Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

banana foster baked oatmeal 1727 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Tell me if this always happens to you too…

Whenever you need the perfectly ripe (or even overripe) bananas, you arrive at your grocery store only to find green-as-grass bananas. Every time! Then on the days when you don’t need bananas, you see rows and rows of perfect yellow bananas. It’s a major conspiracy, don’t you think?

Since I was planning on testing a banana recipe this week, I knew I had to plan well in advance. Two huge bunches of greenish-yellow bananas went into my cart a week ago and then promptly into a brown paper bag to expedite ripening. The evil grocery store conspirators were not going to get me this time.

As it turned out, my testing went better than expected and I only went through about 6 bananas leaving me with an embarrassing amount of bananas on my counter. I guess that still beats running out mid-testing. Some of the leftovers were peeled and popped into the freezer for smoothies and then I went on a bit of a banana bender with the rest. First, Bananas Foster. Second, Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal. It was one tasty weekend.

banana foster baked oatmeal 1731 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal banana foster baked oatmeal 1691 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Traditional Bananas Foster recipes involve a lot of butter, sugar, and rum which create a syrup around the banana slices. Many recipes also flambé the bananas. Since fire + me don’t mix in the kitchen (especially first thing in the morning), I simply chose to sauté the bananas instead. Phew. I also swapped the butter for coconut oil and the refined sugar for sweeteners like coconut sugar or maple syrup and then I cut down the oil and sugar by more than half. So you can say this version is inspired by Bananas Foster, but it’s certainly not a classic version.

Most recipes use rum in the syrup, but since I didn’t have any plain rum on hand I used Kahlua (which also happens to be vegan). The alcohol cooks off in the syrup leaving just a very light caramel flavour mingling nicely with the bananas. Add a scoop of coconut ice cream and you’ll have yourself a lovely dessert that seems much more fancy than it really is.

banana foster baked oatmeal 1696 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Just be sure not to sauté the heck out of the bananas like I did. No one wants a limp banana.

For the recipe above, I used 1 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp Kahlua, 2 bananas sliced lengthwise, a handful of chopped walnuts, and a pinch of cinnamon.

Of course, you can also turn Bananas Foster into breakfast!

banana foster baked oatmeal 1719 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

This recipe is easy too. Just sauté a few small, ripe bananas in 1 tablespoon each of: coconut oil, maple syrup, and Kahlua (or rum). Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they soften.

banana foster baked oatmeal 1702 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal banana foster baked oatmeal 1703 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Then stir it into your oatmeal mixture, top with even more banana slices, and b-a-k-e. [I can imagine that this would be even better with blueberries mixed in. I’m dreaming of summer blueberries right now and I might cry.]

banana foster baked oatmeal 1708 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal banana foster baked oatmeal 1714 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

So there you have it – Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal. I’m warning you, the banana flavour is intense so this is for hard-core banana lovers only. Serve it with a spoonful of nut butter, a drizzle of maple syrup, and some pajamas (or in my case a fleece robe that Eric gave me 10 years ago. It has a burn hole on the sleeve from a cooking accident, but I still love it.)

banana foster baked oatmeal 1722 thumb   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 4 servings

for the baked oatmeal:

• 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup walnut halves, chopped
  • 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk
  • Bananas Foster mixture from below
  • 1 small banana, sliced (for garnish on top)
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt and nutmeg

for the Bananas Foster:

• 3 small firm ripe bananas, chopped
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1-2 tbsp Kahlua (or rum)
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 5-6 cup casserole dish.

2. Stir all of the oatmeal ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Set aside while you prepare the Banana Foster.

3. Add coconut oil, maple syrup, and Kahlua into a skillet. Increase heat to medium and whisk until combined. When the mixture starts to simmer and bubble, add the chopped bananas and stir well until coated in syrup. Sprinkle on cinnamon. Sauté for about 5 minutes, reducing heat if necessary, until the bananas soften. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

4. Stir the banana mixture into the oatmeal mixture and scoop it into your casserole dish. Bake uncovered for about 40-45 minutes at 350F or until the top is golden and with a thin firm layer on top and a soft middle. You will think it’s undercooked at first, but the oatmeal will firm up as it cools. Straight from the oven it has the texture of stove-top oatmeal, but when cooled you can pretty much slice it into squares. I’ve also been known to eat this cold straight from the fridge for a snack.

For nutritional info, see here.

banana foster baked oatmeal 1727 thumb1   Vegan Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 4, 2013

Dessert? I think this is a great excuse to have booze for breakfast!!! :) I do a PB-banana oatmeal bake… how did I never think foster?! I bet this would we good with Frangelico too.

Brittany February 4, 2013

hahahaha
“No one likes a limp banana.”
You are too funny, and just made my morning! This looks delicious. Bravo!

Kelli Ward July 24, 2013

I giggled at that too. Couldn’t help myself.

Shana February 4, 2013

Our grocery store had a sale on a box of ripe bananas so now there are approximately 52 peeled bananas in my freezer and another dozen on my countertop :) I LOVE super ripe bananas. Too much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2013

hahah that would so be me buying that box! What a dream come true. ;)

Emily February 4, 2013

This looks soo good! I was scared to look at the nutritional info, but it actually wasn’t that bad!

olivia February 5, 2013

Hahah so true! I can totally relate about looking at the nutritional info!

Liz February 4, 2013

This looks tasty!!

Just as note, the alcohol doesn’t actually cook off and this wouldn’t be safe for someone that needed to avoid alcohol for any reason: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400900/Does-Alcohol-Really-Cook-Out-of-Food.html

Just wanted to make sure the info was out there so people know! For a long time, I thought all the booze got cooked off in recipes and only recently found this out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2013

Good to know, thanks for sharing Liz!

Kristall February 4, 2013

Yeah, this is a wide-spread kitchen myth that one encounters pretty much everywhere. Cheers for the link!

Caitlin February 4, 2013

how creative! i never knew what bananas foster was, but it always evoked a salivating response from me. i love that you combined a traditional sugar and fat heavy dessert with oatmeal to create a delicious, healthful breakfast!

Abby February 4, 2013

I have to admit that I’m really late to the game, but one of my favorite meals ever is a simply sunbutter and banana sandwich on toasted Ezekiel bread. The game changer though? Grilling the banana on the stove first. I don’t know what took me so long to figure that out, but holy cow…such a different texture/flavor. Love it!

Kate February 4, 2013

It’s so true – the way the banana melts is just decadent!

Kate February 4, 2013

Oh my…both of these recipes look scrumptious. I’d be tempted to do the Bananas Foster with banana soft serve…but I wonder if that would be banana overkill? Is it possible? And I had to chuckle about buying bananas at the market – it NEVER fails. I always have to purchase several days in advance so they have a chance to ripen.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 4, 2013

It’s totally a conspiracy and I learned they also shine tinted lights on bananas to make them look more yellow than green and hope you don’t notice. This is why we take the bananas off the stand and inspect them before buying. My poor color blind hubby gets tricked every time if I’m not with him!

As far as the recipe, I would like to curl up in a vat of this. That’s not weird at all.

Katrien February 4, 2013

Oohhh be careful baking with a bathrobe on! Mine once caught the gas flame, and the fire spread reaaaaally quickly over the rest of the bathrobe… Luckily my boyfriend managed to knock the fire out, leaving me with just a few burnt hairs.
Nevertheless I wanted to share that I’m loving your blog a lot, and it keeps on inspiring me to make more tasty healthy food! Greetings from Amsterdam, K.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2013

Ah that’s scary! Glad you were ok. Luckily we don’t have a gas stove (but I still managed to burn it on a burner many years ago)

Andrea February 4, 2013

This happened to me the other day!!! Luckily I realized that my robe sleeve was getting scorched by the smell before it actually caught flames, but it was a little scary!

OSGMOM February 4, 2013

Yes, the banana conspiracy is going on out West too :) This version sounds delicious and with coconut ice cream – I’m over the moon right now just thinking about it :) Wishing I had the ability to reach through the screen and grab a bowl!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan February 4, 2013

This looks so so good! Oh my, that banana looks perfect for breakfast!

Herbivore Triathlete February 4, 2013

The banana conspiracy is strong in NW Pennsylvania too! Always green bananas as far as the eye can see! Would there be a good substitute for the alcohol? I don’t drink liquor of any kind and there is none at my house, ever. I love warm, comforting oatmeal at this time of year.

Andrea February 24, 2013

I know this is a super-late response, but you could maybe try rum extract (or perhaps brandy extract?). I think both would be available in larger grocery stores, and definitely more specialty grocery stores.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 24, 2013

Thanks for the reply Andrea. That sounds like a great suggestion, I will have to look in my grocery store next time I go shopping.

Marie February 4, 2013

Totally NOT related to this post….but hoping that you are planning to do a Valentine’s day vegan/healthy sweets post!! and maybe a few days in advance so that we can give edible gifts to our men? :) (or better yet, just bake some sweets and send them my way, will ya??!!)

Sarah @ Yogi in Action February 4, 2013

The banana foster and coconut ice cream looks absolutely delicious! I’ve had banana foster once before (and we did burn the liquor) but it wasn’t very good when I had it. I will definitely be trying it out again using your recipe!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 4, 2013

Oh my goodness! This looks absolutely divine!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 4, 2013

You had me at bananas foster. This looks amazing! I think I have everything on hand as well, love when that happens :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } February 4, 2013

Love this! I’ve never had bannas foster anything before so I can’t wait to try it.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 4, 2013

Mmm so fabulous! This sounds awesome!

Christine @ Shot Bun February 4, 2013

Bananas & Kahlua… two of my favourite things! This looks awesome, I can’t wait to try it.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) February 4, 2013

I actually asked a guy who stalked the bananas at a grocery store once why I could never find ripe bananas… he said they THROW THEM OUT. I was so horrified and shocked, that I asked to speak to the manager… he confirmed it’s true — apparently they seem to think customers won’t like overly ripe bananas and for some bizarre reason, this one wouldn’t even allow for selling reduced bananas. He said he’d give them to me…but no guarantee as they can’t exactly predict how many over ripe bananas they will have. Very, very disappointing & sad day. Especially b/c I have a business that relies on baking with ripe bananas and they are almost impossible to find.

Nicola February 4, 2013

This has gone straight onto paper in my notebook – Saving this one for a cold, rainy Sunday morning. Can’t WAIT! I always have overripe bananas in the freezer and I’m very excited for this! Thanks!

Allison February 4, 2013

Can’t wait to try this recipe! And I completely agree with you about the banana thing.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) February 4, 2013

I love LOVE love caramelized bananas like this – This would be a fabulous morning treat! Yum

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 4, 2013

I always have that problem with bananas! Its so annoying! It also happens with avocados all the time.

This recipe looks delicious, I LOVE bananas so I can’t wait to try it! I think I’ll make personal sized ramekins so I can heat them up individually in the morning! Yummy

Jenni Hulburt February 7, 2013

Jesse, Out To Lunch Creations – love the name of your website. Going to see what you’ve got to share too!

Thanks Angela! Great yummy recipe that I can’t wait to try!

Catherine February 4, 2013

I love, love, love bananas foster (the original Brennan’s recipe!), & your version sounds delicious, too. I must make this oatmeal for a special brunch. Gosh, I am salivating onto my keyboard!
I think grocery stores do conspire against us with their abundance if under- or over-ripe ‘nanners.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 4, 2013

I still haven’t tried baked oatmeal yet but this looks awesome!

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 4, 2013

I love bananas foster! Mmm, so good!

And the banana/grocery store phenomenon that you just described ALWAYS happens to me! It just happened last week when I was in a jam and NEEDED really ripe bananas for a recipe and they were all vibrant green everywhere I went!

Alissa N February 4, 2013

I have had a complete obsession with dessert themed oatmeal lately, this is so brilliant and perfect. I can’t wait to try it out!!

Maria Tadic February 4, 2013

This looks sooooo good! I love oatmeal recipes. Such a great healthy start to the day! I bet this recipe would work for a lot of fruit – apples would be good too!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} February 4, 2013

Totally with you on the banana conspiracy. My boyfriend will only eat green bananas, but whenever I go to the store specifically to buy him some, there are only spotted ones left! Makes me look bad :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious February 4, 2013

I have definitely found myself in the same ‘green banana’ predicament you speak of! This oatmeal recipe looks SO good! I find myself craving baked oatmeals since winter officially hit and I’m always on the hunt for a new one.

The Vegan Cookie Fairy February 4, 2013

I’d never heard of this before but it sounds delicious. It also sounds pretty much like my go-to porridge recipe (bananas, porridge, cinnamon – done!), which is one of my favourites.

Luanne Powell February 4, 2013

Just learned you can ripen bananas in the oven. Put the bananas with the skin on, on a baking sheet at 300 degrees and bake about 30-60 minutes!!!! Tried it and it works perfectly!!! Hope this helps :)))

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2013

Ive heard this too and always wondered – do they come out tasting like super ripe bananas?

Luanne Powell February 7, 2013

Google it, which is what I did. The skin will turn black and the bananas will ripen. Used them in 2 different recipes and they tasted GREAT! Worth a try !!!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 7, 2013

I’d never heard this before! Gonna try it out next time I have a banana recipe and no ripe bananas

Sarah February 4, 2013

I haven’t managed to try a baked oatmeal yet. but I really should. this looks delicous!

Dayna February 4, 2013

Holy yummy!!!! That oatmeal! My boyfriend and I were dreaming up ideas for a brunch later in the week and we couldn’t think of anything other than the normal waffles or omelets, but this gives me ideas! I’m inspired and now I want yummy oatmeal noms in my belly!

I totally think the banana gods are out to get me, too… I had the exact same problem a while ago with green bananas!

Brianna (thecatcallstheshots) February 4, 2013

this looks DELICIOUS. I am definitely going to try the bananas foster with (banana-freak alert) banana soft-serve! Such a good healthy dessert idea. Thanks again, Angela!

Talia Fuhrman {Love Your Body 101} February 4, 2013

This looks AMAZING. There is simply nothing better than caramelized bananas and oatmeal!

Mary February 4, 2013

“No one wants a limp banana”

You just made me chuckle at my desk.

Maya February 4, 2013

I think at some grocery stores, you can ask them for ripe bananas and they’ll just give them to you for free! As for me, I use them so often that I buy a ton at a time, and one batch is ripe by the time I buy the next underripe batch.

Page 1 of 3123»