The First Trimester

I’m sitting down on a Friday night writing this first entry and I’m currently 18 weeks pregnant. Suddenly, the first trimester feels like ages ago. I meant to start writing earlier, but with everything that’s happened since January, well, here we are. I seriously can’t believe how quickly it’s flying by! I’m sure I won’t be saying this when I’m in the final weeks though…hah.

January 11th was the day I found out that we’re expecting our first baby. I think it took me about 4 different pregnancy tests (from different brands) before I actually believed it. When I found out, I started a pregnancy journal so I could keep track of pregnancy experiences and cravings. I can’t say I’ve been super diligent about updating the journal, but I did try my best with everything going on! My due date is Sept. 22, 2014 and it feels so close already.

Jan 11th: I took a first response pregnancy test the day before I was supposed to get my period and it was positive! On the test, the second line was quite faint and I wasn’t sure it was a true positive result. After some reading online, the consensus was “a line is a line!” so I immediately spent the entire morning (I was wide awake at 5am) trying to plan how I was going to surprise Eric.

Note: You can read how I surprised Eric in this post.

Did I have any signs that I was pregnant? Yes, a few hints. A few days after ovulating (I can’t remember how many days after it was) I remember getting some brief cramping in the pelvic area which seemed much too early to be PMS cramps. I later read this could be called implantation cramping. A couple days before I took the pregnancy test, I also felt nauseous in the morning. In the back of my mind I knew something was different in my body. It’s not like me at all to feel nauseous or not to be able to eat all my food (hahah), so I knew something was up. I was also really, really tired and going to bed early all week. I figured it was just PMS because the symptoms were similar, but in the back of my mind I did wonder if this was something different.

Jan 13th: Still feeling nauseous. I fought back tears through parts of The Bachelor tonight (which is hilarious because it’s the worst season ever), so I thought that was pretty damn funny! Recently, Eric and I booked a trip to visit my mom and stepdad in February. I will only be 7/8 weeks pregnant on the trip, but I really want to tell them the news while we are there. Plus, if I didn’t my mom might figure it out anyway! In other news, I can’t get enough of pineapple!!! Eating it nonstop for days.

Jan. 14th: Up at 5:30am once again. I can’t sleep lately. Hot cocoa and chocolate muffins are very appealing this morning for some reason, but I’m way too lazy to do anything about it. Still taking all of my vitamins (more on this in a future post). I ordered custom onesies from Etsy for the grandparents-to-be last night! The onesies say “I love grandma and grandpa: coming September 22, 2014”. A side effect from pregnancy I never expected – my skin is finally clear and blemish-free (spoiler alert: this did NOT last).

Jan. 17th: I am soooo angry and irritable today. It’s like the worst PMS ever. I don’t even want to be around myself. Serenity now!

Jan 18th: So it all ended up working out ok (yesterday’s problems) and I’m happy for that. I’m still waking up at all hours of the night and I have a very hard time staying asleep consistently. I hear this is called first trimester insomnia? I will blame the hormones once again!

Jan 22: Nausea comes on stronger at night time, especially after eating dinner. I have no appetite and zero desire to make recipes. Eric is missing all his usual treats. I’m also so tired this week! All I want to do is stay on the couch! This has been very challenging as I’m someone who likes to be on my feet as much as possible. I’m going a bit stir crazy up in here.

Jan 23: I met the girls for lunch today and it was really hard not telling them I’m pregnant. It still feels a bit early. I’ll wait until end of February though. My prenatal blood tests came back normal! yay! That includes my iron which was the highest it’s been in years. Good news all around.

Jan 28 (6 weeks): Still feeling like poo on a stick (whatever that is) and trying my best to function with everything going on with the upcoming book launch and house renovations (we just bought a house this month). It takes all of my energy to do my plank workout each morning. That counts as a solid workout right? hah. Cardio will have to wait until I’m feeling better because I couldn’t even imagine trying to work out right now. Nope, you couldn’t pay me to workout while feeling like this. Today, I bought a bag of salt and vinegar chips and I demolished the entire bag. It’s been so long since I ate a bag of chips and it was so necessary. Salt, salt, salt…that’s all I’m craving these days…oh and PINEAPPLE! pineapple for DAYS!

A peek of the house renos:

houserenos 183128   The First Trimester

Jan 30: Cravings of late: Salt and vinegar chips, pico de gallo (I think I demolished 3 containers in 3 days), pineapple, and this incredible kale salad at the WF salad bar. I have an appetite mid-afternoon so I have to eat a lot then because I don’t have much of an appetite in the morning or evening when nausea peaks. Going to bed by 9pm seems to be a theme this week…I can’t even stay up for my favourite shows!

Feb 2 (7 weeks): Found out my dad had to have an emergency surgery procedure after a routine medical procedure went horribly wrong. I’m so worried about him…his recovery is going to be challenging. We’ll have to wait to surprise him with the news since he’s on some strong medications right now.

Feb 8: We’re visiting my mom and stepdad this week and I’m full of nerves about surprising them. The day we arrived we gave my mom a gift with the onesie that read “I love grandma and grandpa – coming Sept. 22, 2014” My mom’s reaction was priceless! It took her a couple moments to let it all sink in and then we both burst into happy tears! My sister Kristi also Skyped us while on the trip so we told them the news too. I love my nephew’s comment, “I vote for a girl. Will this make me a big brother??” hah! The trip was nice and the weather was beautiful, the only problem was that I was very sick most of the trip (morning sickness and I got a cold near the end) and Eric was sick as well. Oh well, we will get ‘em next time! I’m just happy we got to surprise them in person.

Feb 15th: Back from trip and I came down with a horrible flu…I feel miserable! I can’t remember the last time I was this sick. I’m also feeling depressed, hormonal, anxious, and emotional all of a sudden. I’m having all these doubts that I can do this and pregnancy books are freaking me.the.hell.out. so I’m just avoiding them for now. I sure hope this passes soon. I’ll mention it to my OB at the next visit. [Update: The anxiety and depression lasted for a few weeks – I guess it’s pretty common in the first trimester, and I'm relieved to hear this. I’m so grateful that it eventually passed!]

Feb 26 (10 weeks): Sketchie had exploratory surgery last week for his bowel issues and today we found out he has lymphoma. I’m absolutely heart broken and uncertain of what the future holds for him. I don’t want to lose him. This has been a very, very sad week with lots of tears.

March 3 (11 weeks): My book launches this week. So much excitement and nerves going on. I almost threw up before my morning TV spots on Canada AM and Steven and Chris. That would not have been cool. It didn’t help that I had to get up at 4am I guess. They both went well though so it’s all good. :) I’m really glad I pushed myself to do it because it was a great experience and everyone was super friendly!

IMG 20140306 120841   The First Trimester

photo 1   The First Trimester

March 8: I ATE ALL THE DRIED CHERRIES! Dried sweetened cherries taste just like fruit rolls ups. Are you guys aware of this? Seriously. I’m obsessed. They are my sweet snack of choice right now.

March 10 (12 weeks): Ultrasound today! The baby wasn’t moving much at first (and of course I was worried) and then the tech finally realized that I had a super full bladder. I think I overdid it on the water front! After emptying my bladder baby had more room and the wiggling began! I still can’t believe this baby is inside me…it’s so surreal.

March 11-12: got a really horrible migraine and was throwing up. I can barely function right now, but I’m trying my best to keep up with the cookbook media, Sketchie’s recovery, and the move. I’m still not feeling like myself at all.

March 13: I’ve been all about romaine lettuce and popsicles this week. I guess it’s safe to say that I definitely haven’t had an aversion to greens because I’m eating salad everyday. Also, apples and chickpeas are high on the craving list! Many times though, nothing sounds appetizing. I open the fridge, look around, and I can’t think of one thing I want to eat. It’s so weird. I also have a very strong aversion to meat…if I see a hamburger on TV I almost gag.

March 14: had a very vivid dream that I had a baby boy and he had this adorable big smile and was laughing in my arms. Is this a sign of the gender?? We’ll have to wait until week 19 to find out! Eric thinks it’s a girl. I initially did too, but after having that dream I’m now thinking boy…

March 16: We told my BIL and SIL, Steve and Joanne, the big news today! We were giving them a tour of the new house and when we got to the future nursery Eric said, “And this will be the baby’s room…” Joanne was like, “Sketchie’s room??” and I said,  “no, a BABY!” And they were confused for a second but eventually they clued in. It was funny.

March 17 (13 weeks): We told Eric’s parents the big news today! We mailed them a package that said do not open until St Patrick’s day [on Skype with us]. They had a few days of curiosity. So we booked the Skype call on St Paddy’s Day because it’s a special day for them. Margaret opened up the package (and my father-in-law was there beside her) and when they saw the onesie that said “world’s best grandparents: Coming soon Sept 22” Margaret started screaming oh my gosh…and got teary (so did I!). Ken was very excited too. It was a great moment!

pregnancy14weeks 6649   The First Trimester

March 24 (14 weeks): Today I blogged about my news. I felt so nervous hitting publish, but I also feel relieved that it’s not a secret anymore. :) Craving: GRAPEFRUIT – I’m eating 2 a day, sometimes 3 and peeing is a full time job.

Ok, so I went into the 2nd trimester a little bit, but there you have it in a nutshell. It was a crazy few months with a lot of ups and downs. I can’t even begin to tell you how much better I feel in the second trimester! I’m so much happier and I feel much more like myself. One thing is for sure, it’s all for a great cause. This little baby is already loved so much.

Thanks for indulging me in my random first trimester rambles. More soon… =)

Alice April 26, 2014

I’m so glad someone else is freaked out by all the pregnancy books! People just keep passing me on their old ones, which is so sweet, but I can’t even open them.
Good luck with everything and I truly look forward to some vegan baby meal recipes in the future. I am constantly asked if I will raise my baby vegan when the answer is “of course!”

Michelle April 26, 2014

Great post ! Cant wait to see more!

Kelly Kozlowski April 26, 2014

Congratulations! Welcome to the mommy club, and more love than you could possibly imagine!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 26, 2014

Love it! It just keeps getting better and better too! I vote boy!!!

Kristin April 27, 2014

I had similar symptoms and cravings…I vote boy too! So excited for the two of you and glad your earlier morning sickness symptoms have calmed a bit. I’m loving your cookbook. It’s beautiful! Congratulations on your success!

Carol April 27, 2014

Very happy for you!

Kristin LeTellier April 27, 2014

Angela,
I’m so glad you made a baby section of the blog – it’s fun to read about this happy and exciting time in your life! Congratulations!! :)
-Kristin

Cristy April 27, 2014

Yay! I’m actually on my last day of my first trimester with my first baby and can TOTALLY relate to what you typed. Between the fatigue, nausea, hormones, and cravings it’s amazing I’m still sane! Congratulations :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 27, 2014

Congrats to you too Cristy!! So glad you are coming out on the other side ;)

ali janine April 27, 2014

great post! thanks for sharing :D

Lana Brander April 27, 2014

Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog since before I had my first son in 2010, and I now have another boy who was born in 2012. I’m now pregnant with my 3rd and due on Sept 20th, 2014 so quite close to you. I have my ultrasound next week where I will find out what I’m having! Good luck with everything!

Kaity September 12, 2014

Hi there!

I love the ohsheglows website and I just found out that she is having a baby~ and I read here that you are as well! I am vegan and I have lots of questions about veganism and having children. You said you have had 3 now, and I was wondering if you could give me any information on the topic! I am 26 years old, not pregnant, but wanting to learn for when that time comes. Thanks for your time! I’d love if you got back to me :)
Have a wonderful day!!
Bless,
Kaity

Vanessa April 27, 2014

I enjoyed your post. I am about to start my third trimester and appreciated the walk down first trimester memory lane. I loved this second trimester. I hope you are loving every minute of yours!

Keri April 27, 2014

My due date was January 11 :), but my little guy had other plans & showed up 10 days late! Looks like your little one is already changing your life too. Wish I would have kept better track of pregnancy like this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2014

they certainly have a mind of their own!
I did ok keeping track for the first couple months, but then it went off the rails. I need to get back into it so it’s not a blur when I write my next recap.

Michelle April 27, 2014

CONGRATULATIONS!
When I was pregnant, I craved the EXACT same things – Salt and Vinegar chips (which I usually hate) and pineapple! I remember eating so much pineapple that I burnt my tongue!! (Who knew pineapple could do such a thing!)
I ended up having a baby girl, and I have a feeling you might too! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2014

Thanks Michelle! So interesting about your cravings & having a baby girl. We find out the sex tomorrow and I am dying to know.

Danielle April 28, 2014

This is amazing. Love it. Keep em’ coming!

Sarah April 28, 2014

I’m a Mom of four little ones and I craved pineapple and salt/vinegar chips with each pregnancy too! (despite different genders). Pineapple is a really commom pregnancy craving! Congrats!

Tania April 29, 2014

I am so happy for you. It is such a wonderful time. You will be externally grateful to yourself for keeping these notes from your pregnancy. There is a great book called something like “How The Mind Develops in the First Five Years of Life” I wish I had read it during pregnancy. I did read it after my son turned one. Very great read.

Also, someone recommended taking a picture on every monthly birthday of your child in the same spot, with the same stuffed animal. We did this and I just cherish those photos. Now (he’s 5) we do the same photo each birthday. I wish now I would have taken his photo every week for five years. It goes so quickly.

One craving I had that I thought was a magical combination was mangos and grapefruit. I told all my friends how amazing it was. Then, I tried it after birth and was like, “oh, not so great.”

Looking forward to the Glow Baby blog. :-)

Vicky April 29, 2014

Hi Angela,
So happy for you guys! I have been vegan for one year and feel absolutely amazing. I love your website and your cookbook. I was so excited to hear about your special news. I was wondering if you could maybe do a post on what you’ve been eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner since being pregnant. How do you meet your protein needs etc? This would be a great post for us vegans who are planning on a baby or for those who are already pregnant. You are such an inspiration to so many of us, thank you for being so awesome!!!

Lynda April 29, 2014

Congrats!! You have had so many things going on the first trimester, you are a strong woman! We are hoping to be pregnant soon, can’t wait to read all your prego posts

Beth April 29, 2014

Thanks for sharing your journey! I am currently pregnant with my fourth, but this is my first vegan pregnancy. I wish I could say I shared your salad cravings…it’s all I can do to keep the greens going. I do worry a little bit about getting enough protein, especially since beans and seeds aren’t sitting well, but like you, my iron levels are the best they’ve been in years. :) Hang in there, Mama!

Heather April 29, 2014

I am also 23 weeks into my fourth pregnancy, and working at my first attempt of a vegan pregnancy. I’m very excited to be able to follow your journey through this new blog section as well! I’ve really enjoyed many of your recipes and tips and am looking forward to purchasing your new book (Congrats)!! I’m looking into many environmentally friendly switches this time around, from cloth diapers to making my own milk and baby food. It would be great to see what you eat daily and also supplements, etc. I use RAW brand of prenatal, calcium, and B-complex, with Omega-3′s and a vegan B-12. Peace & Blessings!!

Jess April 30, 2014

Just like you, I wanted to eat ALL THE PINEAPPLE when I was pregnant! My sweet tooth did shift from fruit to chocolate at some point though… and then I was making double chocolate walnut cookies all the time.

Melissa April 30, 2014

I am 12 weeks right now, and your experience sounds very familiar! I am a bit nauseous, worse at night, and so tired I feel like I am not going to make it. Some days I get a full night of sleep, then take two four-hour naps. It is humbling, to say the least.

As for food…pineapple, pineapple, pineapple. Any fruit, really, but pineapple is my favorite, closely followed by citrus and Honeycrisp apples. I wish I could eat something green, but I am completely revolted by vegetables. I can’t even say the name of certain unmentionable veggies without gagging. I just hope that all my years of loving vegetables has created some sort of nutrient reserve for my baby and that my fruit obsession is making up the difference.

I kept up running until about two weeks ago, and I plan to get back to it once my energy returns, but for now I am just listening to my body. My body is saying “no runninng…more sleep”, so I am going to take the hint.

Thanks for sharing, Angela (and everyone else)!

meredith May 1, 2014

when will your segment air on steven and chris?

char eats greens May 1, 2014

Loved reading these :) My bladder was too full too when I went for my first ultrasound. I had to go and pee some out hahah!! I can’t wait fro you to find out what you’re haviiiiinnnnnggg!!!

Robin May 2, 2014

Congratulations! I had hyperemesis with my first, and I really had no cravings at all because I couldn’t keep anything down. Not even liquids. Even smells like toast or jasmine rice cooking made me throw up. When I was expecting my twins, I still had pretty significant morning sickness, but it wasn’t *as* bad. I loved salt and vinegar chips, rice krispie treats, mashed potatoes, and cucumber salad. Some days, I’d look at them and run to throw up, but then I usually had a window of about an hour where I would feel okay for a bit and could eat without getting sick. Enjoying healthy foods and being able to eat somewhat normally again (meaning more than 1/4 cup of food at a time) was amazing. Also, I learned during my first pregnancy, that they really don’t need your bladder nearly as full as they say they do, so I would only drink a glass or two before going in. I was never once told that my bladder wasn’t full enough. :)

Karly May 2, 2014

LOVED reading this Ange! You and Eric are going to be such amazing parents! Xoxo

sonia the mexigarian May 2, 2014

Glad you have a baby page set up. I can’t wait to read more!! <3

Heidi Kokborg May 5, 2014

Hi Ange,

I just read your baby section now. I know, I am a bit late to the party. But I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed reading this post. It’s a great idea to keep a journal, and it’s fun to read :) I hope you’ll keep posting some of the things you write in your journal :)
And congrats on having a girl to both of you.

Laura May 7, 2014

Congratulations Angela!! I have been silently lurking on your blog for 5 years now (!!) and I have to admit I have been looking for a baby post for at least the last two. :) I cannot wait to follow you on your healthy, vegan (!) pregnancy journey. This is long overdue, but you are one of the number one influencers that inspired me to change my life. When I started reading your blog in 2009 I was finishing college and already enrolled in a PhD program, struggling with the binge/restrict cycle you spoke so honestly and strongly about. I read and re-read your posts to the point where I felt like I could recite them and was incredibly inspired to be brave and follow my heart like you had. Well, 5 years later, I not only withdrew from grad school while I “still could” but I got my Holistic Health Coach certification at Institute for Integrative Nutrition and have been binge/restrict free (seemingly effortlessly) for a year and a half. You planted the seed that I can change my path and inspired me to follow my dreams. Thank you. :) I could keep telling you how awesome and inspiring you are, but I don’t want to ramble (too late? ;) ), but I am telling you this now because if you could inspire me, a stranger 3000 miles away via the internet, I know you will be an incredible mom. Congratulations to you and Eric again. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2014

Hi Laura, Thank you so much for your lovely note! I’m so happy to hear this :)

Julie May 8, 2014

Loved reading this!!! I’m happy for you, if not a touch jealous. If I can ramble for a moment, I can’t WAIT to start sharing our news. I am almost 11 weeks, and we’re going to start sharing when I’m almost 13 — so two more weeks!! It’s starting to get hard to hide my pre-bump, though! My nausea has gotten worse this week, which is kind of disappointing since I thought it’d be decreasing soon.

And thanks for sharing your experiences — I’ll keep my bladder empty for my next scan next week.

Amelia T May 13, 2014

I just saw this post now! What an awesome way to share your journey with everyone. Hope there will be a 2nd trimester update!

Mary July 17, 2014

Oh my gosh! I *just* discovered these posts – for some reason they weren’t sent to my Feedly. I’m just over 11 weeks pregnant and can completely relate to everything you said…although I haven’t been able to anywhere NEAR greens and most vegetables!

Stef October 26, 2014

Hi,
Im in my first trimester at the moment and really cannot fathom my previous diet if salads and raw veggies. I am frequently morning sick and vomiting upward of 5x a day. The doctors are telling me to eat junk food and meat, but i never really ate these two items before and have recently started but it really messed up my whole system. Do you have any suggestions for getting in nutrients while suffering from morning sickness in the first trimester? I really want to keep a healthy diet but don’t crave any of my old foods and hate salads at the moment. Helpp is wanted & needed :(

Carli November 8, 2014

I loved your post! Thank you for sharing about your pregnancy. I’m in my first trimester and a lot you went through, I’m dealing with. It’s somewhat frustrating and all since I’m the kind of person too always on my feet and active. Since morning sickness arrived…I just want to lay and bed and sleep!!!! Staying positive and hoping this will past is sometimes hard with my hormones and being fatigue. It’s great to know other women are deling with what I’m going through:) All of my gfs that had kids didn’t get morning sickness at all. I wish you all the best and take care. Rest… Rest… Rest… Xoxo