Peanut Better Balls

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 16, 2013

veganpeanutbutterballs-4311-2

I have fond memories of making peanut butter balls with my mom and sister every holiday season. The women in my family are all big peanut butter and chocolate fans, so it seems like a natural holiday dessert to splurge on. In fact, I know when they see this post they’ll be running to the kitchen to make this version! You can’t beat how easy peanut butter balls are to throw together during those hectic last-minute preparations.

This year, I came up with a lighter version of my childhood favourite. Rather than using 2 cups of powdered sugar and plenty of butter like the old recipe, I turned to a few lighter ingredients to do the same job.

veganpeanutbutterballs-4275

pbballs-4284

This version contains much less sweetener than classic recipes, but I promise you won’t even notice the difference, especially once the chocolate coating is in place!

The secret to achieving a similar dough (without all the powdered sugar) is a little trick I picked up from making homemade nut butter in my food processor. I noticed when I added too much maple syrup into the machine, it would cause the nut butter to seize up (i.e., get really thick). After that point, no matter how much I processed the nut butter, it never returned back to it’s creamy, drippy state. A similar thing happens when you add water to melted chocolate.

For this recipe, I used this knowledge to my advantage by stirring the peanut butter and maple syrup vigorously, until the mixture “seized” and thickened up. Well, it worked like a charm! All I had to do after that was add a couple tablespoons of coconut flour for additional thickening powers. Coconut flour is quite dense and drying, so just a little bit did the trick. No powdered sugar necessary. Yes!

Tip: If you are new to coconut flour and don’t want to buy a whole bag, try buying a small amount from a bulk food bin. I’m pretty sure Bulk Barn carries coconut flour.

veganpeanutbetterballs

At first, when you stir in the maple syrup, it will look quite runny and you’ll think there’s no way it’s going to thicken up, but it does. Just keep on stirring! It took me probably 30 seconds of stirring and letting it sit a couple minutes helps it firm up too (the coconut flour absorbs a lot of moisture). The timing will depend on how thick (or thin) your brand of peanut butter is (I only recommend using 100% all-natural peanut butter with nothing else added). It’s quite possible you might need a touch more (or less) coconut flour than what I used. I’m not sure if other sweeteners will work the same way that maple syrup does, so I can’t vouch for the results if you swap out the maple syrup.

vegantutlecookiessquare2-4282

Once it thickened up, I stirred in some sea salt to enhance the flavours and rice crisp cereal for a crunchy texture. Oh my….simply irresistible!!

pbballsvegan-4300

Watch them disappear almost as quickly as they were made.

veganpeanutbutterballs-4256

4.8 from 36 reviews

Peanut Better Balls

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

By

These peanut butter balls forgo the powdered sugar and butter, and instead use a few lighter ingredients using only a fraction of the sweetener compared to traditional recipes. You'll wonder how you ever lived without this recipe around the holidays! It's quick to throw together and makes about 16-20 balls that will fill a platter for a holiday party. For mess-free finger food, place the balls in mini cupcake liners.

Yield
16-20 balls
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Chill time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup 100% natural peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
  • 3.5-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste (see note)
  • 1-3 tablespoons coconut flour, only if needed
  • fine grain sea salt, to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
  • 6 tablespoons gluten-free rice crisp cereal
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil

Directions:

1. Stir the jar of peanut butter well before using. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter and maple syrup vigorously, for 30-60 seconds, until it thickens up. It will go from runny to thick during this time.
  2. Stir in the coconut flour until combined (if your PB is dry, you might be able to skip this step or only use half). We're looking for a texture that isn't too sticky, but not too dry either. Let it sit for a couple minutes to firm up as the coconut flour will continue to absorb moisture with time. Add a touch more coconut flour if necessary. Or if it's too dry, add a touch more syrup.
  3. Add salt to taste and stir in the cereal.
  4. Shape into small balls (I made about 17).
  5. In a small pot, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat over low heat, stirring frequently. Once half the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
  6. With a fork, dip the balls into the melted chocolate. Tap off excess chocolate on the side of the pot and place the ball on a plate or cutting board lined with parchment. Repeat for the rest. Save any leftover melted chocolate for later.
  7. Place balls in the freezer for around 6-8 minutes until mostly firm.
  8. Dip a fork into the leftover melted chocolate and drizzle it on top of the balls to create a "sophisticated" design like the baking diva you are.
  9. Freeze the balls for another 10-15 minutes, until the chocolate is completely set. If you can wait that long, you win life.

Tips:

1) I'm not sure if other liquid sweeteners will work in this recipe (and firm up the peanut butter the same way as maple syrup does), therefore I can't recommend any. A reader did tell me that agave nectar worked for her though! 2) I recommend only using 100% natural peanut butter for this recipe. You just want to see roasted peanuts on the label (and maybe salt, if it’s salted). The no-stir kinds made with oil and sugar might not work the same way. The PB I used was very drippy. If your PB seems dry, you probably won't need to use all of the coconut flour.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! December 16, 2013 at 9:02 am

These look lovely! Love the addition of coconut flour! I am sure it adds great texture!

Summer January 11, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I made these using a peanut free butter I bought and subbed out the coconut flour for Brown rice flour. Delicious and still gluten free. We love them!

Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog December 16, 2013 at 9:07 am

I am so making these for my husband – he is a peanut butter fiend. I might even try some with my favourite cashew butter – mmmm, the possibilites are endless

Laurie December 16, 2013 at 9:08 am

This is my first comment on your blog. I love PB & chocolate anything so I’m super excited to make this ASAP! I’ve been following your blog for years & all the recipes I’ve tried have been great! Thanks for making being vegan a little easier to share amazing recipes with family & friends:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thanks for your comment Laurie! I hope you enjoy them :)

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} December 16, 2013 at 9:09 am

Oh my, these look heavenly! I know these as “Buckeyes” and they were a childhood favorite. I haven’t made them in years, because of all the butter and sugar! I will definitely be making these, they seem almost too good to be true.

(Love the light bokeh, beautiful!)

Taylor December 19, 2013 at 2:15 am

Just made these! They were so good! One is just enough to satisfy a craving for something decadent. Thank you!

Lexi January 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Would it change if I didn’t use rice cereal? I have all the ingredients but those. They look so good!

alicia April 28, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Did you try it without the rice cereal? I was wondering the same thing

Gabby May 28, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Hi! I didn’t add the cereal. They came out really great, but next time I’m going to add it because I think the crunch would make them even better!

kea September 24, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

I used some coarse chopped almonds and oats instead of the rice cereal! Added texture and turned out great !

Siiri December 16, 2014 at 7:38 am

I didn’t want to buy a whole box of rice crispies just for this so I didn’t use them either. I did however add dried cranberries for contrast. They’re great! I was a bit worried about the measurments because around this corner of the world we use the metric system, but this recipe was so easy I basically didn’t even need to measure!

susanj December 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

I am not a fan of coconut at all. Can another flour and oil be used?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi Susan, I’m not sure about substitutes as I’ve only tested them using the ingredients in the recipe. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Alana April 22, 2015 at 6:30 am

You can try not using any flour OR oil. If you homemake the peanut butter it should be firm anyway ;)

Sherry December 17, 2013 at 9:23 am

Susan j- I don’t care for coconut either,however, I use coconut flour in many recipes and I don’t taste coconut at all. Maybe give it a try in a small batch because these look absolutely scrumptious! Definitely making these for the holidays!

Amelia December 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Susan, have you ever tried subbing in peanut flour? You can purchase it on amazon and iherb.com

susanj December 19, 2013 at 3:03 am

Sherry
They do look yummy and want to try them. That is a good suggestion the half batch. thanks

Amelia
No I have not but what a great idea.. I will try the peanut flour. I didn’t even know they had peanut flour but that would be great in this recipe. thanks!

Amelia J February 12, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I used garbanzo flour and they actually turned out amazing… yum yum!

Sarah December 16, 2013 at 9:17 am

These look amazing! Peanut butter balls are my favorite Christmas candy since childhood and I’ve been wanting to find a way to lighten them up without sacrificing the flavor. This looks like you nailed it. I can’t wait to try them!!

[email protected] December 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

I have never used coconut flour before; I think I am going to half to try it. What a wonderful alternative to a classic treat.

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 16, 2013 at 9:23 am

Angela these look & sound incredible! I’m a big fan of cookie dough, balls, truffles, bites, and if it has PB (and coconut flour and those great little crispy rice cereal bits in it), all the better! I need a dozen :) pinned

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen December 16, 2013 at 9:23 am

OH MY – These look amazing! I can’t think of any better combination than chocolate and peanut butter – I think it would be hard not to “sample” all the dough – I am not sure if I would even be even able to make it to the “ball” stage ;) Can’t wait to make these! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

yes, it’s very hard not to just grab the bowl and enjoy with a spoon! hah.

Ann December 16, 2013 at 9:30 am

Can these be made in advance and stored in the
fridge until serving? They sound amazing & I’d like
to make them a few days in advance. :-) Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

I can’t see why not!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

My husband is a huge fan of the peanut butter balls at Christmas time. I cannot wait to make these for him! Thanks for a great recipe!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 16, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oh yeah, babe! These are getting made ASAP!

Caitlin December 16, 2013 at 9:47 am

these look delicious, angela!

Cassie December 16, 2013 at 9:49 am

I do love me some peanut butter and chocolate. I can’t wait to try this one!

Lori Stewart December 16, 2013 at 9:57 am

Do you think they would ship ok?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hi Lori, I don’t think they would hold up in transit…well, I think the chocolate coating would potentially melt depending on the conditions?

Diane December 16, 2013 at 9:53 am

I will definitely be making these for the holidays! Can you change the peanut butter to almond butter? We have a peanut allergy in the house. By the way I just wanted to to say thank you for all the amazing recipes you continually post. You are hands down the BEST food blog ever!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hey Diane, Thanks for your kind words!
I’m not sure about swapping the peanut butter in this recipe. I’ve only tried it this way so I really don’t know if the almond butter and maple syrup would thicken the same way. Let us know how it goes if you try it! The recipe can be halved so maybe you could try a smaller batch.

Katrina @ WVS December 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

These look phenomenal!! LOVE!

Renelle December 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

These look delicious! I cannot wait to try them!

mary December 16, 2013 at 10:00 am

These look beautiful! I’ve made peanut butter chocolate balls with a similar recipe but NEVER have mine looked as pretty!

Alex @ Kenzie Life December 16, 2013 at 10:06 am

My grandma always used to make these for Christmas but these look like a far healthier option! I can’t wait to try them!

Erin @ An Inside Job December 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

This must be a sign! I have had coconut flour sitting in my pantry and truer a recipe yesterday only to have it be awful. Idk why I try any other recipes besides yours! Now I have a new dessert to take to the inlaws for Christmas!! Thank you!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health December 16, 2013 at 10:14 am

i love these, thanks for the lighter version :)

Christine December 16, 2013 at 10:34 am

do you mix the cereal in with the coconut flour?

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables December 16, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yum! I’m a sucker for chocolate-coated anything, so these are right up my alley!

Shannon December 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the awesome recipe! When do you add the cereal? I don’t see it mentioned in the directions.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm

It’s at the end of step 2 (easy to miss!) Hope this helps. :)

Rebecca December 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

Peanut butter balls has always been a holiday tradition with my mom and sister too! I was just trying to think of a way I could make a healthier vegan version so this is perfect! Thanks :)

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life December 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

Yum! I know it’s not vegan, but honey does the same thing as maple syrup so that would work too for those who are not strictly vegan!

Amanda December 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

These look great! Do you have any idea how well they hold up outside the fridge? Not for a long time, just a few hours for a party on the counter.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Ours were on the counter for an hour before they were all gone ;) Not sure after that. It will depend on the room temperature. If the room is hot, I wouldn’t keep them out long or I would try placing them on a plate that’s been in the freezer.

Christine February 4, 2014 at 9:02 am

We found that if you kept them out for a couple of hours, they did get a little soft, but not unbearably so. I personally like the chocolate kind of crunchy around the soft PB, so we just keep them in a container in the fridge.

Ali December 16, 2013 at 11:35 am

Oh – my mom makes peanut butter balls every year! I was diagnosed with Celiac a few years back and it just never felt like Christmas without them. Last year was the first year she attempted GF PB balls – I ate them all…in a week and a half…and it was a double batch. I wish I were kidding. Part of me hopes that she made them this year too but my waistline hopes she didn’t!

Britt @ My. Daily. Randomness. December 16, 2013 at 11:49 am

These are right up my alley! Can’t wait to give these a try this holiday season – I know they will be a winner with my family!

suzanne December 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

I CANNOT BELIEVE you just posted this! I made pb balls yesterday but was needing a better recipe – just googled it this morning as I want to make a whole other batch! You are a mind reader! I also made your pumpkin gingerbread bars yesterday – loved them! I made a plain glaze but used sucanat to make the powdered sugar so it was a brown glaze which looked so perfect on this type of bar!

what would I do without your blog?????
Thank you AGAIN! :-)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} December 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’ve never heard of peanut butter balls before, but these certainly do look delicious! Looks like they have an amazing texture, and of course the pb-chocolate combo can’t be beat. Can’t wait to try!

Dayna @ The Kitchen Library December 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Oh em gee! Peanut butter is my favourite food on the planet, but I just got a bunch of almond butter…would I have to adjust the recipe in any way if I wanted to use almond butter instead?

Kate December 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I have just discovered your blog and it is giving me so much hope! I have tried to make the transition to a plant-based diet a few times and was unsuccessful because I felt like I had to give up all of my traditional favorites. You are giving me so much hope! Thank you for writing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I’m so happy to hear that Kate! I found a slow and steady approach (rather than all at once) worked for me. Good luck with your transition!

erin December 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I think I just fell more in love with your website. . . if that is even possible! My favorite food combo ever, in healthier form!! YES!

Question. . . Do you have to use the crispy rice cereal in the mix? I think I would prefer to make it without. . .

Thanks for such wonderful recipes that grace my table quite often!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm

It’s totally optional if you don’t want to use it! I just love the crunch it provides.
Thanks for your lovely comments about the blog!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate December 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I like these better than your traditional peanut butter balls. The coconut is such a lovely addition!

Mahealani @ Spending Time With Salad December 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Wow these look so great! I’m not the biggest peanut butter fan, long story, but I like it in little hits here and there. This seems like a great way to eat a ball (or two!) and give the rest away as a gift. Plus, coconut flour? YUM!

Brittany December 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I’m dying by how delicious these look!! I’m going to have to try these for sure!!

Pat December 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I once mixed some honey into peanut butter, and it thickened up significantly in the jar. So that would probably work here too. Though depending on your opinion of honey’s vegan-ness, that might make it not vegan.

Lo December 2, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Please check the ingredients of the natural peanut butter when you choose one! Many of them have palm oil as an ingredient. The burning of Sumatra and Borneo’s rain forest for palm oil plantations is one of the leading causes of extinction rates in that area of the world

Katrina December 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hi Angela! This may be a goofy question, but did you mix by hand or with a mixer? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Not goofy at all – I did it by hand.

Katie @ Produce on Parade December 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Ah! I am so excited! My husband is from Ohio and thus has always had Buckeyes. I know they aren’t very healthy and I’ve been wanting to try something a little more healthy. These look perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa December 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for making and sharing this recipe!!! My family grew up making traditional and highly unhealthy peanut butter balls (2-3 cups of the highly processed peanut butter, 2 cups of confectioners sugar, 1 stick of butter!! Eek!) that I haven’t made in years since I stopped eating mainstream peanut butter and butter. (Is mainstream the right word??)
Anyway! I can’t wait to make these and I won’t even feel bad letting my 15 month old son have a taste knowing all the ingredients are so pure!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health December 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm

What a brilliant idea! I’m a sucker for a healthified dessert but these honestly look way better than those filled with powdered sugar. I would have to have some self control not to devour them all!

Michelle December 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I haven’t heard of coconut flour. Is it easy to find?

leauna December 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm

What could I replace the cereal with? We dont buy cereal. If i use a cacao bar how much would u recommand?

Anna @ Fitness à la Anna December 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Peanut ‘better’ balls – instantly justified ;)

Em @ Love A Latte December 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm

These look so good! I have everything at home to make them except coconut flour. Do you have to use coconut flour or will another type of flour work? Thanks so much!

char eats greens December 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Ummm, when I get home from vacay, I’m TOTALLY making theseeeeee!!!

Jodie December 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Thank you for this! As far as other sweeteners making it thick I have had the same experience with honey and even coconut sugar!
I of course can’t say for sure they will work the same but they do make it really thick as well.
Yum!

Megan December 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I am embarassingly excited about these.

But my poor itty bitty hometown sells no coconut flour. Anyone have suggestions on where I can buy it online (at a reasonable price?) in Canada?

Michelle December 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hilariously, I was eating a peanut butter ball when I came across this post! Except mine definitely had the heaps of icing sugar added. And also a cherry in the middle. So yummy…but I’ll definitely try your version next time I make them!

Gemma December 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hi Angela,

These look delicious! Would you believe peanut butter and chocolate isn’t really a thing here in Australia?! It’s madness.

I have a question for you actually. I have recently started a blog with recipes and such but what do you do with all the food?! At the moment I have failed granola (that still trays fine so I’m not throwing it out), a slice, an overnight oats test and coffe concebtrate all in my fridge and that’s with only managing to post a couple of recipes a week!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 16, 2013 at 4:01 pm

girl say what?! I can’t wait to make these, cannot wait!

[email protected] December 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm

These look delicious and super easy to make! I love that, plus they are great for on the go snacks!

elizabeth~hippy mom December 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I just made a coconut cacao vegan cheesecake but I will be blendering me one of your green drinks plus adding shots of wheatgrass (since I bought a organic hydroponic flat) and also making this recipe I always have copious amounts of products from WF my heaven. Well off to play with and taste your balls! Happy Holidays !!!

elizabeth~hippy mom December 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Angela , By the way I love the shoot with the Christmas lights. you rock !!!

Loren December 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Gathered all the ingredients for these puppies today! Indeed, Bulk Barn has organic coconut flour – which smelled so good I wanted to dive my head into the bin! I’ll let you know how they turned out. Stocked.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast December 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm

These are beautiful! I love that you froze them for a few minutes so you could make the fancy pattern on top :)

My family makes buckeyes every year, so I love the idea of a healthier version. I’ll have to give these a try!

Katie December 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Very excited to try these. A little skeptical. The full-of-sugar-and-butter peanut butter balls are my husband’s absolute favourite!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oh my… these sound like a party! I have a habit of swirling a bunch of cinnamon into my nut butter jars (any nut butter purists would probably hate sharing with me) so I’d totally have to add that to mine, but I love your addition of cereal! This one’s going in the sweet treats file! :)

Rosalee December 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I do not like coconut at all in any form–hate the smell and taste. Can something else be used for flour and oil? Thank you!

Shelley December 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm

These sound great! Love the revised ingredient list! At what point does the rice crisp cereal come in? I didn’t see it mentioned in the step by step instructions.

Shelley December 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Never mind! I see it now! Long day, eyes tired! :)

Laura December 16, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Oh thank you! I am originally from Ohio and we call these Buckeyes. (Due to being the Buckeye state). I have not made them the last few years due to cringing at all the butter and sugar. You are a rock star for making these quite a bit healthier! Thanks again!

Meg December 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Oh my Gaga. These look AMAZING!! I’m a total fiend for anything chocolate and peanut butter! Unfortunately, I’m in Asian until March and chocolate is crazy expensive (think $8 for something equivalent to a Lindt chocolate bar!). I don’t know how I’m going to wait that long to make these!

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes December 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I’m always on a mission show people that vegan food can be delicious. For the past four years, I’ve hosted a vegan holiday party, but last year, everyone loved the non-vegan cake balls my friend brought. This year, I might make these and hope they will beat out the non-vegan cake balls! Wish me luck!

[email protected] Wooden Spoon December 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Our house is definitely a peanut butter house. Confession: I’ve never made any type of peanut butter ball, so these are definitely going to go on my list.

Julie December 16, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I just made these for a friend and it will take all my willpower not to eat them. I doubled the recipe and it worked really well. Mine certainly don’t look as pretty as yours do, but I bet they taste pretty good. I’m in the “freeze for another 10-15 minutes” stage right now!

Kate December 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm

These look so good! Might need to make them but try almond butter or cashew butter…I bet they’d be almost as good :)

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal December 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

These are so stunning. Ahhh <3

Amelia December 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Brilliant idea with the maple syrup! I am going to try these babies out tomorrow!! :)

Sherry December 16, 2013 at 11:12 pm

These look so good. Thanks for “healthifying” -if that’s even a word- yet another favorite. I made your Magical Coconut Bars yesterday for my Xmas baking platter. They turned out delicious – so much better and healthier than the original!

[email protected] December 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Oh my goodness this recipe is brilliant! I liove that you figured out how to make them without all the powdered sugar.

Caris December 17, 2013 at 2:08 am

Looks delish! Peanut butter + chocolate = pure bliss! Thank you for sharing your recipe :)

Lauren Cosgrave December 17, 2013 at 2:41 am

Thanks for the great christmas treat recipe. I will be making these soon! How did you get such a beautiful background in your photo? Is that your christmas tree?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2013 at 8:35 am

It’s some lights I have on some branches :)

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen December 17, 2013 at 7:06 am

I was looking for a dessert recipe to bring to a potluck on Friday, and I think this just may be it (but with soy nut butter instead of PB)! I was also eying your lightened up magical coconut bars though… decisions, decisions. ;)

Nicola December 17, 2013 at 7:40 am

Made these today and used agave instead of maple syrup and it thickened up nicely. I was looking for a peanut butter recipe to make for my Grandad for Christmas and this is definitely the one! Thanks Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

So glad it worked for you! Thanks for letting us know.

Jodie December 17, 2013 at 8:06 am

These look awesome . Which brand of coconut oil do you use?

Leigh December 17, 2013 at 9:01 am

When do you add the crispy rice?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2013 at 9:32 am

end of step #2

Jana December 17, 2013 at 9:56 am

Like another person said, it must be fate. I have had a package of Bob’s coconut flour in the pantry for a while and haven’t even opened it. Today I will. I don’t have the “right” kind of chocolate, but I have other chocolate… and now I have plans for today.

Sarah S. December 17, 2013 at 11:14 am

This seems much better and tastier than the original idea! Who doesn’t love maple?

Justin December 17, 2013 at 11:29 am

I was thinking of using almond flour instead of coconut flour in this recipe. Any idea how this would react?

Amy December 17, 2013 at 11:51 am

I made these last night for an office “treat exchange”. Yours is the only blog I trust enough to immediately make a recipe for an event without a trial run. Your recipes always turn out great the first time! This was easy, quick and delicious.

Krystal December 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Would I be able to make my own coconut flour by finely grinding shredded coconut in a coffee grinder/food processor?

Anna December 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I believe that would make coconut butter

Amelia December 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Angela, Just wanted you let you know that I made these this morning (with a few substitutions) and wanted to report back what worked for me, in case anyone else was looking for a swap.
– I used 3 medjool dates in place of the maple syrup (stuck the dates in the food processor with peanut butter and pulsed away.) It seized up like syrup does.
– In place of the coconut flour (my husband is not a fan), I used finely ground salted peanuts (almost flour consistency). I also added two more tablespoons of crispy rice cereal.
The ‘dough’ came out perfect, just like a normal buckeye would. Not greasy, sticky, or too dry. Perfect to roll between the palms of your hands.
I also tempered my chocolate (same brand of chocolate chips) instead of adding in coconut oil. I used the method via David Lebovitz’s website. The chocolate set up beautifully around the little balls in about 30 minutes at room temp, so no need to freeze/refrigerate. :) Thanks for your awesome recipes, inspiration, and beautiful photography. (And sorry to hear about your tree mishap on Instagram. :( )

Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Ehrmagherd, buckeyes! (That’s what I grew up calling them, at least.) I loooove these, but I’ve been avoiding them due to the usually prodigious amounts of butter and sugar — so to say the least, I’m pretty effing thrilled that you’ve created a health-ified version of one of my all-time faves. :)

Emily @ don't miss dairy December 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

These look amazing, and I can’t wait to try them! I love the Christmas lights in the background of the photos!

silvia December 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm

so delicious!! that sounds nothing compared to your sweet peanut balls!

[email protected] December 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Oh my. New family tradition alert!

Jody December 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I just made these and had to comment how delicious they are! I love buckeyes and a local cafe makes a vegan version that is delicious but I love knowing these are a healthier version.
And for the people that don’t like coconut, neither does my fiance and he didn’t even notice there was anything coconut related in these! Yummm

Liette December 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm

OMG Angela, I made these tonight… maybe I should have waited closer to Christmas… not sure how I will make them last that long. I stored them in my garage freezer hope that helps :). thanks for the awesome recipe and so easy to make, unbelievable.

elizabeth~hippy mom December 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hey there you Angela, well idea I wonder if there is some kind of natural vegan food dye, how festive that would be incorporated into some of your desert recipes maybe some red and green colors to give it pop! have no clue what im babbling but if it reaches you then I hope you no all feedback I give should be received with good intent. Happy Holidays. I turn 34 tomorrow, im still young!!!

Stacie December 17, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Oh my…these were seriously SO yummy :)

Jacqui December 17, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Perfect timing! I too grew up eating buckeyes and have missed them so much. I was just contemplating making buckeyes with vegan butter and the gf Rice Krispies but I will make these instead! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe!

Stefanie December 18, 2013 at 2:25 am

Wow! These look so delicious, healthy, and simple… I may have to add one more thing to my Christmas baking list!

monique December 18, 2013 at 2:51 am

I made these today with the intent of taking them to my office holiday party tomorrow. I do hope they make it – we’ll see. They are so very yummy!

Angela, have you tried Crio Brü? It’s roasted cocoa beans, ground and brewed like coffee. I do mine in my French press with a peppermint tea bag, some almond milk, and a tiny bit of coconut oil. Crazy delicious. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I really like the beverage and thought you would enjoy it as well. Consider this my Christmas present to lovely you.

alishadhi December 18, 2013 at 5:11 am

I am going to make it for my mom…Thanks …

Renee Roush December 18, 2013 at 6:51 am

Oh my gosh! my mother in law brought peanut butter balls to our house at thanksgiving and it was NOT GOOD FOR MY WAISTLINE. I will not put in writing how many I ate… I cannot wait to make these! Today or tomorrow! Will report back!!

Elyse @ Lizzie Fit December 18, 2013 at 7:34 am

You just read my mind… I’ve been researching for the perfect vegan pb ball recipe all week and right before I am heading out to get my ingredients I decide to read a few blogs… You never let me down ;)

Lorissa December 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

I made these yesterday and they were really tasty. The peanut butter part was a bit dry (disappointing!) and I think it was because my peanut butter was a bit on the dry side. I’ll definitely make these again and make sure the peanut butter part is not so dry. Thanks for these, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Hey Lorissa, Yes the consistency of the PB can drastically effect the outcome. Mine was quite drippy. Did you use all-natural PB? If your PB seems very thick and dry you might even be able to get away with skipping the coconut flour all together. Hope you have better results next time! Enjoy :)

Lorissa December 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

I actually used two different kinds of peanut butter. Both were organic and the only ingredients were peanuts. One was drippy and the other was very dry. I knew as I was mixing that it was too dry and I should have omitted the flour, but never having made the recipe before, I wanted to follow it exactly. Anyway, they’re delicious and now I know for next time. Thanks again!

Becky W December 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

made these last night. Easy to make and turned out fabulous!!! Thanks!

Rachel December 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Just so everyone knows, this WILL work the same with no-stir peanut butter. Normally I prefer the just-peanuts stuff, but I picked up a jar by accident at the store and thought, what the heck. After a good mix, it looked just the same as in your pictures above. Thanks for posting this yummy, simple treat! I have a batch chilling right now that my gluten-free friends will love this holiday season. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

So glad it worked out for you! Thanks for letting us know. :)

Linda December 18, 2013 at 2:28 pm

It’s a pity your Rafflecopter giveaway is only available for people who participate in social media. Those of us who avoid Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook are left out. And I can’t even post my comment on that blog post, because no comments are accepted.

Baimochs December 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Loved making these!!! Super easy! I found the fork idea didn’t work very well for spreading the chocolate at the end. So I poured the chocolate into a ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the tip. It drizzled the chocolate a lot better! Can’t wait for them to get out of the freezer!!

Johanna December 19, 2013 at 5:32 am

Okay, I made them, and they ARE delicious (despite forgetting the salt). I must have made them bigger then yours, because a double batch yielded about 28. Hehe…I can’t wait to bring them to work.

Honey December 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Yum! I’ve noticed the same thickening effect when using liquid coconut nectar in some recipes, so I’ll give that a try (here in Malaysia coconut blossom sugar is waaaaay cheaper than maple syrup). When I make peanut butter balls or cups I add in some ground flax to thicken it. I like the mealy texture, it reminds me of Reese’s cups. I’ll give coconut flour a try too!

Siena December 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

These are heavenly! Total crowd pleaser and definite A+!!!

Lina December 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm

These look amazing! Coincidentally, I’m currently in my kitchen surveying a total truffle-chocolate-dipping mess — that’s of course not necessarily a bad thing, but I’m trying to figure out how to be a bit more efficient (and get more chocolate on the truffles and less on the counter =P).

Do you have any tips on how to dip truffles with the least waste of chocolate?

Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) December 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

I’ve just made these to take home for Christmas, they are amazing!!

Ti December 20, 2013 at 7:13 am

It is not terribly helpful to see “Gosh, oh golly. This sounds delicious” comments!! Not at all helpful. A suggestion to comment when recipe has actually been completed and tasted would actually be helpful to a person who would like to try the recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013 at 10:17 am

If you’d like to see the recipe reviews, go to the last page of the comments. Those are most recent. Hope this helps!

Natalie December 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

I love your recipes and I think you are a magician! You inspire me to be creative and love cooking healthy food! Plus, you’re pictures are gorgeous! I can’t wait to make these peanut butter balls! Do you happen to know the calorie count on these?:)

Anoushe December 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hi Angela! I absolutely adore your blog and have been searching for a recipe to make for Christmas. I think this might be it, as I found some coconut flour at our organic store (which is generally badly stocked) and thought: it’s a miracle, it’s a sign!! Now I was wondering, is it possible to leave out the cereal? Or substitute it with oats? Zurich is still new to gluten free lifestyles and does not provide as many things as America has :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Yes you can certainly leave out the cereal – totally optional. I’m not sure about adding oats. I guess that depends on whether you like raw oats or not! Enjoy :)

Carrie December 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I just made these today! They are delicious. I had one mishap though – I had rolled all the little balls and was ready to dip them in chocolate, when I realized I had forgotten to add the cereal! So, I dumped all the balls back in the bowl and stirred it up and added the cereal and made all the balls again. Whew! They are still wonderful!

Stacey December 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Made these with my 3-year-old this morning. We sampled just 1 since we are freezing the rest for Christmas. So, so, so good! We both loved them. (And let’s be honest, I may have to sample another since we have a few more days to go until we celebrate!)

Jana December 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I made these this morning. Very good. Thanks for the treat that I don’t have to feel too guilty indulging in.

Melissa December 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I made these tonight, used honey instead of maple syrup because peanut butter and honey is one of my all time favorite combos. The texture of these is AMAZING, and I love that they aren’t super sweet like other peanut butter chocolate recipes (3 cups powdered sugar?!)! My 4 year old son sampled one tonight and said “YUM, can I have some of these with my dinner?!”! Thank you so much!

Amy December 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Made these yesterday. AMAZING! Followed the recipe perfectly except for using honey instead of maple syrup (not vegan I know…). Any who, amazingly delicious. Thanks OSG!

Kanishka deSilva December 20, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Hello Angela,
I made this today and it came out OK. But the mixture was too dry and crumbly. I use organic peanut butter from the bulk section (where you grind your own). It was nice and thick. Maybe it didn’t need and coconut flour. As you mention in the recipe, it firmed up well after mixing with the maple syrup. I was contemplating whether to add the flour as it was already firm.
Thanks,
ps. The Kale salad that you posted during thanksgiving was a hit at my friends Thanksgiving Dinner. That was the only dish that cleaned out!

Lisa December 21, 2013 at 7:41 am

OMG! These are heavenly. These will now become an annual Christmas treat.

Lorissa December 21, 2013 at 8:11 am

My husband took a few of these delicious balls into work and decided to enter them into their (very informal) Christmas Party Bake-Off and won first prize! Ha! Now he’s been requested to bring in more for everyone to try! Ha! Thanks so much for this yummy treat!

Lorissa December 21, 2013 at 9:12 am

P.S. I made some that were big and some that were small and I liked the smaller ones. The peanut butter to chocolate ratio was more to my taste. Just something to consider. :)

Sheena December 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Made these last night, so delicious! Thank you!

Krista December 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Since I was a kid, we’ve always made chocolate peanut butter squares with crispy rice cereal, topped with chocolate – and recently it’s been my one concession to powdered sugar because I couldn’t think of a way to get the same effect with healthier sweeteners. I think you’ve done it! I’m going to try making this recipe into bars today. :)

Paula December 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

WOW, made these and they tasted even better than the traditional sugar, butter-laden recipe!! My peanut butter was not very runny so used 1 TBSP of almond flour. Also, used Suzanne’s Organic Maple Rice Nectar instead of maple syrup. Thank you for this amazing and improved recipe makeover. Happy holidays, Angela!

Tamara December 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

OMG, I have been trying to make a spin on reece’s for Christmas for my awesome Husband and have failed miserably…I just made these, and they are AMAZING. You saved the day again!!!

Elizabeth December 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I made these tonight, but substituted semi-sweet (Enjoy Life) because that is what I had on hand. All I can say is YUM! These are amazing! Thank you, Angela. Another winner to give to my carnivorous family.

Tisha December 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Just made these…they are so simple and absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Tammy December 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I just made these, they are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! They remind me of the PB balls my husband’s aunt always gifted to us during the holidays when she was alive. Thank you SO much for the delish alternative and I adore the subtle coconut flavor.

BTW, I substituted coconut nectar for the maple syrup and it worked perfectly :)

Yolanda December 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Tried these today with carob instead of chocolate. They were wonderful!!

erin December 22, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I made these this weekend and they were a huge hit! Just to let you know since you mentioned not knowing if another kind of PB would work, I used Jif Natural PB which has minimal ingredients, but isn’t only peanuts. They turned out just fine and were quickly devoured!!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast December 23, 2013 at 1:32 am

My family and I made these today during our annual cookie baking extravaganza. We make buckeyes every year, but decided to try to make them a bit less naughty this time around by using your recipe. My sister and I were FLOORED by how delicious these were. They seriously taste better than the full-sugar version. Amazing recipe, and so easy! Awesome job!

Larissa December 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Would it work to use regular flour in place of coconut?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Larissa, I think someone commented saying oat flour worked for them. I haven’t tried anything else myself though.

cheryl December 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

i like this very much healthier version using organic ingredients, maple syrup from local producers to sweeten, coconut oil and flour, mineral rich sea salt and good dark chocolate. i use Scharfen Burger 70% and love Bob’s Red Mill. i want to try these with some local honey in place of part of some maple syrup, sweet rice flour, maybe roll them in something crunchy like chopped toasted pepitas? yummy!

cheryl December 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

… or an almond version with almond butter and flour and rolled in chopped toasted almonds or crushed up salted maple almond toffee? that is candy packed with REAL health benefits! i can get behind that. lol! now i wonder… when i can crank out a batch? possibly for New Year’s. thanks for the inspiration, Martha!

Elizabeth December 24, 2013 at 8:08 am

I whipped up a half batch of these this morning (I only had half a cup of organic peanut butter left!) and oh my, we are in love with them! I replaced coconut flour with ground almonds (that’s all I had) and used agave syrup, but what a success! Thank you for a lovely recipe. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Amy December 24, 2013 at 9:48 am

The syrup really worked its magic in thickening up the p.b., however the coconut flour left a gritty texture, which in my opinion made them taste terrible! Next time if I ever do try again I will run my flour through my blender first. Hope this might help someone else from making the same mistake as I made!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hi Amy, Sorry to hear that about the texture! Just curious – did you make the flour yourself or use a certain brand? I’ve found the brand I use (Mums original) is very finely ground and not noticeable. Hope your next trial goes better!

Jesse December 24, 2013 at 3:37 pm

These are amazing! I made them in 15 minutes flat and you weren’t kidding when you said if you can wait to eat them until they’ve set up in the freezer you win life! Another winning recipe – can’t wait for the book to come out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

haha glad I’m not the only one who can’t wait that long! Thanks for your kind words!

ashley December 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I have been making something similar to this only I use sun warrior warrior blend vanilla protein instead of coconut flour, and coconut nectar instead of maple syrup. I don’t usually cover them in chocolate (and i have to sub carob because i’m breastfeeding) but I mix in carob chips so they’re like cookie dough protein balls…. so good ! I use the food processor to make them.

also– I think that maple syrup + pb probably thickens up like that because it’s adding something acidic to something creamy, like how you can add ACV to soy milk to make an egg replacer, or when you add lemon juice to tahini to make dressing it gets really thick- same concept :)

Andrea Dolida December 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

YUM! I also know these as Buckeyes and they have always been my favorite. I made this recipe using just one tablespoon of AP flour and it came together great. I didn’t have the cereal, so I left it out. These are really good! Even my husband likes them and he usually hates anything I try to make healthier. I highly recommend them!

Aleks December 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Made these yesterday, they were a hit! I omitted the flour completely and added more maple syrup and used ancient grains granola (cascadian farms brand) for the cereal, adding more than 6 tbsp for extra crunch. They were so good I’ll definitely be making more this weekend!! Thanks for this recipe!

Yuna December 30, 2013 at 12:34 am

Angela, I absolutely love your blog! It’s beautiful! And your recipes are amazing!

Nic James December 31, 2013 at 5:13 pm

A little sea salt on them before they are cooled off really makes them pop. I also used almond butter and they we very delicious!

Linda January 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm

My boyfriend made these for me yesterday, and they’re absolutely fabulous! I’ve nearly eaten them all already! Instead of of coating them in chocolate, he used homemade chocolate. Thank you for a great recipe, one I can enjoy without any itchies/other allergic reactions :)!

Charity January 5, 2014 at 2:15 am

I made these for my son’s birthday, and everyone loved them. To make them even healthier, I used peanut flour with a splash of molasses and water, instead of oily peanut butter, and they were perfect. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

Abbey P. January 10, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Yummm these are AWESOME! I made them without the rice cereal, and they turned out great. I also made them much smaller than Angela, so I had to use a bit more chocolate chips to cover all of them. Really fun recipe!

TheGreatZambini January 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm

You can’t fool me, these are buckeyes! Yum. I’m in a lazy mood, so the no bake version is perfect. And it sounds like it’s secretly healthy or something if you call it raw. Yay! I’m ready to eat now :)

Jillian January 25, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’m addicted to these!! I’ve made 2 batches already, they’re the perfect snack to have in my freezer. I love your blog, make at least one of your recipes a week and can’t wait for your book to arrive!

Erin January 28, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Do these need to be kept in the refrigerator or freezer after the initial freezing? or can they sit out?

Gayle February 3, 2014 at 8:11 am

These were a winner for our family Super Bowl party. Not overly sweet and the crispy cerial gave it a lighter feel. Your website is definitely my go-to place when I want to try new recipes that don’t disappoint. Thanks :)

Chelsey February 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I did try these with all natural almond butter and honey! A little change for the ones who want to try this. I had to add more coconut flour. I don’t know the exact amount. I also put my almond butter balls in the freezer for about 10 minutes before dipping them in the chocolate to help harden them and keep them together. They taste fabulous!

Victoria February 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

We just made these. We substituted peanut butter for almond butter (1 cup) and maple syrup for agave nectar (2 tbs). It worked perfectly! Thank you so much! They are divine!

Moreen Murray February 12, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Made these today – super yummy and yes, hard to resist eating before they are finished! I mixed in some almond and cashew butter with the peanut butter. Thanks for the recipe!

Mel February 13, 2014 at 6:09 am

Was out of the rice cereal; subbed oatmeal. Still super yummy! The kids said they taste like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!

kristin February 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I am newly transitioning to vegan and your blog is so helpful. Especially for things like this when I want an old classic but don’t know what the vegan substitute could be. Thank you!!!!

Sonja February 14, 2014 at 12:01 am

You are a vegan genius! Everything about these are heaven. I followed the recipe to a T and actually doubled the batch. My non-vegan family devoured them and was none the wiser. Once they were gone, I told them I used ground peanuts (no sugar) and no powdered sugar. They were amazed!! Thank you for all of your recipes…its a keeper!

Stephen February 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I just made this recipe. I used 85% Cocoa dark chocolate without the coconut oil.
I had the chocolate over my face, all over the kitchen cabinets, and over the floor but I managed to make 15 of these treats – one for the Chef :) Absolutely delicious! Thanks for this recipe.

By the way, great site for two relatively new Vegans.

Erin February 14, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Yet another delicious recipe from you! These are so good and so easy, and of course, healthier than their traditional alternative. Thanks again!

Michelle February 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Made these yesterday and the whole batch disappeared in less than 3 hours. My family is already asking me to make them again!! Fantastic recipe!

Amara February 27, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I made these for Valentine’s Day and was blown away at how they tasted exactly like the chocolate covered peanut butter Easter eggs my Nana used to make. Tried to veganize her recipe a few years ago with little success but these were spot on! So pleased to share this recipe with my family and make some eggs at Easter time!

Also altered half of the batch by adding crumbled vegan oreo style cookies. Oh. My. Yum. Definitely takes them out of the “better” category, but those were to die for.

Karolina March 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Wonderful!

Mary March 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Could anyone taste the maple syrup? How about the coconut?

Not a fan of either, so I just want to purely taste the chocolate and peanut butter :).

Susan March 10, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi Angela:

I made a half batch of these on the weekend and they were unbelievable!! Better than the pre-made peanutbutter cups that are available for purchase :) I am surprised that I didn’t eat them all in one sitting they were so delicious!!

If you can believe it, I did find them a bit sweet and am planning to make them again but without adding the maple syrup.

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures and tasty recipes – love the blog and your book!
Susan

sacha March 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

My family LOVED these!! The first time i made them i did exactly like you said, the next time i changed it a little. I subbed the 6 Tbsp of rice cereal with 3 Tbsp Oats and 3 Tbsp Chia. It was so yummy as well! I love your website, and usually turn to you for help on what to make for meals!

Marti March 30, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I have so enjoyed your enthusiasm and creativity as you encourage all of us in healthy eating options!! Congratulations on your book and expected little addition to your family!! We used to made peanut butter bars for our now grown 5 kids and I added Raw, Brown, Sesame Seeds to the peanut butter mixture for a bit of crunchy texture, probably similar to the rice crisp cereal. I had to try your recipe for old time sake, yummy! Thanks for the memories!!

Tara April 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I just made a double batch of these today (for a party) and they are fabulous! I can’t wait for my guests to try them! I made some modifications that worked very well too… I used smooth sunflower seed butter–which was pretty runny to begin with, and already had a little salt and sugar added— so I only needed about half of the maple syrup and coconut flour your recipe called for, to get the right consistency. Right before I set them in the freezer, I sprinkled a few grains of medium-coarse sea salt over the tops, which is a wonderful combo with the dark chocolate! Thank you for sharing!!

Suzanne Wenzel April 17, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Angela- I just made these today for the first time and we all love them!!! Thanks so much for the recipe- you’re right- you can’t tell that they don’t have all of the sugar of traditional P.B. balls.

Micki April 18, 2014 at 10:44 am

I never leave comments but I made these and they were AMAZING! They contain wonderful ingredients and are a lot better than any store bought vegan junk. Even my parents enjoyed them and they kind of hate everything vegan or semi healthy. Thank you for this wonderful, delicious recipe!

Victoria R. April 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I just made these – delicious! And I don’t feel so guilty.

I didn’t have any coconut flour on hand so I just mixed in flax powder. Still seemed to work just fine for me. Thank you for another great treat!

Jennifer April 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My three kids love this recipe! Adding the maple syrup to thicken up the peanut butter is genius. Thanks so much.

Steph @ Steph Cook Wellness April 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Peanut butter and I have been on a break recently…I can’t imagine that will last long now that I’ve found this! Holy yum. Can’t wait to try these!

Helena May 1, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Do you know the nutrition info on this? I am wondering if these would be a good option for fattening up my underweight boy.

Emilie May 12, 2014 at 7:27 am

I just made these and they were AMAZING I had to brush my teeth to restrain myself from eating them all right now! Haha Thankyou!

Lovestofly May 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm

These are in the freizwr there now. Some preliminary comments:

1. Picking them up with a fork to dip into the chocolate did not work. The fork broke them apart. I found what worked instead was simply dropping them into the chocolate, using a spoon to roll them around, and then lifting them with the spoon onto the plane.

Two. The amount of chocolate chips and coconut butter recommended could not make enough chocolate sauce to dip the balls into. I don’t know, maybe I need a super small pot. Anyway, what I did instead was drop the balls into the pot, and then roll them around to pick up the sauce.

3.because they were so messy looking when I was done, I did not bother with the drizzling… It would not even show! Instead what I did was I scraped the peanut butter mixture off the bowl, mixed it into the leftover chocolate and are it off the spoon. If this is anything like the balls will taste, I am happy indeed!

Shannon October 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Same thing happened to me, except I had enough chocolate with some leftover to dip bananas in and freeze.

Your way sounds smarter than mine re: the fork didn’t work. I just picked them up and rolled them around with my hands- definitely will try the spoon next time!!

Connie May 21, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Yummy! I followed this recipe almost exactly. Wasn’t sure if the rice cereal was gluten free, so I did substitute chopped peanuts for the cereal and used rice flour instead of the coconut flour. Didn’t think 1 cup of peanut butter would be enough for 16 balls, but it amazingly was. Served it for dessert and everyone loved them! I will need to make these weekly. It’s a nice chocolate treat to satisfy anyones sweet tooth craving.

Elora Tarlo May 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Where does the cereal come in???

Beth @ Eat Within Your Means May 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Hi Angela! I made these a while ago and loved them, and in the process got a hairbrained idea to swap out some of the peanut butter for chickpeas. To my surprise, it was a huge hit! I tweaked the filling a little more and recently made mini peanut butter cups and posted about it this week. I credited you as the inspiration for the recipe, so thank you! :) Hope all is going well in your pregnancy, so exciting!

hannah July 3, 2014 at 1:19 pm

How long do these keep for? and do you keep them in the fridge or freezer
Thanks!1

karoline July 12, 2014 at 11:08 am

Hello Angela,
I mixed some amaranth pops into the chocolate coating because I didn’t have rice crisps at home. Turned out very nice and crispy.
My boyfriend doesn’t like peanut butter, so today I will replace it with hazelnut butter. I hope that will work out just as good as the peanut version.

I discovered your blog a few months ago and it became my favorite vegan food blog.
Thank you for all the fantastic recipes on the blog and in your book.
Best regards from Germany,
karoline

Julie July 27, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I made the Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites from Oh She Glows today. They are delicious! I’m always so busy so I doubled the batch so that we can just grab a few whenever. I love that they are a “no-bake” dessert too! I’m making these Peanut Butter Balls tomorrow. My sister-in-law always makes the regular version at Christmas, but there’s so much sugar in them. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipes.

Jenny P. July 28, 2014 at 12:19 am

These were great, and a very versatile recipe. I substituted almost every ingredient and they still came out great. I used what I had around, so regular no-mix (crunchy) PB, fake maple syrup, garbanzo bean flour, and cocoa krispies. I think it would have been better with regular rather than crunchy PB, but the difference was minor. I’ll definitely make these again!

Rosie August 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm
Recipe Rating:

Whoever first put peanut butter and chocolate together, was an absolute genius! I just made these using mostly peanut butter and 1/4 cup almond butter. Also, I didn’t have any coconut flour, so I used almond meal/flour and it worked great! Perfect texture for rolling and they taste amazing!

Marta August 23, 2014 at 12:29 am
Recipe Rating:

It adheres to my teeth so much, but tastes not bad

Rachel August 26, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

These are absolutely amazing! I followed the recipe exactly, and they came out perfect. Next time I’m going to throw a little shredded coconut and crushed almonds in the chocolate before I dip the balls and see how that does. My husband is not a fan of sweets, but he was obsessed with these. I will be using this recipe all the time!

kay August 30, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made these today,turned out pretty good. i had to place my peanut butter mixture in the fridge for a few minutes so that i could roll them into balls.That worked great. tastes good!

Rachel September 2, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi! Is there any othe kind of cereal you tried or a substitution for it? Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2014 at 8:08 am

Anything crunchy would probably be ok. You could even use cereal flakes (like bran) – I would crunch them up in a plastic baggie and maybe add half the amount so it isn’t too dense.

jeni September 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made these over and over again, and they’re always a hit. I’ve used slightly different variations based on the ingredients I have or haven’t had on hand, and they’re always great and make everyone swoon. So simple, so perfect. Five stars, without a shadow of a doubt.

Mittmah October 25, 2014 at 11:27 am

I just made these for my niece’s Halloween party today !! In the freezer right now !! Thanks for the recipe.

Lisa DeLeo October 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm

AMAZING! This recipe made me look like a total CULINARY DIVA! Thank you so much. Delicious, easy and gorgeous. What could be better?

I used “old fashioned” peanut butter from the big box grocery store and didn’t need the flour.

The hardest part was not eating them all before the company arrived.

I’ll be back!

Shannon October 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Recipe Rating:

As a gluten free/vegan college student, THESE ARE FANTASTIC. The no-bake makes them perfect for dorms, and they’re a delicious treat when it’s so hard to find good GF/V desserts. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, except I microwaved the chocolate and I substituted coconut oil with Earth Balance, and it was incredible and worked just the same.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. These were always my favorite treats as a kid, and now I can eat them again on my new diet restrictions!

Yolanda October 28, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

These are awesome!! I have made them several times with carob chips instead of chocolate. Nom nom

Tracy October 30, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Recipe Rating:

Fabulous!!! I made them with honey. Ended up not needing much coconut flour. Yum yum yum! Aren’t you clever how you figured out a consistency for the insides. I’ve made them for neighborhood kids for Halloween. Thank you!

Carina November 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm

These turned out amazing! My husband loves Reese’s and I’ve managed to wean him off, thanks to you. Your recipes are so simple and yummy; I’m hooked!

Annaliese November 11, 2014 at 8:37 am
Recipe Rating:

Just made these….and they are wonderful :) I added a bit of freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon to the filling, and also added a sprinkling of sea salt on the tops before the chocolate cooled. Delicious! Will be making these again for the holidays…what a great use for the rando-bag of coconut flour in my pantry!

Kelly December 5, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

Flawless recipe! Just made a triple batch for a tree-trimming party at a vegan friend’s house tomorrow. Fancied some of them up with toasted coconut garnish, others with fancy sea salt, and a few with hot smoked paprika. Be gone, powdered sugar!

Lane Ngo December 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Recipe Rating:

I really wanted to love these, but I feel like something is missing in this recipe. Perhaps it was the texture and not enough sweetener. Maybe I should stick to healthy savory dishes. I’m glad others had better success than I did.

Briana December 15, 2014 at 8:18 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight w/almond butter. They were really good! What did you use to make the chocolate swirl design? I tried drizzling with a spoon and it didn’t come out as neat.

Melissa December 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I was wondering if I could use regular whole wheat flour instead of coconut flour, just because I can’t find any at my store for a good price and I’m not gluten-free anyway. Would that change the taste too much or does anyone think that would work fine?

Stephanie December 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Recipe Rating:

I didn’t have ‘true’ coconut flour. I had bulk shredded coconut flakes that I threw in the old Magic Bullet for a few seconds and voila. Used that and it worked just fine.

Christie willms December 19, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Just made this little delights! I subbed agave syrup for the maple syrup (tablespoon for tablespoon) and spelt flour for the coconut flour. I had to use about 3.5 tbsp of the spelt flour, but they worked out! Yay

Amy B. December 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made these! I think I ate half the PB mixture before they made it to the freezer. I am being completely honest when I say I like these better than the original. Thanks for the recipe and happy holidays!

Christin December 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made these twice so far and I’m making them a third time this weekend for my family Christmas party! I’m sure you can tell by now how much I love them. YUM!!!

Camelia December 23, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Hi, do you have any idea what could be used instead of the rice crisp cereals? We don’t have anything like that around here, I don’t even know how they’re supposed to look like and taste.
Thanks, Camelia

Mindy January 9, 2015 at 9:58 am
Recipe Rating:

I made these following the recipe exactly and took them to a work brunch. They were the first dessert gone, everybody loved them. I shouldn’t have told my husband there might be leftovers for him!

Rebecca January 11, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just made these with regular all purpose flour and they turned out great! I used two TBSP. May have needed a smaller pot for the chocolate, however, as there really wasn’t enough for dipping. I was able to use a spoon and drizzle it on little by little.

Laura January 13, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just have to say I love this recipe and use it often!
Such an attractive looking dessert to bring along or serve guests, quick to prepare and SO delicious! I make mamy of your recipes very often and this is in the top 10!

Lizzie January 20, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Recipe Rating:

These are some of my absolute FAVORITE clean treats. I don’t have coconut flour so I use oat flour. You can also do these as bars – it’s not as messy and you don’t waste any of the chocolate. ;-)

Chloe de Nazelle January 24, 2015 at 5:46 am

Hi there, I’m about to make these! Do they freeze well? :)

Quinn February 10, 2015 at 12:21 pm

These look amazing! Definitely want to try for Valentine’s Day!

Heather February 10, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Hi Angela,

I adore your book and your website – thanks so much for all of the great recipes! For the coconut flour, can you blend shredded, unsweetened coconut in a VitaMix, or would that make more of a purée?

Thanks,
Heather

Ari February 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Yay!!! I used to gobble these as a child! So excited to try a healthier version I haven’t had these in years!

Sarah Nichols February 10, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I think i missed the part in the instructions where I am to add the rice cereal. Help?!

Sarah Nichols February 10, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Nevermind… Long day ;(

Michael February 10, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Have made these several times. So addicting, the trick is to not eat them all at once!! My wife and I love your book too! Everything we have made out of it has been delicious. Thank you!

Kara February 10, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Can you substitute almond butter

Daisy February 10, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Do you think you can substitute the maple syrup for honey ?

Frances May 16, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I used Greek honey which worked great. And I also added a bit more coconut flour to the mix and put the rolled balls in the freezer before coating them in chcoclate so that it was easier to work with.

Rachael Rowsell February 10, 2015 at 11:51 pm

They are decadent. I have made the PNB Balls and they turned out amazing for Valentine’s on Saturday Feb 14th and I can’t wait to show them off to my husband. I mailed a small package of the pnb balls to my daughter who lives in Collingwood and she called to tell me they are soooooo good. She is my inspiration when it comes to cooking vegan. I can’t wait to try more recipes in the cookbook.

Sue M. February 11, 2015 at 8:53 am
Recipe Rating:

In addition to the detox tabbouleh, we made these yesterday. Also awesome! I love the crunch of the GF rice crispies in the peanut butter, and you were right, it starts out runny and gets thicker after mixing with maple syrup. Weird! We didn’t have any dark chocolate, so I just melted some Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chips. Perfect! Thank you for sharing!

Marie February 12, 2015 at 11:43 am

do we keep the balls in the freezer?

Jennifer C. February 13, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

Loved these! I tried using organic puffed quinoa instead of the rice crisp cereal, and they turned out perfect! :)

Danielle February 15, 2015 at 9:42 am

These look delish :) Is there another option other than coconut flour?

Heidi February 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I have four young children so making these into peanut butter balls AND dipping them into chocolate was sometimes a challenge so I have finally figured out I could doubl the recipe, put it in a 9 x 13 pan and then just put the chocolate over-the-top and let set- fabulous! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen February 17, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Yum! These sound absolutely wonderful!

k March 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Recipe Rating:

These have been getting me through late afternoon, late evening chocolate cravings this winter.
Made them again and I have to say it’s one of the simplest, yet most satisfying sweet treats!

Thanks!

Swapna April 17, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for the recipe! What would you recommend doing in terms of making these a day before they are to be served? Do they freeze well and how long do they take to thaw?

Nikki @ Tikkido May 5, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Ooh, I love the idea of substituting with coconut flour! I’ll have to give that a try with my favorite childhood recipe. It didn’t use powdered sugar, but used powdered milk and wheat germ.

Katie May 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

I just made these last week with sun butter instead of peanut butter (nut allergies). Worked great!

Frances May 16, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night and they turned out awesome! I used Greek honey (which is thicker than regular honey) instead and it worked just fine. After rolling them into balls, I found that putting them into the freezer to firm up before coating them in chocolate made them much easier to work with. Another great recipe, thanks Angela!

Alisha May 21, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

Amazing! I will make these again :)

Gabby May 30, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Hi Angela! : )

I know you wrote this a few years back, but I wanted you to know that I just made a double batch of these this morning, and they turned out wonderfully! I really wanted a low sugar buckeye recipe, so I was happy to try this one. My husband and I were happy to taste the peanut butter, since often the high sugar recipes taste more of butter and sugar than peanut : ) I also love how few dishes this takes, since we don’t have a dishwasher. (I measured the 2 cups peanut butter directly into my 4 cup measuring pyrex)

Anyway, thanks a bunch, and if you’re still writing, then keep it up!
-Gabby

Betty June 7, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Recipe Rating:

I loved this recipe. I was missing some ingredients so I added chocolate flavored protein powder and cocoa powder instead of coconut flour and added toasted coconut flakes and chopped pecans instead of the rice crispies. It came out just great. I froze them and they hardened and had the texture of a chocolate truffle. Putting the cocoa powder in saved me the time to dip them in chocolate. Next time I’ll be sure to get the missing ingredients and try the original recipe. Thanks for a great healthy recipe, can’t wait to try some of your others.

Jenny August 25, 2015 at 1:24 pm
Recipe Rating:

I know I’m late in the game here, but I made this recipe yesterday and it was amazing!! So easy to make and insanely delicious!

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats October 18, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I can’t get over how healthy this recipe is, such a great idea to use coconut flour! These sound delicious, anything with PB and Chocolate is… I love the name of these too! So clever! :) hehe

Lindsey October 23, 2015 at 8:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight without crispies (I like smooth peanut butter balls) and chocolate out of maple, cocoa powder, and coconut oil since I didn’t have vegan chips. The batter is like eating Reese’s filling! So good.

Cheyenne November 25, 2015 at 7:51 pm

How disappointing that I found this recipe via your oil-free recipes tag, yet lo and behold, oil is one of the ingredients. :(

Jana December 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm

These were a super big hit, simple and delicious

Liz December 17, 2015 at 10:13 am
Recipe Rating:

Loved this recipe! Going to make another batch to take home this Christmas. I’m wanting to add bourbon or whiskey. Other recipes add they bourbon to the peanut butter mixture. Do you think this would be best, instead of adding it to the chocolate?

cate December 19, 2015 at 3:28 am
Recipe Rating:

These tasted amazing! Biggest problem is that they were too runny to stick a fork in an dip and instead i rolled them in the chocolate and ended up with ugly blobs with chocolate pooled on the bottom. Is there a way to make the chocolate thinner to make dipping easier? Also I used 2.5 tablespoons of coconut flour, should I have used more?

Rach December 23, 2015 at 9:20 pm

At what point do you add the rice cereal? Did that step get skipped in directions?

Rach December 23, 2015 at 9:27 pm

NM! I see it!

Susan December 29, 2015 at 10:36 pm

As a child we would make chocolate covered peanut butter balls, we called them buckeyes. They were a favorite of mine so I attempted them with my kids last year. I became so disgusted with the amount of powdered sugar in them that I could finish making them. So I was thrilled to find this recipe and made them this year for Christmas. They are incredible and just as decadent as the buckeyes I made as a child without the excessive amount of sugar.

Kaitlin January 4, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just made these using the peanut butter that you grind at the store and they were way too dry and falling apart. I did not use any flour. I added extra maple syrup but hesitated to use too much more because I was going for low sweetness. The resulting creation tasted wonderful though. I’m going to use the jar kind next time. Thank you for the recipe.

Shelli March 28, 2016 at 11:03 am
Recipe Rating:

I just made these this weekend for easter! Everyone loved them! I was luck to get away with two more at the end of the night for my own enjoyment! <3 Great recipe! SUPER easy to make with and excellent payoff!

Angela Liddon March 28, 2016 at 1:45 pm

So happy everyone enjoyed them, Shelli! Happy Easter. :)

Lea May 9, 2016 at 7:30 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this wonderful recipe on the weekend and they didn’t last more than two days in our home! I have a sensitivity/intolerance to chocolate so I substituted with carob chips and they turned out perfect. For an added sweet vs. salty factor, I sprinkled a little pink Himalayan seat salt (also what I used in the peanut butter mixture) on top before putting them in the freezer and it was amazing! Thanks for another great recipe!

Angela Liddon May 9, 2016 at 11:34 am

Hi Lea, I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe (they don’t last long in my house, either)!

Kristen Parness August 19, 2016 at 7:48 am

Hi all!

Just wanted to share my “substitutions” to this recipe, which worked out SO well. First, I doubled the recipe and it only made about 15 balls, so that’s number one. Double everything, lol.

For sweeteners, if you don’t love the taste of the maple syrup, try honey. I used half maple and half honey.

Then, I subbed chia seeds for the crisped rice, but when doubling the recipe, just use 1/4 cup of chia seeds, as they expand in the mixture.

And finally, for the chocolate, I used unsweetened cacao, which by itself isnt good but when on the cookies, yummy!

A healthier modification!

Angela Liddon August 23, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing, Kristen!

gabby September 28, 2016 at 2:49 am
Recipe Rating:

Made these bad boys with Sunbutter and honey, no rice crispies and mct oil instead of plain coconut oil with the chocolate. It was all we had in the house BUT still delicious :) boyfriend approved!

plasterers bristol October 13, 2016 at 11:15 am

these are so damn delicious. My favs. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

Bharat ratna November 9, 2016 at 9:28 pm

<3 I will be making these, I have saved the recipe, thank you :)

Stacey Dunn November 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Can I freeze these?

Angela Liddon December 14, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Hi Stacey, You sure can! The balls can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for about a month.

Sara December 26, 2016 at 10:01 am
Recipe Rating:

Oh my goodness. This recipe was a home run!! I added a little extra PB for my peanut-butter-loving family. The slightly gooier texture made it harder to dip the balls into the chocolate on a fork, but it was so delicious that I willingly used my fingers and got a bit messy.
My family has always had a bit of an aversion to trying “healthier” versions. For Christmas yesterday, I gave some of these to my mother, who has been addicted to Reese’s peanut butter cups for YEARS. This morning she told me that she threw out all of the Reese’s in the house because “they just don’t taste good any more”. Thank you SO much!! This one’s a keeper. :)

Jessica January 10, 2017 at 11:30 am

These look great! Can you substitute with almond butter to make it healthier? Have you tried that? I try to avoid peanut butter even though they look amazing! Thoughts?

Angela Liddon February 22, 2017 at 8:34 am

Hi Jessica, I haven’t tried that substitution myself, but a number of readers have and had success. If you want to go nut butter-free, you could also try using sunflower seed butter instead. If you try a swap, please report back and let me know how it goes. :)

eva April 15, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Gorgeous!! I added 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp maca, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence, yumm!

Hannah December 22, 2017 at 6:48 pm

What can be substituted for coconut flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2017 at 7:41 am

Hey Hannah, I haven’t tried it, but I do think you could use a bit of all-purpose flour (just add it very slow so as to not dry them out). I think I’ve tried oat flour (maybe 1 tbsp or even less) and it worked out okay. The amount you’ll need to add will depend upon how “wet/runny/oily” the PB is. If it’s on the dry side you may not need any at all. I hope this helps!

Gaetane December 26, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Hi, I absolutely love the idea of skipping the icing sugar. I have a family favorite Peanut Butter Ball recipe that I have not seen elsewhere. All the Peanut Butter Ball recipe use Rice Krispies. The recipe I grew up with and no one in the family will do without at Christmastime does not have Rice Krispies rather it has dried cherries and more. This is my recipe :
¾ cup peanut butter
1 cup Icing Sugar
1 cup coconut
1 egg
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dates or cherries
½ tsp salt.
And of course the melted chocolate
Lately I hesitated to make the recipe because of the egg that is not cooked. But this is a family staple and I can not not make them.
This year, I made it with an egg substitute (water, vinegar and soda) And it is not the same. I wish I had found this recipe beforehand. Am I wrong in thinking that the egg is for holding everything together. Do you think I could adapt my recipe with yours and
and add the walnuts and cherries instead of the Rice Krispies?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2017 at 7:10 am

Hey Gaetane, Thanks for sharing your family recipe! So interesting. Yes, I totally think you could add walnuts and cherries…that sounds lovely. Let me know how it goes if you try it out. The main thing with my recipe is not to add too much coconut flour (it’s drying)…sometimes depending on the consistency of my peanut butter, I don’t need to add any at all. EnjoY!

Gaetane December 28, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback. I mentioned this to one of my sisters and we plan to try to take our recipe and adapt our to yours .
Maybe for Valentine? We do need an excuse to indulge :)…
I will let you know how they came out. We all would be so happy if we could do without the raw egg.

Stacy April 9, 2018 at 8:34 am

I’m wondering if the egg is used with the powdered sugar to make a meringue type froth that is part of what’s holding it up / giving it the body. If that’s the case, I’d try aqua faba and ditch that extra sugar! ;)

Brenda April 1, 2018 at 2:53 pm

I made these with cashew butter. They turned out excellent!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Yum!!! I love that twist Brenda! Did it remind you of cookie dough at all?

Michelle April 3, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Do you think PB2 would work in this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hey Michelle, that’s such a fun idea, but I’m not sure. PB2 is quite powdery, right? I think the whole recipe would need to be adjusted (especially to add moisture). if you try anything please let me know how it goes!

Stacy April 9, 2018 at 8:26 am

Based on playing with it, this is my best guess… it would work the same as regular peanut butter, but, if I was going to use it AS the full amount of peanut butter, I’d make it thicker, and omit the coconut flour, maybe 2:1 instead of 3:1 (called for on the label). It does work to thicken your peanut butter up, instead of using coconut flour, so that’s an option. And you could use a combo of pb powder with cocoa powder to roll the balls in, if desired. (and you can add cocoa powder to the filling, as well. This does work, I tried it, and it was delicious!)

Stacy April 9, 2018 at 8:18 am
Recipe Rating:

I altered the recipe a bit, so reporting what I did. I used peanut butter powder instead of part of the coconut flour. This worked superbly. I also didn’t feel like the mess of melting chocolate, so I chopped the chips in the mini food processor and rolled the balls in the chopped chocolate. This was awesome, as well! Excellent recipe! Totally a make again!