Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

energyballsvegannutfree

I often think of blog posts when I’m lying in bed trying to fall asleep. Sometimes my mind is just so clear late at night. Plus, I’ve learned you have to embrace creativity when it’s here and ride it out when it’s not. Some days it strikes at 1:30pm and others it’s 1:30am.

Tonight, the clock reads 11:58pm and ideas are flooding into my mind. Hours before, I sat at the computer drawing a complete blank, so I welcome this wave of inspiration. I now have that awkward decision of whether I’m inspired enough to drag myself out of bed and down the hall to the office. This time I do and Eric murmurs something to me as I leave. The computer screen comes on and I’m blinded for a good minute, squinting my eyes until they adjust.

I type out my recipe ideas into my Google Drive document (yes, I finally got rid of my paper notebook!) and then I start writing a post. When I feel like I’ve dumped everything out of my mind, I turn off the computer and head to bed. It doesn’t take very long until I’m fast asleep for the night.

energyballs

Many moons ago, I promised you a nut-free energy bite recipe. Today, I’m making good on my word and I believe this is the only nut-free energy bite recipe on my blog to date. Now, you know I love my nuts (there is just no good way to write that), but I’m a big fan of adding seeds into my daily diet too. If you follow me on Instagram you might have witnessed my recent obsession with adding hulled hemp seeds in smoothies. I just can’t get enough of these omega-3 and protein rich seeds. I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back to protein powder again!

Hulled hemp seeds do have a strong flavour – sometimes too strong if used with abandon – so in an effort not to allow their earthy flavour to take over a sweet treat, I decided that a chocolate flavour would work nicely to balance it out. Obviously, chocolate is the solution to every problem. Every time.

Into the food processor go pitted medjool dates and equal portions of sesame, chia, hemp, and cocoa powder. I added a bit of sea salt, vanilla, and cinnamon for flavour enhancing and a scoop of cacao nibs for some awesome crunch. Raw cacao nibs are quite bitter on their own, but in these bites they work well adding antioxidants, fibre, magnesium, and more. Feel free to use mini dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate if you prefer. Leftovers are ready in the freezer for any snack attack and they are great when you’re running out the door in the morning!

superseedchocolateenergybites

PS- Thanks to my partner in crime for his crazy stacking skills!

energyballsvegan-7490

Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Email, text, or print this recipe

Makes 16 bites

Ingredients:

• 1 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (12-13 large)
  • 1/4 cup hulled hemp seed
  • 1/4 cup chia seed
  • 1/4 cup sesame seed
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (or mini dark chocolate chips)

1. Add dates into processor and process until a chunky paste forms.

2. Add in the hemp, chia, sesame, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Process until thoroughly combined. Pulse in the cacao nibs. The dough should be sticky when pressed between your fingers. If it’s not sticky enough to shape into balls, add a small amount of water (a teaspoon at a time) and process until it comes together.

3. Shape dough into small balls (about 16) and freeze for 20 minutes or so until firm. Store leftovers in the freezer until your next snack attack hits.

Nutritional Info

energyballsvegan-7489

Hope you have an energetic start to your week!

1 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 29, 2013

Protein bites are probably one of my most favorite snacks! They’re super easy to make and they are perfect for on-the-go. These sound delicious!

2 Laura July 29, 2013

Great! I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate more hemp. Do you ever make your own hemp milk?

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Funny you ask – that’s on the agenda this week! I’ve heard you don’t have to strain it, so I’m excited to try it out. :)

4 Sarah July 29, 2013

They say you can strain it, but I didn’t. Since I use it mostly in smoothies! But it’s quick and easy; you don’t have to soak!

5 Laura Fraser July 29, 2013

That’s why I asked! I guess with a high-speed blender it’s the easiest milk to make

6 Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective July 29, 2013

I’m still new to the blogging world, but I’ve learned inspiration truly does strike at the most random times. I use Evernote on my phone and I just jot down ideas when they come to to me throughout the day. It’s fun to see how people come up with their own blog ideas!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

I’ve been meaning to check out Evernote…sounds very helpful for when you are away from a PC!

8 Jorge July 29, 2013

Can wait to make these, they look AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!

I carry a very small Sony dictation recorder, which has a built-in USB plug to transfer the files over to the PC. This little gadget is a real marvel. I can dictate my thoughts and ideas even as I am driving my LandCruiser with the windows down!!

Yes, inspiration strikes at odd moments, and needs to be captured quickly. This little recorder has been fantastic.

Cheers!!

9 Jill July 31, 2013

I love Evernote and totally recommend it!

I’m stocking my freezer with stuff since I head back to work next week and I recently made bars that are pretty similar to these. So perfect to grab right out of the freezer. I’m going to be making some apple-cinnamon ones later today too, I think.

10 Jessica @ conveganence July 29, 2013

I’m new to the blogging world too. Inspiration can be hard to come by, but when it strikes, I’m usually in the shower, at yoga class, or in other situations where writing isn’t practicable :)

11 Maggie July 29, 2013

Brb going to make these. They look amazing! And I have some travel coming up… hellooo, travel snacks!

(also am always looking for new and exciting healthy chocolate recipes for my non-vegan boyfriend… ever since I stopped buying process sugar, he’s gotten way fewer surprise desserts from me!)

12 Stephanie July 29, 2013

Many vegan recipes similar to this, and raw desserts, call for Medjool dates. I have always wondered if prunes could be used as a substitute for dates?

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Hey Stephanie, I must say I have never used prunes in a recipe before! I’m sure they would work similar to dates, but I’m not sure how the flavour would change. I love dates b/c they have a caramel-like flavour. Let me know if you try it out!

14 Carolyn Y.Cobb May 1, 2015

Ihave made these seeded bites several times using the dates. This last time no dates in the house I used prunes. They work the same as for texture, and are sweet enough but the prunes have a aftertaste that is somewhat acidic. The taste is not off putting but I like the mellowness of the dates. I also did not have sesame seed so I used ground flax seed.I got tired of waiting for the bites to not be so cold out of the freezer , I tried something different. I did not put the nibs or cho chips in the shaped balls but ground them up into a powder and rolled the bites in the powder. They came out like a powdered truffle. I can keep them in the fridge and eat them faster.these little jewels are a good source of fiber for us senior citizens. Good eating everyone!

15 Mandy @ Eat Pray Grow July 29, 2013

This reminds me of the delicious protein bar recipe my midwife gave me – it’s packed with ground seeds, almonds, coconut oil, etc. – lots of good protein and fat for baby! It’s in bars, though, which I like because I’m too lazy to roll it into balls – and the chocolate is melted with some coconut oil and poured in a layer over the top. I might have to try this (in bar form, let’s be honest) as a variation on it!

16 Margaret April 26, 2014

Would love the recipe your midwife gave you Mandy

17 Ksenija @ Health Ninja July 29, 2013

Perfect! I have been searching for a new protein ball recipe for some days now and this one sounds just like what I would love for a snack at the moment. Will make them as soon as I bought some hemp seeds.

18 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 29, 2013

These look great! They remind me on the superfood bites from Navitas Naturals…which I love! So I am happy to see I can make a homemade version!

19 Lauren @ The Highlands Life July 29, 2013

Love these! As a momma to a 10 month old, I’m always looking for easy to grab power snacks!

20 Annie July 29, 2013

YUM! I just bought some flax seed so will try that in place of the sesame seeds. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela! :)

21 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 29, 2013

I was JUST thinking about making protein bars or bites this morning – I’m so glad that I found this recipe, they look amazing! <3

22 Sarah July 29, 2013

These look absolutely amazing- both the ingredients as well as the wonderfully-stacked finished product :) It sounds crazy, but I’m generally not a huge chocolate person, but when I crave it, it’s always in some hearty, not-too-sweet form. Needless to say, these sound perfect!

Also, quick gushy moment- I recently entered into a place in life where I’m really wanting to detox my life, both physically and emotionally. When I woke up this morning and craved inspiration, this was the first place I came to! Your story is so inspiring, and I love your posts with their combination of humor, personality, and heart. I guess it’s kind of No-Chicken Soup for the Soul (remember those?).

So, thanks :)
Sarah

23 Angela July 29, 2013

Sarah, you are so sweet – thank you for the lovely words! I just checked out your blog and it’s fantastic. All the best with your changes :)

24 Lou July 29, 2013

…and not a moment too soon. When my PMS-ing ways threaten to sabotage my healthy lifestyle, you’ve sent these chocolate bites to the rescue. Thank you! Thank you!

25 Richele July 29, 2013

Oh these look delicious! I have a recipe similar to this one and i am obsessed! But i will for sure be trying this one :)

26 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! July 29, 2013

I love hemp seeds! Can’t wait to try this one out :) Kudos to Eric for those mad stacking skills!

27 Dory Diaz July 29, 2013

I do something very similar to these, but I use agave and coconut oil instead of dates. I love the flavor and texture, and they’re perfect when I’m craving sweetness!

28 char eats greens July 29, 2013

You must had read my mind because I was JUST about to look for a good date recipe today. (No, honestly, I have the dates sitting on my counter staring at me!) These look fabulous and just what I need to send off with Tyler on his long work days ;)

29 Marilou Garon July 29, 2013

These are welcome addition, thank you! We love nuts but school/day camp don’t allow them in lunchboxes so I was very hapy to see this recipe! I know hemp seeds are the point of the post – but I didn’t have any and have to wait until next paycheck to pick some up at Coston :) I substituted 1/4 cup of pepitas and it turned out delicious.

30 Angela July 29, 2013

Good call on the pepitas! So glad you enjoyed them.

31 Terry July 29, 2013

These look delicious. Just wondering if the chia seeds swell too much (or at all) if water is added?

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hi Terry, I didn’t need to add any water, but I doubt they would be impacted with such a small amount of water. enjoy!

33 sarah July 29, 2013

YUM! I have been trying to ease off the nuts, its easy to over do it. These look perfect, and chocolate you cant go wrong with chocolate.

34 Dopher August 9, 2014

>ease off the nuts

35 Maria Tadic July 29, 2013

These look super yummy! Perfect breakfast on the run! Do you have the calorie information by chance???

36 Angela July 29, 2013

Hey Maria, Yes I do – there’s a link at the bottom of the directions. Hope this helps!

37 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan July 29, 2013

1. Those stacking skills are amazing!! 2. I totally hear you on this one, I often get inspiration when I’m driving or in the middle of a conversation or meeting, I have to scribble it down before it escapes!

38 rachel July 29, 2013

These look great but my partner can’t eat dates.Do you have any suggestion for substitutions?

Thanks!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

hmm, that’s tricky. What about prunes or raisins? I can’t vouch for how it would taste though. good luck!

40 lauren July 29, 2013

I love hemp seeds! I agree they are great in smoothies. These sound perfect for summer snacking at work. It can be tricky packing snacks when I work out of my car :)

41 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur July 29, 2013

I recently made something just like these. I love chocolate and dates together, so I don’t really need an excuse to eat them, but I love the addition of all the wonderful seeds, and especially the nibs!

42 Marissa@ohhhsolovely July 29, 2013

these look so delicious…and the stacking made for an awesome pic!

43 Marisa July 29, 2013

Ok, these need to be made into a brownie bar right now! Maybe with some avocado icing?
My only complaint, the recipe doesn’t make more. Don’t judge me for cleaning out the bowl with a spoon….

44 Angela July 29, 2013

I was thinking the same thing about putting a frosting on them and calling it dessert :) great minds think alike. Silly me couldnt stop eating them long enough to try it out though.

45 Willow July 29, 2013

Mmm – I’ve had protein bites/bars on the mind for a few weeks now… definitely about time I make a batch! I tend to dump as many seeds into my smoothies and protein bars as I can manage, so these sound just perfect. Will have to give them a try! Nom!

46 Kendra July 29, 2013

Well Yee-Haw!!! I have all of these ingredients in my fridge and cupboard.

47 Angela July 29, 2013

love when that happens :)

48 Laura July 29, 2013

Those look amazing! Definitely going to make them this week. I have shared with your sister that I am a wee bit obsessed with your blog. I have recently gone Vegan with the odd source of lean meat as protein and I am feeling great! Thanks for all your creative and tasty ideas!

49 Angela July 29, 2013

Hey Laura! I need to start paying that sister of mine for promotion! heheh. Thanks for your kind words. Did we happen to meet a couple years ago at the gym by chance?

50 Laura August 1, 2013

Why yes, we did meet at the gym a few years back. Thanks for all your hard work and yummy recipes! Can’t wait for the book to come out!

51 Angela August 1, 2013

Thanks Laura :) Hope to see you next time I’m visiting!

52 Andrew Olson July 29, 2013

I hate to say it, but I’ve never used whole hemp seeds. I see them all the time and have never had a good reason to try them (until now). This super seed combo sounds amazing together.

The pyramid is so cool — those ARE some crazy stacking skills! :)

53 Katie July 29, 2013

Angela- once again an amazing recipe and photos! You are such inspiration for my blog.

54 Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan July 29, 2013

Hi girl! I’m posting a very, very similar recipe tomorrow. I promise I didn’t copy! I made my version to take along for a hike I did this weekend. I’ll chalk it up to “great minds think alike.” :)

55 Angela July 29, 2013

hahah oh don’t you hate when that happens? Story of the life of a food blogger. It’s so easy to come up with similar recipes, esp. when they are simple ones. :) anyway, I would never think twice about it!

56 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 29, 2013

Pinned!! Love these Angela! The seeds, grain-free, the dates (love!), the cocoa – nibs and powder,they’re no bake, and there’s no nuts. Although I do love cashews in raw/vegan unbaking desserts and treats many times, it’s nice to see recipes without them because they can get a little heavy at times and these are so clever. Yum!

57 Elizabeth @ Elizabeth's Garden Kitchen July 29, 2013

These look awesome! I love dates in desserts and energy bars. Hard to believe I wouldn’t have even thought to use them in recipes a year ago. Now that I’m trying to eat raw more often, I use them often!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

I was never a big date consumer until fairly recently too! They are sooo good.

59 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 29, 2013

Wow, those ARE some crazy good stacking skills! Tell Eric he should moonlight as a food stylist lol! I totally know what you mean with the recipe inspiration coming at crazy times. I often think about recipes as I’m falling asleep (or rather, the thinking keeps me awake), and if it weren’t for it being dark outside, I’d probably get out of bed and make them!

60 Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile July 29, 2013

Angela! So funny that we posted almost the same recipe on the same day! Wow! Great minds think alike ;) I like that yours has hemp seeds. I need to pick up some of those at Sprouts!

61 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health July 29, 2013

Ahh, yes. Chocolate is indeed the solution to every problem. ;)
I think it was a great idea to get up and write a post. Sometimes you just have to get it out in order to relax.
I just bought hemp seeds to add to roasted sweet potatoes as you suggested and I may have to use some of them for this recipe because they look great! And we’re going hiking next weekend so I’ll need something for a quick snack!

62 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 29, 2013

I’ve been loving hemp seeds lately – especially since I can get them from Costco for a good price! And combined with chocolate? Even better!

63 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 29, 2013

I definitely need to try these! Love!

64 Tami @Nutmeg Notebook July 29, 2013

Such a cute photo – do like making these once in a while – great travel snacks. Thanks so much for providing nutritional information.

65 Jen July 29, 2013

Thank you for the nut free snack!!
Just wanted to let you know that a vegan with a nut allergy is reading your blog and appreciating your nut-free post =)

I’ve learned very quickly to sub seeds in for recipes that call for nuts, but it’s always nice to come across a recipe that I can try in it’s original form =)

Thank you!!!

66 DessertForTwo July 29, 2013

These look SO great! Thanks for the recipe! :)

P.S. If I had a dollar for everytime my husband helped me with food styling, I’d have $0. Go Eric for helping stack the bites :)

67 Britt @Better Living XoXo July 29, 2013

Oh my goodness! I think i’m going to be making these first thing in the morning!
I have all the ingredients on hand and they look absolutely delicious!

68 Robyn Donaldson July 29, 2013

Thanks for this recipe, I needed a healthy snack that is easy to make. I also like that it has a lot of protein, perfect treat for after my workout meal.

69 Rayne July 29, 2013

Delicious!!! Thank you so much :-)

70 Katy @ Katy's Kitchen July 29, 2013

I love these! I purchased some hemp hearts for the first time last week and I’m totally obsessed. They seem to go with just about everything and that slightly sweet flavour is amazing. Sometimes they can even seem salty on salads. I bet they’re wonderful in these energy bites!

71 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 30, 2013

That is exactly how my brain operates so I can definitely relate. I will scribble down ideas in random places and often lose them but have started typing them in the notes section on my iPhone.

72 becks July 30, 2013

sounds like a fab recipe but do you have an idea what I could substitute for the hemps seeds as they are illegal where I live (New Zealand). I can buy an animal feed ( that is fit for human consumption) made of the left over hemps seeds after the have been pressed for oil do you think this would work?

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hmm, I haven’t seen that type of hemp before. It could work. I would suggest using sunflower seeds if you can get your hands on some.

74 Emily - It comes naturally July 30, 2013

Yummy! I love to have chocolate protein balls in my freezer for instant dessert. Definitely have to try these nut-free version. Just need to get some more cacao powder…

75 Alysia Chick July 30, 2013

Way to go Angela, these look delicious, easy and nutritious!
I always like to try new bliss ball combos, so thank you :) xx

76 Jamie @lifelovelemons July 30, 2013

MMMmmmmm how yummy looking!

77 Lisa July 30, 2013

Look delicious, what can I use in place of hemp seeds as having trouble finding them? Thanks

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hi Lisa, I would try raw sunflower seeds :)

79 Carole July 30, 2013

Wow..yum! Your website is an inspiration :) I also love the pretty design and font on the first photo, how did u do that?

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Thank you Carole, I used Photoshop to write the text.

81 Piper July 30, 2013

These look amazing. Was super keen to try them, and coincidentally had everything in the cupboard, except the hemp seeds. I’ve seen them mentioned in a couple of blogs, on twitter/instagram, so this gave me the push to go out and get some. Living in Western Australia, it can sometimes be hard to find particular health foods, especially ‘newer’ ones, so I hit up the internets to try to find a local stockist. Unfortunately I had very little success, as it turns out hemp (in all its forms) is not legal for consumption in Australia. Most upsetting. What would you suggest as a sub? Could I just up the amounts of chia & sesame to compensate? Or would flax work?

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hey Piper, I would suggest trying sunflower seeds if you can get them, if not other seeds should work fine. Enjoy!

83 Pixie July 30, 2013

THANK you! You may very well have solved my problem of how to get any kind of little omega-3 seeds into my husband. Not in smoothies, not in cereal, not in anything I can easily do (with gluten issues). He does love any kind of date/chocolate ball. Why didn’t I think of hiding chia in it? :D Thank you, again!!

84 Ashley @ Blissful Basil July 30, 2013

These look amazing! I’ve been wanting to try hemp seeds but haven’t been sure what to do with them… until now. Will definitely be making these this week.

Side note: your photography is so, so lovely. I’ve been following your blog for the past couple of years and it just gets better and better, and truly inspires me to work on my photography skills. Can I ask: what did you use to get such a crisp white background in the stacking photos? I’ve tried white foam board, and it always ends up looking like foam board in my pictures — not exactly the look I’m going for!

85 Christina A July 30, 2013

Anything you would add in place of the sesame seeds? I’m allergic. Maybe just increase the proportions of the other seeds?

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Yes I would increase the others or try sunflower seeds :) enjoy!

87 sandra Tranmer July 30, 2013

Oh, the only ingredient I’m missing are the dates! Well, I’m off on a quick shopping trip so I can try those as soon as possible. My son just saw the word “chocolate” and insisted I made them as soon as possible! :D
xx

88 Christina July 30, 2013

I made these and they are delicious. I didn’t have hemp seeds or sesame seeds so I used hemp protein powder and sunflower seeds. They came out delicious and I know I will be making them again. They’re perfect for when you need a little pick-me-up. Thanks for the great recipe!

PS: I made a parfait with them the other day. I made a banana pudding my blending bananas, rice milk and a bit of vanilla extract in my blender till it was thick and smooth. Then I alternated between layering the energy bites and some fresh blueberries in a tall glass with the pudding. It was delicious.

89 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped July 30, 2013

These look great! I love making protein truffles, or what I like to call “globes”. I actually have a recipe similar to these ones, thanks for sharing your variation :)

90 Kristen July 30, 2013

mmm we love adding hemp seeds to morning smoothies too. They are so filling :) Love making energy ball variations each week for snacks. Going to have to try cacao nibs. These look delish!

91 Emma July 30, 2013

I’m loving hemp seeds at the moment and obviously chocolate makes everything better :) I bet the cacao nibs add a really nice crunch to these nutrient-packed treats.

92 Amanda July 30, 2013

These look amazing! I love dark chocolate, but have always found the raw cacao nibs too bitter for my liking. I’m excited to have a recipe to throw them into!!

93 Laura @ The Green Forks! July 30, 2013

Oh wow- GENUIS!

94 Krissy July 30, 2013

Do you think I could make this with nutiva hemp protein in place of the hemp seeds?

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hey Krissy, Is that hemp protein powder? I think powder could dry these out, so I’m not sure. I would add a very small amount at a time.

96 Wynne July 30, 2013

I’ve had hemp seeds in the pantry for months, and this recipe inspired me to open the package. The bites are great! I think they could be good with prunes and will let you know when I try that. Thanks!

97 Molly July 30, 2013

I just made a batch and they were delicious. I am so appreciative that you made them nut-free. Due to my allergies I’m always substituting other ingredients for the nuts but this made it a lot simpler and I finally got to taste the recipe as is! Yum!

98 Catherine July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for a nut free energy snack!!! These look amazing–I will definitely be making them this weekend :D

99 Robyn B | Modern Day Missus July 30, 2013

GREAT recipe – I love all the things in those.

I always keep a stash of bliss balls in the fridge at work for something sweet after work, and these will be making an appearance.

100 Donald @ Tea Time July 31, 2013

I love them, I eating them from 2 days now!

101 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green July 31, 2013

I bought hemp seeds a few weeks ago and I haven’t cracked them open yet.. I guess I couldn’t think of how to use them (and I kinda forgot I had them in the cupboard). Thanks for posting this – I’m going to try it out!

102 Liz @ LizzieFit July 31, 2013

AH these look fantastic! I’ve been looking for a snack bite recipe that doesn’t include loads of peanut butter or sweetener. Thanks for sharing :)

103 Julie July 31, 2013

I love your blog! I eat one of your oatmeal recipes everyday for breakfast I’m hooked.

I would love to try this recipe. Unfortunately I’m severely intolerant to chocolate. Do you have a substitution I could use.
Thanks :)
Happy

p.s. I read about you in the metro today :)

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hey Julie, Carob powder might work in place of the cocoa powder. I would add a little at a time since it has a strong flavour.

105 Jackie April 8, 2016

Hi Julie I substitute carob powder in any recipe that calls for chocolate for the same reason. It always works and no one knows I have used carob.

106 Sofía Castro Viera August 1, 2013

OMG!!! These bites are SOOOOO good!!!! Wasn’t sure where to find hemp seeds in Buenos Aires -and couldn’t wait to try it, they seemed so delicious and easy to make- so I replaced them for coconut… Excellent! Looooooove them. Like everything else I’ve tried from your recipes, they are fantastic and your instructions and photos always make things super easy to follow! I am so grateful for the day I came across your blog, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

107 Electra August 1, 2013

Hey Angela! I want to make these but am having difficulties splurging on hemp seeds-they are so expensive! Any advice on a brand or alternative?-or should I just take the plunge?

108 Jennifer August 1, 2013

These were very good. Even my grandparents liked them. :-)

109 kimmythevegan August 1, 2013

Awesome! I love the idea of a nut-free snack ball. And packed with some nutritious power houses!
And inspiration most definitely never hits anytime after 7pm for me haha ;p

110 Lauren August 2, 2013

As someone who used to love to cook, then got waaaay to busy with a crazy job, thank you for re-awakening my love of preparing fresh, delicious food. I made these this morning and right away, made another batch as I could tell from tasting-as-I-prepared them, that these are a hit. I’m pretty sure even my carnivore husband will love them. Thanks for the inspiration and the great recipes!

111 LeeAnn August 3, 2013

Just finished making these … hope I can wait until the 20 freezer minutes are up. Really good.

112 Imogen August 4, 2013

I made two batches of these this weekend (one for me, one for a gift). The second batch I rolled in shredded coconut– this was a great addition!

Angela, I do have one question about substituting though. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so dried fruit is something I need to consume in very small amounts due to the sugar content. If I was to sub out half of the dates in order to reduce the sugar content, what could I include in it’s place?

Thank you! :)

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013

Hmm, that’s a tough one – the dates act as a binder and sweetener, so you’d need to replace it with something that helps the mixture stick. I would probably try adding a bit of water to help make the mixture sticky (add 1 teaspoon at a time) and then I’d probably add some nut or seed butter since it helps bind too. good luck!

114 Tiff Bradley August 4, 2013

I just made these and they are amazing! My kids walked in while I was pulsing the dates and I was afraid they wouldn’t try them. But…they did. Not sure if they will make it in the freezer for the 20 minutes, the kids are searching for them. Oh well. Thanks!

115 Candice August 6, 2013

Just what I was looking for! Thanks for the recipe. Can’t wait to make these tomorrow. Perfect for a late night snack or to bring to work when my afternoon cravings strike.

116 Bonnie August 7, 2013

I made these today, and love them! I’m just starting marathon training again, and am looking for fun, protein packed snacks instead of always using protein powders (especially since I can’t have dairy or gluten). It’s hard to stop eating them. :)

117 em@simplypresent August 8, 2013

I have never used seeds in baking, but I’ve been desperately seeking a healthier option to protein bars… Maybe I’ll be brave and give this one a try. Thanks!

118 Barbara August 8, 2013

Loved these! They were easy to make and are packed full of nutrition. These will be a regular snack at our house. Thanks!

119 Lisa August 10, 2013

Thank you for this recipe – they’re delicious and so incredibly easy to make! My 23 month old got a huge kick out of making them with me and he loved them as well (even thought he got his own little mini bites)! They may also become a go-to as far as my gifts to new moms – an ideal one handed snack! Thanks again.

120 Karen August 10, 2013

I made these Chocolate Protein Bites for the first time this morning. This is my new favorite recipe. Love the chocolate flavor and the crunch. I lightly rolled them in dark cocoa powder and they look exactly like my favorite chocolate truffle (without the guilt). Thanks for the inspiration!

121 shivani August 12, 2013

hi there! i was wondering what if we dont have a food processor? does a normal blender work okay? :) cant wait to try these!!!

122 shivani August 12, 2013

oh and one more thing- what brand of cacao nibs is the healthiest/organic/least processed? i dont know where to find those! thanks so much for your time :) xx

123 Tara@PNWRunner August 12, 2013

I have become obsessed with making protein bites. I must try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!!

124 Stacy L. August 13, 2013

These are absolutely incredible and ridiculously easy!

125 Alexis August 15, 2013

I’ve never been super crazy about sesame seeds.. do you think that ground flax would work, or would it change the texture too much?

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013

You could always give it a shot! I’m not sure as I havent tried it, but let me know how it goes if you do.

127 Emy August 28, 2013

Hi Angela, I was just wondering if you used sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe. I have both at home but I think the unsweetened version might make it too bitter? I’m not sure so I thought I’d ask before wasting any ingredients or having to dunk these bites into actual chocolate haha! Thank you!

xx
Emy

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2013

Hi Emy, I always use unsweetened cocoa powder in my recipes – hope this helps!

129 Leah Banton September 11, 2013

These are fabulous!! I made these for the first time a few weeks ago and now I can’t live without them!! thanks Angela!

130 Nicolette September 12, 2013

Hey I love all of your recipes!! I’m thinking of buying a food processor since a lot of your recipes require one. Which one do you have?

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2013

I have a 14-cup Cuisinart processor – love it. I would probably get a smaller size next time though.

132 Deborah November 14, 2013

These are amaze-balls.

133 Stephanie J December 8, 2013

I’m very new to the vegan lifestyle. I’m trying to determine how much protein I am getting. Your nutrition information for this wonderful recipe gave the grams of protein per serving. However, I cannot find how many of these balls constitute a serving. Thank you!

134 Corinn February 27, 2014

Depending on the size you make your balls, one or two, about 30grams I believe.

135 Franzi February 18, 2014

OMG I just made these and added some natural organic orange zest. They came out amazing! Just like the orange chocolate coffees from all the coffee shops in winter. Now I can enjoy the taste without having to buy an over expensive coffee. Thank you Angela!

136 Juliet February 18, 2014

I’m stocking up today on my healthy treats for the week since its snowing up here in MA! These are amazing!! Do you think I could add crushed sunflower seeds to these, maybe throw some in the food processor for a few pulses? Trying to increase my vit e intake. Thanks!

137 Corinn February 27, 2014

We are in MA also Juliet.

138 Juliet February 18, 2014

Also, do you think I could make these into bars rather than balls for more travel friendly treats?

139 Corinn February 27, 2014

These are great, simple to make and my 15mo old loves them, minus the nibs of course
I added a bit more cinnamon, because we love it :)

140 Beth April 28, 2014

I just made these and they are really good! And, so simple. I used dark chocolate chips from Enjoy life in place of the chocolate nibs.

141 Amy May 19, 2014

These are amazing! I’ve made these 3 times and each time I make them a bit differently.

The second time I made them I put less chocolate chips in the balls and rolled the balls in melted chocolate.

Then I thought, how can I put peanut butter and chocolate together?! I made a batch tonight and as soon as I had them all rolled up I realized I could flatten them into round cookies and add a dollop of peanut butter on top!

142 Carol June 25, 2014

Oh, yum (purring sounds). I made these using peanut butter and a little bit of coconut oil instead of the dates. I also added flax meal and used raw cacao powder and added chocolate hemp protein powder in addition to the hemp seeds. Instead of balls, I pressed it into pie tins and cut into mini bars and keep them in my freezer. I ate a whole pan the first day.

143 Rachel September 2, 2014

Yum Yum! We are not vegan, but are working toward becoming plant based and I needed some healthy, easy and portable snack ideas for my Kindergartener. She picked these out first and we just made them this morning. We’ve never had Hemp seeds before and they are great. She loves these little balls and is excited to bring them to school. Can’t wait to try some more of your recipes here.

144 Mandy September 7, 2014

I can’t have sesame, thoughts of adding ground flax?

145 mllp42 October 5, 2014

Neither my grocery store or local organic store carry hemp. What can I use instead? I am allergic to nuts.

146 Rebecca November 3, 2014

Damn, these are awesome!!! Perfect for my allergy kid too : )

147 Sarah November 4, 2014

Love love these. I’m a distance runner and always on the look out for simple healthy bars and bites for energy or recovery. They remind me of Bounce Balls, only looks like you invented these first!! Please please can you make up some more versions, energy, recovery etc

keep up the great work, your recipes are what first got me interested in vegan food.

148 Elena December 25, 2014

These are amazing! I have made them a few times now and they have been a hit with everybody including my 10 month old and my 2yrl old who is the pickiest eater ever! I have made a slight change to the recipe in that instead of sesame seeds I use tahini as I find it makes them a little more moist. I also coat them in very fine shredded coconut in the end. The best.

149 Bernadette March 19, 2015

I’m excited to try this out. Can’t wait

150 Jodie June 9, 2015

Decided I had to give up my nightly dark chocolate slash salty cravings! These were so easy and perfect. Instead of water I added a tiny bit of coconut oil and then rolled them in organic unsweetened coconut. I used some locally sourced sea salt I just dried and a little cayenne too. Can’t wait till my snack attack comes on! Thank you for a great selection of recipes. Your website is one of my go-to’s!

151 maria July 8, 2015

How long are they good for, a week?

152 Lucie September 21, 2015

These are AMAZING! I didn’t have any hemp seeds / couldn’t find any and they still tasted delicious. I substituted water (for if they’re dry) with a tiny amount of coconut oil. So yummy!

153 Laini Ibrahim October 16, 2015

This looks so good, but I’m alergic to chocolate. Do you have a sweet non-chocolate suggestion for an additive? Caramel? Vanilla?

154 Kim November 19, 2015

A few years ago you had a breakfast ball recipe that had about 20 ingredients in it and was incredibly healthy- kind of like a granola bar, but it was a ball and baked it for a bit. I can’t find the recipe on your website anywhere. Can you send me the link? I loved that recipe!
Thanks, Kim

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2015

Hi Kim, Hmm, I don’t recall this recipe…are you sure it was from my website? :) I will think on it more though and let you know if I come up with anything!

156 ANGELA January 1, 2016

How long will these be good once removed from the freezer?

157 Anna Lee April 18, 2016

I just made these to take to work for an afternoon snack. I’m always on the lookout for something quick and healthy (and portable). They are so tasty! They’re like healthy truffles! Next time I think I may add a coconut or even a little cayenne. You can do so much with flavor combinations. Another great recipe, Angela!

158 Michelle April 25, 2016

These are THE BEST! Gave them to father in law (who is a cyclist) for his birthday and he loves them too!

159 Stephanie May 12, 2016

I was reading through all the comments looking for the answer to my question, but I only made it about halfway through. I’ve never used medjool dates, but I have some neglet noor dates on hand. Can those be subbed instead or do they have a different consistency? Thanks fir your help!