes in the future! The one I relied on the most during my first breastfeeding experience was my Flourless Thumbprint Cookies (the oats and flax are great!).

sarah Hagstrom May 18, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I totally agree, if you don’t make an effort it’s hard to get in lot’s of fresh vegetables each day. Green smoothies are my favorite way to get in vegetables fast. I love that this recipe uses a wide variety of veggies. I’m not usually a fan of cilantro in smoothies- sometimes it reminds me of drinking salsa, but I’m going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing – beautiful photos!

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:53 am

Green smoothies are great like that! I hope you enjoy this recipe when you get a chance to make it. :)

Nicole W May 18, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Happy Birthday! Only the very best of wishes and thoughts coming your way for the exciting year ahead!
I’ll definitely be trying this smoothie, I have been eating so many roasted veggies lately for some reason and am getting a little worn out on them. The “all day glow” is something I could use,too! I love the downloading of greens, all in one frosty glass :)

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:52 am

Aw, thanks for the kind birthday wishes, Nicole! I hope the smoothie gets you glowing :)

Nicole W May 20, 2016 at 1:46 pm
Recipe Rating:

Tried this today! Have been drinking it throughout the day. I mad mine with the mibt option and it is refreshing and sweetly “green” in flavour followed by the sweet mango flavour. The texture is creamier than I expected and I am loving this smoothie! Time to go see if I’m glowing…?

Denine May 18, 2016 at 8:12 pm

This looks divine! Can´t wait to make it. You´ve really got a little bit of everything in there! Yes, I totally get the pregnancy food obsession thing. BTW, I LOVE your cookbook and am hooked on your recipes! Happy glowing birthday!

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the bday wishes, Denine! I hope you absolutely love the smoothie when you give it a try. :)

Vegan Heaven May 19, 2016 at 2:33 am

This smoothie looks so healthy and delicious, Angela! I absolutely love mango in smoothies and can’t wait to give this one a try soon. Happy birthday! These flowers really are gorgeous!! :-)

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:49 am

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! :) I hope you love the smoothie when you give it a try.

Hairwonderfulday May 19, 2016 at 3:55 am

Yum! Sounds delicious! I always feel when summer is approaching I just want something more light but still full of nutrients. Going to make this for sure! xx

P.S you cant go wrong with turmeric, please more recipes with this beautiful ingredient! It oes wonderful things for our hair ;)

www.hairwonderfulday.com

Erin May 19, 2016 at 6:11 am

Angela,

I think it also lasts because the lemon juice acts as a preservative. When I make smoothies I often make a big batch and I always use lemon juice. I pour into smaller mason jars and the smoothies will keep 3-4 days in the fridge, making them easy to grab on the go and bring to work. I should add, I rarely use banana, so that probably makes a difference too :)

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:48 am

Oh, great point, Erin! :)

Nan-P May 19, 2016 at 6:51 am

Putting this on my must-make list for the weekend – thank you! And where did you find that adorable tablecloth/napkin/towel in the photos…love it too!

Seda Karaman May 19, 2016 at 7:05 am

Hey!

I absolutely love this recipe and I love your blog. I actually just started my own blog and just posted a smoothie recipe. Feel free to go and check it out, it would mean so much to me :) My blog is called The Kara Style and you can find it at sedakaraman.blogspot.co.uk

Seda xx

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:45 am

Hi Seda, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the smoothie, Seda! I’ll definitely have to go check your new blog out sometimes. I wish you the best of luck with it! Happy blogging :)

Andrea May 19, 2016 at 8:24 am

Hi,

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Just a hint: the effect of turmeric can be boosted and potentiated by adding a litte ground black pepper and even more by adding some good greases, oils or (nut) butters.

Thanks!

Chantal May 19, 2016 at 8:36 am

Hi Angela! Sounds like a great smoothie! :) You should add just a pinch of ground black pepper to this smoothie as it helps absorb the curcumin found in the turmeric. Just thought I’d let you know in case you didn’t know about this. :)

Laura May 19, 2016 at 8:59 am
Recipe Rating:

Pepper is a great idea Chantel. Just a punch and bioavailability properties of tumeric S curcumin skyrocket. Thanks for the tip!!

Janet May 19, 2016 at 10:47 am

Hi Angela. Happy belated birthday! And thanks for posting this smoothie recipe. I am definitely going to try it. I am not keen on mango, though (I know, my loss!) so is there another fruit that would work just as well to replace the juice and the mango chunks?

Angela Liddon May 26, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hey Janet, Thank you for the wishes! I would suggest frozen pineapple instead of mango. Let me know if you try it out.

Janet May 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Hi Angela. That’s a great idea! I love pineapple so I’ll test it out and will let you know what I think. I’m guessing it will be delicious!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 19, 2016 at 8:07 pm

You are speaking my language with this one, Ange! Now that it’s warming up a lot here, I’ve been getting back into my morning smoothie routine and can’t wait to try this one. I’ve got a healthy supply of turmeric on hand which I’ve been using for dips and curry, and will pick up the rest while I’m shopping this weekend. (PS Hope you had a spectacular birthday!) xo

Rose May 20, 2016 at 1:57 am

Happy birthday Angela! :) This recipe looks really good, I’ll be making it for breakfast this morning, thanks!

paul May 20, 2016 at 3:37 am

Happy birthday Angela nice recipe have learn a lot thanks for sharing.

suzanne May 20, 2016 at 7:23 am

Happy Belated birthday :)

This smoothie looks great – I need to venture out as I do the same smoothie daily. It is interesting what you said about the bananas as I always put 1/2 banana in my smoothie and when I go away I will make smoothies ahead of time to take with me….and they are always good. Not sure why….

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jennifer May 20, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I am in the early stages of pregnancy and I fear I am not getting enough veggies either! XD Right now I am blaming my wallet, I keep budgeting my grocery trips and only letting myself get so much produce. That should change soon since I am part of CSA and we pick up our first share at the end of the month… then I will have no choice but to eat tons of veggies or they go bad.

lauren May 21, 2016 at 7:49 am

This smoothie looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing.
I’ve recently set up a blog focused on cruelty-free living. I’d love to hear your feedback: http://www.respectandconnect.org/

Thanks!

Jackie May 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Just found your blog and excited about this recipe and others. Your pictures make me feel like the bottles are on my table ready to pour and drink. I live in Hawaii and shopping for anything here can be difficult. Please let me know what your bottles are called, where I can order them and do they com with covers since none are pictured. Mahalo and Happy Belared Birthday!

Angela Liddon May 27, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Hey Jackie, They are actually from a juicery in Toronto called Greenhouse Juice Co. I don’t think they will ship all the way to you unfortunately, heh. Hopefully you can source something nearby!

Rebekah May 21, 2016 at 1:38 pm

This looks great! Could fresh/frozen mango chunks be used instead of mango juice? How much chopped mango would you suggest?

Angela Liddon May 26, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Hey Rebekah, Good question! I’m sorry I haven’t tried anything else out yet, but if I do I will certainly update the recipe with a note! In the meantime if you try anything out please let us know. :)

Emily May 22, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

Loved this! I usually love my smoothies with frozen banana, but this smoothie was delicious without it. The granny smith apple and the mango together were really stellar. The addition of the avocado made it extremely creamy. This is my new go to get those extra greens in.

Angela Liddon May 24, 2016 at 9:30 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Emily! Thanks for the lovely comment.

Anna Lee May 23, 2016 at 12:23 pm

“I have to resist the urge to bake cookies on a daily basis.” That’s pretty much me every day hah. This smoothie looks fantastic! I too occasionally throw whatever I have on hand into my juicer or blender (but less because I’m inspired, and more because the veggies/fruits are past their prime and I want to use them before they go bad), and it definitely doesn’t come out as well as I had hoped. I drink it, but I sometimes have to chug it down. This looks so refreshing-I can’t wait to try it!
Happy belated birthday!!!

Angela Liddon May 24, 2016 at 9:24 am

I definitely got lucky with this recipe, Anna Lee! Thanks for the birthday wishes, and I hope you enjoy the smoothie if you give it a try. :)

Evelyn May 23, 2016 at 3:55 pm

This looks lovely! I just got back from a holiday where the vegan eating possibilities are quite meager (or even healthy eating possibilities), and this looks like just what I need after surviving on a vegan but rather unvaried diet. One question, I am not very fond of lettuce in my smoothies (although this one has got so many ingredients I might not even taste it?), and I was wondering if I could swap the lettuce for cucumber? As I’m trying to picture it, it should be fine, but maybe you’ve got some experience with this? Thanks for this lovely, veggie-laden recipe, and I hope you’re doing well!

Angela Liddon May 26, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Hey Evelyn, The lettuce flavour is noticeable, but I wouldn’t say overly so. I think the parsley and cilantro are much more pronounced! That said, I think the cucumber would add much more water to this smoothie, so you might only need half the amount, or even less. Maybe add it slowly? Let us know how it goes if you try it!

Evelyn May 30, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thank you for brainstorming with me about this! In the end I ribboned my leftover cucumber and put it on your miso power bowl (which was delicious, and that dressing ooohhh…). And in the backyard my spinach plant is getting out of control, so I decapitated it and put the leaves in my smoothie. There’s now a big batch waiting for me tomorrow morning and it looked VERY green but it smells like heaven! Okay and maybe I repeatedly dipped my fingers in it to lick them off because it was that good…

Magda May 24, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Hi Angela. is using ground turmeric an option? I only have that and none of the stores around me have fresh turmeric… Thanks :)

Angela Liddon May 25, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Hi Magda, I haven’t tried it yet, but I would start by using 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric. Taste it, and add another 1/4 teaspoon, if you like! I find the ground stuff is pretty potent tasting compared to using fresh, so I use a lighter hand for sure. I hope you enjoy it!

Judy G May 25, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela, I had heard about Oh She Glows from so many different people that I had to google and check out your blog. What an amazing resource, and as a photographer myself (underwater stuff mostly), I really appreciate the beautiful photos that you take and feature with your recipes. I tried out your green smoothie this morning and LOVED it! Unusual ingredients but oh so delicious and easy to make. I look forward to trying more of your healthy recipes!

Marilynn May 27, 2016 at 9:25 am

This recipe IS divine! I have made it several times and am thriving on it. Just wanted to share that tumeric needs oil to enhance absorption, so don’t omit the avocado!!

Ethan May 28, 2016 at 1:11 am

Lots of good ones here:

Kayla Walther June 6, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

LOVE this smoothie! I make a couple substitutions, such as ginger instead of turmeric (since that’s what I usually have on hand) and orange juice for the mango juice, since I also usually have OJ on hand. It’s a filling smoothie that does make you feel good especially on those sluggish mornings. I’ve been using this smoothie, the Happy Digestion (probably my favorite flavor), and the Green Warrior Protein Smoothie on rotation lately, and I can tell the difference in my health, energy levels and inflammation and digestion within my body! Making small changes like starting your morning with a green smoothie really do make a difference over time. Thank you for your awesome recipes and the easy to use app! I love pulling up my favorite smoothies on there in the morning :)

Jenny Travens June 9, 2016 at 4:27 am

Very healthy smoothie :) Packed with all so many ingredients. Keep sharing more recipes like this Angela

Katie June 16, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Recipe Rating:

Yum! I just made your recipe with only a few substitutions (I wanted to use what I had on hand)

Subbed:
Apple juice for mango juice
Pink apples for granny smith apples
Ground turmeric for fresh turmeric

It came out great! I especially loved the cilantro flavor. I’m going to the store tomorrow to buy more ingredients so I can keep making this :) Thanks for another great recipe!

Angela Liddon June 17, 2016 at 8:00 am

Thanks for sharing those substitutions, Katie! It’s always great to hear how my readers get creative with recipes. :)

Kristie June 17, 2016 at 8:41 am

I have to admit, the first time I tried this I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish the batch. But by the end of the day I was thinking it wasn’t so bad (knowing how incredibly healthy it was) and now I’m on my 3rd time making it and thinking how good it is. Just wanted to let others know to try sticking it out for a bit if it’s not love at first sip :).

Joyce June 18, 2016 at 3:49 am

Will make one today. Thanks for the recipe.

Ana June 19, 2016 at 9:46 pm

This green smoothie looks super fantastic and I love all the ingredients in it including the coconut water and granny smith apples! I’m definitely going to make this and give it a try :) I think I might also add some spinach as I usually add spinach to my smoothies (although, I like all green leafy vegetables). I agree it can sometimes be super tuff keeping up on the daily fruit and veggie intake. Smoothies are a good easy/fast way to get in veggies but also get more of them in too. :)

Angela Liddon June 20, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I hope you enjoy it if/when you give it a try, Ana!

Lauren in Virginia June 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

Hi Angela,

I am drinking this smoothie right now, for the first time. I love it. Because I am allergic to banana so many smoothies are off-limits for me, or else I have to figure out a substitute. This one is a perfect way for me to get all sorts of healthy goodness without taking the time to come up with a workaround for the banana. I was at an amusement park on Saturday and on another day trip yesterday, and I pretty much fell off the nutrition wagon. Today this smoothie is my detox, for both breakfast and lunch. Thank you for all of your hard work and your wonderful recipes. You and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Angela Liddon June 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I’m glad this recipe’s hitting the spot for you, Lauren!! Thanks so much for the kind and heartfelt comment. :)

Samantha June 29, 2016 at 10:36 am
Recipe Rating:

I LOVE THIS SMOOTHIE. Sometimes I get tired of the “typical green smoothie” taste that can be strangely sweet (usually because of a banana or some almond milk or spinach in the mix)… but this! With the mango and romaine and the parsely-cilantro combo. Wow, unique. This is sweet in a cleaner way, yet slightly spicy, and yet surprisingly green-y.

Gratitude! :)

Samantha June 29, 2016 at 10:41 am

Also– to make life easier in the mornings, I’ve started chopping all my greens the night before and placing them in a bowl in the freezer to use the next morning. This has been helpful on more than one level.

Angela Liddon June 29, 2016 at 11:26 am

I’m glad you’re enjoying the smoothie recipe, Samantha! Great idea about chopping the greens the night before. Sounds like an amazing time-saver!

Ally July 8, 2016 at 10:02 am

Hey Angela,

I don’t digest avocados well (sad, I know). Have any substitutes to recommend? I like the idea of the greens and veggies and this sounds awesome.

Shanai July 11, 2016 at 8:48 am

I try and have a green smoothie each day, especially at the moment in Winter to help fight off colds. This one sounds delicious! I love following your recipes!

Angela Liddon July 11, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I hope you love this recipe, too, if you give it a try, Shanai!

Heidi Conroy July 28, 2016 at 8:56 am

DELICIOUS !!!

Louise O'Brien August 1, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Hi Angela, I would like to ask you about yoghurt? I am totally plant based apart from my no fat greek yoghurt which has 21 g of protein and 4g of sugar. I cannot find a store bought vegan alternative that has nearly the same protein and as little sugar. Do you know what a home made yoghurt might have? I eat it every day for breakfast, with oats and blueberries, I don’t want to change my breakfast I’m afraid… Any thoughts?

Louise

Amanda August 3, 2016 at 10:36 am

This is exactly what I needed. The flavors are amazing – almost as amazing as I feel after drinking this magnificent creation. If health had a flavor, this would be it! Even in my crummy, 15 year old blender, I was able to blend this to perfection. For those of you with an older, less fancy blender, I would suggest blending the liquids and the greens first, then the solid stuff. Thank you for this!

Angela Liddon August 3, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Amanda – and the awesome comment! So glad you enjoyed the smoothie.

Linda Brown August 26, 2016 at 1:40 pm

First of all a belated ‘Happy Birthday’ and secondly, Congrats as your family is getting bigger!
I consider myself lucky that I came across your site. I’ve a bias for veggies and especially, green smoothies. Your smoothie looks celestial, I’m sure so will it taste. I just can’t wait to give it a try. Will come back to share my experience in the next comment. Until then, cheers!

Angela Liddon August 29, 2016 at 10:43 am

Hey Linda, thanks for the belated birthday wishes and congrats!! I hope you enjoy the smoothie, and look forward to hearing back from you. :)

Kristin September 15, 2016 at 7:58 am
Recipe Rating:

I love this recipe and make it on a regular basis. Thank you. I have a quick question for you…where did you get the jars that you use for storage in your pantry? The jars I am talking about are in your latest book “Oh She Glows Ever Day”. They are shown on pages 291, 292, 295, & 297. I love all of your books and have given them as gifts to my family and friends. Thank you for all that you do! Kristin

Angela Liddon September 16, 2016 at 11:48 am

Hey Kristin, Thank you so much for your kind words about the book! Those jars are actually Ashley’s (from the blog Edible Perspective) as she shot the photos. My guess is that they are from Crate and Barrel as they look like ones that I have too. :)

Sarah Fitschen September 27, 2016 at 10:23 am

Yes!! I’ve been looking for new green smoothie combinations and this recipe looks incredible!

Best,
Sarah
www.ladyappleseed.co

Angela Liddon September 28, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Hey Sarah, I hope you like this one if you give it a try!

Terry November 10, 2016 at 9:53 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow! Had to try it. Delicious! Felt like I gave my body a boost! Will continue making this smoothie.

Angela Liddon November 14, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Terry :)

GarageGymPlanner December 27, 2016 at 5:15 am
Recipe Rating:

Thanks so much !!! I tried this at home and my wife really loved it and she got impressed with me.Once again thanks for the idea!

Angela Liddon December 28, 2016 at 11:06 am

I’m glad it was a hit!!

Nicole January 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Hi! I have recently discovered your blog and have two of your cookbooks and from the recipes I have tried I am in love! I am big into smoothies right now, but cannot eat banana or avocado. I have noticed all your smoothies recipes contain one or the other, do you have any substitution suggestions?

Angela Liddon March 17, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Hi Nicole, Thanks so much for your support for my cookbooks and blog. As to your question, it depends a bit on the smoothie. Did you have a particular smoothie in mind? Sometimes mango is a good alternative, as it adds that bit of creamy thickness back in (and sweetness, too, if it’s the banana you’re omitting). Other frozen fruits that go well with the smoothie’s flavours, or a bit of coconut cream, can also work well as alternatives for bulking a smoothie up. It really depends on what flavours you’re working with/aiming for! Hope this helps.

JQ Belle January 26, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Hi –

I am sensitive to mangoes – what would be a good replacement for their tangy edge?

Thanks for all the nommy recipes. I am Gluten free, dairy free, and nightshade free – finding recipes is a challenge. So Glad I found your site.

JQ Belle

Angela Liddon January 31, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Hi there! I’d suggest trying some frozen pineapple instead of mango. If you test out that swap, please let me know how you like it!

Dima January 29, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Recipe Rating:

Loved this smoothie. There are so many layers of fresh taste.
btw your website and books are my references for all my cooking!

Loren February 9, 2017 at 4:45 am
Recipe Rating:

Loved this smoothie! My first adventure into green smoothies and it’s so fresh and delicious! Love that it’s banana-free too as I’m not a fan of them! Thank you!

Jessica April 30, 2017 at 2:48 pm

From last two months, I started to drink smoothies. And day by day I can’t live a day without a glass of smoothies. I will try this one for sure. Thanks, Angela!

Joanna June 11, 2017 at 10:45 am

Love this smoothie although I don’t add cilantro, like you said.. I am not a fan but really good recipe thank you Angela!

www.jojosvegankitchen.com

Julia Kruz July 10, 2017 at 9:04 am
Recipe Rating:

Hello Angela! Thank You for your recipe.I love veggies. After my workout i always try to eat something like green smoothies or vegetables and i will definitely try your recipe!

Chan July 26, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Hi – I put this smoothie on my meal plan for next week and wondered if you could suggest a substitute for parsley? It’s the one herb I don’t do well with. Thanks!

Angela Liddon July 28, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Hey Chan, I think fresh mint would be a fantastic swap! Although I probably wouldn’t add a full 2/3 cup…maybe start with 1/4 cup of fresh mint?

Audrey Ann Stephanski August 2, 2017 at 10:36 am

Can I use silken tofu in place of the avocado? (I’m allergic). Do you know if it will keep in the fridge like the basic recipe?

Angela Liddon August 8, 2017 at 9:17 am

Hey Audrey, Oh good question! I haven’t tried silken tofu in smoothies before. Does it tend to blend up into a creamy whipped texture? if so, it just might work okay. I would start with a smaller amount and add to taste rather than all at once just in case the flavour overwhelms the other flavours.

Helen Jakes September 12, 2017 at 4:20 am

I’ve also never used or indeed heard of using silken tofu in a smoothie recipe. I have however, taken your advice and tried this for myself. To my amazement this recipe is nothing short of beautiful. Now I have to share with all my family! Sometimes I should learn to keep things to myself :) Thanks for this Angela.

Gala Angelica September 14, 2017 at 6:21 pm
Recipe Rating:

Great Smoothie recipe but I would rather do it in juice machine

mary September 21, 2017 at 6:18 am
Recipe Rating:

Love this smoothie although I don’t add cilantro like you said. I am not a fan but really good recipe thank you, Angela!

Shannon Coulter September 25, 2017 at 10:23 am
Recipe Rating:

Am so happy to have found this recipe! After eating lots of rich foods on vacation, I needed a reset. This is a delightful smoothie, with a fresh, light, vibrant flavor. The slight sweetness added by the small amounts of mango juice & chunks is nicely balanced by the lemon juice, fresh turmeric, and green herbs. I actually dislike most green smoothies, but found this one delicious because the overall flavor profile is still slightly sweet, but that invigorating herbal quality is there too. The creaminess added by the small amount of avocado completes the package. I can tell it will be a go to. As I was making it, I admit I wondered whether or not it was worth dealing with so many ingredients, but it absolutely is. I made it 100% according to the recipe and used my small (40 ounce) Vitamix. Appreciated the advice to make in batches, due to to the smaller size of my blender.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Hey Shannon, I’m so happy to hear how much you enjoyed this smoothie! Thanks for your helpful review. :)

Miranda December 31, 2017 at 11:25 am

LOVED IT!
I added a banana : ) because I absolutely love bananas in everything always have a ton frozen in the freezer.

I recently found out I have quite a few food sensitivities, your website and your app have been a life saver.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2018 at 8:27 am

Hey Miranda, You definitely can’t go wrong with a banana thrown in! Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope 2018 is off to a great start for you!

Chelsey April 16, 2018 at 9:11 am
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela! I have loved your recipes and cookbooks for awhile now! The overnight oats are a household favourite! I recently started having green smoothies and I have never felt better, except for the last few days where I have added coconut butter/manna into my smoothie for added protein because I was feeling hungry after having my green smoothies, except recently I started noticing a sore throat after the coconut in the smoothie (I do not have any food allergies). Any thoughts on this? I would love to continue having the green smoothies but without the hunger and sore throat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2018 at 7:39 am

Hey Chelsey, Oh that’s strange for sure! Have you noticed this with other coconut products before? Maybe try leaving it out and seeing if that makes a difference?
Thanks by the way for all the recipe and cookbook love! I’m so happy you enjoy them so much.