3-Layer Almond Coconut Chocolate Bars

veganchocolatebar-2155

I may not have my costume picked out or a pumpkin carved yet (how the heck is it Oct 24th?), but the vegan candy options are a-go. That is, if they last until the weekend.

I’ve been working on these layer bars for a few weeks now. It took a bit of patience to get the thickness of the layers juuust right, but lo and behold I finally nailed something worth sharing.

Me likey. Me likey a lot.

veganchocolatebar-2149

If you are looking for a fun and incredibly tasty Halloween treat (or really, a treat for any special occasion!), I hope you’ll give these a whirl. They just about made our dreams come true.

3layerveganchocolatebar

3-Layer Almond Coconut Chocolate Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 8 reviews

These bars are bursting with three of my favourite flavours – almond, coconut, and chocolate! How could you go wrong? A soft and nutty toasted almond-oat crust forms the base. If you’ve made my Chilled Chocolate Pie, you can probably attest to how good this press-in crust is! The middle layer is made up of a no-bake almond butter “fudge” enhanced with rice crisp cereal for a wicked crispy texture. The bars are topped with a dark chocolate “macaroon” coating and garnished with big flakes of toasted coconut. I know.

Yield
18 small bars
Freeze time
1 hour
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the base:
  • 3/4 cup whole almonds
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • 1 cup gluten-free rolled oat
For the middle layer:
  • 1 cup raw or roasted almond butter (or peanut butter)
  • 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch fine grain sea salt
  • 1/2 cup rice crisp cereal
For the topping:
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life brand for soy-free)
  • 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4-1/3 cup toasted unsweetened large coconut flakes (such as Let's Do...Organic brand)*

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way.
  2. For the crust: Add the almonds into a food processor and process until a fine meal forms, just larger than sand. Now add the oat flour, oil, syrup, and salt and process until combined and sticky. Finally, add the cup of rolled oats and process until the oats are chopped and the dough comes together, but the oats still have a bit of texture to them. The dough should stick together when pressed between your fingers. Crumble the dough evenly in the prepared pan. Press the dough into the pan evenly, wetting fingers if necessary to prevent sticking. Smooth out the dough with a pastry roller and use your fingertips to press in the edges until even.  Poke a few holes with a fork to let air escape. Bake, uncovered, for around 13 minutes. Place pan on cooling rack for at least 10 minutes.
  3. For the middle layer: In a medium saucepan, stir the almond butter, oil, syrup, vanilla, and salt and heat over medium until the coconut oil is melted and the mixture is smooth. Whisk if necessary. Remove from heat. When the crust has cooled for 10 minutes or so, stir the rice crisp cereal into the almond butter mixture and pour this mixture on top of the crust. Smooth out and place in the freezer on a flat surface for 40-45 minutes, until the middle layer is completely solid. While the mixture freezes, toast the large coconut flakes (see note below). After the middle layer is frozen, remove from freezer and lift out the bar. Slice into 6 rows vertically and then slice 3 rows horizontally to make 18 small bars. Place bars in the freezer once again while you prepare the chocolate topping.
  4. For the chocolate topping: In a saucepan, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low-medium heat. When half the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until completely smooth. Stir in the shredded coconut. Remove bars from the freezer and spoon a small amount of chocolate on top of each bar. Immediately, sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes. Return the bars to the freezer until the chocolate is set. Serve immediately (bars will melt quickly, so I wouldn't suggest keeping them out too long). Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.

Tips:

1) To make 1/2 cup oat flour, add 1/2 cup rolled oats into a high-speed blender and blend on high until a flour forms. 2) To toast the large coconut flakes, spread onto a baking sheet and toast at 350F for only 3-4 minutes, until golden and fragrant. After cooling, I crumbled the flakes up into smaller pieces for easier sprinkling. 3) For a fun twist, try making these bars using my homemade Nutella instead of almond butter!

veganchocolatebar-2160

By the way, thank you for your comments in my last post! It’s comforting to know that many of you have been through the same thing and it all worked out in the end. Here’s to good luck house hunting vibes for all. :)

1 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 24, 2013

OMG…amazing! I could definitely go for some right now! ;-)

2 Tashiana June 1, 2014

Me too!

3 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 24, 2013

OH. MY. GOODNESS!

I’m making this asap then sending half of them to the Mr’s work so I don’t slam my face into the pan!

4 janae @ bring joy October 24, 2013

First, how deliciously decandent!

Second, I have an honest to goodness question, Angela. How do you create all this stuff without wanting to eat the whole thing? I’ve been churning out a bunch of recipes lately & I really have to watch myself, because as “healthy” as my recipes are, I can make myself sick sampling, & eating too much in the process. Just wondered what you do….

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2013

hah yes it’s really hard to be around tasty treats! I found it especially challenging when I was creating the recipes for the book. Talk about food overload! I do a couple things that help – first, I try to space out my testing. So I try not to test 4 dessert recipes in a row and space out the treats with really healthy veggie packed recipes. With these bars, I spread out the testing over a few weeks. Another thing that helps is packaging the food up and bringing it to friends or family. The kiddos always love it. Of course, Eric doesn’t always love parting with his goodies though. ;)

6 Melanie October 26, 2013

If I may add my two cents… Having kids completely solves this problem :) If you don’t, offer them to someone else’s kids. They’ll love you for it!

7 janae @ bring joy October 26, 2013

Haha, that *partially* solves the problem. I do have kids (4, with a 5th on the way)–the taste testing, retasting, retesting, that’s the process that really adds up, calorie/stomach space wise.

8 Tashiana June 1, 2014

Story of my life! It was interesting to see Angela’s reply, I felt like I was doing something wrong by giving it all out to as many folk as possible…but I couldn’t go on as I was either :’) Readers always have some inevitable illusion that their fav blogger really does somehow manage to eat it all and stay in good shape too! Its hard to break out of ;)

9 Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies October 24, 2013

I’ve been looking for the perfect vegan/GF recipe for a halloween party — Found it! This looks crazy yummy.

10 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 24, 2013

Looks delicious – as always! I also don’t have a costume picked out or any of my Halloween decor out. It just doesn’t feel like it this year!

11 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 24, 2013

I love alllll the layers! This looks fabulous!

12 Traveling Cats October 24, 2013

Is it accepted to drool on your posts?

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2013

I encourage it :)

14 Adriana Perciballi October 24, 2013

Wow this sound fabulous!!! Can’t wait to try make these bars!! Thank you for your great recipes!

15 Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor October 24, 2013

Woah, these look good! I’m pretty sure I could eat a whole batch myself. I think the chocolate toasted macaron topping is the best part :)

16 Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate October 24, 2013

Forget the costume, you don’t need it. The only good part about Halloween are the treats!

17 Train mean, eat clean - Lieke October 24, 2013

Oh gosh, looks like the best thing I’ve ever seen!!! Can i use olive oil in stead of coconut oil? Xoxo

18 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green October 24, 2013

Oh my goodness these look incredible!! I was really expecting to see the middle layer have some dates in it, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was date free! I love dates but often times they are used as a binder in bars like this, so it is nice to see something different!

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons October 24, 2013

Oh.my.gosh… these look -amazing- Angela. And I’m with you on not having any idea how it’s already October 24th — I’m just not feeling it!

20 Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog October 24, 2013

Another brilliant idea for my Halloween parties this weekend. Thanks Angela!

21 Tara@PNWRunner October 24, 2013

Holy toledo. I must have these immediately. They look fantastic. Almonds, almond butter, chocolate—>Score! :) Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I cannot wait to make it for myself. Hopefully, they come out just as pretty as yours!

22 Giovanna October 24, 2013

Making them tonite!!!

23 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 24, 2013

Ooh these are beautiful Ange! I especially love your last shot. As for Halloween, I don’t have a costume yet either and like you, the month has flown by and I have no idea how it’s the 24th already. Maybe I should just bring these into work and that’ll be considered acceptable in absence of a costume? ;)

24 Shundara@SavyNaturalista October 24, 2013

I decided to use my pumpkin instead of carve it! Oh gosh this looks delicious! Caramel and a crispy crunch! I love it!

25 Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog October 24, 2013

I’m seriously drooling over these bars! I want one right now. I don’t think there’d be any left for trick or treaters at my house!

26 Kath October 24, 2013

These have my name written all over them! I absolutely love the first picture too. Great job Angela

27 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan October 24, 2013

Um yesss I will take 10 of these ok?? I know what I am bringing on my trip this weekend and NOT sharing! : )

28 Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) October 24, 2013

These look absolutely amazing!

29 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 24, 2013

Oh Angela the layers on these…the texture, the chocolate, the nuttiness, crispiness. I am a huge sucker for layered bars with tons of texture and elements going on and usually I trash mine up pretty good with some gas station candy, i.e. Butterfingers and Reese’s Cups LOL – and am so impressed that yours is healthy, vegan, GF, and looks amazing! Pinned!

30 dishing up the dirt October 24, 2013

I am not a huge costume person. However, I love desserts like this. Beautiful, healthy, and delicious!

31 Alex @ Kenzie Life October 24, 2013

Oh heck yes! I am SO excited about these because I’ve been wanting to make a recipe similar to this (like those amazing “magic” bars) but I’ve been too lazy (ok, busy) so thanks for doing all the work ;) I can’t wait to try them!

32 Anna @ Fitness à la Anna October 24, 2013

Oh my goodness, these look particularly delectable…I can’t wait to test them out!! I will def have to recruit my roomies to help me eat them, otherwise I may eat them all to myself hehe

33 Katie October 24, 2013

These look so delicious! I love that your desserts have top-notch ingredients (i.e. coconut oil, maple syrup).

The question someone else asked– about recipe testing and not eating it all :) — got me thinking. What’s the most you’ve toyed with/tested a recipe before it came out just how you wanted? I get frustrated after about 3 attempts (not super patient, LOL).

Thanks, Angela!

34 Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician October 24, 2013

Oh my, these look amazeballs!! Get in my kitchen :)

35 Katie October 24, 2013

These look delicious! One of your previous recipes called for crispy rice cereal as well. What vegan brand do you use?

36 Shelby October 24, 2013

This is mouthwatering! I might be making a trip to the grocery store today so I can make these. :)

37 Mary Pascall October 24, 2013

Hate to be a buzz kill…recipe looks amazing, but would like to use something other than coconut oil. A little shredded coconut embellishment is fine with me, but there is a cup and 1/4 of coconut oil in this recipe and coconut oil has more saturated fat than meat. I don’t use it. Is it essential or could something else be used in it’s place.

I frequent your site and use your recipes all the time and love them. You’ve been a great deal of help along my journey to a plant based lifestyle after colon cancer. This recipe looks too good to miss, but I find coconut oil to be one of those niggling little questions for me.

Best regards,
Mary

38 Jill October 24, 2013

I see 1/4 cup in the base, 1/2 cup in the middle layer, and 1/2 tablespoon in the topping. That’s 3/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon. Were you count the 1/2 tablespoon in the topping as 1/2 cup?

39 Mary Pascall October 24, 2013

I sincerely apologize, I did miscalculate the coconut oil. I would like to know though, if the coconut oil actually is necessary and if there might be an alternative in your opinion or would it ruin the recipe. The rest of the ingredients are all favorites of mine.

40 Greta Laundy October 25, 2013

Hi Angela,
These look aaammaaazinnng!
I’m with Mary though…I would like to use something else in place of the coconut oil as I’m concerned about how it effects cholesterol (I have family high cholesterol and need to be very careful of saturated fat).
Do you have something else you suggest?
Love your site Angela too – I came across it a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve got you bookmarked for easy reference!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

41 Coral Bouret December 7, 2013

I have made this recipe twice now, once with maple syrup and the second time around with agave, both with coconut oil (which is a staple in my kitchen)…

I would like to pitch in and join the “saturated fat-cholesterol-concern-with-coconut oil” thread. I also have a family history of high cholesterol, and have learned from a very early age to differentiate between LDL (a.k.a BAD cholesterol) and HDL (a.k.a. GOOD cholesterol), and learned that not all fats are created equal. Let me repeat and emphasize, NOT ALL FATS ARE CREATED EQUAL. That is true for cholesterol and saturated fats as well.

Bottom line, we NEED cholesterol for brain function, maintaining a strong immune system and all around good health, we just need higher levels of and lower levels of LDL. How? Cholesterol is only made by animals (read: plants don’t make cholesterol) so if you eliminate meat, eggs and dairy products from your diet, your bad cholesterol will decrease almost immediately. How to increase HDL? We need to ingest “good” fats, like the ones found in vegetable sources, including “good” saturated fats found in avocados, olive oil, and yes, COCONUT OIL!

About replacing it with olive oil for cooking/baking, I would advise against it, as something happens to olive oil when it is heated which is basically NOT GOOD. Coconut oil is not our enemy, it is actually quite beneficial, even with all its saturated fat… Its bad reputation has been “debunked” ;) AND, as opposed to olive oil, coconut oil is perfectly safe when heated at high temperatures.

PS: There are some great articles out there about the “demonization” of saturated fats, and the HUGE difference between saturated fats found in animal vs. plant sources.

42 Anna October 25, 2013

Maybe try canola oil? There’s no other oil that I know of that solidifies at cold temperatures like coconut oil

43 CareyBerry October 26, 2013

I’m with Anna… try canola oil and see how it works. Worst case scenario? The recipe doesn’t firm up and you have to eat it with a spoon. :-) I prefer using canola and olive oils as well because high cholesterol runs in my family too.

If anyone tries the recipe with other oils, please post results. I think this would be a lovely dessert to bring to my in laws for Thanksgiving.

44 Alli October 24, 2013

Oh wow, I should not be reading this post right before lunch. I am starving and now totally craving these bars. They look amazing and will definitely by my next yummy recipe to try.

45 Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget October 24, 2013

I keep telling myself that I have plenty of time to get the pumpkin carving and Halloween festivities in, but it is coming up quick! These bars look amazing though, I might just have to make these as part of the “festivities”!

46 Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen October 24, 2013

I wish I could make these right now! What a great alternative treat to all the crappy candy of the holiday.

47 Naomi October 24, 2013

HOLY COW. Making. These. Tonight.

48 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables October 24, 2013

Mmmm, I was just craving a seven-layer bar yesterday afternoon. These look like a good alternative!

49 Alana October 24, 2013

Since it’s Thanksgiving, I’m always looking for blogs that will give me plenty of ideas. My friend just told me about “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook (also a blog). I just “Liked” his page. He dedicates November for all Thanksgiving ideas. I was hoping I may find some things on your blog this season too. Alana

50 Caitlin October 24, 2013

Oh wow, these look sooo good!! And what a great flavour combo. :)

51 Amelia October 24, 2013

I’m making these first thing tomorrow. Get in my belly insane!
You know, if you and Eric ever need to unload some treats, I’m more than happy to give you my address. Or you can come visit us in Charleston, Sc. :)

52 Sarah S. October 24, 2013

Are you magic? In all seriousness. You blow my mind.
Every single recipe of yours I have ever tried always goes onto my favorites list. Every. single. recipe. And I’ve tried a loooooot of your recipes. You are incredible!
I will be waiting at the bookstore/my computer at midnight for your cookbook.

53 kate October 24, 2013

Done and done. Can’t wait for them to get out of the freezer.

54 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 24, 2013

Oh my gosh! There are no words other than “YUM!”

55 Tami@nutmegnotebook October 24, 2013

I wish I had one of these right now. Going into my pike of recipes to try.

56 Emily October 24, 2013

You mention 3/4 of whole almonds for the crust ground into a flour….how much would I require for the request if I already have almond flour/meal on hand? Thanks so much!

57 Bailey March 25, 2014

I wanted to do the same thing. I decided to use 1/2 cup almond meal for the 3/4 cup ground whole almonds and the crust came out perfectly. They taste awesome!

58 Louise Bloom October 24, 2013

How can I not try to make this if they look so yummy?! Thanks for the no bake recipe. Love these bars.

59 Jenni October 24, 2013

These are insane! I’m hoping that if I stare at these pictures long enough, one will materialize in front of me.

60 Krista October 25, 2013

what do the asterisks after the oat flour and coconut flakes mean?

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2013

it just means there’s a note about them at the bottom of the recipe :)

62 Paula October 25, 2013

Wowowowowowow! I am obsessed over these photos! Amazing! Oh and of course the recipe looks outstanding too!

63 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner October 25, 2013

OH MY GOSH!!! Those look INCREDIBLE!!!! What an amazing recipe! <3 <3 <3

64 Laura @ The Green Forks! October 25, 2013

You come up with the BEST recipes! So delicious…

65 Jessica @ Desserts with Benefits October 25, 2013

These looks absolutely DIVIIIINNNE. And healthy? WHAT?!
I wish I was your neighbor so I could just walk over and be like, “Hey, can I steal all the desserts from your fridge?”

66 Shell October 25, 2013

WOW! Angela, you have done it AGAIN! We have just finished enjoying our second batch of your crunch bars from this month as well. This gives me another way to impress my girls and their friends. Thanks for helping me look like such a rock star mom!!! I can’t wait for your cookbook. Best of luck and happiness to you. Thank you for helping to make our plant-based life delicious!!

67 Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 25, 2013

Hooooly moly, these sound amazing. I don’t know if you’re a fan of Friends, but there’s one episode in which Rachel tries to cook a trifle and bungles it quite spectacularly. Joey, however, loves it. At one point, he’s listing off the misbegotten ingredients (“Jam? Good. Whipped cream? Good. Beef and onions? GOOD.”) while talking about how delicious it is. These amazing bars are nothing like that trifle, obviously — but I found myself reading each ingredient and totally pulling a Joey. “Chocolate macaroon toppping? Good. Almond butter fudge? Good. Almond-oat base? GOOD.” :) Imma have to try these!

68 Sandy October 25, 2013

lol I remember that episode and you’re right – this recipe does warrant a Joey reaction! lol Thanks for the flashback!

69 Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina October 25, 2013

These look absolutely delicious, I must make these asap!

70 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped October 25, 2013

I think my jaw dropped when I read the title, but then when I saw them– I’m just hungry now! haha. Such a great vegan halloween recipe. Thanks for sharing!

71 Shikha @ Shikha la mode October 25, 2013

I’ve been on a bar phase and these are perfect! Coconut is so good.

72 Becca October 25, 2013

Just made these! Followed the recipe to a tee. So delicious. Like a cross between a granola bar, chocolate bar, and cookie. The crust reminds me of shortbread.

73 Elyse @ Lizzie Fit October 25, 2013

Every recipe I’ve made of yours with brown rice crisps has been amazing. What is it about those little crisps?? :)

74 Becca October 25, 2013

Curses! I had to make these as soon as I saw the picture! The only problem was that I did not have some of the ingredients. I guess that desperation is the mother of invention? The crust had no sugar and was a blend of oat, almond and coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut butter. To make it stick together, I blended up 1.5 tbsp chia seeds and soaked them in 10 tbsp water. My middle layer was soaked dates, coconut butter, peanut butter, vanilla and almond extract. I did toast some coconut, though! =P You are my inspiration, and at least this will be interesting. I definitely need to go shopping so that I can make the real deal.

75 Sandy October 25, 2013

Oh, yum. But is it possible to use another oil rather than coconut in any or all of the three layers?

76 Anna October 26, 2013

You could try using canola oil, but it won’t solidify when it’s cold like coconut oil does

77 Donna October 26, 2013

THESE…look positively amazing…the textures…the “crunch” factor!!!..I am so in for these for a healthier Halloween!!…Question…could I possibly use whole hazelnuts/filberts instead of the almonds to similar spectacular results?!…Would LOVE to marry hazelnut & chocolate for a Ferrero Rocher effect!!!….Thank you for your endless sharing of your culinary cranium!!

78 Renard Moreau October 26, 2013

[ Smiles ] I am afraid to try that delicious vegan recipe of yours because it looks rather fattening; but, I will try it once I build the nerve to indulge!

79 Melanie October 26, 2013

Another hit at my house! The whole family loves these! My kids now get excited when I tell them I’m making one of your recipes :)
I’m going to use this base in your magical coconut bars, as a gluten-free option.

80 Heather October 27, 2013

I saved some almond meal/pulp in the freezer from when I made your almond milk recipe (which my kids love!!!). How much of that can I use as a substitue for the 3/4 cup almonds listed for the base?

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hi Heather, Since almond pulp has a lot of moisture in it, it’s usually not a direct 1:1 sub for almond flour. What you’d have to do first is to dry it out. If you have a dehydrator – use that. If not, you can dry it out in the oven at the lowest temperature setting. I haven’t done this yet myself but there are some tutorials online. Best of luck!

82 Dean Prather October 27, 2013

These look ridiculously good and I’m not even vegan. I cannot wait to try these. I wish I had one right now, I’m so impatient! Every one of your recipes I have tried end up turing out exactly how I imagined them to be… delicious! Please keep the recipes coming.

83 kimmythevegan October 27, 2013

Oh my freaking goodness. I have to make these this week. Holy crap. There is this store in Waterloo, Ontario that makes something similar and I have been wanting to recreate it and I think this may be the golden ticket =D

84 Jennifer B.T. October 28, 2013

Made these this weekend. Darling teenage daughter loves them!!! Had an issue with the chocolate seizing every time I added the coconut oil. I omitted it and didn’t have a problem. Have a container full of these yummy treats in the frig. They are going to come in handy on Thursday, Halloween, if they make it that long.

85 Jennifer October 28, 2013

I’m totally making these this week! But, I was thinking of puffed Quinoa instead of rice cereal, any thoughts?

86 Jennifer October 29, 2013

So I made these last night and they were so yummy! I did use puffed quinoa instead of the puffed rice. They turned out beautiful :) Thanks again for a great recipe.

87 erin October 29, 2013

Holy cow these look amazing and I just happen to have all the ingredients in the pantry. Now what should I do while my husband is out of town for the week??

Thanks so much; these look amazing!!

88 Veronica R. October 30, 2013

I made these the other day and they were very tasty! A little more time-consuming than I realized, but I think that’s because my freezer sucks. It took almost an hour and a half for the middle layer to set.

I might try reducing the amount of coconut oil a little bit next time. It just felt like a lot of oil and you could feel the slickness of it in the bars. Other than that, these were a big hit at the party I took them too and I will definitely try them again :)

89 Annie October 30, 2013

Hi! This looks amazing. Do you think I can use peanuts in the base instead of almonds?
Thanks for your beautiful and inspiring recipies. Annie

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013

Hi Annie, I haven’t tried any other nuts yet, so I’m not sure. I would imagine many different nuts could work though. Good luck!

91 Isabelle October 30, 2013

Just to let you know.. this recipe didn’t even last 24 hours after it was made. Actually, it barely made the night :) My boyfriend made quite a few trips to the freezer that evening lol

Delicious just like all your recipes !!!

92 Leah November 3, 2013

These look very yummy! I plan to make them this coming week. I am a part of my community plant based cooking group, and each month we meet to share plant based recipes and taste what everyone’s brought. I made your Pumpkin pie brownie bars for potluck at my church and they were a big hit, so I plan to make them along with these bars for our upcoming “holiday” theme cooking class! thanks for all the wonderful recipes! I am originally Canadian (From BC) but now live in Washington State since. Since finding your blog its my “go-to” for any new recipe I make. I really appreciate how you develop recipes that are easy to make and don’t have a lot of ingredients that are hard to find or super expensive. I love your blog!!!

93 LUBETT TAQUET November 5, 2013

I made these and they are now my favorite. Better than a candy bar. Wish your book was coming out before Xmas. I wanted to put it on my Xmas list. Thanks for being so awesome.

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2013

So glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know :)

95 Nicky November 7, 2013

Wow wow wow, I started making these yesterday and we ate them all before I got around to putting the chocolate and coconut on top, they were amazing, my 5 year old actually cried this morning when he found out that there were no more left! I’m trying again today with the chocolate and coconut this time, thanks so much for posting recipes I actually feel I want to give to my kids in place of sugary snacks!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2013

Hey Nicky, so glad you all enjoyed them!! I think I wanted to cry too when they were all gone. ;)

97 Beth Sowell November 18, 2013

Wow, this looks like a healthier version of the old southern classic Hello Dolly Bars, or some folks call it 7 Layer Bars. I will have to try this soon!

98 Zoe Borenstein November 23, 2013

These look delicious! However, I have an oat allergy. Is there anything you would recommend for a substitution? THANKS!!!

99 julieh December 19, 2013

Hi there, just mid making these for the 2nd time. First time they turned out perfect so I decided to make them for my Christmas treat. Yum yum!
This time while making the middle layer & heating the ingredients in the saucepan it looks like the mixture has split…I have thick sticky mixture plus liquid floating around the edges. It was smooth, I was giving it one last swirl & then this happened.
So annoyed, just wondering can it be saved, what can I do? Let it cool & try reheating it again? & secondly why did it happen? Too much heat? Stirred too much?

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013

hmm I’m not sure! What kind of nut butter did you use? Was it the no stir kind?

101 julieh December 20, 2013

It was pure/100% organic almond butter. I let it cool and tried reheating but it made no difference. So I decided to make Almond Amaze Balls out of the sticky remainder (instead of the Peanut Better Balls!). I decided it would be a total waste to throw all those nice ingredients in the bin, so I removed the liquid (it’s almost like the oil from the butter separated, as it’s not solidifying and it tastes more almond-y than coconut-y & not sweet at all), added some coconut flour to dry it up a bit and continued with your Peanut Better Balls recipe. So I have marzipan-y chocolate treats along with my 3-layer bars (2nd batch of the middle layer turned out perfectly). Double the treats! :)

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2013

Well, I’m glad you could save it! So strange that happened to you.

103 Cookingmypoundsoff December 27, 2013

OMG -)))) It looks sooooooooooooo good!!!! And I have almost everything to make it -)

104 Lulu Horsfield January 5, 2014

Made today – my first recipe from this beautiful site. A M A Z I N G! Thankyou! I’ll be back x

105 Melinda @ Love Melinda January 26, 2014

These are awesome! Everyone asks for the recipe!

106 AnaG February 14, 2014

I made these yesterday and they are fabulous!! It’s been such a challenge for me to be dairy, gluten and refined sugar free and your recipes really help me to stay on track. Thank you!!

107 Lili February 15, 2014

I thought I had all the ingredients to this but no rice crispier. I do have BRM hulled millet and have added it to banana bread for a crunch so that will be my sub. I will let you know how it turned out. Can’t wait to make

108 Melanie February 28, 2014

To quote my (non-vegan) mom when she tasted these,”this May be the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” :)

109 Becca March 10, 2014

These were sooo good!! I did not have choc chips for the top layer, so I melted some coconut oil with raw cocoa powder and some maple syrup. I also did not have any rice cerael, so I crumbled up a brown rice cake and that was perfect. It turned out perfect!

110 Nicole March 16, 2014

So funny Becca, i made the exact same chocolate topping and couldn’t find brown rice cereal without sugar added so purchased a rice cake too! *high five* to us for being creative! Turned out amazing.

111 Lucy March 24, 2014

I have just made these – they are stunning – if this is an example of what you can come up with – then I am buying your book! Good job I have American cups as UK based!

112 Sophie March 27, 2014

Just made these and they’re currently in the freezer ! Cant wait to taste!

113 Corinna April 1, 2014

Okay here’s the deal. I’ve been racking my brain for a GF, dairy free, and cane sugar free fix for my sweet tooth. This not only fulfilled my sweet tooth and fit my needs, but it rocked my world (and most of my friends’ worlds too). Absolutely delish! I’m officially addicted to Angela’s food brain.

114 Kristin April 23, 2014

This looks so yummy!! Sadly I don’t have any rice puffs, (NOT using kellogg’s), but I have ordered some and as soon as they arrive this is the first recipe I’m making. Can’t think of a better thing to nibble on during the final days of my dissertation writing… I may have to make a batch without the rice puffs actually, not sure I can restrain myself… =) Thank’s for another AMAZING recipe! (this is my new favourite blog by a mile!)

115 Kristin August 1, 2014

So, I couldn’t wait for the rice puffs and used rolled oats that I toasted in the frying pan with some honey first, they turned out fantastic, best snack I think I’ve ever made, they are dangerously delishious!!

116 Melanie May 13, 2014

These are SO GOOD!!!!!

Like, drop everything you are doing this second and make them now, they are THAT good.

I made these when my sister came home for the weekend and I am pretty sure we devoured the entire batch in 2 days. They are a delightful indulgence, without making yourself feel “too” guilty afterwards. I even caught my dad sneaking a few extra, so he was definitely a huge fan and keeps asking me to make them again. I didn’t tell him until afterwards that they were vegan, because he makes fun of my vegan food usually! (He’s a real meat-and-potatoes kinda guy). However he still loved them :)

117 Audra June 6, 2014

Hello my name is Audra and I am a 3 layer coconut bar addict since late last year. I ate an entire pan on March 25/26 after I delivered my 3rd child, since a friend made them for me and brought them in the hospital 4 hours after delivering! They were my biggest craving and since I had gestational diabetes and could not have them for 11 weeks I have been making a pan (or 2) a week now and eating at least half by myself. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! Please help me find a way to loose the weight! Love your site Angela!!

118 Sarah June 11, 2014

Hi Ange!

I goofed a bit with these… I decided to multitask and make about 5 different granola-type bar recipes at once (only one giant mess to clean!), which meant I rushed through the directions and got ahead of myself. I put the base in the freezer like I had done with other recipes, completely ignoring the part about baking it first. Of course I noticed the minute I poured on the middle layer, but figured it was too late to try and scrape it all off. Do you think there’s any reason the bottom layer wouldn’t work or hold together raw (as long as they’re kept cold, as you suggested)? I know it TASTES good ;) Thanks!

119 Carla June 19, 2014

Hi, I’m just wondering why you bake the base? All of the ingredients are safe to eat raw and since it’s better for you to eat them raw, why not just leave the base as is before baking?

Also, I agree with Coral on the coconut oil debate. It’s not our enemy. It is extremely good for us and there are no other oils that are going to firm up in order to keep the bar gelled together and intact so yes, there’s a very good reason for using it!

120 Stephanie Collins September 6, 2014

Made these today and they were delicious! Took them to a potluck and there were none left – lots of great comments about them! Will definitely make again

121 lauren October 23, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Not as hard as it looks and totally worth it anyway. Awesome!

122 Nancy October 25, 2014

What does the * next to the gluten free oat flour and the flake coconut mean. I scrolled down to see if it referenced something, but couldn’t find anything. Thank you.

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2014

Hi Nancy,

It is in the note for preparation instructions.

124 Niki November 18, 2014

A friend of mine just directed me to this receipt of yours! Made my mouth water! LOL! I was looking for something like this for my Dad for Thanksgiving because he loves chocolate and almonds.

Also love the idea of using homemade Nutella with this! Will be using that receipt as well.

Thanks! Can’t wait to try these!!

125 Kristina January 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just made these tonight. They’re delicious! I modified the last part and didn’t cut the squares until I spread the chocolate/coconut topping and left it in the fridge to harden for a bit…then just cut the bars afterwards :) I LOVE the crispy rice…yum!

126 LauraMD March 8, 2015

GET IN MY BELLY… I will also be sending half of these beauties w/ the Mister!

I made that beautiful Superfood Crunch salad today so I had extra coconut. What a perfect way to use it!

127 Ruby March 12, 2015

Hi,

This looks so amazing. Do you think I’d be able to use substitute melted butter for some of the coconut oil?

Thanks

128 Shannon March 15, 2015

Probably!

129 Shannon March 15, 2015

I just wanted to say that even not following this recipe exactly, the end result is amazing! I needed to make something gluten free and vegan for a party this afternoon with little notice, so of course I started searching OSG! These came up, and I started making them before I realized I had maaaaybe 1/2 cup of coconut oil left! I reduced the amount in the base and the filling, added a touch of water to hold together the crust, and upped my nut butter amount in the filling and they are still fantastic!Thanks Angela for this amazing recipe!

130 Autumn April 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these and they are amazing. My husband loved them left out of the fridge for a bit. Soft and gooey. The rice crispies inside give these bars the right amount of crunch and texture.

131 Jess May 31, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are soooooo good! They didn’t stand a chance in my house! They are, however, a little bit time consuming (I have three little ones to run after all day). Can’t wait to make them again! Thanks for sharing! :)

132 Mandy July 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these last night! They are so delicious! Easy recipe to follow. I have to take them to friends, so I don’t eat them all. Thank you for the great and healthy recipes!

133 Kristi July 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these bars yesterday for a family get-together and everyone loved them. They are rich and full of delicious flavor. I made a double batch in a 13×9 pan. Now I have leftovers. Lucky me!

134 Neta November 16, 2015

Sounds good and looks great :)
I have a class tomorrow and I think we’ll make it with the kids.
Thanks!

135 Jessica November 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Looks so delicious….my grandmother used to make same cookies. She added a lot of butter. Apparently butter makes it taste so good.

136 Yuki February 6, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela! I tried this lovely bar right after I found this recipe and……. it tastes beyond amazing!!!!! Thank you so so so much for sharing the recipe with us:))

137 Dan April 2, 2016

I had a lot of fun making the different layers,
but I found the final product very greasey and waxy.
too much oil? coconut flavor was overwhelming.

138 Angela Liddon April 21, 2016

Hi Dan, I find the coconut oil becomes more noticeable as it warms, so serving the bars chilled straight from the fridge may help with the texture you’re noticing. Cold, they should have a firmer feel. I haven’t tried reducing the oil, but you could experiment with that if you wanted. I’d love to hear how it goes!