Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

energyballsvegannutfree   Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

I often think of blog posts when I’m lying in bed trying to fall asleep. Sometimes my mind is just so clear late at night. Plus, I’ve learned you have to embrace creativity when it’s here and ride it out when it’s not. Some days it strikes at 1:30pm and others it’s 1:30am.

Tonight, the clock reads 11:58pm and ideas are flooding into my mind. Hours before, I sat at the computer drawing a complete blank, so I welcome this wave of inspiration. I now have that awkward decision of whether I’m inspired enough to drag myself out of bed and down the hall to the office. This time I do and Eric murmurs something to me as I leave. The computer screen comes on and I’m blinded for a good minute, squinting my eyes until they adjust.

I type out my recipe ideas into my Google Drive document (yes, I finally got rid of my paper notebook!) and then I start writing a post. When I feel like I’ve dumped everything out of my mind, I turn off the computer and head to bed. It doesn’t take very long until I’m fast asleep for the night.

energyballs   Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Many moons ago, I promised you a nut-free energy bite recipe. Today, I’m making good on my word and I believe this is the only nut-free energy bite recipe on my blog to date. Now, you know I love my nuts (there is just no good way to write that), but I’m a big fan of adding seeds into my daily diet too. If you follow me on Instagram you might have witnessed my recent obsession with adding hulled hemp seeds in smoothies. I just can’t get enough of these omega-3 and protein rich seeds. I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back to protein powder again!

Hulled hemp seeds do have a strong flavour – sometimes too strong if used with abandon – so in an effort not to allow their earthy flavour to take over a sweet treat, I decided that a chocolate flavour would work nicely to balance it out. Obviously, chocolate is the solution to every problem. Every time.

Into the food processor go pitted medjool dates and equal portions of sesame, chia, hemp, and cocoa powder. I added a bit of sea salt, vanilla, and cinnamon for flavour enhancing and a scoop of cacao nibs for some awesome crunch. Raw cacao nibs are quite bitter on their own, but in these bites they work well adding antioxidants, fibre, magnesium, and more. Feel free to use mini dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate if you prefer. Leftovers are ready in the freezer for any snack attack and they are great when you’re running out the door in the morning!

superseedchocolateenergybites   Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

PS- Thanks to my partner in crime for his crazy stacking skills!

energyballsvegan 7490   Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Email, text, or print this recipe

Makes 16 bites

Ingredients:

• 1 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (12-13 large)
  • 1/4 cup hulled hemp seed
  • 1/4 cup chia seed
  • 1/4 cup sesame seed
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (or mini dark chocolate chips)

1. Add dates into processor and process until a chunky paste forms.

2. Add in the hemp, chia, sesame, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Process until thoroughly combined. Pulse in the cacao nibs. The dough should be sticky when pressed between your fingers. If it’s not sticky enough to shape into balls, add a small amount of water (a teaspoon at a time) and process until it comes together.

3. Shape dough into small balls (about 16) and freeze for 20 minutes or so until firm. Store leftovers in the freezer until your next snack attack hits.

Nutritional Info

energyballsvegan 7489   Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Hope you have an energetic start to your week!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 29, 2013

Protein bites are probably one of my most favorite snacks! They’re super easy to make and they are perfect for on-the-go. These sound delicious!

Laura July 29, 2013

Great! I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate more hemp. Do you ever make your own hemp milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Funny you ask – that’s on the agenda this week! I’ve heard you don’t have to strain it, so I’m excited to try it out. :)

Sarah July 29, 2013

They say you can strain it, but I didn’t. Since I use it mostly in smoothies! But it’s quick and easy; you don’t have to soak!

Laura Fraser July 29, 2013

That’s why I asked! I guess with a high-speed blender it’s the easiest milk to make

Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective July 29, 2013

I’m still new to the blogging world, but I’ve learned inspiration truly does strike at the most random times. I use Evernote on my phone and I just jot down ideas when they come to to me throughout the day. It’s fun to see how people come up with their own blog ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

I’ve been meaning to check out Evernote…sounds very helpful for when you are away from a PC!

Jorge July 29, 2013

Can wait to make these, they look AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!

I carry a very small Sony dictation recorder, which has a built-in USB plug to transfer the files over to the PC. This little gadget is a real marvel. I can dictate my thoughts and ideas even as I am driving my LandCruiser with the windows down!!

Yes, inspiration strikes at odd moments, and needs to be captured quickly. This little recorder has been fantastic.

Cheers!!

Jill July 31, 2013

I love Evernote and totally recommend it!

I’m stocking my freezer with stuff since I head back to work next week and I recently made bars that are pretty similar to these. So perfect to grab right out of the freezer. I’m going to be making some apple-cinnamon ones later today too, I think.

Jessica @ conveganence July 29, 2013

I’m new to the blogging world too. Inspiration can be hard to come by, but when it strikes, I’m usually in the shower, at yoga class, or in other situations where writing isn’t practicable :)

Maggie July 29, 2013

Brb going to make these. They look amazing! And I have some travel coming up… hellooo, travel snacks!

(also am always looking for new and exciting healthy chocolate recipes for my non-vegan boyfriend… ever since I stopped buying process sugar, he’s gotten way fewer surprise desserts from me!)

Stephanie July 29, 2013

Many vegan recipes similar to this, and raw desserts, call for Medjool dates. I have always wondered if prunes could be used as a substitute for dates?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Hey Stephanie, I must say I have never used prunes in a recipe before! I’m sure they would work similar to dates, but I’m not sure how the flavour would change. I love dates b/c they have a caramel-like flavour. Let me know if you try it out!

Mandy @ Eat Pray Grow July 29, 2013

This reminds me of the delicious protein bar recipe my midwife gave me – it’s packed with ground seeds, almonds, coconut oil, etc. – lots of good protein and fat for baby! It’s in bars, though, which I like because I’m too lazy to roll it into balls – and the chocolate is melted with some coconut oil and poured in a layer over the top. I might have to try this (in bar form, let’s be honest) as a variation on it!

Margaret April 26, 2014

Would love the recipe your midwife gave you Mandy

Ksenija @ Health Ninja July 29, 2013

Perfect! I have been searching for a new protein ball recipe for some days now and this one sounds just like what I would love for a snack at the moment. Will make them as soon as I bought some hemp seeds.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 29, 2013

These look great! They remind me on the superfood bites from Navitas Naturals…which I love! So I am happy to see I can make a homemade version!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life July 29, 2013

Love these! As a momma to a 10 month old, I’m always looking for easy to grab power snacks!

Annie July 29, 2013

YUM! I just bought some flax seed so will try that in place of the sesame seeds. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela! :)

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 29, 2013

I was JUST thinking about making protein bars or bites this morning – I’m so glad that I found this recipe, they look amazing! <3

Sarah July 29, 2013

These look absolutely amazing- both the ingredients as well as the wonderfully-stacked finished product :) It sounds crazy, but I’m generally not a huge chocolate person, but when I crave it, it’s always in some hearty, not-too-sweet form. Needless to say, these sound perfect!

Also, quick gushy moment- I recently entered into a place in life where I’m really wanting to detox my life, both physically and emotionally. When I woke up this morning and craved inspiration, this was the first place I came to! Your story is so inspiring, and I love your posts with their combination of humor, personality, and heart. I guess it’s kind of No-Chicken Soup for the Soul (remember those?).

So, thanks :)
Sarah

Angela July 29, 2013

Sarah, you are so sweet – thank you for the lovely words! I just checked out your blog and it’s fantastic. All the best with your changes :)

Lou July 29, 2013

…and not a moment too soon. When my PMS-ing ways threaten to sabotage my healthy lifestyle, you’ve sent these chocolate bites to the rescue. Thank you! Thank you!

Richele July 29, 2013

Oh these look delicious! I have a recipe similar to this one and i am obsessed! But i will for sure be trying this one :)

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! July 29, 2013

I love hemp seeds! Can’t wait to try this one out :) Kudos to Eric for those mad stacking skills!

Dory Diaz July 29, 2013

I do something very similar to these, but I use agave and coconut oil instead of dates. I love the flavor and texture, and they’re perfect when I’m craving sweetness!

char eats greens July 29, 2013

You must had read my mind because I was JUST about to look for a good date recipe today. (No, honestly, I have the dates sitting on my counter staring at me!) These look fabulous and just what I need to send off with Tyler on his long work days ;)

Marilou Garon July 29, 2013

These are welcome addition, thank you! We love nuts but school/day camp don’t allow them in lunchboxes so I was very hapy to see this recipe! I know hemp seeds are the point of the post – but I didn’t have any and have to wait until next paycheck to pick some up at Coston :) I substituted 1/4 cup of pepitas and it turned out delicious.

Angela July 29, 2013

Good call on the pepitas! So glad you enjoyed them.

Terry July 29, 2013

These look delicious. Just wondering if the chia seeds swell too much (or at all) if water is added?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hi Terry, I didn’t need to add any water, but I doubt they would be impacted with such a small amount of water. enjoy!

sarah July 29, 2013

YUM! I have been trying to ease off the nuts, its easy to over do it. These look perfect, and chocolate you cant go wrong with chocolate.

Dopher August 9, 2014

>ease off the nuts

Maria Tadic July 29, 2013

These look super yummy! Perfect breakfast on the run! Do you have the calorie information by chance???

Angela July 29, 2013

Hey Maria, Yes I do – there’s a link at the bottom of the directions. Hope this helps!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan July 29, 2013

1. Those stacking skills are amazing!! 2. I totally hear you on this one, I often get inspiration when I’m driving or in the middle of a conversation or meeting, I have to scribble it down before it escapes!

rachel July 29, 2013

These look great but my partner can’t eat dates.Do you have any suggestion for substitutions?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

hmm, that’s tricky. What about prunes or raisins? I can’t vouch for how it would taste though. good luck!

lauren July 29, 2013

I love hemp seeds! I agree they are great in smoothies. These sound perfect for summer snacking at work. It can be tricky packing snacks when I work out of my car :)

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur July 29, 2013

I recently made something just like these. I love chocolate and dates together, so I don’t really need an excuse to eat them, but I love the addition of all the wonderful seeds, and especially the nibs!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely July 29, 2013

these look so delicious…and the stacking made for an awesome pic!

Marisa July 29, 2013

Ok, these need to be made into a brownie bar right now! Maybe with some avocado icing?
My only complaint, the recipe doesn’t make more. Don’t judge me for cleaning out the bowl with a spoon….

Angela July 29, 2013

I was thinking the same thing about putting a frosting on them and calling it dessert :) great minds think alike. Silly me couldnt stop eating them long enough to try it out though.

Willow July 29, 2013

Mmm – I’ve had protein bites/bars on the mind for a few weeks now… definitely about time I make a batch! I tend to dump as many seeds into my smoothies and protein bars as I can manage, so these sound just perfect. Will have to give them a try! Nom!

Kendra July 29, 2013

Well Yee-Haw!!! I have all of these ingredients in my fridge and cupboard.

Angela July 29, 2013

love when that happens :)

Laura July 29, 2013

Those look amazing! Definitely going to make them this week. I have shared with your sister that I am a wee bit obsessed with your blog. I have recently gone Vegan with the odd source of lean meat as protein and I am feeling great! Thanks for all your creative and tasty ideas!

Angela July 29, 2013

Hey Laura! I need to start paying that sister of mine for promotion! heheh. Thanks for your kind words. Did we happen to meet a couple years ago at the gym by chance?

Laura August 1, 2013

Why yes, we did meet at the gym a few years back. Thanks for all your hard work and yummy recipes! Can’t wait for the book to come out!

Angela August 1, 2013

Thanks Laura :) Hope to see you next time I’m visiting!

Andrew Olson July 29, 2013

I hate to say it, but I’ve never used whole hemp seeds. I see them all the time and have never had a good reason to try them (until now). This super seed combo sounds amazing together.

The pyramid is so cool — those ARE some crazy stacking skills! :)

Katie July 29, 2013

Angela- once again an amazing recipe and photos! You are such inspiration for my blog.

Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan July 29, 2013

Hi girl! I’m posting a very, very similar recipe tomorrow. I promise I didn’t copy! I made my version to take along for a hike I did this weekend. I’ll chalk it up to “great minds think alike.” :)

Angela July 29, 2013

hahah oh don’t you hate when that happens? Story of the life of a food blogger. It’s so easy to come up with similar recipes, esp. when they are simple ones. :) anyway, I would never think twice about it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 29, 2013

Pinned!! Love these Angela! The seeds, grain-free, the dates (love!), the cocoa – nibs and powder,they’re no bake, and there’s no nuts. Although I do love cashews in raw/vegan unbaking desserts and treats many times, it’s nice to see recipes without them because they can get a little heavy at times and these are so clever. Yum!

Elizabeth @ Elizabeth's Garden Kitchen July 29, 2013

These look awesome! I love dates in desserts and energy bars. Hard to believe I wouldn’t have even thought to use them in recipes a year ago. Now that I’m trying to eat raw more often, I use them often!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

I was never a big date consumer until fairly recently too! They are sooo good.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 29, 2013

Wow, those ARE some crazy good stacking skills! Tell Eric he should moonlight as a food stylist lol! I totally know what you mean with the recipe inspiration coming at crazy times. I often think about recipes as I’m falling asleep (or rather, the thinking keeps me awake), and if it weren’t for it being dark outside, I’d probably get out of bed and make them!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile July 29, 2013

Angela! So funny that we posted almost the same recipe on the same day! Wow! Great minds think alike ;) I like that yours has hemp seeds. I need to pick up some of those at Sprouts!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health July 29, 2013

Ahh, yes. Chocolate is indeed the solution to every problem. ;)
I think it was a great idea to get up and write a post. Sometimes you just have to get it out in order to relax.
I just bought hemp seeds to add to roasted sweet potatoes as you suggested and I may have to use some of them for this recipe because they look great! And we’re going hiking next weekend so I’ll need something for a quick snack!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 29, 2013

I’ve been loving hemp seeds lately – especially since I can get them from Costco for a good price! And combined with chocolate? Even better!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 29, 2013

I definitely need to try these! Love!

Page 1 of 3123»