Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Balls

vegancakeballglutenfree-1778

I admire anyone who has the patience to make Cake Pops. I really do.

I’m just not that patient when it comes to tediously decorating things that I want to stuff in my face.

The thought of dipping, sticking, balancing, and making intricate designs on a sticky ball of chocolate really doesn’t send me running to the kitchen. Cake balls, on the other hand, are an impatient girl’s best friend. You don’t need sticks, Styrofoam, or much patience at all.

Cake balls are traditionally made with just a few ingredients: a baked cake, a tub of frosting, and chocolate for dipping. You simply crumble up a baked cake, mix in frosting, shape into balls, and dip in chocolate. This, my friends, is a recipe that’s just begging to be played with!

I have a bit of a confession first though. This recipe actually started off as an actual cupcake recipe. My plan was to create gluten-free and vegan hostess cupcakes. I adapted my vegan chocolate cake recipe using an all-purpose gluten-free flour which was kindly sent to me by a Canadian GF flour company called Cuisine Soleil.

The GF cupcakes:

vegancakeballglutenfree-1797

The GF flour worked quite well and tasted lovely, however the cupcakes were a tad bit delicate for what I was trying to do (stuff them with coconut whipped cream). I’d like to play around with my own gluten-free flour mix at some point, but that will probably take some development. Since I didn’t want to share a recipe with you that I wasn’t fully happy with, I decided to turn lemons into lemonade…

Enter cake balls. The perfect solution for any crumbly baking outcome!

vegancakeballglutenfree-1787

With cake balls, we don’t need to worry too much about making the “perfect” cake since we’ll be crumbling it to pieces anyway. You can use almost any flour you wish without much worry. Instead of using frosting – which didn’t really appeal to me in an already sweet cake – I used full-fat coconut milk (the cream portion only) as the binding agent. By using coconut cream the sugar content is lowered greatly. [If you’d like a refresher on how to use coconut cream, see this post.]

Unlike baking a normal cake, no self control is required with cake balls because you can sample away and no one will be the wiser!

vegancakeballglutenfree-1799

The amount of coconut cream you use will depend on how sticky your want your batter. My first batch had a bit too much coconut cream (and stuck to my hands a lot when rolling). I think I used about 1 cup of coconut cream in my first trial. For the second batch, I used 1/2-3/4 cup of coconut cream and it was the perfect consistency. The amount you need will likely vary based on what type of flour you use in your cupcakes. You’ll have to eye ball this one and just add a little bit at a time. Eric and I both preferred the trial using less coconut cream, so I suggest adding it slowly and only use just enough.

Mix the coconut cream into the crumbled cake with your hands and then roll it into balls. These two pictures below are from my first trial. As you can see the dough looks a bit too sticky. My second trial was much more crumbly/dry in texture.

vegancakeballglutenfree-1763 vegancakeballglutenfree-1766

Now simply freeze the balls and then dip them into melted chocolate!

I wanted to naturally colour some shredded coconut, so I smashed a raspberry into a few tablespoons of coconut. It worked like a charm – no red food colouring needed. I also used chopped walnuts and natural sprinkles (the brand is Let’s Do…Sprinklez).

The texture of the cake ball is a bit like a truffle with a firm shell and a soft middle. Eric wasn’t a fan of the mushy texture in my first batch, but after I reduced the coconut cream in my second batch he enjoyed them a lot. You can play around with the amount to suit your own preferences.

vegancakeballglutenfree-1791

Vegan and Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Balls

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: around 24 cake balls

for the cake:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or other light-tasting oil of choice)*
  • 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar (or unrefined sugar like coconut sugar)
  • 1.5 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Cuisine Soleil) or flour of choice
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt

for the cake balls:

• 1 can full-fat chilled coconut milk (do not use light coconut milk) (I only used 1/2-3/4 cup cream)
  • 200-225 grams non-dairy semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate
  • 1 tsp coconut oil, to thin out chocolate
  • toppings: shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc

1. Chill can of coconut milk overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a muffin tin with oil. You can also bake a whole cake instead of cupcakes, but the cooking time will likely be longer.

2. In a large bowl, stir the milk with the apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle – this makes vegan buttermilk.

3. With an electric beater, beat in the oil, vanilla, and sugar into the almond milk mixture.

4. Add the dry ingredients (gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt). Beat mixture until smooth.

5. Evenly distribute the batter among the cupcake tin. I like to use an ice cream scoop with a spring release button. Bake cake at 350F for about 20-23 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched.

6. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes in the tin and then carefully transfer to a cooling rack for another 10 minutes. Crumble cake into a large bowl.

7. Scoop out coconut cream from the can (if you need a refresher, see this post). Add a little bit of cream at a time to the crumbled cake and mix it in with your hands. You will only need to use enough to make it come together (I used about 1/2 – 3/4 cup coconut cream) and you don’t want to oversaturate the cake with cream.

8. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and freeze the balls for 30-60 minutes until firm.

9. Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a small pot over lowest heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat, and stir until chips are melted. Dip the balls into the chocolate with a fork and swirl around until fully coated. Tap off excess and transfer to a cooling rack so the chocolate can drip off (put paper towel underneath). Sprinkle with chopped nuts, coconut, or sprinkles. Transfer to fridge or freezer until the chocolate is set. Store in the fridge until ready to enjoy.

For approx. nutritional info, see here.

Note: I imagine coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil both work fine as subs for grapeseed oil.

vegancakeballglutenfree-1782

Moral of the story….when life gives you a crumbly cake or brownie, make cake balls!

1 Ashley (Taste for Healthy) February 8, 2013

Hahaha… and I thought I was the only one who didn’t have the patience for cake pops! These are beautiful Angela! Your blog is always so inspiring. I hope you and Eric have a wonderful Valentine’s Day! xoxo

2 Tanya @ playful and hungry February 11, 2013

Haha, same here. It’s kind of like… bake and destroy. ;)
But I guess I should give it a try…

3 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 8, 2013

These look amazing! No gluten, no dairy, and not so difficult either, that’s a triple winner for me. Bookmarked!

4 Eliana February 8, 2013

I want to make this recipe, but I don’t have grapeseed oil. Is there something else I can substitute with? Is that ok not use add it?

Thanks
Eliana

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2013

Yup, you can use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Applesauce might even work, I haven’t tried that yet though.

6 Eliana February 8, 2013

Thanks for your reply! By the way.. I absolutely LOVE your blog!!!! Every recipe that I have made is easy and tastes DELICIOUS!

7 Erika February 8, 2013

I agree with Ashley–totally inspired to go make some vegan cake balls now! I especially love the idea of using a raspberry as food coloring–I think I (and everyone else who would be eating these) would definitely prefer the raspberry flavor over, say, beets. These are so adorable–hope you have a great V-day!

8 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} February 8, 2013

Yum! These look perfect for Valentine’s Day. Totally agree with you about cake pops, by the way – I admire anyone who has the patience, but that is just NOT me.

9 Amy February 8, 2013

I can’t digest coconout milk…is there another alternative you can think of that would work? I should add im gluten intolerant as well so these really excite me!

10 Katie February 8, 2013

Thank you for posting how to make cake balls! This has been a project on the backburner for me for quite some time. Ever since I tasted some delectable rum cake balls … To this end, to moisten the crumbled cake I would substitute the coconut milk with your favourite liqueur! Rum, Kahlua, Grand Marnier, vegan Baileys, maybe coconut liqueur? I’d start with 1/4 cup of booze, and then slowly add more as you mix.

As for patience, I never have enough to coat things in chocolate … chocolate chip sprinkles all the way!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2013

Hi Amy, Homemade frosting would work. Also, what about strawberry or raspberry jam?

Good luck experimenting.

12 Christy February 13, 2013

I did not have any coconut milk on hand when I made these cake balls over the weekend, and used a runny peanut butter as substitute. Excellent. Thanks, Angela, for getting me going on making these. They were a hit and I plan to make another batch for this weekend. Yum!

13 Christa @ Edible Balance February 8, 2013

Vegan AND gluten free?? You’re kinda my hero… I mean, you already were, but this literally takes the cake! They’re so pretty! Now I must find someone to make them for me… my patience is far less than yours on stuff like this ;)

14 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 8, 2013

I adore cake balls! I made chocolate red wine balls and white chocolate champagne balls last winter – I can’t wait to try them again using your coconut cream idea! I think maybe coconut-rum cake balls are in order… :)

15 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 8, 2013

Now I totally want to make a crumbly cake on purpose. :-)

I make cake balls every few months, swear them off because they’re such a pain in my rump and then I eat one and all of the grudges fade away. Though I must admit one always has to sacrifice itself in the name of frustration and ends up flattened…then I can happily trudge on. I apparently have issues. HA!

16 Ashley February 8, 2013

I love cake balls but have no patience in making them either. My first time I made them, it was a disaster! However, I am a fan of red velvet, and for my birthday last year I received some red velvet cake balls from my friend who’s a baker. So good I tell you! These look amazing too, and will have to try them soon. Perhaps this time, it won’t be so bad!

17 Stephi February 8, 2013

These look so tasty…..

18 Shundara@ SavyNaturalista February 8, 2013

Cake balls ugh I have had a run in and have given up… Just in time for valentines day they look like many truffles.. Yum, Yum.

19 Brianna (thecatcallstheshots) February 8, 2013

I love your idea for naturally coloring shredded coconut! I’m eager to make a valentine’s oatmeal and that would be perfect!

20 Katie February 8, 2013

I just found out that I have Celiac and have been freaking out about no more desserts! Thank you for posting this! I’m going to make some this weekend!

I LOVE your blog!

21 Maria February 8, 2013

Coconut cream + no shame in eating crumbs? I am so signed up for this recipe. I love the idea of using coconut cream to lessen the amount of sugar that I add to a recipe. I’m way more obsessed with fat than I am with sugar, anyway. And I’ve never thought about using fruit as a food coloring before, even though it seems like such an obvious choice.

Also, I’m pretty sure these are as adorable as any cake balls I’ve ever seen.

22 Sarah @ Yogi in Action February 8, 2013

Wow- those look amazing and sound delicious! It’s days like today I wish we were neighbours- so I could enjoy your delicious goodies without having to make them myself ;) Sadly, being in Western Canada, I’ll actually have to make a batch.

23 katy @ just playing house February 8, 2013

I’ve done the cake pop thing…once. Never again! These look amazing, and I bet they’d be more fun to eat! (I couldn’t stand to look at the cake pops after the 5 hours it took to make them!)

24 Jenna February 8, 2013

These look awesome!

25 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 8, 2013

I saw these on instagram and was waiting with bated breath for the post! Love this idea and also using raspberries to dye the coconut flakes. Perfect for Valentine’s Day.

26 Emily February 8, 2013

Yum!!! These look soooo cute, I think I’ll have to make these for my hubby for Valentine’s day! :)

27 Jackie February 8, 2013

Those look delicious!! Curious though – what is the difference between a cake ball and a cake pop, other than the pops have sticks?

28 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 8, 2013

I love that you made lemonade out of lemons. And chocolate cake is never lemons, per se :)

And that you used coconut milk in them to mix them up. I bet the consistency, flavor, and scent of them is just awesome. Perfect for Valentine’s Day!

Can’t wait for that cupcake post/recipe, too!

29 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl February 8, 2013

This looks incredible!!

30 kimmythevegan February 8, 2013

AWESOME!
These look so delicious =) I also do not have the patience (or tools) to try making cake pops, I’m super excited to try making these!

31 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 8, 2013

These are great, Angela! Those cupcakes would have been amazing too! I wish you had a bakery with a location near me. I would be a frequent flyer for sure. ;)

32 Alina February 8, 2013

Thanks for this recipe! I was wondering if there was a healthier (well, non-processed) cake ball recipe out there!

33 Rachel @ RachelRuns29.11 February 8, 2013

A- These are adorable, and look delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I want you to know how much I love your site. Your recipes are fantastic and easy to follow and most of the time don’t include ingredients I have to order from Amazon:). Whenever a new vegan asks me for recipes to get started, I don’t even bother, I just give them your blog address. Most of my recipes are from here anyway. Thank you so much for all of the hard work you put into each post and the beautiful photos and words that accompany them. So thankful! Love from Florida!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Hi Rachel, That means so much to me. Thank you for spreading the word (and of course, reading the blog). Take care!

35 Amanda@ Spiritual Sweat February 8, 2013

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!! These look so dangerously tasty! Angela, your website is hands-down my favorite food site :)

36 Rose! February 8, 2013

Brilliant! I wouldn’t have thought that coconut cream would bind these together so well. Thank you, Angela!

37 Brittney @ Sound in Wind and Limb February 8, 2013

Um, wow! These look really good. Thanks for the recipe. I recently purchased raw cocoa powder and want to give it a try!

38 Maria Tadic February 8, 2013

This looks like such an easy recipe! I totally wanna try it. I’ve never done the thing with the coconut cream, but I’m excited to try it out! Thanks for sharing!

39 Mary February 8, 2013

These look so delicious. *sigh* If only I was not on a no-more-baked-treats week.

40 Kelli February 8, 2013

First, these look awesome. Second, I thought I would share an ingenious lazy way to make cake pops – just get some Timbits from Tim Hortons (if you are in Canada) and dip them in chocolate, stick sticks in them and voila… cake pops. Obviously not homemade, and most likely not vegan, but vegetarian and very cute. I saw this at a shower one time, and they were great.

Thanks for yet another tantalizing recipe, Angela!

41 sara February 8, 2013

wow! i am going to a potluck tonight where the food theme is vegan, gluten-free finger food (seriously). this recipe could not have come at a more perfect time! you rock angela!

42 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 8, 2013

These are just too cute Ange!! It’s funny you mention cake pops because I’ve been at Bed Bath and Beyond a few times lately (more than I care to admit!!) and they’re ALLLL about the cake pop makers and accessories there. So much easier to just make the balls like you have here … who needs sticks?! ;) Happy snowy Friday!

43 Brigitte February 8, 2013

Hi was just wondering do you have to bake them in cup cake form…or can you bake in a regular cake pan since you have to break it apart anyways??

Thanks

44 Annie@stronghealthyfit February 8, 2013

Angela, you never cease to amazing me with your cleverness! These cake balls looks delicious, I love the coconut cream as the binder. Perfect to balance out the sweetness of the cake and chocolate coating, what a great idea!

45 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 8, 2013

Yummmmy! These are so cute and look amazing! I love how you used coconut cream instead of icing! I will totally make these the next time one of my gluten free experiments doesn’t work out how I planned.

46 Melissa February 8, 2013

Yum! I never would have thought cake balls would be so easy. Could you show some pictures of how you dip the cake balls in chocolate? I really struggle with dipping anything in chocolate without 1) getting an extremely thick layer of chocolate or 2) having an area of ball that looks jacked up because of my fingers/fork touching the food.

47 Ashley @ Blissful Basil February 8, 2013

These look so delicious and so valentine-esque! Love the coconut cream in place of frosting idea — genius!

48 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 8, 2013

These are beautimous!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn my low-carb vegan diet to hell, oh my gawd!
Wow wow fantastic
[I feel like if I walked by a plate of these, I’d attack them like how Cookie Monster eats cookies? So dignified and lady-like hahaha!:p]

49 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 8, 2013

I’m trying to absorb these from that last amazing photo through my laptop screen thing…come to me now chocolate beauties yess:p

50 Katie February 8, 2013

These look so delicious! I did something similar last time my brownie recipe didn’t go as planned! I ended up with chocolate peanut butter bites! Sometimes oopsies can be the best creations!!

51 a farmer in the dell February 8, 2013

these are absolutely adorable and look delicious!

52 Diane February 8, 2013

I will have to try these…they look so good. I made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies and your recipe is perfect! Everyone loved them.

53 Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com February 8, 2013

I feel the same way about cake pops. I mean, if someone makes them for me I will happily eat them, but I so don’t have the patience to make them properly myself these, on the other had, do seem so much quicker and less fiddly. And, of course tasty!

54 Katie February 8, 2013

I think you just put me over the top in deciding to do a vegan lent (which starts this coming Wednesday). I was a little worried about valentines day, which is a day after lent starts, but now you gave me a dessert for it. As usual, thank you!

55 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 8, 2013

Oh I love these! I love adding coconut milk to recipes and using raspberries for color? Awesome.

56 Kathy Patalsky February 8, 2013

Yum! These look so fun and delicious for Valentine’s Day! Must try cake balls, as I am still a “cake pops” virgin. These seem better! No stick needed! :)

57 Bek @ Crave February 8, 2013

Haha, good moral! These look cute- and they’re better than cupcakes anyways because you can have more since they’re smaller…right? ;)

58 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur February 8, 2013

Chocolate covered is all I had to read, but the cake ball part doesn’t hurt, either. Such a simple recipe – and just begging to be made for Valentine’s day!

59 Sharla February 8, 2013

I love that the cake recipe is not complicated – and that all I have to do is squish it in a bal in case it turns out ugly! :)

60 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 8, 2013

I totally admire anyone who is able to make desserts that normally contain dairy, vegan. I am just not creative enough when it comes to vegan baking. Thank goodness people like you exist! ;)

61 Nat @ The Apple Diaries February 8, 2013

These are the most delightful little creations! Perfect for Valentines Day ;) I’m a big Apple Cider Vinegar fan but didn’t realise you could use it in baking. What does the ACV do here exactly (what does it add to the recipe)?

Thanks Angela.

62 Nichole K February 9, 2013

While everyone else can say they look delicious, and they do; I actually made these last night, and they are amazing! I love that they’re so pretty too; they really have that wow factor. I used a little more than half a cup of coconut cream, and they were perfection. The center was some sort of brownie-truffle-cake amalgamation. So good!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Hey Nichole, Oh Im so glad to hear that! Thanks for reporting back :)

64 Adriel February 9, 2013

These sound amazing!!!

65 Valentina February 9, 2013

This is the best gift you could have given me for my name day ;)! Thank you Angela! I’ll make these soon, I can’t wait! I’ve been wanting to make cake balls forever but I’m lactose and gluten intolerant so I had given up on them! Thank you! Valentina :)

66 Marianne February 9, 2013

Great idea! A good alternative to making a whole cake, and feeling like you have to eat it all within a few days! (Well, that’s how I feel, anyway!) I’m gonna make these for my birthday to share! :)

67 The Vegan Cookie Fairy February 9, 2013

I love cake pops, they’re a great gift and/or party food but I agree, unless you’ve got a “ruined” cake, they’re a bother to make! :P

68 Sara Nickel February 9, 2013

Ha ha! This is soooo similar to my vegan, gluten-free carrot cake cup recipe experience this week. I too was hope to make a mini gluten-free carrot cake cupcake for all of my “diet”/gluten-free colleagues at work for a monthly birthday party we celebrate on a monthly basis. My “cupcakes” turned acted the very same way and I ended up turning them into carrot cake balls with a white chocolate frosting. Gluten free flours are very hit and miss. It causes for a lot of improvisation, but there is always a win in the end!

69 sanna February 10, 2013

First of all: Thank you Angela for your lovely blog, you were one of my biggest inspirations (and help!) when going vegan two years ago.
I’m an absolute baking beginner. But trying! :) Do you think that this recipe would aslo work with oat flour?
greetings from Finland, Sanna

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Thank you Sanna, I appreciate it!
Oat flour would likely yield a heartier, denser, and more rustic texture/taste. If that’s not a problem for you, then by all means feel free to experiment. Goodluck!

71 Diana (Twenty Onederful) February 10, 2013

I totally agree – cake pops are delicious but way too much work! Can’t wait to try this!

72 Fit Missy February 10, 2013

Great variation!

They look delicious and I will have to try!

Thanks for sharing! =)

x

73 Maggy February 11, 2013

I so agree. The first time I read a recipe on cake balls I think I got about half way through and thought “yea that’s not happening…” Cupcakes for all.

74 Allison Day February 11, 2013

These are adorable! I’m always looking for a good all-purpose GF flour. Thanks for the recipe :)
Also, I was flipping through a past U of Guelph alumni magazine this weekend and saw a feature on you. I felt proud to be Gryphon!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013

Aw thank you Allison!!

76 Annie's Simple Life February 11, 2013

Holy. Yum.

77 Susannah February 11, 2013

This will be a great recipe to break me about of my single-serving “____-in-a-mug” rut that I’ve been in lately. Can’t wait to try these out!

In terms of creating your own gluten-free mix, my sister (who is currently studying to be a nutritionist) runs a gluten-free baking blog called Cakes “N” Bakes (http://cakesnbakes.wordpress.com/) where she converts recipes and creates some of her own. She bases most of her baking on a mix that is:

2 cups brown rice flour (extra finely ground)
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

And her stuff comes out amazing! (Especially her cake). I know gluten free baking can be super tough, so lots of luck and can’t wait to see the good things that come out of your experimentation!

78 Samantha February 12, 2013

These look PERFECT! YUM! <3

79 Sara February 13, 2013

I made these tonight and they turned out PERFECTLY! I loved the texture and flavor. Amazing. Thank you so much for the recipe! I can’t wait to watch people devour them and then tell them they’re vegan ;-) sneaky sneaky!!

80 Cheistina February 14, 2013

This recipe is delicious… I made heart shaped cupcakes for my kids using spelt flour… Huge hit… My husband was amazed at how moist and delicious they were, he couldn’t believe they were vegan and gluten free…

81 Janna February 20, 2013

Just a quick not, Cheistina, spelt is a type of wheat, so it is not gluten free.

82 Liz February 14, 2013

Those look so perfect for Valentines day. Your pictures are so awesome. :)

83 Nicole February 14, 2013

Made these to bring in for my co-workers today and they have been a major hit! I almost couldn’t relinquish them from my grip…

I lightened up the recipe too and they were still amazing and chocolatey and all for only 98 cals! I subbed applesauce for the 1/3 c. of oil and only needed 1/3 cup of coconut milk…I also used sprouted spelt flour so not sure if that made any difference.

Absolutely amazing, thank you Angela!!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 14, 2013

So glad to hear they turned out so well! Thanks for letting me know about the oil. I suspected they would work but it’s good to know from someone who tried them :)

85 Alley @ Alley's Recipe Book February 14, 2013

I didn’t realize you could reform crumbled cake into cake balls! This creates so many possibilities!

86 FoodSniffr February 15, 2013

These look delicious, and as a foodsniffr, I find the ingredients totally luscious ( except for the sugar :(

Agree with the last commenter that coconut cream as icing is an awesomely healthy idea.
@foodsniffr

87 Roo // NiceGirlNotes February 17, 2013

Hi Angela! Long time lurker, first time commenter. These look amazing, and I’d love to make them for my kids (who have crazy food allergies). One ingredient that they can’t have is almond milk. Could I substitute coconut milk instead? Thanks! :)

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2013

Yes you could for sure! I hope you all enjoy them :)

89 Koko February 18, 2013

I made these for my family and friends for Valentine’s Day and they received rave reviews from all! They were fun to make with my daughter. Thanks for this easy and delicious receipe.

90 Danielle February 19, 2013

Is it possible to make this w/o the sugar?

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2013

You could swap for an unrefined sugar like coconut but I wouldnt leave it out

92 Janna February 20, 2013

Angela, you are brilliant!!! I had to make cake pops for my daughter’s 8th birthday – kids have this tendency to motivate you like nothing else. Anyways, just looking at the recipes and the amount of sugary icing that had to go into them to bind the cake crumbs was spiking up my blood sugar levels)))). I opted for the cake pop maker that I borrowed from a neighbour. It’s a device that kind of works like a waffle maker except it has these “wells”, you drop the batter in, close the lid and 3 minutes later you have the cake balls. My problem with it was that you have to rely on their recipes because they won’t come out perfectly round if your batter is too heavy or too light. The other concern is the teflon coating which is not exactly harmless. I figured one time was enough. Your idea of using coconut cream for binding blew me away. It means we can do them again and have real fun making a big mess in the process! And the raspberry coloured coconut shreds!!! It’s so clever and so simple. I ask myself how come it did not occur to me? My daughter is allergic to food colouring, I have used “Sprinklez” but the colours are a bit dull. This sounds so much better! Thank you for your tireless creativity.

93 Janna February 20, 2013

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I came across this formula somewhere on gluten free blogs for creating your own gluten free flour mix: 40% starch (like tapioca or arrowroot) and 60% non gluten flour mix (amaranth, quinoa, sorghum etc.). Some people are saying that with that mix you can skip xanthan gum. In any case, I am sure you’ll experiment with it and let us know how things turned out. ;-)

94 Reba Scharff February 21, 2013

These were so unbelievably delicious and a perfectly portioned treat. I am still in awe over how good they were. I had them as a sweet with coffee for an afternoon get together and no one could believe they were vegan. I made some plain, and then did toppings on others of coconut, coconut and chopped toasted almonds and pink sea salt. Perfect!

95 Suzanne February 24, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. I finally got around to making these and now my husband, kids, and I are demolishing the entire (double) batch. I coated them with powdered sugar/cocoa/vanilla soy milk frosting instead of chocolate. Sooooo good!

96 Lori February 24, 2013

I made these this past weekend. Although I didn’t take the time to make mine as pretty, they were AMAZING!!!! Highly recommend everyone make these! :)

97 tabitha hogue March 14, 2013

Hello you have the most amazing recipes thanks so much for sharing love love love your stuff…
I made the cupcakes and used
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup teff flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp xanthan gum
And coconut oil not grasped oil
I am naming all the changes because im not sure which on made the difference but the result was a wonderfull CAKE that held together…
Beautiful , light, and rose well so well im sure it would work as a cake not just cupcakes…
Thanks again
tabitha

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2013

Great to know, thanks!

99 Avril Eastwood March 23, 2013

Your website is just fantastic. To be able to make gluten free, dairy free cakes like that is just amazing. I am knew to GF & DF through my own choice to try and help with my RA. I still don’t exclude it altogether as it takes time to change. I made these wonderful mouthfuls of delight today for my sons Foreverday tomorrow (celebration of the day he came to live with us, he’s adopted). They are fantastic. Thank you for all the wonderful things you make. I wish I could send you a piccy, but I don’t know how to on here :)

100 Jenn May 6, 2013

I made these for a wedding shower this weekend and they were a hit! They also were the only vegan option for sweets at the shower which meant I both made them, and ate my fair share. Or maybe more than my fair share. I blame you.

101 Rachel Silvey May 25, 2013

Just made these and they are fantastic! Have to admit I couldn’t stop eating them along the way!

102 Beth El June 25, 2013

Hi. Looking forward to making these for my birthday! Can I use stevia instead of cane sugar? If so, how much? THANKS!

103 Kim Insley September 25, 2013

I could not find your nut-free alternative, which I thought you mentioned there was one. Not only do we have gluten issues, we have dairy and nut allergies as well. It would be great to try this in a way my family could enjoy!
Thanks.

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2013

Hi Kim, For a nut-free version you can swap the almond milk for another non-dairy milk (such as soy or coconut) and them omit the nuts on the topping. Hope this helps!

105 Christina September 30, 2013

Hi!

Question….can I use soy milk instead of almond milk?

Thanks!!
Christina

106 Christina September 30, 2013

actually…just read the post above mine!! hahah never mind!

107 Steffie October 2, 2013

Hi Angela!
Is there a way of making these without Almond Milk? My husband has a nut allergy and he loves cake!
Steffie

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2013

Hey there, Yes I think you could use another non-dairy milk in its place (like soy or coconut milk, for example) enjoy!

109 Candacec November 5, 2013

I’m Allergic To All Cane Sugar So The Semi-Sweet Chocolate Is A No Go. PAlm Sugar Is Ok THough. Any Suggestions THat Won’t Cost Me An Arm And A Leg? THank You

110 alyssa February 13, 2014

every time I try to make these, the batter pours over the pan in the oven:( what am I doing wrong?

111 Rose February 15, 2014

Loved this recipe! However I didn’t actually make them into cake balls instead I just made the chocolate cake recipe and then dipped them in melted chocolate with coconut oil and it was simply delicious!

112 Madlyn February 18, 2014

would brown rice flour or buckwheat or spelt work ok? or do you think it would affect the taste/texture?

113 jen March 8, 2014

just made this as a cake! baked perfectly at 25 mins. and then i topped it off with your buttercream icing.

husband doesn’t even like cake, but LOVED this.

thank you! thank you! your recipes are such a blessing.

114 laurel May 11, 2014

would you consider putting carb counts with your recipes. My daughter is type on diabetic and we carb count to calculate insulin. Many thanks

115 Mariola June 12, 2014

I used regular flour but these t.urned out so good! Everyone at work thought they were amazing

116 Jacqui June 24, 2014

These are amazing and delicious!!! Wonderful recipe and such a great way to salvage crumbly cake!
Do you have any tips or tricks for getting the chocolate coating so even and smooth looking? Mine do not come nearly as pretty as yours do. Thanks!

117 Rachel July 23, 2014

I just made these for a friend’s birthday…and had to taste one. They are AMAZING!!!!!

118 Sim July 31, 2014

Its the first time in about a year of not eating glutin or dairy that we had a real cake that actualy tasts good !!!!! ( iv tried so many recapies )Thank you so much . came out amaizing twice alredy. Going to make it again naw .

119 Paige January 19, 2015

HOLY CRAP. I’m not kidding when I say this is THE BEST dessert I have ever made in my entire life! I used coconut cream from trader joes and it worked perfectly! I also used coconut milk instead of almond, and I melted enjoy life chocolate chips for the coating! PERFECTION. They taste so yummy! Thank you for making a dessert I can actually enjoy and eat without having an allergic reaction :)

120 Mackenzie February 11, 2015

Excited to make these for Valentine’s Day!! Question: do you think I could sub almond flour for the all-purpose GF flour?

121 Alicia March 13, 2015

Ummm…the batter—it’s freakin’ amazing! I only know how the batter tastes because I’m in the process of making these now.

122 Emily May 24, 2015

These were a reading success at my daughter’s princess party this weekend! I’m not a cake lover, but these just might change my mind! Love them z and this blog! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

123 Sammie May 31, 2015

I love these “cake pops”! They are the best just like every other recipe I’ve tried!

124 Cate August 15, 2015

do you need to whip the solid part of the coconut milk before adding it to the recipe? Like in your whipped coconut cream post? Or just scoop it out of the can and add it like that?