Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

veggiericenoodlesalad 8229   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Now that I’m carting around a small watermelon-sized bump, I find myself relying on quick and easy recipes more than ever. My feet just don’t want to be on the ground for long come 7pm, especially since I spend a lot of the day on my feet testing recipes. So, I figure now is a great time to build on my quick and easy recipe collection to help us get through the next several months (years?). No matter what your particular situation, I think there’s always a demand for healthy, delicious meals that don’t take long to throw together. I hope to showcase more of these recipes in the months to come. With summer around the corner, this seems like the perfect time to kick it off!

veggiebrownricenoodlebowl   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

This is one such easy meal that we’ve been making lately (when I can peel myself away from the watermelon and kiwi, that is) and it’s on the table in 30 minutes flat. Noodle bowls are awesome because you can customize them any way you like – a total clean out the fridge kind of meal. If I have some veggies on their last legs (rubbery celery, I’m looking at you), they are brought back to life in a noodle bowl.

This is a flavourful and comforting meal without feeling heavy in the slightest. Just like the noodle bowls in my cookbook, I use a small amount of noodles (rather than a whole package) and pair it with several cups of vegetables for lots of nutrition and fibre-packed satiety. The julienned carrots add a pasta-like texture, softening like a noodle when heated. It’s my secret to keeping the meal light and energizing without feeling like you’re missing out on those comforting, starchy noodles.

noodlebowlvegan   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Speedy Veggie 'n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free

By

5 from 6 reviews
print icon   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

A veggie-packed, light-on-the-noodles noodle bowl that's paired with a quick and easy homemade Teriyaki sauce. The sauce isn't traditional by any means - I've swapped the soy sauce for coconut aminos (a great low-sodium option) and the Mirin (sweet rice wine) for seasoned rice vinegar. It turned out great regardless. Go ahead and customize this noodle bowl with whatever you have hanging around. I made lots of Teriyaki sauce so you’ll have some to bring the leftovers back to life the next day. Also, feel free to change up the protein source. I used frozen shelled edamame because it’s so quick, but fried tofu would also be tasty. Teriyaki sauce is inspired by allrecipes.com.

Yield
2-3 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE:
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (see note)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 3 to 4 1/2 teaspoons coconut sugar (or granulated sugar of choice), to taste
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • fresh ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE NOODLE BOWL:
  • 3 ounces/85g gluten-free brown rice soba noodles (or soba noodles of choice)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
  • 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 3/4 cup shelled frozen edamame
  • 2-3 medium carrots, julienned
  • 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 teaspoons sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions:

1. Prepare the sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until combined. Set aside.
  2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
  3. For the noodle bowl: Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the oil and coat the pan. Add the broccoli florets, celery, and 2 tablespoons of Teriyaki sauce and saute for about 7-9 minutes, reducing heat if necessary.
  4. When the water boils, add the noodles and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook the noodles as instructed on the package directions (about 4-5 minutes for most soba rice noodles). Drain.
  5. Add the frozen edamame and julienned carrots to the skillet and saute another 5 minutes, or until the edamame is heated throughout.
  6. Stir the drained noodles into the stir-fry mixture along with 2/3 of the Teriyaki sauce. Cook for a couple minutes and then serve immediately with a garnish of sliced green onion and sesame seeds.
  7. Store leftovers in a container in the fridge for 1- 2 days. To re-heat leftovers, add them into a skillet with a bit of oil. Pour on the leftover dressing and toss to coat. Heat over medium until heated throughout and serve immediately.

Notes: I used coconut aminos (which is very low in sodium), but feel free to use low-sodium tamari instead. I recommend adding it to taste since it has a higher sodium content than coconut aminos so you might not need as much. To get more servings out of this dish, feel free to add more soba noodles.

Soy-free option: Omit the edamame and replace with adzuki beans, chickpeas or another bean of choice. Use coconut aminos instead of tamari.

gluten-free option: Use gluten-free soba noodles such as brown rice or buckwheat. Be sure to check the label of your tamari and other ingredients as well.

sesameseeds 8281   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

vegannoodlebowl 8264   Speedy Veggie ‘n Brown Rice Noodle Bowl with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Sammi @Sammi Sunshine June 3, 2014

Woah! This looks incredible. I want to reach through the screen and devour a bowl right now! I know what I’m having for dinner soon. :)

Millie June 3, 2014

This looks super delicious and light – perfect for summer! I love that it’s packed with vegetables too! Great recipe once again Angela :)
youtube.com/addalittlefood

Cassie June 3, 2014

Noodle bowls are my favourite (especially when it’s hot outside and I don’t feel like heating up the house), and this one looks super yummy!

Erin June 3, 2014

So yum! I’ve actually been making something super similar lately (soba with edamame, carrots, onions, etc.) and have just been winging a teriyaki sauce with soy sauce, chili paste, and ginger which was good but a bit too salty and lacking some more complex flavors. I’ll have to try your sauce next time I make this!

Stephanie June 3, 2014

Looks great!! Where can I find coconut aminos?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2014

Hey Stephanie, check the natural foods or the ethnic cuisine sections of the grocery stores. Whole Foods and Organic Garage carries it. You can also use low-sodium tamari too. Hope this helps!

Colleen June 24, 2014

I live in a VERY rural area…whole foods, trader joe’s, etc., all about a 45 min. drive from me. Vitacost.com is where I buy my coconut aminos, assuming you don’t need it immediately. They are the main suppliers of the coconut aminos for amazon.com, and cheaper than buying from amazon. shipping typically takes about 3 days, so even that wasn’t bad! Always have sales on the aminos…and if you ebates, they participate. :) Just throwing that out there too. :)

Tina Muir June 3, 2014

Wow! You read my mind, stirfrys are a runners dream food! I especially love adding rice noodles to mine. So glad to see i can now make my own teriyaki dressing that i know my body will love as much as my tastebuds. Every little helps when you are an elite, so this will help me stay on track, and get all the nutrition I need. YUM!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan June 3, 2014

I have rice noodles to use up sooo this looks perfect! : )

Amy June 3, 2014

Looks great! I’ll try it next week for sure- I’ve got some celery that will be on its last legs by then and my CSA broccoli and carrots are coming Friday!

I was wondering- fast and easy meal featuring julienned carrots- how do you julienne them quick? It always takes me FOREVER with a knife, and I’ll admit I’m scared of my mandolin….

Nicole June 3, 2014

Pampered Chef (and Zyliss, I think) makes a peeler that juliennes things. Quick & easy, and you won’t lose your fingers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2014

I use the Zyliss julienne peeler (linked in my post) – works like a charm! I will say I’ve had some close calls with my fingers though, hah.

Kate June 3, 2014

Before ordering a Zyliss peeler, you should check out the recent reviews on Amazon -seems they are having some quality control issues at present, or a bad manufacturing change.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2014

That’s not good – hopefully they get things sorted out soon!

Lynette July 5, 2014

I would give the Pampered Chef julienne peeler a try. I ordered the Zyliss peeler and it took forever to get through 3 carrots. The blade popped out every couple of peels, even with very low pressure, and I had to search for the pieces and reassemble. They definitely need to work on quality control!

Lynette July 5, 2014

But other than that snafu this bowl was excellent! We just ate the entire thing and my husband loved it! Thank you!

Jacki @ Two Forks One Love June 3, 2014

Yum! I’m totally going to make this next week for Meatless Monday!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh June 3, 2014

If you happen to see a pair of size 11′s sticking out of your bowl, it’s because I dove head first into it. This looks DIVINE!

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 3, 2014

Angela this is just gorgeous! Fast, easy, stir fries are where it’s at but this one looks like you slaved over it – seriously so pretty! That teriyaki sauce must be awesome with the liquid aminos, red pepper flakes, coconut sugar, I’d be all over that stuff! pinned

Giovanna June 3, 2014

I am all for fast and delicious dinners!

Holly June 3, 2014

I was literally just wondering how to make a nice homemade teriyaki sauce last night, perfect!

Jill June 3, 2014

Looks great! Those pictures made me hungry, so it’s a good thing it’s almost lunch!

Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget June 3, 2014

This is one speedy meal! Noodle bowls and stir drys are my favorites, so this looks like a winner to me. Thanks for sharing.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 3, 2014

Nom nom nom! Looks delish. Love all the colors!

Romina June 3, 2014

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it out. Can I omit the oil in the dressing?

kathy June 3, 2014

This looks so yummy, I can’t wait to give it a try.

Andrea June 3, 2014

Mmm! I think I’ll make this tomorrow! What brand of soba noodles did you use?

Melissa | Suitcase and Heels June 3, 2014

I’m working a new job though that has longer hours so I’m really in the market for quick meals. I love the idea of making my own sauces too since I can make what I need and not end up with a fridge full of partially used bottles of store-bought sauce.

Nicole June 3, 2014

Years… it will be years. I have an 18 month old, and we’re going through the toddler stage here for the 3rd time. I have very limited quality time in the kitchen, and I appreciate quick and healthy meals, because sometimes its quite the challenge to get dinner on the table. Thanks, this looks delicious! :)

Polly @ Tasty Food Project June 3, 2014

The homemade teriyaki sauce sounds so delicious! I’m a big fan of soba noodles so I’ll definitely pin this recipe and give it a try!

Amanda June 3, 2014

So far every recipe of yours that I’ve tried has been a huge success… this one is next and I’m already expecting it to be a favorite.

Kim June 3, 2014

Angela, have you seen the new black bean pasta at Costco? The only ingredients are black beans + water! Half their dry weight is protein and the texture is amazing! I am going to try this recipe with those noodles!

Marcie June 3, 2014

I just made this for dinner. I wasn’t sure what to make and this was so easy to put together with what I had in the fridge. I used bok choy from my CSA in it also! I didn’t have soba noodles in the pantry so I just used some whole wheat spaghetti noodles!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2014

great subs! Thanks for your feedback.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 3, 2014

So many yummy flavours in this!!

Lindsay June 3, 2014

WOW, another great recipe from you that I must try. I feel like the only meals I make are yours :) You’re the best!

Jaime June 3, 2014

I was on my own tonight for dinner and was dreaded making anything. Until I saw this post! I had almost everything, already…so it was a no Brainer! I subbed in spiraled zucchini and regular white onion instead. I need to get a julienne peeler though. It was a delish meal!!!/

Jessica Q June 3, 2014

I’m pretty sure you can see into my refrigerator!!! Sad, limp broccoli and celery, aging carrots, and an open package of noodles…check! I had all the ingredients on hand made this tonight, it was awesome! Your teriyaki sauce in this recipe is perfect.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2014

hah sounds like my produce this week! ;) So happy you enjoyed it Jessica.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2014

Mm sounds great Ange! And now I have a use for the rest of my bottle of coconut aminos that we bought that one day at Whole Foods! (It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it – I just find myself grabbing the tamari on a regular basis instead. Creature of habit, I suppose!) And about the watermelon….can’t.get.enough! In fact, sometimes it looks like I’ve got one inside me too! #watermelonbaby ;)

Jen June 3, 2014

Yay! I am always looking for gluten free asian recipes to satiate my craving for take out Chinese food. Can’t wait to try the teriyaki sauce.

Jessica June 4, 2014

Kelp noodles are really good too! You can find them in the yogurt-y section of whole foods. Totally glutin and grain free! amazon.com/Sea-Tangle-Noodle-Kelp-Noodles/dp/B0019JTH96

Lindsay June 3, 2014

Thanks so much for posting a quick week night recipe! This could also be made with “Explore Asian” brand organic black bean spaghetti. Bought it from Costco a few weeks back: only ingredients are black beans and water, and. It cooks up just like any other pasta. So tasty!

Davina June 3, 2014

I only have regular rice vinegar. Is the seasoned version essential? If so, is there something I can add to the sauce to make up for the lack of seasoning in my rice vinegar? Thanks!

Jen June 3, 2014

Made this tonight for dinner. It was so good! Husband and little brother approved which is not easy to do :) Putting this one in my recipe box

Nicole June 3, 2014

I was just thinking about using up my soba noodles on my mission to clean out my pantry and you posted this recipe! I didn’t have everything on hand, so I subbed green peas for the broccoli and celery, and then added some cucumber, basil, and cilantro at the end. The teriyaki sauce was perfect! Thanks for the quick and easy recipe!

Nickie June 3, 2014

The Double Chocolate Dessert Bars were soooooo goooood! Cannot wait to try this Noodle Bowl! You are THE BEST!!!!

Karissa @ Vegan À La Mode June 3, 2014

I have to make this! My boyfriend LOVES teriyaki noodles/rice and I haven’t tried making him a healthy at-home version yet so this is definitely something I need to serve up for him! Love that it calls for coconut aminos since lately I’ve been opting for that instead of tamari. Thanks for another great recipe :)

Samina | The Cupcake Confession June 4, 2014

This is such a super easy and delicious dinner idea! I love how this takes less than 30 mins to prep. I’ve just graduated from college and planning to take up higher education {part time} and also work in the mornings. This is the perfect dinner after I get home hungry, HANGRY and tired! Loved it! Totally Pinning!

Amata Molnar June 4, 2014

Angela, This looks so delicious! But really, I just wanted to say thanks for ALL your wonderful recipes, here on your blog and in the cookbook. I haven’t tried one yet that I didn’t like! The time and attention you put into your recipes really shows, and the cookbook is by far the most lovely I have ever owned. Thank You :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2014

Thank you so much Amata! I appreciate your kind words. :)

Kendra June 4, 2014

I was so happy to see the coconut aminos in this recipe! I always replace soy sauce or tamari in a recipe with it because I’m allergic to soy.

Page 1 of 3123»