Chia Fresca: A Natural Energy Drink!

chiafresca-2397

Excuse me, but I must ask you what you are drinking? I’ve never seen anything like it before!

Those are the kinds of questions a girl gets asked when she’s toting this drink to a spin class. You get stares, sideways looks, and nervous smiles. The people out there are curious and they need to know that you aren’t drinking little black bugs. They need to be able to sleep at night. For goodness sake, tell them what you are drinking so they can get back to their workout!

So I tell them with a big smile, Chia bugs. Then there’s an awkward pause and even more confusion.

Ok, ok, it’s actually a healthy beverage called Chia Fresca which has been a popular drink in Mexico and Central America for many years. I’m sure many of you have heard of it before or even made it yourself. It’s made up of water, chia seeds, lemon or lime juice, and sweetener.

When chia seeds are soaked in water a gelatinous coating forms around the seed very similar to a tomato seed. This makes it very easy to swallow so the seeds don’t get stuck in your throat. Chia Fresca probably isn’t for people with texture issues (cough, cough husband), but I’ll leave that up to your discretion. I recently brought it back into my life to get a boost of Omega-3 fatty acids in my diet. It’s so much more fun than drinking plain water! Plus, it’s a total conversation starter much like bringing a Green Monster into the work place. I know you’ve been there. Well, why not bring Chia Fresca and show them just how crazy you can really be?

chiafresca-2403

Here’s a quick refresher on chia seeds:

• Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seed
  • Chia seeds do not need to be ground to be absorbed by the body and they can be stored for long periods of time without going rancid
  • They help with hydration due to their ability to absorb up to 9-10 times their weight in water
  • Chia seeds also contain fibre, protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc among many other nutrients
  • Chia seeds like to get stuck in your teeth. You were warned.

Chia Fresca is said to boost energy levels too. I’m not really sure if it boosts my energy or not, but I sure feel happy and hydrated when I drink it. When I have some on hand, I like to pair it with coconut water for a natural potassium boost after a tough workout, but water is just fine too.

Edited to add: Some of you were asking me about the thickness of this drink so I thought I would add a few words on this. I wouldn’t say it has a smoothie-like texture, but it’s more like a water consistency just with a whole slew of gel-y seeds in it. Does that make any sense? You just have to try it for yourself. My guess is you will either love it or hate it.

chiafresca-2414

Chia Fresca

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients:

• 2 cups water or coconut water
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
  • Sweetener, to taste (I like 1/2 tbsp maple syrup)

1. Add chia and water into a jar or glass and stir very well to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up. I like to use a jar with a lid so I can shake it up really well and break up the clumps of chia.

2. Add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste. Stir (or shake) well to combine and enjoy!

For nutritional info, see here.

Note: Chia seeds will sink and collect at the bottom of the glass quickly. Give it a good stir as needed.

chiafresca-2408

Wishing you a very happy (and hydrated) weekend!!

1 Shannon March 1, 2013

Ouu, this definitely looks interesting! Can’t wait to garner some stares at the gym later today with this mix :)

2 Melissa March 1, 2013

I love this stuff–around here, we call it iskiate, which is the Tarahumara word for it. Runners are nuts for it, after it got so much love in _Born to Run_. And it’s just plain delcious!

3 Kim @ Cooking in the City March 1, 2013

I like this idea! It would be great after a long run in the summer. Do you think you could put this together and leave it in the fridge- like overnight- and just reshake or do you think it would get gross?

4 Angela March 1, 2013

I think it should be fine! Let me know how it goes. :)

5 Patricia March 1, 2013

I did this just yesterday with my juice! I made it in one of those drink-box tupperware containers the night before and drank it with my lunch. Bonus – the juicebox has a straw, so I didn’t waste any of the chia goodness by getting it straight from the bottom.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2013

Love that idea :) Thanks for sharing!

7 Lorraine Tutte March 7, 2013

I,ve been using Chia seeds for about a month in my green smoothies and I always make way to much so it does sit in fridge until next day. No problem.

8 Chris March 6, 2013

I keep soaked chia seeds in my fridge. I add them to smoothies and oatmeal etc. I love them and I’m trying this water!

9 kclea March 1, 2013

LOVE this! I remember this from Christopher McDougall’s “Born to Run” and always meant to try it. Thanks for the reminder; soon I’ll be happily toting my chia bug beverage to the gym, too :)

Best!

10 Tiffany March 1, 2013

Hi Angela. It’s interesting that you post this because I’ve just started drinking something similar after visiting Lyfe Kitchen in Palo Alto CA last weekend, and am loving it. Another idea to add to the mix…ginger juice (grate some ginger and squeeze out the juice and add).

11 Danielle March 1, 2013

Tiffany,
YES! I get that frequently at Lyfe too! It’s one of the ‘cooler’ drinks. Love your ginger idea!
Danielle

12 Angela March 1, 2013

That sounds great too. I’ll have to try that out!

13 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 1, 2013

Palo Alto is right by me, I’ll have to check out Lyfe, thanks for sharing!

14 Mary March 1, 2013

I just bought some chia seeds and haven’t had a clue what to do with them. I will try this, thanks!

15 Karen D. March 3, 2013

Throw a spoonful of chia seeds into oatmeal – they swell up and make your oatmeal fluffy and voluminous. Also add chia seeds to homemade granola or granola bars.

16 Lindy March 3, 2013

Make endurance crackers or basic oatbars from this website. Top your salads with chia seeds. Make overnight oats in the fridge and add a tablespoon or two of chia to those. The question, really, is what can’t you do with chia!!?

17 Sabrina March 7, 2013

I use chia seeds to make a berry pudding for dessert:

1 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp coconut milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp maple syrup (agave, honey, etc.)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Mix chia seeds and coconut milk and place in fridge over night or at least an hour.

Place all ingredients in blender/food processor and blend. Serve immediately with blueberries and a little coconut milk poured on top.

Lately I’ve been using mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries). It’s a great alternative to sugar filled ice cream that I usually crave late at night.

18 Amber January 2, 2014

I can’t wait to try this for dessert tonight- thanks!

19 Penny October 15, 2013

I mix Chia seeds with Nutella and put on toast. Fills me up and energizes me!

20 Betty Fisher October 25, 2014

I tried that Nutella once. before I read the label of contents. It’s a sugar high – delicious till you read the label. I put it back where I found it.

21 Krista February 29, 2016

It’s still delicious after you read the label…

22 Sarah L. March 1, 2013

Not gonna lie…this looks totally weird. But I’d be willing to give it a try! I can use all the extra hydration I can get!

23 Elizabeth Pree March 1, 2013

I’m in LOVE! I just started using chai seeds in…everything, and I’m hooked. Running to the store for limes right now!

24 Chelsea March 1, 2013

This looks awesome! I love chia seed kombucha, but it’s $4 a bottle. This would be a great alternative. Thanks. :)

25 Ginger March 1, 2013

This looks super interesting! Do you happen to know how long chia seeds will keep in a cool, dry cupboard? I have had mine for a year…possibly longer! Eek!

26 Meg March 25, 2013

Chia Seeds will last at least 5 Years…

27 jerry January 10, 2014

i grind SOME chia and flax seed in my coffee grinder with turmeric powder and cayenne pepper then shake it over my steamed veggies and add liberal amount of olive oil. now i heard that chia seeds eaten without lots of water will leach moisture out of the body and cause dehydration. is this true?

28 Twanda March 5, 2016

I just started using chia seeds I had,with warm water and lemon can I have with cereal or but in coffee

29 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 1, 2013

I’ve never heard of this but now I really want to try it! I think I’ll give it a try this weekend- while at home in case I end up with them all over my teeth.

And I can definitely see why people think there are bugs in your drink…cause I kind of thought it at first.

30 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 1, 2013

Oh girl…you are more brave than I am! I eat chia seeds every day, usually in my oatmeal or sometimes I’ll just straight up do a “chia shot” and down 1 tbsp with a swig of water but I cannot do the whole “pudding” or “gel-drink” thing. It’s a texture thing and when I tried it, I almost gagged! LOL Hats off to you for being able to do that! I know, I’m a wimp!

31 Angela March 1, 2013

heh that sounds like my husband…to each their own, right?

32 Corinne March 15, 2013

I had similar feelings, I tried some kind of breakfast pudding thing(mixed with almond milk) from another website and I DID gagged when I tried to eat it, the texture was horrifying! However after it sat and got closer to room temperature it wasn’t as goopy and I was able to eat (really drink) it. So maybe trying that route might help. For now I just mix them in everything else.

33 Savory over Sweet April 17, 2013

I’m in the straight up “chia shot” club. I figure those little suckers can gel up in my tummy. Should still get the benefits…..right?

34 Anna-Mara March 23, 2013

I found that if I drank it through a straw I could swallow it better than having it fill up my whole mouth. I liked it better with a bit more lemon juice added.

35 janet @ the taste space March 1, 2013

Gorgeous, Ange. I love its simplicity. :)

36 Olya March 1, 2013

That is just what I’ve been looking for! I’ve been adding chia to my occasional smoothies but was perplexed as to how to include it in my daily life. Thanks!

37 Ashley March 1, 2013

I cannot wait to make this and freak out my co-workers! I bet it would be so good with coconut water.

38 Ashley March 1, 2013

Also, is that picture on top a glass bottle?? Where can I get one of those?

39 Angela March 1, 2013

I think it’s from Crate and Barrel…got it on a sale rack if I remember correctly. Not sure if they still stock them or not.

40 Katy @katyskitchen March 1, 2013

I like this, nice and refreshing for those warmer temperatures we’ve been getting. I’m wondering, is it thick like a smoothie? Or more like drinking water or juice?

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

It has more of a water texture (of course with gel-y seeds) :)

42 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 1, 2013

I have consistently heard such great things about chia seeds and their health benefits. Thanks for providing an idea of how to incorporate these into one’s diet!

43 Nancy March 1, 2013

I can see why you may get the weird looks – it’s soooo … “cool” looking. I kind of want to steal my co-workers chia seeds and try it out right now.

44 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 1, 2013

I love chia. I love chia puddings. But the drinks… I try. They are hard to drink because I don’t know whether to chew or swallow. LOL!

45 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 1, 2013

Neat! This sounds like a fabulous idea.

46 Andrea @ Vegvacious March 1, 2013

I’ve tried it many times, I really, REALLY want to like it, but I just can’t do it! The texture gets me everytime :)

I can just imagine the looks you get at the gym LOL but little do they know how much healthy goodness you are treating your body to!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

Well you can’t blame a girl for trying ;) It’s definitely not for everyone! hah

48 Terra March 1, 2013

I love your blog. I do not love the look of that drink. I don’t think I could do it! :)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

I double dare you. hah…sorry couldn’t resist.

50 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} March 1, 2013

Suuuuch beautiful photos. Love!

51 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 1, 2013

I LOVE chia!! This is something I must try as soon as I return home from all of this traveling :)

52 Erin @ The Grass Skirt March 1, 2013

I’ve been the girl with chia seeds stuck in her teeth far too many times, but I’m trying this nonetheless. :)

53 Shannon March 1, 2013

Have you heard/ read the book Born to Run? They describe the drink that ancient indians from Mexico used to make for their runners (great book. kind of evolution of distance running) that would revitalize them and keep them going for many more miles once they were exhausted. Years later people realized that they were basically feeding them this drink. I don’t remember the details, but it was essentially a chia seed drink that they relied on to run hundreds of miles. Also, good on you for being a Canadian vegan chef and discovering the secrets of the Tarahumara tribe :)

cool fun fact for the day

54 Shundara@ SavyNaturalista March 1, 2013

I just love, love, love this!!! It reminds me of a healthier version of boboa!!!!

55 scissors and spice March 1, 2013

I love chia seeds, but have never had them in just water before. I will have to try it!

56 Ali March 1, 2013

Oh, the texture! I don’t think I could do it! I LOVE this idea but I am a texture issue person. Do you think soaking and then throwing them into the Vitamix to reduce the…bumpiness…might help? I’m chronically dehydrated due to a medication I have to take and I’m always looking for something to help! I do chias in my granola and oatmeal…love them and I have a ton!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

Hey Ali, you could certainly try blending up the seeds! I’m not sure how gel-y this would make the drink, but it’s always worth a try. And of course, add them into smoothies too. I also know some people who literally take a spoonful of the seeds (dry) followed by a bunch of water (for those with texture issues)

58 Toni April 4, 2013

You can use a coffee grinder to grind them up dry. It’s a method of using them as an egg replacement and works like a charm. I think in a large beverage they would be less “gooey” if that’s what you’re looking for too! :)

59 Holly G March 1, 2013

This is great! I have a whole jar of Salba that I need to use up, which is supposed to be similar to chia. Could I use that instead do you think?

60 Sara March 1, 2013

I usually put it in smoothies and oatmeal. I will be trying this next. I am not a fan of lemon or lime,but I am going to try it!

61 Sarah March 1, 2013

I am so glad you posted this! A few months ago I saw someone drinking this and I have been wondering what it was ever since, it was driving me crazy! Now I finally know, and am kind of upset I never asked her, because this sounds amazing.

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2013

Hope you enjoy it Sarah!

63 Audrey March 1, 2013

Gorgeous photography!

64 Sonia the Mexigarian March 1, 2013

I drink this every so often. Nice change of pace from regular ol water :) Though it never looked as good as your photos. My chias either clump at the top or at the bottom. lol.

65 Fit Missy March 1, 2013

This really caught my eye!
Thanks for sharing.

66 rae March 1, 2013

oh i have got to try this! i buy those mama chia drinks all the time and i LOVE them. But they are so sweet.

67 Diane March 1, 2013

I’m sipping on this right now and its so good! Love lime anything so this is win win!

68 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} March 1, 2013

Great idea to make this drink at home, never even crossed my mind. I get the Mama Chia drinks at Wegmans and they are delicious. The description is perfect; water with gel-y seeds is exactly what it is!

The photos are gorgeous by the way :)

69 Dana March 1, 2013

Love this!! I will be trying it for sure. Can you also tell me where you got your bottle from?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2013

I think it’s from Crate and Barrel (on a sale rack), but not 100% sure.

71 Sonal March 1, 2013

This looks so intriguing!!! :) I love chia seeds so will definitely be drinking them soon !

72 Judy Anderson April 8, 2013

My favorite way to have Chia seeds is to put a good tablespoon full in a large glass of unsweetened Almond Milk, stir, let sit in the fridge for 15 minutes, stir it again and enjoy. Voila!!

73 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 1, 2013

Coolest.images.ever.

Nuff said. :)

74 Andrea March 1, 2013

Do you remember Orbitz? That drink with the tapioca balls from the 90s? This reminds me of that drink! I find it so hard to stayed hydrated in the winter…I find water so blah. I’ve been drinking water with lemon a lot, but I will have to try this for sure. Thanks!

75 Lizzie March 2, 2013

Haha you are my twin. I was just thinking the exact thing… it reminds me of orbitz!

I also struggle with hydration, especially in the winter. I’ve been filling up a jug of water and putting two bags of decaf green tea in to steep for a while. I find it a lot more tasty than plain water. When I added chia seed to my glass today they all sunk to the bottom and stuck together like frog eggs. Not a good mental image but it tasted good once I got over that.

76 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 1, 2013

Ok Ange, now you’ve got me curious about trying this!! I have heaps of chia seeds but haven’t been using them lately because I haven’t been drinking as many smoothies (darn cold weather!!) Now I have a new use for them! The jelliness sort of reminds me of that Asian aloe juice that you can get in the ethnic foods section of the grocery store. I haven’t tried that yet either, but I imagine the textures would be the same. Great idea for hydration!

77 ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli March 2, 2013

I was just going to comment that it reminds me of Aloe juice. I LOVE aloe juice but usually it has grape juice in it so I always keep in mind that it’s probably the grape juice flavour and sugar that I like haha but the texture is so cool!

78 Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com March 1, 2013

Looks interesting! I like chia so I bet I would like this. I’m not a huge fan of boba but any way to get a bit more omega 3’s in, I’ll try!

79 Stacey March 1, 2013

I just made this with fresh lemon and agave and it was the weirdest yet best thing ever haha! Thanks for a cool new idea :)

80 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 1, 2013

I think I’d really dig this because I love Mama Chia drinks, they are just so expensive!

81 Jessa March 1, 2013

I make these with 100% fruit juice! My usual favorite is a mix of Passionfruit, Orange, and Guava — 16 ounces of juice, 2 tablespoon of chia seeds. Use a jar with a lid, and shake it like mad. :D My husband calls it “swamp water.”

82 Vegan Radhika Sarohia March 2, 2013

This looks crazy! I will be trying it haha
[I doesn’t haz texture issues:p]

83 Vegan Radhika Sarohia March 2, 2013

In the pics it does kinda look like some little numerous black worms are swimming in there, but I’m Indian and a lot of Indian food looks totally weird yet is very delicious. So can’t judge on how things look, I don’t think :D

84 Amy March 2, 2013

I love it! Last weekend made a chia seed drink using my raspberry iced herb tea – delicious~~

85 amanda March 2, 2013

Ahhh… I love chia…. Thanks for the great idea! I didn’t have any lemon or lime, so I used the juice of a clementine and it was fantastic!

86 Cassandra March 2, 2013

Totally my favorite summertime drink! I am not a huge fan of stevia, but this is one application where I really like a few drops of the liquid. It mixes in so easily. Maybe I’ll actually want to whip up a chia fresca soon, if winter finally ends. :-)

87 Katrina March 2, 2013

How ironic! I just saw a recipe for chia fresca on my new package of chia seeds yesterday and had meant to look into it more. Now I don’t have to! Thanks!

88 Jaime March 2, 2013

I threw chia seeds into my ritual warm lemon water this morning. It was so good! Kinda like a bubble tea. Thanks for the idea :)

89 Anna March 2, 2013

I use the same ingredients but put them in the vitamix to make a “gel” for my athlete hubby to take for bike races. Same great benefits, no texture issues and you can use it with standard squeeze gel containers.

90 Erynn March 2, 2013

I just made this and it’s actually quite yummy! I was pleasantly surprised! I add chia seeds whenever I can so this is great! I am a big fan of green monsters too :)

91 Pamela March 2, 2013

What kind of chia seeds do you use?

92 Carolyn March 2, 2013

I read about this and tried it a few months ago. Didn’t add citrus though – that would be really “fresca!” I like the consistency of those little seeds. You can kind of crunch them in your teeth. And there’s no doubt they add great health benefits. Another interesting Mexican drink is Horchata. Their version of rice milk, with a sweet and spice twist!! I was hesitant to try it in San Diego at Cinco de Mayo in the Old Town, but the man beside me told me I just had to! Here is to embracing foods (and drinks) of the world!

93 Jeanne March 2, 2013

But if you do not chew them you won’t get the benefits of the seeds, right?
I have heard that they are like linseeds and will go through your system without being digested, if they are not ‘cracked’ open first.

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Hey Jeanne, Chia seeds don’t have to be ground to be absorbed (at least that’s the consensus I’ve read from multiple sources), so I would assume they don’t have to be chewed either (however making chewing movements while drinking things like smoothies apparently helps release digestive enzymes?) I’m not an expert on this, so it’s worth reading up more on if you so desire.

95 Anna March 2, 2013

I’ve heard that chia seeds (along with aloe) can also act as a natural detoxifier because the gelatinous-fun has a way of pulling things that are difficult to digest through your body. Anyone able to corroborate?

96 suzanne March 2, 2013

wow – this looks great Angela – a must try for sure!!!

97 Jenny March 2, 2013

I really enjoy your blog and I share much on my Pinterest. Thank for the inspiration striving to live a healthier life!
Cheers!

98 luv what you do March 2, 2013

I have never tried chia fresca but really want to make it! Thanks for this post!

Ps your pictures look so cool!

99 Amanda March 2, 2013

This sounds like something I’m willing to try. However, do the chia seed actually get digested and absorbed if you’re not chewing them to break them down? Flax seeds need to be ground or well-chewed to reap their benefits. Are chia seeds different?

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Hi Amanda, Yes chia seeds are different than flax – chia seeds don’t have to be ground to be absorbed. Another reason I use them more often than flax. They also have a longer shelf life.

101 Jade C March 2, 2013

Wow I love the idea of this and am going to try it soon!! I often have lemon-water ((my tea)) in the day but never thought of adding chia :) thanks!! Is it as refreshing as water, with the texture??

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Yes I find it very refreshing…esp with the lemon or lime and a bit of sweetener. I’m in love with it lately.

103 Barb March 2, 2013

Sound great during the summer when I over do it outside. I use Chia seeds in V-8 drink with hot sauce for breakfast drink. Just a side note if you haven’t used Chia seeds you might want to start with a small amount because it has lots of fiber and might cause a little discomfort.

104 Tanya @ playful and hungry March 2, 2013

it really looks kind of odd, but I bet it’s awesome for your energy level! I could need something like that right now!

105 Cindy March 2, 2013

I just stumbled upon your blog searching for a green smoothie recipe. Simple as that. Yet I found myself on it for hours… just looking at recipes and reading about how you keep yourself healthy. And I keep coming back to it, that’s how much I enjoy it :) You have yourself a subscriber. Thanks for all the useful information you give out. Looking forward to your cook book! I love all your recipes

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Welcome Cindy! Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

107 Kristina @Run and Assimilate March 2, 2013

I can’t wait to try this, I just started adding chia seeds to smoothies and yogurts, but this looks great!

108 Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian March 2, 2013

Oh I just love your gorgeous photos but I could never swallow that drink. I can’t even get a tiny tablet down without two whole glasses of water and a lot of eewwwing and gagging…

109 Martha March 2, 2013

I put chia seeds in lemondade to drink at school. One day, one of my students asked if I was drinking frog eggs!!!

110 Christina March 2, 2013

Hi Angela! I just have to say that these photographs are gorgeous!! I love following your blog and normally don’t comment but I had to take this opportunity to thank you for your inspiring, motivating and just plain lovely posts!!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Hi Christina, Well, thank you so much! I appreciate it and thanks for reading!

112 Fashion-isha March 2, 2013

Oh! This is so new and cool to me. I need all the help I can get with energy and I am putting chia seeds on my shopping list right now.

Love your blog!
xo
Sharon

113 Andrea March 2, 2013

I LOVE chia kombucha, so I know I will love this. It will be much cheaper, too :)

114 Candy March 2, 2013

I love it. A great way to get some chia seeds into the diet!! Keep the great ideas coming! An inspiration to us all.

115 Colleen (www.fresh-you.com) March 3, 2013

You make it look so pretty! And I love your name “chia bugs”!! You mentioned some awesome benefits, and I have a post on chia too that I’d like to share :) http://fresh-you.blogspot.com/2012/05/chia-seeds-energy-food-of-aztecs.html Happy Sunday!

116 Helga March 3, 2013

this sounds so simple, but i haven’t thought of it before…
thank your for bringing it up.
I just had some chia water with freshly squeezed blood orange juice :D

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

OJ sounds fab!

118 McKel | Nutrition Stripped March 3, 2013

I love having chia seeds in this simple and refreshing way. Especially with fresh fruit juice (lime, lemon, grapefruit, etc.). Thanks for sharing :)

119 Sarah March 3, 2013

I tried it last night with lime juice and didn’t mind the texture at all. I found the lime juice made it taste a little medicine-y so I’m trying it with just water and chia today!

120 dana March 3, 2013

I’m excited to try this! Do you think it be ok to use ground chia seeds? I happen to have a bag that someone gave me and other than adding them to bread they aren’t being used much… Otherwise I have whole seeds too but I use them for oatmeal etc. Hmmm also do you know if the ground seeds lose much of their nutrients? Maybe using ground would defeat the benefits of this drink!?

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

I think using ground chia seeds might turn out very gritty – but that’s just my guess. Let me know if you try it!

122 Kelsey March 3, 2013

Where is the glass water bottle from? I love it! and this idea!

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2013

I think it’s from Crate and Barrel :)

124 Sharon Vincello March 3, 2013

I have been drinking this non-stop since you posted this! It tastes great and is an easy way to consume chia seeds and get those great benefits of the slimy lil seed. Thank you a million times!

125 Janel Gradowski March 3, 2013

I will definitely be trying this soon. I have been looking for something refreshing to sip on in the afternoons while I write. The texture sounds fun to me and I think lime with coconut water would be divine. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

126 Madeline March 3, 2013

tried this yesterday…SO good and refreshing!

127 Laurie March 3, 2013

People should be warned that chia seeds lower your blood Pressure, and should not be taken if you already have low blood pressure. I am a distance runner and have very low blood pressure, and I started to add chia seeds to my smoothie every morning and I blacked out twice before I realized what was causing it.

128 kendra March 3, 2013

Nope nope nope nope. Lol. Definite texture issues here.

129 Samantha March 4, 2013

Not only is chai a superfood for humans- it’s a superfood for dogs! It comforts their tummy, makes their coat shiny from omega 3’s and is a great source of protein. Who new chia pudding was good for me and my furry friend :) Just thought it was interesting to share!! Thanks for the great recipe!

130 Kelly March 4, 2013

Just found your site thanks to a friend and I’m in love already! This is awesome! I bought a big jar of chia seeds and haven’t had a clue what to do with them. Just embarking on a get fit, weightloss regime and this drink looks perfect! It kinda looks like a bubble tea which I love. I’m making it tomorrow after my workout! xx

131 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 4, 2013

I’ve seen those in Whole Foods!

132 TONYA March 4, 2013

This looks absolutely horrible. Yet I’m still considering trying it. I foresee myself having to fight my gag reflex because of the texture LOL

133 Andy March 4, 2013

I feel like this would be good with iced green tea!

134 Alexis @ Hummusapien March 4, 2013

I MUST make this. I love koombucha with chia but I’ve never considered adding it to good old water! I bet the fresh lemon juice makes it super fresh. Thanks for the fab idea!

135 Kathy March 4, 2013

So neat. I am willing to give this a try, but I don’t know if I can get past the thought of drinking “tadpole eggs”. LOL Really slimy looking, but I eat chia’s every day, just not in a beverage. Will give it a shot.

136 char eats greens March 4, 2013

I LOVE the photography for this!! Based on looks alone, I would gulp this up!! I was gonna ask if you gave them a toothy (read: chia seed) grin in spin class!

137 Babs March 4, 2013

I do love chia seeds, but I think I would fall into the hate-it camp. Although chia pudding isn’t bad.

138 Pamela March 4, 2013

Hi, Angela, I love your blog and love the look of this drink, however, the nutrients in chia seeds are not absorbed unless they’re ground or micro-sliced. If that doesn’t happen, either from your spice grinder beforehand or your teeth while you’re imbibing, all of chia’s nutrients are flushed, literally.

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2013

Hi Pamela, Everything I’ve read over the years says that chia seeds don’t have to be ground to be absorbed. Did you find this info somewhere? I’d be curious to read more on it.

140 Pamela March 5, 2013

Yes, actually just last week I was reviewing the book “The Aztec Diet: Chia Power” for a magazine I write for. The book’s author, Dr. Bob Arnot, says “If you buy the whole seeds, you should grind them in a coffee-bean or other grinder, as whole seeds tend to pass through the digestive system, and eat them right away so they don’t go rancid.” I found the same to be true of flax seeds, but perhaps chia is different. Hmmm. Anyway, I think they look way cooler whole as you have presented them. Reminds me of bubble tea.

141 Kayla March 6, 2013

I’ll just say that chia seeds go right through me (of you know what I mean). This makes me think that I’m not getting the full nutritional benefit and that next time I buy chia, I’ll buy ground. I think it is false, all those things we have read saying that they don’t need to be ground to be absorbed by the body.

142 Amy March 5, 2013

Thanks for this ! Sooo yummy. I tried your recipe and one without citrus or sweetner and i found i preferred it just water & chia!

143 B March 5, 2013

When we’re home, I add chia seeds to oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce, etc. for my daughter and me. But…sending her food to daycare is a different story. My daycare provider is amazing but doesn’t exactly understand some of things I send for my daughter. Chia water would send her over the edge!

144 Meagan March 5, 2013

I love making this, and the strange looks and comments at work just make it even better!

145 Persistence Over Perfection March 5, 2013

Wow, this looks really interesting – I’ll have to give it a try soon!

146 Jocelyne March 5, 2013

Absolutely love this stuff but I do have one question, Angela…I seem to have to pee excessively when I drink the chia and I’m wondering if this is a good or a bad thing. I’ve been drinking your chia fresca on a daily basis. Is it possible to have too much of a good thing?

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2013

Hi Jocelyne, Hmm I am not sure…maybe you are consuming more water than usual and just not realizing it? If it bothers you I suggest speaking with your doc about it.

148 Natalie March 6, 2013

Hi Angela,
now I have Chia seeds at home. I put them into water – like you suggested – I put them into my smoothie, my pudding… Is there a maximum of teasponns a day I should take?

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 6, 2013

I’m sorry but I’m not sure Natalie

150 Syd March 6, 2013

Hi there,
I couldn’t find an e-mail to send this to, but I thought I’d let you know I had a dream about your blog last night. I check your blog daily and since I do have vivid dreams, I’m not surprised.

In my dream, I checked your blog and you had a chia seed vanilla (vegan) milkshake posted. Thought you should know as I usually tell people I dream about them (unless it’s REALLY weird, in which case, I don’t)

Have a good day!! :)
Syd (from Halifax)

151 Kayla March 6, 2013

I donated blood today and so I just made this because I need to sty extra hydrated. I did honey instead of maple syrup and some lemon juice . Really refreshing!

152 Laurie March 6, 2013

Hmm, I just made my first batch and my chia seeds aren’t evenly distributed/suspended like in the photo. I used lemon juice, filtered water, the seeds, and a bit of sweetener. It’s been ‘brewing’ for about an hour, and I shake it every 10 min. or so. About 2/3 of the seeds are floating at the top, the rest are still at the bottom of the pitcher. Is it ‘done’ when all the seeds have floated to the top?

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2013

Hi Laurie, This sounds normal – the chia seeds can float or sink. For my photos I gave it a good stir right before shooting. 10 mins is plenty to soak in my experience. enjoy!

154 Kate March 6, 2013

This is one of those rare times when I see an OSG recipe I don’t have to take a trip to the grocery store for :) I had everything on hand and made it right away!
I LOVED the chia fresca. The texture doesn’t bother me…just let everything wash over your palate. And, I actually think I preferred the second version I made, which was without lemon juice and sweetener. Just straight-up water + chia does it for me.

155 Diane March 7, 2013

my daughter and I always add chia seeds to our fruit smoothies. Love it!!

156 Monica @ Model Chef March 8, 2013

I always buy the drinks with chai seeds already in them, but I’ve never made my own. Seems easy enough…thank you!

157 Bek @ Crave March 9, 2013

I’m not usually a texture person as you say but I’m not sure if I could drink this haha

158 Silvia March 9, 2013

OK. My eyes bugged out reading this. How cool! I was already in bed, exhausted and cozy warm while reading blogs but I this MADE me rush downstairs to the kitchen ! It is pretty neat! Yeah, there’s clumpiness but I sooooooo love the texture of this beverage! How awesome! I’ll try making a cherry-chia drink next. Thanks for all your great work!! Silvia

159 Yolan E March 10, 2013

Chia drink sounds interesting. Does it feel weird to drink since it’s all little seeds?

160 Jami March 10, 2013

Love this with pineapple coconut water. I drank it everyday since I read the article. I even made on and gave it to a friend of mine! She loved it as well. Thanks. BTW…I always make mine the night before and it works great!!!!

Thanks!!! :)

Jami

161 Jessica March 11, 2013

The drink looks so strange, but at the same time I am very curious to try it out. Thank you for the post.

162 Kristi March 11, 2013

Making this right now! So excited to try it! :)

163 Marleen S. March 11, 2013

Your blog is so adoreable! I simply love it. Just bought Chia seeds, will make the Chia Fresca as my post-run drink tomorrow. I am obsessed with your cookie dough ball recipe..added it to vanilla ice cream…oh.my. best ice cream ever. So glad I found your blog, I follow many, but all I can say is – yours is the best!

164 Marcus March 12, 2013

I will definitely have to try this. A friend of mine just came down from the Dominican Republic and specifically made a large purchase of Chia seeds before going home; I never realized that this country was a large exporter of chia seeds! Looks like I will have to go down to the local agroshopping this week and take advantage of that :)

165 Kelsey March 12, 2013

I made this today — with stevia for my sweetener. It is so so yummy! …but my husband said he thinks I don’t know how to drink it yet — I guess I have trouble knowing whether its liquid or solid, lol!

166 Jessica l Food Wine Fashion March 12, 2013

I drink chia fresca everyday, and I have to say that besides all of the other health benefits I definitely feel an energy boost. I have even began skipping my morning coffee (some days). However, I do get bored with it once and a while so sometimes I switch out the lemon/lime juice and sweetener and go half and half with water and grapefruit juice/OJ. Also, I’ve found if you can’t handle the texture, you can reduce the amount of liquid and the seeds will create a gel (think Gu Gel) with the same benefits.

xxoo – jessica

167 Rachel March 13, 2013

I used to work at a natural foods store and we sold kombucha with chia seeds in it. When people asked, we likened the texture/consistency to “drinking tomato innards”. I loved it, but some people can’t handle the sliminess.

168 Lora March 13, 2013

My boss and I just stumbled on this from pinterest and immediately made it. We both find it delicious with a little lemon juice! Love your blog too :)

xoxo Lorelai

169 lital peled March 14, 2013

thanks for a great idea for a drink !!
that’s my new “go-to” drink in the last few days. i make mine with some lemon and whole, frozen raspberries.

BTW- cheers on your blog from an Israeli follower. i have been reading your blog for two years now and have used so many recipes and ideas in my everyday cooking.

170 BND March 14, 2013

What a great drink–thanks for sharing! For a variation, instead of water, I tried both Fresca (don’t have to add any sweetner) and sparkling water–both turned out great. I also made a chia seed “concentrate” where I added the 1.5 TBSP of seeds to only one cup of water, stored it in a jar, then added the seed mixture to sparkling water.

171 Laura March 14, 2013

Yay I’m so glad you posted this! I love the chia seed kombucha drinks by Synergy and always wondered how you get the seeds to not turn into a pudding! Plus this is wayyy cheaper than buying it pre-made! Thank you!!

172 Deena March 14, 2013

Hi Angela!
Can I ask you where you buy your chia seeds? I’ve been tring to get them in bulk but just don’t know where to get them and where the best deals are.
Thanks
Love your blog!!!!!!!!!

173 Chris March 14, 2013

I love the tip about adding maple syrup as a sweetner. I’d never thought of that but now really want to try it. I’m just curious if you’ve ever had any luck baking with Chia? I’ve rad you can used seeds that have been soaked to replace about half the recipe’s fats but every every time I’ve tried it’s been a total failure. Maybe it’s just not meant to be.

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2013

I’ve had some baking flops with chia too – the problem is that they tend to absorb a lot of water and can make baked goods very dense in large quantities. I think the key is starting with a small amount or ust sprinkling them on top. Also, I try not to bake them at high temps – usually nothing over 350F

175 angela March 18, 2013

I hate pulpy orange juice but i LOVE this! I don’t usually have texture issues (with the exception of that o.j. pulp!) so i thought I’d give this a try and it was great :) Actually, i was sort of playing around with the little jelly seeds in my mouth!

…now, if I can just get my husband to try this…(instead of the gas-station energy drinks he buys)

176 Lisa Cole March 18, 2013

Love your website – my son and I tried the drink – it isn’t that bad and I felt pretty good afterwards – thanks!

177 Emese March 18, 2013

I tried this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. Made me full and kept hunger at bay for a few hours. Will use this more often.

178 Perry March 19, 2013

These look awesome! I love that they can stick in my teeth so that I can crunch on them for hours! As they can absorb a lot of water, can they also work as an appetite suppressant? This is very enticing.

179 Leigh March 19, 2013

I love chia seeds, too. However, be sure to note that they can lower blood pressure & are good for moving your meal along (sometimes too good). If you have low blood pressure, as I do, be sure to start out slow. My body can only tolerate about 1/2 of a teaspoon of seeds before I feel ill-effects from it (ie. greatly reduced energy levels). Also, my husband can only take about the same or he is running to the powder room. They are great, but caution should be taken when first introducing these into your diet. Happy eating & drinking!

180 Frankie March 20, 2013

I love your website!!! I’m pregnant and on bedrest, so I was perusing the Internet as I do,and happened upon your website a week ago and have been steadily reading all of the posts from the beginning ever since. Talk about mad pregnancy cravings! Can’t wait until i can freely make it to the kitchen again.

Heads up though, I was searching for your crate and barrel water bottle on the Internet and found a recall. I don’t know if you care, or if it’s the correct product, but I thought I would let you know: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2010/Crate-and-Barrel-Recalls-Glass-Water-Bottles-Due-to-Laceration-Hazard/

Cheers!

181 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2013

Oh gosh, thanks or letting me know!

182 Chia Lovers March 21, 2013

I’ve never seen anything like this before, and since I’m a Chia lover and love lemons too I would definitely try this today!!! I really like the idea. Thank you very much for sharing!

183 Alison March 22, 2013

What a great idea! I was wondering if i makes this with ground chia seeds and put it in a metal water bottle, will the chia stick to the sides?

184 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2013

Hi Alison, I haven’t tried it with ground chia…I don’t think it would have the same consistency as the seeds.

185 Avery March 25, 2013

This looks so refreshing! It is very intriguing, can not wait to try it :)
Where did you learn about this drink originally?
& how long can it last after being prepared before it becomes less than savory?
Gah so cool!

186 Nancy March 25, 2013

Tried it today love it my only question is can you have too much Chia seeds? I drank it all day and I have it my smoothie as well as in some homemade energy balls I found on Pinterest. Can too much have an effect??

187 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hi Nancy, I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1224-CHIA.aspx?activeIngredientId=1224&activeIngredientName=CHIA (click on the side effects tab) I suggest researching it if it’s a concern and of course everything in moderation. :)

188 Shoba Shrinivasan March 27, 2013

Hi Angela,

I have recently started drinking chia seeds along with water and a little lemon juice and honey and I have to promise it does get to me, but then I patiently keep telling myself..Its good for ya…Its good for ya…Did you know that people in ancient India also used it as a kind of an ingredient in a dessert? I guess they cleverly realised that when combined with ice creams and sweets, one does not really mind the glutenous texture! They also have the tendency to hold on to the water content and gives you a full feeling. I am planning to make some kind of a “kheer” with it soon!
SHobha

189 Steph March 28, 2013

How is it as a gym drink? Cause I like my water during a good workout. Does it’s still have the water quench, just gellier?

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2013

It’s really an anytime drink – but yes it’s like water but with tiny gel-y seeds in it. :)

191 Susan April 4, 2013

And you don’t have to pay $4 a bottle for it!

192 Toni April 7, 2013

I love that you posted this!!! I make my own versions just like yours and then some!! I use cold brewed tea, flavored extracts and a drop or two of stevia for different versions of mine!!! It’s becoming a staple for me!!! Kudos to you and all of the inspiration you send us!! :)

193 Jaycie April 10, 2013

Thank you for this post! I love the Cherry Chia kombucha drink and have been wondering if I could make something close to it at home for a lot cheaper. I think I’ll try making this and adding a little lime and cherry juices to it. Also, I finally made coconut whipped cream last night after having the can of coconut milk in my fridge since October and now I am in love. Have had it mixed with some fresh berries for the past few nights . . . and the next few nights. Thanks for all of your recipes and information!

194 Madeleine April 14, 2013

I love this drink! I’ve started adding fresh ginger, about 1 tsp, and it makes it so that there’s no need to add the sweetener! Definitely nice having a straight foreword and easy way to eat chia (and all the nutrients that come with it).

195 Susan Fairfield King April 15, 2013

Wahla! Finally a drink that helps me to like coconut water. Your drink looked awesome, so I tried it right away. Used the 2 cups c.w. and 1 and a half chia seeds then a whole juiced lemon and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Threw it in the freezer for ten minutes and drank it down, after shaking each time before a couple of big sips. Excellent!

196 Avril Eastwood April 20, 2013

Thank you again for another brilliant idea. Texture issues I have. But I can drink this. I haven’t tried it with water yet but love it with coconut water and the lime. Really refreshing ans a great start to my day. Thank you Angela :) May the sun always shine down on you.

197 mario April 20, 2013

hi angela, love your site, its been my homepage for months now, but from today, for the next 10 days im only gonna eat recipes from your site. Good luck to meeee!!

198 Madeline Rodriguez April 21, 2013

Hi! greeting from Mexico!
Gotta say Chia is very popular here in Mexico, but here we mix it with “flor de jamaica” (hibiscus in english, I think so :P).

The only thing you gotta do is get dried hibiscus flower, wash it and pour it in water and bring it to a boil. After that you are going to get hibiscus concentrate. Add water and sweetener to taste(but no to much) because you are going to mix it with you Chia Fresca.
“flor de jamaica” is well known for its diuretic effects and is always present in Mexican diets.

199 Lyn A April 25, 2013

This looks fantastic, I add Chia to everything and make Chia gel but had never thought of using less seeds and making it a drink. Off to the kitchen right now.

200 Debora May 1, 2013

Do you have any suggestions on where to get chia seeds for a reasonable price? I’m a student so as you can imagine I have a tight budget. Thanks!

201 Angela June 24, 2013

I found a decent amount this weekend at Trader Joe’s for like $5. Hope that helps!

202 Serena May 5, 2013

Do you use black or white Chia seeds? xx

203 lisa marino May 9, 2013

It does take a little getting used to! I love chia seeds and put them on everything! Thanks for the amazing blog!

204 Michelle May 13, 2013

Tried this today with ginger juice for an extra little kick. Gave the boost I needed to keep myself from nodding off at work on such a gloomy day. I didn’t use sweetener, as I enjoy the spice of ginger and tartness of lemon.

I discovered how to juice ginger by accident this winter when a root froze after leaving it in my car. When it thawed I just squeezed it and juice came out.

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2013

Cool trick!

206 Dawn May 18, 2013

My friend (her family is originally from mexico) likes to make it with iced hibiscus flower (jamaica) tea. It’s yummy!

207 Katie May 20, 2013

Thank-you so much for this recipe! I take it to work everyday as a mid-afternon pick me up :)

208 Laura May 30, 2013

I have a sweet spot for bubble tea made with (nutritionally deficient) tapioca… but, to my suprise, this is even better! I made it this morning with chilled green tea, stevia and fresh squeezed lemon and LOVED IT! Thank you!!!

209 Renee June 17, 2013

I recently saw a recipe online for chai frescas like these but this recipe you add a pinch of cayenne pepper. You also presoak the seeds so I now have a bowl off crazy jelly in the fridge that is all ready to go and lasts really well. My husband and I have it in the morning and I tell ya it ‘s the best pick me up ever. My energy levels have improved do much since and I feel like I have a real spring in my step. The spicey pepper has also been helping my sinuses while I’ve had a cold lately. So glad I stumbled across the recipe ( and now this blog)
Can’t wait to try a sweetened version.

210 Renee June 17, 2013

I’ve just had a thought….. Chai vodka shots! When they’ve been soaked they’re that jelly-like that if you soaked them in a mix of, vodka, and some kind of sweetener or a nice tea or something they should set. You’d have to play around abit of course but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. The chai seeds would look cool too because once stirred they float throughout the jelly/drink. Will have to try and make them one day :)

211 Angela June 24, 2013

I tried my hand at this recipe this weekend, and it was a success – almost tasting like a weak lemonade :) I carry around a huge bottle of Deer Park with me daily and simply added the appropriate amount of Chia seeds, lemon slices and maple syrup. This will def become one of my staple drinks – thanks!

212 Treena July 7, 2013

This looks so tasty. How many times a day can a person drink this?

213 Nikki July 28, 2013

I love this ! Sometimes I like to sneak in a shot of tequila ;) great way to get your drink on and NOT get a hangover!

214 Joe August 4, 2013

Hey! I’m starting a chia FARM!

215 alison walker August 4, 2013

hello, i have a question. i’ve made a large batch of chia seeds. they are in water and have been in the fridge for a week now? i am trying to learn how long they can be consumed, as long as they are kept in the fridge… when do they go sour or expire or become not good to eat b/c too much time has passed? Thanks for your help!! Ali

216 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013

Hey Alison, I’m not exactly sure as I haven’t left them in the fridge for more than a couple days. I would guess as long as it doesn’t smell off then it should be fine.

217 M August 18, 2013

I usually add some lemon juice to water, but this is my new favorite! Even more delicious and more fun! :) especially the reactions you get when drinking it in public lol ;)

218 Karyn August 20, 2013

I just tried making this and nothing happened! :0(
Did I buy a dud bag of chia or do something wrong?

219 kristinm333 September 24, 2013

Hi Angela, Do you (or any readers) have any idea how long the chia seeds can live in liquid outside of the fridge? I left some out a day and a half then put them back in the fridge and I’m scared they’re ruined…

220 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2013

Hey there, I’m sorry I’m not sure how long they can stay out of the fridge for. I’ve heard you can sprout them, but not sure how that applies in this case.

221 kristinm333 September 24, 2013

Thanks Angela! Well, I ate them. They were even older than you might think (I didn’t tell the full story of their life). I ate em this morning and I feel line so far- ha ha! I’ll report to you if anything happens. Plus I’m pregnant, so…hope it’s okay! :)

222 sarah October 28, 2013

I drink them daily with water,honey and cinnamon. the gel absorbs the cinnamon so it doesn’t stay on top of the water. It frustrates me if I miss a day.

223 mrsdmk October 28, 2013

Can you use stevia as the sweetner? i like the way it looks and the concept so I am definatly making some plus I have both black and white chia seeds so maybe it will look even stranger bcause the white seeds wont be very visable!!!

224 Mary November 13, 2013

This is interesting, I made it today. The texture is different and you kind of feel like you want to chew but I enjoyed it. I drank just 1/2 a glass and I feel full. Will the rest keep in the fridge for a day? I’d like to keep drinking it and see how it helps with energy. I did have to add more water since it came out a bit thick. Thanks!

225 Kimberly Angel November 16, 2013

Last night I decided to try some chia fresca, and took it with me to an auction. I had it in a quart size canning jar complete with the lid. I drank it all while at the auction, and on the way home, my husband told me that the auctioneer’s son asked him if I was drinking moonshine! (smile)

226 Krysta Nunn November 18, 2013

I have been buying Mamma Chia for the past few weeks now, and then the other day I stumbled across your article, whilst trying to figure out a way to bulk order the drinks to save some money, and after a bit of research into some other recipes to make it taste more like Mamma Chia ( 3 tbl spoon chia seeds + 1 cup of water + 1 of your favorite juice) and a short trip to Whole foods, I’m now enjoying my own Chia juices from home at a much better price! Thanks so much for giving me the inspiration to make it at home!

227 Cheryl Mascari December 5, 2013

For a desert-like drink, I add chia seeds to my holiday coconut nogg. It makes it thicker and adds an eggy texture.

228 Amy Knudson December 31, 2013

I like making my own “soda” with real unsweetened cranberry juice, sparkling water and a squeeze of lime. This post gave me the idea to add chia seeds as well! I did try your recipe as well but without any sweetener. It was good, but I ended up adding cranberry juice just to give it a little more flavor while still avoiding the sugar. Love the detox recipes you posted. I will absolutely be giving those a try this new year!

229 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 1, 2014

This looks really interesting – never thiught about drinking chia seeds before.

230 Amber January 2, 2014

I absolutely love this drink! I’ve been having one every morning and it fills me up until I eat breakfast and it’s been keeping my digestive tract happy. Thanks for the great recipe, Angela!

231 Katia January 4, 2014

I tried some yesterday and I love it! I don’t use a sweetener but I love the lemon taste and I love the texture of the chia seeds. Today I’m hoping to make some VOO!

232 Colleen January 4, 2014

was VERY skeptical about the texture factor of this drink, but as i had a costco bag of chia seeds sitting on my counter i figured, why not give it a try! OMG – SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! it’s definitely not at all like the globby tapioca blobs in bubble tea that i had been anticipating. so refreshing, delicious and energizing! totally making this part of my regular routine! thanks!

233 Chantell January 13, 2014

I just bought some Chia seeds today I’m looking for ways to use them. I’m looking forward to trying this. Thanks!!!

234 Lilys January 20, 2014

I’m just getting back into running and have recently discovered chia seeds. I get strange looks at the park but I absolutely love the drink. I’ve also been adding them to my oatmeal. Any other chia-y ideas?

235 Jamie January 21, 2014

This little recipe caught my eye and I just couldn’t get it out of my head. Between the warm indoor heat and the frigid dry outdoors I am just getting so dehydrated. I gave this a try-and it is definitely a like it or hate it thing, but I feel and look more hydrated than I have in months.
It’s definitely going to become a staple for me. Thank you for posting it!

236 Han January 25, 2014

Yummmm, I just made this! I warmed up some frozen blueberries and added honey as a sweetener. It was like tea! Love it!

237 mel mccarthy February 6, 2014

Chia Fresca? Love it! Thanks for sharing such a great drink recipe! I’ve been growing chia as a microgreen too. Just in a little soil. They sprout like crazy and taste really unique, almost lemony like sorrel. P.S. Love your writing! You’re so funny & informative.

238 Yin February 19, 2014

I like to drink lemon with warm water in the morning – can I add chia seeds in warm water?

239 Rachelle February 25, 2014

Thanks for the post! This sounds so interesting. I just bought some Chia Seeds & can’t wait to see how I feel after it!

240 Anna February 26, 2014

I just tried this – I honestly thought I would hate it because I hate texture in anything I drink. BUT I put it in a regular glass and used a straw and it’s actually quite yummy!

241 jack March 6, 2014

“isn’t for people with texture issues (cough, cough husband)” this is a very sexiest assumption that all husbands don’t like a certain taste/ texture. Men and women have the same taste buds and there has never been any survey or study to prove that men and women prefer different foods. You should be ashamed to call your self a journalist

242 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2014

Jack, I was referring to my OWN husband with texture issues, not all men. Relax.

243 Tanya March 8, 2014

Just curious if you used white or black seeds. Or does it even matter? I was at the store and unsure of what to buy

244 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2014

You can use either type, doesn’t matter much!

245 Michelle March 16, 2014

I got an idea to mix chia seeds with water, lime and stevia and putting it in those Popsicle molds..I thought the icy texture might help with the texture of the gel like chia seeds,,,What do you think about this? Do you think it would be worth a try?

246 Karen Hummer April 12, 2014

I didn’t mind the texture at all – I really like it. I mixed it up with a Spark energy drink this morning (I don’t drink Spark often because of the sucralose, but today I had a all day workshop) and the healthy energy boost was great. :-)

247 Mollie Dickson April 17, 2014

First off, I am a huge fan of your work. Amazing recipes with stunning photography, but of course you probably hear that everyday! I am writing to request your permission to post your photo of the Chia Fresca. I am writing a blog post featuring Bob’s Red Mill’s Ancient Grains of Discovery, and I’m selecting one perfect recipe to go with each grain (something simple, healthy, and delicious). I would love to include the recipe title with link to your recipe (not reprinting recipe on my post), and a photo (with full credit of course). Do I have your permission to do so? Please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks so much!
Mollie

PS. I am Co-Founder of The Heart’s Kitchen, a company I started two years ago after working closely with Oregon Health & Science University and their research on maternal nutrition and fetal development (the strong link between what mom eats throughout pregnancy and her child’s lifelong health). I am so excited to now dedicate my energy to supporting women & children’s health, good food, and the beautiful art of cooking! I love your story and share a similar background that has led me to this work today.

248 Nicole April 21, 2014

I have trouble getting my chia seeds to stay suspended in a drink form like this. They always sink. Any tips?

249 Colette April 28, 2014

My husband’s response to me making this was hilarious! Going to give it a try for a pick me up after my morning run.

250 Linda June 2, 2014

I found if you drink it with a straw the texture is a non issue.

251 Jana June 9, 2014

hi,
absolutely love this drink. Made it and gave it to person who lives on energy drinks and sugar water and he would like to make that drink for him every day :) haha really amazing drink and so easy and funky to drink so slime :)

jana

252 Organic Chia Company June 25, 2014

I like to put mine in coconut water overnight so that the chia seeds have time to “come alive.” This is a healthy dose of omega-3s, the kind of “healthy fats” that keep you young and limber. Chia fresca for life!

253 Paula July 7, 2014

Delicious! I just tried it with aloe vera juice, also tastes good.

254 angel July 14, 2014

i actually do love it!! xD I love the texture. I added 1 packet of truvia as my sweetner and its really good! I like biting the seeds xD hahahaha give it a try

255 Oliver July 24, 2014

Just so you know, there are 3 main forms of Omega 3 (EPA, DHA, and ALA). In order for the body to make use of ALA, it needs to convert it to EPA and DHA. Conversion rates are extremely poor. 8% ALA turns to EPA and 0-8% turns to DHA. Chia seeds only have ALA so even though they have a lot of Omega 3, it’s the wrong kind and our body can’t process it very effectively.

If you’re looking for a good source of Omega 3, I’d stick with fish oil…

256 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2014

Algae oil is a great source of DHA – and it’s eco-friendly too. That’s where the fish get theirs from anyways.

257 Dave Maker August 2, 2014

Can I store a chia & water mix at room-temperature in a closed container? Or must I refrigerate it?

258 renee aguilar August 5, 2014

I have a problem with my intestines and have to stay away from seeds do these seeds disolve in your intestinal area?

259 chikibrainstorm September 4, 2014

Love this! Drink it every day. Thank you!

260 Angie McIntyre September 6, 2014

While I’lm late to your blog and this recipe, I must tell you how grateful I am! Chia fresca is now a staple in my refrigerator, keeping me and my loved ones hydrated in the hot Arizona desert. I’ve told several friends about my chia fresca find and have finally blogged about it too http://familyanswersfast.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/love-it-chia-fresca-food-fitness/ . Thank you and I look forward to reading more from you, Angela. Beautiful weekend to you and yours ❤

261 kiera September 7, 2014

where can you get these chia seed I looked at walmart and I seen different typed and even prices vary from $16-$130?

262 Erin October 10, 2014

I also like to make it with tea instead of water or coconut water. And it tastes wonderful!

263 Joanna October 23, 2014

Girl you crack me up so much. Love this post, I’m drinking my chia bugs right now…. so many in my teeth. I think I’ll just wait for my boss to walk in and give her a giant grin : O

You cookbook, and blog, have changed my life. Currently recovering from an eating disorder, and have been vegan/grain-free/dairy-free for 4 months. The change has been remarkable. Your recipes make me feel good, they make me happy, and they satisfy my salt and vinegar and chocolate cravings….. which come every 6 hours! If I’m this hormonal now, what will pregnancy be like… eek!

I always get a good giggle in reading your posts, and then remember not to take myself too seriously. It feels so good to be able to enjoy food and sweets again, not only NOT feeling guilty, but knowing I’m bringing variety and nourishment to my body!

Thanks for everything, enjoy your new little snuggle bud : ) she looks perfect and precious

Excuse me while I go eat another batch of those almond butter cups
J

264 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2014

Thanks for your sweet comment Joanna! I appreciate your kind words so much. All the best to you and your recovery! xo

265 Linda October 28, 2014

I try to stay away from seeds because of diverticulosis. Anyone know if chia seeds are safe enough?

266 Maggie November 22, 2014

Just started on chia seeds yesterday. I’m mixing them with almound milk bananas and blueberries for a smoothie its pretty good.

267 Tammy December 3, 2014

Can’t wait to try this. I make my own blend of multigrain flour and include a healthy portion of chia seed so I have it in my bread and muffins as well as pudding, oatmeal, and applesauce. Yum! :)

268 Marcia December 14, 2014

Substitute Hibiscus tea for the water. Great taste. Cinnamon can be added. Love drinking

269 Kayti Oriti January 23, 2015

Love this recipe! I do lemon juice, chia seeds, raw apple cider vinegar, and stevia. :))

270 Jen February 2, 2015

I love to make something very similar to this… The only difference is I add fresh pineapple juice instead of lemon/lime juice and then I omit the maple syrup. Delish!

271 Kendall Aus February 2, 2015

Thank you of introducing this to me! This drink is what got me through my long days prepping for and writing my exam.

272 Carolyn February 9, 2015

I make/drink homemade Chia seed drinks regularly. To avoid having to mix the seeds and them sinking, warm a cup of water then add the seeds and mix, put it in the refrigerator for the next day you will see the seeds have hydrated and have that wonderful gel surrounding them and will remain suspended in your drink. Add whatever other type of juice or coconut water you like to it. I use 1 cup of warm water to 3 Tbsp. of seeds this is good for 2 servings. So in the AM I’ll use 1/2 for my drink and 1/2 for my husbands and add whatever other liquid we’re in the mood for in a large sports bottle. Enjoy!!!

273 Caitlin March 16, 2015

I’d like to add that fiber is a serious draw to chia seeds too! 2 Tbsp. contains 12 grams of carbs, 11 of which are fiber! Seriously, blend those seeds into anything you want for added fiber… yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, etc.

274 Wendy March 18, 2015

I am in love with this drink. I’m going to make some for my son to take with his lunch. He will love it too.

275 Jenn March 26, 2015

Made this with mint leaves, lime and agave syrup. Love it! Only trouble is I had to fish out the mint leaves before drinking ;)

276 Justine March 28, 2015

Instead of sweetener, I add a single drop of a lively essential oil. My usual is grapefruit because it has great benefits including appetite suppressant so you should feel full even longer!

Without the citrus juice, the essential oil can be overwhelming but it’s a great pairing.

277 Tiffany March 31, 2015

Hi Angela,

I’m new to your blog and stumbled upon your blog because so many of your recipes are on pinterest. I’m doing a 2 week vegan challenge. I have to ask the bottle on your chia fresca recipe. Where did you get that bottle? It looks like such a cool glass jar/water bottle.

278 sandy April 24, 2015

Love Chia is so good , tasteless , and cheap 3 bucks one pound ^^

279 Wendy August 6, 2015

Hi, here’s how I love to have chia seeds. Brew fresh mint and in hot water and let cool, sometimes I use green tea too. In a jug I add lemon juice, organic apple cider vinegar, manuka honey and chia seeds to the tea. I have this as a warm drink first thing in the morning, and the rest I keep in the fridge to have as a cool drink during the day. :)

280 Gia Marie November 20, 2015

This sounds awesome. Thank you I will try. Plus I have tons of fresh mint still in my garden. Thanks again

281 Rosa October 8, 2015

Hey I just started drinking this!! I just have one questions how many cups can I have a day?

282 Keith November 8, 2015

Hey Great post…and comments….I use chia seeds in water bottles…..leave water bottles upside down at first/overnight so they don’t all gather by bottle cap……i add Blueberries and that Mio flavoring……will try syrup……..also you can just eat a handful……
what else is there to add besides Berries/Syrup

283 Gia Marie November 20, 2015

This was awesome, especially with my fave coconut water- Zico. I even have my 77 year old father drinking it so it’s definitively delicious. Thanks so much! Definitely a keeper recipe.

284 Ginamarie December 6, 2015

This was so good. I used Zico coconut water , fresh lime juice and maple syrup like you suggested. I’ve been saving and washing out my GT glass kombucha bottles and this recipe fits perfectly in them. I make a few ahead of time and store them in my fridge for quick grab and go access. Do you know the refrigerated shelf life? I even see these at Whole Foods now in their refrigerated section so I’m sure they will be good for a bit. I want to make some for family members for Christmas. Thanks again for this delicious, healthy and easy to make recipe.

285 Olga December 16, 2015

I’ve been drinking this after my workout… the first time I had trouble with the texture, but now I look forward to gym days so I can have a chia fresca… my question, however, is should I be drinking this before the gym instead of after?

286 Silvio B. January 10, 2016

Thank you for the inspiration (nice pictures).

I have found my favourite drink:
Make a green tea with some fresh ginger in it. before it is cold, mix it with Chia seeds. Add some water and one tea spoon of Xylitol for the sweet taste (and some benefits :-) ) until my bottle is full.
This sweetener is not cheap, but seems healthy, and prevents me from adding any additional sugar in my diet. Of course you can replace it with honey (mix while water is hot), maple syrup, agave syrup, etc..
Leave it in the fridge for the next day.
Drink cold after a workout, delicious ..

287 Erica February 11, 2016

I had this in downtown LA at one of the fruit/juice carts. I got mine mixed with half fresh pineapple juice and half chia seed water…. to die for!

288 Liana March 12, 2016

Anybody know???
If you grind chia seeds up to put in, say, an iced coffee drink, will the chia powder still soak up fluid from your digestive track and cause constipation?

289 Danny Bushacra March 20, 2016

Amazing drink!

290 Anne April 6, 2016

I am researching your awesome recipes for the Wild Rose detox diet. Is it ok to have maple syrup on this cleanse?