Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

greensmoothie   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

I can’t say that I felt much like a warrior during my first trimester. I did look and feel a little green though! I was cruising along feeling fine until week 6 came along and then I discovered that pregnancy hormones are no joke. All day nausea and extreme fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks. The fatigue was like nothing I’d felt before; it’s almost like feeling tired deep in my bones. I considered it a successful day if I could peel myself off the couch and do something productive. As someone who likes to be in motion at all times, this was a big adjustment. I said to Eric, “I’ll never complain about PMS again!!” hah. It was difficult trying to crank out blog posts because I wasn’t the least bit excited about food. Even drinking water was a struggle for my nauseous tummy. I despised water with a passion. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it. Bedtime was 8:30pm most nights (that’s if I could make it that long without falling asleep on the couch) – Sketchie has been loving all this extra cuddle time though! Some mornings I would wake up after 11 hours of sleep which I still can’t wrap my mind around. The human body just amazes me how it conserves energy when it needs to. It’s been a great lesson in trusting that my body knows best.

Anytime I need a boost, I just think of the end result and I’m filled with a burst of excitement. I feel like I’m walking around with this little friend inside of me, who goes wherever I go and lets me know when to slow down and rest. Now that I’m in the second trimester I’m starting to get back a bit of energy although the nausea is still pretty strong some days. Last week, I stayed up until 10pm a few nights – a darn miracle if you ask me! Bring on the honeymoon trimester!

Spending a lot of energy cooking hasn’t been my forte many days. That’s why smoothies continue to be such an important daily aspect of my diet. In 10 minutes, I can have a smoothie in hand that would just about rival the most nutritious meal around. I’ve been drinking this smoothie as a way to pack in a ton of nutrition with minimal effort. This smoothie was actually a contender for my cookbook, but I didn’t finalize the recipe in time. However, the photo of this smoothie did make it into the book (see page 54). A couple of you noticed the picture and asked me for the recipe, so I’m sharing it today!

Drinking this makes me feel like a bit like a warrior (even if this warrior is asleep on the couch before her favourite show comes on TV). I even started doing a 30 minute prenatal workout which is another big victory of late. It’s the small things. It really is.

greenmonstersmoothie   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

benefits   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

Kale – Rich in folate, vitamin C and K, calcium, iron, and beta-carotene. It’s also a hormone balancer, digestion booster, anti-inflammatory, and contains omega-3 fatty acids.

Grapefruit - Rich in vitamin C and is a great detoxifier for the liver.

Cucumber - Prevents water retention, promotes a healthy digestive track, packed with bioavailable minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes.

Celery – Rich in fibre and B vitamins, prevents water retention

Apple – Source of fibre and vitamin C, helps balance blood sugar levels, boosts digestion, reduces inflammation

Algae oil (DHA rich) – A sustainable, plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids. My go-to brand is NutraVege. Making up 97% of the fatty acids found in the brain, DHA is a very important long-chain fatty acid in the omega-3 family. It’s super important for pregnant women and children under the age of 2 as it supports brain, vision, and nerve development. Note: I don’t add this oil directly into the smoothie. I simply take it seperately so it doesn’t impact the flavour.

Virgin Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. It’s rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which help boost the metabolism and lower the risk of heart disease.

Hulled hemp seeds – A great source of complete protein, contains the ideal balance of omega 3-6-9 fatty acids, and is high in fibre. Hemp seeds also reduce inflammation in the body and balance hormones.

Mango – Rich in vitamin C, fibre, and beta-carotene. It also contains enzymes that help with the breakdown of protein in the body (great for the above protein-rich hemp seeds!).

Sources: Healing Foods: Eat your way to a healthier life, Flora Health

greenproteinsmoothie   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

print icon   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

Talk about a super charged meal in a glass! I used hemp hearts as the major protein source for this drink. In addition to being a complete protein source, hemp hearts also contain the ideal balance of omega 3-6-9 fatty acids and are high in fibre. They work wonderfully to make this smoothie super creamy, all without needing any banana. This smoothie also highlights one of my biggest cravings of late - the juicy red grapefruit - which is balanced with a sweet apple and buttery mango.

Yield
3 cups (1 large or 2 med. servings)
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup fresh red grapefruit juice
  • 1 cup destemmed dinosaur/lacinato kale
  • 1 large sweet apple, cored and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • heaping 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 med. stalk)
  • 3-4 tablespoons hemp hearts (I use 4 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup frozen mango
  • 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
  • 3-4 ice cubes, as needed
  • 1/2-1 tablespoon algae oil (do not add to smoothie - take separately), optional

Directions:

1. Juice half of a large red grapefruit and add 1/2 cup grapefruit juice to the blender.
  2. Now add the kale, apple, cucumber, celery, hulled hemp seeds, mango, mint, coconut oil, and ice. Blend on high until super smooth. (If using a Vitamix, use the tamper stick to push it down until it blends). You can add a bit of water if necessary to get it blending.
  3. Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately! This makes enough for a large glass with some leftover so you can also divide it into two servings.
  4. If using, take the algae DHA oil separately. I don't add it to the smoothie because it impacts the overall flavour.

Notes:

For the entire 3 cup portion (using 4 tbsp hulled hemp seeds), this smoothie comes in at approx. 495 calories (421 calories without the coconut oil), 17 grams protein, and 12 grams fibre. It's also a rich source of Iron, Vitamin C + A, and Calcium. Feel free to split this into 2 servings to make it snack-sized.

I used dinosaur/lacinato kale because it has a milder flavour than regular curly kale.

Feel free to sub the grapefruit juice with orange juice or coconut water.

warriorgreenmonster 7012   Green Warrior Protein Smoothie

The Oh She Glows Cookbook hits Costco US!

Today is a very special day – The OSG Cookbook hits shelves across Costco in the US! We are thrilled to have another major retailer pick up this cookbook. Don’t forget, it’s already in many Costco locations in Canada too. We’d love it if you could snap pictures of the book in Costco stores and share them on twitter using the hashtag #osgcookbook!

We’re packing up to move this week (ahh!) and my kitchen is all in boxes. *sniff, sniff. If you don’t hear from me again this week that’s why. Wish us luck!

Jessica Rose March 31, 2014

I need to invest in a blender….I feel I’m missing out! ;(

vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } March 31, 2014

This smoothie is boss! I have everything on hand but kale but I think I’ll sub in spinach and try it out this afternoon.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Chicago Jogger March 31, 2014

This looks so healthy and delicious. I make smoothies all the time but a recipe like this makes me want to get a legit juicer!

Nathan April 14, 2014

May wanna hold off on that. My understanding is that actual juicers move their blades at high enough speeds that they destroy the fiber content. I don’t know if anyone’s looked into high powered blenders similarly.

Amy July 9, 2014

I was on the fence about getting one as well and then read about how it strips out all the fiber from the fruits/veggies :( boo

June March 31, 2014

Love my recipe book! Good luck moving and congratulations on the little one on the way!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 31, 2014

This looks delish and hey, it’s okay to be a couch warrior when you’re whippin’ up a human. ;-)

Good luck with the move! Hope everything goes smoothly!

Sarah March 31, 2014

I just love the versatility of smoothies. I get so bored with the same thing, so it’s nice to have an arsenal of different green smoothies to keep things fresh–pun intended :) I’m really looking forward to hearing more about your vegan pregnancy journey and how you’ll approach things. My husband and I are trying to conceive and there aren’t a ton of resources out there for vegan pregnancies. What I’ve found has had a lot of conflicting information (ie: take supplements or just be super vigilant with diet?), so it’ll be nice to see your approach. Best of luck with it all, and I hope you continue to feel better along the way!

Christie Anne March 31, 2014

I agree with Anele, being a couch warrior is totally fine when your body is busy supporting another one! :)

This sounds delicious, I can’t wait to try it. I’m in graduate school right now, working, and married so sometimes I am lucky if I can eat. Stress makes you not want to eat as much, so I have been relying on smoothies quite a bit. I’ll have to add this one to my go-to list to get all of my nutrients.

Best of luck with your pregnancy! So exciting.

Ting March 31, 2014

Wow, that sounds like a delicious and wonderful smoothie! What does algae oil taste like??

And congrats on Costco! That is amazing!! :o)

Monica Mansfield March 31, 2014

Listening to your body is so important. It must have been exhausted from all the work of developing your little one. :)

What kind of prenatal work out are you doing?

lauren March 31, 2014

Totally hear you on the grapefruit cravings and I’m not preggers! I love hemp hearts they are so nutty and tasty.
Best of luck moving! I hope it is not too stressful!

Ashley March 31, 2014

Whoa! I definitely need to try this out. I also need to look into algae oil! Huge hemp lover over here. Glad you’re feeling a bit more like yourself!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRuns March 31, 2014

YUM! This looks really delicious.

Alex March 31, 2014

This looks so delicious! I made a really good antioxidant smoothie (veganosity.com/food/burst-of-antioxidants-smoothie/) but I’ve always wanted to make an all green one. Can’t wait to try it!

Deanna March 31, 2014

When I was pregnant and too exhausted to do anything, I’d tell my husband… “Shhhh… I’m creating fingers, toes, lungs, etc….” Or, once the development stage stopped and the baby was just growing, I’d say, “I’m creating life! Please get me some water”. It works… use it while you can! :)

Emily @ It Comes Naturally Blog March 31, 2014

Good luck with the move!

Great to hear that this has given you the opportunity to learn to trust your body. After years of disordered eating, I’ve decided today that I don’t trust my body, and my body doesn’t trust me :-(

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 31, 2014

Ooh I could use one of these right about now Ange! I had a green smoothie for breakfast but seem to have a really sore throat today and could use a nice green boost! Good luck with the move – I know it feels like it’ll be a ton of work but just think about how amazing your new space will be!! Have a great week (and I hope the preggo nausea isn’t too bad!) :)

Hailey March 31, 2014

This smoothie looks amazingly delicious and easy to put together!! I can totally relate to everything you said about the first trimester. It’s like the worst case of the flu and mono at the same time. I had the hardest time staying awake at work for 10 hours a day. I’m in week 17 this week and the energy level and nausea are both better, although some days my body knows best and I nap and nap and go to bed early!

What kind of exercises have you been doing? Have you still been jogging at all? My doctor told me to keep running, but not to let my heart rate get above 140 (which is impossible for me), so I’ve been speed walking and doing yoga and a light strength training prenatal video.

janae @ bring joy March 31, 2014

“It was difficult trying to crank out blog posts because I wasn’t the least bit excited about food.”
This is why last summer, when I was in my first trimester I took a full 3 months off of blogging. Between being so tired & abhorring food (especially anything green or healthy!), I knew I couldn’t bring myself to blog. Also, I wanted to keep my pregnancy under wraps (like you did), but didn’t know how I could genuinely hide it when I was feeling so lousy.

Again, kudos to you for keeping up with everything despite all the sickness. I always feel much more energetic around week 14 (but still nauseated until about week 20-22).

Love the green smoothie! My Blendtec jar broke & while I’m waiting for them to send me a new jar I got a sore throat, which naturally calls for upping the smoothie intake. BUT, since I don’t have a working blender, I had to buy some naked juice. I bought a bottle that has similar ingredients to this one, but it cost $4! Ouch, ouch. I certainly couldn’t afford to support my green smoothie habit if I had to shell out that kind of cash each time. I’m going to try this one as soon as I get my blender jar.

Kaylee March 31, 2014

Congrats on all the great news and starting to feel better! Just bought my algae oil…was so curious about all the options and couldn’t decide until you recommended it, so thank you!!

Shundara@SavyNaturalista March 31, 2014

This smoothie is definitely going to come in handy with the big move! I love the creamy texture..

Sarah March 31, 2014

I wonder if we’ll see crazy pregnancy recipes like kale, French fries and peanut butter! My friend is in her 2nd trimester and cannot get enough spicy food. Like reeeeeeaaaaallly spicy food! I’m so happy for you both! <3

char eats greens March 31, 2014

Happy and good luck moving!! This smoothie sounds great, Ange! I actually have Vega flax/hemp/something else oil and you’re right to not add it into smoothies because that one is so nasty and it makes my smoothies undrinkable (but getting it over with in a shot is so clever!). I can’t wait to try this smoothie out on Nia :)

Willow @Will Cook For Friends March 31, 2014

Smoothies to the rescue! I know whenever I’m feeling sick or tired or, well, just about anything that’s put me off food… smoothies are a go-to lifesaver. Amazing how much nutrient-dense stuff you can find hanging out in your fridge that goes perfectly together in the blender! I bet baby loves getting all that goodness, too. Glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan March 31, 2014

Ack! I hope you get back to feeling more normal and able to eat again, what a pain!

J March 31, 2014

I feel like I need that right now! I’m just over 5 weeks right now and am really starting to worn down and lightheaded. I’m a touch scared to see that it apparently gets worse??

sarah@thesweetlife March 31, 2014

I’m off the internet for a week and come back to find out you’re pregnant!!! One million congrats, Angela. I am so happy for you and thrilled for this new adventure you are embarking on. Can’t wait for our little vegans to be best friends :)

Dolly June 29, 2014

I’ve read that by blending fruits and veggies, you lose the nutrients. What are your thoughts?

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 31, 2014

Oh my goodness, this smoothie sounds so yummy!! Such a nice tall glass of health.

Shelby March 31, 2014

This looks so wonderful and nutritious! And I cannot WAIT to get my copy at Costco. Yay!

Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog March 31, 2014

I love smoothie for the exact reason that they pack a lot of nutrition into one drink. I love how much protein is in this smoothie; I’m sure it gives it some real staying power.

Melanie March 31, 2014

I had a green smoothie almost every morning when pregnant. This one looks great! Best of luck with the move!

Krystle March 31, 2014

I got your book as my little birthday gift to myself! It is amazing! I’m making a few of your recipes for my birthday dinner/dessert tonight! And this smoothie will be made this week for sure!!! Your recipes are amazing, even my protein obsessed husband eats it up!

Julie March 31, 2014

Hi, Angela! Could you suggest a substitute for the grapefruit for those of us currently on SSRI medications and/or other medications that interact with grapefruit? I’d really appreciate it! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2014

Hi Julie – in the recipe note I’ve included a couple subs that have worked well for me – orange juice and coconut water. I’m sure any fruit juice would work lovely though! Hope this helps. :)

fabiola@notjustbaked March 31, 2014

I just love the name of this smoothie! And it is hysterical that your husband said he wouldn’t complain about the PMS. I hope it’s true.

Sam March 31, 2014

Hi Angela!

This is a bit unrelated to the post, but I bought your book last week and am LOVING the recipes! Last night I made the African peanut soup with some slight modifications – I would love to do a post on my blog about the book and the recipe but am wondering your policy on putting the full recipe on my blog (apologies if this is listed somewhere…) if you could let me know what you’d prefer that’d be great! It was so delicious!

Jennifer Kearns March 31, 2014

Hang in there. It does get easier. Pretty soon you will be “glowing” even more! Just got your cookbook last Saturday and wanted to pass along that I have tried the lentil walnut loaf, cauliflower smashed potatoes and the yolos out of the cookbook all to great fan fare! The pumpkin gingerbread with spiced butter cream frosting from the website, too! Your photographs are lovely, too! Thank you for letting me know how to make oat flour!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty March 31, 2014

I’ve been adding more and more to my smoothies, and I looooove the looks of this one! It looks just perfect.

Reading how you’ve felt so far in your pregnancy certainly brought back memories. I vividly remember finally having a tiny iota of energy, just enough to drag myself to the kitchen and chop just enough veggies for a bare-bones Crock Pot chili. And then it was back to the couch for the rest of the day (and heck if I was actually able to *eat* the stuff when it was done). It felt like such a victory at the time! Some days I felt like I couldn’t even hold my head up. And the nausea! Ugh, I feel you. It felt like an eternity while I was knee-deep, but looking back (2 years and a very busy toddler later), it feels like a blip. A miserable blip, but a blip nonetheless. :) Wishing you the best – and thanks for lots more ideas for bulking up my smoothies!

Lisa March 31, 2014

Delicious, Angela! Keep these yummy smoothie recipes coming. I drink fresh vegetable and fruit juice in the winter, but smoothies once it’s a bit warmer out. [Still can't seem to handle an ice cold smoothie when it's freezing outside!] I look forward to trying these chilled drinks soon :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life March 31, 2014

Good luck with the move! I hope that you’re able to start feeling more energized soon too. Also, congrats on the NY Best Sellers news and Costco! You deserve it!

Jessica March 31, 2014

I remember those can’t get off the couch days well! My 3rd baby is now 6 months old and two months ago we found out he has milk and soy protein intolerance. I was already vegetarian but ate a lot of dairy and soy so suddenly having to cut all that out kind of threw me for a loop. I am thrilled to have found your blog, I love your recipes and my little guy’s tummy is happy! I will definitely be trying this smoothie!

Ana March 31, 2014

Great smoothie recipe – and 17 grams of protein in one sitting is no joke amazing!

I was wondering though, Angela – are you taking any prenatal vitamins or other supplements now that you are creating a tiny human? Or are you relying on nutrition solely from food?

Sarah April 1, 2014

I’m wondering this as well! As much as I’d love to rely on food (I’m not pregnant, but trying) I’m a bit of a hypochondriac and feel too paranoid to leave it to chance. I’ve been taking vegan prenatals/DHA just in case, though I’ve also been more diligent with my diet since I know vitamins are not the ideal source–just a backup :) What’s your input, Ange?

Page 1 of 41234»