No Meat Athlete + Buffalo Hummus Recipe

nomeatathlete1   No Meat Athlete + Buffalo Hummus Recipe

Today, I’m happy to share a new book by my friend Matt Frazier, creator of the popular blog, No Meat Athlete. I’ve been a big fan of Matt since the early days of my own blog (and of course a big fan of his popular t-shirts!). I’ve always admired his down to earth and approachable writing style and passion for fitness and health. He truly feels like a buddy when you read his blog. Matt can make anyone at any fitness level feel welcome in his space and his enthusiasm about a plant-based diet does just the same. You know how some hard core fitness blogs can make you feel like peeing your pants? Well, I’ve never felt that way reading Matt’s blog. [Ok, maybe there was that one time.] He truly makes health and fitness feel like something we can all achieve whether you are just starting out or shooting for an ultra marathon. Oh and did I mention he does it all while eating a vegan diet?

Matt’s first book, No Meat Athlete, hit the shelves this week (which also marks the beginning of his 40-city book tour!) and I’m so grateful to receive a review copy of his book and to participate in this virtual book tour. First, I’ll tell you a bit about the book and then I’ll share a recipe from the book below! You don’t want to miss this one.

cover   No Meat Athlete + Buffalo Hummus Recipe

Here are some features of the No Meat Athlete Book:

Section I of this book is all about Plant-based nutrition for athletes, including topics like:

• Food and nutrition Philosophy
  • Getting Started: Creating a healthy, Plant-Based eating habit
  • Plant-Based nutrition for Sports: an In-Depth Guide
  • In the Kitchen: Basic Cooking Skills to Save You time, energy, and embarrassment
  • 55 recipes to Fuel Plant-Based athletes

Section II is called Running on Plants with topics like:

• How You Can Learn to Love running
  • How to Make running a habit
  • Taking It to the next Level: advanced training techniques
  • Training for Your First (or Your Fastest) race

Matt also shares training plans for 5K, 10K, and half marathon races so you can get started right away!

nomeatathlete 1167   No Meat Athlete + Buffalo Hummus Recipe

As I mentioned, there is a recipe chapter in the book featuring 55 plant-based recipes geared towards athletes. These are the recipes that Matt and his family eat on a regular basis and you’ll find many quick and easy recipes in this chapter from Homemade Energy Gel to Cowboy Chili to Black Bean Brownies. Matt so kindly let me share a recipe with you today and let me tell you, it’s a GREAT one!

nomeatathlete 1168   No Meat Athlete + Buffalo Hummus Recipe

No Meat Athlete’s Buffalo Hummus

Printed with permission from the book No Meat Athlete by Matt Frazier. Excerpted by arrangement with Fair Winds Press. Copyright © 2013.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Matt’s note: Of all the foods I missed when I went vegetarian, buffalo chicken was number one. It wasn’t so much the chicken I craved as the tangy, burn-your-lips spiciness of buffalo sauce. For a while, I just bought bottles of it and put it on anything and everything, but because most buffalo sauce is made with butter, that stopped working once I went vegan. Fortunately my sister Christine came up with this variation, which combines my favorite flavor with one of the foods I eat most often (hummus). Booyah. As with other hummus recipes, substitute the liquid from the can of chickpeas if you wish to avoid oil.

Yield: 2 cups

• 1 can (15-ounces or 440 g) or 1 1/2 cups (246 g) cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt – AL)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons (30 g) tahini
  • 1 tablespoon (15 ml) hot sauce (I used Frank’s Hot Sauce – AL)
  • 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup (90 g) jarred roasted red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons (28 ml) olive oil or liquid from can (I used water- AL)
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste, for serving

1. Combine all the ingredients except the oil (or water) and cayenne. in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine and then scrape down the sides. With the motor running, stream in the oil (or water) through the feed tube.

2. Continue to run the motor until you reach the desired consistency; I like to let it for for 5 minutes to get it really smooth.

3. Add more salt, lemon juice, or hot sauce, to taste, and then sprinkle with cayenne pepper before serving. Angela’s note: I also sprinkled it with cumin, smoked paprika, and more hot sauce.

~~~~

Congrats again, Matt, on your new book! And good luck with the book tour. I wish you were coming to Toronto. :)

LindseyMM October 4, 2013

Love this post! Listening to him on the Rich Roll podcast — he seems like such a great guy!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 4, 2013

I wish Matt was coming to Toronto too!

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies October 4, 2013

Wow, that hummus looks amazing! I’m pretty obsessed with buffalo sauce, but it’s hard finding things to put it on. I’ve always WANTED to learn how to run (but still really hate it) so I’m pretty intrigued by the second section of the book!

Emily - It comes naturally blog October 4, 2013

Wow! I love buffalo sauce, but am concerned about the sugar in shop bought. This looks like a great alternative! Thanks Angela and Matt, and good luck with the book!

Liz October 4, 2013

Love hummus…I’ve never tried buffalo sauce but I can’t wait! Thanks for sharing Angela and Matt!

Jen October 4, 2013

This looks incredible! Like Matt, I’ve missed buffalo chicken since going vegetarian… but it’s not the chicken I care about! I’m always looking for another excuse to use Frank’s hot sauce.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 4, 2013

Ooh this sounds delish! I’m thinking a perfect base for my enchiladas! :-)

Liz October 4, 2013

Holy Cannoli, when did he go vegan?? Is that a recent thing?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2013

I think since 2011? Maybe Matt can chime in if he sees this comment!

Matt Frazier October 9, 2013

Hey Liz, I’ve been vegan since early 2011. Angela was right!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} October 4, 2013

Yesss this looks perfect! I am a huge hummus lover, but my boyfriend isn’t really interested in it… I have a feeling that will all change when I make it buffalo-flavored! Making this tonight!

Joelle October 4, 2013

Looks delicious. My library has it on order, so I now have it on hold. By the way, anyone looking for another great way to use buffalo sauce should try lightly frying some strips of seiten and then at the end, add some Frank’s or other sauce. Then use it to make a buffalo seiten sandwich. Yum!

Kyle October 4, 2013

Hey Angela! It’s so funny you posted this because I just recently discovered the no meat athlete blog when I was searching for vegan pumpkin bread. I made his and it’s amazing!! So now I have just ordered 2 copies of his book on Amazon and I was pleasantly surprised to see Your cookbook is available for pre-order:). So I also pre-ordered 2 copies of your cookbook and I’m so excited to get it…. Eventually;). You are my absolute favorite blogger, thank you sharing all of your masterful creations:).

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 4, 2013

I love Matt’s blog. He’s vegan bacon is amazing! And he is so inspiring. I’m also a huge fan of hummus so I’ll have to give this a try. I’m already imagining the many different ways to eat it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 4, 2013

Congrats to Matt on his book! I remember reading his site in 2009 when my site was new and all-vegan back then. Love seeing bloggers turn their passion into books!

Katie @ The Almost Vegan October 4, 2013

I cannot wait to try this! And now I might need to rush out and buy Matt’s book! I love his blog and his writing style as well! I also love the note he wrote about this recipe – I feel the same way about buffalo chicken, I don’t miss the chicken but I miss the flavors!

M October 4, 2013

No Meat Athlete is quite fitting… I’m on a ‘special’ diet and really struggle to fuel much activity – I’m too busy prepping / shopping / cooking / baking / eating! Due to various health reasons and general health awareness, I cut back on a lot of things that form a ‘normal’ diet… I seem to have come to the conclusion that moderation is key – so I try and have a little of most things now – being conscious of where it’s come from etc. The problem is – it still doesn’t seem to be enough. Some vegans seem to have loads of nuts/ nut butter, for example, but I just feel uncomfortable having anything in excess… Fats are obviously a great source of calories, but now I’m learning that a lot of people are swearing off oils – or only coconut oil… I’m a little lost, and as you may relate, Angela, it can be easy for being really focused on food to lead to some kind of disorder – I’m trying to keep my balance on this tightrope every day… Any help would be much appreciated! So glad you’re doing well x

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2013

I think you have the right approach M – moderation sounds like it helps you feel balanced. I have heard of the no oil thing too and I personally have NO desire to cut oil out of my diet. Each person has to do what works for them…so keep that in mind and do what makes YOU feel best. Just my two cents.

Randi (laughfrodisiac) October 4, 2013

Hummus is my #1 food, and I put Frank’s in pretty much everything. So I am definitely making this! Thanks for sharing, Matt, & congrats!

Ting October 4, 2013

Oooh this gives me great ideas about how to switch up spices. Have you heard of Chinese Five Spice Powder? That might be a nice Asian variation on the classic hummus!

cindy October 14, 2013

Ting, did you try making it with five spice powder?

Alicia October 4, 2013

Your photography is stunning and that looks delicious. What kind of lens do you use? Also–it is my boyfriend’s birthday today and I’m making him your cinnamon chocolate cupcakes with spiced buttercream frosting and candied maple walnuts!

Happy Fall :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2013

Thank you Alicia! I use a Canon macro 100 mm 2.8. all the specs of my camera equip. are on my FAQ page if you want more info.

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped October 4, 2013

Whoa! This hummus with my Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and I would be in Buffalo style heaven! This is a great recipe, and it’s nice to see Matt over here. I’ve been a fan of him for years!

Dani October 4, 2013

Very inspiring stuff! Thanks for sharing Angela!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 4, 2013

I wish Matt was coming to Toronto too! I love his podcast and listen to it all the time when I’m making food for the blog in my kitchen. This recipe sounds so delicious! I love my hummus with a good kick, and don’t know why I’ve never thought to put hot sauce in it!

Alex @ Kenzie Life October 4, 2013

My last boyfriend was a HUGE fan of buffalo flavored anything (wings, dips, whatever it was he would eat it) but he was also willing to try vegan food (and I got him hooked on Daiya!)…if only I had this recipe back then!

Anaika October 4, 2013

You should post natural skincare and makeup product ideas on here, it’s very hard to find quality natural products.

Katherine October 4, 2013

Yesss this looks delicious!! I put Frank’s hot sauce on everything from mock meat to vegetables. I wonder if my picky boyfriend would even like this…hmmm

Leetra@runningmylife October 4, 2013

That sounds amazing! I feel the exact same way about buffalo chicken… I don’t miss the chicken, I miss the buffalo :). And I love hummus! Thanks for sharing this!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 4, 2013

Love this hummus!! Looks awesome!

Luv What You Do October 4, 2013

This looks soo good!
I am always excited to find new hummus recipes!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} October 4, 2013

I absolutely love Matt and agree wholeheartedly that he is down to earth and makes fitness and a plant based diet easily accessible to everyone.

This hummus is out of this world! I also miss that tangy Buffalo Sauce and love that it is combined with hummus, genius!

I can’t wait to get Matt’s book.

Claire (Eat Well. Party Hard.) October 4, 2013

Totally feel ya on missing buffalo sauce. Because it is the best flavor ever. And it deserves to be slathered over everything.

Bonnie October 5, 2013

Thanks for another great-sounding recipe that I will have to try, a blog that I will have to check out and a book that I will have to order (I have already pre-ordered yours and can hardly wait for it to come out).

Lorin October 5, 2013

It seems like making everything buffalo-sauce-flavored might be a new trend, which I’m really excited about! I’m looking forward to trying this recipe.

Tiffany October 5, 2013

Looks and sounds delicious! I love the bright, vibrant color of the hummus. And thanks for the info on Matt. Sounds like a good blog to follow/book to get!

Emily October 5, 2013

What an amazing looking humus recipe! I love buffalo anything! I often use it in Toffuti and non-dairy cheese recipes to make them taste more authentic. I wonder if this would still be the same without tahini? It’s the only ingredient I don’t have right now….maybe I could substitute something?

Amanda October 12, 2013

I’ve made hummus without tahini plenty of times and it’s still delicious. If you make it and feel like it’s missing that earthy, nutty somethin’ somethin’ try adding a little bit of peanut butter or other nut butter. :)

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables October 5, 2013

This looks like an awesome recipe for my hot-sauce-on-everything boyfriend. I’ve been craving hummus lately too, will have to give it a try soon!

Heather October 6, 2013

I made this last night and I’m enjoying it for lunch today. I didn’t have roasted red peppers so I used half or a regular red pepper. It worked well. I added more Frank’s to the top, along with about a teaspoon of olive oil and some chili pepper flakes. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! Delicious!

Mikayla October 6, 2013

Buffalo wings are what I miss most about giving up meat! Can’t wait to try this hummus. Your photos are gorgeous, Angela, I can’t wait to get your cookbook! I love recipe books with a lot of pictures, and I’m assuming yours will be chock full!

Caitlin October 6, 2013

I’ve never had buffalo chicken (been vegetarian my whole life) but I recently discovered buffalo cauliflower with vegan sauce and oh my god, it’s amazing! This hummus sounds great! Saving that recipe to try. :)

Elizabeth C October 6, 2013

I made this… doubled the franks and added a little cayenne… it is SOOOOO YUMMY

Kathryn October 7, 2013

I did a superbowl cooking class last year and made a buffalo hummus. It was a hit! It is REALLY good on a veggie burger with avocado and tomato!

Ashley October 7, 2013

I have died and gone to hummus heaven, this is fantastic. Absolutely delicious, the whole family loved it!

Page 1 of 212»