Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam (Vegan + GF)

macaroonthumbprintcookies-2990

I was so excited when I found this bag of organic jelly beans free of artificial colors and gelatin at the grocery store (Fortinos, for those of you in Ontario).

easterbirdnestmacaroon-2946

The ingredients list appeared to be vegan (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Colors Added (including Black Carrot Juice Concentrate, Turmeric, Annatto), Natural Flavors, Confectioner’s Glaze, Carnauba Wax, Organic Sunflower Oil), but after I did a little research on the company’s website I discovered the jelly beans are vegetarian but not vegan (they didn’t say why so I emailed them to inquire). It turns out confectioner’s glaze is the culprit. It’s a clear coating used for candy (and other non-edible products under the name “shellac”) and is derived from secretions of the female lac bug. After a quick Google search I came across Vegan Sweets jelly beans. If anyone knows of any other vegan jelly bean brands out there, feel free to give them a shout-out below!

easterbirdnestmacaroon-2956

Anyway, I discovered this little recipe snafu, of course, after making my lovely Easter macaroon nests. All the pictures were shot and edited and the post was written up ready to be published. Rather than giving you a recipe that wasn’t 100% vegan, I decided to go back to the drawing board and create something new. Thankfully, the answer came to me quickly – macaroon thumbprints. Since the “nests” already looked like the beginnings of a thumbprint cookie all I had to do was fill the well with jam. It just so happened that I had a fresh batch of chia seed jam waiting in the fridge. Last week, I made a batch using a bag of frozen raspberries. It worked like a charm!

macaroonthumbprintcookies-2983

Love, love, love!

Macaroon thumbprints with raspberry chia jam, it is. You know what, I think I like these even better than the original recipe. Much more my style, anyway.

macaroonthumbprintcookies-2986 macaroonthumbprintcookies-2987

The macaroon dough comes together so quickly. Then you simply shape the dough into nests (I just typed breasts – those work too!), fill with jam, and bake at a low temperature – 275F seemed to work nicely for me. Baking at a high heat can brown these babies long before they are cooked through so it’s best to take a slow and steady approach with the heat. I’m sure they would also work beautifully in the dehydrator if you have one.

Oh and one last thing I should mention. I used unsweetened flaked coconut as opposed to unsweetened shredded coconut (which I normally use in my recipes). I used the longer flakes because I thought it would yield a more rustic looking cookie, but if you only have the shredded stuff on hand that will work fine too.

macaroonthumbprintcookies-3004

Coconut Macaroon Thumbprints with Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, grain-free, soy-free

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 10 macaroons

For the macaroons:

1.5 cups unsweetened flaked coconut

1 cup almond flour (or almond meal)

scant 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup coconut butter, softened (no subs- this binds the cookies together)

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the chia seed jam (makes about 1 cup)

3 cups frozen raspberries

1/4 cup pure maple syrup, or to taste

2 tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. For the chia seed jam: Add frozen raspberries and maple syrup into a medium pot and bring to a simmer. After 5 minutes or so, stir in the chia seeds. Continue to cook down the mixture for about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Chill in the fridge for a couple hours to thicken it up even more.

2. Preheat oven to 275F and line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. If you have a non-stick mat, use it because it will help prevent browning on the bottom.

3. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, almond flour (or meal), and salt.

4. Melt the coconut butter over a very low heat. I suggest using a double boiler so it doesn’t burn.

5. Add the maple syrup, softened coconut butter, and vanilla into the dry mixture and stir very well until combined. The dough will be very wet and sticky, but this is normal.

6. Grab a couple tablespoons of dough at a time with your hands and drop it onto the baking sheet. With a wet finger, press a well into the middle and lightly shape the outsides if necessary. Repeat for the rest. Fill each well with jam. The macaroons don’t spread out so there’s no need to space them far apart.

7. Bake at 275F for 20 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 10-20 minutes (I baked for 40 mins. total – but you may need less depending on your oven) until the bottoms are lightly golden and browned, but not burned. If you have a hot oven, I suggest watching it closely or even reducing the heat to 250F. Place pan on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes and then transfer each macaroon onto the cooling rack until completely cool. The macaroons will be very soft at first, but will firm as they cool. I enjoy them the most chilled, straight from the fridge.

Notes: You can probably swap the maple syrup for another liquid sweetener of your choice. Also, if you can’t have almonds, you might be able to swap the almond flour for oat flour. I haven’t tried this yet myself though so be sure to report back if you try it out.

Nutritional Info

nobakemacaroonsveganchocolate-2652

For no-bake chocolate macaroons, be sure to see this post.

I hope you have a great start to your (hopefully short) work week!

1 Jess March 25, 2013

I LOVE this – because I actually printed your original macaroon recipe with the intention of making jelly bean nests!!!

2 Summer January 21, 2014

I have to say this is my favorite cookie recipe IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! I always at least double this recipe. I don’t like bigger chunks of coconut so I place the coconut in my food grinder so it’s finely ground. Also I wasn’t able to find coconut butter in my area so I did sub this with finely ground coconut flakes with slowly adding in coconut oil to a butter consistency and have made these many times with great results. ( bind nicely). One word YUM highly recommend this recipe.

3 Amy March 25, 2013

Love your bunny spoon! Adorable.

You are so sweet for creating a new 100% vegan recipe for your readers.

I am just wondering what was the green filling in the original egg nest recipe?

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Amy, Thanks for asking as I meant to mention this in the post. For the filling, I mixed 1/3 cup coconut cream (the cream from the top of a full-fat can of coconut milk), with 1-2 tsp maple syrup, and 1 tsp fresh lemon juice. I filled each well with this mixture. Then I mixed a bit of shredded coconut with natural green food colouring to make “grass” – add this on top of the coconut filling and top with jelly beans. hope this helps!

5 Kat March 25, 2013

Those jelly beans are so cute! I think I’ve seen them sold in bulk at my local organic food shop. I was trying to decide between jelly beans and gummy bears for my Easter candy treat. The gummy bears won.

I’m a sucker for macaroons and really want to give this recipe a try, but unfortunately can’t pony up the cash for almond flour. Do you know if spelt or coconut flour would work? I’d do the suggested oat flour but am out of oats after baking oatmeal cookies this weekend.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Kat, Good question. I probably wouldn’t try spelt flour as I think it might make these delicate cookies a bit too dense? I could be wrong though – maybe you’d only need to add 1/2 cup. Coconut flour might work, although I’ve never used more than 1/4 cup of it at a time as I find it has a strong flavour. It would be an experiment for sure. If you have whole almonds you can try making almond meal at home by processing 1 cup in your blender on the highest speed until a fine meal forms. goodluck!

7 Kristen March 28, 2013

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they sell Almond Meal that is more affordable than most of the almond flour brands. A bag is $6.99 near me. Some blogs will say it isn’t interchangeable with Almond Flour, but I use it anyway and don’t see any poor results.

8 The Vegan Cookie Fairy March 25, 2013

I love the dedication you put into researching ingredients to make sure they’re 100% plant-based and cruelty-free. Thank you for that! Shame the nests didn’t work out, they looked great.

Love that bunny spoon :)

9 Joanna Clarke March 25, 2013

Hi Angela,

These look amazing! I am allergic to nuts … would you suggest a flour that is alternate to Almond? I am ok with gluten!

Thanks :)

Joanna

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Joanna, I would try oat flour – although I’d probably start with 3/4 cup and go from there. The batter should be very sticky. Goodluck!

11 Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013

These look amazing – they’re perfect for Passover, too. Macaroons are delicious no matter what, but the addition of the raspberry-chia seed filling sounds absolutely divine!

12 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 25, 2013

Pardon while I pick my jaw up off the floor!! Those look soooooo good! I’d have to a seedless raspberry jam for mine because I freak out at a seedy texture but I can handle chia seeds since they get soft in there. I know…weirdo.

13 Alexis @ Hummusapien March 25, 2013

These are too perfect! The only thing I don’t have is the coconut butter :( I love using chia in jam! Fabulous :)

14 Somer March 25, 2013

I’m going to try a raw version of this in my dehydrator!!! Can’t wait! Looks beautiful Angela! xx

15 Paige March 25, 2013

I cannot wait to makes these and that raspberry chia jam looks amazing. Thank you for all the great inspiration on your blog. I’m not quite vegan but I sure am making much better choices now thanks to people like you!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Thank you Paige, that means a lot to me!

17 Beth March 25, 2013

Beyond excited to make these. I’ve read SO much good stuff about Chia seeds.

18 Jamie @juicejam&joy March 25, 2013

These look delicious! Coconuts, jam and chia seeds – 3 of my favorite things!!

19 Kat W March 25, 2013

Unfortunetly, I had the same problem you did with the jellybeans. I only skimmed the ingredients in the store, and somehow missed the confectioner’s glaze. Thank goodness I double-checked the ingredients when I got home and saw the confectioner’s glaze before I ate any! So dissapointing :( Your nests look super cute, too! I am looking forward to making the thumbprints, though. Yummy :)

20 Marie March 25, 2013

After having made your blueberry chia seed jam I quickly made raspberry jam in the microwave this morning when my waffles needed a lift. I threw some frozen organic raspberries in the microwave w. agave syrup and then added chia seeds after. I microwaved it about 30 seconds and stirred, followed by 1 minute back in the microwave. They came out just as good as the jam I cooked on the stovetop. I think your chia seed jam idea is genius and I’m so glad it can be thrown together quickly.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

I wouldn’t have thought that would work, thanks for sharing!

22 Robin March 25, 2013

So I could use a different berry in the jam? Blueberries or strawberries or blackberries? I am tragically allergic raspberries.

23 Jenny March 25, 2013

They look absolutely fantastic. And your photography is brilliant :-)

24 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 25, 2013

These macaroons are perfect for Easter and look so tasty! I love when I can get a little nutrition from a cookie- best of both worlds! :)

25 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 25, 2013

I absolutely love the ingredient list in these and wouldn’t you know….I have some coconut butter that needs to be used! My kiddos are going to love these with the jelly beans. Another option is skinless almonds for the eggs….not as colorful, but way healthier!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

That’s a good idea…I hadn’t thought of that! Now I wish I put some on in these photos. ;)

27 Joanna March 25, 2013

I can’t wait to make these! Angela, maybe you have mentioned this before elsewhere in another post but where do you get your coconut butter? I have never seen it anywhere. I also live in southwestern Ontario. Thanks :)

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Joanna, I actually make it at home…much, much cheaper. I process 2-3 cups (I buy no-name brand of shredded unsweetened coconut in the yellow bag) in my 12-cup processor until it turns into a butter consistency. It takes about 10 minutes max to process into a butter, but usually 5 minutes for me.

29 Rachael March 25, 2013

These look incredible! Much better than with the jelly beans in my opinion :)

I also just wanted to let you know that I recently found out that “nautral flavors” as a listed ingredient usually means there is some GMO or MSG hidden inside! That’s why I love the chia seed jam so much more!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Yea I’ve read some things about natural flavours recently too. It’s annoying that they can stick an “umbrella” term on something and don’t have to tell people what it really is.

31 marcy March 25, 2013

What is coconut butter? I have never heard of it before! I am dying to make these cookies, they look amazing!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hi Marcy, Coconut butter is made from the flesh of coconut. I make it at home in my processor by processing 2-3 cups of unsweet. shredded coconut until a butter like consistency forms. I have a couple posts on this recipe on the blog if you search for it. enjoy!

33 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 25, 2013

These look so fabulous!!

34 shelly March 25, 2013

I also do not know where to find coconut butter….need to find it because these look amazing!!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2013

Hey Shelly, I make it at home…see my reply a few comments above for how I make it. Goodlck!

36 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan March 25, 2013

What a bummer when something you think is vegan isn’t, boo! But, I love these little babies!

37 Alexandra March 25, 2013

Yum, these look good!
Angela I as wondering if you had a bar recipe that is similar to ‘muslei bars’ or something along those lines. I’ve looked at a few and many are not vegan and high in sugar

38 Reba March 25, 2013

Is coconut butter the same as coconut oil? Can’t wait to make these! Thanks :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hi Reba, no it’s not – coconut butter is made fro the flesh of the coconut. You can buy it at the store (often in the natural/organic section of grocery stores) or you can make it for much cheaper at home. I use no name brand shredded unsweetened coconut, add 2-3 cups into the processor, and process it for 10 mins or until it turns to butter. Hope this helps!

40 Sabrina March 25, 2013

i am not vegan so I dont know all the rules but I know from Jame Oliver that Carnauba Wax is made from Lac Beetles and therefore an animal product. I thought I would just point that out incase it is an issue for vegans.

Sabs

41 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 25, 2013

Wow- these look so good! I saw the picture go up on twitter and I’ve been excited for the recipe ever since.

Could I make my own almond flour by taking almonds and putting them in my food processor? Or is it better to buy almond flour from the store?

42 Sabrina March 25, 2013

never mind im confused! its safe :P

43 Veronica March 25, 2013

Hi Angela, Do you think it would be okay to use sweetened coconut flakes and leave out the maple syrup? Thank you!

44 Adriana March 25, 2013

Love this recipe! Can’t wait to make them!
How long do you think the jam can last?

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

The jam should last a couple weeks in the fridge (in a sealed container), possibly longer. enjoy!

46 Maria Tadic March 25, 2013

I can’t believe they use bug secretions to make jelly beans…gross. What is the world coming to? bug secretions… barf! The cookies on the other hand look awesome. I’m impressed that chia seeds can thicken that well – didn’t know that!

47 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 25, 2013

I love chia seeds and in the past few months (after years without them – I just sort of forgot about them) I have been back into them again. And these little thumbprints are adorable! Anything with coconut and raspberry is going to be good!

48 Kristina @Run and Assimilate March 25, 2013

These look amazing! Definitely pinning these.

49 Liz March 25, 2013

What brand of flaked coconut do you use? Or do you just buy it from a bulk bin?

50 Ashley Ladan March 25, 2013

First Let me say that I adore you and all that you do on here! This is my “go to” for new recipes!
I’m really excited about making this recipe as I am both yeast and sugar sensitive! I’m also trying to watch my caloric intake as I am on a weight loss journey. My questions is what is considered “1 serving” if you create 10 macaroons just as the recipe states?

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hi Ashley, Yes the serving in the nutritional info is based on 1 cookie. :) enjoy

52 Katy @KatysKitchen March 25, 2013

Super Cute! Raspberry Jam has got to be one of my favourite flavours of jam, and it looks fantastic with the coconut. I’ve never actually had a macaroon before.

53 gracekelle at leangirlsclub March 25, 2013

I love chia seeds and I can’t believe there’s chia seed jam. I may have trouble not putting this on everything now :)

54 Madi March 25, 2013

Hi!! These look absolutely delicious. I am a huge fan of coconut and any kind of jam. I have a question about this recipe though – my fiancé is allergic to nuts, so almond flour is out. Would coconut flour be a good substitute, or do you recommend something else?

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Madi, I just replied to this, but I think the PC ate my reply so let me try again. :) You can probably use oat flour. I haven’t tried it myself but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

56 Madi March 25, 2013

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Madi, I would suggest using oat flour. I haven’t tried it myself though. Goodluck!

58 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 25, 2013

These are so cute Ange! As a kid we always got jelly beans in our Easter baskets, but my sister and I were more about the marshmallow peeps! As for your truly vegan jellybean search, sorry I can’t help you there. But I’ll take chia jam over lac bug secretions any day, thankyouverymuch!

59 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 25, 2013

Love everything in this recipe, especially coconut!

60 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} March 25, 2013

Raspberry jam is my favorite! These look absolutely delicious and very easy to make, thanks for another fantastic recipe!

61 Mandy March 25, 2013

Would these work at all being made smaller? They look like huge cookies since the recipe only makes 10, so I’d like to try making them a bit smaller (ie 12-15 cookies instead of 10), but I’m worried they won’t hold together.

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

I can’t see why that wouldn’t work. Good luck :)

63 Sami March 25, 2013

I make jelly bean nests with the grandkids every Easter and love your recipe Thanks for a recipe using maple syrup. We live in Vermont and it’s my sweetener of choice!

64 Virginia { The Recipe For Happiness} March 25, 2013

This looks so yummy! I’ve been waiting for so long for you to come up with a jammrecipe that doesn’t require tons of sugar in it! Since I came across your Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares. I’ll definitely try the jam recipe soon.

65 Tieghan March 25, 2013

Chia seeds are the best! I love these cookies! I want to make them now!

66 Grace March 26, 2013

Instead of coconut butter, can I use coconut oil?

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

I have been wondering that myself, but I didn’t get around to trying it out yet. I’m really not sure to be honest – I would like to think they might, but it’s really anyone’s guess when it comes to baking. Please let me know if you do try it.

68 marissa @ the boot March 26, 2013

i’m a new reader to your beautiful blog and i just have to say, i love it! the little details you provide with the recipes are great and this is one that i’m definitely going to make! i’m a coconut-aholic. :)

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Thank you Marissa, I so appreciate that! enjoy

70 Catherine March 26, 2013

This looks great, Angela! I also love raspberry jam. When I saw the recipe I decided to try it at once. I’m still licking my lips. :)

71 Emily March 26, 2013

Hi Angela, I’d never even heard of coconut butter before today but I just made some – amazing! I didn’t think it was going to work but eight minutes (and a lot of scraping down the sides of my blender) later I am the proud maker of home made coconut butter! About to make these lovely looking macaroons. Thanks.

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Emily, I’m so happy it worked out for you :) Sometimes it can be finicky.

73 Ally @ Om Nom Ally March 26, 2013

We sell those jellybeans at my work, and we’ve had quite a few complaints about the shellac ingredient. Really, why remove the gelatin if you’re going to use shellac anyway? Silly confectionary company!
That being said, I don’t think these yummy macaroon thumbprints needed the lolly sweetness anyway – they look fabulous, and with the coconut and jam filling I bet they are sweet enough :D Happy Easter!

74 Annie March 26, 2013

These look amazing!
Also, I appreciate you presenting a new recipe that’s 100% vegan without using phrases like “I suck” or “I failed” – I’ve found that a lot of vegans think somehow they’ve screwed everything up when they find out a purchase they made wasn’t vegan. I don’t think this is failure (or anything negative) at all! It’s good to be aware, switch ingredients, and move on, assured in your new knowledge, rather than judging yourself! Thanks for providing a good example of this!

75 Pat March 26, 2013

This looks totally delicious and the preparation is really exquisite. It is the perfect treat that can be prepared in parties. I love your idea and I really like to try the raspberry flavor on the macaroons.

76 Katie March 26, 2013

Love your recipe for the chia jam! I’ve made a cookie like this before and just stirred chia seeds into store-bought jam. I love how chia can bump up the nutrition and make a sweet healthier.

77 Aurelie March 26, 2013

Chia jam recipes keep popping everywhere, I really need to try it!
Your nests looked so cute!

78 Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama March 26, 2013

Beautiful! And now I am craving macaroons!

79 Alice March 26, 2013

You have totally busted my bubble about Jelly Beans…I’m stuned.

80 Nutmeg Nanny March 26, 2013

Oh my, these are beautiful I’m enjoying the rustic look :) the chia seed jam sounds so yummy!

81 Liz March 26, 2013

These look so bright and delicious! My fiance loves jelly beans and I immediately thought of him when I saw the ones above. I have been wanting to make a berry filling for a berry bar, similar to the ones at Whole Foods, the raspberry jam gives me some ideas…thanks for sharing all your beautiful work

82 Tanya @ playful and hungry March 26, 2013

Those thumbprints look great!

83 Michelle March 26, 2013

Angela,

These cookies look amazing! I have a nut sensitivity though. Coconut is fine, but do you have any thoughts on what might work as a sub for the almonds? Oat flour?

Thanks!

Michelle

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Yes that should work!

85 Leon March 26, 2013

They look great! Any idea if i could use the same amount of desiccated coconut instead of shredded? (unfortunately they don’t sell shredded variety here. and turns out the packages i bought from a health food store on a trip to Canada all contain sulphite! oh well, i should have checked the label first)

86 Colleen March 26, 2013

Secretions from a bug on my jellybeans; that’s so gross. Thank you for sharing the info. The cookies look delcious!

87 Sara March 26, 2013

Confectioner’s glaze? I would have never thought that would be a non-vegan ingredient. I always knew to look out for gelatin but glaze?

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Same here – it was the first time I think I have ever come across it on a label…probably because I haven’t bought candy in a few years. hah

89 Kelly @ Nosh And Nourish March 26, 2013

I just got my first “Silpat” baking sheet. I can’t wait to use it!! Sounds like these macaroons would be perfect for it :)

90 {Moni} @ Moni Meals March 26, 2013

I love this perfect recipe and for EASTER too. I like what you did with the chia seeds too! These are so adorable and I coul deat them all I think. :)

91 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 26, 2013

For once I have almost all the ingredients on hand! I had forgotten about your chia seed jam recipe but I have wanted to make it for so long! Thanks for the reminder! This is a great way to put my massive bag of flaked coconut to use!

92 Andrea @ Vibrant Wellness Journal March 26, 2013

oh holy yums. I love the idea of adding chia to raspberries for a fresh jam!

93 Kristina March 26, 2013

I’d like to opt out of the maple syrup, and use stevia instead. Is this going to pose an issue with the consistency of the dough, and if so, is there a fruit or non-sugar alternative ingredient that I can add? Thanks!

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2013

Hey Kristina, I’m sorry but I’m not sure. It’s so hard to tell with baking as changes can alter the recipe a lot. Let us know if you try something and how it goes.

95 Kristina March 29, 2013

Hey there! So I finally got to test out the recipe. I substituted about the equivalent amount of fresh coconut water for the maple syrup (I’m an eye-baller) in the dough, added enough stevia drops to taste (~40), and baked the cookies for about 30 minutes. They came out nicely browned on the bottom, and just a touch of gold on top, with a nice chewiness in the middle.

I was worried they’d be too dry, but no such thing! Next time though, I’d add more coconut manna. I doubled the recipe to get 20 cookies, so instead of 1/2 cup, I might use a little under 3/4 cup of butter to make the dough a little stickier. Also, I used fresh coconut water in the jam instead of syrup with a dash of canned coconut milk, and that came out nicely as well. I think about 15 drops of stevia for a double recipe.

Thank you!

96 suzanne March 26, 2013

You are so good with that stuff – what an improvisor! I have steered clear of jelly beans (though I miss the chewy sugar rush!) – will need to read comments to see if there are any good ones. My son watched videos on what is in things like gum, twizzlers etc – SCARY!

97 Kim Beaulieu March 26, 2013

I’m speechless, and that never happens. Absolutely beautiful.

98 GiGi Eats Celebrities March 27, 2013

How cute! And these are so perfect for the upcoming holiday – Easter! :)

99 Bruna @ morgbu.com March 27, 2013

making those this week, I will blog about it and sure give you all the credit ;) thanks for this awesome idea

100 Jacquie March 27, 2013

Why.why,do companies go through the loops of making’good junk food if they are going to cover it in bug secretions!!!(how do they get that and who thought of that anyhow)I to live on that slippery slope of nostalgia??and impulse buy something only to have buyers remorse.sigh.It can be hard with kids.Your right this recipe is more your style:)Me and the little ones will tackle this!!!Thanks.

101 Jacquie March 27, 2013

The “good” should have quotations!:)

102 McKel | Nutrition Stripped March 27, 2013

Thumbprint cookies are my absolute favorite cookie! I’ve tried all your recipes for them and this one seems even more delicious! Thanks for the inspiration and recipe Angela :)

103 Marisa March 27, 2013

Hi Angela,
How long would you figure chia jam lasts in the fridge? It seems like there isn’t enough sugar to preserve it.

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2013

Ive had it last at least two weeks, possibly longer.

105 Renee March 27, 2013

I made these twice following ur directions, and both times they over browned on me. I am thinking I will have to cut the bake time in half to get them to look like urs.I have to say I loved them anyway!!!

106 Kathy March 27, 2013

Hi Angela. The cookies look exceptionally yummy. I’m almost afraid to try them though. I eat chia seeds almost every day. Mostly I put them in my cereal in the mornings, with no problem. However, of late, I’ve been trying to incorporate more in my food as they are so good for you. A few weeks ago I made your chocolate chia pudding and then I put some in some smoothies I made and I had a really adverse reaction. I was concerned I was allergic because of the major severe stomach pains I had. It felt like I had crammed a weeks worth of food in my stomach and I thought I was literally dying. The pain was so unbearable. When the same reaction occurred after the smoothies, I was concerned about being allergic. I researched but didn’t have any other symptoms that would indicate an allergy. Wondering if you had any type of reaction to eating Chia? I do know they have a 25% fiber content, so I am thinking it might have been simply too much bulk at one time. The pains lasted for several hours and even though I felt hungry a while later, I had no desire to eat. I love eating chia, but very concerned about incorporating more than a few teaspoons at a time in my food.

107 Lisa @ vitadventure.wordpress.com March 27, 2013

This looks absolutely DIVINE and so spring-like! Can’t wait to try them out!

108 Sarah March 27, 2013

I have to make these for Easter!! So cute.

109 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 27, 2013

What a cute recipe for Easter! I can’t wait to try it. I’ve been meaning to make your chia jam so this is yet another reason to do so asap!

110 swati March 27, 2013

Thanks for this healthy recipe. Chia seed jam is delicious and good for health.

111 Katrin - therawfoodsisters.com March 28, 2013

Looks delicious! Have to give the chia seeds jam a go. Love your posts!! Hugs, Katrin

112 Brieanna @ Going Brienanas March 28, 2013

These look amazing!!! Coconut is one of my favorite dessert ingredients and this is such a great twist on the old recipe.

113 Jessica | Kettler Cuisine March 28, 2013

These look amazing! I am going to make these for my Mom’s birthday this weekend, who loves sweets, but is gluten-free. Do you think the jam would work with other berries? Like frozen mixed berries or just blueberries? What about frozen cherries?

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2013

It works great with blueberries too – It would work with mixed berries as well, but you might have to give it a quick whirl in the processor after cooking. I recently made a strawberry chia jam (which was fantastic!!!) but the strawberries didn’t break down fully so I had to process it after cooking. Not a big deal though. Also remember that it thickens up while chilling in the fridge for a few hours. goodluck!

115 Jessica | Kettler Cuisine March 28, 2013

Thank you!! I will try a few versions and see how it turns out. Your blog gives me so much inspiration for my own blog, which I have kept going for almost a year now. So fun cooking and sharing!! I enjoy your recipes and your posts!!

116 Melissa March 29, 2013

I used spelt flour and it worked fine . :)

117 Emily March 29, 2013

I have to say, as a non-vegan, I’d much prefer that the food dye in the jelly beans comes from something natural (the body of an insect) rather than a chemical food dye like red #40. I find chemical food dyes much more disgusting than insects, which humans have been eating for centuries.

118 Annette March 30, 2013

Thanks for this recipe. These are fantastic! Ended up w extra jam which is great multipurpose delish!

119 Vegan Radhika Sarohia March 30, 2013

Omg these look so amazing!!! Seriously delectable
I am dying to have some
And they’re low-carb too! Because of the almond flour in place of more carbalicious flours or whatnot
Damn I need to purchase some chia seed asap
Thanks for the lovely pictures

120 Vegan Radhika Sarohia March 30, 2013

I wonder if I could make these on the stove-top…I sometimes make tiny (very flat) low-carb vegan cookies on the stove-top which seem to come out okay so far hehe

121 Melissa March 30, 2013

Quick note for those of you wondering about the coconut butter/ oil difference. i made a batch with 1/4 cup coconut OIL and they came out delicious after a little repair… After the first 20 minutes I was shocked to see that they all spread (perhaps it was the amount of oil?)! I took the pan out and gently shaped them back to the little nests they were supposed to be (*i baked empty nests- no jam). Another 20ish minutes and a a quick rest in the pan, they firmed up enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
So delicious! I can’t wait to decorate them with my little girl in the morning for Easter.
Thank you for the great recipe!

122 Sarah March 31, 2013

I didn’t realize that this recipe only made 10 cookies! I guess I won’t be bringing them to Easter lunch and instead my hubby and I can enjoy them all to ourselves! I was wondering do you think the same reverie could work with only using a tablespoon of batter per cookie, or would they be too small? I just made these and the cookies are huge, plus I only used about half the jam.

123 Mary K. Allen March 31, 2013

I used real coconut flakes since I am still in the Philippines. This is abundant here. The sea salt is also abundant and is considerable better than table salt my grandmother use to use. I really think the Chia Seed Jam made the difference for a twist on the taste. I also tried Mango, which turned out to be a favorite with my family.

124 Dawn @ Florida Coastal Cooking April 1, 2013

Hi Angela!

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them with mila!

Dawn

125 Kim April 1, 2013

Angela,
I made this jam to use in a different recipe….but that recipe never got made!
My boyfriend and I sat on the couch with two spoons and ate the jam while it was still warm until we felt sick!
What was leftover I’ve been using in my oatmeal, on toast, and pretty much anything I can sneak it into.
You’ve created a monster. A monster with sticky raspberry jam all over her face :)

126 Maria April 2, 2013

These look lovely. I wish I came across this post before Easter. Ah well!

Raspberry is not my favourite fruit as the seeds get stuck in my teeth. I think I will try this with mango purée as this combines well with anything coconut.

Thanks for posting this recipe.

127 martha April 3, 2013

These look incredible….definitely going to give the chia jam a go this weekend, great idea.
I have a question- i notice you use maple syrup in your recipes…I am trying to use very low GI sweeteners-do you think agave syrup would work ok as a substitute, or is maple syrup the way forward?? Thanks

128 Julia April 3, 2013

Made them! Everybody loved them, but next time I’ll take less maple syrup. They came out super, super sweet :D

129 heather April 3, 2013

NON-VEGAN substitution:
the coconut butter did not happen! added 2 egg whites instead and worked very well. also did not have coconut cream, so i blended some honey, spinach and lemon juice to mix with shredded coconut to make the “grass”… worked very well (though the jelly beans had a tricky time staying put).

130 Michelle April 3, 2013

“…secretions of the female lac bug…” !!!! How on earth do people ever work out that such a thing could be utilised – for anything!!!! So weird.

131 Liz April 4, 2013

I’m not crazy about the coconut, but he chia jam looks yummy. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

132 Desiree April 5, 2013

I just made these and they are incredible! I ran out of vanilla extract in the middle of pouring so I had to mix in about 1/2 tsp of almond extract…..holy smoking delicious! Thank you for a great recipe!

133 Bridget April 6, 2013

Everyone is talking about the beans and jam,
has anyone made the cookies ? Mine came out not to good they stock to the wax paper help .

134 Lola April 6, 2013

Just spent my Saturday night, drinking wine and making macaroons. Absolutely delicious!
They definitely satisfied my sweet tooth

xo

135 Bailey April 7, 2013

Can I use coconut oil instead of butter? I would hate to buy the butter when I could just use the oil that I already have. Suggestions?

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2013

Nope, they don’t turn out with coconut oil :( You can make your own coconut butter at home very easily (search my blog for the post!)

137 Pamela April 8, 2013

Looks awesome!
Ever tried the jam with strawberries?

138 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013

Yes I have – it’s so good! The strawberries don’t break down like the other berries though so I had to give them a quick process in my processor to smooth it out.

139 Kate Montana April 8, 2013

I made these last night and they were SOOOO good!!! I didn’t have any maple syrup so I subbed date paste and I think it worked pretty well.

140 Gracie April 9, 2013

I love these cookies! Made them slightly different though. I did chocolate chips mixed in and whole wheat flour instead of almond meal. It seems like my version would do well as a bar.

141 Kristen April 9, 2013

Angela! These are amazing, I have made them twice already! Thank you! Do I have your permission to share this recipe on a friend’s blog as long as we give credit and link them to your blog?

142 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2013

Hey Kristen! So glad you enjoyed them – thanks for letting me know!
I prefer my recipes are not reposted, but feel free to link to the original post. Unless of course you’ve made changes to the recipe then by all means feel free to post your adaptation.

143 Kristen April 10, 2013

Ok great! Thanks Angela!

144 Isabelle April 10, 2013

Ooooh Surf Sweet Jelly beans are my favourite candy. I am not vegan nor vegetarian but cannot have pork and it’s not easy to find gelatin free candy. When they are not packed with flavourings and colorants, it’s even better! I get mine from Nature’s Emporium in Newmarket.
And thank you for the recipe. Can’t wait to try this one!

145 Isabelle April 16, 2013

Tried those last weekend and they were a hit with everyone!!
Def. one to keep!
(Used the little bit of jam left on oatmeal the following morning. Yummy)
Thanks Angela

146 Julia April 29, 2013

These look delightful! What is the serving size?

147 Autumn May 12, 2013

I just made thesentoday, but subbed frozen blueberries for the raspberries & it worked out great! Such a great treat. Thanks for sharing! :)

148 jay May 24, 2013

These are perfect. My partner’s sis is GF so it’s always super hard to cook for her.
I used olive oil butter instead of coconut

149 Megan Thomas May 26, 2013

These look great! I am going to try these soon!

150 Martina Bartonickova July 11, 2013

Hi Angela, I am from Czech republic and i am a big fun of your blog and of your recipes..You are a big inspiration..thank you
Angela, i would like to ask – (because i just made the chia seed jam – how long it can last? i mean, can i store it for few months as a normal jam??)
And my second question – i really love your pictures (and i also love taking pictures myself and lately i try to take pictures of the food also) – what lens (do you normally use for shooting the food?)

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2013

Hey Martina, The chia seed jam should last in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Although we tend to eat it all before then!
My camera info is on my FAQ page: http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/#blogfaq hope this helps!

152 sherice@foodieluvsfitness July 16, 2013

I recently made Raspberry Chia jam.. it was delicious but I didn’t even think of adding vanilla… WTH is wrong with me? I put a dollop into my vanilla coconut milk yogurt and BOOM… Heaven!!

153 Zazie July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I needed an easy recipe for a “healthy” bake sale we had at work and I got so many compliments on them. I devoured one before donating them and it was so hard not to eat another. They are so tasty and I love that they are not greasy. I had left over jam and spread that on a rice cake with almond butter as a snack – wow, that jam is good :) Thanks!

154 Haley August 6, 2013

Best homemade macaroon experience I’ve had Yet! I just decided to make these today. Had no idea what coconut butter was… I figured it out, just blended my shredded coconut. I love how they seemed fancy but they were so simple! Simple is one of my favorite food groups, so Thank You!! Absolutely scrumptious!

155 larissa November 9, 2013

I just made these and they are delicious!!! this is my first time making macaroons, and the first time using coconut butter. yum, yum, yum. thanks a bunch!

156 Krista January 27, 2014

These are unreal.

157 Natalie March 2, 2014

Can I just say that these are my all time favorite cookies I have EVER made. I tried this recipe over a year ago and if it didn’t require things like coconut butter, I would make them all the time!!!! I love your blog and need your cookbook!
superfoodlife.blogspot.com is my blog, focuses on healthy eats :)

158 Tania March 30, 2014

I finally got around to making these (a year later). They are delicious!! I did use melted coconut oil in place of the butter and they came out very soft and chewy — my husband and 5 year old son (and me!) loved them. I will try making my own coconut butter per your suggestion, but I love oil version too. I’ll be serving these as my Easter dessert this year.
Thank you!

159 Monisha July 9, 2014

Some helpful young boy and his mom told me about yr bk.i met them at bulk barn as I was going through the organic section wanting to make jam for my gr.children .i asked him about guar gum and he said it was just a thickener and he doesn’t use it in any of hits cooking.that’s when he mentioned yr bk to me.ofcourse I went on yr web site as soon as I got home and I am going to try the rasberry chia jam.can I use ripe pairs and coconut sugar instead of the maple syrup?i am diabetic so I like to make these low glycemic treats.pl let me know, thks

160 Jodie October 15, 2014

Is the temperature really 275? Or is that a misprint?

161 Jodie October 15, 2014

Sorry, didn’t read everything you wrote, just skipped to the recipe :)

162 Jodie October 15, 2014

I just made these. I used coconut flour (only half a cup) in place of the almond flour as I refuse to buy yet another ingredient when it feels like I’ve purchased every one under the sun already :) I also used only 6 tbsp of maple syrup and then 2 tbsp of honey as I thought it might bind better. The “dough” was not wet at all, perhaps due to the coconut flour as I’ve read it can absorb liquids very well. I was able to shape my “dough” into mini “cups”. I filled some with blackberry chia jam and some with chocolate chips. I ate one but it was too hot, lol. I’ll have to let them cool. My fingers are crossed for a new recipe to add to my collection!

163 Sara December 22, 2014

These don’t hold together at all. I can’t even form cookies, they just fall apart. Sad to waste 1/4 cup of my precious maple syrup and coconut butter.

164 Angelina December 30, 2014

Hi Angela,
Can I use fresh raspberries instead of the frozen one? I’m going ti make this fab recipe asap! ❤️

165 Ashleigh January 30, 2015

Hi Angela!

I love your blog so much and recently purchased your book too! I’ve spread my love for your blog at the office and now, my coworkers and I love sharing which recipe we’ve tried recently!

Just wondering how long you think this jam will keep if you freeze it? I was hoping to make a big batch and freeze it for later use.. what do you think?

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes! :)

166 Sherry February 15, 2015

Angela,

How long will the chia seed jam last in the fridge? I’m thinking about having that with my toast in the mornings and on almond butter sandwiches!

Thanks!
Sherry

167 Denise February 24, 2015

Haha, I wish I had read your post first, I posted directly under you and asked almost the exact same thing – so funny, hopefully we get an answer :)

168 Denise February 24, 2015

Hi there, just happened upon this site, well done! Just wondering how long the Raspberry Chia jam will last in the fridge? I would like to use it for toast too :)

169 Heidi June 17, 2015

I just made these for my Dad for Father’s Day. His favorite cookie is a coconut Macaroon. I didn’t expect much and have to say I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Such simple ingredients worked so well together. They even have that comforting sticky feeling that macaroons are known for. It’s a quick and easy recipe to make (other than waiting for them to bake). I did them in mounds without jam. For my kids I think I’ll drizzle a little chocolate sauce on the top.

I had never tried to melt coconut butter before. I saw your note about not getting it too hot or it would burn… and so it did. I then softened it in a makeshift double boiler. Does it ever really melt.

A+++ and thanks again!

170 JoAnn September 22, 2015

Can this raspberry jam be made in bulk and canned? With a large family, I try to make everything in bulk. It seems like it would be an excellent gift idea too.

171 Jessica November 16, 2015

We can’t have maple syrup or any sweetener except Stevia… do you think it can be modified at all??? Thanks

172 ella December 4, 2015

Late to the discussion but hope someone can answer:
do you store these in the fridge? I’d like to make a day or two before …
also, has anyone made them without the jam, just straight macaroons?
and, I might prefer to use apricot “jam”– dried apricots blended with a bit of water — instead. Would it be alright in the oven?

173 carol February 9, 2016

I just made these and they tasted great but I had a problem with them holding together so I added extra coconut butter. They were still not sticky enough so where did I go wrong?
Help!! Would really like to make them again.

174 carol February 10, 2016

I realized what I did differently that made my cookie dough not sticky…I used shredded coconut. So in actuality I was using more coconut 😯. It also yielded 22 cookies. So I guess I will use more coconut butter if I use shredded coconut again.