Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash with Black Bean Guacamole

spaghettisquashguac

Eric and I have been quite obsessed with HGTV and DIY Network for some time now. We know all the shows. All the hosts. Bryan Baeumler fan girl/boy right here! We can recite all the annoying commercials by heart (ugh). We watch repeated episodes multiple times to the point where we could recognize the homeowners on the street. Eric is tormented by the fact that we’re renting right now and can’t really do anything major to spiff up this place. Not that it’s a bad place to live, but it doesn’t really feel overly personalized for us. It doesn’t quite feel like home. He’s so desperate to build things he didn’t complain once when putting together an Ikea cabinet the other week! How does that even happen?

The point of this story, however, is that the DIY shows are brainwashing me.

Proof? I’m entertaining Eric’s idea of gutting an old house from top to bottom. That’s on his bucket list. His dream is to buy the crappiest, oldest, creepiest house on the block and gut it to the bones. We recently went to look at a 100-year old house that hadn’t been updated since the original owner moved in. Green cabinets, knob and tube electrical, scary stains in the basement, rotary phones. It was straight out of a horror flick. Isn’t that every girl’s dream? Can I even survive that kind of torment? Who knows. Watching them make it look so easy on TV makes me feel like it’s possible though (or insane, depending on the day).

I hate to be a dream crusher, so I’m entertaining this idea. Plus, I love when he’s happy and doing what he is passionate about. I just don’t want a house gutting to be a marriage gutter, you know what I mean? I recall the renos we did in our previous house and it wasn’t always puppy dogs and rainbows. There were tears, fights, hefty bills, excruciating trips to Home Depot (loathe), dust, and more dust. Did I mention dust? Maybe renting isn’t so bad after all.

I’ll keep you posted on what we end up doing. In the meantime, feel free to share your own home renovation stories with me! Are you living through any right now?

texmex

blackbeanguacomole-0593

Something that isn’t a marriage crusher? This recipe right here. Smiles and happy bellies all around with this meal. As per my theme of Vegan Glow in September, this meal was super easy to throw together. In fact, I think I’m going to put it on the rotation every week! It’s also a great way to boost your vegetable intake significantly.

When the squash is done roasting, season it with chili powder, cumin, oregano, and more salt and pepper. I go wild with the spices. Then layer on a hefty serving of black bean guacamole. I repeat: go wild.

aaaaand feast!

spaghettisquash

Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash with Black Bean Guacamole

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 7 reviews

A satisfying and healthy dinner for two! Recipe inspired by Whole Foods.

Yield
2-3 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the spaghetti squash:
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • ground cumin
  • ground chili powder
  • dried oregano
  • salt & pepper
For the black bean guacamole:
  • 2 avocados, pitted and flesh scooped out
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1.5 cups cooked beans)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
  • fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice off the stem of the squash and place the squash cut side down on a cutting board. With a chef's knife, carefully slice through the squash lengthwise to create two long halves. Scoop out the seeds and guts with an ice cream scoop. Brush some olive oil onto the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place squash halves cut side down on the baking sheet and roast for 30-50 minutes, depending on how large your squash is. When the squash is tender and you can easily scrape the strands with a fork, it's ready. I like to check the squash after 25-30 minutes to make sure I'm not over cooking it. Be sure not to cook for too long or it will turn mushy.
  2. While the squash is roasting, prepare the black bean guacamole. Mash the avocado flesh in a large bowl. Fold in the onion, tomato, drained and rinsed black beans, and cilantro. Season to taste with lime juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
  3. Remove squash from the oven, flip over, and scrape the flesh with a fork in vertical motions. Do this until you've scraped all the strands off the skin. Now sprinkle on some chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper (as much or as little as you want). Top the squash with guacamole and serve warm. You can also plate the spaghetti squash, if preferred.

Tips:

For a step by step photo tutorial for roasting spaghetti squash, see this post.

texmexspaghettisquash-0650

1 erin @ An Inside Job September 18, 2013

I may have found something quick to make this weekend! Your site is actually the one to teach me how to make spaghetti squash so I have a warm affection for seeing recipes that call for it.

Also how can you go wrong with guacamole??

2 Missy Santiago October 18, 2013

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE! I’m new to the Vegan world and have always hated to cook, but I try to cook at least once a week and eat leftovers the rest of the week :). I’ve never eaten spaghetti squash before and never knew I could actually make my own vegetable pasta / noodles until about a month ago; always thought the process would be too hard to do at home. I don’t think I cooked it long enough, but I was late and needed it to be done and ate it anyway! It was SO GOOD! I ate leftover black bean guacamole with Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato tortilla chips – also a new favorite of mine – for lunch today. I’ve emailed the link to your recipe to 5 people and put it on my FaceBook page. So good I can’t get enough!

3 Jesse @OutToLunchC September 18, 2013

I have a spaghetti squash arriving in my CSA tonight so I’m really excited to try this recipe! I love how its so different from the usual spaghetti squash with red sauce.

I also rent so I’m a stranger to home renos. I love the fact that when anything goes wrong I can just call my landlord and she figures everything out.

4 April @ My Real Food Family September 18, 2013

My family loves spaghetti squash and guacamole but I never thought of putting them together. I’ll definitely be trying this recipe soon!

5 Maria Tadic September 18, 2013

Love using spaghetti squash! Just made it the other night and topped it with some vegetarian chili – YUM. Feels guilty but then…its just a vegetable! Definitely will try out your black bean guacamole! Looks awesome!

6 Megan (The Lyons' Share) September 18, 2013

I adore spaghetti squash (I actually prefer it taste-wise to “real” pasta, and of course love the nutrient punch it packs!), and who doesn’t love guacamole? I will definitely be making this soon – because everything is more fun with a built-in bowl! Thank you!

7 Abby @ Change of Pace September 18, 2013

That would be really fun to buy an old house and renovate, but so draining at the same time! when I was younger and lived at home my parents put hardwood in most of the house. I remember tearing away the carpet and removing flooring. Even that was enough for me!
Wow- this recipe looks amazing. I’ve actually never roasted a spaghetti squash but think this recipe might be the one to throw me over the edge! Thanks for sharing!

8 Alicia Nicole September 18, 2013

This looks amazing! Adding this to my weekend line up. I need more budget-friendly, simple, clean recipes. :)

9 Heather @ Forsythia + Oak September 18, 2013

We just moved into our first home about a month ago and are already starting on projects. I think the key is to realize your capabilities, know when to ask for help, and know when to put down the hammer and just relax. You should enjoy the process!

10 Margo September 18, 2013

“I just want Brick”, name that show, it’s my fav… I have been looking for a new twist on spaghetti squash, this looks awesome! Thanks

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2013

REHAB ADDICT!!! hahah I could literally hear her voice in my head when I read this comment. I luuurve her! Am I right?

12 Margo September 19, 2013

You’re right! Yes, I’m addicted to Rehab Addict!

13 Andrea September 18, 2013

My partner is a carpenter so he is constantly doing projects around the house and wanting to change things. Right now he’s rebuilding the garage, so at least it’s outside. Drives me crazy sometimes, but it keeps him busy and our house looking nice!

14 Caitlin September 18, 2013

when dayv and i were looking for houses last year, i was always attracted to the ones that needed the most work and he would look at me like i was crazy. we ended up getting the one he wanted ;)

i am obsessed with hgtv, too. i could watch 12 hours of “love it or list it” and never leave the couch. i recently started making over my house and it is so rewarding!

15 lauren September 18, 2013

Mmmm tex-mex anything is right up my alley.
As for home improvements they are hard on a marriage. Especially since things NEVER go right the first or second time. Right now we are replacing awful metal closet doors with wooded doors but the problem seems to be project burn out. One out of 3 is finished and I get the feeling my husband thinks we are done?
And GROAN about Home Depot. I refuse to go there anymore to “just look around”. I will only go if we are actually buying something and even then I think that store sucks energy from me ;)

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2013

hah oh this made me laugh (but yea, I feel for you!!). There’s something about Home Depot that makes me feel like an impatient 5 year old every time.

17 Emma September 18, 2013

I love the idea of starting from scratch, if I had somebody to do it for me and I could move out for 6 months while it was being done…! Even putting together Ikea furniture is stressful for me.

This meal looks so good. I’ve never had spaghetti squash as I’ve not seen it to buy here (England) before :( The black bean guac would work with anything though.

18 Emily - It comes naturally blog September 19, 2013

I’m in England too, and wish I could find spaghetti squash – I’m braving the lunchtime rain in the hope of getting one at the Farmer’s Market…

19 Naomi October 2, 2013

I’m in London, England, and did this with a butternut squash and it worked perfectly. I think a little pumpkin could be cute too!

20 Christine October 13, 2013

I’m in England too- I got a spaghetti squash in my Abel and Cole box last week! Which is how I ended up here looking for what to do with it :)

I generally see them in health food shops when in season but only for a limited time. It’s not a year-round buy.

21 Millie November 4, 2013

I am in London and just bought spaghetti squash at whole foods (high street Kensington). Go check it out :)

22 Rebecca October 10, 2013

I just found Spaghetti Squash at the Whole Foods in London…not sure if you’re in London, but if you are, check out Whole Foods. I go to the one in Clapham and it’s just a small one, so if they have it, I imagine the others will to.
Also, Borough Market usually has it.

23 Lili September 18, 2013

That looks tasty! I just went on a vacation to Tucson, and had guacamole where they added mango. I’ve been craving it ever since.

My husband and I just finished our basement ourselves. The people at Home Depot knew us so well that they’d come say hi and catch up! I think that hanging doors (even pre-hung) is a marriage killer (I pity people loading doors into their vehicles at Home Depot). Absolutely everything else (electrical, studwork, etc) was fine, except for those doors! Getting them perfect so that they would still close was a nightmare. We still have two doors to hang. We may hire that out.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2013

sending you positive reno vibes!!

25 Duze@BakingBackwards September 18, 2013

My husband has similar dreams — only he’s crazy and wants to build a house from the ground up — not even creepy walls to start us out! I’m a little frightened. We are looking into the whole ultra-modern pre-fab thing with shipping containers etc…and hopefully waterfront land to drop it on one day!

I love all things avocado and spaghetti squash so great recipe today!

26 The Vegan Cookie Fairy September 18, 2013

This looks AMAZING! But where the heck do I get spaghetti squash in the UK?? I’ve been looking forever and am starting to think it’s a purely North American thing… :(

27 Rebecca October 10, 2013

I just replied a few messages up as well..if you’re in London, check out Whole Foods or Borough Market. I’ve found it in both places!

28 sylvia September 18, 2013

I’d totally agree to purchase an old house and let the husband gut it but only if he knew exactly what he wanted to do. I’d be afraid of living in a mess for the next 25 years. I need order and organization to function at my best!

29 Allison September 18, 2013

I say go for the house – gutting project. You know what to expect this time having gone through it before – lay out some ground rules so you don’t argue over things like trips to Home Depot and other items that became an issue the last time. The first one is always difficult because you never account for the unknowns. The project will rarely go exactly as planned but when you realize to expect the unexpected it makes the surprises a little less scary and frustrating. Have fun with it when you decide to tackle the project! We just survived our first one and can’t wait for the next one. Both the hubby and I worked at Home Depot and we still didn’t account for everything that popped up.

30 Riya@Sprout'd September 18, 2013

Yum-o! A great twist to add guacamole to spaghetti squash.

Love love love Property Brothers. what is your favorite show?

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2013

Right now I’m obsessed with Million Dollar Listing New York. omg…the characters on that show are hilarious!! have you seen it?

32 Mandy D September 18, 2013

Do you even need a plate!? ;) haha That’s awesome. I totally hear you about the whole marriage gutter business! We bought our house last year. It was built in 1954. We redid the main bath, which led to the kids bathing in our bathroom, yuck! Don’t want that to ever happen again. Now we are renovating the downstairs. We had a baby not to long ago, 6 months, and she is now in our sons room. Our teenage daughter got the huge room of course. So we are extending a wall 3 feet into the garage to make the room downstairs large enough for our son’s new bedroom. My husband, who loves his whites, picked a navy smoky blue for our son’s new room. YAY! Maybe he will let me add some colour to our walls upstairs (They are all white!) It’s hard going through a reno. It’s loud, your even more broke then you were before, and you have to agree on every litle thing..well try to at least. I just give in at times. I’m still on maternity leave with our baby and the banging is keeping her up during nap time. :( But this recipe will be sure to cheer us all up at the end of the day! Thanks Angela

33 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 18, 2013

Oh man, I can’t wait to try this!!

34 Christina September 18, 2013

My parents bought a giant old run-down house on the grounds that my dad really wanted to fix it up himself…that was thirty-two years ago. They’re now trying to get it ready for sale, and my mom’s having to get rid of all the things she’d collected in anticipation of the interior decor phase of the renovation. We’re all hoping that instead of an infill developer, an ambitious young couple with a plan and some extra cash will buy it, gut it and make it into a giant old nice house.

35 Lisa September 18, 2013

We bought our house two years ago and it came with a gutted master bath. It wasn’t a huge deal project wise, but it to FOREVER, and then became so time consuming. It felt like every free weekend and spare time we had was spent on the bathroom. I agree with a previous commenter that you should set ground rules so you are both on the same page. Also make sure you schedule small amounts of time away from the project so you can keep some of your sanity. If you are up for it and can make it happen go for it. It would be so rewarding in the end and your house can be exactly how you want it.

I am putting this meal on the menu for next week, it looks delicious.

36 VeganGypsy September 18, 2013

Oh, my! This looks amazing! I have most of the ingredients on hand, leftover from Taco Tuesday, heading to the kitchen now. Thanks so much for sharing!

37 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 18, 2013

I am always trying to find new ways to eat my spaghetti squash. Usually I just add some tomato sauce and beans and munch. This is a nice twist on it.. love it!

38 Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 18, 2013

i would’ve never thought to combine spag. squash & guac, but why not? two absolutely delish things & ya can’t go wrong!

39 Christine September 18, 2013

A rotary phone? I love it!!
Our kitchen reno was nightmare-like…2 weeks without a functioning kitchen and oh, the mess…but I would liken it to childbirth; you forget the pain when you see how beautiful it all looks. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

40 Hannah September 18, 2013

Wow. Your first paragraphs are so outside my frame of reference that it feels like I’m getting a glimpse into an alternate universe.

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO HAVE DINNER MISSY?! xoxoxo

41 jodye @ whole pure recipes September 18, 2013

I just picked up a spaghetti squash and have been contemplating how to doctor it up for an exciting meal. This looks like the perfect way to spice things up! LOVE the black bean guacamole. I will never say no when there are avocados involved!!

42 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 18, 2013

LOL! It doesn’t surprise me that Eric has a dream of gutting an old crappy house – that man was born to be on HGTV!!! You guys are both awesome at it, and I have no doubt that you will live in your dream home some day! As for this recipe, you are speaking my language! I am loving all things squash right now and have some serious cooking plans for the weekend. And PS, I miss you, and think we should get together soon!

43 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy September 18, 2013

that guac looks bangin!! :)

44 Caroline September 18, 2013

I know what i’m eating for dinner tomorrow night!!It looks delicious!! I love guacamole, beans and spaghetti squash but i never thought to mix them together!!wow!!

45 Jessica Noelle Glitterpony September 18, 2013

Gosh that looks sumptuous! Do you think you could use a different type squash if you can’t find spaghetti squash? I’ve been seeing lots of butternut and acorn squash at the store, but no spaghetti squash!

46 Jessica Noelle Glitterpony September 18, 2013

PS. I feel your pain regarding the reno, only with CARS. My fiancee is a car guy and dreams about getting some old, rusted (but classic!) car (you know, the kind that the mob used to transport bodies, probably) and wants to fix it up. :) Hobbies and dreams are good things, says I! Of course, I’m not dealing with a creepy rotary phone infested old house. ;)

47 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 18, 2013

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a spaghetti squash, let it sit for weeks and walk by it…taunting me. I need to get over that…and make this.

48 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 18, 2013

I just made a huge batch of black beans a couple weeks ago and froze some. I think I need to thaw them and add to this!

49 robin September 18, 2013

Hi there, Vegan Girl…
So my hubby and I are in the middle of a renovation. We bought a house built in 1926, and so far we’ve ripped out the kitchen, ripped out the floors and put down new hardwood (turned out great), and we’re getting ready to put in new trim and door casings, and a few windows here and there. I would say, budget-wise just be prepared to go over by sometimes as much as 50%. It just happens. Schedules shift with workers and things always seem to take longer which means more days of labor wages. Also, as you’re picking materials/finishes you decide you want to go up a notch and that mean, cha-ching, more money. It’s just the way it goes. It also helps if you’re a little younger! We did this once when we were in our 40s. And now me at 53 and hubby at 49, well, it’s a little harder on the older joints, backs, stress levels. We’re getting there, but it can be really stressful. So, assuming you are a bit younger, and are continuing to make money, then go for it! But, it can be wearing and oh my goodness the dust! Another word of advice is to be sure their are basic features in place: solid foundation, a good site, no termites. Good luck living the dream!

50 Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff September 18, 2013

Holy crap that looks good! I’m making it next week!

51 carri. September 19, 2013

it is my THIS WEEK resolution
to MAKE THIS for real.

q: is there a way
to make links open in
a NEW window?
i love to click around your site
but
no likey losing my spot.
eh? : )

52 Claire (Eat Well. Party Hard.) September 19, 2013

Okay, so my childhood best friend and I just reconnected over a much-needed phone call yesterday, and before then, she had no idea that I went vegan a few months back. She was all “I don’t know how you can do it, what do you eat?” And I tried to explain how wildly diverse my diet is–that it even includes plenty of (cleaned up versions of) our childhood and teen-years staples! Knowing she’s a hardcore Tex-Mex girl–we both are, really–this dish will totally win her over. Cannot wait to share.

53 Emily - It comes naturally blog September 19, 2013

Just about to buy our first house – and I’m rather put off the reno work already :-) Thanks guys! On a separate note, wish I could find spaghetti squash in the UK…

54 aimee sweeney October 24, 2013

wow! Im so happy i found your blog! As an Irish person living in Belgium I have lots of time to cook – newly arrived! A friend told me about your blog and am so impressed. Looked at it for the first time 3 days ago and have made about 3 things so far! This is delicious! Im also loving the fact that there is a much wider variety of squash here than in Ireland. Unfortunately no WHole Foods though! Keep on blogging!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2013

Hey Aimee, Thanks so much for your kind words! So glad you are enjoying the blog :)

56 Dave September 19, 2013

I’m always amazed at the combinations people put together. We have both those dishes in our household but have never put them together. Its the simple things that do it.

57 Helen September 19, 2013

Wow, this looks delicious. I love beans, avocado, and squash in pretty much equal measure!

58 Cara @ TheVeganBarbie September 19, 2013

I love TexMex! I’ve never cooked my own spaghetti squash, I’m excited to try!

59 Jamie @lifelovelemons September 19, 2013

OMG love the idea of texmex squash!!! Never would have thought to do this myself… definitely happening in my kitchen, like, tonight!

60 Swedesand September 19, 2013

I, too, am addicted to HGTV shows, but have no desire to renovate. But, I would love to build new, again. This time under 1,000 sq. feet. Modern. Longing to downsize and de-clutter.
I am spiralizing zucchini these days (as they are so prolific in the garden) so will substitute it for spaghetti squash. Sounds like a great alternative to the salads I’ve been enjoying. Thanks for the inspiration!
BTW – Joyce Chen spiralizer. LOVE it!

61 Kirsten September 19, 2013

Eric’s dream and mine are the same! Sadly, my hubby to be is totally a dream crusher on that one :( One day maybe I’ll manage to convince him!

Gonna try the recipe, typically not a fan of spaghetti squash, but always willing to try again!

62 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen September 19, 2013

The idea of buying an old house and gutting it is kind of scary, but if it works out, I think it would be worth it. Old houses are so beautiful!

Also this recipe looks awesome. I was just thinking about different ways to use spaghetti squash (since I almost always eat it with some kind of tomato sauce, and that’s getting old), so this recipe came at the perfect time!

63 Celeste September 19, 2013

This looks delist! Can’t wait to try it!

64 Erica September 19, 2013

This looks super yummy! I also have an HGTV obsession. Ahh, real estate porn!

65 Wynne September 19, 2013

Has anyone mentioned the classic Tom Hanks comedy The Money Pit? You should see it before taking on a tumble-down palace!

66 Patricia September 20, 2013

Exactly what I was wondering. Wonderful movie from the late 80s/ early 90s. Maybe live vicariously through them.

67 Linda September 19, 2013

Angela,
I love your recipes. Lately, I enjoy the peeks into what else is going on in your life. This makes me feel more connected in the blog world-a good thing!

68 Faith September 19, 2013

New to your blog and love it. Waiting, rather impatiently, for the cookbook to come out in Spring.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

Thank you, I’m happy to hear that! :)

70 Julie September 19, 2013

All my favorites in one recipe… I die! Thanks for making my day :-)

71 Adrienne September 19, 2013

Hi, Angela! I have recently stumbled upon your website, and am I glad I did. What a wealth of information here. Your ideas are so accessible, fun and beautifully presented, and your love of real food and good health truly radiates out to the rest of us lucky folks. This year marks a huge dietary transition for me, as I divest myself of GMO food, factory farmed meats and a 4-1/2 year addiction to acid blockers. Many thanks for helping make that journey an inspired one.

As for “old house reno” projects, I had to laugh when you wrote about that — I live in a house built in 1799, and when I bought it in 2009, it was barely habitable. It had NOT been kept up well in recent decades, and worse, it smelled horrible. The very first project that came up, after a few weeks of scrubbing, was when I took my first bath in the beautiful clawfoot bathtub, drained the water… and heard an odd splashy sound in the basement. Turned out there was a partial blockage just before the septic tank (a plastic bag of disposable razors, no less — who flushes bags of razors??) which had caused the large volume of bathwater to back up into a disabled section of the waste pipe that had burst many years ago (unbeknownst to us, as the broken part faced the wall). We had to dig a largish ditch in the front yard and replace the outside pipe. I learned how to mix and apply cement, and how to test the viability of a septic tank — two of numerous new skill sets I now boast.

Maybe it’s just the rescuer in me, but I feel my house is like a living “person” that I was meant to own and fix up. You already know that passion is what drives us to our right destinies. You’ll know when the right house speaks to you! Please do keep us updated on those adventures.

72 Emily B September 19, 2013

This looks incredibly, now I just have to convince my non-avocado loving husband to try it!

As for the renovation project, it sounds like a epic and scary amount of work. That being said, it’s always something I have dreamed of. If you do it, I hope you post every step of the way on here. It would be wonderful to follow along.

P.S. The new recipe printer app is working great, but I really wish there was a picture included with it. It’s nice to see what it is I’m looking at making without having to read all the ingredients. Just a suggestion!

73 Connie September 19, 2013

I gutted my master bathroom all by myself and remodeling it little by little. We entering month 5. Thankfully, we have another bathroom that we can use. Hope to have it done by Christmas. Not something I’d like to do again. Can’t imagine doing an entire house.

74 BYOL September 19, 2013

Love this idea. Thanks so much and I’m so excited that its finally squash and root veggie season!

75 Sarah L. September 19, 2013

UGGHHHH to home renos. I’m currently waiting at home for a couch to come from the Brick – between 10 am and 1 pm they say – which will be the second last touch on our basement apartment that we’ve been building for THREE MONTHS. List of things I have learned:
1. Home Depot is a energy sucker (as previously mentioned)
2. There will NEVER be enough storage space for everything
3. I hate holding things up for excruciating lengths of time – I’m always holding the level while the man of the house does the nailing, screws, etc.
4. Your reno budget? Yeah, try tripling it.
5. Picnic dinners on the floor are now a common thing.

On the bright side, all we need is a sink and renos will be done! Now to find a place to put all of the paint, equipment, caulking tubes, etc….

76 Caitlin September 19, 2013

Thank you so much for having this site! My bf was recently forced to change his entire diet and we are both lost to find good tasting food that we can make that are GF and Dairy Free. I am so excited to try this out tonight – he loves guac!!! I will be following you :) btw – Thanks to The Berry to showing me!!!

77 Jessa September 19, 2013

My husband and I own our house, and we’ve limited ourselves to one “major” home renovation a year. We bought it as a “pretty-good-shape house” from the 70s six years ago, so we do smaller stuff as needed (like replacing the locks), but we’re going to own the house a long time, and any project that takes more than an afternoon has to wait its turn. This year’s project was replacing the smaller windows in the house. Next year we’re doing the big windows. We split them up because our house has weird windows that all have to be special ordered because they’re in a size no on seems to have used anywhere else in the space/time continuum other than my neighborhood.

It’s slower, but it means we’re only doing the stressful “home improvement” trips (and the fighting) for a couple weeks a year. We’re going to be living here a long time, so we’d rather go slow, take our time, and have time to have fun with each other in our first home (and some pocket money) than rushing to get a HGTV level home. We’ll get there, it’ll just take us a couple of years. :D

78 rekabeka September 19, 2013

Totally unrelated to this post, but I’ve pre-ordered your cookbook – I’m SO excited for it to be delivered to my door…whenever that may be. :)

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

aw thank you so much!!

80 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 19, 2013

Spaghetti squash should be showing up in the markets around here any day now, I’m bookmarking this recipe to try when I get my hands on one!

81 Courtney September 19, 2013

My parents did a lot of renos and I am just amazed that they stayed together. It wasn’t THAT horrible, but I just know I wouldn’t put my relationship through any major renos. I can stay in a bad mood for days if things don’t go my way. =/

I’m currently in an apartment I hate, and I look forward to my new place. May 2014 can’t get here any sooner!

I fell in love with black beans over the summer so this recipe is right up my alley! Thank you for sharing!

82 Teri Sundine September 19, 2013

It is a must then to go to wavyglass.org to ask for help. They are a great group of people who have old homes and are working in them ( cause it’s never done done) and give out great advice. They all use to be on oldhouseweb.com until the spam got to bad on that site.
We have a 113 yr old home that was actually in fairly good shape. We had the kitchen remodeled and upstairs bath ..survived both. We did a small bath remodel ourselves and our marriage is still intact..
Recipe looks awesome.

83 Kate @ Trekking Kate September 19, 2013

Love spaghetti squash! Always happy to add a new recipe that I’m sure my hubby will enjoy!

84 Staci September 19, 2013

My husband and I are surviving a Reno right now. You and Eric sound exactly like us when we were renting. So we bought a fixer upper.

85 Staci September 19, 2013

After living through a Reno my advice is to never live in the house your renovating. First, there is the dust, second it makes it more like a job in that you actually have to get up, make a plan and go over and work on it. Lasty, when its done you can move in and enjoy your hard work without any dust. This is what we have found to be the real key to a renovation addiction and a happy marriage. Keep that rental while your working on it!

86 Liz September 19, 2013

Um, WHAT is Eric drinking and can you send me some to shovel down my partner’s throat so HE wants to build things, too, and goes through withdrawal symptoms when he’s not engaging in home improv? I can’t even get him to hang up pictures. Everything home related gets done by me, but I am severely limited in both skill and know-how. Marrying someone who itches to do home improvements? That’s on MY bucket list. :)

87 Kathryn September 19, 2013

This recipe looks amazing.

Re home renos — I would not recommend wallpapering together! In fact wallpaper should come with a warning label. But other projects have been fun.

88 Laura September 19, 2013

Hi Angela!

I made this for dinner tonight (added a bit of chopped grilled chicken and an extra squirt of lime) and OH.MAH.GAWD. So so so delicious! Thanks for suggesting a tex mex way to prepare spaghetti squash! It was so amazing!

Laura

89 Sandra Preston September 19, 2013

Imagine my surprise when I opened my Canadian Living and there you were. It was like an old friend had made the big time! Congrats.

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

Aw thank you Sandra! :)

91 Amy September 19, 2013

Made this for dinner tonight for my roommate and me. And it was amazing. The only thing different I did was use a little bit of taco seasoning from Trader Joe’s. Thank You. Your dishes are always flavor packed and fun to make.

92 Sherry September 19, 2013

How convenient, I happen to have a garden full of spaghetti squash that is taunting me!
We are actually in the process of just finishing building a new house out on a farm. Luckily, we maintained our current house the whole time so didn’t have to live thru renos, but there is no doubt that it takes all of your spare time and effort. Every weekend and several evenings after work for the last year have been spent working on the house. Focusing on how great it will be when it’s all done is the best way I’ve discovered to maintain sanity when we are tired and patience is low. It’s just about done now and we are actually starting to plan a move in date.

93 Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget September 20, 2013

My absolute favorite show is Rehad Addict. I think it would be such an awesome experience to completely renovate an old house like she does! I love that you and Eric are getting the chance to bond over some home DIY projects and TV show watching :)

Spaghetti squash is my absolute favorite. New ideas are always welcome and this looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

94 suzanne September 20, 2013

Cannot wait to make this recipe! Though today is going to be 79 so I have vowed not to eat any cinnamon, pumpkin, squash etc! Tomorrow though….
I can totally relate to the house renovations – we have built 2 houses and remodeled one. We vowed this house will be the one we die in – but who knows where life will take us. We built this house 9 years ago, moved in 8 years ago with a plan to have it completely ‘done’ within 5 years-HA! not quite. We are in the middle of our addition (garage and mudroom which was part of original 5 yr plan). It can be stressful and is such an extra thing to have going on in the middle of already busy lives – but it is worth it and we could never have just bought a house like this on our salaries. It will be nice though to be at the point where all we have to do is maintain and paint here and there as needed/wanted.
I did love seeing your renos when you were doing them – you have great taste! If you redo an old house, it would be a blast to see it progress!

95 Julie September 20, 2013

Spaghetti squash is the best! Thanks for this interesting take on the typical “pasta” dishes. I’m excited to try it.

96 k September 20, 2013

Make sure to be mindful of feng shui when you buy your house!

97 Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living September 20, 2013

The HGTV and DIY Network are so addicting. But instead of renovating my house, I much rather cook this recipe. It looks delicious!

98 Heather September 20, 2013

This just became my new favorite meal! I think I will sub green onions for red next time as mine were a little potent. I’m thinking next time wi be tomorrow!

99 dishing up the dirt September 21, 2013

My husband and I are closing on our first house next week!!! it’s a real fixer upper. I’m not as interested in fixing up an old place but my husband is ecstatic. I’ll be busy in the kitchen making this spaghetti squash dinner while he gets to work!

100 Pam September 21, 2013

Greetings from Scotland! I’ve just discovered this blog and I have to say that it is changing my outlook on food – I’ve just ordered my first batch of chai seeds & jars to make your portable oatmeal recipe and can’t wait to try a Green Monster! I’m not vegan, but feeling as though I need to be eating less meat and far healthier food, so your blog is an inspiration.

This recipe looks fantastic and can’t wait to try it – still trying to get my head around conversions to UK measurements etc. but looking forward to experimenting! Your food always looks brilliant, I love when recipes are fully illustrated and your photography work really compliments the food.

Can I ask a question not specifically related to this recipe? When you mention nut butters in your recipes, are these equivalents to typical peanut butter in a jar, or are these something you have made yourself?

Thanks, and sorry for the possibly silly question – very new to some of these ingredients! Will your book be published in the UK? Would be very useful to me!

Thank you and congratulations on a fantastic blog!

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

Hey Pam! So glad you found the blog :) I’m so happy you are enjoying it so far!
As for nut butters, yes they are equivalent to store-bought nut butters so you can use what you prefer. I do always use “all natural” nut butter though. I also have some recipes on my blog to make it at home. All my best!

102 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped September 21, 2013

AND FEAST… is correct! This looks delicious and I love the presentation of it.

103 Mo September 21, 2013

I am so glad I found your blog, I need a recipe like this to feed my body, ever since I became vegetarian I haven’t had a clue of what to make, but now I come here and finding amazing things like this to make!
Thanks

104 Ivy September 21, 2013

This looks awesome! I usually don’t prefer spaghetti squash but this recipe definitely makes me want to try it again.

105 Samantha September 22, 2013

This recipe is exactly what I needed on my meal prep Sunday, as I happened to buy all the ingredients! Perfect!

106 vegan israel September 22, 2013

look great. and will definitely get my family on board. finally..

107 Belinda Heflin September 22, 2013

Made this for lunch and hubby could not get enough! Thank you for an easy, delicious, and satisfying meals that even a husband could love!

108 Tania September 22, 2013

Haha you are right about the dust….and the millions of trips to Home Depot. We have been married 4 years and are living in our third house! The first two houses were cosmetic changes but the one we are in now is a total gut and rebuild! We literally have torn up every floor, ceiling, wall in half our house and put them all back together and now we are ripping out the other half!!! We are crazy but we love it and makes our marriage stronger somehow! You can see our before & after pics here: runtoradiance.com/2013/08/28/before-and-after-photos/

109 Christy S. September 23, 2013

This was an awesome meal! My family of men loved it. ;-)

110 Cindy September 23, 2013

do you peel your delicata squash? This looks amazing! I totally love your recipes!!!!

111 Shelley September 23, 2013

Loved this. My boyfriend who is not vegan, but enjoys vegan meals must of said “baby, I really love this” 9 times.

112 kimmythevegan September 23, 2013

This dish sounds great! I love the idea of combining two awesome-sauce foods like spaghetti squash and guaccamole. YUM!

As for renos – we are not handy, nor do we wish to be haha ;p

113 Nora September 24, 2013

Yummy! I made this for dinner last night. My whole family loved it. I omitted tomatoes and red onion because I didn’t have both, but it was still satisfying. I may cook some onions instead of eating raw ones.

114 allie September 24, 2013

made this lastnight and it was so awesome! Definately will be made over and over ino ur house..we had some guacamole left, and i’m going to make the chickpea pancake tonight and spread that on top :0)

115 Alex September 25, 2013

Made this last night and we loved it! Thanks!

116 Pam September 25, 2013

I made this last night for my family and they loved it. My husband took it to work for lunch today. I will definitely make this again. Thanks!

117 Erin September 29, 2013

Just made this for dinner and it is a new favorite already! Thanks :)

118 Tiffany September 30, 2013

This was so yummy…and so simple! My hubby and I both loved it and will be having it again soon. :-)

119 Uncle Leo October 3, 2013

Good looking spaghetti squash spaghetti (SSS) recipe. And well done on the photo layout. That takes a lot of time, huh?

120 Shane October 6, 2013

My market mislabeled a bin of butternut squash as spaghetti squash! We made this a couple of weeks ago with spaghetti squash and loved it. Unfortunately, this time I did not notice the squash difference until we’d already cut it open. Both look very similar outside, but butternet squash has seeds limited to one portion of the squash, whereas in the spaghetti squash the seeds are more evenly distributed. Here’s hoping it’s just as delicious!

121 Vegan Amy October 7, 2013

This was delicious … super filling. I dare say it might have almost been too much guac (which seems impossible!).

Thanks!!

122 Marion October 11, 2013

DELICIOUS sums up this dish! My transition to plant based eating is easier because of your recipes and detailed instructions. Thank you!

123 sherisse October 13, 2013

In April this year we bought a 100 year old house and are renovating it top to bottom. Id be very cautious buying a house that hasn’t been touched in 100 years though get a very good inspector and even structural engineer in to make sure you’re not wasting your time and money . As it is this house is very well built and has been somewhat kept up. Its a LOT of work, it costs a whole lot more thoen you expect, you’ll live in absolute chaos for a while until each room is complete but in the end it is sooooo worth it to sit in your renovated house and enjoy it. If you can do the work without hiring people it keeps the cost way down, but if you’re trying to work full time and renovate in free time you can expect it to take a very long time. As it is my hubby Is self employed and his Grampa who is helping is retired so hubby has taken a break and focused on Renoes and it’s still dragging. Oh and I’m 6 months pregnant…. don’t do Renoes pregnant lol. good luck!

124 rachael October 13, 2013

This was delicious! Served it for my husband and dinner guest. They both loved it. Thanks for sharing.

125 medstudent October 16, 2013

Loved this dish from start to finish. The guacamole with the spaghetti squash was awesome. This is a keeper recipe for me. Everyone in the family loved this one from the 8 year old to the 65 year old…. loved, loved, loved it. The tangy fresh flavor of the guacamole coupled with the semi sweet squash added dimension to the ol taste buds…thanks for this one.

126 Yolonda October 18, 2013

I made this for my husband and I a few weeks ago. I was adventurous and tried the spaghetti squash for the first time. I knew that I would like it, but as for my husband, I wasn’t sure….Guess what?!? He loved it! I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

Thanks for a great recipe. I am always looking for recipes that will appeal to my non-vegan family. I have found several on your website! Thank you!

127 Jana October 21, 2013

I really enjoyed this! Thank you. The leftovers were even great. The avocado did not get gross.

128 Sherry October 30, 2013

This was a great and easy recipe! Angela – thanks so much for all your recipe postings – I’ve tried a few and none of them have missed! Finally vegan recipes that are good and easy to make!

129 Cynthia December 2, 2013

I made this again tonight, this time with a butternut squash, since the store was out of spaghetti squash, and it was still every bit as delicious! My omnivore mother swears this is one of her new favorite meals.

130 Lyz December 9, 2013

Just made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Filling, unique flavors and roasting spaghetti squash is so fun. Will be making this again for sure!

131 Kamau January 9, 2014

I used quinoa instead of spaghetti squash (the one I had was spoiled inside) and it was really tasty. I love using fresh herbs in dishes. I even had some left over that I scooped up with carrot sticks earlier today. These recipes have helped to make my transition to going vegan so much easier!

132 NA January 12, 2014

OMG, these recipes look amazing!! Thanks so much, off to try them… :)

133 Julie Horsman January 21, 2014

Just finished eating this. Both me and my husband loved it. Thanks!

134 Felicia January 30, 2014

I made this last night and it was AMAZING! Very simple to make (with easy cleanup if you eat it right out of the squash), and tasted so fresh. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! =)

135 Kayli May 12, 2014

Would spaghetti noodles taste good as well?

136 Deb June 10, 2014

This is one of the best dinners I have had in a long time. It is very easy to make, I cooked my squash in the microwave, The whole dish was done in 10 min. Very tasty!

137 Claire Parsons July 18, 2014

Made this last night for my dad and my sister, just doubled the recipe and… oh my goodness! This is seriously so so delicious and easy to make. I think I ate a lifetime supply of spaghetti squash because the spices make it amazing. Thanks for sharing!

138 Moose October 3, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This is the third day in a row that I have eaten this dish. I CAN’T STOP!!! It’s the most perfect thing I’ve ever eaten.

139 Tiffany October 26, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I tried this and my whole family loved it! Its really simple and easy and has a ton of flavor.

140 Fiona Young November 3, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This was amazing. My husband and I pressure cooked our squash for 2 minutes instead of roasted but kept everything else the same. Repeat-worthy fo sho.

141 Jillian December 6, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was absolutely delicious! I have always loved spaghetti squash, and this is my new favorite way to make it. I love that you can eat it straight out of the squash rind, in it’s own, planet friendly compostable bowl!

142 Katie N. January 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I am not vegan but I am trying to minimize my meat & dairy intake. (When you live in Wisconsin, it’s very hard.) I decided to make this recipe for my Dad and I and we both LOVED it. We have been trying many vegan recipes but this is our favorite. We’re both always surprised how much we love all of the recipes & how full we feel by just eating fruits, veggies, & nuts! Thank you!!!

143 Leslie March 30, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made this last night and LOVED it!!!

144 Robin January 10, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was so delicious!! I added fresh diced Jalapeno in my mixture. Thank you for sharing. This site is helping me so much on my Vegan journey

145 Brandi April 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and it was SO EASY! That was awesome as I was painting my living room and couldn’t spend a lot of time cooking. I really enjoy the mixture of tastes and it definitely made spaghetti squash much more interesting to me. I ended up using the rest of my avocado/cilantro “cream” sauce from the enchiladas on top and I’ll definitely do that again. The best part is that my squash-hating ex tried some and then wanted half hahaha.