Vegan How To: Replacing Dairy Milk

Catching up?
- Vegan How To: Introduction (Why this series?)
- Part 1: How To Make The Transition

IMG 4147 2 thumb   Vegan How To: Replacing Dairy Milk

Part 2: Replacing Dairy Milk

Today I’d like to talk about one of the first changes that I made in my own personal journey – switching from cow’s milk to non-dairy milk. It was also one of the easiest changes I made thanks to a huge selection of non-dairy milks on the market. I’m always amazed when I see the mammoth wall of non-dairy milk in my grocery store. It’s taking over! There’s really something for everyone from almond milk to flax milk and everything in between.

And, boy, I’ve tried a lot. Here is a list of the non-dairy milks I’ve given a go:

1. Soy milk
  2. Almond milk
  3. Hemp milk
  4. Oat milk
  5. Coconut milk
  6. Rice milk
  7. Almond-coconut milk
  8. Quinoa Milk
  9. Flax milk

I’ll admit, I’m not head over heels for all of them, but I have a few favourites that keep me more than happy.

My personal favourite non-dairy milks:

1. Almond Milk (Whole Foods 365 Organic)

2. Soy Milk (Edensoy Organic)for the protein

Soy milk was the first milk I tried back in 2008/2009 and while I didn’t fall head over heels initially, it eventually grew on my taste buds with time. (Actually, it wasn’t the first time I had soy milk; I was allergic to cow’s milk formula when I was a baby and my mom had to put me on soy milk instead). Soy milk is also the only non-dairy milk (to my knowledge) that has a similar nutritional profile to cow’s milk. My go-to brand of soy milk, Edensoy Organic, has a whopping 12 grams of protein per 1 cup serving making it the soy milk with the highest protein content. The ingredient list is also impressive: just organic soybeans and purified water! It’s great for smoothies when you don’t want to add protein powder, but still want a kick of protein. To be honest, the flavour of it unsweetened isn’t my favourite, but when I mix it into other foods I don’t notice it as much. They also have sweetened varieties of course. No matter the brand you buy, look for organic, GMO-free soy milk whenever possible.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of Edensoy soy milk vs. 2% cow’s milk:

Nutrition Facts
(per 8 fl oz serving)
Unsweetened Soy Milk (Edensoy) 2% Cow’s milk
Calories 120 cals 122 cals
Total fat 6 grams 5 grams
Saturated fat 1 gram 3 grams
Cholesterol 0 mg 20 mg
Sodium 5 mg 100 mg
Potassium 460 mg 366 mg
Total carbohydrate 5 grams 11.5 grams
Dietary fibre 0 gram 0 gram
Sugars 2 grams 12 grams
Protein 12 grams 8 grams

Almond milk. I obviously have a lot of love for this non-dairy milk and it seems to be taking over the world. Almond milk is creamy, deliciously nutty, and blends well into just about anything. My brand of choice is Whole Foods 365 as it is carrageenan free. Almond milk is very low in protein, so be sure to pair it with protein rich vegan foods like hemp seed, chia seed, beans/legumes, protein powder, etc.

Note: Please see my post, Carrageenan in Our Foods for a list of dairy and non-dairy products that contain this potentially harmful ingredient.

What about calcium?

A balanced vegan diet can actually be quite high in calcium even without a lick of dairy. My favourite example – 1 ounce of chia seeds (about 2.5 tbsp) has reportedly 300 mg of calcium. Other non-dairy foods high in calcium include: collard greens (357mg calcium), fortified soymilk (368 mg), black eyed peas (211 mg), firm tofu (204mg), calcium fortified OJ (200mg), blackstrap molasses (172mg), baked beans (154mg), kale (94mg), almonds (70mg) [per serving, source] Be sure to pair calcium rich foods with vitamin C and D rich foods for the best absorption. As extra insurance, I take calcium and vitamin D supplements daily. There are also fortified non-dairy milks on the market (I think these tend to be the refrigerated kind?), so that is an option too. Be sure to read your labels!

Sweetened or unsweetened?

When I started experimenting with non-dairy milk, I always bought the lightly sweetened option. I think this really helped with my transition. Once I got used to the change, I switched to unsweetened varieties. As I’ve said many times in the past, its amazing what the taste buds can get used to with time. If you are starting out, you might want to check out the lightly sweetened varieties to help with your transition. Another option is to make the transition gradual. Having cereal? Why not try subbing half the cow’s milk with non-dairy milk? Or try using creamy almond milk or coconut milk in a cup of tea. There are plenty of ways to gradually ease into the taste.

When I’m doing any savoury cooking, I always use unflavoured and unsweetened almond milk. Keep the vanilla flavoured milk for your sweet recipes and smoothies.

Ok, now I’ll pass it over to you guys!

Have you made the switch from cow’s milk to non-dairy? Was it difficult?

If you drink non-dairy milk, which varieties do you like the best?

Do you prefer sweetened or unsweetened?

Coming up, a homemade nut milk bonanza!

LaceyAnn January 7, 2013

I’m not even trying to become vegan but I actually prefer soy milk! I have always been hesitant to try almond milk because there is less protein. Thanks for the great informative post!

Lauren January 7, 2013

I am not vegan either but I’m the same way… never really cared much for cow’s milk. I buy Almond Breeze. I tried soy milk but the aftertaste turned me off! Love some almond milk though!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 7, 2013

The Mr is obsessed with the almond coconut hybrid from Almond Breeze. He just went from buying 1 regular box to the big ol’ vat so he’s a happy boy! You just reminded me I need my chia shot! :-)

Laura @FoodSnobSTL January 7, 2013

This is really great timing for me. We don’t really drink milk in our house, but our baby is turning 1 this week and needs to make the switch to cow’s milk. I’m not convinced that babies really need as much cow’s milk as they try to tell us, but I gave her a little to see how she would do. Well, she can’t tolerate it (although she can yogurt and cheese), so I’ve been doing lots of reading on alternatives. It seems like the coconut/almond hybrid is the best option, and I had no idea they actually sell them mixed together! Thanks for the helpful info.

Nicki January 7, 2013

Does anyone know if the coconut/almond hybrid is fortified with B12? My 15 month old is still breastfeeding and doesn’t care for soy milk. I put organic soy milk in her oatmeal and smoothies, but I don’t offer it to her to drink plain anymore because she makes a horrible face. I haven’t found anything else fortified with B12 which is important to me, because I understand that B12 is better absorbed in food not in vitamin supplements. Just wondered what your thoughts are. I don’t mind the extended breastfeeding, but I’m also a full time working mom who is WAY sick of pumping:)

Rosalie January 7, 2013

Earth’s Own Almond Fresh coconut blend is fortified :) (including B12). I’m Canadian so I don’t know if they sell it in America. If you’re Canadian, I’ve seen it in Loblaws stores (natural foods, refrigerated) and Costco.

Karen January 22, 2013

I checked that on their webpage. It has carageenan in it.

Rach@twolicious September 2, 2013

Yay for breastfeeding!

Ariel January 7, 2013

Our son just isn’t a milk drinker – neither cow’s milk or milk alternatives. I didn’t worry about it. He had breast milk from me/in a bottle for about 15 months. He never wanted anything else from the bottle, so we just make sure he gets vitamins, etc. from food, and he drinks water, and every now and then some milk or juice from a cup. He’s nearly 2 now, and healthy as can be.

Johanna January 7, 2013

My youngest was also breastfed (wouldn’t take a bottle) and has never tolerated/liked cow’s milk and I never pushed it or forced it on him. He’s now 7 and just starting to enjoy soy milk in his cereal, his preference over the other alternatives, our soy milk of choice is “So Nice organic, plain or original”. I don’t think we need milk at all, he’s very healthy, strong, a little chubby with lots of energy and growing normally for his age. He’s the last kid in his class to lose his first tooth, not sure if that has to do with diet or genetics but “they” say it’s better the longer kids have their baby teeth.

Vicki January 7, 2013

My son is 9 and just lost his first tooth! I think it is genetics since I was 8 when I lost my first one ;)

Martha January 7, 2013

Another anecdote here: My very robust, healthy 4yo son doesn’t do well with cow’s milk but has loved all kinds of non-dairy milk since early toddlerhood, especially hemp and coconut. (He also loves goat milk but I’ll stay on topic here with non-dairy).

One of our pediatricians (a naturopathic doctor) did a nutritional comparison of some non-dairy milks and found that hemp milk has one of the better protein/fat ratios for little ones. http://www.treehousefamilymedicine.com/2012/01/20/smart-sips-not-so-smart/

I also have a friend who chose rice milk as her kid’s daily “milk” but added rice/pea protein powder and flax oil each time to bulk it up nutritionally. Her daughter loved shaking up her own bottle/sippy to mix it together before drinking it. She’s now a healthy 6 year old.

Kimberly Andresen-Reed January 7, 2013

I love almond milk and have been gradually switching to the vegan lifestyle for just under a year now. I never liked drinking milk, so I use it primarily for cooking and baking, and the occasional bowl of granola. My husband is a big milk drinker though and he actually loves the taste of almond milk. It’s so funny to see him react to dairy and meat free options, he’s always quietly skeptical and is frequently very impressed with how delicious most things I make for him are.

I did originally use the unsweetened silk brand, now I’ve switched to Blue Diamond since it’s Non-GMO project verified.

Christine January 7, 2013

I absolutely love almond milk, but I haven’t developed a taste for soy milk yet. I didn’t realize the protein difference was so great between the two. Will have to give soy milk another go. Thanks!

kristle January 7, 2013

i’ve made my own almond, hemp, and cashew milks so far, and tried store bought almond, soy, coconut, almond/coconut (the best!), and flax. almond was my fav for a long time, but now i’m sick of the straining part. takes up too much time! so i opt for ones i can blend that don’t need to be strained. if i’m too busy/lazy i’ll buy the store bought ones, but i hate that they have so many ingredients.

Brenda Finney January 7, 2013

I have been drinking almond milk for years , I just could not wrap my head around drinking either cow’s milk or soya…..it has probably improved but the old soya was thick and awful…the new hybrid, almond coconut sounds delicious so will have to give it a try. I am really going to give your vegan transition a go….thanks for your wonderful website, love it! I have been struggling with an eating disorder for years and that is what brought me to you initally….I saw an article in the Victoria’s Times Colonist regarding your blog….thanks again!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Thank you Brenda, I’m so happy to hear that! let me know what you think of the coconut almond. I was never a big fan of coconut milk on its own, but I love the two together. Take care!

Autumn January 7, 2013

My favorite is the almond coconut blend also! Thanks so much for this vegan series! I’ve been a doing-my-best vegan for about a year.

Desirea January 7, 2013

I used to always use soy milk. But once I finally tried almond, I never went back to soy. I think almond milk is a lot more mild tasting than soy milk. Whenever I use soy in anything, it always over powers the other ingredients. I always use Silk unsweetened light almond milk. I think I has a way milder and less sweeter taste.

Kristina January 7, 2013

When my son was a baby and made the switch to cow’s milk he started to get eczema. Since he was fine with protein but didn’t like dark leafy greens, I switched to unsweetened almond milk (Blue Diamond) as it has the same amount of calcium as cow’s milk. Poof, eczema gone. Now I drink that instead as well, as does my little one, who’s 2. Still trying to convince my husband. ;)

Sarah January 7, 2013

We made the switch to non-dairy products a few years ago. Although my husband and daughter will have cheese once in awhile (I steer clear). We always drank Almond Milk as we loved the taste, but were disappointed when we discovered most brands began adding Carrageenan to their Almond Milk. It’s a thickening agent that has been linked to a lot of stomach problems including major discomfort for some. There is apparently one brand of Almond Milk sold at Whole Foods that have yet to add the ingredient, but we don’t live close to a Whole Foods, so we switched to rice milk instead. Some doctors have stated that carrageenan can lead to ulcers, colitis and even cancer. With me already suffering from IBS, we decided to make the switch to the rice milk. I like the basmati rice milk.

Terry January 7, 2013

Sarah, thanks so much for this info about carrageenan! My husband and I left cows milk and generally made the move to organic food many years ago to improve allergies (which it did). My husband currently drinks soy milk and has terrible problems with inflammation and ibs. I just had no idea that carrageenan could be contributing to his illness–the soy milk he drinks does contain carrageenan. We’re immediately switching to food that does not contain carrageenan with the hopes that it might help–keep your fingers crossed. :-) Also, I found a great website this morning that discusses both carrageenan and the role of the USDA’s National Organic Standards Board–see cornucopia.org.

Angela, thank you for this vegan primer. Any and everything that I can learn to help improve both my and my family’s nutrition is so appreciated. I discovered your blog last summer–your recipes appear on our table at least twice a week. Thank you so much for your blog–everything about it rocks–your enthusiasm, your drive, your lovely writing, and your beautiful photography. Have a wonderful new year! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Thank you both for pointing about about carrageenan. I had no idea about this ingredient and I’m SO glad you brought it to my attention. I am looking into it today and will be doing a follow up post next along with a list of brands that do not contain it.

eatingrd January 7, 2013

I too learned about carragenan and how it is a possible carcinogen? Crazy how these food companies can put these products in the food supply. I really love coconut milk but can’t find any brand without it :-(

Johanna January 7, 2013

I really think, as a British person, that Kara coconut milk is delicious in a good old English tea :) It’s the only one I have really found that comes anywhere close.

Lana January 15, 2013

I drink Kara coconut milk too, it’s my favourite at the moment, with Almond milk. It has carrageenan in it though, which only became significant after reading this article!

Is anyone able to advise me if locust bean gum and gellan gum are alright, as I know this is in Alpro’s milk products?

Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 7, 2013

Ever since I discovered I was lactose intolerant, even the smell of cow’s milk disgusts me. Didn’t feel like moving on to Lactaid for that reason and converted to soy. Then, almond milk came along, and I felt better about having that than soy… so that’s what I drink now. I have certainly had my rounds with the other milks (hemp, rice, etc.), but almond is my favorite.

The key for me was to realize that non-dairy milk is great for baking and the occasional bowl of cereal or oatmeal, but it’s NOT the aim to replace cow’s milk. I typically can’t really drink almond/soy milk on its own… kinda yucky. Also, since many alternative milks often don’t have as much protein or calcium or whatnot than cow’s milk, I just get that stuff elsewhere and don’t rely on any kind of milk to do it for me.

SudsyMaggie January 7, 2013

Homemade cashew milk (a la Vegan Vittles) – so easy & so yummo! BUT! I use a lot of milk so I also buy Silk unsweetened (organic, non-GMO).

Chelsea January 7, 2013

I’ve yet to find a non-milk I don’t like. Despite the long ingredient lists, I love to indulge in flavors like chocolate hazelnut milk and vanilla chai rice milk. I agree with Kristle that straining can be a pain when making your own, but I love the leftover pulp from homemade cashew milk. I stir in a bit of coconut-almond yogurt and I have some awesome vegan cream cheese.

Sarah January 7, 2013

I love dairy milk but recently gave it up (before becoming full vegan) for health reasons. I have eczema so I decided to cut out dairy to see if it would help with my flare ups. I also used to get severe headaches 3-4 times a week. I tried almond milk first but now oat milk is my preferred non-dairy milk. Tried hemp milk once which I found disgusting! Since switching from dairy to non-dairy I’ve had no headaches (since October!) and my eczema is a lot more manageable. I saw a coconut-rice milk blend in the shops over here in the UK the other day so I think I’d like to try that one next :)

Ceil January 7, 2013

I just found the coconut milk at Trader Joe’s and I’ve been using that quite often; it seems creamier than the almond milk. I also like Silk’s seasonal flavors and RiceNog is a good substitute for eggnog (but it is pretty high calorie/fat/sugar, so it’s a treat only).

Christina D January 7, 2013

My current favorite is Silk Pure Almond, but I also really like So Delicious Coconut Milk and Almond Breeze Almond Milk.

Lauren (@poweredbypb) January 7, 2013

I was never a big milk drinker so the change wasn’t too hard for me, initially I used soy milk but after reading up a bit about processed soy and it’s effects, I changed to almond and coconut milk which I love. I like to make my own almond milk mostly as it’s crazy expensive over here in Dublin!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 7, 2013

I’m not vegan, but after trying almond milk a few years ago I could never go back to cow’s. Milk always had a funny after taste to me, plus when I have a lot of dairy my skin suffers.

Erika January 7, 2013

When I thought about going vegan, I switched over to almond milk and really enjoyed it, especially in cereal. I haven’t gone back to cow’s milk since! I normally buy unsweetened since I also cook with it (although sometimes it still makes things taste a little off, so I’m still looking for a good sub), but sweetened is a welcome indulgence :) I used to buy solely Almond Breeze, but lately I’ve been hooked on Silk! So creamy…although I know some brands use weird thickeners, so I’m excited for your homemade nut milks!

Chelsea January 7, 2013

I don’t know if this question was asked yet (I skimmed through, but didn’t see it) I was just curious what the recipe was for the beautiful picture.. or if it’s just granola and fruit? Whatever it is, it looks lovely and DELICIOUS! If you don’t mind please share! :)

I love following your blog, I started following you this summer and told you I started my transition from vegetarianism to veganism, and it’s been really successful! Thank you for your inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Hey Chelsea, heh how dare I tease you without a link? It was a breakfast cereal post I did a while back http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/08/the-cereal-challenge-high-protein-high-fibre-cereal/
Thanks for your sweet words about the blog!

Kat January 7, 2013

I was a vegan from 2010-2012 but started drinking non-dairy milk before that, due to a severe dairy allergy. It wasn’t a difficult transition because I’ve always hated milk and never drank it in the first place. As I was sensitive to soy, I bought almond milk. I hated it! It was really sweet. I ended up foregoing drinking non-dairy milk altogether instead of slugging down the almond milk. Eventually I discovered an unsweetened kind, and while the taste was still off to me I used it in smoothies and cereal. My true love was discovered when I first moved to England: organic unsweetened soy. After removing dairy from my diet my soy sensitivity eventually went away, but I’d still never tried soy milk. Anywho, it was the cheapest one at the grocery store so I thought I’d give it a go. It ended up tasting fantastic. Not too sweet and not too creamy. It’s my go-to milk now.

I’ve also tried rice milk (too sweet) and coconut milk (too watery). I’d love to try some of the other new milks on the market. Quinoa, flax, oat, hemp… they all sound awesome! And it’s a nice way of diversifying my milk, which has been unsweetened almond in smoothies and soups, and soy in everything else.

Katy @ MonsterProof January 7, 2013

I discovered I was lactose intolerant during college, though only fully switched to alternatives probably 7 years ago. I really didn’t drink much milk before, so it wasn’t so ingrained. That said, I always did soy until my son was 1 and wouldn’t drink cow’s milk. I wasn’t willing to give him soy, so we played with other options, and I drank all the leftovers. ;) Nowadays, as I get to choose again, I usually alternate between unsweetened almond and coconut. I should try the hybrid!

Nadiya January 7, 2013

I pretty much never drink milk but I do have soy milk every once in a while. I really enjoy the taste and I stick to the Non-GMO variety. Black soy milk is uber tasty too ;). The cool thing about non-dairy milks is that you can make these at home. Have leftover rice? Put it in a blender with some water and you get rice milk ^^ Saves a trip to the grocery store during emergencies.

Ashley January 7, 2013

I used to be a pretty big cow’s milk drinker. Skim of all kinds, which makes me cringe now. I rarely buy cow’s milk now but do sometimes still use it and use half&half in my coffee. Definitely always organic and I can find local/organic milk in town. The main milk I drink is Whole Foods unsweetened organic almond milk. They finally came out with an unswt. vanilla version which I also love. I like using almond milk because it doesn’t add too much bulk to the meals (breakfast/smoothies) I incorporate it into. I tend to eat calorie dense breakfasts and like being able to use almond milk. However, I really enjoy soymilk, especially the Eden brand you mentioned. You mentioned it in a post awhile back and once I found it I loved it. The thing that keeps me from buying it more often is the price. I feel the most comfortable buying that brand of soymilk, although many others are also non-GMO and organic. I still try to avoid eating soy on a daily basis but I definitely switch back and forth from soy to almond sometimes. I’m not sure that I’ll go 100% non-dairy but I’ve definitely transitioned away from it and have been fine in the calcium + iron departments. :) These posts are great, Ange!

Ashley January 7, 2013

p.s. I also ADORE hemp milk but it’s also quite pricey, so I only grab it when it’s on sale.

erin January 7, 2013

I too was on soy milk formula as an infant! My boyfriend and I alternate between Trader Joe’s unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Making the switch has done miracles for my skin (no more breakouts!) and nasal congestion (gone!).

Jennifer January 7, 2013

Almond Milk is my GO TO but I would like to try Quinoa Milk…as I am a fan of Quinoa anyways!

Mary January 7, 2013

I never liked milk as a child not even the milk for lactose intolerence. When I got my own place I was already vegetarian but I still used regular milk when a recipe called for it I would just buy the smallest container and still the rest would spoil before I needed milk again. I would interchange regular milk with soy milk but I didn’t like the taste of soy milk either. When I started shopping at Trader Joes a few years ago I started using their store brand shelf stable rice milk and than changed over to the regular unsweetened almond milk about a year ago. I’ve finally found a millk that my body can tolerate and that tastes good to me.

Andrea January 7, 2013

We drink almond milk. My husband and son are allergic to everything dairy! It’s a good thing…it’s made us more aware of what we are putting in our bodies. We are strictly vegans now and we love it!

Albert Ellenich January 7, 2013

I’m big on Almond Breeze unsweetened, vanilla and dark chocolate varieties. I switched from cow’s milk last year, though still ate limited dairy in other varieties, and saw a big drop in my cholesterol levels. I couldn’t really attribute the difference to any other changes I made, so..here’s to more almond milk!

I blend the chocolate varieties with malted milk for a fantastic milkshake snack. I don’t even miss the ice cream!

Katie January 7, 2013

Everyone in my house drinks Silk Pure Almond! So yummy =D
I’ve just been able to access the unsweetened Vanilla and Original and plan to stick with those as much as possible and the Silk Pure Almond Chocolate Milk is SUCH a great treat.

Jessica O. January 7, 2013

I transitioned out of regular milk fairly easily. I was one of those weird kids who never drank cow’s milk– I only ever found it acceptable in my cereal, which continued into adulthood. I was pretty happy to give it up! Even on weeks when I decide to incorporate some dairy into my diet (I’m not completely vegan just yet!), I only ever drink almond milk. I used to do sweetened varieties, but recently transitioned to unsweetened. I hardly notice the difference anymore!

Soy milk doesn’t agree with my tummy, which is too bad, because I love it in espresso drinks. Flax milk, on the other hand, is another upcoming favorite of mine. It’s pretty low in calories, but really tasty and easy on the GI tract! :)

Amanda January 7, 2013

I have made the switch to non-dairy milk and my choice is almond milk all the way. I like the silk brand, especially because it has b12 and I needed that. I switched because I am lactose intolerant and could no longer handle the cows milk. I don’t use a lot of milk in savory cooking, but I still usually get unsweetened original. I love the vanilla and sweetened kinds but I stick with simple because I don’t drink it by the glass.

For me, the switch was easy! I felt so terrible having dairy that feeling good worked. I associated the taste of cows milk with upset stomach so it was no problem.

I will sometimes use coconut milk for a treat, but the flavour can be overwhelming. I first tried almond milk when I made it myself! SO yummy, I ever got my boyfriend hooked!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 7, 2013

I have to admit that replacing the milk in my morning coffee was THE thing I was most worried about when omitting dairy – but it turns out it was the easiest! I actually looooove almond milk (plain unsweetened – none of the sweetened stuff for me!) and even now that I eat some dairy again, I still use almond milk. Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Do you use almond milk in your coffee? I always pour in a ton when I make coffee and im pretty in love with it myself.

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 7, 2013

Yes I do! Like you said, I love the nutty flavor it adds.

Anne January 7, 2013

I just discovered the Almond coconut milk and it is amazing!! My new favorite hands down. It has a great flavor and froths beautifully as well for my morning lattes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Good tip about the frothing, I will have to try that!

Christine @ Shot Bun January 7, 2013

Like many of the previous posters, I was never a big cow’s milk drinker. I really only had it in my cereal or when I was younger and my mom forced me to drink a glass at dinner. Making the switch to almond milk was really easy for me. I love the taste and I have no problem drinking the non-sweetened stuff. I don’t love soy milk but I’ll buy it if it is on sale.

Jess January 7, 2013

I LOVE SoDelicious Coconut Milk. The unsweeted kind is my fave – though the chocolate is a nice treat! They had a chocolate mint for the holidays that made the best hot cocoa when warmed up. Delish!

Mary January 7, 2013

I used to think soy milk had a strong, funny after taste but now it’s my fav! It’s so rich and creamy, much creamier than almond or rice milk. I do love Almond Breeze though, it’s also lighter in calories. I have still never tried hemp milk, that will be the next one I try! This is most defiantly the easiest thing to do in your diet to ease into veganism. Most people don’t know the difference when it’s in their cereal and many prefer it to regular milk. Humans are not meant to consumer dairy after nursing! No wonder why we have such poor digestion. When I eliminated dairy my digestive system did a 180, it is perfect now. Great post!

Andrea January 7, 2013

I love Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk. You can’t go wrong with only 70 cal for 8 oz. (I tried the regular but it was too sweet for me.) I started drinking it to gradually wean off dairy products (I was experimenting with going dairy free to clear up my skin from acne and even out my complexion…which worked!) The only thing is, I wish dairy milk alternatives were CHEAPER than regular milk or at least similar in price. Beause you usually only get a half gallon for about the same price as what a regular gallon of milk costs. I think people would be more apt to buy them.

Andrea January 7, 2013

(I meant this as a regular comment not a reply…sorry!)

Cara January 7, 2013

AGREED. Unlike most posters, I have always enjoyed drinking dairy milk, especially chocolate milk. So I tried Silk chocolate soy milk and found it an acceptable substitute, though I couldn’t honestly say I liked it as much. But the killer was that it was lower in protein (5 g compared with 8 g) and WAY more expensive. Not to mention that I know soy milks are really processed. So I haven’t stuck with that change. I feel drawn to try again, but it’s hard to justify when it’s SO expensive. I tried almond milk and found it watery, and I didn’t like the taste. I use it in recipes and even in smoothies, but cannot have it on its own.

Page 1 of 41234»