Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

rawchocolatefudgevegan-7500

Instead of working behind the camera like I usually am, earlier this week I was in front of my favourite photographer’s lens working in a beautiful kitchen with a handful of recipes from my book. We were shooting some kitchen scene and outdoor photos to sprinkle in my cookbook. Our landlord was gracious enough to lend us her beautiful kitchen for the day so I was surrounded by gorgeous white cabinets, stainless steel, and a walk-in pantry. I had to pick my jaw off the floor when I walked in. What a dream!

Our wedding photographer, Dave Biesse, happened to be visiting family in Ontario this month and by a stroke of luck he was available to do the shoot at the last minute. Reuniting with him just shy of 5 years since our wedding and engagement shoot was a real treat. Dave is so warm, creative, and fun to work with. Not to mention, that Australian accent can make anyone feel at ease! Dave and Charlotte now live in Australia year-round so we don’t get to catch up nearly enough, but they will always be dear to us.

It’s been pretty chaotic around here, but exciting too. We stayed up into the wee hours of the morning for a couple nights preparing recipes, making lists, packing props, and making last minute grocery stores trips. Some recipes had to be made the morning of the shoot, so I was up super early prepping recipes and praying to the culinary gods that the food would stay fresh! Two packed coolers, 4 containers with props/appliances, a handful of freshly ironed clothing, one packed car, and a few butterflies for good measure.

A couple friends suggested that I hire someone to do my hair and make-up so I wouldn’t have to worry about it during the shoot. It sounded like a good plan, but after getting a trial done last week I ended up looking like I was going to meet the Queen. hah. I didn’t even recognize myself in the mirror. Not ideal. I don’t normally do dark eyes or maroon lipstick and I rarely curl my entire head of hair. Eric looked at me with a bit of horror on his face when he saw the finished look. It was priceless. In the end, I opted to do my own usual hair and make-up and I felt much more comfortable. Maybe it wasn’t super glam, but I felt like myself (on a good day, I suppose) which is all that matters.

I planned on taking lots of behind the scenes shots to show you, but unfortunately I didn’t have many spare moments during the day so I only snapped a couple.

Here is a picture of our landlord’s kitchen. Hello, dream boat!

kitchen-112857

This is a tiny glimpse of the chaos that took over shortly after we arrived in the AM. The entire family room was packed with our stuff. Each time we did a new shot/angle, we had to move everything around the kitchen and then set up the new recipe. The hardest part was not being able to eat all the food though!

kitchen-160143

When all was said and done, it felt like the day after a wedding. All this build up and then in the blink of an eye, it was over. Still, it’s nice to get back to everyday life where I’m free to get chocolate stains on my clothing and kale in my teeth.

rawchocolatefudge

My Aunt Elizabeth made this raw chocolate fudge for our big family get together last week and it was a huge hit. Us ladies were all begging for the recipe which she adapted from the Company’s Coming Superfoods cookbook. This version below is an adaptation of both the original and Elizabeth’s version, swapping ingredients as I saw fit and cutting down the portion in half since it made so much.

rawchocolatefudgevegan-7549

Even though this doesn’t have the texture of traditional fudge (it’s more like raw chocolate and smooth as silk), no one seemed to complain! It softens at room temperature (and melts in your mouth), so serve it straight from the freezer and chill leftovers as soon as possible. If you are a raw food purist and want a completely raw fudge use raw cacao powder and agave in place of the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Either way, it’s downright seductive.

rawchocolatefudgevegan-7578

4.5 from 2 reviews

Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, soy-free

By

My Aunt Elizabeth made this raw chocolate fudge for our big family get together last week and it disappeared incredibly fast. Us ladies were all begging for the recipe which she adapted from the Company’s Coming Superfoods cookbook. This version below is an adaptation of both the original and Elizabeth’s version, swapping ingredients as I saw fit and cutting down the portion in half since it made so much. Even though this doesn’t have the texture of traditional fudge (it’s more like raw chocolate), no one seemed to complain. It softens at room temperature (and melts in your mouth!), so serve it straight from the freezer and chill leftovers as soon as possible. If you are a raw food purist and want a completely raw fudge use raw cacao powder and agave in place of the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Either way, it’s downright seductive.

Yield
24 Small Squares
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Chill time

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup raw almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • 3/4 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped

Directions:

1. With electric beaters, beat together the coconut oil and almond butter.
  2. Sift in the cocoa powder and beat again until combined.
  3. Pour in the maple syrup, vanilla, and salt and beat until smooth.
  4. Stir in the walnuts.
  5. Line a loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper. Scoop the chocolate mixture into the pan and spread out until even. I took another handful of walnuts, broke them up, and sprinkled over the top of the fudge for extra crunch and good looks.
  6. Freeze for about 1 hour, or until solid. Slice into small squares and prepare to be seduced.
111 calories9.1 grams2.5 grams2.1 grams

Note: I added a tablespoon of raw cacao nibs into my batch, but next time I will leave them out as I thought they were too crunchy in this fudge.

rawchocolatefudgevegan-7579

Page 4 of 4«1234
Tammy April 7, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Best silkiest fudge ever! Thank you!

Kimberly m August 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I absolutely love this recipe ! I make it all the time . I would love to make it for my yoga studios gathering next week but I’m afraid that in the Kansas summer heat it will get all melty even indoors . Any suggestions for how I can alter the recipe to make it stand up a little more at room temperature ? I thought of adding dates into it but I’m just not sure how that would work . Or maybe if there’s another similar recipe you know of that would be a little more solid at warm room temperature ? I love your recipes and I have your cookbook and have made many of the dishes from it . A little more work and my husband might be open to being a vegan LOL !

Jessi Trusky March 15, 2016

This is so delicious and satisfying!!! Very rich and creamy. It reminded me of chocolatey cheesecake. It’s dangerous how easy it was to make :)

Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Haha, I totally agree: SO dangerous, Jessi! I’m happy to hear you like the recipe. :)

Rhonda January 7, 2016

My niece made this for me as a Christmas treat this past year and, well, let’s just say my taste buds rejoiced. Such a gorgeously rich chocolate fudge. p.s. I just made myself a batch and cannot wait until it’s out of the freezer.

rebekah November 13, 2015

Hi, I made this and the chocolate and oil separated before I even got to add the walnuts. Any ideas as to why? I’m wondering if it’s due to the hot climate here in Australia? It’s not overly hot inside but the coconut oil is melted (not white like it is in your pic). Otherwise I don’t understand why it’s not working, as I’ve made it once before and it worked fine …?

Suzanne August 29, 2015

Hi Angela,
I wanted to tell you that this recipe is delicious. I made a batch and couldn’t be happier with the results. I posted about it on my blog with a link back to you and your fabulous recipe.
Thanks so much,
Suzanne
Pieced Pastimes

Hayley July 14, 2015

This is a bit of a dumb question…. but once you have taken it out and have cut into squares, do you keep it in the freezer until you want some (or does it ‘melt’ at room temp?)…

Hayley July 14, 2015

Doh! I just saw a previous comment :)

Emily June 18, 2015

Hi i was hoping to replace aprox half of the liquid sweetener and coconut oil for dates how would u recommend i do that?

Teresa June 4, 2015

Angela, I could swear I made this previously without the nut butter and that I saw the idea for a nut butter-free fudge on your website. Am I going crazy? Is it possible to make this without the nut butter?

Jenny May 15, 2015

I keep a batch of these in my freezer @ all times!

priya March 5, 2015

Hello,

May I substitute coconut oil with any vegetable oil?

Safina July 8, 2016

No, you have to use coconut oil because it hardens when it gets cold. The coconut oil is what makes this fudge harden and hold together.

Lieke December 19, 2014

OMG. This is the best fudge ever. The taste profile is perfection. It’s super creamy and chocolaty with nutty, vanilla hints (i used peanut butter instead of almond butter). And it’s so easy to make, it’s crazy! Thanks so much for this awesome recipe!

Fanny November 30, 2014

No beaters here, would this work in a vitamix?

Erica Moore November 20, 2014

I would like to make this minus the chocolate nibs and cocoa powder, but would like to add bananas how many bananas would i need?

Kate November 5, 2014

Good stuff!!!

valesca October 16, 2014

I just made these last night and I have one question: Do you keep them in the freezer until you serve them or do you transfer to fridge after they are solid? I want to serve them in a few days so. And if (i hardly doubt it) if there are any pieces left do I just freeze them again?

Thanks a lot, the batter tasted promising! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2014

I usually leave them in the freezer until serving :) But the fridge might be fine too. Enjoy!

Natal July 21, 2014

I made these today and they where soooo good!!! Thank you so much for this recipe!!!

Vivian July 7, 2014

YUM! This is an beautifully decadent tasting treat. Thanks Angela!
I have your book too. Can all of your cookie recipes be easily doubled without any problem?

Sheri Johnson June 25, 2014

I made this fudge for a party on the weekend and it was absolutely delicious! I didn’t realize though that they need to be kept in the freezer or fridge – they sat out too long on the dessert tray while dinner was being served and turned into mush. It was okay though – the guests were forgiving and started licking their fingers and eating it with spoons!

abigail June 9, 2014

Is it even normal to like a recipe this much? Just took a small piece out of the fridge… 2 minutes later another one.. Have to force myself not to run back like a crazy person to eat everything.. My o my! Seductive? True that!

Faye April 29, 2014

I just tried my first batch. A truly wonderful, and seductive, candy. I didn’t have maple syrup hand so I used honey and the came out great. Thanks for the excellent recipe.

jkincolorado April 28, 2014

Just made this fudge. I was expecting it to turn out oily, but it was fantastic!! So fudgy and rich!

monica April 25, 2014

I would like to serve these at a party. Do you thing they will hold for the whole party?

Christy April 23, 2014

Oh my…I just made these yesterday morning and they are quite simply DIVINE. I used cashew butter and Texas pecans because that is what I had on hand – sooooo good!

Carla April 21, 2014

Agave is anything but raw. It is very highly processed.

Kcassidy April 21, 2014

I’m going to visit my grandchildren and they know me as the “I don’t have to see what grandma is putting in my mouth because I know it’s going to be delicious”, grandma……phew that was a mouthful. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Everything else I have made from Nom Nom Paleo has been so tasty so I know this will be as well!

Karen April 21, 2014

Do you measure coconut oil when it’s room temperature or do you melt it and then measure?

I am new to baking

Thank you.

MK March 22, 2014

These are the bomb, no joke! The walnuts were a great addition. This is actually almost identical to the raw fudge recipe that I ‘adapted/created’ myself after eating one of Hail Merry’s Miracle Tarts and attempting to copy the recipe from the ingredient list on the package! So addicting!

Sue March 15, 2014

Oh my gosh, I just made these with a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes on top and they were divine! So decadent (never though I’d say that about vegan food before trying your recipes hah), thanks Angela!!

Natalie February 25, 2014

Amazing recipe! I just made some and its in the freezer hardening up :) I was just wondering if its best stored in the freezer or fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2014

Either way is fine…depends on what kind of texture you prefer. Freezer will make them a bit firmer. enjoy!

Olga February 24, 2014

These are amazing ! the taste is so subtle and … seductive, the title is just right ! We had them for dessert after your basil and cashew pesto lasagna (again!) and I must say I am really thankful for all the recipes you post, they’re so delicious and packed with flavor and healthy (when eaten in moderation!) as to make you want to eat little extras between meals, just because they’re so tasty. For example, eating your lasagna at 4pm is perfectly ok for me :) Thanks Angela !

Krystyna February 16, 2014

OH MY GOD, just made them now, they are delicious, even before they are frozen and in still in a thick liquid state. The question is, how can I incorporate them into my breakfast routine?? :)

Paul February 16, 2014

Amazing velvety smooth and tasty fudge. I didn’t have any nut butter on hand so I made it with tahini. Holds together well but it’s messy (melts) on the fingers, possibly due to the tahini being too liquidy.

Lousi February 14, 2014

Oh my goodness! These are just awesome! Super easy and so good. My husband loved them too and he’s really picky about his dessert! Thank you so much for this recipe. I always have these ingredients on hand, so when I need a quick dessert for guests, this will definitely be what I’ll be making…

Pali February 13, 2014

Hi there :) I’ve just made this for a friend tonight. I’m sure she will enjoy it! I’m just wondering how long it will last out of the freezer. Or can I store it in a box when it’s ready? Thank you for your recipes. I do love them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2014

Hey Pali, I would store it in the freezer of fridge and not let it sit out long at all. I’m sure positive how long it will last but I would expect up to a month?

Pali February 13, 2014

Thanks, Angela. They are delicious!

ash February 13, 2014

I made this yesterday with the agave/cacao and without the salt/vanilla and tasted amazing!

Svetlana February 12, 2014

I made this to mail to my valentine and I ate some and they were TO DIE FOR! I don’t know how they’ll ship though hahaha. Good thing it’s reallllly cold everywhere!