Raw Almond Butter Cups

Rawalmondbuttercupsvegan 7350   Raw Almond Butter Cups

I just realized that I’ve turned on my oven maybe once in the past week. What a glorious thing.

What could be worthy of turning on the oven during a heat wave, you might ask? Two words: sweet potatoes! Yes, even in the summer, heat wave be damned, I need my sweet potato fix.

This is my favourite way to eat sweet potatoes lately: Dice the sweet potato (leave the skin on), roast until tender, and then toss the cooked potato with coconut oil, sea salt, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Finally – and here’s the best part – a generous spoonful of hemp seeds sprinkled on for good measure. The hemp seeds stick to the coconut oil, coating every delicious bite of sweet potato. I seriously drool when I think about it!

But this post isn’t about roasting things like a crazy person when it’s 40C with humidity, it’s about not roasting things! Aside from my precious sweet potatoes, I’ve been relying heavily on raw foods to make up much of my diet. Raw Pad Thai, Detox Tabbouleh, hummus and veggie wraps, fruit galore, and a huge smoothie every single morning, just to name a few. Summer rules and winter drools. Period.

Rawalmondbuttercupsvegan 7334   Raw Almond Butter Cups

Speaking of drooling. These raw almond butter cups! Oh my goodness. Eric declared them one of his favourite treats and this is coming from a non-almond butter fan. I’m not buying it, Eric. I have a peanut butter cup recipe on the blog already (oh, and peanut butter cups in a jar, let’s not forget), but I wanted to make something with the batch of raw almond butter I made recently.

For the almond base, I initially tried a combo of almond butter, coconut oil, and sweetener, which was super tasty, but the cups melted and were pretty greasy. In an effort to make the base more substantial, I reduced the almond butter and added in almond meal and a touch of oat flour. It was the perfect solution. Not only did it hold up better, but it tasted like cookie dough! What’s not to love about that? noooooothing.

rawalmondbuttercups   Raw Almond Butter Cups

I used a mini silicone muffin holder since they are so flexible and I just popped the cups out after freezing. Easy! You can certainly use a regular muffin tin lined with paper liners though. For the thick chocolate coating, I made my own chocolate using cocoa powder, coconut oil, and sweetener. Feel free to simply use melted dark chocolate if that floats your boat! I added some sliced almonds on top before freezing which added a nice crunch.

rawalmondbuttercupsvegan 7320   Raw Almond Butter Cups

As you can see the chocolate topping started to melt during my photo shoot because it was a gazillion degrees, so I recommend enjoying these straight from the freezer for best results. Either way, I wasn’t complaining too much!

rawalmondbuttercupsvegan 7347   Raw Almond Butter Cups

Raw Almond Butter Cups

Note: Use certified gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free. NEW: See below for a nut-free version!

Email, text, or print this email

Yield: 1 dozen mini cups

for the base:

• 3/4 cup raw almonds, ground into a meal
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour
  • 2 tablespoons raw almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil, warmed if necessary
  • 1.5 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or agave nectar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt, to taste

for the topping:

• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or 2 tbsp agave nectar)
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt, to taste

• 1. Add almonds and oats into a high-speed blender and blend on high until a flour forms. Dump into a large bowl and break up any clumps with your fingers.
  • 2. Add the nut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup (or agave), cinnamon, vanilla, and salt into the bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined. The dough should be fairly sticky like cookie dough.
  • 3. Line a mini (or regular) muffin tin with paper liners or use a silicone muffin holder. Portion the dough into each muffin cup and press down until even and smooth.
  • 4. To make the chocolate sauce: Whisk together the coconut oil, sweetener, cocoa powder, and salt until no clumps remain. Spoon the sauce over top each of the cups, distributing evenly. Garnish cups with sliced almonds if desired.
  • 5. Place in the freezer in a flat area for 30-45 minutes, until firm. Pop out the cups & enjoy immediately! These are best consumed straight from the freezer.
  • Notes: If looking for an oat-free option, you might be able to substitute the 1/4 cup of oats for more almond meal. My guess is that you’d need to add another 1/3-1/2 cup almonds to avoid the dough becoming too sticky. Please report back!

For a nut-free version, sub the almond meal for an equal amount of rolled oats (so use 1 cup total rolled oats). Sub the almond butter for sunflower seed butter. Works great!

Kinsey July 19, 2013

These look incredible! I can’t wait to try them as a snack or maybe even crumble on ice cream or put on a bowl of hot oatmeal! Yum!

Maggie July 30, 2013

Angela
I am new to vegan cooking but have found all your recipes to be the best! Thank you! The almond butter cups are DELICIOUS!!! easy to make, they satisfied everyone in my family-thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Thank you Maggie! I’m so happy to hear that.

Joy August 9, 2013

I made these last weekend for poker night with my husband and friends and they never saw the light of day!!! We devoured these!! Thank you for sharing a simple but absolutely delightful treat! They are on the menu, again, this weekend for another game night! I might hide a few in the back for me….a midnight indulgence when everyone goes home! ;-)

Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective July 19, 2013

I’m all about no bake things this week– especially cookies and salads. :)

Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine July 19, 2013

I love the twist on the peanut butter cup! The layering effect is gorgeous. And I am right there with you…sweet potatoes all year round are a must, and nothing brings out the flavor like roasting!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 19, 2013

They look ridiculously good! And so satisfying with the density, the chewy factor, the coconut oil, and chocolate. You outdid yourself. And I love the bitemark photos! Right up my alley!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee July 19, 2013

Oh my gosh… actually drooling as I sit at my desk. Not an attractive look but I must make these stat!

Erica July 19, 2013

Yum, these look fantastic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Thanks ladies – enjoy!

Lauren M July 19, 2013

Angela – I’ve looked at your recipes and it seems that the ones that appeal to me are using coconut oil. My doctor told me that was the worst possible oil to use. Can you please try to recommend a substitution that is healthier? I’ve never seen or used coconut oil. What would happen if one substituted canola? Would it work?

Lauren

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2013

Hi Lauren,
Coconut oil is usually a very healthy fat to add to one’s diet. It’s made up of medium chain fatty acids which help stimulate metabolism and it’s also antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial. It also has lauric acid which helps to support proper thyroid function. Be sure to select virgin coconut oil if you do buy some. Obviously, listen to your doctor’s recommendations as s/he knows your unique health requirements best, but feel free to look into it more if desired. Because coconut oil firms up when chilled, there is not a sub in most no-bake desserts. In baked desserts, however, you can usually sub another oil without issue. Hope this helps!

Barbara July 25, 2013

A great sub for coconut oil is cacao butter – MELTED. It is richer, creamier and has a little more body to it. I use it in all of my mousse and cheesecakes now.

Barbara July 25, 2013

A great sub for coconut oil is cacao butter – MELTED. When it solidified, it is richer, creamier and has a little more body to it. I use it in all of my mousse and cheesecakes now.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2013

Ah yes, that’s a GREAT idea!! Thanks for the tip.

Another K October 30, 2013

While coconut oil is a healthy oil to use, all oil is refined and a processed food. Try replacing it with coconut butter (should firm up when frozen in the same manner). Coconut butter is made from blending dried coconut and is a whole food. You can buy it premade or make it yourself.

Danielle July 28, 2013

Hi Lauren,

Angela is a very sweet and considerate person, but since this is not my blog, I can afford to be a little “rude” :-) Your doctor told you that coconut oil is the worst possible oil to use?! You should change doctors. :)

Canola oil IS the worst possible oil to use (made from genetically modified rape seed).

On the funny side, at the beginning of the century, the farmers tried to fatten the cows with coconut oil. Not only they did not get fatter, but they started losing weight! The farmers switched to corn…and it went all downhill from there.

For all the reasons that Angela wrote below, and more, coconut oil is amazing. Fortunately, we have more than one source nowadays to get informed so you can decide for yourself.

K August 18, 2013

Coconut oil is controversial, so I can see where her doctor would advise against it. It is 92% saturated fat. While the building blocks of this fat are better than those in other saturated fats, like butter, because it is plant based, it is still something that needs to be limited in consumption (because all saturated fats should be limited in consumption).

My favorite alternative to any fat is olive oil. However, for baking, olive oil can sometimes add an unwanted flavor. Depending on the recipe, you can sub mashed banana, avocado, or applesauce.

vajra September 10, 2013

Coconut oil is controversial ONLY because we were made to believe that all saturated fats are bad. They forgot (intentionally) to tell us that there are different types of saturated fatty acids. As Angela mentioned, coconut oil is made of medium chain fatty acids. Not only do they cause no harm, they are actually good for you. Cooking with coconut oil is way healthier than with any other oil as coconut oil does NOT oxidize when heated. When cooking with regular vegetable oils you instantly get a load of free radicals.

Personally I use coconut oil for everything, including various cosmetics purposes.

Jessie Peterson October 7, 2013

Your doctor is not correct, Coconut is very healthy, do some research before you believe everything your doctor says. I am on the health profession and use coconut oil daily we recommend to patients as well.

Jessie Peterson October 8, 2013

I meant to say in the health profession, not on it I’m sorry.

Emily - It comes naturally July 19, 2013

That’s a much better idea than the cakes i baked for my birthday – and the perfect size for an after dinner treat – now can I tempt the husband away from his beloved peanut butter?

Natalie July 19, 2013

Just wow!

In agreement with you on the raw foods this week, more time to spend in the sun!

x

Erin July 19, 2013

I think I will be trying these this weekend! Our kitchen is in the middle of a renovation so I really have nothing but my fridge and my Vitamix to keep me going (I lied, I also have my Keurig)…. Also, just wanted to tell you that you are my foodie blogger soul mate – I love all your recipes! I follow lots of bloggers on facebook but you are the only one I get notifications for – hoping my compliment will pump you up for a great weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Erin- you are so sweet! Thank you for the smile :) I’m feelin’ the love!!! Enjoy the recipe and good luck with renovations…I’m sure it will be all worth it in the end.

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} July 19, 2013

Looks delicious, and I am all for treats that don’t involve the oven! Although our AC is pretty good, so I definitely am still roasting vegetables from time to time.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 19, 2013

These butter cups sound absolutely amazing! I’m pinning them and can’t wait to try them out!

Krisha July 19, 2013

Hi – love your blog & recipes. If using pre-ground almond meal, and oat bran (is it OK to use oat bran?) will the amounts remain the same? e.g. 3/4c almond meal.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

They should be roughly the same, if the dough seems too sticky, just add a touch more. I haven’t worked with oat bran before, but feel free to experiment!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green July 19, 2013

Oh wow – these look awesome! I have been on an almond butter fix lately so I know I would love these. They wouldn’t last too long in our house!

Liz July 19, 2013

I can’t wait to try these..I will just have to make a deal to not eat the entire batch at once!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 19, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. Where is the drool bucket??

Emma July 19, 2013

Oh wow Angela, you spoil us so! These look even better than classic pb/ab cups. I bet the oat addition makes that base extra tasty.

Lauren July 19, 2013

Those look amazing! What would you suggest if I don’t want to use coconut oil? I’ve stayed away from all oils for the past year.

Thanks,
EatingRainbows

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hmm, I don’t know of a sub off hand – the coconut oil helps solidify the base and topping. I’ll let you know if I think of anything!

Brandi July 23, 2013

I would use coconut butter. I don’t use any oils either, only whole foods. I purée dried coconut into coconut butter and it’s delicious! I use that in my recipes instead of oils.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 19, 2013

These sound seriously amazing!! I never would have guess that the ingredient list would be rather simplistic, too! That is a win-win.

Shundara@SavyNaturalista July 19, 2013

Gosh I have not turn the oven on either; it is about 113 and the humidity has been at 37 percent, I can barley breath in this weather is unbearable. I see you got your creativity back in the kitchen cannot wait to try these cups.

Kristi July 19, 2013

I’m doing everything I can not to cut my oven on, and if I do cut it on, it’s in the morning time when it won’t leave me sweating in my home afterwards.

amelia July 19, 2013

Ooh lala these look sinful!! Whats not to love,especially directly from the freezer!!

melissa July 19, 2013

what can i use in place of oats ground into flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hey Melissa, I added a note at the bottom of the recipe – I would try more almond meal. Good luck!

Barb C July 28, 2013

I used more almond meal and a couple tablespoons of finely shredded coconut as a sub for the oats and they turned out great. The kids and my husband devoured them!

Ashley F. July 19, 2013

I can’t wait to get off of work today so I can make these asap! It makes me wish we had Wonkavision so I could just have one sent to me via computer screen :)

Stacy July 19, 2013

You are a genius! Period.

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen July 19, 2013

Oh geez these look good. I love keeping the oven off in the summer- sweating in the kitchen, not my thing!

christine July 19, 2013

yikes these look good. I’m racking my brain to figure out how I would make them w/ sunbutter since we have a treenut and peanut allergy in the house. I wonder if sunbutter w/ oats minus the meal would work. Have you tried this w/ other “butters”?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hey Christine, I haven’t tried it with another nut/seed butter, but I’m sure many would work. I think you could probably replace the almond meal with more oat flour like you suggested…just add it a bit at a time until you get a doughy mixture similar to cookie dough. Please let me know how it goes if you try it out!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life July 19, 2013

These look amazing, Angela. I need to make them ASAP. Thanks for always coming up with the most creative and natural recipes that make me hungry every time I look at them!

Sydney July 19, 2013

These look amazing!! Just a quick questions: could I substitute almond lees (leftover from making milk) for the almond meal? I can’t throw away food product, so I have a huge stash of the stuff collecting in my freezer – looking for a way to use it up. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hey Sydney, do you mean almond pulp? you could certainly try! You’d probably have to add more oat flour since the almond pulp is more wet than almond meal.

Sydney July 19, 2013

*question, not questions

Anna July 19, 2013

Hi,

I have a bunch of pre-ground up almond meal I’d like to use. What’s the approx. amt do you think I should use?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hi Anna, I would use about 3/4 cup…maybe a tablespoon or two more. It should be the consistency of cookie dough so you can play it by ear and adjust if needed. Enjoy!

Kelly July 19, 2013

These look incredible! Yet another reason your site is bookmarked on my computer–I always come here for inspiration!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 19, 2013

They look like the perfect little treat!

I miss your regular blog posts Angela :-( Do you think you’ll ever come back to posting daily?

Hardhead Vegan July 19, 2013

You might just be my hero.

Ashlee@HisnHers July 19, 2013

YUM! Too bad you dont still have your bakery…I would order some of these so quick!

Ashley July 19, 2013

Need these riiiight now. Beautiful photos!

Crista July 19, 2013

oh my… those look tasty.

Andrea July 19, 2013

I’m so glad I have all the ingredients on hand for these! I will be making them this weekend. Your peppermint no bake chocolate bars have already been regularly stocked in my freezer for a healthy dessert.

Andrea July 22, 2013

UPDATE: I did indeed make these and they were AMAZING! I gave some to my mom, and she said they tasted like candy! Thanks for another great recipe, Angela :)

Tami @Nutmeg Notebook July 19, 2013

Beautiful! I just bought silicone mini muffin pans and these look like a good first recipe to try in them. Like another poster asked try not to use any oil in my diet anymore since I follow the Engine 2 / Fuhrman style food plans. I think the crust would work fine without it since there is nuts that already provide some healthy fats. Some melted dark chocolate could work for the topping. Thanks for a great recipe idea!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 19, 2013

Love the look of this! I’m still making sweet potatoes too. They’re so good!

Serenity July 21, 2013

These are amazing!

I just made these using cacao butter instead of coconut oil for the chocolate per your recipe http://ohsheglows.com/2013/02/13/easy-homemade-vegan-chocolate-instant-hot-chocolate/, and i just can’t get over how good they turned out!(or stop eating them out of the freezer!) The almond base and chocolate top melt in your mouth with rich flavor while retaining a chewy wholesome texture.

Will makes these again. Thanks for sharing, I will be trying your sweet potato method suggestion soon too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2013

I was wondering if the cacao butter would be a sub – so glad you tried it! Thanks for letting me know :)

Page 1 of 612345»...Last »