The Big ‘Month of Vegan Food’ Round Up

veganelvisbars-9888-2

Seriously, it’s the last day of September? This is crazy talk. And just like that the Month of Vegan Food is drawing to a close. sniff, sniff.

veganglow2

vegan8

As I wrote at the beginning of September, my goal for Vegan Glow was to showcase wholesome, vegetable-heavy vegan recipes that energize and inspire you. Did it work? :) Given that it’s back to school/work season, I tried to share as many quick and easy recipes as I could. Most of the recipes I shared came together in 5-30 minutes. All in all, I think I was successful with my goals, cranking out more healthy recipes this past month than I have since before I started the cookbook. It felt a bit insane posting almost every other day, but I guess that was the point of the challenge! Vegan Mofo renewed my mojo for blogging and introduced me to many talented food bloggers in our awesome community.

From raw recipes and smoothies to healthy desserts and energizing fall-inspired soups, hopefully my recipes this month inspired you to add more vegetables into your life! I always feel my best when I’m eating lots of veggies, so this challenge was motivating for me as well. As a reader mentioned in my first post, there’s plenty of time for holiday goodies in the months to come. True story.

I’ll let you know at the bottom of this post which recipe was my favourite and which one was your favourite (based on amount of clicks the post received). I’ve also highlighted some Veganmofo recipes that caught my eye throughout the month.

1) Pink Power Detox Smoothie                                 2) Ultimate 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich

vegan1

3) Sugar-Free Apple Pie Chia Seed Jam + Parfait      4) Thick and Chunky Tomato Sauce from Scratch

vegan2

5) The Big Chopped Salad                                       6) No Bake Elvis Bars

vegan3

7) Easiest Almond Cookies by Ricki Heller {review}      8) Jumbo Chickpea Pancake

vegan4

9) Lightened Up Raw Pecan Pumpkin Butter         10) Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash w/ Black Bean Guac

vegan5

11) Ultra Creamy Hemp Salad Dressing (nut-free)   12) What Did U Do Fundraiser for Farm Sanctuary

vegan6

13) Luxurious 7-Vegetable and “Cheese” Soup      14) Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie

vegan7

Whew. What a FUN month!

The most popular recipe of the month goes to….

—-> No Bake Elvis Bars <—–  Elvis is rolling over in his grave no doubt.

My personal favourite recipe this month is a tie between my Sugar-Free Apple Pie Chia Seed Jam + Parfait and Ultimate 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich. Holla.

Lastly, here are a handful of delicious recipes that caught my eye throughout the month:

SO MUCH GOOD FOOD and so little time!

1 Shundara@SavyNaturalista September 30, 2013

My favorite were the Elvis bars! I made them and oh gosh they were so good!!! I really enjoyed you posting almost everyday. I am going to miss the daily post they were very inspiring.

2 Angela September 30, 2013

Thank you so much! I’m happy to hear you made the bars too :)

3 Erin @ An Inside Job September 30, 2013

Thanks for all the posts this month! I always like visiting your website and making the recipes I find here. Last night I made an Italian themed delicata squash to go with my very exciting pasta and sauce (ha). Thanks for teaching me how to cook it! It was so cute and easy I will definitely be making it again!

4 Angela September 30, 2013

Aren’t Delicata squash the best? I’ve been roasting them a couple times a week this month. Glad you enjoyed it! I love the idea of it with pasta. :)

5 Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine September 30, 2013

I can’t believe September has come and gone already! The Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash was definitely one of my favorites…I can definitely see it becoming a staple fall dish!
Loved all your posts, thanks!

6 Maura @yellow lemon tree September 30, 2013

I am always amased by how every recipe can end up vegan. Love your pictures :)

7 Heather J September 30, 2013

Hi Angela! Just wanted to say “thank you” for all your great posts this month. I rarely comment but felt the need because I really enjoyed each new post. I made your chunky tomato sauce (twice!), the almond-lime dressing in my own “big salad” and the pecan-pumpkin butter. All winners! I printed out the Elvis bar recipe for future use. Great work!

8 Angela September 30, 2013

Hey Heather, That makes me so happy to hear! Thanks so much for trying them out :)

9 Abby September 30, 2013

I just have to pop in and say that your food and photography are stunning. I never comment because that sounds a bit lame, but I’m always lurking and wishing that you could deliver ;)

10 Angela September 30, 2013

Thank you Abby! It’s a work in progress hah.

11 Emily - It comes naturally blog September 30, 2013

I have to say that the socca was my favourite. I’ve tried to make socca before and wasn’t impressed. I gave it anohter go last night, and I was soooo impressed! Thank you for another wonderful vegan dish to add to my repetoir. Notable mentions to the ‘cheesy’ soup which inspired both parsnip and ‘cheese’ soup, and cauliflower ‘cheese’ soup.

12 Angela September 30, 2013

Hi Emily, So glad you liked the socca! I didn’t have much success with it in the past either, so I can relate.

13 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 30, 2013

Why am I not surprised the Elvis bars was the fave? ;-)

14 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 30, 2013

Everything looks and sounds amazing as always! :)

15 Lindalou September 30, 2013

So much beautiful food! The Pink Power detox smoothie has become a stand-by for me…love the flavours, and the colour always makes me smile!

16 Angela September 30, 2013

Awesome :) I know what you mean about the colour…I still can’t believe it’s all natural!

17 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} September 30, 2013

I loved your frequent post over this past month! Now I just have to get on top of making a bunch of these… so many vegetables, so little time!

18 Janae @ bring joy September 30, 2013

I’d say those Elvis bars were my fave too, but desserts will nearly always beat out any other food (just take a look at pinterest ;) ).

Thanks for the links for the other Vegan Mofo participants. I didn’t follow much of it–but like you, it’s always fun to find new blogs.

19 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 30, 2013

I love all the recipes you posted this month, but I think my favorite is the sandwich. So simple yet incredibly delicious.

Also, thank you so much for mentioning the Lime-Mango Sherbet I shared on my blog!!

20 Angela September 30, 2013

No problem :) I can’t wait to make it!

21 Jessica Noelle Glitterpony September 30, 2013

Honestly, my favorite post included the pig wearing the flower earring. ;)

22 Angela September 30, 2013

hahah!! Oh that stylish lil guy :)

23 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped September 30, 2013

What a great round up for the month! I love these types of posts :)

24 Laurie September 30, 2013

Thanks for all of the gorgeous food posts this month. I’m sure it took a ton of work but I loved checking your site every day! The tex mex spaghetti squash is going to be a new favorite for me and I’m excited to try your butternut cinnamon smoothie! YUM!!!

25 Robin September 30, 2013

I have a jar of the 7 vegetable soup waiting for lunchtime right now. So good and the first time I’ve used nutritional yeast. Definitely going into regular rotation. I’m planning on trying the pink smoothie next. Thanks for the recipes!

26 Angela September 30, 2013

So happy you enjoyed the soup! The nutritional yeast really adds a little something special to soup. It’s good on popcorn and roasted veggies too :)

27 Carmi September 30, 2013

Wow, it has been a whirl wind month! For me, I have cooked everyone of the nutrient dense meals you created for MoFo! Thank you, the leftovers are bountiful, and no cooking until they are all gone. It will feel like I am on vacation. All of them will be added to my collection of fav meals to make, and devour!! The ultra creamy hemp salad dressing is going to be regular topping for everything. Ha!

28 Angela September 30, 2013

Seriously??? wow!! That’s amazing…I’m in awe. Thanks so much for trying them out!

29 The Vegan Cookie Fairy September 30, 2013

All of these look. so. good. I can’t believe I haven’t tried them yet. But that chopped salad is calling my name. I’m getting hungry just thinking of it.

30 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 30, 2013

I loved this month on OSG!! So many amazing recipes! I made half of them!!

31 Angela September 30, 2013

Thank you Christine! hope u enjoyed them :)

32 lindsay September 30, 2013

These are all awesome. In the past I related vegan with ‘bland and boring,’ but you totally changed my mind with these recipes. I thought making delicious vegan meals would be too tough, but I am loving all these recipes. Hellooooo apple pie & chia seed parfait :D

33 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 30, 2013

It’s been awesome seeing more posts from you this month and it felt like such a gift to have you back here more often :) I have loved seeing the recipes, and seeing all your photography – so many recipes and photos in one month compared to your more recent pace – and it’s just been mindblowing to see how amazing your photography is, Angela! Thanks for indulging us all in a great month!

34 Carol Bruneau September 30, 2013

Love your take on vegan meals. Like you said, quick and easy. I tried your Tex-Mex Spaghetti Squash with Black Bean Guac – Delish! I have the Jumbo Chickpea Pancake earmarked to try next.

Thank you for the inspiration and the tools to make it happen.

Carol

35 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 30, 2013

Love love love all the posting you are doing, keep them coming talented woman!

36 Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget September 30, 2013

I loved you month of vegan food. I think that you did an excellent job showing how easy and delicious eating a plant- based diet can be. Your recipes are inspiring and I love seeing them!

37 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 30, 2013

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been an entire month since you posted about your upcoming month of posts! I’ve really enjoyed seeing all the new recipes :)

38 Lara September 30, 2013

I really really enjoyed the back to back recipes this month! It went by really fast..
The 7 veggie soup was my favorite, although I really like some of the others too.
Keep em coming!

39 Giovanna September 30, 2013

Thank you for so many wonderful recipes, I have been making one at the time, and each one is as good or better than the other one, the apple chia jam parfait was one of my favorites, but I also loved the tomato sauce from scratch that I paired it with spaghetti squash …was wonderful to see so many yummy recipes this month! Thant you again !

40 Annamarie Behring September 30, 2013

Thank you so much Angela. I have been enjoying your website immensely. Keep up the awesome work!

41 Lindsay at Kitchen Operas September 30, 2013

Thanks for sharing my Kale & Garlic Scape Hummus :) It was definitely a winner!

I have REALLY LOVED all the recipes you’ve posted this month, they all look TO DIE FOR and I have a big queue waiting for me on Pinterest!

42 Angela September 30, 2013

I can’t wait to make that hummus…next time I get my hands on some scapes it’s going to happen! I made a pesto with them before and it was killer. Might have to add some basil too!
Loved your hummus theme…I couldn’t believe all the other great ideas you still had in mind! Hope to see more of them :)

43 Lindsay at Kitchen Operas October 1, 2013

I know it’s going to be a while for fresh scapes, but I managed to get some pickled scapes from my veggie box folks, so I’m going to give it a go “off-season” :) Basil sounds like a dream added to the hummus.

Garlic scape pesto is one of my favourite things. I’ve got some in the freezer for when we hit the dead of winter and need a little pick-me-up.

I swear, we had so many ideas we could have done a year of hummus… but happy for a little hummus break right now, and we’ll do more hummus recipes on the blog in the future for sure.

44 Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 30, 2013

all of this looks amazing, but that raw pecan pumpkin butter would totally hit the spot right now!

45 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! September 30, 2013

I loved following along, Angela! Since vegan MoFo now over I can get cooking!

46 Eating 4 Balance September 30, 2013

Holy cow. I feel like you were just saying that you were going to make it a goal to participate in MOFO this year and Eric doubted your abilities… Haha. You did an awesome job and produced some spectacular recipes!

47 luminousvegans September 30, 2013

Whew, vegan MoFo definitely made me hungry like ALL the time. I have so many things that I wanna make now including your no bake Elvis bars. Thanks so much for including my link! It is much appreciated.

48 Caitlin September 30, 2013

All of these looked amazing — I think my favourite though was the ultimate 4 layer sandwich — combined 4 of my favourite foods!

49 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 30, 2013

I loved every one of your September posts, Ange! You did such a great job on each and every recipe, and it was so great to hear from you so regularly again (although I totally get why you needed the break! You’ve been a busy lady!!) I’m still drooling over the no-bake Elvis bars, and the butternut smoothie is on my list of must-try fall drinks. I’ve been smoothie-ing like crazy lately!

50 Elizabeth~Hippy Mom September 30, 2013

Just wondering if you could help me with my metaphysical thought of replicating Earth Cafe vegan cheesecake found at WF any flavor. Thanks – Namaste and all the other beautiful celestial salutations to you and your energy!

51 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 30, 2013

Oh my, my, my. Too much good food in one place. I will definitely have to give the Elvis bars a try. Delicious.

52 Randi (laughfrodisiac) September 30, 2013

Congrats on finishing your first MoFo! I can’t believe September is over either.

53 Bex @ Vegan Sparkles September 30, 2013

Thank you so much for including me in your round-up, Angela! How much delicious fun is Vegan Mofo! :) I’m a little bummed it’s over but now I have so many more recipes, inspiration and ideas I can’t wait to try out (oh SO much incredible talent!) and your Apple Pie Parfait is at the top of my list! xx

54 Abby September 30, 2013

This was my favorite collection of posts you’ve ever done! I mean, I’m an avid reader and love all of your stuff, but I think I pinned almost all of these as they were posted.

I’m not even vegan, but am a true veggie lover and tend toward a vegan diet by preference (except for eggs… gotta have ’em), so these recipes blew me away!

One question about hemp seeds/hearts: Where do you buy yours? I need to check the bulk bins at Sprouts and Central Market to see if they carry them. I want to make the veggie sandwich with the hummus!

55 Sherry September 30, 2013

Thanks so much for all of the delicious recipes and congrats on hitting your goal. Sadly I didn’t get to make them all, but I tried hard and managed to get through a good chunk of them – the smoothie (several times!!), the hummus (my favourite – oh so good), the tomato sauce, the raw pumpkin butter (good on apples, and better on pancakes), the apple pie chia jam (also good on pancakes and oatmeal), a slightly modified version of the chopped salad and last but not least the squash salad is in the fridge ready for lunch tomorrow. Phew!

56 Kara October 1, 2013

Thank you for all the posts this month. September has been my first month of being vegan and a huge part of my success has been your blog! Your recipes are educating and inspiring. I cannot wait until your cookbook is out. Truly, thank you for your help. It has meant the world to me :)

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2013

Congrats Kara! I’m so happy you found my blog useful :)

58 Mrs G October 1, 2013

I’ve made the tomato sauce on zucchini pasta at least 3 times…. definitely one of the best sauces I’ve eaten so far!

59 Carol Kantor October 1, 2013

Your September posts were so much fun!! Thank you Angela! I am so excited for your cookbook launch, can hardly wait until March! Will your cookbook be available through your site as well as through retailers in Canada?

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2013

Thank you Carol! Yes, it will be available in retailers in Canada like Indigo, Chapters, etc.

61 Emily K. @ Leaf Parade October 1, 2013

You killed it! I made the lightened-up pumpkin butter with walnuts and it was incredible! Today’s project is to take on the apple chia seed jam with all those apples I picked over the weekend. Thanks! : )

62 emily q October 3, 2013

I just had to say I love your website. Im always telling my family that they need to check out your recipes. Your amazing! Thanks for sharing so much great stuff!

63 Eliza October 3, 2013

You’re photography skills are nothing short of amazing. I can’t wait to try all of these amazing recipes. I definitely have my eye on the apple pie parfait!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2013

Thank you so much Eliza!

65 Elisabeth October 6, 2013

I love pasta so my favorite was absolutely the tomato sauce, so yummy!

66 Kath @ Natural Kath October 7, 2013

I always love a tasty photo collage. :)

67 Anna October 8, 2013

Your two favorites of the month were also my two favorites! I’ve made both the Apple Pie Chia Seed Jam and the 4-Layer Sandwich over and over this past month…so so good! I am a new vegan (just about two months now!), and your blog has been so incredibly useful with this transition. Thank you so much for all of your delicious recipes!!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2013

Hey Anna, So happy to hear that! Thanks for your kind words :)