Peanut Better Balls

veganpeanutbutterballs-4311-2

I have fond memories of making peanut butter balls with my mom and sister every holiday season. The women in my family are all big peanut butter and chocolate fans, so it seems like a natural holiday dessert to splurge on. In fact, I know when they see this post they’ll be running to the kitchen to make this version! You can’t beat how easy peanut butter balls are to throw together during those hectic last-minute preparations.

This year, I came up with a lighter version of my childhood favourite. Rather than using 2 cups of powdered sugar and plenty of butter like the old recipe, I turned to a few lighter ingredients to do the same job.

veganpeanutbutterballs-4275

pbballs-4284

This version contains much less sweetener than classic recipes, but I promise you won’t even notice the difference, especially once the chocolate coating is in place!

The secret to achieving a similar dough (without all the powdered sugar) is a little trick I picked up from making homemade nut butter in my food processor. I noticed when I added too much maple syrup into the machine, it would cause the nut butter to seize up (i.e., get really thick). After that point, no matter how much I processed the nut butter, it never returned back to it’s creamy, drippy state. A similar thing happens when you add water to melted chocolate.

For this recipe, I used this knowledge to my advantage by stirring the peanut butter and maple syrup vigorously, until the mixture “seized” and thickened up. Well, it worked like a charm! All I had to do after that was add a couple tablespoons of coconut flour for additional thickening powers. Coconut flour is quite dense and drying, so just a little bit did the trick. No powdered sugar necessary. Yes!

Tip: If you are new to coconut flour and don’t want to buy a whole bag, try buying a small amount from a bulk food bin. I’m pretty sure Bulk Barn carries coconut flour.

veganpeanutbetterballs

At first, when you stir in the maple syrup, it will look quite runny and you’ll think there’s no way it’s going to thicken up, but it does. Just keep on stirring! It took me probably 30 seconds of stirring and letting it sit a couple minutes helps it firm up too (the coconut flour absorbs a lot of moisture). The timing will depend on how thick (or thin) your brand of peanut butter is (I only recommend using 100% all-natural peanut butter with nothing else added). It’s quite possible you might need a touch more (or less) coconut flour than what I used. I’m not sure if other sweeteners will work the same way that maple syrup does, so I can’t vouch for the results if you swap out the maple syrup.

vegantutlecookiessquare2-4282

Once it thickened up, I stirred in some sea salt to enhance the flavours and rice crisp cereal for a crunchy texture. Oh my….simply irresistible!!

pbballsvegan-4300

Watch them disappear almost as quickly as they were made.

veganpeanutbutterballs-4256

Peanut Better Balls

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

By

4.8 from 33 reviews

These peanut butter balls forgo the powdered sugar and butter, and instead use a few lighter ingredients using only a fraction of the sweetener compared to traditional recipes. You'll wonder how you ever lived without this recipe around the holidays! It's quick to throw together and makes about 16-20 balls that will fill a platter for a holiday party. For mess-free finger food, place the balls in mini cupcake liners.

Yield
16-20 balls
Freeze time
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup 100% natural peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
  • 3.5-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste (see note)
  • 1-3 tablespoons coconut flour, only if needed
  • fine grain sea salt, to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
  • 6 tablespoons gluten-free rice crisp cereal
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil

Directions:

1. Stir the jar of peanut butter well before using. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter and maple syrup vigorously, for 30-60 seconds, until it thickens up. It will go from runny to thick during this time.
  2. Stir in the coconut flour until combined (if your PB is dry, you might be able to skip this step or only use half). We're looking for a texture that isn't too sticky, but not too dry either. Let it sit for a couple minutes to firm up as the coconut flour will continue to absorb moisture with time. Add a touch more coconut flour if necessary. Or if it's too dry, add a touch more syrup.
  3. Add salt to taste and stir in the cereal.
  4. Shape into small balls (I made about 17).
  5. In a small pot, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat over low heat, stirring frequently. Once half the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
  6. With a fork, dip the balls into the melted chocolate. Tap off excess chocolate on the side of the pot and place the ball on a plate or cutting board lined with parchment. Repeat for the rest. Save any leftover melted chocolate for later.
  7. Place balls in the freezer for around 6-8 minutes until mostly firm.
  8. Dip a fork into the leftover melted chocolate and drizzle it on top of the balls to create a "sophisticated" design like the baking diva you are.
  9. Freeze the balls for another 10-15 minutes, until the chocolate is completely set. If you can wait that long, you win life.

Tips:

1) I'm not sure if other liquid sweeteners will work in this recipe (and firm up the peanut butter the same way as maple syrup does), therefore I can't recommend any. A reader did tell me that agave nectar worked for her though! 2) I recommend only using 100% natural peanut butter for this recipe. You just want to see roasted peanuts on the label (and maybe salt, if it’s salted). The no-stir kinds made with oil and sugar might not work the same way. The PB I used was very drippy. If your PB seems dry, you probably won't need to use all of the coconut flour.

1 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! December 16, 2013

These look lovely! Love the addition of coconut flour! I am sure it adds great texture!

2 Summer January 11, 2014

I made these using a peanut free butter I bought and subbed out the coconut flour for Brown rice flour. Delicious and still gluten free. We love them!

3 Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog December 16, 2013

I am so making these for my husband – he is a peanut butter fiend. I might even try some with my favourite cashew butter – mmmm, the possibilites are endless

4 Laurie December 16, 2013

This is my first comment on your blog. I love PB & chocolate anything so I’m super excited to make this ASAP! I’ve been following your blog for years & all the recipes I’ve tried have been great! Thanks for making being vegan a little easier to share amazing recipes with family & friends:)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Thanks for your comment Laurie! I hope you enjoy them :)

6 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} December 16, 2013

Oh my, these look heavenly! I know these as “Buckeyes” and they were a childhood favorite. I haven’t made them in years, because of all the butter and sugar! I will definitely be making these, they seem almost too good to be true.

(Love the light bokeh, beautiful!)

7 Taylor December 19, 2013

Just made these! They were so good! One is just enough to satisfy a craving for something decadent. Thank you!

8 Lexi January 9, 2014

Would it change if I didn’t use rice cereal? I have all the ingredients but those. They look so good!

9 alicia April 28, 2014

Did you try it without the rice cereal? I was wondering the same thing

10 Gabby May 28, 2014

Hi! I didn’t add the cereal. They came out really great, but next time I’m going to add it because I think the crunch would make them even better!

11 kea September 24, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I used some coarse chopped almonds and oats instead of the rice cereal! Added texture and turned out great !

12 Siiri December 16, 2014

I didn’t want to buy a whole box of rice crispies just for this so I didn’t use them either. I did however add dried cranberries for contrast. They’re great! I was a bit worried about the measurments because around this corner of the world we use the metric system, but this recipe was so easy I basically didn’t even need to measure!

13 susanj December 16, 2013

I am not a fan of coconut at all. Can another flour and oil be used?

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hi Susan, I’m not sure about substitutes as I’ve only tested them using the ingredients in the recipe. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

15 Alana April 22, 2015

You can try not using any flour OR oil. If you homemake the peanut butter it should be firm anyway ;)

16 Sherry December 17, 2013

Susan j- I don’t care for coconut either,however, I use coconut flour in many recipes and I don’t taste coconut at all. Maybe give it a try in a small batch because these look absolutely scrumptious! Definitely making these for the holidays!

17 Amelia December 17, 2013

Susan, have you ever tried subbing in peanut flour? You can purchase it on amazon and iherb.com

18 susanj December 19, 2013

Sherry
They do look yummy and want to try them. That is a good suggestion the half batch. thanks

Amelia
No I have not but what a great idea.. I will try the peanut flour. I didn’t even know they had peanut flour but that would be great in this recipe. thanks!

19 Amelia J February 12, 2014

I used garbanzo flour and they actually turned out amazing… yum yum!

20 Sarah December 16, 2013

These look amazing! Peanut butter balls are my favorite Christmas candy since childhood and I’ve been wanting to find a way to lighten them up without sacrificing the flavor. This looks like you nailed it. I can’t wait to try them!!

21 Shundara@SavyNaturalista December 16, 2013

I have never used coconut flour before; I think I am going to half to try it. What a wonderful alternative to a classic treat.

22 Averie @ Averie Cooks December 16, 2013

Angela these look & sound incredible! I’m a big fan of cookie dough, balls, truffles, bites, and if it has PB (and coconut flour and those great little crispy rice cereal bits in it), all the better! I need a dozen :) pinned

23 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen December 16, 2013

OH MY – These look amazing! I can’t think of any better combination than chocolate and peanut butter – I think it would be hard not to “sample” all the dough – I am not sure if I would even be even able to make it to the “ball” stage ;) Can’t wait to make these! :D

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

yes, it’s very hard not to just grab the bowl and enjoy with a spoon! hah.

25 Ann December 16, 2013

Can these be made in advance and stored in the
fridge until serving? They sound amazing & I’d like
to make them a few days in advance. :-) Thanks!!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

I can’t see why not!

27 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 16, 2013

My husband is a huge fan of the peanut butter balls at Christmas time. I cannot wait to make these for him! Thanks for a great recipe!

28 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 16, 2013

Oh yeah, babe! These are getting made ASAP!

29 Caitlin December 16, 2013

these look delicious, angela!

30 Cassie December 16, 2013

I do love me some peanut butter and chocolate. I can’t wait to try this one!

31 Lori Stewart December 16, 2013

Do you think they would ship ok?

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hi Lori, I don’t think they would hold up in transit…well, I think the chocolate coating would potentially melt depending on the conditions?

33 Diane December 16, 2013

I will definitely be making these for the holidays! Can you change the peanut butter to almond butter? We have a peanut allergy in the house. By the way I just wanted to to say thank you for all the amazing recipes you continually post. You are hands down the BEST food blog ever!!!!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hey Diane, Thanks for your kind words!
I’m not sure about swapping the peanut butter in this recipe. I’ve only tried it this way so I really don’t know if the almond butter and maple syrup would thicken the same way. Let us know how it goes if you try it! The recipe can be halved so maybe you could try a smaller batch.

35 Katrina @ WVS December 16, 2013

These look phenomenal!! LOVE!

36 Renelle December 16, 2013

These look delicious! I cannot wait to try them!

37 mary December 16, 2013

These look beautiful! I’ve made peanut butter chocolate balls with a similar recipe but NEVER have mine looked as pretty!

38 Alex @ Kenzie Life December 16, 2013

My grandma always used to make these for Christmas but these look like a far healthier option! I can’t wait to try them!

39 Erin @ An Inside Job December 16, 2013

This must be a sign! I have had coconut flour sitting in my pantry and truer a recipe yesterday only to have it be awful. Idk why I try any other recipes besides yours! Now I have a new dessert to take to the inlaws for Christmas!! Thank you!

40 Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health December 16, 2013

i love these, thanks for the lighter version :)

41 Christine December 16, 2013

do you mix the cereal in with the coconut flour?

42 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables December 16, 2013

Yum! I’m a sucker for chocolate-coated anything, so these are right up my alley!

43 Shannon December 16, 2013

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the awesome recipe! When do you add the cereal? I don’t see it mentioned in the directions.

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

It’s at the end of step 2 (easy to miss!) Hope this helps. :)

45 Rebecca December 16, 2013

Peanut butter balls has always been a holiday tradition with my mom and sister too! I was just trying to think of a way I could make a healthier vegan version so this is perfect! Thanks :)

46 Katie @ 24 Carrot Life December 16, 2013

Yum! I know it’s not vegan, but honey does the same thing as maple syrup so that would work too for those who are not strictly vegan!

47 Amanda December 16, 2013

These look great! Do you have any idea how well they hold up outside the fridge? Not for a long time, just a few hours for a party on the counter.

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Ours were on the counter for an hour before they were all gone ;) Not sure after that. It will depend on the room temperature. If the room is hot, I wouldn’t keep them out long or I would try placing them on a plate that’s been in the freezer.

49 Christine February 4, 2014

We found that if you kept them out for a couple of hours, they did get a little soft, but not unbearably so. I personally like the chocolate kind of crunchy around the soft PB, so we just keep them in a container in the fridge.

50 Ali December 16, 2013

Oh – my mom makes peanut butter balls every year! I was diagnosed with Celiac a few years back and it just never felt like Christmas without them. Last year was the first year she attempted GF PB balls – I ate them all…in a week and a half…and it was a double batch. I wish I were kidding. Part of me hopes that she made them this year too but my waistline hopes she didn’t!

51 Britt @ My. Daily. Randomness. December 16, 2013

These are right up my alley! Can’t wait to give these a try this holiday season – I know they will be a winner with my family!

52 suzanne December 16, 2013

I CANNOT BELIEVE you just posted this! I made pb balls yesterday but was needing a better recipe – just googled it this morning as I want to make a whole other batch! You are a mind reader! I also made your pumpkin gingerbread bars yesterday – loved them! I made a plain glaze but used sucanat to make the powdered sugar so it was a brown glaze which looked so perfect on this type of bar!

what would I do without your blog?????
Thank you AGAIN! :-)

53 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} December 16, 2013

I’ve never heard of peanut butter balls before, but these certainly do look delicious! Looks like they have an amazing texture, and of course the pb-chocolate combo can’t be beat. Can’t wait to try!

54 Dayna @ The Kitchen Library December 16, 2013

Oh em gee! Peanut butter is my favourite food on the planet, but I just got a bunch of almond butter…would I have to adjust the recipe in any way if I wanted to use almond butter instead?

55 Kate December 16, 2013

I have just discovered your blog and it is giving me so much hope! I have tried to make the transition to a plant-based diet a few times and was unsuccessful because I felt like I had to give up all of my traditional favorites. You are giving me so much hope! Thank you for writing.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Kate! I found a slow and steady approach (rather than all at once) worked for me. Good luck with your transition!

57 erin December 16, 2013

I think I just fell more in love with your website. . . if that is even possible! My favorite food combo ever, in healthier form!! YES!

Question. . . Do you have to use the crispy rice cereal in the mix? I think I would prefer to make it without. . .

Thanks for such wonderful recipes that grace my table quite often!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

It’s totally optional if you don’t want to use it! I just love the crunch it provides.
Thanks for your lovely comments about the blog!

59 Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate December 16, 2013

I like these better than your traditional peanut butter balls. The coconut is such a lovely addition!

60 Mahealani @ Spending Time With Salad December 16, 2013

Wow these look so great! I’m not the biggest peanut butter fan, long story, but I like it in little hits here and there. This seems like a great way to eat a ball (or two!) and give the rest away as a gift. Plus, coconut flour? YUM!

61 Brittany December 16, 2013

I’m dying by how delicious these look!! I’m going to have to try these for sure!!

62 Pat December 16, 2013

I once mixed some honey into peanut butter, and it thickened up significantly in the jar. So that would probably work here too. Though depending on your opinion of honey’s vegan-ness, that might make it not vegan.

63 Lo December 2, 2015

Please check the ingredients of the natural peanut butter when you choose one! Many of them have palm oil as an ingredient. The burning of Sumatra and Borneo’s rain forest for palm oil plantations is one of the leading causes of extinction rates in that area of the world

64 Katrina December 16, 2013

Hi Angela! This may be a goofy question, but did you mix by hand or with a mixer? Thanks!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Not goofy at all – I did it by hand.

66 Katie @ Produce on Parade December 16, 2013

Ah! I am so excited! My husband is from Ohio and thus has always had Buckeyes. I know they aren’t very healthy and I’ve been wanting to try something a little more healthy. These look perfect! Thanks for sharing!

67 Melissa December 16, 2013

Thank you so much for making and sharing this recipe!!! My family grew up making traditional and highly unhealthy peanut butter balls (2-3 cups of the highly processed peanut butter, 2 cups of confectioners sugar, 1 stick of butter!! Eek!) that I haven’t made in years since I stopped eating mainstream peanut butter and butter. (Is mainstream the right word??)
Anyway! I can’t wait to make these and I won’t even feel bad letting my 15 month old son have a taste knowing all the ingredients are so pure!

68 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health December 16, 2013

What a brilliant idea! I’m a sucker for a healthified dessert but these honestly look way better than those filled with powdered sugar. I would have to have some self control not to devour them all!

69 Michelle December 16, 2013

I haven’t heard of coconut flour. Is it easy to find?

70 leauna December 16, 2013

What could I replace the cereal with? We dont buy cereal. If i use a cacao bar how much would u recommand?

71 Anna @ Fitness à la Anna December 16, 2013

Peanut ‘better’ balls – instantly justified ;)

72 Em @ Love A Latte December 16, 2013

These look so good! I have everything at home to make them except coconut flour. Do you have to use coconut flour or will another type of flour work? Thanks so much!

73 char eats greens December 16, 2013

Ummm, when I get home from vacay, I’m TOTALLY making theseeeeee!!!

74 Jodie December 16, 2013

Thank you for this! As far as other sweeteners making it thick I have had the same experience with honey and even coconut sugar!
I of course can’t say for sure they will work the same but they do make it really thick as well.
Yum!

75 Megan December 16, 2013

I am embarassingly excited about these.

But my poor itty bitty hometown sells no coconut flour. Anyone have suggestions on where I can buy it online (at a reasonable price?) in Canada?

76 Michelle December 16, 2013

Hilariously, I was eating a peanut butter ball when I came across this post! Except mine definitely had the heaps of icing sugar added. And also a cherry in the middle. So yummy…but I’ll definitely try your version next time I make them!

77 Gemma December 16, 2013

Hi Angela,

These look delicious! Would you believe peanut butter and chocolate isn’t really a thing here in Australia?! It’s madness.

I have a question for you actually. I have recently started a blog with recipes and such but what do you do with all the food?! At the moment I have failed granola (that still trays fine so I’m not throwing it out), a slice, an overnight oats test and coffe concebtrate all in my fridge and that’s with only managing to post a couple of recipes a week!

78 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 16, 2013

girl say what?! I can’t wait to make these, cannot wait!

79 Tara@PNWRunner December 16, 2013

These look delicious and super easy to make! I love that, plus they are great for on the go snacks!

80 elizabeth~hippy mom December 16, 2013

I just made a coconut cacao vegan cheesecake but I will be blendering me one of your green drinks plus adding shots of wheatgrass (since I bought a organic hydroponic flat) and also making this recipe I always have copious amounts of products from WF my heaven. Well off to play with and taste your balls! Happy Holidays !!!

81 elizabeth~hippy mom December 16, 2013

Angela , By the way I love the shoot with the Christmas lights. you rock !!!

82 Loren December 16, 2013

Gathered all the ingredients for these puppies today! Indeed, Bulk Barn has organic coconut flour – which smelled so good I wanted to dive my head into the bin! I’ll let you know how they turned out. Stocked.

83 Katie @ Veggie and the Beast December 16, 2013

These are beautiful! I love that you froze them for a few minutes so you could make the fancy pattern on top :)

My family makes buckeyes every year, so I love the idea of a healthier version. I’ll have to give these a try!

84 Katie December 16, 2013

Very excited to try these. A little skeptical. The full-of-sugar-and-butter peanut butter balls are my husband’s absolute favourite!

85 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 16, 2013

Oh my… these sound like a party! I have a habit of swirling a bunch of cinnamon into my nut butter jars (any nut butter purists would probably hate sharing with me) so I’d totally have to add that to mine, but I love your addition of cereal! This one’s going in the sweet treats file! :)

86 Rosalee December 16, 2013

I do not like coconut at all in any form–hate the smell and taste. Can something else be used for flour and oil? Thank you!

87 Shelley December 16, 2013

These sound great! Love the revised ingredient list! At what point does the rice crisp cereal come in? I didn’t see it mentioned in the step by step instructions.

88 Shelley December 16, 2013

Never mind! I see it now! Long day, eyes tired! :)

89 Laura December 16, 2013

Oh thank you! I am originally from Ohio and we call these Buckeyes. (Due to being the Buckeye state). I have not made them the last few years due to cringing at all the butter and sugar. You are a rock star for making these quite a bit healthier! Thanks again!

90 Meg December 16, 2013

Oh my Gaga. These look AMAZING!! I’m a total fiend for anything chocolate and peanut butter! Unfortunately, I’m in Asian until March and chocolate is crazy expensive (think $8 for something equivalent to a Lindt chocolate bar!). I don’t know how I’m going to wait that long to make these!

91 Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes December 16, 2013

I’m always on a mission show people that vegan food can be delicious. For the past four years, I’ve hosted a vegan holiday party, but last year, everyone loved the non-vegan cake balls my friend brought. This year, I might make these and hope they will beat out the non-vegan cake balls! Wish me luck!

92 Ashley@The Wooden Spoon December 16, 2013

Our house is definitely a peanut butter house. Confession: I’ve never made any type of peanut butter ball, so these are definitely going to go on my list.

93 Julie December 16, 2013

I just made these for a friend and it will take all my willpower not to eat them. I doubled the recipe and it worked really well. Mine certainly don’t look as pretty as yours do, but I bet they taste pretty good. I’m in the “freeze for another 10-15 minutes” stage right now!

94 Kate December 16, 2013

These look so good! Might need to make them but try almond butter or cashew butter…I bet they’d be almost as good :)

95 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal December 16, 2013

These are so stunning. Ahhh <3

96 Amelia December 16, 2013

Brilliant idea with the maple syrup! I am going to try these babies out tomorrow!! :)

97 Sherry December 16, 2013

These look so good. Thanks for “healthifying” -if that’s even a word- yet another favorite. I made your Magical Coconut Bars yesterday for my Xmas baking platter. They turned out delicious – so much better and healthier than the original!

98 Tami@nutmegnotebook December 16, 2013

Oh my goodness this recipe is brilliant! I liove that you figured out how to make them without all the powdered sugar.

99 Caris December 17, 2013

Looks delish! Peanut butter + chocolate = pure bliss! Thank you for sharing your recipe :)

100 Lauren Cosgrave December 17, 2013

Thanks for the great christmas treat recipe. I will be making these soon! How did you get such a beautiful background in your photo? Is that your christmas tree?

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2013

It’s some lights I have on some branches :)

102 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen December 17, 2013

I was looking for a dessert recipe to bring to a potluck on Friday, and I think this just may be it (but with soy nut butter instead of PB)! I was also eying your lightened up magical coconut bars though… decisions, decisions. ;)

103 Nicola December 17, 2013

Made these today and used agave instead of maple syrup and it thickened up nicely. I was looking for a peanut butter recipe to make for my Grandad for Christmas and this is definitely the one! Thanks Angela :)

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2013

So glad it worked for you! Thanks for letting us know.

105 Jodie December 17, 2013

These look awesome . Which brand of coconut oil do you use?

106 Leigh December 17, 2013

When do you add the crispy rice?

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2013

end of step #2

108 Jana December 17, 2013

Like another person said, it must be fate. I have had a package of Bob’s coconut flour in the pantry for a while and haven’t even opened it. Today I will. I don’t have the “right” kind of chocolate, but I have other chocolate… and now I have plans for today.

109 Sarah S. December 17, 2013

This seems much better and tastier than the original idea! Who doesn’t love maple?

110 Justin December 17, 2013

I was thinking of using almond flour instead of coconut flour in this recipe. Any idea how this would react?

111 Amy December 17, 2013

I made these last night for an office “treat exchange”. Yours is the only blog I trust enough to immediately make a recipe for an event without a trial run. Your recipes always turn out great the first time! This was easy, quick and delicious.

112 Krystal December 17, 2013

Would I be able to make my own coconut flour by finely grinding shredded coconut in a coffee grinder/food processor?

113 Anna December 22, 2013

I believe that would make coconut butter

114 Amelia December 17, 2013

Angela, Just wanted you let you know that I made these this morning (with a few substitutions) and wanted to report back what worked for me, in case anyone else was looking for a swap.
– I used 3 medjool dates in place of the maple syrup (stuck the dates in the food processor with peanut butter and pulsed away.) It seized up like syrup does.
– In place of the coconut flour (my husband is not a fan), I used finely ground salted peanuts (almost flour consistency). I also added two more tablespoons of crispy rice cereal.
The ‘dough’ came out perfect, just like a normal buckeye would. Not greasy, sticky, or too dry. Perfect to roll between the palms of your hands.
I also tempered my chocolate (same brand of chocolate chips) instead of adding in coconut oil. I used the method via David Lebovitz’s website. The chocolate set up beautifully around the little balls in about 30 minutes at room temp, so no need to freeze/refrigerate. :) Thanks for your awesome recipes, inspiration, and beautiful photography. (And sorry to hear about your tree mishap on Instagram. :( )

115 Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 17, 2013

Ehrmagherd, buckeyes! (That’s what I grew up calling them, at least.) I loooove these, but I’ve been avoiding them due to the usually prodigious amounts of butter and sugar — so to say the least, I’m pretty effing thrilled that you’ve created a health-ified version of one of my all-time faves. :)

116 Emily @ don't miss dairy December 17, 2013

These look amazing, and I can’t wait to try them! I love the Christmas lights in the background of the photos!

117 silvia December 17, 2013

so delicious!! that sounds nothing compared to your sweet peanut balls!

118 kellie@foodtoglow December 17, 2013

Oh my. New family tradition alert!

119 Jody December 17, 2013

I just made these and had to comment how delicious they are! I love buckeyes and a local cafe makes a vegan version that is delicious but I love knowing these are a healthier version.
And for the people that don’t like coconut, neither does my fiance and he didn’t even notice there was anything coconut related in these! Yummm

120 Liette December 17, 2013

OMG Angela, I made these tonight… maybe I should have waited closer to Christmas… not sure how I will make them last that long. I stored them in my garage freezer hope that helps :). thanks for the awesome recipe and so easy to make, unbelievable.

121 elizabeth~hippy mom December 17, 2013

Hey there you Angela, well idea I wonder if there is some kind of natural vegan food dye, how festive that would be incorporated into some of your desert recipes maybe some red and green colors to give it pop! have no clue what im babbling but if it reaches you then I hope you no all feedback I give should be received with good intent. Happy Holidays. I turn 34 tomorrow, im still young!!!

122 Stacie December 17, 2013

Oh my…these were seriously SO yummy :)

123 Jacqui December 17, 2013

Perfect timing! I too grew up eating buckeyes and have missed them so much. I was just contemplating making buckeyes with vegan butter and the gf Rice Krispies but I will make these instead! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe!

124 Stefanie December 18, 2013

Wow! These look so delicious, healthy, and simple… I may have to add one more thing to my Christmas baking list!

125 monique December 18, 2013

I made these today with the intent of taking them to my office holiday party tomorrow. I do hope they make it – we’ll see. They are so very yummy!

Angela, have you tried Crio Brü? It’s roasted cocoa beans, ground and brewed like coffee. I do mine in my French press with a peppermint tea bag, some almond milk, and a tiny bit of coconut oil. Crazy delicious. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I really like the beverage and thought you would enjoy it as well. Consider this my Christmas present to lovely you.

126 alishadhi December 18, 2013

I am going to make it for my mom…Thanks …

127 Renee Roush December 18, 2013

Oh my gosh! my mother in law brought peanut butter balls to our house at thanksgiving and it was NOT GOOD FOR MY WAISTLINE. I will not put in writing how many I ate… I cannot wait to make these! Today or tomorrow! Will report back!!

128 Elyse @ Lizzie Fit December 18, 2013

You just read my mind… I’ve been researching for the perfect vegan pb ball recipe all week and right before I am heading out to get my ingredients I decide to read a few blogs… You never let me down ;)

129 Lorissa December 18, 2013

I made these yesterday and they were really tasty. The peanut butter part was a bit dry (disappointing!) and I think it was because my peanut butter was a bit on the dry side. I’ll definitely make these again and make sure the peanut butter part is not so dry. Thanks for these, Angela!

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2013

Hey Lorissa, Yes the consistency of the PB can drastically effect the outcome. Mine was quite drippy. Did you use all-natural PB? If your PB seems very thick and dry you might even be able to get away with skipping the coconut flour all together. Hope you have better results next time! Enjoy :)

131 Lorissa December 18, 2013

I actually used two different kinds of peanut butter. Both were organic and the only ingredients were peanuts. One was drippy and the other was very dry. I knew as I was mixing that it was too dry and I should have omitted the flour, but never having made the recipe before, I wanted to follow it exactly. Anyway, they’re delicious and now I know for next time. Thanks again!

132 Becky W December 18, 2013

made these last night. Easy to make and turned out fabulous!!! Thanks!

133 Rachel December 18, 2013

Just so everyone knows, this WILL work the same with no-stir peanut butter. Normally I prefer the just-peanuts stuff, but I picked up a jar by accident at the store and thought, what the heck. After a good mix, it looked just the same as in your pictures above. Thanks for posting this yummy, simple treat! I have a batch chilling right now that my gluten-free friends will love this holiday season. :)

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2013

So glad it worked out for you! Thanks for letting us know. :)

135 Linda December 18, 2013

It’s a pity your Rafflecopter giveaway is only available for people who participate in social media. Those of us who avoid Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook are left out. And I can’t even post my comment on that blog post, because no comments are accepted.

136 Baimochs December 18, 2013

Loved making these!!! Super easy! I found the fork idea didn’t work very well for spreading the chocolate at the end. So I poured the chocolate into a ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the tip. It drizzled the chocolate a lot better! Can’t wait for them to get out of the freezer!!

137 Johanna December 19, 2013

Okay, I made them, and they ARE delicious (despite forgetting the salt). I must have made them bigger then yours, because a double batch yielded about 28. Hehe…I can’t wait to bring them to work.

138 Honey December 19, 2013

Yum! I’ve noticed the same thickening effect when using liquid coconut nectar in some recipes, so I’ll give that a try (here in Malaysia coconut blossom sugar is waaaaay cheaper than maple syrup). When I make peanut butter balls or cups I add in some ground flax to thicken it. I like the mealy texture, it reminds me of Reese’s cups. I’ll give coconut flour a try too!

139 Siena December 19, 2013

These are heavenly! Total crowd pleaser and definite A+!!!

140 Lina December 19, 2013

These look amazing! Coincidentally, I’m currently in my kitchen surveying a total truffle-chocolate-dipping mess — that’s of course not necessarily a bad thing, but I’m trying to figure out how to be a bit more efficient (and get more chocolate on the truffles and less on the counter =P).

Do you have any tips on how to dip truffles with the least waste of chocolate?

141 Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) December 20, 2013

I’ve just made these to take home for Christmas, they are amazing!!

142 Ti December 20, 2013

It is not terribly helpful to see “Gosh, oh golly. This sounds delicious” comments!! Not at all helpful. A suggestion to comment when recipe has actually been completed and tasted would actually be helpful to a person who would like to try the recipe.

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013

If you’d like to see the recipe reviews, go to the last page of the comments. Those are most recent. Hope this helps!

144 Natalie December 20, 2013

I love your recipes and I think you are a magician! You inspire me to be creative and love cooking healthy food! Plus, you’re pictures are gorgeous! I can’t wait to make these peanut butter balls! Do you happen to know the calorie count on these?:)

145 Anoushe December 20, 2013

Hi Angela! I absolutely adore your blog and have been searching for a recipe to make for Christmas. I think this might be it, as I found some coconut flour at our organic store (which is generally badly stocked) and thought: it’s a miracle, it’s a sign!! Now I was wondering, is it possible to leave out the cereal? Or substitute it with oats? Zurich is still new to gluten free lifestyles and does not provide as many things as America has :(

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013

Yes you can certainly leave out the cereal – totally optional. I’m not sure about adding oats. I guess that depends on whether you like raw oats or not! Enjoy :)

147 Carrie December 20, 2013

I just made these today! They are delicious. I had one mishap though – I had rolled all the little balls and was ready to dip them in chocolate, when I realized I had forgotten to add the cereal! So, I dumped all the balls back in the bowl and stirred it up and added the cereal and made all the balls again. Whew! They are still wonderful!

148 Stacey December 20, 2013

Made these with my 3-year-old this morning. We sampled just 1 since we are freezing the rest for Christmas. So, so, so good! We both loved them. (And let’s be honest, I may have to sample another since we have a few more days to go until we celebrate!)

149 Jana December 20, 2013

I made these this morning. Very good. Thanks for the treat that I don’t have to feel too guilty indulging in.

150 Melissa December 20, 2013

I made these tonight, used honey instead of maple syrup because peanut butter and honey is one of my all time favorite combos. The texture of these is AMAZING, and I love that they aren’t super sweet like other peanut butter chocolate recipes (3 cups powdered sugar?!)! My 4 year old son sampled one tonight and said “YUM, can I have some of these with my dinner?!”! Thank you so much!

151 Amy December 20, 2013

Made these yesterday. AMAZING! Followed the recipe perfectly except for using honey instead of maple syrup (not vegan I know…). Any who, amazingly delicious. Thanks OSG!

152 Kanishka deSilva December 20, 2013

Hello Angela,
I made this today and it came out OK. But the mixture was too dry and crumbly. I use organic peanut butter from the bulk section (where you grind your own). It was nice and thick. Maybe it didn’t need and coconut flour. As you mention in the recipe, it firmed up well after mixing with the maple syrup. I was contemplating whether to add the flour as it was already firm.
Thanks,
ps. The Kale salad that you posted during thanksgiving was a hit at my friends Thanksgiving Dinner. That was the only dish that cleaned out!

153 Lisa December 21, 2013

OMG! These are heavenly. These will now become an annual Christmas treat.

154 Lorissa December 21, 2013

My husband took a few of these delicious balls into work and decided to enter them into their (very informal) Christmas Party Bake-Off and won first prize! Ha! Now he’s been requested to bring in more for everyone to try! Ha! Thanks so much for this yummy treat!

155 Lorissa December 21, 2013

P.S. I made some that were big and some that were small and I liked the smaller ones. The peanut butter to chocolate ratio was more to my taste. Just something to consider. :)

156 Sheena December 21, 2013

Made these last night, so delicious! Thank you!

157 Krista December 21, 2013

Since I was a kid, we’ve always made chocolate peanut butter squares with crispy rice cereal, topped with chocolate – and recently it’s been my one concession to powdered sugar because I couldn’t think of a way to get the same effect with healthier sweeteners. I think you’ve done it! I’m going to try making this recipe into bars today. :)

158 Paula December 21, 2013

WOW, made these and they tasted even better than the traditional sugar, butter-laden recipe!! My peanut butter was not very runny so used 1 TBSP of almond flour. Also, used Suzanne’s Organic Maple Rice Nectar instead of maple syrup. Thank you for this amazing and improved recipe makeover. Happy holidays, Angela!

159 Tamara December 21, 2013

OMG, I have been trying to make a spin on reece’s for Christmas for my awesome Husband and have failed miserably…I just made these, and they are AMAZING. You saved the day again!!!

160 Elizabeth December 21, 2013

I made these tonight, but substituted semi-sweet (Enjoy Life) because that is what I had on hand. All I can say is YUM! These are amazing! Thank you, Angela. Another winner to give to my carnivorous family.

161 Tisha December 22, 2013

Just made these…they are so simple and absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!

162 Tammy December 22, 2013

I just made these, they are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! They remind me of the PB balls my husband’s aunt always gifted to us during the holidays when she was alive. Thank you SO much for the delish alternative and I adore the subtle coconut flavor.

BTW, I substituted coconut nectar for the maple syrup and it worked perfectly :)

163 Yolanda December 22, 2013

Tried these today with carob instead of chocolate. They were wonderful!!

164 erin December 22, 2013

I made these this weekend and they were a huge hit! Just to let you know since you mentioned not knowing if another kind of PB would work, I used Jif Natural PB which has minimal ingredients, but isn’t only peanuts. They turned out just fine and were quickly devoured!!

165 Katie @ Veggie and the Beast December 23, 2013

My family and I made these today during our annual cookie baking extravaganza. We make buckeyes every year, but decided to try to make them a bit less naughty this time around by using your recipe. My sister and I were FLOORED by how delicious these were. They seriously taste better than the full-sugar version. Amazing recipe, and so easy! Awesome job!

166 Larissa December 23, 2013

Would it work to use regular flour in place of coconut?

167 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2013

Hi Larissa, I think someone commented saying oat flour worked for them. I haven’t tried anything else myself though.

168 cheryl December 23, 2013

i like this very much healthier version using organic ingredients, maple syrup from local producers to sweeten, coconut oil and flour, mineral rich sea salt and good dark chocolate. i use Scharfen Burger 70% and love Bob’s Red Mill. i want to try these with some local honey in place of part of some maple syrup, sweet rice flour, maybe roll them in something crunchy like chopped toasted pepitas? yummy!

169 cheryl December 23, 2013

… or an almond version with almond butter and flour and rolled in chopped toasted almonds or crushed up salted maple almond toffee? that is candy packed with REAL health benefits! i can get behind that. lol! now i wonder… when i can crank out a batch? possibly for New Year’s. thanks for the inspiration, Martha!

170 Elizabeth December 24, 2013

I whipped up a half batch of these this morning (I only had half a cup of organic peanut butter left!) and oh my, we are in love with them! I replaced coconut flour with ground almonds (that’s all I had) and used agave syrup, but what a success! Thank you for a lovely recipe. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

171 Amy December 24, 2013

The syrup really worked its magic in thickening up the p.b., however the coconut flour left a gritty texture, which in my opinion made them taste terrible! Next time if I ever do try again I will run my flour through my blender first. Hope this might help someone else from making the same mistake as I made!

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013

Hi Amy, Sorry to hear that about the texture! Just curious – did you make the flour yourself or use a certain brand? I’ve found the brand I use (Mums original) is very finely ground and not noticeable. Hope your next trial goes better!

173 Jesse December 24, 2013

These are amazing! I made them in 15 minutes flat and you weren’t kidding when you said if you can wait to eat them until they’ve set up in the freezer you win life! Another winning recipe – can’t wait for the book to come out!

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013

haha glad I’m not the only one who can’t wait that long! Thanks for your kind words!

175 ashley December 24, 2013

I have been making something similar to this only I use sun warrior warrior blend vanilla protein instead of coconut flour, and coconut nectar instead of maple syrup. I don’t usually cover them in chocolate (and i have to sub carob because i’m breastfeeding) but I mix in carob chips so they’re like cookie dough protein balls…. so good ! I use the food processor to make them.

also– I think that maple syrup + pb probably thickens up like that because it’s adding something acidic to something creamy, like how you can add ACV to soy milk to make an egg replacer, or when you add lemon juice to tahini to make dressing it gets really thick- same concept :)

176 Andrea Dolida December 25, 2013

YUM! I also know these as Buckeyes and they have always been my favorite. I made this recipe using just one tablespoon of AP flour and it came together great. I didn’t have the cereal, so I left it out. These are really good! Even my husband likes them and he usually hates anything I try to make healthier. I highly recommend them!

177 Aleks December 26, 2013

Made these yesterday, they were a hit! I omitted the flour completely and added more maple syrup and used ancient grains granola (cascadian farms brand) for the cereal, adding more than 6 tbsp for extra crunch. They were so good I’ll definitely be making more this weekend!! Thanks for this recipe!

178 Yuna December 30, 2013

Angela, I absolutely love your blog! It’s beautiful! And your recipes are amazing!

179 Nic James December 31, 2013

A little sea salt on them before they are cooled off really makes them pop. I also used almond butter and they we very delicious!

180 Linda January 1, 2014

My boyfriend made these for me yesterday, and they’re absolutely fabulous! I’ve nearly eaten them all already! Instead of of coating them in chocolate, he used homemade chocolate. Thank you for a great recipe, one I can enjoy without any itchies/other allergic reactions :)!

181 Charity January 5, 2014

I made these for my son’s birthday, and everyone loved them. To make them even healthier, I used peanut flour with a splash of molasses and water, instead of oily peanut butter, and they were perfect. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

182 Abbey P. January 10, 2014

Yummm these are AWESOME! I made them without the rice cereal, and they turned out great. I also made them much smaller than Angela, so I had to use a bit more chocolate chips to cover all of them. Really fun recipe!

183 TheGreatZambini January 13, 2014

You can’t fool me, these are buckeyes! Yum. I’m in a lazy mood, so the no bake version is perfect. And it sounds like it’s secretly healthy or something if you call it raw. Yay! I’m ready to eat now :)

184 Jillian January 25, 2014

I’m addicted to these!! I’ve made 2 batches already, they’re the perfect snack to have in my freezer. I love your blog, make at least one of your recipes a week and can’t wait for your book to arrive!

185 Erin January 28, 2014

Do these need to be kept in the refrigerator or freezer after the initial freezing? or can they sit out?

186 Gayle February 3, 2014

These were a winner for our family Super Bowl party. Not overly sweet and the crispy cerial gave it a lighter feel. Your website is definitely my go-to place when I want to try new recipes that don’t disappoint. Thanks :)

187 Chelsey February 5, 2014

I did try these with all natural almond butter and honey! A little change for the ones who want to try this. I had to add more coconut flour. I don’t know the exact amount. I also put my almond butter balls in the freezer for about 10 minutes before dipping them in the chocolate to help harden them and keep them together. They taste fabulous!

188 Victoria February 8, 2014

We just made these. We substituted peanut butter for almond butter (1 cup) and maple syrup for agave nectar (2 tbs). It worked perfectly! Thank you so much! They are divine!

189 Moreen Murray February 12, 2014

Made these today – super yummy and yes, hard to resist eating before they are finished! I mixed in some almond and cashew butter with the peanut butter. Thanks for the recipe!

190 Mel February 13, 2014

Was out of the rice cereal; subbed oatmeal. Still super yummy! The kids said they taste like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!

191 kristin February 13, 2014

I am newly transitioning to vegan and your blog is so helpful. Especially for things like this when I want an old classic but don’t know what the vegan substitute could be. Thank you!!!!

192 Sonja February 14, 2014

You are a vegan genius! Everything about these are heaven. I followed the recipe to a T and actually doubled the batch. My non-vegan family devoured them and was none the wiser. Once they were gone, I told them I used ground peanuts (no sugar) and no powdered sugar. They were amazed!! Thank you for all of your recipes…its a keeper!

193 Stephen February 14, 2014

I just made this recipe. I used 85% Cocoa dark chocolate without the coconut oil.
I had the chocolate over my face, all over the kitchen cabinets, and over the floor but I managed to make 15 of these treats – one for the Chef :) Absolutely delicious! Thanks for this recipe.

By the way, great site for two relatively new Vegans.

194 Erin February 14, 2014

Yet another delicious recipe from you! These are so good and so easy, and of course, healthier than their traditional alternative. Thanks again!

195 Michelle February 26, 2014

Made these yesterday and the whole batch disappeared in less than 3 hours. My family is already asking me to make them again!! Fantastic recipe!

196 Amara February 27, 2014

I made these for Valentine’s Day and was blown away at how they tasted exactly like the chocolate covered peanut butter Easter eggs my Nana used to make. Tried to veganize her recipe a few years ago with little success but these were spot on! So pleased to share this recipe with my family and make some eggs at Easter time!

Also altered half of the batch by adding crumbled vegan oreo style cookies. Oh. My. Yum. Definitely takes them out of the “better” category, but those were to die for.

197 Karolina March 1, 2014

Wonderful!

198 Mary March 3, 2014

Could anyone taste the maple syrup? How about the coconut?

Not a fan of either, so I just want to purely taste the chocolate and peanut butter :).

199 Susan March 10, 2014

Hi Angela:

I made a half batch of these on the weekend and they were unbelievable!! Better than the pre-made peanutbutter cups that are available for purchase :) I am surprised that I didn’t eat them all in one sitting they were so delicious!!

If you can believe it, I did find them a bit sweet and am planning to make them again but without adding the maple syrup.

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures and tasty recipes – love the blog and your book!
Susan

200 sacha March 15, 2014

My family LOVED these!! The first time i made them i did exactly like you said, the next time i changed it a little. I subbed the 6 Tbsp of rice cereal with 3 Tbsp Oats and 3 Tbsp Chia. It was so yummy as well! I love your website, and usually turn to you for help on what to make for meals!

201 Marti March 30, 2014

I have so enjoyed your enthusiasm and creativity as you encourage all of us in healthy eating options!! Congratulations on your book and expected little addition to your family!! We used to made peanut butter bars for our now grown 5 kids and I added Raw, Brown, Sesame Seeds to the peanut butter mixture for a bit of crunchy texture, probably similar to the rice crisp cereal. I had to try your recipe for old time sake, yummy! Thanks for the memories!!

202 Tara April 14, 2014

I just made a double batch of these today (for a party) and they are fabulous! I can’t wait for my guests to try them! I made some modifications that worked very well too… I used smooth sunflower seed butter–which was pretty runny to begin with, and already had a little salt and sugar added— so I only needed about half of the maple syrup and coconut flour your recipe called for, to get the right consistency. Right before I set them in the freezer, I sprinkled a few grains of medium-coarse sea salt over the tops, which is a wonderful combo with the dark chocolate! Thank you for sharing!!

203 Suzanne Wenzel April 17, 2014

Angela- I just made these today for the first time and we all love them!!! Thanks so much for the recipe- you’re right- you can’t tell that they don’t have all of the sugar of traditional P.B. balls.

204 Micki April 18, 2014

I never leave comments but I made these and they were AMAZING! They contain wonderful ingredients and are a lot better than any store bought vegan junk. Even my parents enjoyed them and they kind of hate everything vegan or semi healthy. Thank you for this wonderful, delicious recipe!

205 Victoria R. April 22, 2014

I just made these – delicious! And I don’t feel so guilty.

I didn’t have any coconut flour on hand so I just mixed in flax powder. Still seemed to work just fine for me. Thank you for another great treat!

206 Jennifer April 22, 2014

My three kids love this recipe! Adding the maple syrup to thicken up the peanut butter is genius. Thanks so much.

207 Steph @ Steph Cook Wellness April 29, 2014

Peanut butter and I have been on a break recently…I can’t imagine that will last long now that I’ve found this! Holy yum. Can’t wait to try these!

208 Helena May 1, 2014

Do you know the nutrition info on this? I am wondering if these would be a good option for fattening up my underweight boy.

209 Emilie May 12, 2014

I just made these and they were AMAZING I had to brush my teeth to restrain myself from eating them all right now! Haha Thankyou!

210 Lovestofly May 17, 2014

These are in the freizwr there now. Some preliminary comments:

1. Picking them up with a fork to dip into the chocolate did not work. The fork broke them apart. I found what worked instead was simply dropping them into the chocolate, using a spoon to roll them around, and then lifting them with the spoon onto the plane.

Two. The amount of chocolate chips and coconut butter recommended could not make enough chocolate sauce to dip the balls into. I don’t know, maybe I need a super small pot. Anyway, what I did instead was drop the balls into the pot, and then roll them around to pick up the sauce.

3.because they were so messy looking when I was done, I did not bother with the drizzling… It would not even show! Instead what I did was I scraped the peanut butter mixture off the bowl, mixed it into the leftover chocolate and are it off the spoon. If this is anything like the balls will taste, I am happy indeed!

211 Shannon October 26, 2014

Same thing happened to me, except I had enough chocolate with some leftover to dip bananas in and freeze.

Your way sounds smarter than mine re: the fork didn’t work. I just picked them up and rolled them around with my hands- definitely will try the spoon next time!!

212 Connie May 21, 2014

Yummy! I followed this recipe almost exactly. Wasn’t sure if the rice cereal was gluten free, so I did substitute chopped peanuts for the cereal and used rice flour instead of the coconut flour. Didn’t think 1 cup of peanut butter would be enough for 16 balls, but it amazingly was. Served it for dessert and everyone loved them! I will need to make these weekly. It’s a nice chocolate treat to satisfy anyones sweet tooth craving.

213 Elora Tarlo May 27, 2014

Where does the cereal come in???

214 Beth @ Eat Within Your Means May 28, 2014

Hi Angela! I made these a while ago and loved them, and in the process got a hairbrained idea to swap out some of the peanut butter for chickpeas. To my surprise, it was a huge hit! I tweaked the filling a little more and recently made mini peanut butter cups and posted about it this week. I credited you as the inspiration for the recipe, so thank you! :) Hope all is going well in your pregnancy, so exciting!

215 hannah July 3, 2014

How long do these keep for? and do you keep them in the fridge or freezer
Thanks!1

216 karoline July 12, 2014

Hello Angela,
I mixed some amaranth pops into the chocolate coating because I didn’t have rice crisps at home. Turned out very nice and crispy.
My boyfriend doesn’t like peanut butter, so today I will replace it with hazelnut butter. I hope that will work out just as good as the peanut version.

I discovered your blog a few months ago and it became my favorite vegan food blog.
Thank you for all the fantastic recipes on the blog and in your book.
Best regards from Germany,
karoline

217 Julie July 27, 2014

I made the Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites from Oh She Glows today. They are delicious! I’m always so busy so I doubled the batch so that we can just grab a few whenever. I love that they are a “no-bake” dessert too! I’m making these Peanut Butter Balls tomorrow. My sister-in-law always makes the regular version at Christmas, but there’s so much sugar in them. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipes.

218 Jenny P. July 28, 2014

These were great, and a very versatile recipe. I substituted almost every ingredient and they still came out great. I used what I had around, so regular no-mix (crunchy) PB, fake maple syrup, garbanzo bean flour, and cocoa krispies. I think it would have been better with regular rather than crunchy PB, but the difference was minor. I’ll definitely make these again!

219 Rosie August 14, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Whoever first put peanut butter and chocolate together, was an absolute genius! I just made these using mostly peanut butter and 1/4 cup almond butter. Also, I didn’t have any coconut flour, so I used almond meal/flour and it worked great! Perfect texture for rolling and they taste amazing!

220 Marta August 23, 2014
Recipe Rating:

It adheres to my teeth so much, but tastes not bad

221 Rachel August 26, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These are absolutely amazing! I followed the recipe exactly, and they came out perfect. Next time I’m going to throw a little shredded coconut and crushed almonds in the chocolate before I dip the balls and see how that does. My husband is not a fan of sweets, but he was obsessed with these. I will be using this recipe all the time!

222 kay August 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these today,turned out pretty good. i had to place my peanut butter mixture in the fridge for a few minutes so that i could roll them into balls.That worked great. tastes good!

223 Rachel September 2, 2014

Hi! Is there any othe kind of cereal you tried or a substitution for it? Thank you!

224 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2014

Anything crunchy would probably be ok. You could even use cereal flakes (like bran) – I would crunch them up in a plastic baggie and maybe add half the amount so it isn’t too dense.

225 jeni September 6, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made these over and over again, and they’re always a hit. I’ve used slightly different variations based on the ingredients I have or haven’t had on hand, and they’re always great and make everyone swoon. So simple, so perfect. Five stars, without a shadow of a doubt.

226 Mittmah October 25, 2014

I just made these for my niece’s Halloween party today !! In the freezer right now !! Thanks for the recipe.

227 Lisa DeLeo October 25, 2014

AMAZING! This recipe made me look like a total CULINARY DIVA! Thank you so much. Delicious, easy and gorgeous. What could be better?

I used “old fashioned” peanut butter from the big box grocery store and didn’t need the flour.

The hardest part was not eating them all before the company arrived.

I’ll be back!

228 Shannon October 26, 2014
Recipe Rating:

As a gluten free/vegan college student, THESE ARE FANTASTIC. The no-bake makes them perfect for dorms, and they’re a delicious treat when it’s so hard to find good GF/V desserts. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, except I microwaved the chocolate and I substituted coconut oil with Earth Balance, and it was incredible and worked just the same.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. These were always my favorite treats as a kid, and now I can eat them again on my new diet restrictions!

229 Yolanda October 28, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These are awesome!! I have made them several times with carob chips instead of chocolate. Nom nom

230 Tracy October 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Fabulous!!! I made them with honey. Ended up not needing much coconut flour. Yum yum yum! Aren’t you clever how you figured out a consistency for the insides. I’ve made them for neighborhood kids for Halloween. Thank you!

231 Carina November 7, 2014

These turned out amazing! My husband loves Reese’s and I’ve managed to wean him off, thanks to you. Your recipes are so simple and yummy; I’m hooked!

232 Annaliese November 11, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just made these….and they are wonderful :) I added a bit of freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon to the filling, and also added a sprinkling of sea salt on the tops before the chocolate cooled. Delicious! Will be making these again for the holidays…what a great use for the rando-bag of coconut flour in my pantry!

233 Kelly December 5, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Flawless recipe! Just made a triple batch for a tree-trimming party at a vegan friend’s house tomorrow. Fancied some of them up with toasted coconut garnish, others with fancy sea salt, and a few with hot smoked paprika. Be gone, powdered sugar!

234 Lane Ngo December 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I really wanted to love these, but I feel like something is missing in this recipe. Perhaps it was the texture and not enough sweetener. Maybe I should stick to healthy savory dishes. I’m glad others had better success than I did.

235 Briana December 15, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight w/almond butter. They were really good! What did you use to make the chocolate swirl design? I tried drizzling with a spoon and it didn’t come out as neat.

236 Melissa December 18, 2014

I was wondering if I could use regular whole wheat flour instead of coconut flour, just because I can’t find any at my store for a good price and I’m not gluten-free anyway. Would that change the taste too much or does anyone think that would work fine?

237 Stephanie December 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I didn’t have ‘true’ coconut flour. I had bulk shredded coconut flakes that I threw in the old Magic Bullet for a few seconds and voila. Used that and it worked just fine.

238 Christie willms December 19, 2014

Just made this little delights! I subbed agave syrup for the maple syrup (tablespoon for tablespoon) and spelt flour for the coconut flour. I had to use about 3.5 tbsp of the spelt flour, but they worked out! Yay

239 Amy B. December 21, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just made these! I think I ate half the PB mixture before they made it to the freezer. I am being completely honest when I say I like these better than the original. Thanks for the recipe and happy holidays!

240 Christin December 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made these twice so far and I’m making them a third time this weekend for my family Christmas party! I’m sure you can tell by now how much I love them. YUM!!!

241 Camelia December 23, 2014

Hi, do you have any idea what could be used instead of the rice crisp cereals? We don’t have anything like that around here, I don’t even know how they’re supposed to look like and taste.
Thanks, Camelia

242 Mindy January 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these following the recipe exactly and took them to a work brunch. They were the first dessert gone, everybody loved them. I shouldn’t have told my husband there might be leftovers for him!

243 Rebecca January 11, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made these with regular all purpose flour and they turned out great! I used two TBSP. May have needed a smaller pot for the chocolate, however, as there really wasn’t enough for dipping. I was able to use a spoon and drizzle it on little by little.

244 Laura January 13, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just have to say I love this recipe and use it often!
Such an attractive looking dessert to bring along or serve guests, quick to prepare and SO delicious! I make mamy of your recipes very often and this is in the top 10!

245 Lizzie January 20, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are some of my absolute FAVORITE clean treats. I don’t have coconut flour so I use oat flour. You can also do these as bars – it’s not as messy and you don’t waste any of the chocolate. ;-)

246 Chloe de Nazelle January 24, 2015

Hi there, I’m about to make these! Do they freeze well? :)

247 Quinn February 10, 2015

These look amazing! Definitely want to try for Valentine’s Day!

248 Heather February 10, 2015

Hi Angela,

I adore your book and your website – thanks so much for all of the great recipes! For the coconut flour, can you blend shredded, unsweetened coconut in a VitaMix, or would that make more of a purée?

Thanks,
Heather

249 Ari February 10, 2015

Yay!!! I used to gobble these as a child! So excited to try a healthier version I haven’t had these in years!

250 Sarah Nichols February 10, 2015

I think i missed the part in the instructions where I am to add the rice cereal. Help?!

251 Sarah Nichols February 10, 2015

Nevermind… Long day ;(

252 Michael February 10, 2015

Have made these several times. So addicting, the trick is to not eat them all at once!! My wife and I love your book too! Everything we have made out of it has been delicious. Thank you!

253 Kara February 10, 2015

Can you substitute almond butter

254 Daisy February 10, 2015

Do you think you can substitute the maple syrup for honey ?

255 Frances May 16, 2015

I used Greek honey which worked great. And I also added a bit more coconut flour to the mix and put the rolled balls in the freezer before coating them in chcoclate so that it was easier to work with.

256 Rachael Rowsell February 10, 2015

They are decadent. I have made the PNB Balls and they turned out amazing for Valentine’s on Saturday Feb 14th and I can’t wait to show them off to my husband. I mailed a small package of the pnb balls to my daughter who lives in Collingwood and she called to tell me they are soooooo good. She is my inspiration when it comes to cooking vegan. I can’t wait to try more recipes in the cookbook.

257 Sue M. February 11, 2015
Recipe Rating:

In addition to the detox tabbouleh, we made these yesterday. Also awesome! I love the crunch of the GF rice crispies in the peanut butter, and you were right, it starts out runny and gets thicker after mixing with maple syrup. Weird! We didn’t have any dark chocolate, so I just melted some Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chips. Perfect! Thank you for sharing!

258 Marie February 12, 2015

do we keep the balls in the freezer?

259 Jennifer C. February 13, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Loved these! I tried using organic puffed quinoa instead of the rice crisp cereal, and they turned out perfect! :)

260 Danielle February 15, 2015

These look delish :) Is there another option other than coconut flour?

261 Heidi February 15, 2015

I have four young children so making these into peanut butter balls AND dipping them into chocolate was sometimes a challenge so I have finally figured out I could doubl the recipe, put it in a 9 x 13 pan and then just put the chocolate over-the-top and let set- fabulous! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

262 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen February 17, 2015

Yum! These sound absolutely wonderful!

263 k March 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These have been getting me through late afternoon, late evening chocolate cravings this winter.
Made them again and I have to say it’s one of the simplest, yet most satisfying sweet treats!

Thanks!

264 Swapna April 17, 2015

Thanks for the recipe! What would you recommend doing in terms of making these a day before they are to be served? Do they freeze well and how long do they take to thaw?

265 Nikki @ Tikkido May 5, 2015

Ooh, I love the idea of substituting with coconut flour! I’ll have to give that a try with my favorite childhood recipe. It didn’t use powdered sugar, but used powdered milk and wheat germ.

266 Katie May 9, 2015

I just made these last week with sun butter instead of peanut butter (nut allergies). Worked great!

267 Frances May 16, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night and they turned out awesome! I used Greek honey (which is thicker than regular honey) instead and it worked just fine. After rolling them into balls, I found that putting them into the freezer to firm up before coating them in chocolate made them much easier to work with. Another great recipe, thanks Angela!

268 Alisha May 21, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Amazing! I will make these again :)

269 Gabby May 30, 2015

Hi Angela! : )

I know you wrote this a few years back, but I wanted you to know that I just made a double batch of these this morning, and they turned out wonderfully! I really wanted a low sugar buckeye recipe, so I was happy to try this one. My husband and I were happy to taste the peanut butter, since often the high sugar recipes taste more of butter and sugar than peanut : ) I also love how few dishes this takes, since we don’t have a dishwasher. (I measured the 2 cups peanut butter directly into my 4 cup measuring pyrex)

Anyway, thanks a bunch, and if you’re still writing, then keep it up!
-Gabby

270 Betty June 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I loved this recipe. I was missing some ingredients so I added chocolate flavored protein powder and cocoa powder instead of coconut flour and added toasted coconut flakes and chopped pecans instead of the rice crispies. It came out just great. I froze them and they hardened and had the texture of a chocolate truffle. Putting the cocoa powder in saved me the time to dip them in chocolate. Next time I’ll be sure to get the missing ingredients and try the original recipe. Thanks for a great healthy recipe, can’t wait to try some of your others.

271 Jenny August 25, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I know I’m late in the game here, but I made this recipe yesterday and it was amazing!! So easy to make and insanely delicious!

272 Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats October 18, 2015

I can’t get over how healthy this recipe is, such a great idea to use coconut flour! These sound delicious, anything with PB and Chocolate is… I love the name of these too! So clever! :) hehe

273 Lindsey October 23, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight without crispies (I like smooth peanut butter balls) and chocolate out of maple, cocoa powder, and coconut oil since I didn’t have vegan chips. The batter is like eating Reese’s filling! So good.

274 Cheyenne November 25, 2015

How disappointing that I found this recipe via your oil-free recipes tag, yet lo and behold, oil is one of the ingredients. :(

275 Jana December 13, 2015

These were a super big hit, simple and delicious

276 Liz December 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Loved this recipe! Going to make another batch to take home this Christmas. I’m wanting to add bourbon or whiskey. Other recipes add they bourbon to the peanut butter mixture. Do you think this would be best, instead of adding it to the chocolate?

277 cate December 19, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These tasted amazing! Biggest problem is that they were too runny to stick a fork in an dip and instead i rolled them in the chocolate and ended up with ugly blobs with chocolate pooled on the bottom. Is there a way to make the chocolate thinner to make dipping easier? Also I used 2.5 tablespoons of coconut flour, should I have used more?

278 Rach December 23, 2015

At what point do you add the rice cereal? Did that step get skipped in directions?

279 Rach December 23, 2015

NM! I see it!

280 Susan December 29, 2015

As a child we would make chocolate covered peanut butter balls, we called them buckeyes. They were a favorite of mine so I attempted them with my kids last year. I became so disgusted with the amount of powdered sugar in them that I could finish making them. So I was thrilled to find this recipe and made them this year for Christmas. They are incredible and just as decadent as the buckeyes I made as a child without the excessive amount of sugar.

281 Kaitlin January 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made these using the peanut butter that you grind at the store and they were way too dry and falling apart. I did not use any flour. I added extra maple syrup but hesitated to use too much more because I was going for low sweetness. The resulting creation tasted wonderful though. I’m going to use the jar kind next time. Thank you for the recipe.

282 Shelli March 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made these this weekend for easter! Everyone loved them! I was luck to get away with two more at the end of the night for my own enjoyment! <3 Great recipe! SUPER easy to make with and excellent payoff!

283 Angela Liddon March 28, 2016

So happy everyone enjoyed them, Shelli! Happy Easter. :)

284 Lea May 9, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this wonderful recipe on the weekend and they didn’t last more than two days in our home! I have a sensitivity/intolerance to chocolate so I substituted with carob chips and they turned out perfect. For an added sweet vs. salty factor, I sprinkled a little pink Himalayan seat salt (also what I used in the peanut butter mixture) on top before putting them in the freezer and it was amazing! Thanks for another great recipe!

285 Angela Liddon May 9, 2016

Hi Lea, I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe (they don’t last long in my house, either)!