Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

butternutsquashsmoothie 1070b   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

I can’t think of a better way to ring in this beautiful fall weekend than to make this creamy smoothie packed of good-for-you ingredients. It’s a spin off my popular Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two and as much as I love the previous smoothie, this one wins by a landslide. This version today is also made without banana, so those of you who asked for a banana-free version will be able to enjoy it too. I got your back!

Instead of going the pumpkin route, I decided to make use of some freshly roasted butternut squash –always a good idea! Roasted squash tastes downright dreamy in this smoothie, but if you want to use canned puréed squash that should work just fine too. Just promise me you’ll get this in your belly stat.

butternutsquash   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

To sweeten the smoothie naturally, I used “nature’s candy” – otherwise known as Medjool dates. Soft, juicy, plump, with notes of caramel, what’s not to love? Spices like cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and ginger take it over the top. Eric said, “This would be great served at a Thanksgiving brunch.” I would have to agree; that is, if they can pry it from your death grip…

cinnamondate   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

butternutsquashsmoothie 1043   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

print icon   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

Creamy, velvety, and downright dreamy this is the perfect smoothie to kick off the fall season and make use of roasted butternut squash! This batch makes a generous amount - enough for two glasses to share with a loved one (or one thirsty smoothie maker!). You can also make this for a Thanksgiving brunch and share it with a crowd. It would make a lovely addition to any breakfast. If you'd like to use canned squash that should work fine too. I would use a bit less, about 3/4-1 cup of purée, adding to taste. It probably goes without saying, but pumpkin would be a nice substitute for butternut. Adapted from Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two.

Yield
3.5 cups (2 glasses)
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup + 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup (packed) roasted butternut squash or 3/4-1 cup canned puréed squash
  • 3-4 large Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
  • 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • sprinkle of ground cloves
  • 5-6 large ice cubes, or as needed

Directions:

1. To cook the squash: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the stem off the squash (optional) and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Brush a bit of oil on the squash and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place squash on the baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 35-50 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown on the bottom. Allow to cool.
  2. For the smoothie: Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed. Serve immediately & enjoy!

Note: To make this nut-free, use a nut-free non-dairy milk such as coconut or soy milk.

squashsmoothie   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

P.S. – Thank you a million times over! Find out more about farm Sanctuary’s “What Did U Do?” campaign in Monday’s post.

Happy weekend!

400x84 g12 thumb   Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 27, 2013

This is so creative! I adore butternut squash, but for some reason have never thought to include it in a smoothie. Will be making this for sure! Is there a reason you stabbed the inside of the squash with a fork? I always pierce through the skin if I’m going to microwave to soften before cutting, but don’t stab the inside when roasting …

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2013

Oh the stabbing happened post-roasting. :) Just to check around to see if it was cooked through. But it made me wonder if making some holes in it pre-roasting would speed along the process…

Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 27, 2013

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks, Angela!

Tanya @ playful and hungry September 29, 2013

That’s the way I always do it, too! =)

Jamie @lifelovelemons September 27, 2013

I want these in my belly right now! LOVE butternut squash and adore the idea of it in a smoothie!

Lindsay September 27, 2013

I’ve recently been thinking of using frozen cubed butternut squash in a smoothie and I’m glad you’ve taste tested for me and confirmed its definitely a good idea!

Jesse @OutToLunchC September 27, 2013

This looks delicious, I love how you used dates instead of bananas. Recently I have been drinking Apple Pie smoothies for breakfast but this will be a nice change. I imagine it would be delicious slightly heated as a warm smoothie in the winter or as a dessert with granola sprinkled on top.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 27, 2013

Oh my goodness…you used dates AND squash! You are queen of culinary awesome! Putting dates on the grocery list!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 27, 2013

This is beautiful Ange! I love me some of the b-nut and have been incorporating it as much as possible these days, but have yet to throw it in a smoothie! This looks so delicious, and perfect for fall. Can’t wait to give it a try!

Shundara@SavyNaturalista September 27, 2013

Great way to start the season, I love the color of the smoothie very bright and ready to drink..

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 27, 2013

We must be on the same brain wavelength because I was JUST thinking about a butternut squash smoothie! Also, dates are my favorite sweetener by FAR!

Jesse September 27, 2013

sounds rich and delicious! oh and i made a pumpkin pie milkshake!

Amanda September 27, 2013

What a fun, unique recipe! I love the versatility of smoothies, but would have never thought of using butternut squash. I can’t wait to try this!

Runner Girl Eats September 27, 2013

I am butternut squash obsessed but have never thought to have it in a smoothie. I might need to give this a go!

dishing up the dirt September 27, 2013

We finally have butternut squash at our farm. Can’t wait to whip up this smoothie. Thanks for another lovely recipe Angela!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 27, 2013

How unique! I would’ve never thought to put butternut squash in a smoothie before. Sounds amazing!

Eating 4 Balance September 27, 2013

I bet this would be amazing with kabocha squash too! I probably it even more than traditional pumpkin because it’s naturally so much sweeter.

Emily - It comes naturally blog September 27, 2013

when I saw the picture on Facebook i thought it was the soup again. Definitely going to be getting our beta carotene on!

Emma September 27, 2013

This looks mighty tasty! I have about 1/4 of a butternut left, going to roast it and hope it’s enough for a smoothie for 1!

Laura Hall September 27, 2013

I love using winter squash or sweet potatoes to make smoothies even creamier! I stated doing butternut a few years ago when I broke my jaw (I couldn’t only drink my carbs!). It was similar to this, but I used frozen cherries instead of dates. It was like a Cherry Bomb!

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ September 27, 2013

Uhm… so tempting! Never used squash to make a smoothie, sounds very cool!

Elisabeth September 27, 2013

I am so excited for this! I do love the pumpkin smoothie, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I love the idea of dates instead of banana and leaving out the oatmeal.

Kylie - FotV September 27, 2013

This sounds so rich and delicious! I think I have all the ingredients on had too!

dana September 27, 2013

And then I was all like “WHOA GIMME THAT SMOOTHIE.” Brilliant!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

hah…I’d make an exception and share with you!

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 27, 2013

It looks great and it could almost double as a soup if it was served warm. Or serve it as a chilled soup. Or as a dip with toasted bread. This is SUCH a versatile recipe, Angela. Love it. Pinned!

Erin @ An Inside Job September 27, 2013

This looks delicious! I am so glad there are so many uses for winter squash. I am always looking for more.

Thanks to you as well for teaching me how to cook a squash! Whenever I tried to make them before they were only half cooked and hard…mmm? Keep up the awesome work!

Melanie September 27, 2013

I’ve never cooked a squash before but I was determined to try it this weekend to make baby food…and now a second use for leftovers that looks amazing. Very excited! Thanks for the recipe.

Alexandra @ Made to Glow September 27, 2013

This is gorgeous! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I was also wondering what recipe plug-in you use? It looks great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

Thank you :) My husband created the plug in for my blog!

Caitlin Vail September 27, 2013

This looks fantastic! I am planning a surprise Fall bike ride/picnic with my husband. Is this something I can make the night before and keep in the fridge until the next day?

I saw you said to serve immediately so I just want to make sure.

Thanks :)

P.S. I have tried quite a few of your recipes and I absolutely love every single one of them (and have even made them multiple times)! Thanks for inspiring me :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

Hey Caitlin, Yes I do think making it the night before would be fine! Just give it a good stir in the AM. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 27, 2013

Perfect fall smoothie! Looks absolutely wonderful Angela.

BYOL September 27, 2013

Looks delicious! I make a similar smoothie with sweet potato!

Jessica L. September 27, 2013

I cannot get dates to completely blend in smoothies! Any tips or tricks? I have a blendtec, so it’s pretty powerful. I even tried soaking them for about an hour before use.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

I blend dates for a longer time…just let the blender run a good minute, but I find in the Vitamix they do pulverize completely if I give it a good whirl.

Afton September 29, 2013

I’ve noticed that if I put the dates with a little liquid in the the blender and let them go for a while, like a full minute, and then add the rest of the smoothie ingredients, it gets pretty smooth. And i don’t even have a nice blender!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 27, 2013

This looks sooo good!! Yum!

Victoria September 27, 2013

It looks yummy and healthy. I will try to make it. Love your blog.

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! September 27, 2013

This looks amazing! I just need to find a plus one to share it with :)

Jay Scott September 28, 2013

Anything with dates and cinnamon is going to be great. Sounds like a great smoothie for Fall! I’m a huge squash fan too so I’m going to have to try this!

Jay

slywlf September 28, 2013

Ooh! Yumminess in a glass! Best of all I just happen to be o=well into my annual squash binge, thanks to my local farm stand, and have a couple beauties I hadn’t decided what to do with…. ;-)
PS I had originally subscribed via email, and just switched to RSS so if you notice that your email sub list dropped I haven’t gone anywhere, just revised my access method. ;-)

Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 28, 2013

this looks like such a yummy treat, and so perfect for fall too!

YoungMild&Free September 28, 2013

This sounds like such a great fall treat! Can’t wait to try!

xx
youngmildandfree.com

Tanya @ playful and hungry September 29, 2013

Looks delicious!!! =)

detalle September 29, 2013

This recipe seems great, very original I’ve never seen before, thanks a lot and congrats for this blog

Michelle September 29, 2013

Anyone have thoughts on whether this could be turned into a pudding or custard?

Elyse @ Lizzie Fit September 29, 2013

What an awesome idea for leftover bnut squash! My bf doesn’t like it so I buy it for myself and sometimes it goes to waste. This is perfect :)

Page 1 of 212»