Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters (Oil-free)

blissfulbuckwheatgranola 2137 thumb   Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters (Oil free)

Do you know how dangerous it is to have freshly baked granola sitting on the counter during a long winter evening? And by dangerous, I mean it totally feels healthy enough (vegan, oil-free, buckwheat!) to keep picking away at all night long. You can be sure we did. Each time one of us left the kitchen with a couple clusters in hand, we’d say, “OK, this is the last piece of the night!” only to be tempted back into the kitchen during the next commercial break.

This granola stands apart from the crowd with its lightly sweet, oil-free clusters of crunchy cinnamon-coated buckwheat and sunflower seeds. There isn’t an oat in sight, but we hardly noticed or even cared. For those of you who were pleading for a recipe using almond pulp, you’ll be happy to know that I threw my leftover almond pulp into this batch and it blended seamlessly. I’m sure it also works just fine without it though.

Added on top of a Green Monster for breakfast, I couldn’t take those pictures fast enough! Snap, snap, slurp, slurp.

blissfulbuckwheatgranola 2127 thumb   Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters (Oil free)

Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters

Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free. For nut-free version leave out the almond pulp.

Email, Text, or Print this recipe

Yield: about 12 servings or roughly 4.5-5 cups

Dry ingredients:

• 1.5 cups raw buckwheat groats (not Kasha)
  • Leftover almond pulp (I had about 1/2 cup or so)*
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or other granulated sugar of choice)

Wet ingredients:

• 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup (see below for other options)
  • 3 tbsp sunflower seed butter (or almond or peanut butter)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 300F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. If using almond pulp, it will remain a bit chunky, but not to worry.

3. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients until combined. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated and wet.

4. Spread granola onto baking sheet in a uniform layer. Bake at 300F for 20 minutes, roughly flip granola, and bake for another 18-20 minutes, watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Granola will be lightly golden on the bottom and will harden a lot during the cooling process.

5. Cool completely on the pan and then store in a glass container on the counter for up to 3-4 weeks (just an estimate).

Notes: 1) I assume this recipe also works without the almond pulp, so if you don’t have any still give it a shot. 2) If you don’t have coconut nectar, feel free to use brown rice syrup. Honey would work too if that’s part of  your diet. These sticky sweeteners help the granola clump together. You can also use maple syrup or agave, but I don’t think the clusters would hold together as much.

For nutritional info, see here.

blissfulbuckwheatgranola 2118 thumb   Blissful Buckwheat Granola Clusters (Oil free)

PS- If you are looking for an oil-free oat-based granola, check out my Lightened Up Summer Granola. It’s probably the most popular granola recipe on the site.

Happy crunching!

Jill in Chicago February 20, 2013

It looks delicious in the Green Monster! Do you need to soak the buckwheat before baking? (I realize this is a searchable question, but I’m curious as to what you did!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2013

Hi Jill, I didn’t soak it, but I will have to try that sometime. I also wasn’t sure if the wetness from soaking would impact the overall result or not? I know some people soak buckwheat and then dehydrate the kernels until dry before using, so that is an option. If I try a version with soaked buckwheat (without drying it before baking) I will be sure to update my results in the recipe!

Jill in Chicago February 20, 2013

Good to know! The only time I’ve cooked with/eaten buckwheat was in your Raw Breakfast Porridge, so I just wasn’t sure if soaking was for all buckwheat dishes or just raw. Thanks!

Tanya @ playful and hungry February 22, 2013

Hm, I am pretty sure that soaking would have an impact on the recipe. Buckwheat gets pretty soaky… maybe it wouldn’t stick together anymore.

Shiona March 13, 2013

I’m so behind on posts, but I make granola with sprouted buckwheat (soak for ~8 hours, then drain and sprout for 3 days, or until sprouts are 3-4mm long). It doesn’t affect the overall result at all (if anything, you just need less wet ingredients).

I’ve also found that pumpkin puree is an awesome addition to the wet ingredients!

Monica February 20, 2013

I haven’t had a green monster all winter (I know, I’m crazy), but seeing this recipe makes me want to have one to top with the delicious granola. Granola is so tempting!

Alexis @ Hummusapien February 20, 2013

Yet another reason why I MUST try your homemade almond milk recipe! This granola looks awesome, especially on top of a green monster. Love that they’re oil free, too!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl February 20, 2013

This sounds out of this world!!

Willow February 20, 2013

This sounds incredible! I was just trying to think of more uses for buckwheat groats… now I know. I always have a hard time getting granola to clump, too, but maybe it’s because I use too much maple syrup… will try it with brown rice syrup next time. Thanks!

Christa @ Edible Balance February 20, 2013

what a delightful looking granola!! so great to see an alternative to oats, and such a great use of almond pulp! everything I have tried so far to use up pulp have been terrible, and not worth the time. I love that the pulp is not the ‘main ingredient’. Love the use of coconut syrup and sugar as well, I’m trying to keep low-glycemic so it’s perfect… can’t wait to make and devour this!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 20, 2013

Looks Delicious!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 20, 2013

I really need to make homemade granola. Nope, never have but I know right where to come when I do because you have several I’ve been itching to try!

Alina February 20, 2013

This looks like a fantastic idea! It’ll be a great way to use up the buckwheat groats I have, no soaking required!

Anna @ Your Healthy Place February 20, 2013

I have been wanting to play around more with buckwheat for ages, so thanks for this recipe!

Joanna Clarke February 20, 2013

Hi Angela,
I am so excited to try this. However, I have nut allergies, and find it impossible thus far to find sunflower butter or sunflower seeds (that are not INSANE expensive) that do not carry allergy warnings.

Any suggestions? I have no idea what Whole Foods carries…I am in Calgary and we don’t have that, but plenty of other whole food stores.

Thanks!

Joanna

Angela February 20, 2013

Hey Joanna,
The brand I buy is Sunbutter and it’s found in a lot of every day grocery stores around me (like Superstore/Loblaw) It says it’s produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility. I can’t recall the price, but it tends to be around the same range as other nut butters. maybe you can find a deal online for cheap?

Joanna Clarke February 20, 2013

Ok, thanks! I will check again … see what I can see. I’ll reply with anything great, just so others know too :)

Lavanga February 22, 2013

can’t you make your own – blend in a good blender and add a little oil as needed?

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 20, 2013

I’ve had a bag of buckwheat in my cupboard for what seems like forever, now I know what to use it for! I’ve been making my own granola lately and this will be a nice change of pace from the oats.

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan February 20, 2013

Yumm!! I love granola and am going to start experimenting with making my own almond milk, so this is perfect!

Laura February 20, 2013

That green monster looks amazing. I’ve been hearing a lot about buckwheat recently. I think I’ll pick some up soon and try it out. Thanks for the great recipe!

jess @ cupcakes and kale February 20, 2013

hahaha, i know EXACTLY what you mean about a fresh batch of granola being completely unavoidable when passing through the kitchen! yesterday morning a made a batch of lisa & nicole’s cinnamon bun granola and the hubs and i put a MASSIVE dent in it before breakfast time even came today! :D

Alanna February 20, 2013

Yum! Thanks for this!
But where do you get your buckwheat groats?
I live in the city as well, but haven’t seen them anywhere!
-Alanna

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2013

I usually buy from Whole Foods bulk bins or online :)

Beth February 20, 2013

Q: Do you know how dangerous it is to have freshly baked granola sitting on the counter during a long winter evening?

A: Yes, I do, because I make a batch of granola (usually your Lightened Up Summer Granola) every week to take for lunch/snack at work, and I can’t keep my hands out of it while it’s cooling. Even after I put it in the jar! But this week, like Jess above, I made the cinnamon bun granola, which also has buckwheat groats, so now I have to buy more to try this!

By the way, I made your cake balls last night and will dip them in the coating and decorate tonight.

audrey February 22, 2013

I just made this with raw quinoa- it worked out so well! added a little coco powder to it also :)

Heather February 20, 2013

I made four cups of granola and it was gone SO fast. It’s deadly straight out of the oven and still amazing as a cold cereal.

Marya@parttimehealthnut.com February 20, 2013

HA! Great minds think alike! I make buckwheat granola with peanut butter, coconut oil,and 2 T maple syrup to bind it all together. I feel amazing after eating it since the magnesium in the buckwheat helps with relaxation and to stabilize blood glucose levels. It’s also a complete protein with all 9 essential amino acids. Thanks, Angela

Natalie February 20, 2013

Yummmm you read my mind. I’ve been trying to think of new, portable, breakfast ideas I can bring to work. Ding ding ding ding – granola! I think I might try the Summer Granola though, because I have no idea where to find raw buckwheat groats!

Nina @ Too Hottie For That Body February 20, 2013

I keep hearing more and more about buckwheat. Clearly this isn’t only a cute character from The Little Rascals. I’m definitley going to have to try this with some yummy green goodness as well. That green color is just fueling my need for spring to arrive!

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 20, 2013

Just look at those happy clusters..I love it when granola ‘clusters up’ while it bakes. So much fun to break apart and munch on. Love the overhead opening pic – been especially enjoying your food styling and photos the last few posts, Angela…so pretty! :)

Alexis February 20, 2013

This looks so good!

Brianna (senseofsensibility) February 20, 2013

Not only have I been making batches of granola like crazy, I have been dying to try a recipe using buckwheat groats. You’re satisfying both my recent obsessions in one blog post, thanks!

Sherisse H (@lovesplantbased) February 20, 2013

These looks super yums and LOVE that they’re oil free, thank you! Your photos are beautiful, as always :)

The Vegan Cookie Fairy February 20, 2013

Wow, granola and a green monster, I have got to try that!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action February 20, 2013

That looks delicious! I’ve never made my own granola, but this recipe inspires me to change that.

Sharla February 20, 2013

I can easily go overboard with granola as well!! Never would have thought of using buckwheat – sounds good!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 20, 2013

Oh my goodness, I hear you on the dangerous granola thing. I made a batch this past weekend and have had to hide it up in one of my highest cupboards to stop myself from eating it all at once! These look delicious Ange!

Liz February 20, 2013

That green monster looks so appealing! What did you put in your delicious concoction this time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2013

It was just a classic…frozen banana, homemade almond milk, kale!

Lisa February 20, 2013

This looks so good & crunchy! Have you tried in the dehydrator or just as good in oven?

Amanda@ Spiritual Sweat February 20, 2013

I LOVE buckwheat granola!!! You’re the best Angela! My taste buds love you.

Shanda Bezzant February 20, 2013

Where do you get your coconut sugar? The whole sugar alternative thing is a bit overwhelming to me :)

Dominique February 21, 2013

Yay made this last night and its delicious and thank you for providing us with a use for that almond pulp! :)

Seraphina February 21, 2013

Oh my, yes. I bake granola on a regular basis, and often find myself munching away at it while studying, and working through a batch too quickly. I try to either give it away or store it in a cupboard so out of sight, out of mind!

Eliza February 21, 2013

i love buckwheat groats, they have the best crunchy texture! I actually just made a similar granola recipe a few days ago ! :) http://food52.com/recipes/20881-crunchy-buckwheat-granola

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 21, 2013

Oh my! I could eat a whole batch of these clusters. Wonderful recipe! Yummy!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 21, 2013

Looks delicious, I can’t wait to try this. I don’t have much experience with coconut nectar so I’m looking froward to trying it.

Catherine February 21, 2013

I love how you put your granola on your green monster – I’m a smoothie in a bowl gal myself and crunchies on top are awesome. I’m going to make this granola today with my daughter, we are needing to avoid oats right now (amongst other things) so I need fun ideas that she’ll eat. I’m thinking orange zest and goji berries to brighten up our gray rainy day :) Will let you all know how delicious it turns out! Because all your recipes we’ve made have been tasty so far Angela!

Kelcy February 21, 2013

Hi Angela!
I love your blog and I check it everyday! I have made many of your recipies and my husband loves them too!
I just wanted to comment and let you know, which you might already know by now, that there is an ad on your page for Milky Way. I thought you might want to know since that is not a vegan candy and definitley does not promote the kind of healthy lifestyle you are trying to show to people =)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 23, 2013

^ Weird, I am not seeing a Milky Way Ad?
I’m seeing Exquisite Antique Rings Of True Vintage Beauty or some such stuff?
And Refinancing Loans Etc