Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two

butternutsquashsmoothie-1070b

I can’t think of a better way to ring in this beautiful fall weekend than to make this creamy smoothie packed of good-for-you ingredients. It’s a spin off my popular Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two and as much as I love the previous smoothie, this one wins by a landslide. This version today is also made without banana, so those of you who asked for a banana-free version will be able to enjoy it too. I got your back!

Instead of going the pumpkin route, I decided to make use of some freshly roasted butternut squash –always a good idea! Roasted squash tastes downright dreamy in this smoothie, but if you want to use canned puréed squash that should work just fine too. Just promise me you’ll get this in your belly stat.

butternutsquash

To sweeten the smoothie naturally, I used “nature’s candy” – otherwise known as Medjool dates. Soft, juicy, plump, with notes of caramel, what’s not to love? Spices like cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and ginger take it over the top. Eric said, “This would be great served at a Thanksgiving brunch.” I would have to agree; that is, if they can pry it from your death grip…

cinnamondate

butternutsquashsmoothie-1043

Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 5 reviews

Creamy, velvety, and downright dreamy this is the perfect smoothie to kick off the fall season and make use of roasted butternut squash! This batch makes a generous amount - enough for two glasses to share with a loved one (or one thirsty smoothie maker!). You can also make this for a Thanksgiving brunch and share it with a crowd. It would make a lovely addition to any breakfast. If you'd like to use canned squash that should work fine too. I would use a bit less, about 3/4-1 cup of purée, adding to taste. It probably goes without saying, but pumpkin would be a nice substitute for butternut. Adapted from Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two.

Yield
3.5 cups (2 glasses)
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup + 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup (packed) roasted butternut squash or 3/4-1 cup canned puréed squash
  • 3-4 large Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
  • 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • sprinkle of ground cloves
  • 5-6 large ice cubes, or as needed

Directions:

1. To cook the squash: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the stem off the squash (optional) and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Brush a bit of oil on the squash and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place squash on the baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 35-50 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown on the bottom. Allow to cool.
  2. For the smoothie: Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed. Serve immediately & enjoy!

Tips:

Note: To make this nut-free, use a nut-free non-dairy milk such as coconut or soy milk.

squashsmoothie

P.S. – Thank you a million times over! Find out more about farm Sanctuary’s “What Did U Do?” campaign in Monday’s post.

Happy weekend!

400x84_g1[2]

1 Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 27, 2013

This is so creative! I adore butternut squash, but for some reason have never thought to include it in a smoothie. Will be making this for sure! Is there a reason you stabbed the inside of the squash with a fork? I always pierce through the skin if I’m going to microwave to soften before cutting, but don’t stab the inside when roasting …

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2013

Oh the stabbing happened post-roasting. :) Just to check around to see if it was cooked through. But it made me wonder if making some holes in it pre-roasting would speed along the process…

3 Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 27, 2013

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks, Angela!

4 Tanya @ playful and hungry September 29, 2013

That’s the way I always do it, too! =)

5 Jamie @lifelovelemons September 27, 2013

I want these in my belly right now! LOVE butternut squash and adore the idea of it in a smoothie!

6 Lindsay September 27, 2013

I’ve recently been thinking of using frozen cubed butternut squash in a smoothie and I’m glad you’ve taste tested for me and confirmed its definitely a good idea!

7 Jesse @OutToLunchC September 27, 2013

This looks delicious, I love how you used dates instead of bananas. Recently I have been drinking Apple Pie smoothies for breakfast but this will be a nice change. I imagine it would be delicious slightly heated as a warm smoothie in the winter or as a dessert with granola sprinkled on top.

8 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 27, 2013

Oh my goodness…you used dates AND squash! You are queen of culinary awesome! Putting dates on the grocery list!

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 27, 2013

This is beautiful Ange! I love me some of the b-nut and have been incorporating it as much as possible these days, but have yet to throw it in a smoothie! This looks so delicious, and perfect for fall. Can’t wait to give it a try!

10 Shundara@SavyNaturalista September 27, 2013

Great way to start the season, I love the color of the smoothie very bright and ready to drink..

11 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 27, 2013

We must be on the same brain wavelength because I was JUST thinking about a butternut squash smoothie! Also, dates are my favorite sweetener by FAR!

12 Jesse September 27, 2013

sounds rich and delicious! oh and i made a pumpkin pie milkshake!

13 Amanda September 27, 2013

What a fun, unique recipe! I love the versatility of smoothies, but would have never thought of using butternut squash. I can’t wait to try this!

14 Runner Girl Eats September 27, 2013

I am butternut squash obsessed but have never thought to have it in a smoothie. I might need to give this a go!

15 dishing up the dirt September 27, 2013

We finally have butternut squash at our farm. Can’t wait to whip up this smoothie. Thanks for another lovely recipe Angela!

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 27, 2013

How unique! I would’ve never thought to put butternut squash in a smoothie before. Sounds amazing!

17 Eating 4 Balance September 27, 2013

I bet this would be amazing with kabocha squash too! I probably it even more than traditional pumpkin because it’s naturally so much sweeter.

18 Emily - It comes naturally blog September 27, 2013

when I saw the picture on Facebook i thought it was the soup again. Definitely going to be getting our beta carotene on!

19 Emma September 27, 2013

This looks mighty tasty! I have about 1/4 of a butternut left, going to roast it and hope it’s enough for a smoothie for 1!

20 Laura Hall September 27, 2013

I love using winter squash or sweet potatoes to make smoothies even creamier! I stated doing butternut a few years ago when I broke my jaw (I couldn’t only drink my carbs!). It was similar to this, but I used frozen cherries instead of dates. It was like a Cherry Bomb!

21 Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ September 27, 2013

Uhm… so tempting! Never used squash to make a smoothie, sounds very cool!

22 Elisabeth September 27, 2013

I am so excited for this! I do love the pumpkin smoothie, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I love the idea of dates instead of banana and leaving out the oatmeal.

23 Kylie - FotV September 27, 2013

This sounds so rich and delicious! I think I have all the ingredients on had too!

24 dana September 27, 2013

And then I was all like “WHOA GIMME THAT SMOOTHIE.” Brilliant!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

hah…I’d make an exception and share with you!

26 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 27, 2013

It looks great and it could almost double as a soup if it was served warm. Or serve it as a chilled soup. Or as a dip with toasted bread. This is SUCH a versatile recipe, Angela. Love it. Pinned!

27 Erin @ An Inside Job September 27, 2013

This looks delicious! I am so glad there are so many uses for winter squash. I am always looking for more.

Thanks to you as well for teaching me how to cook a squash! Whenever I tried to make them before they were only half cooked and hard…mmm? Keep up the awesome work!

28 Melanie September 27, 2013

I’ve never cooked a squash before but I was determined to try it this weekend to make baby food…and now a second use for leftovers that looks amazing. Very excited! Thanks for the recipe.

29 Alexandra @ Made to Glow September 27, 2013

This is gorgeous! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I was also wondering what recipe plug-in you use? It looks great.

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

Thank you :) My husband created the plug in for my blog!

31 Caitlin Vail September 27, 2013

This looks fantastic! I am planning a surprise Fall bike ride/picnic with my husband. Is this something I can make the night before and keep in the fridge until the next day?

I saw you said to serve immediately so I just want to make sure.

Thanks :)

P.S. I have tried quite a few of your recipes and I absolutely love every single one of them (and have even made them multiple times)! Thanks for inspiring me :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

Hey Caitlin, Yes I do think making it the night before would be fine! Just give it a good stir in the AM. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

33 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 27, 2013

Perfect fall smoothie! Looks absolutely wonderful Angela.

34 BYOL September 27, 2013

Looks delicious! I make a similar smoothie with sweet potato!

35 Jessica L. September 27, 2013

I cannot get dates to completely blend in smoothies! Any tips or tricks? I have a blendtec, so it’s pretty powerful. I even tried soaking them for about an hour before use.

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2013

I blend dates for a longer time…just let the blender run a good minute, but I find in the Vitamix they do pulverize completely if I give it a good whirl.

37 Afton September 29, 2013

I’ve noticed that if I put the dates with a little liquid in the the blender and let them go for a while, like a full minute, and then add the rest of the smoothie ingredients, it gets pretty smooth. And i don’t even have a nice blender!

38 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 27, 2013

This looks sooo good!! Yum!

39 Victoria September 27, 2013

It looks yummy and healthy. I will try to make it. Love your blog.

40 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! September 27, 2013

This looks amazing! I just need to find a plus one to share it with :)

41 Jay Scott September 28, 2013

Anything with dates and cinnamon is going to be great. Sounds like a great smoothie for Fall! I’m a huge squash fan too so I’m going to have to try this!

Jay

42 slywlf September 28, 2013

Ooh! Yumminess in a glass! Best of all I just happen to be o=well into my annual squash binge, thanks to my local farm stand, and have a couple beauties I hadn’t decided what to do with…. ;-)
PS I had originally subscribed via email, and just switched to RSS so if you notice that your email sub list dropped I haven’t gone anywhere, just revised my access method. ;-)

43 Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 28, 2013

this looks like such a yummy treat, and so perfect for fall too!

44 YoungMild&Free September 28, 2013

This sounds like such a great fall treat! Can’t wait to try!

xx
youngmildandfree.com

45 Tanya @ playful and hungry September 29, 2013

Looks delicious!!! =)

46 detalle September 29, 2013

This recipe seems great, very original I’ve never seen before, thanks a lot and congrats for this blog

47 Michelle September 29, 2013

Anyone have thoughts on whether this could be turned into a pudding or custard?

48 Elyse @ Lizzie Fit September 29, 2013

What an awesome idea for leftover bnut squash! My bf doesn’t like it so I buy it for myself and sometimes it goes to waste. This is perfect :)

49 Cindy T. September 29, 2013

This tasted fantastic! I used fresh ginger instead since I had some. Thanks for another keeper!

50 Amy September 29, 2013

We had this this morning and it was delightful! So we made it again for dessert this evening only my husband wanted to try it with a baked sweet potato instead and it was also really good that way. Added a dash of nutmeg too. Great recipe a little like butterscotch pudding only way better.

51 Audrey September 29, 2013

Hi Angela. The recipe looks and sounds delicious, but I was wondering if Stevia can be substituted for the dates for sweetness or do the dates also serve as a thickener? I’m a college student so I’m trying to work with what I have on hand. Also do you think if I used pumpkin purée and added pumpkin pie spice I could make a pumpkin pie vegan smoothie? Thanks!!

52 Leah @ Dinendash September 30, 2013

This looks like the perfect fall smoothie! I can’t wait to give it a try! Yum!

53 Joan September 30, 2013

Can we use raw pumpkin instead of cooked?

54 Nora September 30, 2013

So comforting! Just had for breakfast! I will use more butternut squash next time though.

55 Elena Perez September 30, 2013

Delicious & simple to make! Thank you Angela!

56 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 30, 2013

Sounds delicious! I’m wondering if it would work as a dessert too, maybe with a bit less milk for more of a “pudding” consistency?

57 Melissa Campbell September 30, 2013

I have half a delicata (honeyboat) squash leftover from the 7-vegetable “cheese” soup, and i was wondering if you think I could roast it (unpeeled?) and use it in place of the butternut for this smoothie?

58 blender dude October 1, 2013

Awesome smoothie recipe and exquisite photos. And you are right, just perfect for Fall.

59 Gemma October 1, 2013

This was amazing! I roasted the Butternut for dinner last night and there was plenty left over for this shake. Feels like I am eating a caramel milk shake.

60 aubrey October 1, 2013

Hi! did you remove the skin before putting the butternut squash in the blender? I don’t see you making any note of that…

Thanks!

61 Robin October 2, 2013

I used frozen butternut squash, omitted ice cubes and added hemp milk in lieu of almond….very good and quick! Thank you!

62 Kathy October 2, 2013

Yummmmm! Made this today, and it was so good. I never would have thought to use butternut squash in a smoothie. You are so inventive!
I didn’t have any dates, so I used a little maple syrup instead, and it was very delicious. I too have had problems getting dates to blend up in my vitamix but from reading your reply above it sounds like I just haven’t let them whirl around in there long enough.
Thank you for another awesome recipe!

63 Christine (The Raw Project) October 3, 2013

This looks and sounds heavenly for fall, thanks!

64 adrian October 5, 2013

Can I just tell you that I’ve made this THREE separate times since I found this recipe a few days ago?! IT.IS.AMAZING! It’s like just eating the filling in a pumpkin/b’squash pie. I can’t get enough of it! Thanks so much for creating it and sharing :)

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2013

I’m so happy you love it so much Adrian!

66 Mandy October 7, 2013

This is DELICIOUS!!!

67 Rebecca October 11, 2013

My partner is the same as Elyse’s, he wont eat pumpkin but I reckon I can get him over the line with that amazing recipe.

68 Melissa MacDonald October 15, 2013

Thank you! I am going to make this for breakfast tomorrow. I am roasting the squash now!!!

69 Lisa Schlesinger October 15, 2013

I sent this recipe to my best friend before visiting her for the weekend. She made this and we both thought it was the BOMB!! So good. Fast forward to today…..I cooked my squash, and told darling husband I will be picking up dates tomorrow for this and can’t wait for him to taste it. Oh I hope he likes it as much as I did.

70 Elzemarie October 20, 2013

Just made it, but a warm version, as i didn’t have icecubes. Fresh from the oven, hot almond milk and a bit less cinnamon. Really fantastic warming smoothie for a wet autumn sunday! Tnx

71 Judi October 20, 2013

I tried this appealing smoothie recipe without the ice. I garnished the creamy pudding with a spoonful of toasted oates, walnuts, pecans, pinenuts, a pinch or two of organic can sugar and cinnamon – delicious!

72 Val October 29, 2013

I have made several of your recipes since I discovered you a week ago. Wow! The endurance crackers are terrific and rich (filling).
I adored the photos!
I also adore butternut squash..however, I made this according to the directions……
It is definitely missing something. While other people talk about how deliscious something is having never made it. I only comment after actually doing it.
Mind you, I hate dates but figured these would add the right sweetness. They did. It was like soup only cold and that was weird. Kiddos concurred.
How can we take this up a notch? Fresh Cranberries for a hint of sour and a pinch of cardamom? You are the flavor magician.
And skip the ice cubes! my two cents, anyway……..

73 joahnnne February 28, 2014

I was really interested to see your comment, I also prefer to read comments from people who have actually tried the recipe and I was wondering if it would taste like cold soup. I love squash but but sure that I will love it in a smoothie.

74 Jemay November 17, 2013

Hi! Are those mason jars custom made? Do you make them? Thank you for the healthy recipes! You’re the bomb!

75 Kaylan December 12, 2013

This smoothie looks so amazing. I love date smoothies, thanks for the creative ideas! :)

76 toni December 12, 2013

Where in a walmart do I find chai seeds and ground cloves? Or are these ingedients I’d have to ask a WholeFoods employee for?

Thanks a bunch,
Noob trying to get veggies in my family for the first time. ;)

77 Lilla May 11, 2014

Just made this! It’s delicious, very filling too.

78 Carly July 13, 2014

Just made it with a leftover sweet potato from last night! Perfect way to start my morning! The kids I babysit were crazy about it! Said it tasted like pumpkin pie. And they are super picky eaters:)
Thanks!!!!

79 Niki January 5, 2015

I am in love with your website and blog – my husband, mom, and I all tried our first Green Monster yesterday and today!! We loved it! So, I have never had butternut squash in a can before – in a pinch it might be good to have it on hand. Do you not need to cook that at all, or do you still cook that for this smoothie?

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2015

Hi Niki,

Thanks you, I’m glad you liked the smoothie. No you don’t have to cook the canned puree butternut squash before going into the smoothie.

81 Anne February 25, 2015

I never thought of putting Butternut Squash, or as us Aussie’s call it; Butternut Pumpkin, in a smoothie before. Sounds interesting and worth a try, thanks for sharing.

82 Chelsea April 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Loved this! Thanks for the great recipe. I used frozen butternut squash (for ease) and it was still so tasty:)

83 riann April 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This is heavenly! Tastes like a fall-themed milk shake. So delicious and the very best part is it is so nutritious. I added goji berry powder.

YUM! THANK YOU!

84 katherine May 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This is a great recipe. Thanks!

85 Anna Lee October 29, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I had some leftover butternut squash to use so I decided to give this a whirl. It was delicious! Wonderful smoothie recipe for the fall!

86 Colleen November 5, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I am presently sipping on this (sans ice cubes since my blender is a weenie) and it is SO delicious and tasty and yummy and scrumptious and slurperiffic. Thank you!

87 Susy Tavares January 4, 2016

Hello!

Where did you purchase those adorable jars with the wire handles you have for
the butternut squash smoothie…?

Thanks!