Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

macaroonthumbprintcookies 2990   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

I was so excited when I found this bag of organic jelly beans free of artificial colors and gelatin at the grocery store (Fortinos, for those of you in Ontario).

easterbirdnestmacaroon 2946   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

The ingredients list appeared to be vegan (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Colors Added (including Black Carrot Juice Concentrate, Turmeric, Annatto), Natural Flavors, Confectioner’s Glaze, Carnauba Wax, Organic Sunflower Oil), but after I did a little research on the company’s website I discovered the jelly beans are vegetarian but not vegan (they didn’t say why so I emailed them to inquire). It turns out confectioner’s glaze is the culprit. It’s a clear coating used for candy (and other non-edible products under the name “shellac”) and is derived from secretions of the female lac bug. After a quick Google search I came across Vegan Sweets jelly beans. If anyone knows of any other vegan jelly bean brands out there, feel free to give them a shout-out below!

easterbirdnestmacaroon 2956   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

Anyway, I discovered this little recipe snafu, of course, after making my lovely Easter macaroon nests. All the pictures were shot and edited and the post was written up ready to be published. Rather than giving you a recipe that wasn’t 100% vegan, I decided to go back to the drawing board and create something new. Thankfully, the answer came to me quickly – macaroon thumbprints. Since the “nests” already looked like the beginnings of a thumbprint cookie all I had to do was fill the well with jam. It just so happened that I had a fresh batch of chia seed jam waiting in the fridge. Last week, I made a batch using a bag of frozen raspberries. It worked like a charm!

macaroonthumbprintcookies 2983   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

Love, love, love!

Macaroon thumbprints with raspberry chia jam, it is. You know what, I think I like these even better than the original recipe. Much more my style, anyway.

macaroonthumbprintcookies 2986   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF) macaroonthumbprintcookies 2987   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

The macaroon dough comes together so quickly. Then you simply shape the dough into nests (I just typed breasts – those work too!), fill with jam, and bake at a low temperature – 275F seemed to work nicely for me. Baking at a high heat can brown these babies long before they are cooked through so it’s best to take a slow and steady approach with the heat. I’m sure they would also work beautifully in the dehydrator if you have one.

Oh and one last thing I should mention. I used unsweetened flaked coconut as opposed to unsweetened shredded coconut (which I normally use in my recipes). I used the longer flakes because I thought it would yield a more rustic looking cookie, but if you only have the shredded stuff on hand that will work fine too.

macaroonthumbprintcookies 3004   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, grain-free, soy-free

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 10 macaroons

For the macaroons:

1.5 cups unsweetened flaked coconut

1 cup almond flour (or almond meal)

scant 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup coconut butter, softened (no subs- this binds the cookies together)

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the chia seed jam (makes about 1 cup)

3 cups frozen raspberries

1/4 cup pure maple syrup, or to taste

2 tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. For the chia seed jam: Add frozen raspberries and maple syrup into a medium pot and bring to a simmer. After 5 minutes or so, stir in the chia seeds. Continue to cook down the mixture for about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Chill in the fridge for a couple hours to thicken it up even more.

2. Preheat oven to 275F and line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. If you have a non-stick mat, use it because it will help prevent browning on the bottom.

3. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, almond flour (or meal), and salt.

4. Melt the coconut butter over a very low heat. I suggest using a double boiler so it doesn’t burn.

5. Add the maple syrup, softened coconut butter, and vanilla into the dry mixture and stir very well until combined. The dough will be very wet and sticky, but this is normal.

6. Grab a couple tablespoons of dough at a time with your hands and drop it onto the baking sheet. With a wet finger, press a well into the middle and lightly shape the outsides if necessary. Repeat for the rest. Fill each well with jam. The macaroons don’t spread out so there’s no need to space them far apart.

7. Bake at 275F for 20 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 10-20 minutes (I baked for 40 mins. total – but you may need less depending on your oven) until the bottoms are lightly golden and browned, but not burned. If you have a hot oven, I suggest watching it closely or even reducing the heat to 250F. Place pan on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes and then transfer each macaroon onto the cooling rack until completely cool. The macaroons will be very soft at first, but will firm as they cool. I enjoy them the most chilled, straight from the fridge.

Notes: You can probably swap the maple syrup for another liquid sweetener of your choice. Also, if you can’t have almonds, you might be able to swap the almond flour for oat flour. I haven’t tried this yet myself though so be sure to report back if you try it out.

Nutritional Info

nobakemacaroonsveganchocolate 2652   Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

For no-bake chocolate macaroons, be sure to see this post.

I hope you have a great start to your (hopefully short) work week!

Jess March 25, 2013

I LOVE this – because I actually printed your original macaroon recipe with the intention of making jelly bean nests!!!

Summer January 21, 2014

I have to say this is my favorite cookie recipe IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! I always at least double this recipe. I don’t like bigger chunks of coconut so I place the coconut in my food grinder so it’s finely ground. Also I wasn’t able to find coconut butter in my area so I did sub this with finely ground coconut flakes with slowly adding in coconut oil to a butter consistency and have made these many times with great results. ( bind nicely). One word YUM highly recommend this recipe.

Amy March 25, 2013

Love your bunny spoon! Adorable.

You are so sweet for creating a new 100% vegan recipe for your readers.

I am just wondering what was the green filling in the original egg nest recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Amy, Thanks for asking as I meant to mention this in the post. For the filling, I mixed 1/3 cup coconut cream (the cream from the top of a full-fat can of coconut milk), with 1-2 tsp maple syrup, and 1 tsp fresh lemon juice. I filled each well with this mixture. Then I mixed a bit of shredded coconut with natural green food colouring to make “grass” – add this on top of the coconut filling and top with jelly beans. hope this helps!

Kat March 25, 2013

Those jelly beans are so cute! I think I’ve seen them sold in bulk at my local organic food shop. I was trying to decide between jelly beans and gummy bears for my Easter candy treat. The gummy bears won.

I’m a sucker for macaroons and really want to give this recipe a try, but unfortunately can’t pony up the cash for almond flour. Do you know if spelt or coconut flour would work? I’d do the suggested oat flour but am out of oats after baking oatmeal cookies this weekend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Kat, Good question. I probably wouldn’t try spelt flour as I think it might make these delicate cookies a bit too dense? I could be wrong though – maybe you’d only need to add 1/2 cup. Coconut flour might work, although I’ve never used more than 1/4 cup of it at a time as I find it has a strong flavour. It would be an experiment for sure. If you have whole almonds you can try making almond meal at home by processing 1 cup in your blender on the highest speed until a fine meal forms. goodluck!

Kristen March 28, 2013

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they sell Almond Meal that is more affordable than most of the almond flour brands. A bag is $6.99 near me. Some blogs will say it isn’t interchangeable with Almond Flour, but I use it anyway and don’t see any poor results.

The Vegan Cookie Fairy March 25, 2013

I love the dedication you put into researching ingredients to make sure they’re 100% plant-based and cruelty-free. Thank you for that! Shame the nests didn’t work out, they looked great.

Love that bunny spoon :)

Joanna Clarke March 25, 2013

Hi Angela,

These look amazing! I am allergic to nuts … would you suggest a flour that is alternate to Almond? I am ok with gluten!

Thanks :)

Joanna

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Joanna, I would try oat flour – although I’d probably start with 3/4 cup and go from there. The batter should be very sticky. Goodluck!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013

These look amazing – they’re perfect for Passover, too. Macaroons are delicious no matter what, but the addition of the raspberry-chia seed filling sounds absolutely divine!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 25, 2013

Pardon while I pick my jaw up off the floor!! Those look soooooo good! I’d have to a seedless raspberry jam for mine because I freak out at a seedy texture but I can handle chia seeds since they get soft in there. I know…weirdo.

Alexis @ Hummusapien March 25, 2013

These are too perfect! The only thing I don’t have is the coconut butter :( I love using chia in jam! Fabulous :)

Somer March 25, 2013

I’m going to try a raw version of this in my dehydrator!!! Can’t wait! Looks beautiful Angela! xx

Paige March 25, 2013

I cannot wait to makes these and that raspberry chia jam looks amazing. Thank you for all the great inspiration on your blog. I’m not quite vegan but I sure am making much better choices now thanks to people like you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Thank you Paige, that means a lot to me!

Beth March 25, 2013

Beyond excited to make these. I’ve read SO much good stuff about Chia seeds.

Jamie @juicejam&joy March 25, 2013

These look delicious! Coconuts, jam and chia seeds – 3 of my favorite things!!

Kat W March 25, 2013

Unfortunetly, I had the same problem you did with the jellybeans. I only skimmed the ingredients in the store, and somehow missed the confectioner’s glaze. Thank goodness I double-checked the ingredients when I got home and saw the confectioner’s glaze before I ate any! So dissapointing :( Your nests look super cute, too! I am looking forward to making the thumbprints, though. Yummy :)

Marie March 25, 2013

After having made your blueberry chia seed jam I quickly made raspberry jam in the microwave this morning when my waffles needed a lift. I threw some frozen organic raspberries in the microwave w. agave syrup and then added chia seeds after. I microwaved it about 30 seconds and stirred, followed by 1 minute back in the microwave. They came out just as good as the jam I cooked on the stovetop. I think your chia seed jam idea is genius and I’m so glad it can be thrown together quickly.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

I wouldn’t have thought that would work, thanks for sharing!

Robin March 25, 2013

So I could use a different berry in the jam? Blueberries or strawberries or blackberries? I am tragically allergic raspberries.

Jenny March 25, 2013

They look absolutely fantastic. And your photography is brilliant :-)

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 25, 2013

These macaroons are perfect for Easter and look so tasty! I love when I can get a little nutrition from a cookie- best of both worlds! :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 25, 2013

I absolutely love the ingredient list in these and wouldn’t you know….I have some coconut butter that needs to be used! My kiddos are going to love these with the jelly beans. Another option is skinless almonds for the eggs….not as colorful, but way healthier!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

That’s a good idea…I hadn’t thought of that! Now I wish I put some on in these photos. ;)

Joanna March 25, 2013

I can’t wait to make these! Angela, maybe you have mentioned this before elsewhere in another post but where do you get your coconut butter? I have never seen it anywhere. I also live in southwestern Ontario. Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Joanna, I actually make it at home…much, much cheaper. I process 2-3 cups (I buy no-name brand of shredded unsweetened coconut in the yellow bag) in my 12-cup processor until it turns into a butter consistency. It takes about 10 minutes max to process into a butter, but usually 5 minutes for me.

Rachael March 25, 2013

These look incredible! Much better than with the jelly beans in my opinion :)

I also just wanted to let you know that I recently found out that “nautral flavors” as a listed ingredient usually means there is some GMO or MSG hidden inside! That’s why I love the chia seed jam so much more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Yea I’ve read some things about natural flavours recently too. It’s annoying that they can stick an “umbrella” term on something and don’t have to tell people what it really is.

marcy March 25, 2013

What is coconut butter? I have never heard of it before! I am dying to make these cookies, they look amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Marcy, Coconut butter is made from the flesh of coconut. I make it at home in my processor by processing 2-3 cups of unsweet. shredded coconut until a butter like consistency forms. I have a couple posts on this recipe on the blog if you search for it. enjoy!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 25, 2013

These look so fabulous!!

shelly March 25, 2013

I also do not know where to find coconut butter….need to find it because these look amazing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Shelly, I make it at home…see my reply a few comments above for how I make it. Goodlck!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan March 25, 2013

What a bummer when something you think is vegan isn’t, boo! But, I love these little babies!

Alexandra March 25, 2013

Yum, these look good!
Angela I as wondering if you had a bar recipe that is similar to ‘muslei bars’ or something along those lines. I’ve looked at a few and many are not vegan and high in sugar

Reba March 25, 2013

Is coconut butter the same as coconut oil? Can’t wait to make these! Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hi Reba, no it’s not – coconut butter is made fro the flesh of the coconut. You can buy it at the store (often in the natural/organic section of grocery stores) or you can make it for much cheaper at home. I use no name brand shredded unsweetened coconut, add 2-3 cups into the processor, and process it for 10 mins or until it turns to butter. Hope this helps!

Sabrina March 25, 2013

i am not vegan so I dont know all the rules but I know from Jame Oliver that Carnauba Wax is made from Lac Beetles and therefore an animal product. I thought I would just point that out incase it is an issue for vegans.

Sabs

Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 25, 2013

Wow- these look so good! I saw the picture go up on twitter and I’ve been excited for the recipe ever since.

Could I make my own almond flour by taking almonds and putting them in my food processor? Or is it better to buy almond flour from the store?

Sabrina March 25, 2013

never mind im confused! its safe :P

Veronica March 25, 2013

Hi Angela, Do you think it would be okay to use sweetened coconut flakes and leave out the maple syrup? Thank you!

Adriana March 25, 2013

Love this recipe! Can’t wait to make them!
How long do you think the jam can last?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

The jam should last a couple weeks in the fridge (in a sealed container), possibly longer. enjoy!

Maria Tadic March 25, 2013

I can’t believe they use bug secretions to make jelly beans…gross. What is the world coming to? bug secretions… barf! The cookies on the other hand look awesome. I’m impressed that chia seeds can thicken that well – didn’t know that!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 25, 2013

I love chia seeds and in the past few months (after years without them – I just sort of forgot about them) I have been back into them again. And these little thumbprints are adorable! Anything with coconut and raspberry is going to be good!

Kristina @Run and Assimilate March 25, 2013

These look amazing! Definitely pinning these.

Liz March 25, 2013

What brand of flaked coconut do you use? Or do you just buy it from a bulk bin?

Ashley Ladan March 25, 2013

First Let me say that I adore you and all that you do on here! This is my “go to” for new recipes!
I’m really excited about making this recipe as I am both yeast and sugar sensitive! I’m also trying to watch my caloric intake as I am on a weight loss journey. My questions is what is considered “1 serving” if you create 10 macaroons just as the recipe states?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hi Ashley, Yes the serving in the nutritional info is based on 1 cookie. :) enjoy

Katy @KatysKitchen March 25, 2013

Super Cute! Raspberry Jam has got to be one of my favourite flavours of jam, and it looks fantastic with the coconut. I’ve never actually had a macaroon before.

gracekelle at leangirlsclub March 25, 2013

I love chia seeds and I can’t believe there’s chia seed jam. I may have trouble not putting this on everything now :)

Madi March 25, 2013

Hi!! These look absolutely delicious. I am a huge fan of coconut and any kind of jam. I have a question about this recipe though – my fiancé is allergic to nuts, so almond flour is out. Would coconut flour be a good substitute, or do you recommend something else?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Madi, I just replied to this, but I think the PC ate my reply so let me try again. :) You can probably use oat flour. I haven’t tried it myself but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

Madi March 25, 2013

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Madi, I would suggest using oat flour. I haven’t tried it myself though. Goodluck!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 25, 2013

These are so cute Ange! As a kid we always got jelly beans in our Easter baskets, but my sister and I were more about the marshmallow peeps! As for your truly vegan jellybean search, sorry I can’t help you there. But I’ll take chia jam over lac bug secretions any day, thankyouverymuch!

Page 1 of 41234»