Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

rawchocolatefudgevegan 7500   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Instead of working behind the camera like I usually am, earlier this week I was in front of my favourite photographer’s lens working in a beautiful kitchen with a handful of recipes from my book. We were shooting some kitchen scene and outdoor photos to sprinkle in my cookbook. Our landlord was gracious enough to lend us her beautiful kitchen for the day so I was surrounded by gorgeous white cabinets, stainless steel, and a walk-in pantry. I had to pick my jaw off the floor when I walked in. What a dream!

Our wedding photographer, Dave Biesse, happened to be visiting family in Ontario this month and by a stroke of luck he was available to do the shoot at the last minute. Reuniting with him just shy of 5 years since our wedding and engagement shoot was a real treat. Dave is so warm, creative, and fun to work with. Not to mention, that Australian accent can make anyone feel at ease! Dave and Charlotte now live in Australia year-round so we don’t get to catch up nearly enough, but they will always be dear to us.

It’s been pretty chaotic around here, but exciting too. We stayed up into the wee hours of the morning for a couple nights preparing recipes, making lists, packing props, and making last minute grocery stores trips. Some recipes had to be made the morning of the shoot, so I was up super early prepping recipes and praying to the culinary gods that the food would stay fresh! Two packed coolers, 4 containers with props/appliances, a handful of freshly ironed clothing, one packed car, and a few butterflies for good measure.

A couple friends suggested that I hire someone to do my hair and make-up so I wouldn’t have to worry about it during the shoot. It sounded like a good plan, but after getting a trial done last week I ended up looking like I was going to meet the Queen. hah. I didn’t even recognize myself in the mirror. Not ideal. I don’t normally do dark eyes or maroon lipstick and I rarely curl my entire head of hair. Eric looked at me with a bit of horror on his face when he saw the finished look. It was priceless. In the end, I opted to do my own usual hair and make-up and I felt much more comfortable. Maybe it wasn’t super glam, but I felt like myself (on a good day, I suppose) which is all that matters.

I planned on taking lots of behind the scenes shots to show you, but unfortunately I didn’t have many spare moments during the day so I only snapped a couple.

Here is a picture of our landlord’s kitchen. Hello, dream boat!

kitchen 112857   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

This is a tiny glimpse of the chaos that took over shortly after we arrived in the AM. The entire family room was packed with our stuff. Each time we did a new shot/angle, we had to move everything around the kitchen and then set up the new recipe. The hardest part was not being able to eat all the food though!

kitchen 160143   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

When all was said and done, it felt like the day after a wedding. All this build up and then in the blink of an eye, it was over. Still, it’s nice to get back to everyday life where I’m free to get chocolate stains on my clothing and kale in my teeth.

rawchocolatefudge1   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

My Aunt Elizabeth made this raw chocolate fudge for our big family get together last week and it was a huge hit. Us ladies were all begging for the recipe which she adapted from the Company’s Coming Superfoods cookbook. This version below is an adaptation of both the original and Elizabeth’s version, swapping ingredients as I saw fit and cutting down the portion in half since it made so much.

rawchocolatefudgevegan 7549   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Even though this doesn’t have the texture of traditional fudge (it’s more like raw chocolate and smooth as silk), no one seemed to complain! It softens at room temperature (and melts in your mouth), so serve it straight from the freezer and chill leftovers as soon as possible. If you are a raw food purist and want a completely raw fudge use raw cacao powder and agave in place of the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Either way, it’s downright seductive.

rawchocolatefudgevegan 7578   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Email, text, or print this recipe

Lightly adapted from Company’s Coming Superfoods Cookbook & my Aunt Elizabeth

Yield: 24 small squares

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup raw almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or agave nectar)
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • 3/4 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped

1. With electric beaters, beat together the coconut oil and almond butter.

2. Sift in the cocoa powder and beat again until combined.

3. Pour in the maple syrup, vanilla, and salt and beat until smooth.

4. Stir in the walnuts.

5. Line a loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper. Scoop the chocolate mixture into the pan and spread out until even. I took another handful of walnuts, broke them up, and sprinkled over the top of the fudge for extra crunch and good looks.

6. Freeze uncovered for about 1 hour, or until solid. Slice into small squares and prepare to be seduced.

Nutritional Info

Note: I added a tablespoon of raw cacao nibs into my batch, but next time I will leave them out as I thought they were too crunchy in this fudge.

rawchocolatefudgevegan 7579   Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Mandy @ Eat Pray Grow July 31, 2013

On my to-make list! I’ve never made fudge before but, dangit, there’s a first time for everything!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 31, 2013

Angela that looks so good! I’ve actually seen baked brownie recipes that use AB with a little coconut oil, cocoa, etc. I love that you kept this raw! I used to post raw vegan chocolate fudge years ago…like 2009. Whoa time flies :) Cocoa, agave, coconut oil – that’s it! I love that you worked in AB to this!

And that is indeed a dreamboat kitchen :)

Luv What You Do July 31, 2013

OMG! This does look AMAZING! Can’t wait to make it : )

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine July 31, 2013

This fudge looks so easy and I have all of the ingredients on hand!! Mmm, I know what I will be making next! (:

Nancy July 31, 2013

Angela, this is freaking delicious! I just sat down to relax for the evening and had to get up immediately and make this (in about 7 mins flat, so fast and easy!) in my pjs and apron. Ha! Thanks for sharing. I licked the batter clean, but now it’s taking its sweet time in the freezer.

If I write a blog post, credit you but also put the recipe on my site – is that okay?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

that was fast! so glad you enjoyed it so far.
If you haven’t made any changes to the recipe, I prefer that you simply link back, but if you’ve modified it then go ahead and post your own version.
enjoy :)

Nancy August 1, 2013

Yeah I made them as soon as I saw the post. Guess I was in the mood haha. They only were in the freezer for 20mins and I tried one and it was BEST kind.

I haven’t modified the recipe, I’ll link back to you. Thanks for replying :)

Michelle Atchison December 2, 2013

mine is in the freezer now, doesn’t matter how it turns out (too mushy or dry) I know it will taste great cause I already licked the batter off of the mixing spoons!!

Kinsey July 31, 2013

This fudge looks incredible! The lighting is absolutely gorgeous in all of the photographs, too. Congrats on the photo shoot for the book, I’m eagerly anticipating its release!

sarah July 31, 2013

Omg yes! Love this. I make a fudge with dried fruit but was totally thinking its time to switch it up:)

Andrea July 31, 2013

Do you think I could substitute brown rice syrup for the maple syrup or agave? I have a huge jar I’m trying to use up!! Wasn’t sure if it would change the flavors or texture too much…can’t wait to make these!!! *drool!!*

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

Hey Andrea, Any liquid sweetener should work, although brown rice syrup will change the flavour a lot (I don’t think it would come out as sweet?). I would probably be inclined to try a smaller batch (maybe even a single serving) to see if you like the outcome. Then you don’t have to waste a whole batch if you don’t like it!

Sharon August 4, 2013

I just made these using 1/4 cup brown rice syrup and 1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup and they turned out wonderfully!

By the way, I am a huge fan of your blog, Angela. Every recipe I’ve tried of yours has been a hit at my house! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013

Thanks Sharon, so glad it turned out with your changes – enjoy the rest!

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen July 31, 2013

First you get us the other day with those nut and seed bites and now this! I can’t even handle how good this looks. Pinned and will definitely be making some of this for the holidays.

Antje July 31, 2013

Hello Angela, thank you for your lovely recipes! I´m a pretty new vegan, and while normal meals are not at all a problem (I was a vegetarian before, the adjustment is not that big), I thought I would never eat yummy snacks again! Looks like I was wrong, thanks to you;)
Now my question: what is almond butter? I`m from Germany and sometimes it`s a bit difficult to translate special foods. Is it really a kind of butter or more like pureed (spelling correct?!) almonds? What could I substitute it with? Or could I make it from scratch?
Lots of love from Germany, Antje

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

Hi Antje, If you click on the link in the ingredients list – I linked to a homemade recipe for almond butter (here it is just in case: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/02/26/homemade-raw-almond-butter/) . It’s basically processed almonds until they get smooth. You can substitute any kind of nut butter you prefer. So glad to hear my recipes are helping with your transition by the way! enjoy

Antje August 1, 2013

I overlooked the link (I was so excited about the recipe), thank you for answering so quickly.

Katrin August 22, 2013

Hi Antje, almond butter is “Mandelmus” in Germany (in case you didn’t find out already :-)! You can buy it in health food stores if you don’t want to make your own.

Sarah | The Sugar Hit July 31, 2013

Oh yum, this looks awesome! I’m not super into raw foods, but this just looks tasty.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 1, 2013

Your landlords kitchen really is beautiful! It seems like so much work to create a cookbook but I’m sure the end product will be well worth it. I’m also glad to hear you went for the natural look, I think that probably suits you more.

What a perfect recipe! I love how easy it is to make. And the pictures are incredible too! Did you have help with the action shots or did you use a remote?

Emily - It comes naturally August 1, 2013

I tried to make a vegan fudge, but it came out like a vegan caramel – never mind, it was great on top of banoffee cake :-) I’ll have to change up my raw vegan brownies for some of these! xx

Lauren @ The Highlands Life August 1, 2013

I seriously have almost everything on hand for this delicious looking fudge which clearly means I must make this ASAP. Love that kitchen and a behind the scenes peek.

Dawn @ Florida Coastal Cooking August 1, 2013

What a GORGEOUS setup! I bet that was a blast. I’m looking at starting to do more raw recipes on my website so this sounds like the perfect start. Thanks Angela!

Irena S. August 1, 2013

OMG The kitchen is to die for! x

The Vegan Cookie Fairy August 1, 2013

WOW. That looks DIVINE.

Quick question: that white background you use in your photos recently, what is it? I’ve been looking for something similar (i.e. white, smooth, slightly reflective, kind of like a mirror) for my own pictures but can’t figure out what kind of material I should buy, or how large the background should be.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

Hey Clem,
It’s a ratty old white cardboard actually! I think you can even see stains on it in the photos if you look closely. hah. I think I picked it up from Michaels? it’s been a while so I don’t exactly remember. I also use a larger white presentation board from Michaels too (it has the benefit of standing up on its own). The surface is a white marble slab. hope this helps!

Nicole @MyQuestForBalance August 1, 2013

This fudge looks unreal. I’m trying to kick my sweet tooth because it’s been a tad out of control with all of the summer parties and fro-yo trips, and you are killing me with this recipe! In a good way of course. I’m so happy all your recipes are health conscious so at least I won’t be straying to far from my goals if I keep whip this up one evening.

And you were right, your landlord’s kitchen is UNREAL. I had total kitchen envy. Glad you were able to enjoy yourself in that amazing space!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 1, 2013

1) I want that kitchen!

2) I can’t wait for your cookbook!

3) Now I want fudge. Curses!!! (I’m not a big walnut fan, I think some mac nuts would be right up my alley. I hope you don’t mind!) :-)

melanie August 1, 2013

i want that…right now! def on my to do list!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 1, 2013

Oh my goodness Ange, that second-last photo of the fudge looks amazing!! And wow – that kitchen is something of my dreams! Thanks for giving us a little behind the scenes glimpse. I agree with you on the hair thing – whenever I decide to get it put up by someone else, I pretty much always wish I’d not bothered and just done it myself! I think the way you do yours is gorgeous and so natural, so I can’t wait to see the shots for the book!

Jena@21days August 1, 2013

Oh. my. god. YUM!
I will be making these this week for sure. I’ll have to give away most of the batch because there is no way I’ll be able to just eat a reasonable portion!

Cara's Healthy Cravings August 1, 2013

I feel for your hectic long days of prep, shopping and shots! I am a food stylist assistant in Toronto, so I can relate! I spent 7 hours yesterday just shopping for six products! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

ahhh crazy! It’s amazing how much work it is.

Davida @ The Healthy Maven August 1, 2013

Do you think this would work with walnut butter or is it too gooey? Love the recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

It might work, however they might turn out a bit more “greasy” since walnut butter tends to be so slick.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 1, 2013

This is definitely dreamy. Yum!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! August 1, 2013

A photoshoot- how swanky! Can’t wait for the cookbook, and to make this fudge!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 1, 2013

Mmmm…I love fudge! I’ve never made my own before, but it sounds super easy! I really need to try it!

Lisa August 1, 2013

Making this, delicious! That kitchen is breathtaking.

amelia August 1, 2013

This is just wrong. Why do you make me drool so early on a Thursday morning? ;) I’m fresh out of coconut oil or this would be happening right now. Mmm! Going to sub in toasted pecans since I’m allergic to walnuts.

Sherry August 1, 2013

Wow – that is super exciting. Thanks for sharing the behind the scene details of your cookbook. I can’t believe how much work it all is. Can’t wait for the book

char eats greens August 1, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness….that kitchen!! You are so right. That is like, A DREAM!! I hope the photo shoot went well! I actually did a bridal photo shoot for a friend and we shot down in Burlington, so I HAD to get my make-up done the way they wanted and it was SO dark for me. I was afraid Nia was going to cry when she saw me, but luckily she didn’t! haha

Mmm, to this fudge. Thank for you having simple recipes lately that even I can tackle! haha

amy August 1, 2013

These last two recipes came at exactly the right moment! I think chocolate is the answer/cure-all for everything!! Can’t wait to make them!

On another note, I remember reading one of your posts where you were talking about organic cosmetics. Would you be kind enough to share the name of the line you were talking about? Thanks

Katie @ The Almost Vegan August 1, 2013

OMG – I want this like right now!! Looks amazing!!

Jill August 1, 2013

I’ve been kinda obsessed with almond butter fudge lately!

Kelly @ Vegan Iowan August 1, 2013

What a kitchen! These photos are beautiful. Can’t wait for your cookbook!

Jill August 1, 2013

Yum! Making this ASAP!

Angela S August 1, 2013

I took longer making breakfast this morning for my kids so I could make this. We just had some and it is divine. One child wanted more and I said later after we have done some jobs. He immediately went off and found some jobs to do!

Chris August 1, 2013

I love your recipes, thank you so much for them. I live in Spain and I do buy coconut oil for my skin but it is really expensive, only available from a health food shop, and I can’t imagine using it in any great quantity in cooking. It costs me more than 17 euros for 500ml. This is a tough call but can you think of any substitute that I could use that does not mean I have to mortgage the house?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2013

Hey Chris, That’s a tough one – the coconut oil is used in this recipe because it solidifies the fudge as it hardens when chilled. I don’t know of another substitute, but if I think of anything I will let you know!

Antje August 2, 2013

Hello Chris,
are there no Asian food stores in Spain? That`s where I buy my coconut oil (I live in Germany), and it`s like 3 or 4 euros for 500 ml.

Alethea August 16, 2013

We order ours via Amazon b/c we live in a rural area in the US. Just a thought.

sarah@thesweetlife August 1, 2013

These looks amazing and incredibly fudge-y. And that kitchen is dreamy. I hope one day I can make a mess in a kitchen like that :)

Joseph August 1, 2013

That kitchen looks almost as yummy as the brownies. Great photos, thanks for this recipe.

Page 1 of 41234»