Sun-dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

tofuquiche 8641   Sun dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

As someone who works from home, I often need a nudge to be pulled away from my work; there aren’t as many opportunities for social connections (at least, in person) and that’s something I’ve missed since working for myself. I’m also a self-professed workaholic, always with fear in the back of my mind that if I’m not working all the time everything will somehow go to shit. Combine this mindset with loving what you do and it’s a recipe for not giving yourself much free time. I’m trying to work on this and create a better balance with it all, especially now that the majority of my book is complete. A change of pace is in order! Eric asked me the other night what my professional goals were for the next year and I’m still thinking about it, even toying with ideas like teaching vegan cooking classes, going back to school, and who knows what else. Or maybe I’ll just be content to keep things as is, but with more wiggle room to try new things. Half the fun is figuring it out, I guess.

Several months ago, one of my girlfriends organized a monthly meet-up inviting a group of friends who are all fellow entrepreneurs/business owners. I couldn’t say “count me in” fast enough, knowing it would be a great way to connect with other women who are balancing their businesses (with motherhood, for some), while facing many of the same questions and doubts that I’ve faced myself. In our group we have a photographer, an interior designer, a mortgage broker, an esthetician, a real estate agent, and me, the blogger/future cookbook author. They are all such amazing women and it’s a fun, random mix of experiences and talents. It’s been refreshing to share our struggles and victories together and I’ve even surprised myself at how much I needed this support system. Self-reliance has always been my strength (to a fault, perhaps), but there is no weakness in asking for help, support, or friendship. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

tofuquiche 8655   Sun dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

Sun-dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

Vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free

By

print icon   Sun dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

This delicious, nutrient-packed tofu quiche is adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook. Thanks to Ashley for reminding me to make it! It was my first time making a tofu quiche and it really surprised us with how amazing it turned out! Even Eric went crazy for this quiche, often enjoying leftovers twice a day until it was finished. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack. I've made this a few different ways simply by changing up the vegetables used. One version used asparagus (1 cup diced) and broccoli (1.5 cups diced), which was also very nice. The only thing I would advise against is using a high-water vegetable, like fresh tomatoes as it might result in a water-logged quiche. Best of all, it reheats well. Simply place leftover quiche on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F.

Yield

• 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4-1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • Red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a round 10-inch tart pan. Alternatively, you can use a 9-inch glass pie dish if desired.
  2. Wrap rinsed tofu in a few tea towels. Place a few books on top of it to lightly press out the water while you prepare the crust.
  3. For the crust: Whisk together flax and water mixture in a small bowl and set aside so it can gel up.
  4. In a large bowl, stir together the almond meal, oat flour (or buckwheat flour), parsley, oregano, and salt.
  5. Add in the flax mixture and oil. Stir until mostly combined, adding the remaining water until the dough is sticky (about the consistency of cookie dough). The dough should stick together when you press it between your fingers.
  6. Crumble the dough evenly over the base of the tart pan (or pie dish). Starting from the centre of the pan, press the mixture evenly into the pan, working your way outward and up the sides of the pan. Poke a few fork holes in the dough so air can escape.
  7. Bake the crust at 350F for 13-16 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool while you finish preparing the filling. Increase oven temperature to 375F.
  8. For the filling: Break apart the tofu block into 4 pieces and add into food processor. Process the tofu until smooth and creamy. If it doesn't get creamy, add a tiny splash of almond milk to help it along.
  9. In a skillet, add oil and saute the leek (or onion) and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook on medium-high heat until most of the water cooks off the mushrooms, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in the herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until combined. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
  10. Finally, remove from heat and stir in the processed tofu until thoroughly combined. Adjust seasoning to taste if desired. Spoon mixture into baked crust and smooth out with a spoon until even.
  11. Bake quiche, uncovered, at 375F for 33-37 minutes, until the quiche is firm to the touch. For best results, cool the quiche for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before attempting to slice. The crust may crumble slightly when sliced warm, but not to worry.
  12. Wrap up leftovers and refrigerate for 3-4 days. Leftover quiche can be reheated in the oven on a baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes at 350F.
Nutrition Info
261 calories16 grams5.5 grams13 grams

Jennifer@knackfornutrition August 27, 2013

This is definitely going on my list of recipes to try! Yum!

Dana @ Vanishing Veggie August 27, 2013

This looks so amazing! I made Ashley’s a few weeks ago and it turned out so fantastic. I’ll have to whip this up ASAP!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green August 27, 2013

I’ve never heard of tofu quiche before! Thanks for sharing. I’ve actually been quite jealous of all the egg-quiches on blogs lately so it’s nice to see a vegan one :)

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 27, 2013

Oh wow, this has so many of my favorite things! Will definitely give it a try, so thanks for sharing! About how much almond flour/ meal did you get from 1 cup of almonds? I have some almond meal I’m wanting to use up :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2013

Usually 1 cup whole almonds makes about 1 + 1/3 cups almond meal. Hope this helps!

Terri August 29, 2013

Thanks for this, I was going to ask the same question. I LOVE the healthy crust recipe and I can’t wait to try this quiche!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 27, 2013

Quiche has always been a favorite food of mine! It’s so easy to put together and really is good for any meal of the day. This quiche sounds wonderful! I love that you use almonds for the crust and that the main ingredient is tofu!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 27, 2013

I have got to try a tofu quiche! I make a crustless one with chickpea flour. It’s really cool how the flour sort of forms its own crust.

Jill August 27, 2013

Does the crust hold up pretty well? Do you think this recipe would freeze ok? I like the idea of having one of these in the freezer ready to go.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hey Jill, I didn’t try freezing it (didn’t last that long!) so I’m sorry I can’t be of help. Let me know if you do try it out.
The crust can break a bit if sliced warm, but when sliced cold it holds up great. Hope this helps!

Cassandra September 4, 2013

I did this tonight and my crust didn’t exactly “hold-up”. I’m not surprised though, for a GF crust. It only cracked a little during the pre-bake, it didn’t completely fall apart. Unless you’re planning on eating it with your hands it’s no biggie.

Jill September 5, 2013

Thanks for letting me know! Maybe I’ll just do a different crust.

Shanna August 27, 2013

Angela I LOVE those new recipe cards. They look fantastic!! So neat and organized. Tell Eric they look nice!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

He says thank you!!! :) and I do too.

Sage Grayson August 27, 2013

I’m an entrepreneur who works from home, and I completely understand what it’s like not to have a lot of social interaction in person. Your group of friends sounds awesome, and it’s so important to have a support network. And this quiche looks amazing!

Rachel August 27, 2013

This is definitely going on my list. Love the new recipe cards!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan August 27, 2013

I was JUST craving quiche, you read my mind! : ) I agree about the interactions, sometimes when I work from home I feel like I’m just shut off from the world!

Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget August 27, 2013

That looks fabulous! I always hear about making tofu “scrambled eggs” but to use this in a quiche is such a great idea. Now, can you find nutritional yeast at the regular supermarket?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

If reg. supermarkets have it, it’s usually in the natural foods/organic section (if they have one). OR bulk bins too. Goodluck!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 27, 2013

Ange this is so impressive! How you made quiche to look like quiche without using eggs just blows my mind! And the ‘shrooms and the sundried tomatoes. Two of my faves right there and I bet the texture of them in the quiche is just heavenly!

Stacie August 27, 2013

This looks delicious and I really want to make it! What would you recommend to use instead of nutritional yeast? I still want it to have that similar egg-y color. I’ve never been a fan of real cheese and I’ve heard that nutritional yeast has a cheesy taste.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hey Stacie, You can add a bit of turmeric to achieve a darker yellow colour – just be warned too much of it can impact the flavour. goodluck!

Lisa August 27, 2013

Could this be made crust-less? If not, what could be used instead of the almond meal? (almond allergies. . . )

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hi Lisa,
I would assume a crustless version would work – I’d probably spread it into a square pan lined with parchement paper so it can be lifted out. Not sure about the crust changes – I’ve only made it this way so far. Goodluck!

Emma August 27, 2013

I love tofu quiche so much! I saw Ashley’s version over at the Edible Perspective and bookmarked it- love yours with the mushrooms too :)
So pleased you’ve got some support outside the family from others in the same position as you Angela. I can imagine it’s nice to have some advice from people who can relate.

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} August 27, 2013

I have never tried making a tofu quiche and definitely have to give it a try. Great use for veggie odds and ends hanging around the fridge!

Jamie @lifelovelemons August 27, 2013

Loving every ingredient in here… Gorgeous and delicious!

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 27, 2013

Oh wow. I wish I had one of these already ready to eat. Like, right now!

jodea @ www.chillichocolatelove.com August 27, 2013

I have to laugh because I’m exactly the same – determined to do everything by myself. Sometimes we just need to let go!

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen August 27, 2013

“a self-professed workaholic”- yup! Right there with you. I’d love to make this quiche for my family, I think they’d really enjoy it. It’s amazing to see such a delicious, vegan version of a dinner that’s been a family classic for years.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 27, 2013

That group sounds like a really great idea. I often dream about working from home but I can imagine it would get a little isolating. I’m glad you are drawing support from one another.

I’ve never had quiche with tofu but I’d be willing to give it a try. This one looks perfect!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 27, 2013

I have been wanting to test out a tofu quiche for the longest time!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 27, 2013

Love your new pic, Ange! (At least I think it’s new!) And call me crazy, but I kinda like the taste and texture of tofu quiche more than egg quiche, so yours sounds amazing! That’s awesome that you found a women entrepreneurs group for support. I’m part of a similar one here, and it’s amazing how no matter how different two businesses can be, there are so many experiences that are the same. PS We really do need a lunch date soon! :)

Joanna August 27, 2013

I am so glad to be a part of this group too! Sooo I have been checking out a lot of your recipes and am planning on trying them as soon as my son starts school. You never know, I may be a future vegan!

Lori August 27, 2013

Is there any hope for those sad, sad people with soy allergies? :’( I miss quiches and frittatas… This one looks DIVINE!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hey Lori, I’ve heard of some people making vegan quiche with pureed chickpeas or other beans…it’s something I def. want to try out! Might be worth a shot.

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 28, 2013

There is a really great recipe for a bean-based quiche in the Veganomicon cookbook, FYI!

Liz August 28, 2013

Hannah over at BitterSweetBlog.wordpress has two chickpea flour-based quiches that you could probably adapt to work with Ang’s recipe. If you’re not familiar with/used to chickpea flour recipes, I’d suggest going another route as garbanzo bean flour has a VERY distinct taste that doesn’t always agree with people. (FYI, the flavor DOES change after cooking, so: a) don’t sample the batter raw, b) wait til cooking to judge the recipe.

Lori Beers August 28, 2013

Great tips!!!! Thanks for the heads up about the chickpea flour….I’ve never had it before! Guess there’s no harm in trying it :-) especially if there are sundried tomatoes and mushrooms!

Catherine @ foodiecology August 27, 2013

I can’t get over how much this looks like real eggs! I love sun-dried tomatoes (who doesn’t?), so I know this has to be delicious.

Alexis @ Hummusapien August 27, 2013

That crust looks beyond incredible…as for the filling–holy yum! Love the idea of that monthly meet up. What a great way to get away!

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.net August 27, 2013

This quiche looks amazing! I’m always on the look out for recipes to cook my vegan friends and I adore spinach.

Support systems are definitely a must. I would be lost without my girls.

Keri August 28, 2013

Good luck with what ever future endeavour you decide to concur…

just don’t ever leave me.

Emily - It comes naturally August 28, 2013

Wow! I never thought of making a vegan quiche. And all my favourite quiche flavours! Bit concerned about the fat content though?!?! Should I be?

Bulut August 28, 2013

Looks so good! If you ever want to make a soy-free version, you should try chickpea flour. The taste and texture turn out surprisingly authentic!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 28, 2013

Okay, you’ve got me totally intrigued! I’m going to try this because I didn’t know you could do tofu quiche!

Also, is it weird that I really like your quiche pan? :)

Stacy August 28, 2013

This looks delicious! Can regular flour be used in place of almond flour in the crust (we have nut allergies in our house)? Thanks for all the amazing recipes – I’ve been slightly addicted to the Blueberry Banana Pie Overnight Oats lately (just finished a bowl). :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hey Stacy, I haven’t tried the crust with other types of flour, but if you do let me know how it goes! I’m really not sure what to expect when subbing in crust recipes as they can be finicky at times.

Gwyneth Dunsford September 22, 2013

I subbed the almond meal with Bob’s Red Mill GF flour. Worked out just fine!
I also subbed in the mushrooms for fresh fall zucchini.

Audrey October 31, 2013

How much did flour did you use? I’m not gluten-intolerant or avoidant, and I’m trying to find a way to use ww flour for the recipe. Thanks :)

Karoline August 28, 2013

Looks amazing! Any thoughts on an almond replacement? My son has an intolerance. Thanks!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 28, 2013

I’ve had tofu as scrambled “eggs” before, but never as a quiche. I really want to try this!

Also that meet up sounds great – it must be nice to chat with people who you can relate with.

Lesley August 28, 2013

Hi Angela! This looks great. I have a question though — normally you shy away from using tofu in many of your recipes. What made you decide to try it in this one? Just curious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2013

Hey Lesley,
I wasn’t eating tofu for a while because I was trying to figure out the cause of my allergic reaction earlier this year. However, I’ve been bringing it back into my diet at long last.

Lesley August 29, 2013

Ah, makes sense! In that case, I look forward to more tofu recipes!

Cassandra August 28, 2013

Synchronicity! I just made a tofu quiche on Monday night, with kale and fresh basil. Quiche is great when it’s hot out because it can be eaten at any temperature. I didn’t make a crust, but yours looks fantastic!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! August 28, 2013

Strangely enough I have never made a quiche with a crust. I haven’t even had quiche since going vegan! This recipe looks like a good one to try!

Andrea B. August 28, 2013

I think you would be amazing at teaching some vegan cooking classes!! I can’t wait to see your cookbook and to see where you go from there.

I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe. I’ve never used tofu in place of “eggs” but this really looks amazing! I’m hoping my husband will like it as much as yours :)

Page 1 of 41234»