Roasted Buddha Bowl

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 5, 2013

buddha bowl-2460

It’s now March and after a few months of winter it appears I’m going crazy. Why? Well, you can now add roasted cauliflower to my list of strange-but-true late winter food cravings. Weird, I know. Cauliflower has never been high on my list of comfort food vegetables, but for some reason I just couldn’t get the idea of a creamy roasted cauliflower recipe out of my mind. So I made a creamy cashew-based lemon tahini sauce and mixed it with roasted chickpeas, cauliflower, and broccoli. Doesn’t that just sound dreamy?

I may have just lost half of you, but hear me out; if you’ve never been a fan of cauliflower (or broccoli) this just might be the recipe that changes your mind. It turned my husband into a believer and I hope it does for you too.

broccolicauliflower-2378 broccolicauliflower-2420broccolicauliflower-2423 broccolicauliflower-2429

To make this simple dish a meal, I roasted some chickpeas to go along with it. The roasted chickpeas add a nice crunch to this mix and of course pair so well with the creamy sauce. Eric has recently discovered that the texture of roasted chickpeas is so much better than unroasted. So guess what we’ve been doing a lot lately? Yup, roasting chickpeas. This dish would also be wonderful served over a bed of grains if you are feeling so inclined. I planned on serving this with millet, proceeded to forget about it on the stove, and scorched the heck out of it. Figures.

The temperature is slowly climbing here in Southern Ontario and like many of you, we’re anxiously awaiting spring’s arrival. In the meantime, I’ll be celebrating “springing forward” on March 10th which will mean daylight until just after 7pm. Major progress!!

buddha bowl-2435

4.8 from 8 reviews

Roasted Buddha Bowl

Vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

If you think you’re not a fan of cauliflower or broccoli, this might just be the recipe that changes your mind. Roasted to perfection and served with an addictive (seriously, addictive) cashew-based garlic lemon tahini sauce, these veggies get downright dreamy. The addition of roasted chickpeas boosts the dish to a full-blown meal, and lends it a delightful crunch, too. I love serving it on a bed of warm quinoa. Pro tip: The dressing recipe makes only half a cup (125 mL), so if you’re someone who likes a lot of dressing with your bowls (or even a versatile dressing for workweek lunches!), I recommend doubling it.

Yield
3 to 4 servings
Soak time
8 hours
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

For the bowl:
  • 1 large head broccoli, chopped (5 to 6 cups/325g to 390g)
  • 1 large head cauliflower, chopped (5 to 6 cups/400g to 480g)
  • 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (20 mL) olive oil
  • Fine sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Cooked grains (such as quinoa) (optional)
For the dressing:
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) tahini
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast
  • 6 tablespoons (90 mL) water, or more if needed

Directions:

1. Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight or for at least 8 hours. For a quick-soak method, pour boiling water over the cashews and let sit in the bowl for at least 45 minutes. Drain.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Place the chopped broccoli and cauliflower onto one baking sheet. (If it doesn’t all fit on one, you can add some onto the second sheet.) Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and toss until coated. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place into the oven.
  4. Place a tea towel on the counter and spread out the drained chickpeas. Fold the sides of the towel over the chickpeas to cover, and roll the chickpeas around until dry. Transfer chickpeas onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and roll around the chickpeas with your hands until they are fully coated. Sprinkle with salt and place into the oven.
  5. Roast the broccoli, cauliflower, and chickpeas for 25 to 30 minutes, until the broccoli and cauliflower are lightly browned and the chickpeas are golden. (At the halfway mark you can give the chickpea pan a gentle shake to roll them around in the pan.)
  6. Meanwhile, add all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend on high speed until smooth. If you are cooking grains, such as quinoa, cook them now, too.
  7. Plate the cooked grains (if using), and top with the roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and chickpeas. Drizzle on a generous amount of dressing. Season with salt and pepper, and any desired spices (I like to add smoked paprika and/or cayenne pepper, too).
  8. If you have leftover dressing, it will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container. The dressing will thicken as it sits (especially when chilled), so you can add more water to thin out as necessary, or simply allow it to come to room temperature before serving. Any leftover grains, chickpeas, and veggies will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a few days. I tend to reheat them in a skillet with some oil over medium heat.

Tips:

Need a nut-free dressing? Try this Lemon Tahini dressing on for size.

buddha bowl-2443

The first time I made this dish I was so hungry (and the dish was so tasty!) I ate almost the entire dish straight from the mixing bowl with a fork. My camera wasn’t quick enough for me this time! That’s when I came up with the name Buddha Bowl because I was rocking a Buhhda-like belly the rest of the day. Note to self: if you eat an entire head of cauliflower in one sitting you will pay the consequences. Carry on.

[email protected] March 5, 2013 at 9:57 am

I hated cauliflower until I discovered the joys of eating it as cauliflower couscous and also roasting it! Now it’s on of my favs especially with chickpeas!

Tanya @ playful and hungry March 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

It’s amazing how different cauliflower tastes when it’s roasted! =)

Zugey March 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

Mmm, this looks delicious. I will definitely be making this for dinner tonight as I have all the ingredients on hand. Thank you Angela! <3

Stephanie @ Snacking on Sunshine March 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

Oh this looks incredible! Anything with cauliflower is a win for me, but I love how rich and complex it gets when you roast it. Bookmarked! X

jenny March 5, 2013 at 10:03 am

Oh this looks divine. Roasted cauliflower and roasted chickpeas? You had me at hellol

Moi Contre La Vie March 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh swoon! This looks AMAZING. I’m totally starving just looking at these pictures. Can’t wait to make this bowl!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan March 5, 2013 at 10:07 am

This looks perfect for our impending snow today, the sauce is looking all kinds of great!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

I have the opposite problem – love cauliflower, but cooked broccoli has never been my thing. however, I can get onboard with anything involving tahini sauce. :) And now I’m really craving roasted chickpeas!

Dana @ Vanishing Veggie March 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

OMG This looks amazing! Buddha bowls are in HEAVY rotation at my house. I get home from yoga pretty late and I’m usually starving, so a quick quinoa + kale + carrots + tahini or cashew dressing always hits the spot. This looks really amazing, and I’m going to have to add it to the rotation. I bet it would be really good with roasted pumpkin seeds!

Wren January 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I’m making this for dinner tonight, but I’m so glad I saw your comment. I’m going to try this the next time I make it!

Lisa March 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

Delicious and so so good for you. Love the name of the dish.

Aly March 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

I have recently discovered that cauliflower is AMAZING and versatile and not the bland veggie only fit for dousing in sauces that I used to think. I LOVE it and my fridge is never without it now. I make cauliflower rice with a pasta sauce and it’s delish :) I am super stoked to try this recipe as I love roasted anything + sauce :)
Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

Sharon March 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m loving Orange cauliflower lately, it seems to taste a little different but I don’t know if really does or if I just think it does! I could eat broccoli and cauliflower everyday and not get tired of it.

Amelia March 5, 2013 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the lunch idea! I have a whole head of cauliflower in my fridge just waiting to be used.

FYI, if you are on a cauliflower kick lately, you may want to try out a cream of roasted cauliflower & beet soup— simply roast each, add caramelized onions and some veg broth, season and serve! Easy peasy! Cauliflower pizza crust is quite delish too. :)

Lindsay March 5, 2013 at 10:57 am

This looks so great. I’m always stocked up on Broccoli and Cauliflower so I need to give this one a try!

Lisa March 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

This looks great, but would give me sooooo much gas. Is there anything you do to be less gassy when eating cruciferous veggies & beans together?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi Lisa, Some people say taking natural digestive pills help with these kinds of foods I think there is one brand called Bean-zyme that’s vegan – I haven’t tried it but it might be worth checking out. Also, I find that soaking and cooking the beans from scratch helps with digestion (as opposed to using canned beans). Of course, you can also try roasting other veggies for this dish – any you like would work just fine!

Lisa March 5, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks! I will look into bean-zyme :)

barb March 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I recently tried soaking and then sprouting my chickpeas and it worked perfectly! I just wrap them in a cheesecloth and put in a bowl in a dark cupboard and rinse every 4-6 hours for 2 days or even less. I feel so healthy and virtuous when I eat them then :-) Plus no gas.

Lisa March 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hi Angela and Lisa!

This Buddah bowl recipe sounds amazing, and I will surely make it. In reference to the gassy after effects of the cruciferous veggies, I’m wondering if they could be counteracted by adding some sort of seaweed to the dish. like when you add kombu to the pan when cooking beans from scratch?

Susan March 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm

If you use canned beans, dump them into a colander and rinse with cold water until no more bubbles form on the beans. This greatly reduces the gas problem.

Ashley March 5, 2013 at 11:05 am

Oh goodness. I want this to be my lunch every single day!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love the name you gave this one! And I love the ingredients used (even if roasted cauli and broccoli make my house stink to high heaven for days – that’s okay – they’re worth it! LOL)!

Rebekah March 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

Sounds delicious, but I feel like I would use a lot more than 1 tbsp of olive oil to roast 2 heads of cruciferous goodness. I recently made an Indian roasted cauliflower that called for 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup of olive oil. It was amazing. Maybe I will find a happy medium with the oil.

[email protected] Spiritual Sweat March 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

This looks so yummy…. and simple! My favorite combo :) I will be making this for sure.

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} March 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

Well this looks absolutely delicious! I had never roasted cauliflower before this winter and am now loving it. Definitely trying this!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 5, 2013 at 11:21 am

My boyfriend hates cauliflower….so naturally I am intrigued to make this to see if he would like it. Definitely adding to my list of things to make!

nelia March 5, 2013 at 11:28 am

As much as I love roasted cauliflower, It always comes out a little soft and soggy.
I pu it on parchment paper, It’s completely dried when I start, I just don’t get it.
I also find this happens when I try roasting chickpeas.(canned)
Nothing ever crisps up, just becomes soggy,soft.
What am I doing wrong, any ideas?

Susan March 14, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Try these hints: After washing your cauliflower (or other veggie, beans), dry the pieces thoroughly. My rule of thumb is 2 T of oil. The trick is to be sure each piece is covered well with oil, but not soaked in it; a complete, light covering of oil. If you have time, lower the oven temperature, and extend the baking time. The item you’re roasting should look golden, just short of burned. Some burning won’t ruin it.

Liz January 8, 2014 at 12:58 am

This comment was left so long ago, but, for anyone doing some digging in the archives. . . :): The parchment is your problem. All the moisture from the veggies, instead of being dispersed and evaporated by the hot pan, resulting in a crispy, golden exterior, is being absorbed and held in by the parchment. You’re essentially steaming your veggies hence the sogginess. Try roasting them sans parchment (with some oil to keep them from burning and drying out) and see how they come out. :)

Sara Sharma March 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

I’m on holiday and want to rush home to make this! Clearly addicted to your blog :)

Heather March 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm

The roasted chickpeas look delicious! For some reason, I never thought to cook them like that and now it has recipe ideas swirling around in my head for summer salads.

Alexis @ Hummusapien March 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I’m so excited about this! I’m eating a buddha bowl right now for lunch with broccoli, carrots, brown rice, tofu and a super yummy peanut sauce (a copycat recipe from one of my favorite restaurants). I was just thinking about how I could change it up with sauce variations…so this is so perfect! I love the chickpea addition and the creamy sauce. YUM.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This looks delicious. I love the creamy dressing!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm

This sounds so yummy!

Sarah @ mymostlyhealthylife.com March 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

This looks amazing! I hear so much about tahini but have yet to try it, maybe this will be my first time!

Amy Holowaty March 5, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Oh, I know that craving: http://cheesecurdsinfargo.blogspot.com/2013/03/cabbage-flower.html. Excited to try this bowl! :)

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur March 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I’ve definitely learned the lesson about eating an entire head of cauliflower in one sitting – but I continue to do it! This bowl look absolutely perfect. There’s literally nothing I would change about it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe – I know what’s going to be for dinner tonight!

Hilda March 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I’m not a big fan of cauliflower but I do love it mashed together with broccoli and some cream. We’re big on mashed potatoes in Sweden, but mashed cauliflower and broccoli is just as good.

This recipe looks like something I could tolerate cauliflower in too! I’ll be sure to try it out sometime, maybe with some quinoa…

Amy March 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I could have sworn you took a pic of my dinner plate because I make this exact dish about once a week and it looks the same… but I always top it with a lemon tahini garlic sauce. One of my fav comfort dishes!

Miche March 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

This looks so yummy! I’m going to try out this recipe over the weekend, thanks so much for sharing it. It definitely looks like it’s worth the buddha belly, hehe.

Cindy March 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Can’t wait to try this! I love your recipes – and I am totally addicted to the banana bread batter for breakfast! It is unbelievable!!! Unfortunately I can eat the whole thing! Thanks for the super recipes!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) March 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I love roasted cauliflower but I have never roasted broccoli for some reason! This Buddha Bowl sounds delicious, I really like the idea of adding roasted chickpeas for texture and protein. I can’t wait to try it.

The Vegan Cookie Fairy March 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm

That DOES look tasty to me. Haha :D You’re not alone in your love of roasted broccoli and cauliflower!

Tori March 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm

oh YES. I will be making this for dinner ASAP. mmmmmm can not wait!!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm

This sounds amazing! Both roasted vegetables and chickpeas are two of my favorite foods. I am so excited to try this :).

Britt Avery March 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Obsessed with roasted veggies, especially cauliflower. Cant wait to try it!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} March 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I love any roasted veggie! I have been in love with your lemon tahini dressing for the past year so I know I would love this dish.

Emma March 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

All of the ingredients in this dish are favourites- cauli + brocc, chickpeas, tahini, cashews, noosh! You must have made this with me in mind, haha :D

Lauren March 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Looks delicious! The cashew dressing sounds divine — definitely trying soon.

Ariel Scheirer March 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

You might check out the Washington Post today online. They have a whole section of vegan/veg recipes (about 17).

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I can most certainly relate to your cauliflower craving lately. While I’ve never disliked cauliflower, it never really excited me – I preferred grape tomatoes or broccoli or zucchini, etc. However, I attempted mashed cauliflower a couple weeks ago, and though it didn’t turn out all that well, I’ve been all about the cauliflower since then! Needless to say, I think this buddha bowl dish looks incredible :)

Deb @ Dietitian Debbie Dishes March 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm

This looks absolutely delish! I love, love, love roasted veggies! I haven’t tried roasting chickpeas yet, but they are next on my list!

Natalie March 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This recipe looks so good, I’m adding to next week’s meal plan for sure. I’ve been eating Vegan 2 months now and I still can’t seem to get used to the taste of nutritional yeast. Can I reduce the amount used or even omit it from your recipes and still expect good results?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Yes you can certainly reduce it to taste :) Hope you enjoy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Oh sign me right up! Right now I’m all about the big bowls of warm veggies I love your creativity with this dressing and I think I’ll be giving it a try! Like you, cauliflower has never been one of my favourites until this winter. Fingers crossed our snow will be gone soon! :)

Lisa Kelly March 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

this looks absolutely heavenly! nirvana in a bowl :)

Lisa C March 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Made it tonight for dinner with a veggie stew and a big green salad. Perfect! Wouldn’t change a thing!

Jade C March 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’ve seen a lot of Buddha Bowl recipes around the blogisphere as of late, and keep forgetting to make one.. This looks great, and comforting.
I LOVE roasted cauliflower, and broccoli. Will be giving this one a go soon :) thanks!!

Candace | yogabycandace March 6, 2013 at 3:28 am

I have been on a cauliflower kick lately- just made a blended cauliflower/sweet potato soup and it was sooo good. I have a texture thing with cauliflower though- I just can’t handle it in it’s whole form- it’d gotta be chopped or blended or something. So weird, right? Anyway, I love your tahini dressing, so I’m gonna give this a go. Maybe I’ll even live on the edge and keep the cauliflowers whole. haha :)

Rose March 6, 2013 at 7:26 am

LOVE roasted cruciferous veggies! And I love roasted chickpeas. Looks like this will be dinner tonight :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

I love it! Looks amazing and would be so perfect for lunch!!

Jen O. March 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

This looks incredible. I LOVE anything tahini + lemon + chickpeas so this is getting made this weekend FOR SURE!

Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama March 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

I love roasted cauliflower and roasted chickpeas so this is perfect for me!

Christina March 6, 2013 at 8:20 am

This recipe looks so delicious, I usually just dress cauliflower in a little white balsamic and olive oil, but I will definitely be trying this soon!

Padma March 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

I love cauliflower and broccoli. Can’t wait to try this one out. That dressing sounds delicious!

Ágnes March 6, 2013 at 9:46 am

Sounds amazing!
Here in Hungary broccoli and cauliflower are not in season yet, but I will make it from frozen vegetables. :)

Alyssa January 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

how did that work out?

Katie March 6, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hi Angela!

This looks delicious – and very similar to my staple miso soup (method) recipes! I have some suggestions for the impatient types:
1) You can roast the cauliflower and the broccoli using this stovetop method:
Chop up broccoli and cauliflower into florets, and throw into a pot.
Cover with a lid, and turn up heat to high. The water from washing the vegetables should make them start to steam while “burning”.
Watch the pot, and give it a shake now and then. When you reach your desired level of browness, remove from heat and enjoy! (Your place will start to smell like a Chinese restaurant!)

I’ve never tried it with chickpeas, but I’m sure it’ll be a success!

2) Other awesome additions to make your Buddha Belly even happier: chopped bok choy, fresh (or pickled) ginger, wasame, grated carrot, daikon, sprouts …

3) I always always forget to soak my nuts and thus usually omit. The dressing is delicious without the cashews (if you adjust the liquid for consistency). However, I discovered last night that cooked chickpeas make an AMAZING stand in for soaked nuts!! Double bonus because my blender/food processor get mad at me when I try and make sunbutter …

And if you think cauliflower in the winter in Canada is good, make sure to pick some up at the farmer’s market! I hated cauliflower until I got some 2 years ago at the farmer’s market. It was immediately dubbed “magic cauliflower” and I was eating (by myself) a giant head a week. Roasted cauliflower-tofu ricotta, roasted Ethiopian cauliflower, raw cauliflower with tahini and Sriracha, mashed cauliflower in baked goods … So so delicious.
(Note: I’m also in Canada, and can attest to the winter cauliflower quality. Doesn’t hold a candle to the farmet’s market!)

Ann March 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

Yummers! This is the exact kind of dish I love your blog for. Healthy, yummy, inventive and easy! It’s such a good template for any other kind of veggie too. Thanks so much!

Also, I just want to say that I miss your “What I eat” series. It is so thought-provoking for me.

Roos March 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

What a great idea! The dressing looks delicious and is a great replacement for a cheesesauce, which we typically make in Holland. Thanks!

Jeremy March 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

This sounds delicious! And the roasted cauliflower cravings don’t seem so odd to me. I have this strange addiction to roasted cauliflower with ketchup and sriracha – it makes up for the lack of french fries and hash browns in my diet.

Sometimes at the cafeteria at work they serve amazing roasted cauliflower that is really creamy and just melts in my mouth. I haven’t figured out how to get that effect at home yet. Even steaming them a little before roasting hasn’t quite done the trick. Any ideas?

McKel | Nutrition Stripped March 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

This recipe is screaming warm, comfort, and cozy-ness in this cold weather (here in Nashville). The sauce is my favorite part, you can’t go wrong with “cheese” sauce and broccoli right? Trying this soon and thanks for sharing this!

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies March 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Ohhh, that dressing sounds super tasty! My boyfriend hates the texture of chickpeas– I’ll have to try roasting them, maybe he’ll come around.

Anna @ Your Healthy Place March 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

That dressing sounds heavenly! I love the flavours in it and creamy dressings are a must in winter time, for some weird reason…! I’ve been on the broccoli/cauliflower fan train for a long time so no persuasion needed here but I love the idea of adding roasted chickpeas into the mix. Delish!

andrea March 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I used to only tolerate cauliflower if it was smothered in cheese or turned into soup. l also recently developed a desire to roast it and add it to salad – especially good with kale. Must try the cashew tahini…

Nat @ The Apple Diaries March 6, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Sometimes the most simple ingredients can make such a delicious meal. Roasting the chickpeas is a great idea and the creamy sauce looks like it would add just the right amount of extra flavour.

Thanks for sharing :)

Karen March 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I am so looking forward to trying this recipe… but one ingredient in many of your recipes is a problem for me. Nutritional yeast. It’s an inflammation trigger for me, and I’ve been unable to find a substitute. What do you recommend?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

I’m not sure Karen, you could experiment with the dressing without it. You just might have to tweak the other ingredients a bit but I’m sure it would still taste nice. goodluck!

Live Love Yum March 6, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Looks great….but you scared me off with the Buddha Belly – I don’t need it! :)

Corinne March 6, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Yum! I love chickpeas…and try and fit in the broccoli and cauliflower too :)

Ali @ Project Kale March 6, 2013 at 5:39 pm

This looks so simple, and SO yummy! I’ve always loved broccoli and chickpeas in any shape or form, but I was never a cauliflower fan either until I ate it roasted!! It’s delicious!!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia March 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Yess! Looks delicious. I love roasted vegetables in bowls and also as part of salads (esp in cold weather)

Deb March 6, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Mmmmm…this is delicious! Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe!!!

Christy S. March 6, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Just made this for my family tonight. Wonderful! My husband could not stop commenting on how amazing it was. My teenage boys ate and ate it, even though I found it very filling. Thank you! You were not kidding though about the Buddha belly… Toting one right now. Always love your recipes! Thanks, Angela!

Vanessa March 6, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Oh, wow. This is definitely on the “to-make” list. Roasted veggies are the bomb.

Susan March 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Banana bread? I have 2 ripe bananas sitting on the counter and my kids requested banana bread but when I searched your recipes I didn’t find one – which surprised me given your generous use of bananas. Any suggestions?

Lindsay @ VeganYumminess March 7, 2013 at 12:18 am

Oh YUM!!!

Cynthia G March 7, 2013 at 9:15 am

This recipe looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it. For the dressing, what other nut can I use instead of the cashews.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2013 at 9:37 am

Macadamia nuts would work and probably almonds. Or you can make my lemon tahini dressing that I linked to at the bottom of the directions. Goodluck!

Cynthia G March 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Oh, I already do your Lemon Tahini Dressing. I just love it and make a big batch of it and store it in the fridge for a quick topping on salads. I was interested to try the added nut version. I will try it with soaked almonds and let you know how it goes.

Natalie March 7, 2013 at 10:47 am

I made this for dinner last night, deeeeelish!!! I loved it and can’t wait to have the rest for lunch today! Def a new staple in my house. Thanks for sharing.

Michaela March 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

Have you read Kris Carr’s book, Crazy Sexy Diet? She similarly named one of her stables “Buddha Bowl.” Great minds think alike!

Ashley March 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Made this last night. Loved it. The dressing is sooooo good.

Julia March 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

This looks delicious. Have you ever heard of Green Temple? It’s the worlds best veggie restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA and this looks a lot like an item on their menu.

Anglea- what brand of nutritional yeast do you recommend?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi Julia, I don’t recommend a particular brand per say, but I buy the Purely Bulk brand because that’s what my grocery store carries. I haven’t heard of Green Temple, but it sounds right up my alley!

Erica March 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

This was amazing!!! My grandparents are going out of town and gave us all of the food in their fridge, which included a TON of cauliflower on the verge of going bad :P So I roasted it for my dad and me (and I?), along with some broccolini (and the chickpeas), which is like broccoli but better! I would have eaten it all myself but I get awful stomachaches when I eat too many cruciferous vegetables, which is disappointing because they are so healthy and they are some of my favorite foods.

Amanda March 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm

This is a delicious recipe thanks. I’m making it this weekend but might add a sprinkling of lightly roasted pumpkin seeds on top too.

Renard Moreau March 8, 2013 at 8:22 am

[ Smiles ] Your roasted Buddha bowl looks delicious!

Suzanne March 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

I am so glad you found a love of cauliflower and broccoli – they are 2 of my favorite vegetables and I LOVE them roasted. I have 2 heads of cauliflower in the fridge – may just have to have one for lunch today(and pay the price ;-) .I also love roasted ck peas – one of the best things about my work from home days is that I can make them (I find they do not keep their crunch if I don’t eat them right away). Mmm – good with chili powder &/or chana masala spice as well.

{Moni} @ Moni Meals March 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I could and want to eat this everyday!!

Thanks Ang. :)

Monica @ Model Chef March 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’m thinking the same…everyday. lol

Cathy March 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Great tip for fast soaking the cashew nuts – I always forget to soak my nuts so they are never ready when I need them!

Karen D. March 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I always hated cauliflower because I had always had it steamed (yuck) or raw (not my favorite). I tried roasted and now LOVE cauliflower. My kids eat every bite I make and ask for more. They also love cheddar cauliflower, which has a lovely yellow/orange hue.

Monica @ Model Chef March 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

This looks absolutely divine! I’m hungry now.

Shira March 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi Angela,
Been loving your blog as usual, I want to try your “not average” potato soup this weekend, but this gorgeous weather today (Northeast of T.O.) is making me want to make some groovy salads :) I had a question/request, wasn’t sure if I should drop it here or e-mail you, so here goes! Regarding your vegan 101 type posts, I was wondering how you/vegans manage to digest so many vegetables! I am very allergic to dairy, and very sensitive to eggs, I eat a lot of vegan foods naturally and love vegan recipes. Anyways, when I eat a salad for lunch I am often left nauseous, sometimes with a headache, and sometimes with ‘tummy trouble’. I also have to avoid veggies like cabbage, broccoli, and kale.. too much bloat and pain! Any suggestions regarding this, any tips or your experiences? I know I am sensitive, so perhaps most people don’t have these problems, but it is definitely something that prevents me from eating more fabulous vegan meals! Would love your input, anytime :)
P.S. looooove your spicy red lentil soup (I use spinach for the kale) and roasted tomato and onion soup (OMG. so. good.).. they’ve gotten my boyfriend and I through the winter!

kristle March 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

that split pea potato soup is delicious!! the spiced red lentil tomato soup also ruled my winter. i wish i could give you a comment on the bloating from veggie thing, but i dont think i’ve ever had that problem. maybe beano before a meal?

Moira March 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I made this for lunch today and I must say it was superb. Thanks for sharing with us!

brittany March 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Angela, have you ever made some YouTube videos? I think your Vegan 101 series would be AMAZING as a YouTube series. Just demo each recipe or talk about each tip in short 2-minute videos or whatever! I know we would all love to hear your thoughts!

Julie March 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been a vegan since new year’s and I am so grateful that I found your blog. I have lost 10 pounds and am learning to love the taste of pure, whole foods. I never thought I would love something with broccoli and cauliflower more than fast food! Your recipes are amazing and have really helped with my transition to this new diet.

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian March 11, 2013 at 2:06 am

Oh. Yum. Those golden roasted chickpeas look amazing. I think of a few people I can use this recipe on to convert into cauliflower/broccoli lovers!

Cheryl March 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

Made it–and WOW! This is going down as a favorite. That sauce is SO good, and so good for us! :D

meg March 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

this is excellent! made it last night – it was not too difficult to make and i mixed it with a rice/barley blend from trader joe’s. the meat-eating boyfriend liked it too! it’s filling and very tasty. might play around and add some other veggies or perhaps craisins next time? thanks for a great, healthy recipe!

Jane March 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm

This recipe looks absolutely delicious. Chickpeas are a favorite of mine, but I’ve never tried them roasted which sounds amazing. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli are always a big hit at my house.

Krista @InvitedDIY March 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I’m a big fan of broccoli and cauliflower so I’m sure I’ll love this. Any tips for making the sauce smooth – i.e. soaking the cashews longer? I’ve made various versions of cashew sauce but my food processor never seems to get the sauce to the right consistency?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I would try soaking overnight maybe?

Jenna March 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Just made this, a new favorite!!!

Deepa March 12, 2013 at 8:50 am

so yummy, thanks!

Rose Chilibeck March 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I saw this recipe link this AM on a friends facebook page and HAD to make it. True to form it is yet ANOTHER amazing recipe!! I like that the ingredients are simple as well as I live in a small northern town that doesn’t have a lot of exotic ingredients to buy! Well done AGAIN. Sharing for sure!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thank you so much Rose! Im so happy :)

Carrie March 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Just finished eating this for dinner. The whole family loved it including my 16 month old. Thanks for the recipe!

rabbit March 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Angela
I’m not great with the internet (don’t like to leave an imprint) but I made your Budda Bowel tonight and if was FABULOUS! I’d buy a cook book from you for this alone. Please keep up the good work this is the 3rd recipe of yours I’ve tried. I didn’t have much luck with one – but the other two (this included) excellent. Thank-you. I will continue to visit your site.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2013 at 8:58 am

Thanks for your feedback! I so appreciate it :)

Kristy-Anne March 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Have been so inspired by many of your recipes. I love them, so delicious. This one was so amazing it made me stop and write a comment. I NEVER write comments. Loved, it and plan to make it again already this week.
So excited for the cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hey Kristy-Anne, Aw Im so happy to hear that! Thanks for your comment :)

Jeni March 13, 2013 at 7:10 am

What a fabulous tasty recipe. My husband said I will convert him to a vegan very soon!!! Thankyou.

Jenc March 13, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This was great! I have NEVER made cauliflower before. I did the 45 minute soak with boiling water and it didn’t turn out as creamy as yours (and I used a Vitamix). It didn’t take away from the flavor, but next time I’ll have to remember to do the overnight soak. Thanks for the recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Jen!

Madeleine March 14, 2013 at 10:17 am

Excellent dish! I’ve made it twice now and we love it – next time I’m going to also roast Brussels sprouts. Also, my cuisinart lid is broken and didn’t want to use the vitamix since I find it difficult to get sauces out of there so used my immersion blender and it came out great. Thanks so much for your excellent recipe making skills!

Aleksandra Slijepcevic March 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm

That looks absolutely delicious (and the name beckons!). What a great post, I will definitely have to try this! :)

Abrey March 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hello! I am new to the vegan life style and just found your website and I LOVE IT!!!! I have tried a few of your recipes and they are FANTASTIC! Just made this Budha Bowl and the whole family (hubby, 6 year old daughter, and 8 year old son) all really enjoyed it. Thank you for your recipes – keep them coming!!!

Eliana March 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

This dish is awesome! Thank You!!!

Elizabeth March 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Made this tonight, was great! Thank you for helping me find a way to like cauliflower! I did add a bit of balsamic to the dressing as well.

Rebecca March 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much for all of your blogs and recipes!! I’ve not only become a better cook, but I’ve actually gotten my meat loving husband to give me a shocked, “Whoa. I think I like this!” and not request a side of meat to go with it. I made this tonight, although I ran out of time to make brown rice with it, but my husband and I gorged on just the broccoli, cauliflower, chickpeas and sauce. I cannot wait to eat it tomorrow for lunch, too! So stuffed! Thank you for making being vegan and healthy so delicious!

Amy March 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

Finally got a chance to make this for dinner last night. It was really delicious, exactly as written. We had it over a bed of quinoa. I’m really looking forward to the leftovers for lunch today. The dressing was so tasty, I doubt there will be any leftovers. :)

Alexis @ Hummusapien March 19, 2013 at 10:48 am

Oh Angela, you’ve done it again! I made this last night and I am totally obsessed. I could easily drink the dressing (it’s that good) but I’m trying to save it for leftovers! I love the creaminess that the cashews add. I’m eating the leftoevrs for lunch right now and dreading being done with it :)

John March 20, 2013 at 6:14 am

The name alone makes me want to try this dish!

And I love broccoli and cauliflower together so I will definitely try to make this next week.

I don’t like chickpeas so I would probably substitute them with either roasted cashews or sun flower nuts – think that would work out well.

Peri March 20, 2013 at 10:47 am

I have to eat broccoli frequently and I was about to get totally fed up with having it steamed all the time. I will try this for a change. It looks yummy!

John March 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I added a little agave nectar to add a bit of sweetness. Great dressing!

Wendy March 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm

This dish is divine! I’ve been enjoying roasted cauliflower for a couple of years, and I’m passionate about it. I added Brussels sprouts to my Buddha bowls, and it was a great addition. Angela, I can’t rave about this sauce enough. I’ve been emailing friends and singing the praises of your blog. You’ve got a hard core fan in me, and I’m sending others :-) I’m making some of this sauce right now for………I haven’t decided yet.

Leslie March 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Made this tonight for the family and OMG is it delish!! I usually roast cauliflower or broccoli separately as a side dish- but this was a treat… Thanks for this great new side!!

Julie March 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love cauliflower be it raw or cooked so new recipes using it are always very welcome to me. I’ll try it on my kids, see if they like it.

Melissa Wolf March 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm

So yummy! Thank you. I was skeptical about the dressing but wow. Just finished a big bowl with mixed greens and it was very filling and savory. Will be lunch tomorrow too!

vivien March 25, 2013 at 11:45 am

Thanks a lot for this recipe, it was so DELICIOUS! :)

Sarah March 25, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Tonight over dinner my husband whimpered at me, “This is so good I want to rub my face in it!” Haha! Thank you for the delicious dinner idea. We obviously both loved it. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm

LOL now that is a good meal! ;)

Pam March 28, 2013 at 6:54 am

This was delicious! Even my non-vegetarian husband declared this good!

Alyson March 28, 2013 at 1:43 pm

This looks delicious and I would love to make it tonight, however I am candida cleansing… Would the dressing be okay sans yeast? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

Yes I think it should be fine…you just might need to reduce the lemon juice a bit as nooch can offset the acid

Rochelle April 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Oh my! Just made this and it was heaven! My kids could not wait for it to come out of the oven. Served over a bed of Quinoa cooked in Vegetable broth! This was fantastic!

deb April 17, 2013 at 2:07 am

This was so simple and so good. Total comfort food. I did not soak beans just added more water to thin in food processor. Awesome!

Ann April 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Oh,,,my…goodness. I finally made this yesterday with broccoli and actually some roasted turnips (did not have cauliflower), but good lord, that dressing left me speechless, seriously. Maybe I’m a nerd…but I almost wept, it was so yum. And the roasted chickpeas? You’ve changed my life! I actually don’t like the consistency of chickpeas but I devoured these.

My husband closed his eyes and said “Yummmm…is this another vegan recipe?” Yup, I answered, it is. And there are more to come! Thanks Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

aw that makes me so happy! Thank you so much for trying it and letting me know!

Cathleen April 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

I am dying to try this recipe! I am new to vegan and living overseas and I haven’t found a place to purchase nutritional yeast yet. What do you recommend for the dressings that call for NY? should I just omit it and carry on… or should I use something as a replacement? thanks for the help!

Cathleen April 23, 2013 at 10:57 am

I see a great answer above – just go lighter on the lemon!

Angel April 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I made this tonight and the family liked it! Our rendition included sliced carrots, red peppers, and topped with your sauce, green onions, fresh tomatoes and a dash of chili powder. I really like your recipes! Thank you for sharing!

Andrea May 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I made this tonight and served with some biscuits. I poured the entire sauce over the veggies and let it cool a bit. The kids both loved it! Thrilled to find this recipe.

Mary-Ann May 5, 2013 at 6:33 am

This was delicious! Made it as a side for a dinner party; one guest thought the sauce contained cream because it was so creamy.

Nathalie May 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

I absolutely love this recipe…. I make it twice and week and eat it for days…..
I’d love to see what else would be good with the sauce. And what other similar recipes you have.
Thanks

Mel May 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Holy moly this was so delicious! I found it pretty quick and easy, and it’s so good I’ll be making it often. Two things I’d change for next time – My vegetables and chickpeas were overcooked. I’ll probably lower the temperature to 350 or 375 next time. I actually liked the crunch of the “blackened broccoli” but the chickpeas were a little too hard and crunchy. And I used one large clove of garlic in the dressing, but it was a little too garlic-y for me. The next day after sitting in the fridge over night it’s really overpowering. Next time I’ll use a small clove or 1/2 a clove of garlic.

Still this is SO good. I served it over brown rice.

Megan Barnett May 21, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Just have to say I am new to your site and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have never found a site with such reliably delicious food. Tonight my kids made the Roasted Buddha Bowl with me. They are 4 and 6. My 6 year old son made the sauce in the Vitamix. My daughter prepped all of the veggies and chickpeas. They went crazy over this dinner, they are pretty good eaters but I would normally have to argue over this one. Thanks for mixing it up for us!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2013 at 7:31 am

Thank you Megan! So happy you are all enjoying the recipes :)

Leslie May 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

My husband cooked this up for dinner tonight. We were immediate fans. We really like the roasted chickpeas. It gives it a just a little crunch. Delicious!

Meagan June 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm

This was AMAZING. I made it last night. It was a hit. I did not have cauliflower and could not find it organic in the store, so I used Zucchini. It worked, luckily!

rachel July 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

Nummers! I had a lot of extra sauce so I put it on top of brown rice spaghetti noodles, then added some peas for color and a pop of flavor and some pepper. NOM!!

Karen Lazarenko July 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

Finally made this today. It’s been on my to do list since I first saw it. Oh my goodness it was delicious. Threw in some leftover roasted zucchini we BBQ’d the other night. Deeeeeelish!!

Leah Banton July 31, 2013 at 10:22 am

Tried this recipe last night, I am in love! Even my veggie shy husband enjoyed it. Thanks for another great one Angela!

LCI August 6, 2013 at 6:59 am

I made this last night and it was delicious. Only change I made was to substitute hummus for tahini, simply because I didn’t have the latter. Excellent dish.

Megan August 12, 2013 at 3:00 am

I made this for dinner last night. It was amazing! The whole family loved it!

Tess August 14, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Tried this last weekend as a side-dish (no grains) and my while gang LOVED it! It was surprisingly filling, but surprisingly delicious. Especially the cheeze sauce, which I used a double portion of :P

slywlf September 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Oh yeah! I discovered this blog only recently, so taking a page from The Doctor I have been doing a little Time Traveling, discovering things I had missed. I totally understand the roasted cauliflower craving – I just had it a couple days ago. Happily my local farm stand was able to supply me with a beautiful head. I proceeded to roast it along with some thickly sliced red onion and a head of garlic. Bliss! Now I have to try this! My love of broccoli goes deep – I particularly like a rough-chopped raw salad like I made a couple days ago, which came out like a weird green second cousin of a Waldorf salad – I ate it for three days and never got bored! Now I must give this version of broccoli a shot. Roasting changes it into a whole new veggie, and with my cauliflower and then adding the chickpeas… Heaven ;-)

Linda September 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I just made this for my family, 4 giant thumbs up! Including from my 3 yr old and 1 yr old who were begging me for more veggies!! Sending a giant cyber hug your way for getting my boys to happily eat their veggies AND ask for more :)

Carol September 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Can I freeze the broccoli/cauliflower in serving size bags after preparing?

Suzanne October 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and almost cried it was so good.

Love your blog! It has inspired me to cook again after falling off the wagon!

Karen H. October 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I made this last night and it was so good! My first experience with nutritional yeast and I was delighted with the results. In fact I loved the sauce so much I made up another double batch today just to have on hand! I’m hoping to find more delicious recipes like this one to make my transition to vegan an easy one. :)

Claire November 19, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Just made this and my husband and I loved it! Makes a great weekday meal with leftovers for lunch!

Dave November 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

I can’t wait to try this out. In fact I’m going to make it this weekend.

My 4yo son loves broccoli, to the point that he will try and eat it raw. As soon as the bags hit the kitchen floor he is straight in there tearing open the bag to get at it.

In fact now I say that out loud as it were it does sound a little weird.lol

Perhaps we should have him checked out…

Dave.

Katie December 2, 2013 at 12:28 am

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked since the day it was posted, but I never seem to get around to making it because everything looks so good except for the sauce.

Because I hate tahini. I’ve tried it so many times, and the only time I don’t hate it is when it’s in store bought hummus. Whenever I try to use even the smallest amount in anything that I make, it tastes horrible. Would leaving it out completely negate the purpose of making that sauce? Is there a different sauce you could recommend?

Thanks!

Natalie December 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

When I make the sauce I add avocado instead of cashews. When I add a whole avocado, a bit more lemon and extra water to thin it out to the consistancy I like you can’t even taste the tahini. It’s still sooo good! If I were you I would use it just maybe half of it instead of a whole tbs. You should really try this dish. It is worth playing around with a bit.

Liz January 8, 2014 at 5:20 am

You could just replace it with whatever nut butter you have on hand. I imagine almond or cashew would work well. Really, I’m sure any seed or nut butter you prefer would be totally fine.

Natalie December 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Since finding this recipe two months ago I have made this every week at least twice. It is soooooo good!!!!! I put 1/2 an avocado in instead of cashews so need more water for the consistancy I like but other than that I stick to the recipe. Just finished my second bowl this week and I want another! Thanks for your blog. I love how your recipes have evolved over the years.

Sara December 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thank you for your recipes! I have recently had to go vegan and gluten-free for health purposes and have been floundering a bit with what to make. Everything I’ve tried from your site has been wonderful. I made this bowl tonight and it was AMAZING! If I hadn’t made it with quinoa and felt completely stuffed, I could’ve eaten the whole bowl. Thank you again!

Kathy January 3, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I was looking for an ‘antidote’ to all of the heavy holiday eating we have been doing, and luckily I had all the ingredients for the buddha bowl on hand. I just made it, and it is AWESOME. Thank you for another delicious, satisfying, healthy recipe! Happy New Year!

Alice January 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm

This looks yummy! I’m not a big fan of Tahini – could I leave it out or replace it with something else? Thoughts? Thank you!

Crystal January 8, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I just made this tonight .. you are actually amazing Angela thank you!!

Amy January 9, 2014 at 4:16 pm

any good replacements for nutritional yeast? I meal planned for the week but missed this ingredient. =( and I’m making it tonight!

Angela January 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I was wondering what type of cashews you use in this recipe, it doesn’t specify. I would guess raw because you have to soak them. I bought “roasted” and am soaking them now. Wondering if I even need to because they’re already roasted? Also, I bought Bragg’s nutritional yeast “seasoning”. The ingredients seem the same as normal nutritional yeast, I’m just thrown off because it says “seasoning”. I’m new to these vegan type ingredients, and just was wondering if you could help me understand. Thank you!!

Leslie January 16, 2014 at 8:16 pm

So I made this recipe 2 nights ago for dinner & my husband & I thoroughly enjoyed! Only comment on it is re: leftovers. We reheated the leftovers tonight & it tasted really funny! Has anyone else had this experience? Maybe if I don’t put the dressing on the leftovers? It had a really strong/pungent taste that wasn’t very pleasant. If others have also experienced this, might be worthwhile to add a note about storing the leftover veggies/dressing separately?

Fiona January 19, 2014 at 12:25 am

This was so yummy!! I used adzuki beans and I would probably try a lot of different sauces with this. Very easy and delicious!

Shana January 21, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Just tried this tonight with some rainbow quinoa–it was delicious! Your recipes are always a win! Thanks for sharing!

AutumnTao January 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Made this 1/20/14. Served over tri-colored quinoa. It was awesome. Healthy whole food deliciousness. Can’t wait for the cookbook :) Thanks for another great recipe, Angela. XO

Angelina January 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Made this for dinner tonight. I could not believe how delicious it was. I always expect to love your recipes but I could not stop eating it. But even more exciting, my two year old could not stop eating it either. He kept asking for more, and he is a picky eater. Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :)

Susanti January 25, 2014 at 1:02 am

I made this last week & it was fantastic! Making it again this week. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe.

Michele Chorman January 25, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I love this recipe. It is easy and so good!! This will be a regular on our menu for sure! Thanks so much!

Kristen January 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Made this last night, so delish! I changed it up a bit and sprinkled cumin on the veggies before sticking them in the oven, this gave the dish a bit more flavor and a slight kick.

Heidi January 27, 2014 at 3:03 pm

For the past 21 days I was on a Daniel fast, which is basically vegan but even stricter. I was so happy to find your website and such great recipes. After a while you get tired of soup and chili. I made your pasta recipe with butternut squash, wonderful. The best was the Buddha Bowl, it was the first time I have ever enjoyed cauliflower. Thank you so much. I have finished my fast but I will continue to make your recipes because they are plain good.

Michele January 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I just made this bowl of awesome tonight. I’m still eating it and already can’t wait for tomorrow’s leftovers. This will definitely become a regular meal for me. It was my first time working with nutritional yeast. I’ve been avoiding recipes that call for it for years, and now I wonder why. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Allison January 28, 2014 at 8:19 pm

My husband and I have fallen in love with this (as well as many other of your recipes!). However, the second time we made it, we doubled the batch as to leave left-overs. The first night, it was as perfect as we remembered. However, now that we are eating the left-overs there is a LOT of heat- by the end of the bowl it’s pretty uncomfortable. Any idea why this may be? Also the cauliflower now has a radish sort of taste to it. Again, curious if it’s the sauce or if cauliflower can take on this heat somehow. Thanks!!!

Georgina Rodrigues January 30, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I am in Mexico , Puerto Vallarta for 4 months and wondered if you can make Tahini, with sesame seeds here? we can get the seeds but not the Tahini prepared. I love to use my Nutri Blast machine which whips up everything even better than the Vitamix blender I used to use.
Any recipes out there for Tahini?

Dana February 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Angela, Thank you for this wonderful recipe! Simple and delicious. Served it over cubed steamed (leftover) sweet potatoes and really enjoyed the flavor combo! Making it again tomorrow :-)

Lisle February 18, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I tried this recipe tonight by roasting broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and chickpeas, and serving it over organic kamut. It. Was. Amazing. My fiancé and I will be using your website a ton from now on for food inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Kalle LeMone February 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm

This recipe was delicious! I added butternut squash and mushrooms and sprinkled everything with cumin. We will defintely make this again. Thank you Angela!

Seatown Kate February 27, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Just tried this and it is *amazing*! My meat-eating husband and I ate it like it was junk food or something. I added some red quinoa (cooked with the lemon rind and a spoonful of tahini) for some extra crunch and protein and it turned out great. Thanks for sharing a fantastic recipe!

Elizabeth Brousson March 3, 2014 at 10:30 pm

This recipe is so delicious! We eat it at least 3 times a month!

Michele March 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I just discovered this recipe about a month ago, and it has quickly become one of my favorite dishes. Anyone have any other veggie combos they’ve tried? I’m thinking of trying one with chickpeas, kale (sauteed instead of roasted) and _______??? some other veggie. Was thinking of an asparagus and cauliflower version as well.

Elsa October 25, 2014 at 8:20 am

I made this with broccoli, tomatoes and onions. Turned out well I think :) Add the tomatoes after half the time though.

Kale sounds nice! I imagine carrots, leek, zucchini or mushrooms would be nice, too :)

Susan March 14, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Oh my goodness. I made this for dinner and it is amazing! I made some adjustments to meet the needs of the moment, but the spirit of the final dish was fully yours. Thank you. I will make this again, no doubt.

Jodi March 15, 2014 at 11:15 am

I’m new to healthy cooking and vegan dishes – can I get more info on what nutritional yeast is – what is is – what it does – and where I buy it

allison reece March 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness! This is the most excellent dish! It’s a keeper for sure. Simple and easy cleanup too. I did add one more vegetable, onions. Everything came out perfect. Great comfort food. Plenty of protein. Mix of textures: crunchy, soft, and wonderfully creamy. Thank you!

SJF April 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Absolutely delicious! Loved it and will make again.

Christina May 22, 2014 at 4:59 am

Is there anything I can substitute for the tahini? I live in an isolated community in northern Canada and it’s not readily available.

Laura July 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hello, I am new here! While surfing the internet for some yummy recipes I found your site, the recipe above and we just finished eating all of it. My boyfriend who is a passionate meat-lover just couldn’t get enough. Thank you!

Jen August 26, 2014 at 11:17 am

I can confirm!! It IS DELICIOUS! I will be eating this for lunch this week! IT tastes AMAZING! It’s almost as if I’m having a super cheesy bad-for-me lunch! But it’s sooooo good in more ways than one! ;) Two thumbs up!

Erin October 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I’ve been drooling at this for days, but I don’t have an oven in my tiny studio apartment. Maybe I’ll try to saute this up, instead.

Elsa October 25, 2014 at 8:17 am

Mmm, this was delicious! I ate almost all of it by myself haha, wouldn’t have lasted for three meals here! I ate it plain though, with grains (and maybe some fresh salad?) it would have served more people.

Jennifer November 4, 2014 at 12:27 pm

hi-wondering what kind of nutritional yeast you use? thank you!!

Raeyanna November 24, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I just made this for lunches this week. SO GOOD!!
You had me at all of the roasting and tahini dressing. :)

Elissa November 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Hi! I have a very severe allergy to sesame seeds and I was wondering if there were any similar-tasting substitutes for the tahini sauce. Thanks!

manuela January 16, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Hi Angela
I love your blog and your 1st cookbook and hardly wait for your 2nd one. I have recently been diagnosed with several food sensitives cashews, brazil nuts and peanuts to name a few. I eat vegan, wheat free and dairy free any suggestions what I can do to replace cashews in a recipe as I know they are great to replace dairy?
Thanks Manuela

Heather February 19, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Ummm….this is the first recipe of yours I’ve tried and I have to say….YOU.ARE.AMAZING. Thank you SO much!! I’ll be picking up a copy of your cookbook tomorrow : ) I so appreciate you doing what you do, I’m newly vegan and loving it!!

Tara February 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Was looking for a new recipe to make with the tons of broccoli and cauli i had in the fridge. Was lazy so I blanched them instead, and used pre-made tachina. Can’t wait to try it!

stefania March 9, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Hi, tried the recipe but I think that the measurements for the lemon tahini sauce are off. I follow the measurements as prescribed but it came out too salty I think that it is because of the 1/4 of cup for nutritional yeast, I also compared the measurements with your original lemon tahini dressing from your book and they were completely different. it even gave me headache I wonder how could I fix the dressing to use it for a later dish?

Regina March 28, 2015 at 6:22 pm

OMG. This is so good. I am obsessed and want to eat it everyday. Thanks, Angela, for another great recipe!! :-)

Cathy March 31, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Anyone know the calorie and fat content on this amazing dish?

Jody Cedzidlo April 20, 2015 at 7:27 pm

I just wanted to tell you this recipe has become a weeknight staple in our house and we have played with many variations! Roasted chickpeas/red onions/brussel sprouts/sweet potato and omit the quinoa; roasted sweet potato, chickpea, avocado, and cilantro tacos with this same dressing but made with lime instead of lemon and plenty of cumin on the chickpeas; I could go on. I truly cannot thank you enough for the base dressing recipe! This single post has made us so much less stressed during the week without resorting to unhealthy food. Thank you!!

Tracyann Cummings July 16, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Hi,

This looks great, is there an other alternative for the nutritional yeast? I’m fasting and I have to remove all yeast products from my diet for a short period of time.

Amy October 12, 2015 at 7:43 pm

This was my second time making this delicious recipe. The first time the fresh garlic was a little strong in the dressing. This time I roasted 2 garlic cloves with the rest of the veggies and used those in the dressing. Also added Braggs and a bit of apple cider vinegar to dressing. Yum!

MrsD January 16, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Coming from a meat-eater, this was so, so, so good! Everything a great recipe should be and so comforting :) We are going to be making this very often around here.

Britany January 20, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Hi Angela! Do you have a version of this sauce without nutritional yeast?

Linda January 30, 2016 at 11:08 am

Hi! I’d like to make this but I’ve got no food proccessor :(
However I do have 100% cashew butter and I was wondering how much to swap in…thanks!

Mei October 10, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Recipe Rating:

Found this recipe via Vega. The dressing is fabulous!! I can see this dressing being my go to!

Angela Liddon October 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Mei!

Kristen November 6, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Recipe Rating:

Such a great recipe. This shows up on our menu at least once a month. My husband even liked it cold for lunch the next day.

Angela Liddon November 7, 2016 at 9:43 am

Oh, I love this recipe for lunch leftovers, too! I’m so glad you and your husband have been enjoying it.

bonnie January 6, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Is there any ready made dressing available so I don’t have to make one and can have it on had for quick use? Thanks.

Edwina | Kitchen Appliances February 2, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I have only recently discovered how wonderful roasted cauliflower is. This recipe looks delicious. And the sauce would be perfect. I’m going to make it soon.

Angela Liddon February 3, 2017 at 11:58 am

I hope you enjoy it when you give a try, Edwina! I’d love to hear what you think.

Mrs-S February 26, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Recipe Rating:

We had this tonight and it was so good.The dressing was delicious. I could find a million things to pour it on .

Angela Liddon February 27, 2017 at 11:37 am

I love how versatile this dressing is! Have fun ;)

Erika July 10, 2017 at 7:30 am
Recipe Rating:

I love how easy this was to prepare :) soaking the cashews took some foresight but mmm, that dressing is love! :) i added some crumbled vegan kale chips and cherry tomatoes to my bowl! So many possibilities.

Sophia August 24, 2017 at 6:59 am
Recipe Rating:

Added quinoa to this and it was very tasty and very very filling. Felt like a bowl of goodness!

Tara December 2, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is one of my top favorite recipes from this blog. The sauce is critical – well really all elements of the recipe are key. And, word to the wise (I learnt from experience) – do not use bottled lemon juice in the sauce. Only fresh squeezed lemons. It makes a huge difference between addictively delicious meal you will happily eat for breakfast lunch and dinner, and slightly bitter not as exciting meal. I’ve made this at least 3 x over the years (a big deal for me as I usually don’t repeat recipes). Also a note for those who don’t love cauliflower / broccoli – this is the recipe that changed my mind.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2017 at 8:04 am

You are so right about the sauce…it’s really what makes me come back to this recipe over and over. So happy you enjoy it so much, Tara!

Allie December 21, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Recipe Rating:

This was really good- so tasty and very filling!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2017 at 3:38 pm

So glad you loved it Allie! Thanks for your review!

Steve May 16, 2018 at 9:51 am
Recipe Rating:

This is definitely one of my favorite dishes, soo so good.

Question though: How long do you think the left over dressing would last (covered/refrigerated)? I’m bad at these things… :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2018 at 6:57 am

Hi Steve, It should keep for 5 to 7 days in an airtight container. Hope this helps!