8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

Two of these posts in less than 1 month? I’m on a roll. Spring, I love everything about you.

Let’s get right down to business!

thingsimlovinglately-4117thingsimlovinglately-4120

1. Desert Essence Body Wash. This is my new favourite body wash – well, I can’t decide between the Vanilla Chai and Almond scents because they are both delightful. The lather is quite foamy too which is a big plus for me. It’s 100% vegan, cruelty-free and free of parabens, SLS, phthalates, artificial fragrances or colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or petroleum-based ingredients. Bravo, Desert Essence.

2. Frozen Chickpeas. Lately, I’ve been looking for alternatives to canned goods and I came across this line of frozen legumes and vegetables from Stahl Bush Island Farms. Cooking from scratch is always the cheaper option, but let’s face it; sometimes we need something ready in a flash. I just thaw the bag in the fridge overnight and they are ready to be added into dishes or made into hummus. This company has a variety of frozen products from butternut squash to lentils as well.

thingsimlovinglately-4122strawberry-3864

3. Theobroma Chocolat – Mint Leaves. This is a new-to-me chocolate and I’m hooked. Some days I have to hide it from myself which works for about 3 minutes. If you are a chocolate + mint fan, you will love this bar.

PS- Don’t you love when one square of chocolate is double the size of normal squares? I’m betting a woman designed this bar.

4. Strawberries. Topped with Coconut Whipped Cream for dessert. I’m also playing around with a strawberry vanilla and strawberry orange chia seed jam recipe. Yum, yum, yum.

thingsimlovinglately-4139

5. Gabriel Mascara. When I had a nasty skin reaction earlier this year, I really had to overhaul the chemical-laden products I was putting on my skin each day. Luckily, there are so many choices out there these days, but it can be overwhelming trying to navigate it all. Gabriel Cosmetics is a line of vegan and gluten-free cosmetics using 100% natural ingredients that are fragrance-free. This mascara is what I would call a basic, no frills mascara. It gives a very natural, light feel without being heavy or overdone – perfect for what I’m looking for in my normal life. It almost looks like an eyelash stain and while it lengthens, it does not build much volume. I can get a tiny bit of smudging here and there, but it’s minimal and I haven’t noticed any flaking yet. I might explore other natural mascara brands in the future (have any to recommend?), but I can see myself coming back to this one for sure.

6. Sephora Eyelash Curler. I love this pretty curler! It gives a great curl that lasts all day and it comes in a wide range of fun colours. I love seeing the pop of colour in my make-up bag…never gets old.

thingsimlovinglately-4155

7. PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Ahhhhh. I’m a hockey girl through and through thanks to growing up with a fanatical hockey fan for a father. It’s in my blood. Can I just say how happy I am to see the Leafs in the playoffs after nine painfully long years? The last time we watched the Leafs in the playoffs was during undergraduate university times. Crazy. I just can’t get enough of the playoffs this year and I’m following as many different series as I can find on TV. Oh, the drama that’s going on! It’s intense. I don’t know how these guys do it. The only thing better would be to score some tickets to see a playoff game in person, but sadly I don’t see that happening any time soon unless I can bribe someone with a home cooked vegan meal. Other things on TV I can’t get enough of are: The Mindy Project and Chicago Fire, but I think the season is winding down quickly.

8. Lightened Up Summer Granola. I’ve been on a big Vegan Overnight Oat kick lately and I love topping it with my favourite light summer granola. Nothing like a 2-minute breakfast.

summergranolalightvegan-9043

Other things I’m loving lately? Neon clothing of any kind (I’m an 80’s child, what can I say?), wearing a t-shirt and shorts outdoors for the first time in months, and baby geese (goslings) by the water.

babygeese

That’s a wrap. Hope your week is off to a great start!

1 Cindra June 3, 2014

A Canadian company that I have been using for cosmetics including a very nice mascara, is Pure Anada. But Dr. Hauschka and 1

00%Pure sound like they are a must try too!

Oh and neon clothing…try Warehouse One the Jean Store (not just jeans). I walked in and what a fabulous pop of gorgeous neons for spring/summer. You’ll love it.

2 Sherry Tejada June 5, 2013

The Vanilla Chai lotion is stashed everywhere! In the car, at the office, in my bag! Love it!

Sherry Tejada

3 Kendra B. May 29, 2013

If you like the Dessert Essence body wash, you should try their lotion. I recently discovered it at my local co-op and it is by far the best lotion I have ever used. Almond and Lavender scents are both great! It is non-greasy but rich enough to keep you moisturized for quite some time.

Now I am off to buy some of their body wash… ;)

4 char eats greens May 14, 2013

I used to buy the frozen wheatberries by that brand to use in cold salads!!! I should try their chickpeas too!!! And I need to get a god vegan mascara. I still just buy whatever’s on sale and I don’t want to do that any longer!!! I’m totally going to check out yours above!

5 Tracey Grimes May 13, 2013

I bought the Desert Essence shampoo and conditioner this weekend, LOVE IT!!! a girl at my work commented that my hair looked really healthy and shiny. How great is that! Thank you for the recommendation!

6 kristy May 13, 2013

Hello, I have also been trying to combat a bad skin problem since last June, which began after I stopped taking birth control pills. I have since started eating vegan about 2 months ago and I have seen improvements, but the problem isn’t 100% defeated yet. How did you heal your skin? Thank you so much in advance!

7 Milena May 12, 2013

I love your recipes! I also love the things your loving series. Will definitely be getting me some of Desert Essence.
Would you mind sharing what bathroom cleaning product(s) and laundry detergent you prefer or have had any success with?
Looking forward to your cookbook Angela!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

Hi Milena, So sorry about the delay in reply! I kept forgetting to go check out the brand of my cleaner :) For laundry, I use soap nuts. I’m fairly pleased with the results so far, although I don’t find they work as well on stained clothing.
For all-purpose cleaner, I’m currently using Nature Clean multi surface cleaner. I love it because it barely has ANY scent (normal cleaners drive me nuts), however I wouldn’t say it cuts grease as well as others. It’s an ever-evolving hunt! :) Let me know if you have any to recommend. Take care!

9 Jen May 11, 2013

Whole Foods also carries frozen brown rice and quinoa that is fantastic! Great when I don’t have a lot of time for meal preparation.

10 Kelly May 11, 2013

I’ve been using Elf brand mineral mascara – its inexpensive, vegan, and I really like the brush. I dont really know how natural their products are though.

11 Andi May 10, 2013

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this, especially about the cosmetics. I’m pretty concerned about the products I put INTO my body but haven’t given as much thought to the ones I put ON my body! Are there any sources you use to educate yourself on harmful chemicals/products often used in cosmetics? Or is it just a lot of googling ;)

12 Devra May 10, 2013

Hi Angela. Still making Happy Trails cookies. They now know me by name at Bulk Barn, and worse, I think they have my order on repeat at the cash. Do you know the nutritional
Facts, by any chance for these cookies. I made the Banana Protein Bars, and noticed the NF there. Also, I subbed buckwheat groats for buckwheat flour. They are alright, but wanted to ask you if that was an option you would have considered. Thanks so much for your terrific blog, and congratulations on all of your rewards. Well deserved!!!

13 Sue May 10, 2013

I love chickpeas and they’re so versatile. I often include them in a nice spicy curry over fragrant thai rice. That granola for breakfast looks so healthy and delicious!

14 erminia May 9, 2013

Beauty Without Cruelty has a wonderful waterproof mascara in brown that’s perfect for an everyday look and actually holds up!

15 Kelly Klepfer May 9, 2013

Arbonne just came out with an AMAZING Vegan mascara. If you email me your address I’ll be happy to send one to you. I really like our lip glosses as well. All our products are Vegan Certified. [email protected]

16 Cherie May 9, 2013

I’ve been really happy with Earth Lab’s Raw Mascara. After disappointing smudging with other brands, because I can’t seem to remember not to rub my eyes, this one is doable for me. It will still smudge, but seems to require moisture and rubbing to achieve that look.

17 Leia May 9, 2013

I always read your blog, but I never post! I really look forward to your posts about what you’re currently loving!

I’ve seen Desert Essence in stores before, and I may have to try it! Have you ever tried the deodorant? I’m on an eternal search for a decent almost natural deodorant ;-)

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hi Leia, I too have tried a TON of natural deodorants with great disappointment! The only one that I could say I would buy again is called The Healthy Deodorant by Lavanilla (the ingredients are so clean!). The only downside is that it’s very pricey! I ordered it from Sephora. I haven’t tried any Desert Essence ones yet I don’t think. Let me know if you do!

19 Arissa May 9, 2013

If you can find an Aveda salon, their Mosscara is my absolute favourite mascara! It’s all natural (as all Aveda products are), and contains Icelandic moss so your eyelashes are being conditioned while you wear it. It also makes your lashes look great, and is pretty water resistant, though not waterproof.

20 Sally Hansen May 9, 2013

Thanks Angela, for the lovely shares. I am recently into home made body scrubs and coconut oil rubs but this almond wash sounds yummy and amazing for a try. I just hope the fragrance last all day round which barely does on my starchy-dry skin

21 Court Star @ StarSystemz May 8, 2013

Great idea! I never thought of using frozen legumes as an alternative to canned (I am OVER the canned as well) thank you for such a great idea! I love dessert essence too, the stuff is just as lovely as any chemical filled product! Sending you lots of LOVE! Love + Shine CourtStar

22 Stephanie May 8, 2013

I also love this post! Where did you get the chocolate bar???

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hi Stephanie, It’s from Organic Garage – a discounted organic grocer in Oakville.

24 Stephanie May 10, 2013

Thank you!

25 kristle May 8, 2013

first i was into new girl, and would just keep the tv on while the mindy project played afterwards. but now i am totally obsessed with the mindy project!! tuesdays are my favorite day :) and i havent watched tv in the past few years at all hardly.

26 India May 8, 2013

I didn’t know there were frozen garbanzo beans! I’m getting these on my next trip to Whole Foods!

27 Hawley May 8, 2013

I recently got Dessert Essence shampoo and conditioner and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Best things ever! So so happy with them. Made me excited to see you speaking well of them as well!

28 Kelly May 8, 2013

I have been trying to cook dried beans on weekends when I have more time. I had leftover mung beans and I made your chick pea salad wrap with the mung beans instead. It was so yummy! Rain here in Phila suburbs today and I drove by a shopping center and saw a DUCK just walking around. Not a pond anywhere in the area. I laughed out loud! What is the saying something like ” weather only a duck would like”

29 meredith May 8, 2013

Please forgive me while I say, Let’s Go Islanders! I still recall the playoff series against the Leafs in 2002. I grew up a huge hockey fan and I am so glad my son is now one as well…I switched over my cosmetics as well due to the chemicals and irritations/allergies. I have been using Clinique eye products since I switched from Dior and so far so good.I read about Gabriel and have considered trying it.

30 Aaron May 8, 2013

Not sure if this has already been asked in the comments… but what gorcery store did you find the frozen legumes line at? Excited for this!

31 Violet May 8, 2013

Forgive me if I have not read all 93 comments above; you blog must be a full time job! I was amused by the frozen chickpeas. I used to soak and cook all my dried beans and legumes. Then I got lazy and started buying canned. One day I cooked my own garbanzos again and was amazed at how much better they tasted. Now I cook them in large batches, rinse and freeze them in the correct portions for a batch of hummus or to toss into a salad. Cheaper, too. Keep up the good work, Angela! You are an inspiration. Cheers, V.

32 Lindsey May 7, 2013

Love the frozen chickpeas! Hopefully I can get them here in the states!!! I mean I suppose i could always cook a bunch and freeze them myself, but why should I have all the fun? : )

ahem….GO BOSTON!!! WHOOT!!!

33 Bridget Kerans May 8, 2013

GO BLACKHAWKS! going for more:)

34 Charlotte May 7, 2013

Loved the post, only thing I don’t like is neon even though I’m also an 80’s child lol

35 Ariel May 7, 2013

Nice to see spring is putting a “spring” into your step. At some point when you have a little bit of time, I’d love to hear how you’ve managed keep up with some sense of normal as you hit the final phases with the cookbook project. I am going through a pretty intense and non-stop work/stress period – on the job, at home, extended family, etc., etc. I have found it very difficult to maintain regular exercise and eating, and just to keep smiling in general.

36 Bridget Kerans May 7, 2013

Dear Angela,
Discovered this site from See Sarah Eat (for GM recipe)
I loved your blog, kept exploring it after this story! Could you please print all the recipes used for your Mom-in-law Thanksgiving (the ones on the plate photos). I printed off the VOO recipes, look forward to making all of them sometime. Will be trying the Green Monster recipe first, want a shake/smoothie for breakfast options. I hope I’ve also signed up for your blog while I was at it. I am an O/L Veg. but I do Vegan also for friends w/allergies, health issues, etc. and like the ideas. I have been inactive for 2 yrs. now, (back in school part-time to complete degrees, working fulltime), I want to get back to being active and feeling healthier too and reading both blogs and getting meal/physical activity ideas helped.
Thanks and look forward to reading more!
Bridget

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Hi Bridget,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your comment – I’ve had a bit of a crazy week! Thanks for your kind words, I’m so glad you enjoy the blog :) Just curious what do you mean about printing the recipes off?

38 Bridget Kerans May 8, 2013

Not all the photos identified what you all were eating that year. Something that looked like a “hushpuppy” may have been bread? I tried to match up what food was in the photos as best I can with the available recipes, which I also printed off the computer (that’s what I meant) and I’d actually like the recipes to everything on the whole plate, the photos just blew me away.
Thanks for getting back to me, I know what BUSY is like! Bridget

39 Dayanna May 7, 2013

jane iredale make up – i swear by it and i am currently obsessed with the mystikol pens and sets they have!!! also bare minerals and arbonne (they have a sea aloe gel in there sea detox for sun burns etc that is simply a miracle worker!!).

40 Emily @ The Sunny Studio May 7, 2013

Thanks for the great post, Angela! I’m in the market for an organic moisturizer, have you tried any by Desert Essence?

And speaking of baby goslings, I saw a family of baby ducklings just last week! Don’t you love spring? Here’s the post I wrote about it if you want to check it out:) http://wp.me/p33L7X-r

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Hi Emily!
I’ve just started using the Desert Essence fragrance-free moisturizer (in a blue tube) and I like it so far!! My husband doesn’t like the scent (which in reality is no added scent), but I find it works nicely and I like that it doesn’t have added perfumes because they can really bother me.
Lovely pics in your spring post by the way!

42 Katrin - therawfoodsisters.com May 7, 2013

Love list like this! Happy Spring Time! It has arrived to Amsterdam as well and we are beyond happy!

43 LisaInCT May 7, 2013

Chickpeas (and other yummies) from the freezer (I will def. be checking out Stahl Bush Island Farms) AND Vegan Whipped cream! OH, you’ve made MY day!

44 Adrienne @ Whole New Mom May 7, 2013

We LOVE our hockey too and our local pro team (AHL) is in the 2nd round of the playoffs now – yippee!! Sorry, but we are rooting for the Red Wings, but still it’s nice to meet other hockey buffs :).

45 Sherry May 7, 2013

I am loving everything Spring too! I am on a mission now to find that chocolate bar – you can”t go wrong with the combo of chocolate and mint. Where did you find it?

46 Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ May 7, 2013

Cruelty-free and free of parabens body wash? Yes, please!

47 Deedee May 7, 2013

No need to buy frozen chickpeas! :) Once a month I do a chickpea, black bean etc. “session” were I soak and cook them and then divide them into ziplock bags for freezing (choose your prefered serving size). To defrost just put the bag into hot water- and of course reuse the bag :) Kind Regards from Germany, Deedee

48 jesse.anne.o May 6, 2013

I just found your blog via the Vida Vegan feed – and it’s been a while since I bought it but I love the Dessert Essence vanilla moisturizer. I’d forgotten all about the brand.

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Glad you found my blog! I’ve found quite a few through that feed too. So glad they put it together :) Hope to see you at the VVC!
Ive been using one of Desert Essence’s moisturizers and I’m really happy with it so far.

50 Hannah May 6, 2013

This is a great, natural mascara made by a Canadian company (I think from Manitoba). AND it’s very affordable. It took me about a week to get used to it – I feel like it goes on a little differently than what I was used to but now I love it. Everything I look for in a mascara: http://www.pureanada.ca/makeup/eyes/luminous-mineral-shadows/

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Awesome, thanks for sharing Hannah!

52 Anya May 6, 2013

GO LEAFS GO!! :)

I love seeing some cosmetic brands you are trying! A post about vegan apparel/shoes would be awesome:)

53 Tegan @ Happy Healthy Whole May 6, 2013

Choc mint = ultimate combo for sure. Yums :)

54 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 6, 2013

All such great things! I am definitely going to check out the Desert Essence body wash in the two scents you mentioned because they sound amazing! Did you find them at Whole Foods? I think the Leafs making the playoffs is a great excuse for a hockey party… with those spiced bar nuts you make perhaps?! ;)

55 Katie May 6, 2013

What was the cause of the skin reaction on your face? I am dealing with a similar issue.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Hi Katie, I still haven’t figured it out to be honest. Not sure if I ever will because I changed so many things in my life (beauty products, foods, detergents, etc). I still haven’t added soy or gluten back into my diet (aside from spelt that is) and a couple other suspected foods, but I will be doing that eventually. Should be interesting to see if I have any more reactions from something I was eating. It’s so hard to figure out the root cause of an allergic reaction! And stress can cause anything too…
I hope you resolve your issue soon, I know how frustrating it is to deal with :(

57 Jenc May 6, 2013

If you are looking for other beauty/body products, I love Soapwalla’s deodorant and face serum. I am amazed how well the deodorant works and the face serum has really helped reduce the redness in my face. I’m going to try their soaps next as they look great. I use a lot of Origins makeup and really like that line.

58 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 6, 2013

Maybe I am living under a rock, but I had no idea that they even sold frozen chickpeas!! Thanks for the heads up! :)

59 Michelle May 6, 2013

Hi~
I made the potato black bean nacho plate yesterday…oh my! My family (esp my dad) gobbled it up.
Thanks for the make up tip – please keep sharing!
I love the baby geese- so cute and fuzzy.

60 Emily K. @ Leaf Parade May 6, 2013

I love the Desert Essence sweet almond scent! The body lotion smells so good that I almost want to eat it — and I probably could with all those great ingredients! I’m also loving Gabriel cosmetics lately, though I’m not big into mascara. I might give it try, though. Thanks!

When I cook beans, I make a huge, HUGE(!) pot of them and then I freeze them in batches in their cooking liquid. It’s so easy to just pull a tub out of the freezer the night before I need it. And very cheap!

-Emily K.

61 Taylor May 6, 2013

I recently bought mascara and a lip/cheek stain from the 100% Pure line and I like them. They brand is fairly inexpensive. It’s all natural and uses fruit pigments for color. The physicians formula organic line is good too. I’ve used the mascara and eyeliner. Honeybee gardens is another natural brand, I haven’t tried their stuff but it’s pretty cheap! I would also recommend swansonvitamins.com. They have natural cosmetics, face creams, hair products, etc. I recently bought face cream and witch hazel toner from them and I like both a lot so far. They have a ton of great products and really good prices. Woo lost post! I’ve been getting into more natural products lately so I just thought I’d share :) Hope this helps!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Will check them out soon :)

63 Brittany Napier May 6, 2013

I literally just bought the Vanilla Chai scent from Marshall’s at a discounted price! I was super excited to see that it was vegan and couldn’t resist. I was so surprised when I saw it on your blog – which I am addicted to by the way, thank you! – and now I can’t wait to try it even more!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2013

Hope you enjoy it!

65 Produce on Parade May 6, 2013

I have the vanilla chai body lotion and I just bought the body wash! As far as the mascara goes, I just bought an Ecco Bella one off amazon. They are vegan and cruelty-free, it’s on it’s way so I haven’t tried it yet but I’ll let you know how it is! :)

66 Calgary Caterers May 6, 2013

I’m a hockey girl too!

67 Lara May 6, 2013

I loooove these posts! As for skincare, I had one at home which isn’t strictly vegan (it has beeswax) but it is still natural and it’s the best natural mascara I’ve tried so far. No clumping etc. and it gives more volume and length than I had expected. It also doesn’t smear or anything which happens to me very often. However I’m not sure if it’s available in Canada: Annemarie Börlind’s “Long Lasting Volume Mascara”.
When it’s empty, I’ll have to watch out for a new one which IS vegan because it don’t want to use bee products anymore, so thanks for the great tip!
Mascaras I sadly can’t recommend are those from Lavera. They give me panda eyes within 1 hour.

I’m very happy to read that your skin has gotten better! So do you already know what caused the trouble? :)
Love, Lara

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hey Lara!
Thanks :) I still have no clue what caused the skin issues! The problem is, I changed so many things in my diet and with my skin products (plus, we switched to natural cleaners/detergents!) it could be one of many things. I don’t know if I will ever know. I still haven’t re-introduced soy and gluten yet and a couple other suspected foods, but will have to at some point! I was also going through a stressful time so it could be stress related too. Oh the body is a mystery isn’t it?

69 Lara May 7, 2013

At the risk of answering a rhetorical question: Oh yes it is! I had a LOT of stress recently with school and final exams and things that I suddenly wasn’t able to breathe properly anymore. That was scary! When inhaling, my breath just suddenly stopped before my lungs were filled and I couldn’t do anything against it. But since those exams are almost over now and I started doing Yoga, it’s slowly getting better again.

However, good luck for your search for clues! ;) I recently cut out wheat (only wheat, not gluten) and that makes me feel way better, too.

70 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 6, 2013

I love mascaras by Honeybee Gardens, 100% Pure, Arbonne, and Jose Maran, if you are looking for suggestions. I also have a list of non-toxic beauty brands on my blog. :)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Erin, Thanks for the link! I’m loving the list and will print it off to keep handy. I find it so hard to keep track of all the various brands!

72 [email protected] May 6, 2013

Totally back in the overnight oat kick myself! Loving trying new varieties all over again! Love the hockey top! :)

73 Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes May 6, 2013

I’m obsessing over chickpeas, strawberries and hockey as well. I never knew frozen chickpeas were available so thank you for that!!! But unfortunately I’m coming out for my team, the Habs. We can still be friends, though, right?? :) Have a great day!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Well, my dad and sis (+ brother in law) are devout Habs fans, so I’m willing to let it slide. hah ;) Even though I cheer for the Leafs, I still like to root for my fav Canadian players!

75 Shira May 6, 2013

Yesyesyes GO LEAFS GO!! Lived my whole life in Toronto/GTA sooo it’s preetty exciting :) Also loved The Mindy Project this year, it’s hilarious!

76 Victoria May 6, 2013

Just discovered your site whilst looking for a recipe for raw broccoli salad. Detox salad it is. Thank you!

Dr. Haushka mascara is the best I have ever used. Natural ingredients (smells like roses), never clumps, non- irritating and makes my lashes look fabulous. I try others and always go back.

77 Brittany May 6, 2013

I am in love with 100% Pure EVERYTHING and think you should try their mascaras! They have no icky, weird ingredients and they smell faintly of berries. They make my eyelashes full and long! I have been using their mascaras for years and have no plans of changing.

78 Lillian @Seize the Latte May 6, 2013

I love everything in this post! The Stahlbush Farms products are fantastic, and I’m a big fan of theirs as well. The frozen chicpeas (as well as the black beans and rice) are super convenient, and I’m always amazed by how easy they are to use.

And omigod, strawberries. I’m so excited for their arrival! I can’t wait to bust out all things strawberry — it’s gonna happen soon. Between that and the lightened-up granola, it’s a serious food win. :)

79 Ellen May 6, 2013

I really like the afterglow cosmetics mascara. Totally natural, gluten free, etc. and it works every bit as good as “regular” mascara.

80 Anna @ Your Healthy Place May 6, 2013

I agree with you on the chocolate squares – those are my kind of size squares!

As for the Stahl Bush Farms – LOVE their frozen organic berries for smoothies and their butternut squash, as that is one thing I am always way too lazy to buy and chop up myself!

Thanks for reminding me about your lightened up granola recipe. I’ve been relying on smoothies for breakfast now the weather has warmed up but wouldn’t mind something a bit heartier!

81 Kelly P May 6, 2013

Great list! Yesss for strawberries. I’d also add the extra hours of daylight we’re getting!
One question: I’ve read, and re-read, your tutorial for making whipped coconut cream. I have tried it twice and failed. I mean, it’s thick…but it comes out of the can that way. No amount of whipping (5+ minutes with an electric mixer) seems to make it get all light and fluffy the way regular cream whips. Is this normal? It’s still delicious, but it doesn’t have the same body. I’d appreciate any tips anyone could give me!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Kelly,

A bunch of people have had this problem and I think the consistency can vary A LOT by brand from what it seems like. I use Native Forest full-fat – it also has added guar gum which might help with the consistency. What brand did you try?

83 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 6, 2013

I just love every single thing about this post, including HOCKEY! I’m a Blackhawks fan so I’m hoping our season will continue. I never thought I would be a hockey fan but my boyfriend converted me : ) I don’t know how those guys do it either, so much drama!

84 Lindsay May 6, 2013

Hi Angela! Where do you buy the desert essence products? I’m hoping I can find them somewhere in Vancouver!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Lindsay, I’ve been buying them from Organic Garage which is a discounted organic grocery store here in Oakville. I think I’ve also seen them in Fortinos (natural food/health section). Maybe their website has a list of vendors?

86 Jamie May 8, 2013

Hi Lindsay,

If you don’t have luck with your local stores and you’re okay with online purchasing, well.ca has Desert Essence products as well. I’ve purchased from them before and it was very easy, plus shipping is free if your order is more than $25.

87 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 6, 2013

Looking forward to the strawberry vanilla chia seed jam recipe!

88 Julie from Montreal May 6, 2013

I don’t know if you’ve tried it already, but Aveda Mosscara is vegan and I find that it works pretty well. It’s not waterproof, but even if you’re caught in the rain or you workout (and sweat), it won’t smudge unless you touch it.

As for the Theobroma chocolates, they are SO good, it’s dangerous actually… They have them at the counter of pretty much all the health food store in Montreal, so it’s pretty hard to resist… Especially when it’s the chocolate filled with maple butter… Mmmmmm

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Julie, I wasn’t aware of that mascara! I’ll have to scope it out next time I’m at the mall.

Did you say chocolate filled with maple butter? omg. Now I want to make maple butter cups :)

90 jyovee May 6, 2013

I love this post….esp the coconut one :-))

hey can you suggest me some nice lip colors/lip gloss? most of them are loaded with lots of chemicals these days and i don’t want to put something filled with chemical on my lips…as i always end up getting it inside :-))

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’ve looked and looked for natural lip glosses lately and haven’t found anything quite yet. Most of them have artificial dyes. That’s why I’ve been using the beet juice + vitamin e oil trick. Works well for now, but I’d like to find something else! If anyone else knows of any, feel free to give it a shout out.

92 Sonja May 18, 2013

Hi Angela,
rms beauty, ILIA Beauty, and Revolution Organics make incredible lip glosses and lipsticks. All of them are chemical free, but I’m not sure which ones would be vegan. The added bonus with rms beauty is that their lip colours double as blushes :)

p.s. I’ve been following your blog for quite a long time now and you continue to inspire my vegan diet. I’m so excited for the release of your cookbook!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hi Sonja, Thank you so much! I will check them out :)

94 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 6, 2013

Neon clothing…well I just got a pair of running shoes that are shocking neon green. They were out of my size in any other color and so neon it was. Let’s just say you’ll always be able to find me in the dark in those.

Love all the links and the goodies and what you’re loving. Always fun to see what things people love!

95 Marissa May 6, 2013

Fellow die-hard hockey fan here (Let’s go Pens!). Wow, I didn’t realize the Leafs haven’t clinched a playoff spot for that long. I can just feel your excitement! Seems like most of the teams really amped up their play this season since it was so short. I’ve seen a lot of incredible games.

96 Jenni May 6, 2013

I have the Sephora eyelash curler in pink. I love it! I’ve never even seen frozen garbanzo beans before. I always buy them canned (BPA free). I usually use garbanzos in a salad, or I roast them with vegetables. Do they defrost quickly? And is there a texture difference? I’m intrigued now!

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’d say the texture is fairly similar to canned actually! Not sure how long they take to thaw exactly, but you could also warm them in a pot of water too. :)

98 Jill May 6, 2013

Ooh I’m going to have to grab some of those frozen legumes. I like having cans on hand for when I’m low on groceries, but stocking my freezer with those would be a better option!

99 Emily May 6, 2013

I am LOVING the playoffs this year as well. It just feels like after the lockout, everyone is excited for hockey now! As a Pittsburgher, I’m a Pens fan no matter what, but all these games lately have been so exciting!!!

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Agree – I will be so sad when it’s over! Hopefully no lock out next year :)

101 Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan May 6, 2013

Seriously…those goslings? I just died a little bit from the cuteness.

102 Hayley May 6, 2013

Everything by 100% Pure is amazing – cosmetics, skin care, hair care, all of it.

103 kendy May 6, 2013

I really dig Desert Essence products! They all smell so good!

104 Sarah | Sarah The Architect May 6, 2013

That chocolate sounds amazing!!

105 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 6, 2013

Great post! I def want to try the Desert Essence products. They sound great! Also, that chocolate…yummy! Need to give that a try too!

106 Maria May 6, 2013

I love BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara – they says it’s 100% all natural (I may have to look into it further), but it is incredible. The brush is small and easy to use and it adds volume without looking like you have a lot of makeup on. I love it and will never try anything else!

107 Emily May 6, 2013

i’m currently in love with the desert essence coconut body wash. i <3 all things coconut (:

108 Sheena May 6, 2013

Love this post, always nice to get inspired by new ideas!

I actually run my own home based business and am an Independent Consultant for a line of beauty and health products that are Vegan, cruelty free and free of harmful ingredients.

If you want more information feel free to drop me a line!

109 Red Deception May 6, 2013

I adore the Desert Essence brand… I use the raspberry shampoo and conditioner, and it keeps my dry, curly, red hair from being horribly unmanageable.

I use “100% Pure” mascara, which I love. It’s fruit and flower based, all natural. It even smells sweet! It lengthens and darkens my lashes, but is not waterproof!

Geeze, I’m surrounded by Leafs, Sens, and Oilers fans up here. I stand solo in my celebration for the Pens and Canuks!!

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’ve heard great things about that brand too. I’ll have to check it out.
I have a soft spot for the pens too…yesterday’s game was pretty exciting!

111 Brooke May 7, 2013

I have to second that recommendation for 100% Pure. I only use their makeup as I haven’t found anything else that comes close to the purity of their ingredients. The only problem I have with their stuff is that they don’t exclusively use essential oils. Sometimes it’s limonene or geraniol or some other “component” of essential oils, but this is just me being super picky. The rest of their ingredients are awesome…almost too awesome to where I think they are leaving things off their label, but I certainly hope they are not doing that. Anyways, I love both the brown and black mascaras they have and I have to say that the mini mascaras are easier to use. They dry out less and the wand is better. Their other makeup products and bodycare products are great as well. Let us know if you try it out :-)

112 Leia May 9, 2013

I love 100% Pure’s mascara! I use the Blackberry color, it’s a dark purple that’s softer than black. It never flakes or smudges (even through hot yoga!)!

113 Christine Storie May 6, 2013

Since you asked, Ava Anderson’s mascara is simply the best natural item I have tried. Simple and long lasting, free of all the chemical no-no’s. It does add bulk, doesn’t smear, and can top off both a simple look and an evening out look. Ava prides herself on providing a full line of toxin free products, and they are all amazing. I have been a consultant for some time and just love it. I’m happy to answer any questions. Check it out!

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to check it out sometime!

115 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 6, 2013

I love the series of things you’re loving.

That’s great to hear about frozen chickpeas- I usually buy canned because dried are such a pain in the a$$ but frozen sounds like an even better alternative!

And I agree on the strawberries- I bought a 10 pound container of them over the weekend….so excited to just snack on them non-stop over the next few days.

116 Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor May 6, 2013

I’m going to have to try that chocolate. I love anything with mint and that chocolate sounds amazing.

117 Krista May 6, 2013

I came across green garbanzos in the frozen section yesterday but wasn’t sure if that’s genetically engineered or are green garbanzos a real type of bean.. anyone happen to know?

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I never knew they existed until now – just googled them! Crazy stuff. Maybe try emailing the brand and asking how they are produced?

119 Stefani May 6, 2013

I’m now on the hunt for frozen chickpeas and Theobroma chocolate. And yes – double square size is so wonderful. It’s so much easier to justify eating the whole bar when it’s half the number of squares…right? ;-)

120 Nicole May 6, 2013

Yea!! I am glad you are finding some products that work for you. I haven’t tried the Dessert Essence body washes, but the hand cream is amazing. I was just looking at that eyelash curler, too! I’m probably going to try Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes next, http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-lights-camera-lashes-mascara, but I can’t vouch for it as of yet. I, too, saw goslings this weekend! I couldn’t remember if they were called that or not, so I kept calling them Ryan Goslings. Thanks for sharing what you’re loving! These posts always make me happy.

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

If you search gosling in google images all you see is Ryan’s picture! hah

122 Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine May 6, 2013

Love these posts..always inspires me to add 8 new things on my “must-try” list! I love thickening my oatmeal with chia..the strawberry chia jams would be an amazing addition, can’t wait for that post!

123 Makenzie Ann @ KenzysKitchen May 6, 2013

I will have to check out that mascara!! Thanks for the reminder about vegan and gluten free skin care products…….it can be so easy to just focus on making what we eat be clean and healthy and totally forgetting to consider what’s in the products we apply daily! Eek…at least for me it is haha :) Thanks for the great post!!

124 Sara May 6, 2013

Theobroma chocolate I haven’t seen anywhere around here in NC. Hmmmm….

That granola looks delicious!

125 Maree Kniest May 16, 2013

Hello,
I am a huge fan! I love to cook and have enjoyed many of your creations in my own kitchen. Thanks for sharing. Your cookbook will be incredible!

126 Christi May 6, 2013

I always have a bottle of Desert Essence Hand Lotion in my purse, I love the Almond scent!

127 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 6, 2013

Aw, I love the baby geese, so precious! And I made cupcakes with strawberries and coconut whipped icing that were amazing. Thank you for your coconut whipped cream tutorial, it was so helpful! :)

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

That sounds lovely – glad it was helpful!

129 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 6, 2013

Love that this post reminded me of overnight oats!! I used to have them ALL the time and then fell off the oat-bandwagon. Definitely will be having them tomorrow :D

130 Elle May 6, 2013

New to your blog and love it! Go Leafs Go!!!!