8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

Two of these posts in less than 1 month? I’m on a roll. Spring, I love everything about you.

Let’s get right down to business!

thingsimlovinglately 4117   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Editionthingsimlovinglately 4120   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

1. Desert Essence Body Wash. This is my new favourite body wash – well, I can’t decide between the Vanilla Chai and Almond scents because they are both delightful. The lather is quite foamy too which is a big plus for me. It’s 100% vegan, cruelty-free and free of parabens, SLS, phthalates, artificial fragrances or colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or petroleum-based ingredients. Bravo, Desert Essence.

2. Frozen Chickpeas. Lately, I’ve been looking for alternatives to canned goods and I came across this line of frozen legumes and vegetables from Stahl Bush Island Farms. Cooking from scratch is always the cheaper option, but let’s face it; sometimes we need something ready in a flash. I just thaw the bag in the fridge overnight and they are ready to be added into dishes or made into hummus. This company has a variety of frozen products from butternut squash to lentils as well.

thingsimlovinglately 4122   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Editionstrawberry 3864   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

3. Theobroma Chocolat – Mint Leaves. This is a new-to-me chocolate and I’m hooked. Some days I have to hide it from myself which works for about 3 minutes. If you are a chocolate + mint fan, you will love this bar.

PS- Don’t you love when one square of chocolate is double the size of normal squares? I’m betting a woman designed this bar.

4. Strawberries. Topped with Coconut Whipped Cream for dessert. I’m also playing around with a strawberry vanilla and strawberry orange chia seed jam recipe. Yum, yum, yum.

thingsimlovinglately 4139   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

5. Gabriel Mascara. When I had a nasty skin reaction earlier this year, I really had to overhaul the chemical-laden products I was putting on my skin each day. Luckily, there are so many choices out there these days, but it can be overwhelming trying to navigate it all. Gabriel Cosmetics is a line of vegan and gluten-free cosmetics using 100% natural ingredients that are fragrance-free. This mascara is what I would call a basic, no frills mascara. It gives a very natural, light feel without being heavy or overdone – perfect for what I’m looking for in my normal life. It almost looks like an eyelash stain and while it lengthens, it does not build much volume. I can get a tiny bit of smudging here and there, but it’s minimal and I haven’t noticed any flaking yet. I might explore other natural mascara brands in the future (have any to recommend?), but I can see myself coming back to this one for sure.

6. Sephora Eyelash Curler. I love this pretty curler! It gives a great curl that lasts all day and it comes in a wide range of fun colours. I love seeing the pop of colour in my make-up bag…never gets old.

thingsimlovinglately 4155   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

7. PLAYOFF HOCKEY! Ahhhhh. I’m a hockey girl through and through thanks to growing up with a fanatical hockey fan for a father. It’s in my blood. Can I just say how happy I am to see the Leafs in the playoffs after nine painfully long years? The last time we watched the Leafs in the playoffs was during undergraduate university times. Crazy. I just can’t get enough of the playoffs this year and I’m following as many different series as I can find on TV. Oh, the drama that’s going on! It’s intense. I don’t know how these guys do it. The only thing better would be to score some tickets to see a playoff game in person, but sadly I don’t see that happening any time soon unless I can bribe someone with a home cooked vegan meal. Other things on TV I can’t get enough of are: The Mindy Project and Chicago Fire, but I think the season is winding down quickly.

8. Lightened Up Summer Granola. I’ve been on a big Vegan Overnight Oat kick lately and I love topping it with my favourite light summer granola. Nothing like a 2-minute breakfast.

summergranolalightvegan 9043   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

Other things I’m loving lately? Neon clothing of any kind (I’m an 80’s child, what can I say?), wearing a t-shirt and shorts outdoors for the first time in months, and baby geese (goslings) by the water.

babygeese   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Food, Cosmetics, & Hockey Edition

That’s a wrap. Hope your week is off to a great start!

Elle May 6, 2013

New to your blog and love it! Go Leafs Go!!!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 6, 2013

Love that this post reminded me of overnight oats!! I used to have them ALL the time and then fell off the oat-bandwagon. Definitely will be having them tomorrow :D

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 6, 2013

Aw, I love the baby geese, so precious! And I made cupcakes with strawberries and coconut whipped icing that were amazing. Thank you for your coconut whipped cream tutorial, it was so helpful! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

That sounds lovely – glad it was helpful!

Christi May 6, 2013

I always have a bottle of Desert Essence Hand Lotion in my purse, I love the Almond scent!

Sara May 6, 2013

Theobroma chocolate I haven’t seen anywhere around here in NC. Hmmmm….

That granola looks delicious!

Maree Kniest May 16, 2013

Hello,
I am a huge fan! I love to cook and have enjoyed many of your creations in my own kitchen. Thanks for sharing. Your cookbook will be incredible!

Makenzie Ann @ KenzysKitchen May 6, 2013

I will have to check out that mascara!! Thanks for the reminder about vegan and gluten free skin care products…….it can be so easy to just focus on making what we eat be clean and healthy and totally forgetting to consider what’s in the products we apply daily! Eek…at least for me it is haha :) Thanks for the great post!!

Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine May 6, 2013

Love these posts..always inspires me to add 8 new things on my “must-try” list! I love thickening my oatmeal with chia..the strawberry chia jams would be an amazing addition, can’t wait for that post!

Nicole May 6, 2013

Yea!! I am glad you are finding some products that work for you. I haven’t tried the Dessert Essence body washes, but the hand cream is amazing. I was just looking at that eyelash curler, too! I’m probably going to try Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes next, http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-lights-camera-lashes-mascara, but I can’t vouch for it as of yet. I, too, saw goslings this weekend! I couldn’t remember if they were called that or not, so I kept calling them Ryan Goslings. Thanks for sharing what you’re loving! These posts always make me happy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

If you search gosling in google images all you see is Ryan’s picture! hah

Stefani May 6, 2013

I’m now on the hunt for frozen chickpeas and Theobroma chocolate. And yes – double square size is so wonderful. It’s so much easier to justify eating the whole bar when it’s half the number of squares…right? ;-)

Krista May 6, 2013

I came across green garbanzos in the frozen section yesterday but wasn’t sure if that’s genetically engineered or are green garbanzos a real type of bean.. anyone happen to know?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I never knew they existed until now – just googled them! Crazy stuff. Maybe try emailing the brand and asking how they are produced?

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor May 6, 2013

I’m going to have to try that chocolate. I love anything with mint and that chocolate sounds amazing.

Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 6, 2013

I love the series of things you’re loving.

That’s great to hear about frozen chickpeas- I usually buy canned because dried are such a pain in the a$$ but frozen sounds like an even better alternative!

And I agree on the strawberries- I bought a 10 pound container of them over the weekend….so excited to just snack on them non-stop over the next few days.

Christine Storie May 6, 2013

Since you asked, Ava Anderson’s mascara is simply the best natural item I have tried. Simple and long lasting, free of all the chemical no-no’s. It does add bulk, doesn’t smear, and can top off both a simple look and an evening out look. Ava prides herself on providing a full line of toxin free products, and they are all amazing. I have been a consultant for some time and just love it. I’m happy to answer any questions. Check it out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to check it out sometime!

Red Deception May 6, 2013

I adore the Desert Essence brand… I use the raspberry shampoo and conditioner, and it keeps my dry, curly, red hair from being horribly unmanageable.

I use “100% Pure” mascara, which I love. It’s fruit and flower based, all natural. It even smells sweet! It lengthens and darkens my lashes, but is not waterproof!

Geeze, I’m surrounded by Leafs, Sens, and Oilers fans up here. I stand solo in my celebration for the Pens and Canuks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’ve heard great things about that brand too. I’ll have to check it out.
I have a soft spot for the pens too…yesterday’s game was pretty exciting!

Brooke May 7, 2013

I have to second that recommendation for 100% Pure. I only use their makeup as I haven’t found anything else that comes close to the purity of their ingredients. The only problem I have with their stuff is that they don’t exclusively use essential oils. Sometimes it’s limonene or geraniol or some other “component” of essential oils, but this is just me being super picky. The rest of their ingredients are awesome…almost too awesome to where I think they are leaving things off their label, but I certainly hope they are not doing that. Anyways, I love both the brown and black mascaras they have and I have to say that the mini mascaras are easier to use. They dry out less and the wand is better. Their other makeup products and bodycare products are great as well. Let us know if you try it out :-)

Leia May 9, 2013

I love 100% Pure’s mascara! I use the Blackberry color, it’s a dark purple that’s softer than black. It never flakes or smudges (even through hot yoga!)!

Sheena May 6, 2013

Love this post, always nice to get inspired by new ideas!

I actually run my own home based business and am an Independent Consultant for a line of beauty and health products that are Vegan, cruelty free and free of harmful ingredients.

If you want more information feel free to drop me a line!

Emily May 6, 2013

i’m currently in love with the desert essence coconut body wash. i <3 all things coconut (:

Maria May 6, 2013

I love BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara – they says it’s 100% all natural (I may have to look into it further), but it is incredible. The brush is small and easy to use and it adds volume without looking like you have a lot of makeup on. I love it and will never try anything else!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 6, 2013

Great post! I def want to try the Desert Essence products. They sound great! Also, that chocolate…yummy! Need to give that a try too!

Sarah | Sarah The Architect May 6, 2013

That chocolate sounds amazing!!

kendy May 6, 2013

I really dig Desert Essence products! They all smell so good!

Hayley May 6, 2013

Everything by 100% Pure is amazing – cosmetics, skin care, hair care, all of it.

Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan May 6, 2013

Seriously…those goslings? I just died a little bit from the cuteness.

Emily May 6, 2013

I am LOVING the playoffs this year as well. It just feels like after the lockout, everyone is excited for hockey now! As a Pittsburgher, I’m a Pens fan no matter what, but all these games lately have been so exciting!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Agree – I will be so sad when it’s over! Hopefully no lock out next year :)

Jill May 6, 2013

Ooh I’m going to have to grab some of those frozen legumes. I like having cans on hand for when I’m low on groceries, but stocking my freezer with those would be a better option!

Jenni May 6, 2013

I have the Sephora eyelash curler in pink. I love it! I’ve never even seen frozen garbanzo beans before. I always buy them canned (BPA free). I usually use garbanzos in a salad, or I roast them with vegetables. Do they defrost quickly? And is there a texture difference? I’m intrigued now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’d say the texture is fairly similar to canned actually! Not sure how long they take to thaw exactly, but you could also warm them in a pot of water too. :)

Marissa May 6, 2013

Fellow die-hard hockey fan here (Let’s go Pens!). Wow, I didn’t realize the Leafs haven’t clinched a playoff spot for that long. I can just feel your excitement! Seems like most of the teams really amped up their play this season since it was so short. I’ve seen a lot of incredible games.

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 6, 2013

Neon clothing…well I just got a pair of running shoes that are shocking neon green. They were out of my size in any other color and so neon it was. Let’s just say you’ll always be able to find me in the dark in those.

Love all the links and the goodies and what you’re loving. Always fun to see what things people love!

jyovee May 6, 2013

I love this post….esp the coconut one :-))

hey can you suggest me some nice lip colors/lip gloss? most of them are loaded with lots of chemicals these days and i don’t want to put something filled with chemical on my lips…as i always end up getting it inside :-))

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

I’ve looked and looked for natural lip glosses lately and haven’t found anything quite yet. Most of them have artificial dyes. That’s why I’ve been using the beet juice + vitamin e oil trick. Works well for now, but I’d like to find something else! If anyone else knows of any, feel free to give it a shout out.

Sonja May 18, 2013

Hi Angela,
rms beauty, ILIA Beauty, and Revolution Organics make incredible lip glosses and lipsticks. All of them are chemical free, but I’m not sure which ones would be vegan. The added bonus with rms beauty is that their lip colours double as blushes :)

p.s. I’ve been following your blog for quite a long time now and you continue to inspire my vegan diet. I’m so excited for the release of your cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hi Sonja, Thank you so much! I will check them out :)

Julie from Montreal May 6, 2013

I don’t know if you’ve tried it already, but Aveda Mosscara is vegan and I find that it works pretty well. It’s not waterproof, but even if you’re caught in the rain or you workout (and sweat), it won’t smudge unless you touch it.

As for the Theobroma chocolates, they are SO good, it’s dangerous actually… They have them at the counter of pretty much all the health food store in Montreal, so it’s pretty hard to resist… Especially when it’s the chocolate filled with maple butter… Mmmmmm

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Julie, I wasn’t aware of that mascara! I’ll have to scope it out next time I’m at the mall.

Did you say chocolate filled with maple butter? omg. Now I want to make maple butter cups :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 6, 2013

Looking forward to the strawberry vanilla chia seed jam recipe!

Lindsay May 6, 2013

Hi Angela! Where do you buy the desert essence products? I’m hoping I can find them somewhere in Vancouver!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Lindsay, I’ve been buying them from Organic Garage which is a discounted organic grocery store here in Oakville. I think I’ve also seen them in Fortinos (natural food/health section). Maybe their website has a list of vendors?

Jamie May 8, 2013

Hi Lindsay,

If you don’t have luck with your local stores and you’re okay with online purchasing, well.ca has Desert Essence products as well. I’ve purchased from them before and it was very easy, plus shipping is free if your order is more than $25.

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 6, 2013

I just love every single thing about this post, including HOCKEY! I’m a Blackhawks fan so I’m hoping our season will continue. I never thought I would be a hockey fan but my boyfriend converted me : ) I don’t know how those guys do it either, so much drama!

Kelly P May 6, 2013

Great list! Yesss for strawberries. I’d also add the extra hours of daylight we’re getting!
One question: I’ve read, and re-read, your tutorial for making whipped coconut cream. I have tried it twice and failed. I mean, it’s thick…but it comes out of the can that way. No amount of whipping (5+ minutes with an electric mixer) seems to make it get all light and fluffy the way regular cream whips. Is this normal? It’s still delicious, but it doesn’t have the same body. I’d appreciate any tips anyone could give me!

Hi Kelly,

A bunch of people have had this problem and I think the consistency can vary A LOT by brand from what it seems like. I use Native Forest full-fat – it also has added guar gum which might help with the consistency. What brand did you try?

Anna @ Your Healthy Place May 6, 2013

I agree with you on the chocolate squares – those are my kind of size squares!

As for the Stahl Bush Farms – LOVE their frozen organic berries for smoothies and their butternut squash, as that is one thing I am always way too lazy to buy and chop up myself!

Thanks for reminding me about your lightened up granola recipe. I’ve been relying on smoothies for breakfast now the weather has warmed up but wouldn’t mind something a bit heartier!

Ellen May 6, 2013

I really like the afterglow cosmetics mascara. Totally natural, gluten free, etc. and it works every bit as good as “regular” mascara.

Lillian @Seize the Latte May 6, 2013

I love everything in this post! The Stahlbush Farms products are fantastic, and I’m a big fan of theirs as well. The frozen chicpeas (as well as the black beans and rice) are super convenient, and I’m always amazed by how easy they are to use.

And omigod, strawberries. I’m so excited for their arrival! I can’t wait to bust out all things strawberry — it’s gonna happen soon. Between that and the lightened-up granola, it’s a serious food win. :)

Brittany May 6, 2013

I am in love with 100% Pure EVERYTHING and think you should try their mascaras! They have no icky, weird ingredients and they smell faintly of berries. They make my eyelashes full and long! I have been using their mascaras for years and have no plans of changing.

Victoria May 6, 2013

Just discovered your site whilst looking for a recipe for raw broccoli salad. Detox salad it is. Thank you!

Dr. Haushka mascara is the best I have ever used. Natural ingredients (smells like roses), never clumps, non- irritating and makes my lashes look fabulous. I try others and always go back.

Shira May 6, 2013

Yesyesyes GO LEAFS GO!! Lived my whole life in Toronto/GTA sooo it’s preetty exciting :) Also loved The Mindy Project this year, it’s hilarious!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes May 6, 2013

I’m obsessing over chickpeas, strawberries and hockey as well. I never knew frozen chickpeas were available so thank you for that!!! But unfortunately I’m coming out for my team, the Habs. We can still be friends, though, right?? :) Have a great day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Well, my dad and sis (+ brother in law) are devout Habs fans, so I’m willing to let it slide. hah ;) Even though I cheer for the Leafs, I still like to root for my fav Canadian players!

Page 1 of 3123»