A Feel Good Lunch Bowl

veganlunch 5038   A Feel Good Lunch Bowl

Even though it’s the dead of winter and all I want to do is crawl under the blankets with some hot cocoa and a chocolate bar, I’ve been making an extra effort to increase my veggie intake. The more veggies I eat, the more chocolate I can have, after all. It’s simple math. Some days it’s easy to forget how great I feel when I’m fueling my body with a rainbow of plants; they keep me sane during the cold, dreary days of winter. Food has this amazing power to influence my mood (much like exercise) and I often tell myself that feeling better is only a meal (or workout) away. It really is true! So keep this in mind if you are feeling the effects of a long winter like I am. Healthy eating begins with the very next meal…

I go through vegetable phases all the time. Right, now I’m hooked on cauliflower (enough to turn it into creamy alfredo which you seem to be enjoying a lot!), cabbage (via sauerkraut…lol), and sweet potatoes. Always sweet potatoes. This tasty lunch is something I threw together recently and I loved the combo so much I decided to share with you. The main event is an energizing black bean and sweet potato quinoa salad. The only thing I missed was a sliced avocado (I opened it up and it was all bruised…sigh), so if you have some around definitely throw it in.

In addition to the salad, I added roasted sweet potato rounds (because you can never have too much sweet potato on a cold winter day), roasted cauliflower, hemp hearts. and a big ‘ol scoop of hummus for good measure. Since I already had the salad made in advance, all I had to do was throw the veggies into the oven to roast while I tended to other things. It came together quite fast! Three cheers for leftovers.

veganlunch 5045   A Feel Good Lunch Bowl

This isn’t so much an exact recipe I’m sharing today, but more of a show and tell to hopefully inspire you to create your own. I lightly adapted one of my favourite quinoa salads from last year (see link below), and then added in other things to create a filling and feel-good lunch bowl! Oh by the way, as my sister discovered last weekend, this quinoa salad is also fantastic in a wrap with hummus and other veggies. A very good idea, I’d say!

For the bowl:

- Black Bean & Quinoa Salad (I made it with roasted sweet potato instead of carrots – loved this variation so much!)

- 1-2 cups chopped roasted cauliflower

- 1 sweet potato, sliced into rounds and roasted

- hummus, as needed to get your daily quota (the salad is so good mixed with some hummus, FYI)

- hemp hearts, for garnish (adds more protein and healthy fats…and let’s not forget edible confetti)

~~~

So there you have it. A mood-booster-in-a-bowl.

Is it spring yet?

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers January 22, 2014

Mmmm, looks great! I’m always looking for lunch ideas.

Kate January 22, 2014

that looks phenomenal, I love all of the colors!

Samantha January 22, 2014

This looks amazing! I wish I could have it right now. I think these ingredients are gunna have to be on the list for my next store run!

Hailey January 22, 2014

I LOVE throwing everything in one bowl and so true you can never have enough sweet taters :) I made this “One Bowl Wonder” with cauliflower last year and loved it

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 22, 2014

I could do with this right now (and speaking of blankets, I’m sitting under one at work because it’s sooo cold and even 2 cups of tea hasn’t managed to warm me up yet!) Gorgeous photos Ange!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2014

Oh I feel ya Ange! I’m sitting about 4 inches away from the jumbo space heater. My leg might burn off, but oddly enough the rest of my body is still cold? lol. Stay warm!!

Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog January 22, 2014

Yum – just the sort of inspiration I’m looking for!

Brittany January 22, 2014

I LOVE adding roasted veggies to salads and using hummus as a dressing. Beautiful photos — per the usual. :)

Georgina January 22, 2014

Angela,
This is so inspiring! Just when the blahs of the winter vortex are getting to us, Angela to the rescue!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 22, 2014

I love your math ;)

Shundara@SavyNaturalista January 22, 2014

Eating roasted veggies and waiting for it to get warmer sounds like a treat to me! I love your math! More veggies does equal more chocolate any day… :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 22, 2014

Mmm, that looks so good!! Oh yeah and “The more veggies I eat, the more chocolate I can have, after all. It’s simple math.” I like your math skills! ;-)

Cassie January 22, 2014

I also boost my mood with exercise and yummy, healthy food! I’m in love with your banana chocolate chip muffin tops right now… So good!

Caitlyn@BareBalance January 22, 2014

This looks amazing! Nothing beats a hodgepodge of foods in a bowl + a spoon.
Angela, girl, I used to follow your blog faithfully, but then fell out of the blog world (I sent you several emails asking for help to overcome my ED)
Now I am back and I am so proud of your growth <3 I hope one day to have 1/5 the success you have had.

cm.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2014

Welcome back Caitlyn! I am so happy to hear from you again. xo

Tessa | Balancing Active January 22, 2014

I’m a recent convert to sweet potatoes. I think I finally got over the years of forced Thanksgiving consumption. Just added some roasted little cubes to a creamy risotto the other night and it was delicious–balanced out the saltiness of the risotto nicely! Your rounds of them are so pretty here!

Kate January 22, 2014

Thanks for this idea! I love cold roasted sweet potatoes, and as I, too, have been trying to drastically increase my veggie intake, this is a great inspiration. As always, thank you for sharing!

Leanne January 22, 2014

I was just contemplating what to have for lunch today. Problem solved! As for the weather…sigh. Currently with are having a blizzard, enough of a blizzard to cancel school, which they NEVER do here. But never mind that, it is -41 F wind chill. Sigh. Stay warm, indeed! Sigh.

Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life January 22, 2014

This looks so good! I have been obsessed lately with adding roasted sweet potatoes to salads. It just adds so much flavor and good bulk to the mix! :)

Carissa January 22, 2014

Mmmm there is just something about sweet potatoes hey? I used all mine up in African sweet potato soup (with peanut butter!) but this is going on the list for the next bag! Looking forward to your cookbook, I have it on preorder!

Alexina January 22, 2014

Isn’t it funny- before becoming vegetarian/health conscious, I thought the only thing to eat for lunch was a sandwich with cold cuts and a processed granola bar and cheezits. It amazing how many tasty things you can make with a bunch of plants :)

Melissa @ nourishbymelissa.com January 22, 2014

That looks so good! I like the sweet potato variation of the quinoa and bean bowl. I hear you about the weather, Canada is sooo cold right now!

Susann January 22, 2014

Please, can we avoid perpetuating the image of Canada being populated by polar bears & Inuit? I live on the west coast & have been weeding my flower beds in a sweat shirt all day. My heartfelt sympathies for those of you freezing to death (been there, done that, over it), but not *all* of Canada is in a deep freeze. Weather aside, this recipe is going to be tomorrow’s lunch. Fabulous!

Natalie January 22, 2014

This looks amazing! Do you always make your own hummus or do you ever use store bought? If so, what brand do you buy? I have always loved hummus at middle eastern restaurants but as a new vegan I feel like I should incorporate it more into my daily meals but I hate being stuck with hummus breath! Any tips for that too? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2014

I love making my own, but I go through it waaaay too quickly to keep up! hah. The brand I buy the most is Sunflower Kitchen (it’s made locally).

Caitlin January 22, 2014

i love this idea. there is nothing more comforting than a bowl of warm veggies. simple fact.

Lillian @ Seize the Latte January 22, 2014

I often (ok, probably too often…there’s a good chance I might drive everyone but my husband insane with this habit) quote lines from Austin Powers movies, and my immediate response to seeing this bowl of delicious veggies was a hearty “Get in mah belly!” a la Fat Bastard. It looks and sounds amazing, and all those warm veggies are just what the doctor ordered amidst the latest polar vortex nonsense.

Terri January 22, 2014

This one is on the “to make list” for sure. I too am on a cauliflower kick right now, what is that about, I used to hate it. On a side note, I made your enchiladas last night (for the whole fam, hubby and two kids, 8 and 11) we all devoured them. Even hubby agreed (sometimes he’s a hard sell), that avocado cream totaly made it. It tasted so sinful, yet it was not. Thanks again Angela you food genius you. Stay warm!

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 22, 2014

That black bean, quinoa & sweet potato salad looks great. Hard to go wrong with any of this! Big bowls of veggies are the way to go :)

Bethany January 22, 2014

Pinned it! That looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it.
-Bethany
positivethinkingpositiveliving.blogspot.com

Maryea {happy healthy mama} January 22, 2014

Love this. I’m so ready for spring, too!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 22, 2014

I loveee the more veggies=more chocolate theory : ) I was wondering, what are the hemp hearts like? I haven’t seen them but want to try them out!

Kristin January 22, 2014

Your Feel Good Lunch Bowl looks great! I’m always looking for new recipes with hemp hearts and I love all of the ingredients you chose.
Thank you for all that you do!
Pinned!
K-

Lala January 22, 2014

I adored your big vegan bowl recipe so much I can’t wait to try this! :DD

Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog January 22, 2014

I wanted to dive right into your bowl after seeing the first picture of it. I love loading up on a big bowl of veggies – sweet potatoes are my favorite winter addition! I like to hit up a salad bar (like Whole Foods) and try new veggies as well as the many salads they make. It’s my usual treat after I take a yoga class. Talk about feeling great!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 22, 2014

So many of my favorite foods in one bowl!!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health January 22, 2014

love this kind of bowl..you can never have too much sweet potatoes or hummus in a bowl.

carla January 22, 2014

Hi,

I was wondering if you make the hummus or you buy it? If you buy it what brands do you like? You are amazing

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2014

Hi Carla, I’ve been loving a local brand called Sunflower Kitchen lately. I make it when I have time, but I go through the stuff way too fast to keep up it seems!

Alexandra Aimee January 22, 2014

This looks so good! It looks like it delivers the perfect mix of creamy and crunch. If only I could download it and eat it….LOL!

– Alex at brainyGirlsBeauty.com

The Vegan Cookie Fairy January 22, 2014

Oh wow! I completely agree with you, exercise and good food does wonders for my mood. Then again, if I need to eat a big slab of chocolate, I will do that as well. It’s important to trust your instincts. I’m very much looking forward to trying this recipe! xoxo

Nicole Marie Story January 22, 2014

OMG this just made me call in my dinner order to the Thai restaurant. Delicious.

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables January 22, 2014

I’m been putting together some awesome lunch bowls lately–it is just so addictive coming up with different combinations! Yours looks great!

Tami@NutmegNotebook January 22, 2014

This looks so wonderful and filling. I love all the ingredients!

Rachel January 22, 2014

This looks very filling and tasty! I might have to make this tonight as I have all the ingredients on hand. Perfect for next day lunch leftovers. Since you’re on this cauliflower kick, any chance you have experimented with cauliflower crust pizza? I’m dying to know your thoughts on that!? I’m going to attempt a 2nd go this weekend as the 1st try didn’t pan out the way I hoped for. I live in Seattle, WA. It’s dreary we’re counting days til spring as well.

Page 1 of 3123»