Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

butternutsquashsmoothie-1070b

I can’t think of a better way to ring in this beautiful fall weekend than to make this creamy smoothie packed of good-for-you ingredients. It’s a spin off my popular Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two and as much as I love the previous smoothie, this one wins by a landslide. This version today is also made without banana, so those of you who asked for a banana-free version will be able to enjoy it too. I got your back!

Instead of going the pumpkin route, I decided to make use of some freshly roasted butternut squash –always a good idea! Roasted squash tastes downright dreamy in this smoothie, but if you want to use canned puréed squash that should work just fine too. Just promise me you’ll get this in your belly stat.

butternutsquash

To sweeten the smoothie naturally, I used “nature’s candy” – otherwise known as Medjool dates. Soft, juicy, plump, with notes of caramel, what’s not to love? Spices like cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and ginger take it over the top. Eric said, “This would be great served at a Thanksgiving brunch.” I would have to agree; that is, if they can pry it from your death grip…

cinnamondate

butternutsquashsmoothie-1043

5 from 7 reviews

Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

Creamy, velvety, and downright dreamy this is the perfect smoothie to kick off the fall season and make use of roasted butternut squash! This batch makes a generous amount - enough for two glasses to share with a loved one (or one thirsty smoothie maker!). You can also make this for a Thanksgiving brunch and share it with a crowd. It would make a lovely addition to any breakfast. If you'd like to use canned squash that should work fine too. I would use a bit less, about 3/4-1 cup of purée, adding to taste. It probably goes without saying, but pumpkin would be a nice substitute for butternut. Adapted from Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two.

Yield
3.5 cups (2 glasses)
Prep Time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup + 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup (packed) roasted butternut squash or 3/4-1 cup canned puréed squash
  • 3-4 large Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
  • 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • sprinkle of ground cloves
  • 5-6 large ice cubes, or as needed

Directions:

1. To cook the squash: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the stem off the squash (optional) and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Brush a bit of oil on the squash and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place squash on the baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 35-50 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown on the bottom. Allow to cool.
  2. For the smoothie: Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed. Serve immediately & enjoy!

Tips:

Note: To make this nut-free, use a nut-free non-dairy milk such as coconut or soy milk.

squashsmoothie

P.S. – Thank you a million times over! Find out more about farm Sanctuary’s “What Did U Do?” campaign in Monday’s post.

Happy weekend!

400x84_g1[2]

Page 2 of 2«12
Amy October 29, 2016

Looks delicious

Federica October 11, 2016

Please sign me up for newsletter

Angela Liddon October 11, 2016

Hi Frederica, You can sign up for the newsletter here. If you have any trouble, please let us know! :)

Faye Michelle October 9, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made this before and it was delicious, I eventually added some hummus and it was even yummier! Today I’m going to pour it over some quinoa and give that a test!

Anastasia September 10, 2016
Recipe Rating:

oooh that sounds good. I still have a big can of pumpkin in the pantry awaiting its fate.

The sage is beautiful in your photo!

Susy Tavares January 4, 2016

Hello!

Where did you purchase those adorable jars with the wire handles you have for
the butternut squash smoothie…?

Thanks!

Susy:)

Colleen November 5, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I am presently sipping on this (sans ice cubes since my blender is a weenie) and it is SO delicious and tasty and yummy and scrumptious and slurperiffic. Thank you!

Anna Lee October 29, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I had some leftover butternut squash to use so I decided to give this a whirl. It was delicious! Wonderful smoothie recipe for the fall!

katherine May 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This is a great recipe. Thanks!

riann April 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This is heavenly! Tastes like a fall-themed milk shake. So delicious and the very best part is it is so nutritious. I added goji berry powder.

YUM! THANK YOU!

Chelsea April 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Loved this! Thanks for the great recipe. I used frozen butternut squash (for ease) and it was still so tasty:)

Anne February 25, 2015

I never thought of putting Butternut Squash, or as us Aussie’s call it; Butternut Pumpkin, in a smoothie before. Sounds interesting and worth a try, thanks for sharing.

Niki January 5, 2015

I am in love with your website and blog – my husband, mom, and I all tried our first Green Monster yesterday and today!! We loved it! So, I have never had butternut squash in a can before – in a pinch it might be good to have it on hand. Do you not need to cook that at all, or do you still cook that for this smoothie?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2015

Hi Niki,

Thanks you, I’m glad you liked the smoothie. No you don’t have to cook the canned puree butternut squash before going into the smoothie.

Carly July 13, 2014

Just made it with a leftover sweet potato from last night! Perfect way to start my morning! The kids I babysit were crazy about it! Said it tasted like pumpkin pie. And they are super picky eaters:)
Thanks!!!!

Lilla May 11, 2014

Just made this! It’s delicious, very filling too.

toni December 12, 2013

Where in a walmart do I find chai seeds and ground cloves? Or are these ingedients I’d have to ask a WholeFoods employee for?

Thanks a bunch,
Noob trying to get veggies in my family for the first time. ;)

Kaylan December 12, 2013

This smoothie looks so amazing. I love date smoothies, thanks for the creative ideas! :)

Jemay November 17, 2013

Hi! Are those mason jars custom made? Do you make them? Thank you for the healthy recipes! You’re the bomb!

Val October 29, 2013

I have made several of your recipes since I discovered you a week ago. Wow! The endurance crackers are terrific and rich (filling).
I adored the photos!
I also adore butternut squash..however, I made this according to the directions……
It is definitely missing something. While other people talk about how deliscious something is having never made it. I only comment after actually doing it.
Mind you, I hate dates but figured these would add the right sweetness. They did. It was like soup only cold and that was weird. Kiddos concurred.
How can we take this up a notch? Fresh Cranberries for a hint of sour and a pinch of cardamom? You are the flavor magician.
And skip the ice cubes! my two cents, anyway……..

joahnnne February 28, 2014

I was really interested to see your comment, I also prefer to read comments from people who have actually tried the recipe and I was wondering if it would taste like cold soup. I love squash but but sure that I will love it in a smoothie.

Judi October 20, 2013

I tried this appealing smoothie recipe without the ice. I garnished the creamy pudding with a spoonful of toasted oates, walnuts, pecans, pinenuts, a pinch or two of organic can sugar and cinnamon – delicious!

Elzemarie October 20, 2013

Just made it, but a warm version, as i didn’t have icecubes. Fresh from the oven, hot almond milk and a bit less cinnamon. Really fantastic warming smoothie for a wet autumn sunday! Tnx

Lisa Schlesinger October 15, 2013

I sent this recipe to my best friend before visiting her for the weekend. She made this and we both thought it was the BOMB!! So good. Fast forward to today…..I cooked my squash, and told darling husband I will be picking up dates tomorrow for this and can’t wait for him to taste it. Oh I hope he likes it as much as I did.

Melissa MacDonald October 15, 2013

Thank you! I am going to make this for breakfast tomorrow. I am roasting the squash now!!!

Rebecca October 11, 2013

My partner is the same as Elyse’s, he wont eat pumpkin but I reckon I can get him over the line with that amazing recipe.

Mandy October 7, 2013

This is DELICIOUS!!!

adrian October 5, 2013

Can I just tell you that I’ve made this THREE separate times since I found this recipe a few days ago?! IT.IS.AMAZING! It’s like just eating the filling in a pumpkin/b’squash pie. I can’t get enough of it! Thanks so much for creating it and sharing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2013

I’m so happy you love it so much Adrian!

Christine (The Raw Project) October 3, 2013

This looks and sounds heavenly for fall, thanks!

Kathy October 2, 2013

Yummmmm! Made this today, and it was so good. I never would have thought to use butternut squash in a smoothie. You are so inventive!
I didn’t have any dates, so I used a little maple syrup instead, and it was very delicious. I too have had problems getting dates to blend up in my vitamix but from reading your reply above it sounds like I just haven’t let them whirl around in there long enough.
Thank you for another awesome recipe!

Robin October 2, 2013

I used frozen butternut squash, omitted ice cubes and added hemp milk in lieu of almond….very good and quick! Thank you!

aubrey October 1, 2013

Hi! did you remove the skin before putting the butternut squash in the blender? I don’t see you making any note of that…

Thanks!

Gemma October 1, 2013

This was amazing! I roasted the Butternut for dinner last night and there was plenty left over for this shake. Feels like I am eating a caramel milk shake.

blender dude October 1, 2013

Awesome smoothie recipe and exquisite photos. And you are right, just perfect for Fall.

Melissa Campbell September 30, 2013

I have half a delicata (honeyboat) squash leftover from the 7-vegetable “cheese” soup, and i was wondering if you think I could roast it (unpeeled?) and use it in place of the butternut for this smoothie?

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 30, 2013

Sounds delicious! I’m wondering if it would work as a dessert too, maybe with a bit less milk for more of a “pudding” consistency?

Elena Perez September 30, 2013

Delicious & simple to make! Thank you Angela!

Nora September 30, 2013

So comforting! Just had for breakfast! I will use more butternut squash next time though.

Joan September 30, 2013

Can we use raw pumpkin instead of cooked?

Leah @ Dinendash September 30, 2013

This looks like the perfect fall smoothie! I can’t wait to give it a try! Yum!

Audrey September 29, 2013

Hi Angela. The recipe looks and sounds delicious, but I was wondering if Stevia can be substituted for the dates for sweetness or do the dates also serve as a thickener? I’m a college student so I’m trying to work with what I have on hand. Also do you think if I used pumpkin purée and added pumpkin pie spice I could make a pumpkin pie vegan smoothie? Thanks!!

Amy September 29, 2013

We had this this morning and it was delightful! So we made it again for dessert this evening only my husband wanted to try it with a baked sweet potato instead and it was also really good that way. Added a dash of nutmeg too. Great recipe a little like butterscotch pudding only way better.

Cindy T. September 29, 2013

This tasted fantastic! I used fresh ginger instead since I had some. Thanks for another keeper!