A Night To Remember

MillenniumRestaurantSanFrancisco-3739

When I finally uploaded my photos from my recent trip to San Francisco, I didn’t quite know where to begin. So, I’m starting with my favourite memory from the entire trip!

A dinner celebration at no other than the famous, Millennium restaurant. This restaurant has been on my “must-visit” list for years so when my mom asked me to choose a restaurant to celebrate my 30th, it was an easy decision. The reservation was made months in advance.

Millennium restaurant calls itself a vegetarian restaurant, but they don’t use any animal products so everything on the menu is vegan. It’s easily one of the most gourmet vegan restaurants I’ve dined at, offering unique and inspiring flavour combinations throughout the menu. Other similar gourmet vegan restaurants that come to mind are Candle 79 in NYC and Karyn’s on Green in Chicago, but I have to say, Millennium’s creative menu offerings are like nothing I’ve seen.

[Please don’t mind the iffy photo quality – I was snapping pics with my phone and point & shoot all weekend and was really just happy to to take a break from lugging a big camera around all day.]

aaa

First things first, we ordered a bottle of wine – Quinta Cruz “Graciano” – a bold and spicy Spanish variety.

Next, I ordered the Roasted Beet Salad to start. It was one of my favourite salads in a long time! I would’ve licked the plate clean if I could.

MillenniumRestaurantSanFrancisco-3742

In the name of variety, all three of us ordered the Grilled Spring Onion & Radicchio Risotto for our main dish. Who can turn down a vegan risotto? Not us, apparently!

MillenniumRestaurantSanFrancisco-3746

This dish is made with Arborio, kamut, and farro with cashew cream, balsamic-rosemary glazed Portobello mushroom, runner cannellini beans, kale & Cara Cara orange salad, pistachio-herb charmoula and Arborio crusted fried artichokes. See what I mean about the unique flavour combinations? It’s a lovely risotto without a hint of dairy. What can’t cashew cream do?

aaaaabbb

For dessert, I ordered the Chocolate Almond Midnight torte made with almond cashew crust, mocha chocolate filling, raspberry sauce, and white chocolate mousse. Dear me! Oh, and some house-made truffles on the side. I wish I got a close-up of this dish, but I was clearly distracted by sparkly things…

A lovely server brought this out and sang happy birthday to me. My own birthday serenade! I was touched and turning a lovely shade of beet salad.

MillenniumRestaurantSanFrancisco-3749

Don’t mind my hair about to burst into flames via birthday candle…minor detail.

If chocolate and a song wasn’t enough excitement, there was another surprise in store. Moments later, executive chef, Eric Tucker, came out to wish me happy birthday and he presented me with a signed copy of one of Millennium’s cookbooks, The Artful Vegan. It was so great to meet the person behind all of this inspiring food! I had a major fan girl moment. My mom arranged all of these surprises beforehand – what a gem she is!

MillenniumRestaurantSanFrancisco-3751

More blushing ensued. I was now sweating. Is it hot in here?

Inside the cover Eric wrote, “Cook Inspired”. I’d like to create a small frame with these words and hang it near my kitchen! It reminds me to always use my life experiences as inspiration for the food I create in my kitchen. When I try to force a recipe, it doesn’t tend to work anyway. When it comes from the heart, it’s usually a success.

After all this, my mom and sis gave me their card and gift. Inside my mom’s card, I found a letter that she wrote to me looking back on the past 30 years. It was beautiful. The tears flowed like the wine!

“The future holds so much for you. Remember to enjoy your 30’s – I can tell you that the years go by far too quickly – fill it with purpose so that you don’t look back with regret.”

It was a night that I won’t soon forget. The best part was that I got to share it with two of my favourite women while being surrounded in a place that fits so perfectly with my own aspirations and goals. I am counting my blessings. A big thanks to my mom, sis, and Millennium restaurant for making it such a special occasion. You really know how to treat a girl.

Page 2 of 2«12
Allison's Gourmet/Allison Rivers Samson February 4, 2014

Angela, the fact that you can take gorgeous photos inside Millennium is a testament to your fantastic photography skills. Only those of us who have failed miserably (or the few of you who have achieved the challenging feat) can truly understand and appreciate your accomplishment. Bravo!! <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2014

You are too sweet Allison, thank you!

Florence July 21, 2013

oooh lucky you Angela!! and a happy belated Birthday:) Just over 10 years ago I was studying at The Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts and had the opportunity to do my week-long “intern” at Millenium- it was my # 1 choice and they said yes- well- long story short and a decision I will forever regret- I bailed and decided to spend it skiing in Whistler while doing it at Araxi. Millenium is on my short list of MUST EAT AT Restaurants! Their food (combinations etc) are like you said really stand apart from anything else. I cook quite a bit from their cookbooks and it is always way more involved but so worth it! A beautiful post about a very memorable meal and event! Congrats:)

Catherine July 7, 2013

I’m very late in adding this comment, but I want to wish you a happy belated birthday! It sounds like it was wonderful. Thanks for sharing the great memories of your evening with us. Your mom sounds like a great mentor and mother — we can all learn a lot from her wise words! Even though I’ve never met you in person, I feel like I know you through OSG and hope that your 30s bring wonderful opportunities and surprises. Your passion is contagious, and I appreciate the delicious food and positive words of inspiration that you’ve brought to my computer for the last several years. Salud!

Lori June 22, 2013

That looks like it was a great trip and some great food! You’re looking very good, Angela.

Jamie @lifelovelemons June 22, 2013

Happy birthday! looks like an amazing dinner!

Gena June 18, 2013

“Live Inspired”

Emily (Dish on the Run) June 17, 2013

So glad you had such a wonderful evening. Hope the year ahead brings everything you hope for and more!

Am June 16, 2013

I am originally from Sonoma County, about 45 minutes from San Francisco and I moved away last year and am kicking myself for not taking advantage of all the great vegan places San Francisco has to offer. Next time I go home I am definitely putting this on my list of places to try!

Crista June 16, 2013

Happy Birthday! You are a lucky girl getting to visit Millenium! I was in San Francisco once, I tried to get in to Millenium but they were booked. We ended up at a different restaurant, I don’t recall the name. After seeing this post, I’ll put Millenium back at the top of my bucket list.

Isabelle June 16, 2013

Hi!
I just wanted to let u know that since I found your page the day before yesterday, by luck I’m so stucked! I love every recepi u have ever done and from being a meat crazy person I’m really considering to let go of my long love meat. This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing all this amazing foods and bringing some new sparkle in to my boring kitchen!! :)
I’m by the way Swedish, living in Greece :)
Have a nice weekend!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2013

Hi Isabelle, Thank you so much for your kind words! So glad to hear you are enjoying the blog :) All my best, Angela

Courtney June 15, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday, from a fellow vegan Gemini. =)

Alex June 15, 2013

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous right now. It inspires me to have moments like these too. P.S Yet to go to an amazing vegan restaurant, but one day I will go to America and Millenium is my first stop. xo

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts June 15, 2013

It sounds like you had a night that was everything it should have been for your celebrations – happy birthday again Angela and I’m so glad you enjoyed your dinner :) The food sounds amazing and the efforts made by the staff would have been a great bonus.

brit June 14, 2013

Angela – you’re so lovely and such a wonderful woman. Anyone who reads your blog can see this. You absolutely deserved to have such a wonderful birthday, so glad you did.

Alex June 14, 2013

Happy Birthday To You. Keep it up.

Mary June 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela !!! You are so pretty and your mom as well…
The Chocolate Almond Midnight torte makes me forget that I`m on diet
Great birthday you had

angela @ another bite please June 13, 2013

i would be so over the top to have the Chef come out and not only meet him but get a signed cookbook….ahhhh…exciting!

amandacopp June 13, 2013

YOU ARE GLOWING FOR SURE!

Stephanie L June 13, 2013

Happy birthday a touch late!! Your adventure looks magical! I just loved the pictures. Your whole meal sounds yummy. I’m almost 40 (and yes, I’m excited to be 40!) and I keep hinting to the hubs to take me away somewhere for my birthday. There aren’t any places vegan/vegetarian + elegant in Oklahoma that I know of. LOL Everyone around here looks at you like you’re nuts to not eat cow. Love following your blog, here’s to many more fabulous years!

P.S. your entire family is GORGEOUS!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2013

Happy almost birthday :)
Well, hopefully that changes in the future (regarding not having any restaurant options) – in the meantime, maybe you can hint to your hubby to cook a bday dinner for you? hah.

Rose June 13, 2013

Happy Birthday! The night sounds absolutely amazing. I’ve been in this area for a little while and never heard of that place before. It’s definitely on my to-do list now. I looked at the site and the food sounds amazing

Kristi June 12, 2013

That looks like a great way to celebrate your 30th birthday. Happy Birthday!

Becky Perry June 12, 2013

Happy Birthday! Love your blog!!

Adriana Perciballi June 12, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday Angela! Sounds like such a wonderful evening!! The memories will be with you for a very long time to warm your heart and put a smile on your face whenever you need : )

Keep the great recipes and stories coming……

McKel | Nutrition Stripped June 12, 2013

Looks like you had a blast (and ate some great food!), thanks for sharing this fun experice :)

Sara Nickel June 12, 2013

Your family is beautiful! You all really, truly glow:) Happy 30th! Keep the inspiration coming.

Lindsay @ VeganYumminess June 11, 2013

Awww! What a sweet story. All three of you are SO beautiful. Happy Birthday, Angela!

Kristine June 11, 2013

The timing of your post is wonderful. I’m headed to San Francisco in a couple of weeks and Millennium is definitely on my list. Your pictures and descriptions of the food got me even more excited that I already was. We were lucky enough to eat there several years ago and I still remember every detail. Sounds like you had a really lovely celebration.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Lucky girl! enjoy :)

Tamara Paton June 11, 2013

What a minute….THAT is your mother? She’s gorgeous! I guess that explains your lovely smile too.

Glad you enjoyed your special day. And speaking of fan girl, I saw Kelly and Erin at Kelly’s Bake Shoppe today, fluttered around saying how much I love them, and knew you’d do the same in my shoes. Fan girls rock!

Sophia Marie June 11, 2013

Thank you for this post. I have been following your blog all of twenty-four hours and am, like many, impossibly impressed and totally hooked. Though I have yet to try one of your recipes and am a brand new fan, I can confidently say that your thirties will undoubtedly be purpose-filled as it seems to me you’ve been living mindfully and bravely thus far. Your personal story touched me as an inspiring background to your present life, and I thank you for being so open.

Happy Birthday!
Best,
Sophia

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Hi Sophia, Thank you for your lovely comment! I’m so honoured to have you reading :)

Maggie June 11, 2013

Happy birthday Angela! You look really pretty in these pictures :) I’ll have to check out Millennium! It looks great. Thanks for being so personable on your blog. I really admire that.

geegee June 11, 2013

Hi, Angela, happy birthday!

geegee June 11, 2013

Hi, Angela, and happy birthday!

Maria Tadic June 11, 2013

That sounds like such a fabulous birthday! I can wait to check out that cookbook! Sounds awesome.

Amey June 11, 2013

what a wonderful post! the picture of you with your birthday dessert is totally adorable! Millenium really is a great spot. I live sorta nearby, so I’ve been able to go there 5-6 times… but it’s still ALWAYS special! Also – happy birthday!

Hannah June 11, 2013

You beautiful creature, I’m so glad you had this amazing night of being celebrated, pampered, and treated like the wonderful deserving spirit you are. Happy birthday again, dear heart. I miss you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Aw, I miss you too & think about you often! Let me know when you are back in my neck of the woods and we can reunite. :)

Lorraine June 11, 2013

Oh my goodness! Your mom is gorgeous – she looks more like a sister!

Happy Birthday and so glad you had a great time in San Francisco. My daughter and I were there in January and had a ball – such a fun place to visit! Next time we’re there, we’ll give Millennium a whirl – the food looks spectacular.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Mom? is that you? hahaha I’m only joking (but my mom’s name is Lorraine so it’s fitting)
I’ll have to pass along your compliments to her! :)
yes I can’t wait to go back to SF too, glad you had such a fun time. It’s a nice place for moms & daughters to go together.

Amanda June 11, 2013

I’m afraid I couldn’t help but notice the leather purse next to a “vegan”!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Hi Amanda,
The brown purse? That would be my sister’s – and no she’s not a vegan. My purse is pleather.

Amanda June 12, 2013

Oh, good!

Josie June 11, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday Angela! Ah, I love this reminder: “It reminds me to always use my life experiences as inspiration for the food I create in my kitchen. When I try to force a recipe, it doesn’t tend to work anyway. When it comes from the heart, it’s usually a success.” SO. TRUE. I find that if I want to eat the food I make, it’s usually a good recipe ;) You’re a living proof of such inspiration!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 11, 2013

Oh my gosh, Angela! That is too cool that the chef gave you a signed copy of their book! I’ve eaten there before and love it, they’re are ridiculously creative with their dishes, it’s so good! Congrats and happy birthday! P.S. you don’t look a day over 22! :)